• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SuperGirlKels Signed By Team Detonate

Another Smash player has been signed! Team Detonate announced yesterday night that SuperGirlKels would be joining their Smash team. She is a tournament organizer for the Uproar Tournament series in Canada and recently joined the ranks of Villyness for women to take a top five placement at a major tournament having gotten 4th at Canada Cup. She expressed excitement at joining the team.

SuperGirlKels Taking On StylesX2

"Being picked up by Detonate is like finding home." she said. "It was just what I always look for in a team. I play Smash for what it is: a game. But it's something I take passion in and it's something I want to succeed in both results, and goal wise." Even being sponsored she doesn't plan to stop rising up through the ranks. "Being 16 years old walking into 2012's Apex, I remember looking up on stage and saying "I wanna be there one day". In 2015, I've finally accomplished being on stage. But the biggest step I'd like to take in Smash is becoming a top player."

She is expected to play under the Detonate banner for the first time at Smash Intensifies 2. To see her or her new team be sure to follow her on Twitter or check out her official announcement on Team Detonate's website. Excited to see her at future events? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future sponsorship coverage!

Last edited:

Comments

She would be my dream girl....except, she mains Sonic.

I guess it's cool to know, she's pretty good but I mean, she isn't necessarily some top tier player joining a grand tournament, and this team has already been established but isn't top level. It's just weird to see an article about this, but hey, it's kind of cool to see a player with some tournament experience get accepted to any sort of team. Even if it's a Sonic player not named 6WX.

Last edited:
She would be my dream girl....except, she mains Sonic.

I guess it's cool to know, she's pretty good but I mean, she isn't necessarily some top tier player joining a grand tournament, and this team has already been established but isn't top level. It's just weird to see an article about this, but hey, it's kind of cool to see a player with some tournament experience get accepted to any sort of team. Even if it's a Sonic player not named 6WX.
Well, she also mains Kirby, so that's cool.

One of my inspirations for Sonic along with 6WX, Komorikiri and Camalange. I would die if I could get the chance to play with either. Every time I play and then see them go at it in their matches it just makes me wish I could react as fast, go as fast and keep a consistent flow in a fight.

Whenever I feel I'm getting better or if I'm on a winning streak I'll get beat on FG and just sink low in the depths of "Welp, I'll never be good enough". A near endless struggle but seeing them play just inspires the inner Sanic in me and the need to go fast takes over again.

What was the point in saying all this? Congratulations to one of my favorite Sonic players.

Last edited:
Great news! Definitely an underrated player that doesn't get enough credit if you as me. She plays :4sonic:,:4kirby:, and :4villagerf:, Kirby whom I main and the latter two I use as secondaries so naturally she's a good inspiration for me. She's also good friends with Mike Kirby and in general has great personality so I wish her the best of luck!

Also, LOL at some of these comments.

I'm happy for her but..

She's gonna get a lot of hate for being a Sonic main. Trust me, as both Sonic fan and main, I've been a victim of many people, especially the Smash community.

I'm happy for her but..

She's gonna get a lot of hate for being a Sonic main. Trust me, as both Sonic fan and main, I've been a victim of many people, especially the Smash community.
If people hate you for your character, you're doing a good job and shouldn't stop playing him.

Hello everyone thank you for such support it's an honor to be on the front page of Smashboards! :D
Now to introduce and answer to some people:
1) I've been a Sonic main since brawl and people have respected my playstyle since. Never really got hate for my playstyle before. :)
2) Styles is a great friend who has potential of being the best megaman. I have played Zucco and more. This was a youtube video we did for fun. XD
3) Hates or not. I play the game cuz I love it. Hope all of you can accept that and continue to help me grow instead of trying to put every female player down. =)

Thank you! and I'll be seeing you at the next major! :D

3) Hates or not. I play the game cuz I love it. Hope all of you can accept that and continue to help me grow instead of trying to put every female player down. =)

The fact that you specifically mentioned female in specific makes me feel like you have some worry about something negative happening due to you being female, so I'll just respond.

Don't worry about being put down because of your gender. Nobody in this community (or in any video game community, really) really does that, and those that do are just joking around and isn't meant to be mean-spirited. Trolls also exist, but they try to get people of both genders irritated and will just do whatever insult(s) seems to get the best result, so it's best not to get offended. Just play the best you can, while knowing that slip ups will occur occasionally, improve, and have fun! :)

Last edited:
The fact that you specifically mentioned female in specific makes me feel like you have some worry about something negative happening due to you being female, so I'll just respond.

Don't worry about being put down because of your gender. Nobody in this community (or in any video game community, really) really does that, and those that do are just joking around and isn't meant to be mean-spirited. Trolls also exist, but they try to get people of both genders irritated and will just do whatever insult(s) seems to get the best result, so it's best not to get offended. Just play the best you can, while knowing that slip ups will occur occasionally, improve, and have fun! :)
Thank you so much for the courage! :D Im not really afraid of that I've never been! :) But I see some comments only talking about that so its like ugh. u no? but naw its not something that I care about or my "goal is to be a top female smasher" thats not me :) Thank you very much and its true, i cant listen to what people say. Thank you :)

With that said though, Thank you all for your support! :D With Detonate, I will continue to grow and achieve my dream of become a top player made to entertain you all! :D

Thank you so much for the courage! :D Im not really afraid of that I've never been! :) But I see some comments only talking about that so its like ugh. u no? but naw its not something that I care about or my "goal is to be a top female smasher" thats not me :) Thank you very much and its true, i cant listen to what people say. Thank you :)
It makes me very happy that you responded to me so kindly haha! Glad you know! Have fun! :D

Well your kind to help me and reply to I'm nice to those who are nice too! :D I'm overall just a person who listens so X) Thank you again! :D

Nobody in this community (or in any video game community, really) really does that, and those that do are just joking around and isn't meant to be mean-spirited.
Is this a joke too? Because it isn't really all that funny.

Already cringing at this comment section smh
Pidge, what is a "sexism"?
I am poor gamerboy please help me understand why girls don't like this community. We are so inclusive to everyone especially women. I try to talk to girls who go to tournaments as much as possible because it is hot and cool for girls to like video games and it makes me think I might not be a goner but for some reason they just stop coming after a few times but I try so hard to make it clear that I want them to know I love them so much. Is it because boys are smelly?

Inb4 flaming. Inb4 people don't get the joke. Inb4 warning for me. Inb4 totally worth it.

But seriously, it is about ****ing time.
Idk why people don't see why this is a huge deal.

Good **** Smash community, and Good **** Kels.

I don't even really follow competitive smash, but GO HER! For a woman to be accepted into a game team/company despite all the sexism there is in gaming culture is a true achievement! Seriously go her, I believe that the more female and non male (aka non binary gendered, so they're neither male nor female) players there are, the less sexism will be tolerated, which is truly better for the world and gaming as a whole.

I love playing ZSS but I just wish there was a way to make her not look so objectifying, like seriously unless those things have their own hit box they should NOT be so prominent in the game. And look at half of her outfits which I'm pretty sure would qualify her for a job at... ok how do I put this?....A job at a certain kind of super objectifying "restaurant"

And next we have Peach, who is basically the apitomy of what an uber sexist tool would think a girl's version of super powers is! Seriously, she shoots rainbows and hearts out of her hand...and floats on a magic PINK umbrella. WTF?

The only three non sexist female character designs I've seen are Lucina who sucks as a character clone (the male character as a male character should not have to be better), Zelda who at least can wipe the floor with you, but is bad as a playable character, and Sheik who is possibly Zelda's Male persona (I think Zelda could be Gender fluid, aka sometimes they're a guy, aka Sheik, sometimes they're a girl aka Zelda), and specifically doesn't look female, but still is the top tier character.
/end rant

Last edited:
I don't even really follow competitive smash, but GO HER! For a woman to be accepted into a game team/company despite all the sexism there is in gaming culture is a true achievement! Seriously go her, I believe that the more female and non male (aka non binary gendered, so they're neither male nor female) players there are, the less sexism will be tolerated, which is truly better for the world and gaming as a whole.

I love playing ZSS but I just wish there was a way to make her not look so objectifying, like seriously unless those things have their own hit box they should NOT be so prominent in the game. And look at half of her outfits which I'm pretty sure would qualify her for a job at... ok how do I put this?....A job at a certain kind of super objectifying "restaurant"

And next we have Peach, who is basically the apitomy of what an uber sexist tool would think a girl's version of super powers is! Seriously, she shoots rainbows and hearts out of her hand...and floats on a magic PINK umbrella. WTF?

The only three non sexist female character designs I've seen are Lucina who sucks as a character clone (the male character as a male character should not have to be better), Zelda who at least can wipe the floor with you, but is bad as a playable character, and Sheik who is possibly Zelda's Male persona (I think Zelda could be Gender fluid, aka sometimes they're a guy, aka Sheik, sometimes they're a girl aka Zelda), and specifically doesn't look female, but still is the top tier character.
/end rant
I realize the merit in what you are saying, and how hypocritical it is for me to say the following (given my previous post), but this is probably not a good idea.

I realize the merit in what you are saying, and how hypocritical it is for me to say the following (given my previous post), but this is probably not a good idea.
???? I meant to say go her for overcoming the challenges of sexism and being so good, to the point where top groups have no choice but to accept her. I know there are people that aren't sexist etc that play smash, but there's still inherent sexism even if we don't realize it ourselves. Being female shouldn't have to be a big obstacle for achievements and goals, due to sexism. And when someone overcomes that BS obstacle I will celebrate that person as they are an inspiration to all people of their gender. Seriously Kelly, go you!

Hello everyone thank you for such support it's an honor to be on the front page of Smashboards! :D
Now to introduce and answer to some people:
1) I've been a Sonic main since brawl and people have respected my playstyle since. Never really got hate for my playstyle before. :)
2) Styles is a great friend who has potential of being the best megaman. I have played Zucco and more. This was a youtube video we did for fun. XD

I've actually respected your playstyle for a while myself. I kinda have a love hate relationship with Brawl because it was the game I started playing competitively with, but it is unfiltered garbage. You were one of the few players that I enjoyed watching. Players like you make me want to get up off my ass and learn Smash 4 instead of complaining about it.

Thanks for being cool.

???? I meant to say go her for overcoming the challenges of sexism and being so good, to the point where top groups have no choice but to accept her. I know there are people that aren't sexist etc that play smash, but there's still inherent sexism even if we don't realize it ourselves. Being female shouldn't have to be a big obstacle for achievements and goals, due to sexism. And when someone overcomes that BS obstacle I will celebrate that person as they are an inspiration to all people of their gender. Seriously Kelly, go you!
I said that I understand the merit in your post. If you read my previous posts you would have seen that I agree with you wholeheartedly. I just don't think your breakdown on what makes certain characters sexist is going to go over well.

Is there like a "sexism in the smash community discussion thread?" I feel like that should be a thing.

With a militia of 24 hour rotating moderators assigned to it, and it alone that is.

Last edited:
I'm happy for her but..

Gee, I should main Sonic. I looooove making people salty because of whatever character I play. :4villagerf:

Is this a joke too? Because it isn't really all that funny.

Pidge, what is a "sexism"?
I am poor gamerboy please help me understand why girls don't like this community. We are so inclusive to everyone especially women. I try to talk to girls who go to tournaments as much as possible because it is hot and cool for girls to like video games and it makes me think I might not be a goner but for some reason they just stop coming after a few times but I try so hard to make it clear that I want them to know I love them so much. Is it because boys are smelly?

Inb4 flaming. Inb4 people don't get the joke. Inb4 warning for me. Inb4 totally worth it.

But seriously, it is about ****ing time.
Idk why people don't see why this is a huge deal.

Good **** Smash community, and Good **** Kels.
ikr? "As a man let me explain to women how there are no sexists in the gaming community, except for all the people who are sexist"

(this is why girls, non binary people, and trans dudes stick together and legitimately don't take this kind of advice seriously rofl... the more you know, guys)

Kels rules and the rest of us knew it. <3

Edit: also wtf at the rant about zss/peach? Ive had discussions with other female smashers before about how we all roll our eyes at dudes complaining about zss "sexist" character design lmao. Also peach rules, have you never played super mario rpg? There is no right or wrong way to be a girl, and smash's character diversity shows that.

Last edited:
Not really a fan of Sonic's playstyle in this game, but this was a very entertaining exhibition. Digging Kels's patience and skill with footsies.

Top Bottom