• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Con Announced!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Didn't the PMDT say something like "We'll stop PM if Nintendo so much as asks" or something? Sounds to me that they were trying to prepare people for an abrupt end for PM. Then Nintendo does something different, and instead removes it from a few big tourneys instead of a C&D, and everybody goes bonkers.

It's like preparing for the snowstorm of the century then getting a little rain, then whining to the weatherman not that he got it wrong, but that he didn't tell people to prep for rain.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
This event looks so amazing! Let the hype train never stop!

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Seriously, Project M isn't the only Smash mod out there. Would we have to include SD Remix to include "the whole Smash community", as well?
If they had a thriving tourney scene, yes. You can't get mad at people for not supporting other games, then call Project M "not a real game" and "stop being salty" and other condescending crap just because your game isn't hurt. One units fine and all until it potentially hurts your game, then screw them who cares they are just whiny entitled people...

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Chill out guys, you can have a pm tourney there but it just can't be official or shown on stream.

MrMag

Smash Rookie
NNID
EvilMag
You better have a (Dark) Ball Pit there! That could be a dealbreaker for me

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
It's a joke, Brawl minus is known as being one of the most hectic and unblanced mods. I'm just saying that just because a mod is well known, doesn't mean it should be represented due to it not being an official smash game.
But just because PM isn't an official smash game doesn't mean it shouldn't be represented. That's no reason why the players and community should be kicked out like this.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
It's a joke, Brawl minus is known as being one of the most hectic and unblanced mods. I'm just saying that just because a mod is well known, doesn't mean it should be represented due to it not being an official smash game.
Ah, ok.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
You can have a pm tourney, it just can't be official and streamed. Simple as that.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
But just because PM isn't an official smash game doesn't mean it shouldn't be represented. That's no reason why the players and community should be kicked out like this.
The PMDT told you from the get-go that PM may meet an abrupt end and that there's nothing to be done, I believe. The dev team probably doesn't want you to be making a stink over what they saw as inevitable. I understand that you're upset... But there's really nothing that can be done. Complaining and arguing isn't working.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
No PM? Really? REALLY??? So this is how the community responds when a hardworking part of the community makes a game for the community that's been ran by the community and Nintendo, outta flipping no where, comes in to make money by exploiting the community, and offers a small part of the community a cut of the cheese in exchange for ensuring the community will get rid of the community's game for Nintendo indirectly. It appears the Grassroots Community days are behind us..

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
so glad they didnt include the mod in this con. only REAL smash games should be included.

Dirteedees

Smash Cadet
Ooh boy another major tournament on the east coast isn't that just great I'm sure glad they only have tournaments over there god forbid they let the rest of the country join the big leagues thank the lord that never happens that would be atrooocious
---
All location-based saltiness aside, I'm preeetty sure PM will make some sort of appearance. Until I hear Nintendo is sponsoring, I'm not worried about it.

Who knows, maybe they just aren't mentioning PM outright in order to keep Nintendo from snooping around. Nintendo WOULD have plenty of time to intervene if this tournament announced it now, five months from now.

So in my opinion, we should all just keep our mouths shut and wait and see what more comes from this.
Wasn't EVO in Veagas last year?

frobo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
fr0br0
I don't like big groups (20+) so I'm not as hyped as the others, ha ha!

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
The PMDT told you from the get-go that PM may meet an abrupt end and that there's nothing to be done, I believe. The dev team probably doesn't want you to be making a stink over what they saw as inevitable. I understand that you're upset... But there's really nothing that can be done. Complaining and arguing isn't working.
Except Warchamp was pretty vocal about smash con not having pm on twitter

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
so glad they didnt include the mod in this con. only REAL smash games should be included.
The name "Super Smash Con" doesn't mean it has to be only official stuff, though; that's like saying that DragonCon should only have stuff from the real Dragon Ball series and nothing from DBZ Abridged.

Big Brother Nintendo probably wouldn't object to Project M on a con stage; that's not something huge for promoting new product like EVO or Apex, and it's pretty likely that Smash for WiiU is going to be there, as well; it is a Smash Con, after all.
And no matter how we put it, Project M is, in a way, a part of Smash's history; it was one of the first big modifications to Brawl, specifically designed to make it more competetively viable. It stands as a monument to what our community can do if we're given the proper motivation to do it; and as long as there's nothing monetary about Project M, Nintendo literally cannot shut it down under U.S copyright law.

But I would guess Project M's days at the big name tournaments is over, because of Nintendo's increasing involvement in the competetive Smash scene.

Keman

Smash Apprentice
Why does everyone compare PM to SSF2, SD Remix, or whatever?

They are all mods, but PM has a solid place in the community as its own stand alone game within the tournament scene.

PM just had a PM focused Tourney last weekend that had like 200+ entrants with M2K and Ally in grand finals as well as 5k+ people watching on twitch. (and that was with horrible weather causing many good players to have to cancel)

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
everyone else is going out of their way to avoid a long term dispute from the folks in PM, and then there's junk like this.

it's no wonder there's such a split in the community, comments like these get made with a full few pages demonstrating what will happen. I love the smash community, and want to support it, but this inside **** disturbance makes me sick...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
everyone else is going out of their way to avoid a long term dispute from the folks in PM, and then there's junk like this.

it's no wonder there's such a split in the community, comments like these get made with a full few pages demonstrating what will happen. I love the smash community, and want to support it, but this inside **** disturbance makes me sick...
Obviously there is a split in the communities. PM is one of the biggest offenders in causing such splits. It used to pretty much Melee and Brawl but then PM showed up and started abducting players of both games to their new mod that is supposed to be the real sequel to Melee. Its whole existence is an insult to Melee and Brawl.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Obviously there is a split in the communities. PM is one of the biggest offenders in causing such splits. It used to pretty much Melee and Brawl but then PM showed up and started abducting players of both games to their new mod that is supposed to be the real sequel to Melee. Its whole existence is an insult to Melee and Brawl.
Abducting is way too strong; people gravitated to PM because it was essentially the best of both Melee and Brawl without the faults of either game.

And I'd rather Brawl's existance be insulted because, as much hype as it generated, it was far too focused on being a casual party game instead of appealing to both casual and hardcore crowds. That's why PM even came into existance; because Brawl was so heavily catering to the casual crowd.

With Smash 4, that's not a problem anymore. But it doesn't change the fact that Brawl was a competetively horrific game. Mechanics like tripping, the floaty jumping and the slow combat may appeal to a casual "oh lookit dis gaem guiz" crowd, but to the hardcore competetive crowd, it was the worst way to go from Melee.

And I have to agree there; Brawl is awful in a competetive scene. It encouraged players to space and generally play the campy defensive game. Horrendously OP characters like Meta Knight reigned over tournaments before they were banned, there were barely any stages that could be considered legal outside of Battlefield and Final Destination, etc. Tripping was a horrible mechanic that essentially killed competetive play because it was an permanently active random mechanic, etc.

Brawl tried too hard to be a party game and forgot it was a fighting game as well, really.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Whoa I guess Nintendo must REALLY be trying to get involved in the tournament scene as a whole. Makes me wonder if their attitudes toward competitive play as a whole aren't the same as Sakurai's.

But yeah; if Nintendo turns out to not be involved, and Project M becomes a part of this, how about promoting Melee SD Remix, too? Or better yet, the upcoming 20XX + SD Remix pack?

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
This guy thinking that PM is an official mod oops oh wait nah it is a mod

PM will never be official stop acting like it is.
He never said anything about it being official or unofficial. He just said it's one of the biggest smash communities, and it is. There's a reason it has its own section on the forums.

I'm not even gonna get involved in the whole PM not being there thing right now, I'm just excited about Smashcon on the whole, but don't attack the guy for something he never even said. :p

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No, DOTA 2 is a standalone game. The original Defense of The Ancients was a Warcraft III mod.
You are correct. However the original dota mod is irrelevant now and everyone refers to Dota2 as just Dota. When it was a mod it was only a warcraft mod. Before Valve got involved and release Dota2 it wasn't a real game.
If Nintendo some day makes PM2 or something it will be a real game.
No matter how good it is, a mod is a mod until it's made into a game. There is nothing wrong with mods, I love Brawl- myself, it's just that as far as I am concerned, PM players are a part of the Brawl community as PM is only a modification of Brawl. The game is still Brawl.

Thor

Smash Champion
Brawl Minus is hectic only in FFAs [which is why most people who play casually get it, to spice those up] and it's always been about balance, it's just that people figured out how to abuse stuff and the word about that stuff spread before balance patches. Brawl Minus 3.Q is actually fairly balanced [Lucario problems have peristed, but one character having only a few even MUs and tst good isn't a black mark (Melee Fox)].

The stigmas, misinformation, and outright lies spread by the community are unfortunate, because Brawl Minus is one of the first mods that offers a truly different gameplay experience, instead of just "make it Melee" [but we made Fox like Melee anyway, because that seemed most broken of all]. Terrible misinterpretations of Minus slogans haven't helped this either.

If you've actually played the mod at anything beneath a surface level experience, then I'm going to have to ask what version you played to give you such an impression, and what the issue was [ROB multilaser? unlimited boost with a hitbox? MAX Lucario? MAX Sheik?], since many things have been toned down [or buffed to give others a much fairer fight]. If you're not speaking from experience, then I must state, quite flatly, that your depiction of the game is grossly inaccurate.

*Also we have Pichu and Roy and we're getting Mewtwo soon [supposedly], which is more than PM can say. So if you ever wanted to play a Pichu that doesn't suck, look out for Brawl Minus 4.0.

EDIT: Also, although I'm sure this theory has been shot down several times, I'm curious as to what the answers to it are... so to the people saying GIMR = sellout, how do we know he's not doing this to try to increase VGBC's leverage with Nintendo, ultimately in the effort to make them recognize PM [and other mods, like Brawl Minus or SSF2 or whatever] as legitimate? If GIMR takes their money and advertises the game he potentially becomes something profitable to them... so couldn't he at some point establish some point of control [ex: based on my knowledge of how things work, we could increase profit by doing X, Y, Z...], then advise them to encourage the existence of PM (as part of this plan), and hope for the best??? If so, canning PM for now is simply a way to start off on the right foot, so that when he tries to do something that might be touchy/controversial he'll be speaking from a better position than where he is now...

Last edited:

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
This is a celebration of the communities of the games. PM simply isn't a game, and while I liked PM, I'm okay with it dying.

Top Bottom