• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Super Smash Land] - Final Build 1.1 Online

4nace

Smash Ace

Introduction:
I am here to introduce a fan-project that I have been working on for a few months now. The project consists of me, Dan Fornace doing art and programming, and InversePhase covering Sound Effects and Music. And featuring flashygoodness who handled most of the secret level songs and a few others.

We are working on a relatively experiment recreation of the Super Smash Brothers series as if it were released for the Gameboy Original and was a part of the franchise. Of course, I will be taking away many of the restrictions since I am actually developing it for Windows Pc with Game Maker. However, we want the presentation to be authentic as possible. I have been working on 4 color pixel art while InversePhase is working with authentic chiptune skills to create sounds that match the game.

Gameplay:

While I am making a fan game, I hope to add many of my own design elements and choices to the game. Since this made to look like its for gameboy, I will have a static screen rather than the zooming and moving that is capable in 3d. I will also be using simple stage designs rather then the monstrosities that populated two-thirds of Brawl.

I am also simplifying the combat for the Gameboy. The controls consist of the D-Pad. A to Jump and B to attack. There are no shields, no grabs, no dodges, no smash attacks. Therefore to balance characters and attacks, I am relying heavily on starting and ending lag as well as knockback. Damage and Death percentages will be similar to the series but I do not plan a direct correlation on attacks.

Since there is only one attack button that means there are only 9 attacks. Up down forward and neutral for the ground and the same plus backwards for the air. That means that characters will not take direct translations to their movesets as I am picking the most unique moves in my mind to form the characters.

Finally, I am simplifying the roster. I plan on having 4 characters with 2 Secret Characters. I plan on making at least one that is not from smash with my own moveset. I have some ideas that change the way the game is played and make characters more unique so I plan on implementing those.

Build 1.0:

It is with great excitement that I present to you the First Final Build for Super Smash Land. Anything after this is bug-fixes as I am pretty much done working on the game. The future of this project is still being decided. I have thought about open source and/or passing it to capable programmers.

Screenshots:

And Finally here is the download:

Download 1.0

The Game is currently Windows only and you have to download it to your PC.

MAKE SURE YOU UNZIP THE GAME OR IT WILL GIVE AN ERROR.

You can change the controls in-game by going to Options > Controls. I also include a Joy2Key in the zip so you can use any kind of USB controllers that you can plug in.

Defaults for player 1

Arrows Move
Z is jump
X is attack
Enter is Start
Backspace is Select

Videos:

Release Trailer (Sep 13, 2011)

Demo 2 Trailer (Feb 21, 2010)

Link Trailer (Jan 24, 2010)

-Dan

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Pikachu. They're the four that were used in the Brawl Trailer, and were also the ones first shown in the Melee opening.

4nace

Smash Ace
Ahh pikachu. I completely forgot about him! Haha and he's perfect since my game is going to be handheld base.

So.

Mario
Kirby
Pikachu
Link.

Actually going to change this thread to be more helpful for me now that you've moved to workshop =)

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Having just one attack button and no shields/grabs would probably make it easiest to program. In that case, the controls would mirror Kirby's Dream Land, which is a good thing.
This isn't actually going to run on the Game Boy, right?

4nace

Smash Ace
I'll probably be using gamemaker for this, and as far as GML, I can code fairly well. You can see some of my more recent stuff on my youtube account at

www.youtube.com/4nace.

But yeah. This isn't planned to run on gameboy. It will be for pc and I will be having multiplayer. The idea is that it looks and sounds like a gameboy game, and would be close to as simple as the game would be for gameboy.

However, to make the game more enjoyable, I am actually going to have the engine running at 4x the size the graphics (so everything will be scaled up) That way the game will be much smoother. It'll still be a small project with 4 characters and only arcade and story mode.

I already have a decent engine and AI system running in some of my other projects so hopefully it won't be too long before I have some progress.

4nace

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I already have a decent engine and AI system running in some of my other projects so hopefully it won't be too long before I have some progress.
Heh, good. I was looking all over for some semblance of "I have work to show of this/I have the ability and resources to pull this off" so good to know this isn't blatantly overshot expectations especially since this is a rather humble and small interpretation of Smash Brothers.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Haha, nice. This is a great idea. You gonna make GB-styled music?

4nace

Smash Ace
Heh, good. I was looking all over for some semblance of "I have work to show of this/I have the ability and resources to pull this off" so good to know this isn't blatantly overshot expectations especially since this is a rather humble and small interpretation of Smash Brothers.
Yeah. I have actually coded a decent amount of games in the past. 4 player fighters is also kind of my specialty. You can view some AI in my Smashbots alpha video here -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AttqaU1mNs0#t=0m28s

It also works with 4 players and teams =). But I'm not sure I would even offer teams in a GB version since the colors are so limited haha.

Haha, nice. This is a great idea. You gonna make GB-styled music?
Yes. That's what I am going for. I would love to get renditions of the N64 songs in GB-style, but I am not an experienced music guy. I am taking a class and just made my first midi so if I can't find them online then I will take a stab at it =).

I am working on characters now. I have decided to make this project pretty much open source. So i will be posting my sprites and tiles here as I work. Hyrule Tileset incoming =).

-4nace

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I would try finding a guy who knows how to utilize soundboards directly taken from older generation consoles like the NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and GB for doing GB-styled music. MIDI will only get you so far until using an authentic soundboard will really make it sound true to style.

4nace

Smash Ace
Hmm... that's a good point. Not really sure what you mean with soundboards though. Do you think it would be best to find someone with access to soundboards that were used back then, or can modern soundboards be used to recreate the 8-bit style?

I am at a university with a Music Industry Program so I have access to a pretty good amount of tools. Haha, what exactly should I be asking for do you think?

I know of things called sound-fonts that can recreate the 8-bit style fairly well, and then I could save them as .mp3s.

EDIT:

Some Progress.

I've resized the characters to fit into 16x16 boxes haha. wooootttt. So it would only take 2 sprites to draw them on a gameboy (limited to 16x8)

All my sprites will be blown up 4x since that is what I am programming the game at, but if you want to see actually size. Just resize them in paint or in photoshop with nearest neighbor as the resample mode.

Here is the first attempt at an Idle Animation

I ended up deciding that the line made the head look too big (i inteded it to be the overalls line, so I moved it up. I also added some more shadding and got rid of the back and forth idle for attempt 2.

Second Idle Attempt

And here is the tileset that I used to create Hyrule.

Will be back with some of mario's animations soon!

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Hmm... that's a good point. Not really sure what you mean with soundboards though. Do you think it would be best to find someone with access to soundboards that were used back then, or can modern soundboards be used to recreate the 8-bit style?

I am at a university with a Music Industry Program so I have access to a pretty good amount of tools. Haha, what exactly should I be asking for do you think?

I know of things called sound-fonts that can recreate the 8-bit style fairly well, and then I could save them as .mp3s.
I don't know of any particular tools, but I've been hearing of FamiTracker here and there.

In fact, I went ahead and looked something up for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGTD-eQdK3M
Without actually reading what it's about, it appears to be an archaic composition program that's very true to the nature of the NES soundboard.
Here's a usage of it on a Sonic 3 & Knuckles song

EDIT: **** it, just look at this user's account to see what I mean.

He has songs fully inserted into the program that perfectly replicate the NES music. In fact, look at his covers for some of the GameBoy songs. I think it's exactly the program you're looking for.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
tbh, I think DK would be better for the purposes of this game than Pikachu...

Simply for lack of a classic "heavy" character, which all fighting games should have, imo. Pikachu is also a pretty complicated character when opposed to someone like DK, whose animations and gameplay are pretty obvious just by looking at him, as well as his moveset being probably much easier to work with than Pikachu's. You even have a wonderful sprite already made. It'd be a shame to let that go to waste, imo. The downside is of course... DK's size, so maybe he may not work. In that case, why not Fox? Fox is also a pretty standard part of the Smash roster, being among the most popular character in both the original smash as well as Melee.

I'm intrigued. Most of these "plans" fall flat on their face, but if this works, I'll be impressed.

I really like the Mario sprites. Good luck on this project. I think the second idle animation would work better, though.

Also, I think music should probably be the last of your worries, but you can actually find a lot of 8-bit remixes just by browsing youtube...

4nace

Smash Ace
@Kitamerby
Hey thanks for giving the topic a glance.

Yeah. I agree with you about pikachu's moveset being tough. I'm probably going to save that fourth guy for last as of right now since Fox, Pikachu, DK and even Samus could all take up that spot and it would still make sense. I would like to do DK still, but I would definitely have to break my 16x16 limit for him. Hell Link will have to break it too. Right now, I just want to make sure that the characters obviously look different so Fox, DK and Pikachu all work since they don't resemble the three I have. I think Fox would be the toughest to resemble himself with such small pixels, but I will be thinking about it more as I get closer.

@Segtendo
Hey thanks. I think that's the one I am going to go with.

Also more choices to make! Yayyyy! Haha

Okay. So jump animation 1 or 2.

Double Jump animation 1 or 2

I've also made some progress with the walk.

And some more progress with a single-frame hurt sprite

And more progress with the first attack. Neutral (No direction) + Attack on Ground

The Jump will be coded so it will play as your falling. Like if you have upward y velocity of greater than 2 lets say, it will be frame 1, and then between 2 and -2 it'll be frame 2 and then downward of more than 2 it will be frame 3. So it won't play as fast as it is here =P.

Working on some more attacks now =).

Also my buddy asked me if I was going to do edges. I told him I wasn't going to have shields, but he was like edges with either attack up or jump up would still be cool. I know I could program it, but do you guys think it would be worth it?

Thanks,
4nace

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
@Kitamerby
I don't suppose why not as long as they are true to the nature and tone of a five-channel soundchip, heh heh.

4nace

Smash Ace
@Gamedominator06 Yeah, I'll probably just go online to find gameboy renditions of Nintendo classics and do all the sound effects myself in a tracker program with a gameboy sound font (so noises for hits and blips for other sounds haha)

But I am going to continue using this as a DevLog sorta thing. I don't normally post all my progress. But for some reason, I kinda like seeing everything in one place.

Anyway. Starting on Mario's attacks. Critiques and Comments are welcome. (Most of these attacks may look better in game with either movement or actually being in the air.)

Dash Attack

Up+Attack on Ground Try 1

Up+Attack on Ground Try 2 (No sweep and turned head.)

Down+Attack on Ground

Forward+Attack in Air

I also have the Neutral Air done, but it is merely the fireball with jumping feet so I won't post it here.

Gonna add more later tonight I hope.

-4nace

4nace

Smash Ace
cool animations especially on Down Attack on Ground
Hey thanks. Yeah, I liked how that one came out too =).

Fair needs the flip afterwards, personally.
Yeah, it is lacking, but its pretty hard to get that flip to look good in a short number of frames. I am going to give a shot later after I get the moves in the engine.

With that being said, here are the last couple of moves.

Mario Down Air

Mario Up Air (Third Jump. Coins on collision)

Mario Back Air

I'm gonna get him working in the engine and then sprite the next guy. Screens and stuff coming soon!

-4nace

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
What made you decide to use the Super Jump animation for Uair rather than the flip kick?

4nace

Smash Ace
@Gamedominator06

Well I actually thought about it for a bit. Since I am doing only Jump and Attack buttons, I needed to have Up+Attack be the Third Jump with everybody. And since he already has a kick for his back-air, I figured the coins(Super Jump) would be a more unique move. However, I am up for suggestions/move changes if they are more clear / make the character more fun.

-4nace

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Makes sense. I just wasn't sure on the controls procedure so now I understand.

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
So you decided to use a single attack button, I see.

Is the second button going to be mapped to jump, and is there going to be a tap jump if there is?

4nace

Smash Ace
Yeah. As of right now, I am not going to have tap up jump. I may make it turn-on-able, but since there will only be attack and jump, I am just assuming that a is jump and b is attack.

I am kinda confused about a few things. Like a simple way of doing auto-cancelling of aerials while not having them overpowered. I might just have a single landing frame with lag that you get if you are not far enough in an animation.

Thoughts?

-4nace

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
At last, the first fangame with a small, doable and perfect roster.
And I love the GFX style!

Too bad you're using some GameMaker, I usally don't like those tbh.
Have yet to see a wellmade Game using GameMaker.

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey thanks Xane. I like that you understand what I am going for. About Gamemaker, I see why you would be opposed as most games are clunky and underwhelming, but I would like to get this game done fast with the mechanics the way I want. If I succeed at a high level then I will be porting it to Flash during the winter =).

Updates:
I have finally decided on a name. Super Smash Land. (A reference to all the 'Land' titles that graced the gameboy from the popular NES series). I am also working on the engine now, which is why I have not put any kirby sprites up yet (I have started him, but only an idle so far). I have some ideas to make the engine very very easy to add characters and moves. I hope to have everything in one place in the code. But some things such as the boomerang, fireball and kirby taking powers will have to be hardcoded it seems. I will let you know as I get updates.

Also, I can post the engine early if you'd like, or we can just wait until I have mario completely done with select screens in place.

-4nace

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
I am using two buttons as well as the joypad to mimic a gameboy controller.

So obviously the game will be simplified quite a bit. Which of these control schemes do you think would work best.

Control 1
A- Attack
B- Special
Up - Jump

Control 2
A- Jump
B- Attack (Different ones for air and ground)

Control 3
A- Attack
B - Shield
A+B - Grab
Up - Jump
(Shields and Grabs would require some more animations and might not work well at such a small level)
Best would be:
A - Attack
A+B - Smash Attack (the game is called SMASH Brothers for a reason. Beside being a fighting game that actual use the benefits of an analog-stick)
B - Special
Up - Jump
Down - Shield (its to hard to see, if a character is crunching on such a small resolution. Use the down-Button to block or else the game become just pure chaos and less deep. You can still use the smash-down-Attack).
Doppel Down - Fall down from a plattform
Down + A - Grab (if you have a shield you need a grab to counter it: Attacks punishes Grab, Shield saves from Attacks, Grab punishes Shield)

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I think DK would make more sense than Pikachu... bcos DK can be like your typical slow powerhouse, so the characters are more varied... Link is your weapons guy, Kirby is fast and weak, DK is powerful and slow, Mario is an all-rounder(big surprise huh)
EDIT:
tbh, I think DK would be better for the purposes of this game than Pikachu...

Simply for lack of a classic "heavy" character, which all fighting games should have, imo...
what this guy said.

4nace

Smash Ace
@Metal B

Yeah. That would be more smash-like, but since I am going for a simple version of smash, I think I am going to do away with shields and grabbing. Plus if you play it on a gamepad(like the gameboy has) then you would probably hit down/up by mistake alot. Using a button for jump and only one attack button would make the game more playable (imo)

@Baron_Mack

Yeah, I think DK would be good and his moveset would be easier to handle, but he may simply be too big to work on such small stages. Also, he hasn't had that great of showing on handheld devices other than ports. Where as Link, Mario, Kirby and Pikachu have all had great handheld adventures.

I will try to draw a DK that would fit into the game, but as of right now it seems like he would be tough.

I did toss the idea of Sonic as the 4th around in my head too. Once I get Link and Kirby done, I will start to worry more haha.

-4nace

4nace

Smash Ace
Currently I am building the game in Game Maker so the engine isn't exactly from scratch. I plan on porting it to Flash too once complete. But most likely never wii. Possibly PSP or Iphone if Yoyogames gets the Game Maker port done soon.

I did however, get a chance to work on the engine (finally) this weekend and put all of mario's attacks in. They still need some adjusting with how they are going to interact with players, but you can see all the hitboxes I have so far in this short little showcase of his moveset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROatPJAGsvA

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Dang dude, that's in game? Looking nice.

Hyrule Castle's right side should be raised a little bit, I think. It's kinda awkward.

4nace

Smash Ace
Heh thanks. Yup that's in game. And yeah, looking at it now, I definitely agree with you. It's a little too hard to jump up now.

I'm trying to finish up the engine a bit and then start spriting kirby so my first demo will have the two of them duking it out =)

-Dan

4nace

Smash Ace
Yep. I plan on having a demo out sometime next month with mario and kirby and atleast 2 stages. The demo will be fully functional though with 4 players, AI, Team matches, VS mode, Arcade Mode, Character Select and Stage Select. However the last two characters, Link and Pikachu wil not be available yet.

I am expecting to be able to release a demo in mid-late November and then finish the game by the end of December.

-4nace

Top Bottom