• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Specials for Ryu/Ken

QuantumEntanglement

Smash Rookie
With Terry Bogard now added to the game, Sakurai has set an important precedent in Smash. While Terry has fewer moves in general than the Shotos, Buster Wolf and Power Geyser are now the most complex command inputs in the game. This means that Sakurai, on some level, is confident that players will be willing and able to learn and use the command inputs in actual matches.

What does this mean for Ryu and Ken? As I'm sure most of you know, the command input for Terry's Buster Wolf is the exact same as Ryu's Shinku Hadoken and Ken's Shinryuken (double QCF + attack) both of which are currently available only as a Final Smash.

Ryu and Ken have 2 different Final Smashes apiece, one for up close and one for longer ranges. My proposal would be to remove their long-distance Final Smashes, Shinku Hadoken and Shinryuken, and add them back in as Super Specials than can be performed at above 100% damage like Terry. If you want something more like the original games, it could be an actual SF2-style Super meter, which could build by using specials like in the games. The Super Specials need to be adjusted, of course. Personally, I'd make Shinku Hadoken a normal Hadoken size but keep the vacuum effect and explosive last hit, kinda like Hero's Kaboom. Shinryuken is probably good as-is, but with a vertical range reduction it'd be perfect.

What do you guys think? Would Super Specials make Ryu and Ken broken?

Last edited:

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
These changes would not make them by any means broken. They would benefit from this by helping them compete against top tiers and characters with major comeback features (pretty much all newer DLC fighters), and make them more unique like in their own game series. I’ve mained Ryu since his release in smash 4, so I’ve really gotten to see him drop off the map and become a rather weak character throughout changes (especially just moving from 4 into ultimate).

I’ve advocated and like the idea of giving both of them an EX meter. I know they are designed after their SF2 selves, which don’t have it, but this probably is what they need. Though, I believe honestly that letting them use an Ultra/Super from a full bar would be too much, but allowing them to use upgraded versions of their specials (EX Shoryu, Tatsumaki, and Hadoken) would be great.

As they fight, take damage, and deal damage, their bar will fill slowly. EX shoryu could kill around 10% earlier than a normal shoryu. EX Tatsumaki would have good damage output and sucks in the opponent from a long range normal (like medium d-tilt). EX Hadoken would be a stronger and faster Hadoken which has far less recovery frames than the standard Hadoken.

Truth said, this sadly will not occur during Ultimate’s lifetime. Such large changes are rather unrealistic to be added in, so if this became a reality, it would most likely happen in Smash 6.

Last edited:

FoolishHero

Smash Rookie
In their current state? Ryu and Ken would become top tier characters no question. Current Shoto meta has them conservatively at high tier if you are proficient with them.

Hobo-jho1992

Smash Rookie
With Terry Bogard now added to the game, Sakurai has set an important precedent in Smash. While Terry has fewer moves in general than the Shotos, Buster Wolf and Power Geyser are now the most complex command inputs in the game. This means that Sakurai, on some level, is confident that players will be willing and able to learn and use the command inputs in actual matches.

What does this mean for Ryu and Ken? As I'm sure most of you know, the command input for Terry's Buster Wolf is the exact same as Ryu's Shinku Hadoken and Ken's Shinryuken (double QCF + attack) both of which are currently available only as a Final Smash.

Ryu and Ken have 2 different Final Smashes apiece, one for up close and one for longer ranges. My proposal would be to remove their long-distance Final Smashes, Shinku Hadoken and Shinryuken, and add them back in as Super Specials than can be performed at above 100% damage like Terry. If you want something more like the original games, it could be an actual SF2-style Super meter, which could build by using specials like in the games. The Super Specials need to be adjusted, of course. Personally, I'd make Shinku Hadoken a normal Hadoken size but keep the vacuum effect and explosive last hit, kinda like Hero's Kaboom. Shinryuken is probably good as-is, but with a vertical range reduction it'd be perfect.

What do you guys think? Would Super Specials make Ryu and Ken broken?
No, Ryu and Ken wouldn't be broken considering the fact that Terry has a has super gauge, Lucario gets a buff at a certain amount of time, and Little Mac can damn near one shot you off the strength of getting blitzed. Instead, I personally believe they should have an EX Gauge and or a FADC (Focus attack dash cancel) instead of a super gauge just to make a difference for all actual fighting game characters suumoned to Smash. Definitely not cool that the shotos don't have much to offer fespite the fact that Street Fighter is the 1st video game series to introduce super arts into a video game.

Top Bottom