• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo

The most popular Smash fangame on the internet, peaking at over 1,000,000 plays per day, now has a sequel!
Are you ready to experience...
SUPER SMASH FLASH 2?

- Official Discord
- Official Twitter
- Official YouTube

- Play the Game!

...Super Smash what?
Super Smash Flash! You do remember us, right? A Smash Bros fangame popular for our visuals and difficulty, rather than gameplay, Super Smash Flash was...well, Super Smash in a Flash. It showed very few similarities to the actual Smash Bros gameplay, yet through monopoly attracted large crowds of people looking to waste some time. Of course, that is not the case anymore. We're striving for the utmost quality this time around; Super Smash Flash 2 is not a game made by one person in a month, like SSF1. Super Smash Flash 2 is a game made by hundreds of people over several years. It will be one of the biggest Smash bros fan-games - no. One of the biggest Flash games, to date. We promise.

FAQ:
Fan charac--??
- No, sorry! These characters don't belong to us, and the creators are long gone. We intend for this game to be a celebration of video game culture, with characters both originating in video games, and outside.

Where's the full version?
- Super Smash Flash 2 Beta is our final full-featured update to our public release before the full game, once we're finished updating Beta, it'll be rebranded as the full version. We refer to the WIP builds as "demos".

Are there combos?
- Absolutely. Super Smash Flash 2 has low landing lag, high movement speeds, full aerial momentum conservation, high hitstun, high gravity, and gravity is active during knockback. This all leads to an exhilarating combo game with lots of mixups, but it will still feel right at home to those coming from Smash games - even ones where combos don't exist. This is one of our major core goals.

Which Smash game is this based off of?
- Ah, I see you noticed that SSF1 was based off of Melee, huh. Well, think of SSF2 as a Frankenstein. We're smashing together a "Greatest Hits" type deal with our engine, feel, and aesthetics, but we're also taking our own creative liberties as well. There's no definite answer to this question. Think of it as original!

Well, in terms of engine?
- SSF2's engine is Frankenstein'd too. At first glance, it's very reminiscent of Brawl+, actually, some of the more obvious engine aspects will make that clear right away (with the ALR, high hitstun, semi-floatiness, etc.) But it goes deeper than that, with our creative liberties such as gravity during knockback.

Do characters have complete movesets?
- They all do!

Where are the sprites from?
- Nearly all of the character sprites in SSF2 are custom-made.

Does this work on Mac/Linux?
- The current version has a downloadable version for Linux and Mac. Adobe AIR has issues with Catalina though, unfortunately, and we are looking into our options.

Is online mode planned?
- It's in!! :)

What about L-Cancelling or (insert some complicated Smash Bros-related acronym here)
- Probably not included. As far as L-cancelling though, SSF2 has globally reduced landlag (ALR - Aerial Lag Reduction, as some Brawl+ players know it), and instead of being move-specific, it's mostly character specific with a few exceptions, ranging from 3 to 12 frames (at 30 FPS). If we gave you L-cancelling, you probably wouldn't need to use it often.

Last edited:

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
I want Nintendog, Staryu, Mr. Potato Head, Woody, Buzz, Hamm, Rex, Metroid, and Toad.

I have movests for them if you need them.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
As an expansion would be your only shot at having those playable. Here, let me refer you to the expansion forums:

ssf2expansion.yforum.biz

Also, Willdabeast, you forgot the link to the wiki.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
My only suggestions for right now...

Don't nerf Sonic or Knuckles!

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
the only change id want would be make it have less knock-back ,and smaller stages.
and slightly more flowy... although it could be my computer thats causing the laggyness.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
If you put in Inuyasha, I will love you forever. Seriously. He'd make a great character. I'm not too familiar with it, but wasn't he in the last game?

Dave08

Smash Rookie
Is there any particular reason why you didn't include Monkey D. Luffy and Roronoa Zoro (or anyone else) from One Piece?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Sasuke is in this game.
I am happy.

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
I agree. How can you not put One Piece characters in?
yeah really one piece is way bigger than both Bleach and Naruto (Not an opinion its a fact, its been going longer and has made more money than both).

Also no offense but Blade and Blue are really stupid. There are were 4 sonic characters already was it really needed to put original sonic characters in.

WilldaBeast

Smash Apprentice
yeah really one piece is way bigger than both Bleach and Naruto (Not an opinion its a fact, its been going longer and has made more money than both).

Also no offense but Blade and Blue are really stupid. There are were 4 sonic characters already was it really needed to put original sonic characters in.
Yes we know that full well, but sadly we had no say in what characters were put into the game. It was Cleod9's decision.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Anyone can be an expansion; they just need to have enough animations. Check out the expansion forum for the ones that are already in the works.

EDIT: lol, we told them that we didn't need so many fan characters, but some of the other devs... Well, you know.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I feel Nintendo series need more love (former Nintendo series as well.)

I'd like to suggest : Banjo & Kazooie, Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario, King K. Rool, and Isaac as characters.

Could I also state my opinion that characters like Blue and Blade really aren't necessary, as they never really existed in anything before?

And I feel that this is a bit too anime focused, but that is, however, my opinion.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Okay... how about we replace Blade and Blue with Marth and Roy...

and remember, don't nerf Sonic and Knuckles! (they had to have been top tier in the original)

Steelia

Smash Champion
Isn't it amazing how fan games STILL add Mewtwo despite his cut? It really is quite something...

Anyway, adding Mewtwo in this game makes it an instant win in my book. However, personally, I think it really needs at least ONE more Pokemon rep... It just misses that modern Pokemon feel to it (although I could believe coming up with working sprites for modern Pokemon may be tough... and also some of the backlash the newer Pokemon of today have gotten). Adding Lucario, Deoxys... Either of the two, or something rather. Just someone NOT of the first generation. Nothing against the 1st Gen... just we need something from AT LEAST the 3rd and 4th Gens.

That's all here. :)

Ah, how I remember playing Smash Flash 1 endlessly... despite the HUGE amount of lag my computer suffered. Took nearly an hour to do a 15-Minute Multi-Man Melee. Seriously.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I want Fawful, Dimentio, and Daroach as characters.

Items: P Balloon, Yoyo's... Powerglove! Lol

peeup

Smash Lord
I honestly thought that Knuckles sucked.
Seriously? I was never able to play against another human, but against computers, spamming his down attack would win the game. I consistantly destroyed 3 lvl 9s against me, but like I said, I have no way of knowing if this was effective against humans.

Suggestions: (These are pretty far fetched)
Make some sort of hutstun so pikachu can get KO'd off the side.
Make some sort of online play.
Ditch Floating Islands.

SeaLegend

Smash Rookie
I'm also on the development team for this game, and people. no matter how hard we try, completely spriting characters, making everything necessary for them, they get shot down. And if we try to take anyone out, fanboys erupt and we really can't. However, I can promise you this game will disappoint no one.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'm also on the development team for this game, and people. no matter how hard we try, completely spriting characters, making everything necessary for them, they get shot down. And if we try to take anyone out, fanboys erupt and we really can't. However, I can promise you this game will disappoint no one.
Well... I don't mean to shoot down your optomistic message here... but the game's already disappointed me with the merging of the Smash universe with Manga/Anime. Those two... just shouldn't be together. There are so many anime/manga characters to choose from... and they will eventually dwarf the Smash characters roster-wise, which I don't think is right as this is what the game is based off of, the Smash franchise. There will always be complaining of "Oh, why didn't this Mario character get in?"... when in the other corner you'll hear "Oh why didn't this ANIME or MANGA SERIES get in?". Just... too vast compared to the gaming world. And the current choices of anime/manga characters just seem too... personal. It's like Sakurai adding in a whole lot of Kirby characters into the next Smash game as playable... with few fan choices, if any, just because he's fond of Kirby (understandable, as he made it).

But, that's just my two cents on the subject.

Still looking forward to the final product, as are many of us. :)

SeaLegend

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I'm also not at all a fan of anime characters being put in, especially with there being no One Piece. But, ya know, I can't really change anything about it, in fact, no one can. The creator is an anime fan, so it'd be hard to persuade him away from those...

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Trying holding down and jumping.
Knuckles was way too broken.
Knux was broken, wasn't he?

Sonic was worse... his side attack cancelled momentum easily, he can do spin dash combos, and his punch was waaaaaay to dangerous for a hedgehog. yeah, I played that game a little too much.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'm sort of uneasy with just having Tails in, but you'd literarly need to bribe Cleod9 with tons of cash to get him to change the roster now (believe me, we've tried). It's not so much that Cleod9 is an anime/manga fan so much that is is enough people wanted the characters in and enough good animations are in. I really don't understand why we have Sora, much less Riku, but like I said, what are you gonna do? I guess that's what expansions are for, though.

In short: NO ROSTER CHANGES.

On a side note, I'm sure Mario Mainers will be pleased to here that by the next demo (coming out around Wednesday to Friday this week), he'll have received a massive buff and will have his old "buddy" sonic to battle with.

EDIT: Also, when this game is done, it will benothing like SSF1. It'll be it's own thing, so i'd be like comparing SMG to SMS.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
That's because that's not the real main theme. The true main theme is being worked on the very talented NemesisTheory of Newgrounds in the SSF2 Developers forums right now. The one you are refering to is the one made by Sirtopeia (the one Cleod9 rejected).

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Will certain stages have dangerous obstacles? Or will it be a neutral stage fest like it was in the original?

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Well let's see... we have a bunch a neutral stages (returning and past SSB stages), an improved stage builder, and some of use devs are trying to convince Cleod9 to make it possible to turn off stage hazards (no promises, though). There's no chain grabs in the game from in-game characters (that we know of, at least), so walk-off stages won't be a problem, oh, and there's Galaxy Tours of course.

As for unbalance stages, we're working on a couple more friendlies-oriented stages like Mushroomy Kingdom 3, BAD_CHECKSUM, and a whole bunch of other ones.

In short, there will be enough stages for both the competative and casual player that are equally awesome. We'll even have a new battlefield in the next demo!

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Not sure if this is going to be a great game especially since it won't have many Nintendo characters in it...oh and WildBeast or whoever, you forgot that ZS Samus will be in the game...(and Ridley...facedesk...facedesk), but where is the most overlooked Nintendo character ever...(pushes Luigi out of the way to get a better view of the Koopa Troopa!)
Yeah, the whole make your own characters thing is dumb, although I could add in Yu Gi Oh with some trap cards and the big hair!

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Kirby
MK
G&W
Jigglypuff
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Link
Zelda
Wario
Samus
DK
Diddy
Fox
Falco
Ness
Captain Falcon
Pit
Snake
Lloyd Irving
Kratos Aurion
Megaman
Zero
Sonic
Kuckles
Tails
Shadow
Sora
Riku
Cloud
Crono
Ichigo Kurosaki
Renji Abarai
Naruto Uzumaki
Sasuke Uchiha
Goku
Vegeta
Azrael(Fan Character)
Spikeman(Fan Character)
Blade(Fan Character)
Blue(Fan Character)

22 Nintendo chars(ahem 23 if Sheik is in) proportioned to a greater than half the cast of non Nintendo characters.
First, we don't even have the entire Melee crew...what a shame.
Second, change the name to something other than a Nintendo name when you are more focused on anime and mutated rodents(except Pikachu).

Edit: Yikes, no, this game sucks!!! NO MARTH!!! CHANGE THIS GAMES NAME TO SUPER NO MARTH BUT ANIME!!!!!!!!!!!

anime fans can shove in their own chars, but if it is a videogame why neglect videogame chars???

Done

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
Speaking of Music, did we mention Choppa Choppa's inclusion as well as the eminence orchestra's performance of the Metal Gear Solid Series main theme?
Well let's see... we have a bunch a neutral stages (returning and past SSB stages), an improved stage builder, and some of use devs are trying to convince Cleod9 to make it possible to turn off stage hazards (no promises, though). There's no chain grabs in the game from in-game characters (that we know of, at least), so walk-off stages won't be a problem, oh, and there's Galaxy Tours of course.

As for unbalance stages, we're working on a couple more friendlies-oriented stages like Mushroomy Kingdom 3, BAD_CHECKSUM, and a whole bunch of other ones.

In short, there will be enough stages for both the competative and casual player that are equally awesome. We'll even have a new battlefield in the next demo!
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet....

Top Bottom