• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event Super Smash Con 2019 Discussion Thread

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Samsora:ultpeach: has finally defeated his demon. 3-2 over MkLeo:ultjoker:.

Samsora has definitely began to figure out what to do when Arsene is out: whether to stall, or go aggressively.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Marss :ultzss: 3-1s Maister :ultgnw:, eliminating him at a very impressive 5th place.

That... was abrupt; Maister did a pretty good job of keeping up with Marss for the most part, but those 3 SDs were more than enough to cost him the set.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Those SDs from Maister during his set against Marss (especially the last one) is giving me Full Bloom 5 vibes.

The last SD against Marss during that tournament still irks me to this day.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
That set ended almost exactly same the last time Marss and Maister faced-off . Maister had the advantage and he SD'd AGAIN.

Do players just get that scared of Flip-Kick?

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
That set ended almost exactly same the last time Marss and Maister faced-off . Maister had the advantage and he SD'd AGAIN.

Do players just get that scared of Flip-Kick?
I remember Maister mentioning that he finds :ultzss: to be the hardest match-up for him. If I were to guess, even if Maister was doing well, the idea of going up against the best ZSS player in the world really got under his skin.

EDIT: MKLeo :ultjoker: 3-2s Nairo :ultpalutena::ultzss:, ending his very impressive run at 5th place.

Nairo looked like he almost had it in the beginning of the game 5; unfortunately afterwards, MKLeo started steamrolling him near the end, and Nairo's major misinput at the end was hard to watch.

Last edited:

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Nairo appeared to be playing at Peak Palutena this tournament. I was impressed w/ how far he seemed to push the character, especially regarding certain player/ fighter matchups that he seemed to struggle w/ in recent sets.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Leo might have the strongest mental fortitude I've ever seen. He was definitely struggling game 4 during the first set of grand finals, but pulls through with another miraculous comeback, and just doesn't drop a game afterwards. It's essentially EVO all over again.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Damn, MKLeo is just an anime character. Not only the comebacks, but the comebacks on game 4, when he HAS to win, and he is 2 stocks down. Simply absurd.

I felt like Samsora was doing best when he was stalling Arsene more, and wish he had tried it a little more. That said, MKLeo will pick your defensive options apart so quickly that I understand having to fight, and it isn't as simple as timing it out being the best because you take big hunks off his meter by hitting him with Peach Combos.

Samsora was amazing at getting around the reflector edgeguards, peach can go so low and airdodge to the stage. It seems having an airdodge to ledge option adds another layer, because what once was a guaranteed counter hit (see FE in smash 4) can now be bypassed... but if you call it out you can usually get a brutal spike.

Pulling a bomb to get it shot by the gun immediately is tough. With how much Peach dislikes the little chip damage from guns it is really a pretty scary deterrent to pull turnips in spite of the gun. I mean, getting shot a few times is annoying enough but a small chance to detonate when it happens really pushes that home. I know its a small percentage, but Peach gets enough small percentages through the sets that it is certainly scary.

These sets are tgoing to be rewatched by me a lot. Master class on how to adapt to a player, even at the top level. Usually in these huge comebacks nerves are factor and the losing player seems to play pretty poorly; I definitely didn't feel this way this time. I mean sam made mistakes, but no one can play perfect with that kind of joker pressure on deck.

Peach combo trees seem pretty interactive, not as BnB guaranteed as they felt early on but certainly good enough that you don't just get chip damage on good players. I really like the interaction.

Top Bottom