• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sure she got nerfed.

Blaze93

Smash Rookie
First and Foremost: SHEIK WAS FREAKING GOOD IN MELEE ITS HARD TO BELIEVE THAT SHE WOULD GET BUFFED A LOT MORE

Shiek got nerfed a lot from Melee and all the tier lists are saying that too. I mained Sheik in melee for a reason.

1. She was fast
2. She had the ability to combo
3. She had a good recovery
4. Good aerials.
5. Needles

I see the same in her in Brawl, to a certain extent I like her more in Brawl, but she is a little less powerfull. But not enough for everyone to ditch her. Comboes are hard, if not dont exist in Brawl. Shek can still combo. I am a little late for this aint I? Month or two after Brawl came out. The other issue I hear a lot about is her needles being worst. As far as I know she has the only projectile that does 20 damage ( 19? ) last time I checked, but I may be wrong. Also they are saying it doesnt cancel out other projectiles AS EASILY.

Point is, sheik still owns.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion what did she mainly lose......Fair thats all and CG

L__

Smash Master
Blaze93 said:
I mained Sheik in melee for a reason.

1. She was fast
2. She had the ability to combo
3. She had a good recovery
4. Good aerials.
5. Needles
You forgot the fact that Sheik was amazingly noob friendly.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
Or another Sheik thats god Ftilted, Sheik is still noob to play. FtiltX100 Ftilt into up smash etc etc

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the only four things that Sheik lost were the following:

1) The ability to chaingrab. Boo hoo. Learn to actually play.
2) Fair's kill-power. I actually like this, because it makes sheik less dependent on this single aerial
3) Dair became even more useless. Oh no, sheik's least useful aerial is still never going to see play.
4) Overall kill-power. This is the only one that really hurts. It just means Sheik players need to work a little harder.

However, all of the following things have been improved:

1) Overall speed. Sheik runs faster, jumps faster, moves in the air faster, lands faster, attacks faster, everythings faster! The landing lag on all of her aerials used to be minimal, now it is all but nonexistant (barring down aerial).
2) Jump height. Sheik now has a legit shorthop, and it's actually a fairly good one.
3) Uptilt. It was a decent move in the first game, but they buffed it like crazy. This move has a HUGE hitbox, a HUGE duration, incredibly good damage (13% if both hit), high priority, and very good knockback. At low percentages, it knocks them right into forward tilt range. At mid percentages, you can usually walk into a forward tilt, or else dash attack, fsmash, running usmash, or shorthop and aerial. At very high percentages (around 200%), it can kill, but this is unreliable unless you're facing like a Jigglypuff who won't go off the side (jiggly dies at more like 160%)
4) Ftilt. It became even MORE comboable. Sure, it lost a little bit of damage, but this is arguably one of the top five tilts in the game (I'd put sheik's uptilt there as well. The other three are probably something like Snake's Ftilt and Utilt and Dedede's Uptilt). Can lock many characters, and insures great damage against most. Can also set up kills.
5) Side B. Went from the least useful move to a reliable recovery and edgeguard tactic.
6) Jab. Went from near unusable to a good damage-builder or combo starter (if jab faked)
7) Fthrow and Bthrow. These saw very little use in Melee, but they do good damage and set up a DI trap in Brawl.

ADHD

Smash Hero
No sheik is amazing, she's still my favorite main, even if I'm better with others. She is a trump card against certain characters IMO, and can keep up with metas speed, even if its a very difficult battle.

Yeah, you may just wanna, not underestimate a meta with sheik

popsofctown

Smash Champion

2) Fair's kill-power. I actually like this, because it makes sheik less dependent on this single aerial
3) Dair became even more useless. Oh no, sheik's least useful aerial is still never going to see play.
4) Overall kill-power. This is the only one that really hurts. It just means Sheik players need to work a little harder.

1) Overall speed. Sheik runs faster, jumps faster, moves in the air faster, lands faster, attacks faster, everythings faster! The landing lag on all of her aerials used to be minimal, now it is all but nonexistant (barring down aerial).
2) Jump height. Sheik now has a legit shorthop, and it's actually a fairly good one.
3) Uptilt. It was a decent move in the first game, but they buffed it like crazy. This move has a HUGE hitbox, a HUGE duration, incredibly good damage (13% if both hit), high priority, and very good knockback. At low percentages, it knocks them right into forward tilt range. At mid percentages, you can usually walk into a forward tilt, or else dash attack, fsmash, running usmash, or shorthop and aerial. At very high percentages (around 200%), it can kill, but this is unreliable unless you're facing like a Jigglypuff who won't go off the side (jiggly dies at more like 160%)
4) Ftilt. It became even MORE comboable. Sure, it lost a little bit of damage, but this is arguably one of the top five tilts in the game (I'd put sheik's uptilt there as well. The other three are probably something like Snake's Ftilt and Utilt and Dedede's Uptilt). Can lock many characters, and insures great damage against most. Can also set up kills.
5) Side B. Went from the least useful move to a reliable recovery and edgeguard tactic.
6) Jab. Went from near unusable to a good damage-builder or combo starter (if jab faked)
7) Fthrow and Bthrow. These saw very little use in Melee, but they do good damage and set up a DI trap in Brawl.
In my humble opinion, Sheik's single most buffed move is her down special. :chuckle:

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman

Just a little reminder, you left out her Up-B. :) It now actually has the power to KO someone at a high percentage, unlike in Melee.

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
wtf... no... her biggest nerf is her inabilty to cancel lag after doing the needle storm, the inability of needles to cancel projectiles such as samus's charged shot, and the fact that the needles just arent really combo-able anymore

yes.. her needles do rack up a nice 18%, help you regain the ledge when recovering, and may even help you gimp pits recovery... but its just not that great as it used to be seeing how it was one of sheiks greatest approach -___- wtf am i maining sheik again? XD haha just kiddingz... i love you guys :]

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I hear that Imdavid, I know I would be at least twice as good if they left the needles alone, needle storm cancel was like Sheiks most broken option in Melee and I loved it.

Oh and yeah her ^B got a lot of buffs my personal favorite being if you fall a set distance after reappear you get zero ^B lag upon landing. This is great for doing a quick shielding of a attack or even going straight into a down smash.

By the way Wildfire393 Sheik jab was much better in Melee as it was a great high percentage set up move for the fair. It also give her opponents a large amount of hit stun and best of all if someone broke free of a grab you could jab them before they could either shield or punch back.

It was soooo fantastic that even having the ability of giving 20 or so damage will never over shadow it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I hear that Imdavid, I know I would be at least twice as good if they left the needles alone, needle storm cancel was like Sheiks most broken option in Melee and I loved it.
/agree

Oh and yeah her ^B got a lot of buffs my personal favorite being if you fall a set distance after reappear you get zero ^B lag upon landing. This is great for doing a quick shielding of a attack or even going straight into a down smash.
This did actually happen in Melee too, but it was a MUCH smaller window of time and it involved landing from pretty high up, while Sheik's landing lag in general from her Up+B was greatly diminished in Brawl.

By the way Wildfire393 Sheik jab was much better in Melee as it was a great high percentage set up move for the fair. It also give her opponents a large amount of hit stun and best of all if someone broke free of a grab you could jab them before they could either shield or punch back.
Sheik's single jab was one of the best setups ever in Melee. It's more useful just to getting lots of damage with rapid jabs in Brawl, and that's about all it can do, besides the occasional jab dsmash. : ( Stupid fixed knockback on the first jab.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
at first i thought like most ppl probably that she got worse b/c her quickness and combos fit melee's physics better but i've really warmed up to her now

sheiks still got it

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
I have to say Sheik is a still a beast from the Middle East (and definitely way more vicious than Zelda; Sheik uses her hands to rip people apart, no need for magic :] ). Despite the changes from Melee to Brawl, I find playing Sheik to be more refreshing now. She has a much more flexible recovery now that her Chain can be used as a tether and allows Sheik to exploit her gimping abilities better. Also, her Vanish makes for a wonderful surprise KO move that is immensely satisfying when it lands. Hopefully Sheik will be able to stir up the metagame scene in the near future :D

Go Sheik!!

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Dair was always Sheik's least useful aerial, but you're on crack if you think its Melee incarnation was as bad as you're making it out to be.
This is true. The dair was occasionally useful in Melee, and not really so in brawl. It still has its odd uses though, like getting through an Olimar upsmash and mindgaming.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
a lot of times people will get hit by dair if you are above them and they are coming up for an aerial

unexpected risky attack etc.

Top Bottom