• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2: A History And Primer

Ramin Flage

Smash Rookie
I remember playing SSF2 at school. My friends and I played so much that we became the reason why games were banned on the computers in the library. So worth it.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
No, I mean Chaos Shrine with better music and a more fitting edge mechanic. The shape of the stage makes it perfect for walkoffs despite their general lack of popularity.
The problem is, there's four Zelda stages right now; Hylian Skies, Skyward Voyage, Clock Town, and, of course, Temple.

All of them generally have a more unique layout than Temple of Time did.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
I think they could've chosen a better engine (flash is weird when it comes to game performance, so while i can run most games fine, games like this/binding of Isaac have lag for no reason), but eh. Still enjoyable.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
So....
Why does this game not have it's own space in the forum?
You said it yourself, it has a pretty huge following. Why does PM get one, but this doesn't?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Goku in smash? **** OFF
Read the article without bias, please.

I think they could've chosen a better engine (flash is weird when it comes to game performance, so while i can run most games fine, games like this/binding of Isaac have lag for no reason), but eh. Still enjoyable.
Keep in mind this game started back in 2006, where gaming programs were limited compared to that games today. So they have to make due with Adobe can offer to them, which for what it is, SSF2 Dev team did a fantastic job making the game be what it is despite Flash limitations.

I see a lot of posts about this or that fan game on here, but I've got to be honest - it's hard to get stoked over these when I've got the official games in the other room.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I cannot play a smash bros game with so much third party characters. Goku really doesn't fit in smash. Its cool and all but anime characters is not what smash bros is about
There are only 3 anime characters. Get over it.

mikael fernandes

Smash Cadet
inb4 crusade fans complaining about why they don't have their own article :troll:
This game is seriously underrated in the smash community. i've following this game since it's early days and to see how it evolved is amazing.
Cleod9,TSON and all the other devs,you guys are just amazing. keep up the good job

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
And just like every other article here about SSF2, I bet 90% of the people who click on this article are not even going to read it and are just going to say something to the effect of "It's that thing with Goku in it. Ignore, go to hell Weeaboo McLeod." And it's a damn shame that so many people are dismissing this game automatically because of those three characters.
Did I call it or did I ****ing call it?

I cannot play a smash bros game with so much third party characters. Goku really doesn't fit in smash. Its cool and all but anime characters is not what smash bros is about
Goku in smash? **** OFF

Hxey

Smash Cadet
Great article. Funny because yesterday I was trying to promote this game on here and didn't even know this article was in the works. Anyway, maybe in one of the articles you can go more in depth on the competitive scene. In my opinion it's the most interesting part of the community and I'm sure plenty of players would give you insight. I dunno just an idea. Another idea is to have a screenshot of SSF2's currently confirmed roster somewhere on here instead of just the SSF1 css. It would stop stupid people from asking things like "Wow is Mr. Incredible really in this game?" hopefully, among the other moronic things I've seen in the 2 pages of comments

Last edited:

ZertzYo

Smash Rookie
Did I call it or did I ****ing call it?
You called it lmao, All these people getting butthurt about Goku being in the game. If you don't like him, don't use him, and if you don't like playing against him then play against somebody else lmao. But you did call it, you're a ****ing wizard Saikyoshi.

Last edited:

RadicalMongoose

Smash Apprentice
People are complaining about "animu" characters.... remember that brawl had solid snake... metal gear solid is a SONY exclusive which only had ONE crappy game on a Nintendo console. But i do think they're out of place. Oh well, it's nice to see that Smashboards focuses on little things. Now i really want to see these tournaments. But the game looks kinda laggy...
He was on the NES and Twin snakes was on GameCube.

smashbroslegacy

Smash Rookie
I really hope mewtwo, cloud, chrono, knuckles, and shadow come back from the first! Pit, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, Ganondorf, Snake, Ryu, Pacman, R.O.B, and the Ice Climbers are in the final game! Board the platforms and this game is really in my book is viable in betting melee in terms of content and on par w/ brawl. Too bad everyone justs sees the anime trio and dismisses it. Personally the people against them have no taste in uniqueness or characters being different. Take this game for what is and not what the official games are for! As long as characters like shrek, obama, and john cena arent in then this game is on par with the officialones

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
SSF2 and Crusade both deserve a shared section on the site.If PM get one these should as will there just as will known as PM in the smash community

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
We don't really need much characters from first except shadow. I hope isaac fulfills need of characters like blade and chrono in beta.
Don't worry about Blade; he was given the axe years ago. He and Blue were publicly announced to not be coming back the moment the v0.7 retool was announced.

SoopahGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
lighting223
3DS FC
3539-9654-4721
I think SSF2 is Amazing, it's the game that got me to the smash community, and even though sometimes it can be glitchy at times. You cannot get bored with it and I hope SSF2 will always keep improving.

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Sonic was in an anime! Does that mean we should bash it for that too?

Why can't they just let the game have the characters the devs put in it. What is the problem that people have with those 3 anyway?
By your logic goku is a video game character since sonic first appeared in a game

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
By your logic goku is a video game character since sonic first appeared in a game
I think his line of thought is more that they are both anime characters AND video game characters since they appear in both.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
True, but kojima still doesn't have a great history with nintendo. And nobody ever mentions the first metal gear titles
Snake got in almost entirely because Kojima is Sakurai's very close personal friend. Kojima asked for Snake to be in because his kids wanted to play as one of their dad's characters in Smash.

Giampstoise

Smash Cadet
NNID
M.H.S.X
3DS FC
2621-2992-5656
Snake got in almost entirely because Kojima is Sakurai's very close personal friend. Kojima asked for Snake to be in because his kids wanted to play as one of their dad's characters in Smash.
Oh...when you put it this way, it actually makes a lot of sense, i didn't know about their friendship. Thanks for the info :D .

Βearzor

Smash Cadet
This seems really cool. The biggest reason I didn't want to try was because I wasn't able to use a controller, but now that I have that tutorial I think I'll give it a shot!

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Been playing since the original. It's amazing seeing how far it's come. I remember the first demos. They based things off of the little footage of Brawl that there was. I remember when Mario's Side B was FLUDD! I also remember the original characters that eventually got scrapped. Blade, Blue, Azrael. Now, SSF2 is an amazing game. I consider it better than Brawl and Smash 4. This game has a lot of potential, and deserves a lot of attention.

J-Dot

Smash Rookie
Memories, remember playing the first one and like flying all over the place and living to like 300% XD. This is actually the first smash game I've played, despite it being a fan-made game. I personally think it's pretty cool since it combines a lot of elements (mostly brawl-esque, but it does have some Melee aspects). I recommend it just for fun

Anyone know if Luigi is the last character added to their roster?

smashbroslegacy

Smash Rookie
luigi was the last revealed They are going to add more

Memories, remember playing the first one and like flying all over the place and living to like 300% XD. This is actually the first smash game I've played, despite it being a fan-made game. I personally think it's pretty cool since it combines a lot of elements (mostly brawl-esque, but it does have some Melee aspects). I recommend it just for fun

Anyone know if Luigi is the last character added to their roster?

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Fun Fact: Hidden in the game files, there is an option to have Melee airdodging, allowing for wavedashing. However, it is turned off by default. Someone made a mod that turns it on though.

UltimaNylocke

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ULTI#211
NNID
UltimaNylocke
Sure, it's really odd for an Animated character like Ciel or Shrek to fight alongside Super Mario and the Animal Crossing Villager, but that doesn't mean that they can't be fun characters. Don't judge a book by it's Cover. You already did with Wii Fit Trainer, Snake, Shulk and some others.
I just imagined Ciel in SSF2. Oh my god it is beautiful.

Top Bottom