• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Con 2016: Smash Wii U Top 8 Results

Top 8 for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U at Super Smash Con has concluded. Once again, this event proved to be one of the highlights of Summer Smash. Over 1,250 entrants competed in the Wii U tournament, netting it the finale slot on Sunday’s VGBootCamp stream. Of those, only eight players remained:

The Final Bracket:
Winners’ Side:
Nairoby “Liquid Nairo” vs. James “CLG Void” Makekau-Tyson
Andrew “MVG ScAtt” Huntley vs. Ramin “Mr.R” Delshad
Losers’ Side:
Samuel “dT | Dabuz” Buzby vs. Griffin “TA | Fatality” Miller
Elliot “Ally” Carroza-Oyarce vs. Yuta “Abadango” Kawamura

Top 8 matches started in losers’ bracket with Ally vs. Abadango. Fittingly, several games of this set played out on Smashville. After going down a stock early in game 1, Ally managed to clutch the match out. Game 2 began similarly, but went solidly in Abadango’s favor. Ally once again managed to win the pivotal game 3 from a deficit. Abadango counterpicked Dreamland game 4, sealing a commanding 2-stock with a turnaround u-tilt to u-smash. However, Ally wasn’t fazed, returning fire with an early cape kill and f-air spike.
Result: Ally :4mario: 3-2 Abadango :4mewtwo:

Also in losers was Dabuz vs. Fatality, a rematch from last year’s Super Smash Con where Fatality came out on top. Though no fan of the Rosalina-Falcon matchup, Dabuz opted for his main game 1 instead of his secondary Olimar. Game 1 was on Smashville and went in favor of Fatality. Dabuz stuck to his Rosa guns and counterpicked Final Destination, strengthening his juggle game. It didn’t matter, however, as Fatality landed two Raptor Boost kills and went up 2-0. Olimar finally came out game 3 and got Dabuz on the board. Fatality tried counterpicking FD himself, but it backfired and the set was tied at game point. Game 5 made it clear that Dabuz had clearly adapted to his opponent.
Result: Dabuz :rosalina::4olimar: 3-2 Fatality :4falcon:

Next up was ScAtt vs. Mr.R to get into winners’ finals. Though Sheik is heavily favored against Mega Man, Mr.R did lose to Kamemushi just last month at EVO. It appears he learned from that encounter; Mr.R won a clean game 1. Game 2 again went in Mr.R’s favor after an early u-smash kill. ScAtt stuck with Megaman and it didn’t go much better for him during the last game. Mr.R suffocated him with a 2-stock and sealed out the first 3-0 result of the day.
Result: Mr.R :4sheik: 3- ScAtt :4megaman:

On the other side of winners’ bracket were Nairo and VoiD. This matchup has historically favored Nairo, who won two sets at Lvl Up Expo and one at KTAR XVIII. However, VoiD came prepared and took game 1 with some solid edgeguarding. Nairo picked Battlefield game 2 and took the game with 2 clutch Boost Kicks out-of-shield. Game 3 was incredibly close, with Nairo suffering an early SD but landing a rage b-air to win it. VoiD quickly ran it back and took game 4, making this the third set to go to game 5. However, today was not his day; Nairo landed early z-air and Flip Kick kills offstage and managed to snatch victory once again.
Result: Nairo :4zss: 3-2 VoiD :4sheik:

Upon entering the losers bracket, ScAtt had to play Dabuz, who he’d beaten in phase 2 of pools yesterday. This time, Dabuz opened by picking Olimar and the two struck to Final Destination for a battle of projectiles. Game 1 went down to the wire and was clutched out by Dabuz with an u-throw. Game 2 was on Smashville but ended in the same fashion. ScAtt switched to Cloud for a better matchup. Though he did land a cool Climhazzard spike, it wasn’t enough to net him the game. Dabuz advanced in a convincing fashion without ever needing his main.
Result: Dabuz :4olimar: 3-0 ScAtt :4megaman::4cloud2:

Meanwhile, VoiD found himself up against Ally, the man who eliminated Gonzalo “ZeRo” Barrios from the tournament earlier in the day. When the two played at Pound 2016, VoiD won with a clean 3-0. However, Ally won the runback and eliminated VoiD at MomoCon 2016. Today’s rematch extended this rivalry. Ally took game 1 on Smashville, and VoiD responded with a win on Final Destination. Ally quickly ran it back to FD, which proved to be a mistake, and VoiD took the lead. Ally managed to live to 220% on Battlefield, but VoiD’s smothering combo game still proved too much in the end.
Result: VoiD :4sheik: 3-1 Ally :4mario:

Winners’ finals was a classic matchup: Nairo vs. Mr.R. These two have played a number of sets, and the results have swung back and forth. As a result, they have a deep understanding of each other’s habits. Both players went down a stock after a mere minute in game 1, which went to Mr.R after some merciless edgeguarding. Game 2 was Nairo’s chance to mount incredible offensive pressure, but Mr.R almost made a comeback. Mr.R tried counterpicking Dreamland, but it backfired and Nairo dominated game 3. Next, they went to Smashville and Mr.R won in equally convincing fashion. Nairo wasn’t bothered and took game 5 with yet another OoS Boost Kick.
Result: Nairo :4zss: 3-2 Mr.R :4sheik:

Losers’ semis was Dabuz vs. VoiD, another classic Smash 4 matchup. Historically, Dabuz has been heavily favored here, but VoiD recently expressed optimism about his future odds. Oddly, Dabuz chose to lead with Olimar rather than opt for his tried-and-true Rosalina. It worked for about a stock before VoiD took control of game 1. Dabuz went back to Rosalina and narrowly won game 2 with a bold u-smash trade at high percent. The next game was far less close; Dabuz won with a 2-stock. VoiD almost won game 4, but got killed early at the ledge by a Luma d-air.
Result: Dabuz :rosalina::4olimar: 3-1 VoiD :4sheik:

Only three players remained: Nairo (waiting in grand finals), Dabuz and Mr.R. Last Smash Con, Mr.R ended Dabuz’s run in 9th place. This year, the same match occurred in losers’ finals. Dabuz took a strong lead game 1, winning with an f-throw at the ledge. Mr.R picked Battlefield in hopes of improving his options in disadvantaged state, but Dabuz got another d-air kill to secure a 2-0 lead. Mr.R responded with a highly unexpected Bayonetta counterpick on Town and City. Dabuz was completely unrattled and ended the set with an anticlimactic 2-stock.
Result: Dabuz :rosalina: 3-0 Mr.R :4sheik::4bayonetta2:

Even with a number of top players from around the world attending, SSC grand finals proved to be a classic match between New York and New Jersey. Drawing from past experience, Dabuz chose Olimar game 1 to handle Nairo’s deadly ZSS. Though it appeared to be working, Nairo brought it back and Flip Kick spiked Dabuz for the win. Dabuz switched to Rosalina and counterpicked Duck Hunt, but performed even worse, dying twice to f-smash near the ledge. Game 3 saw a return of Olimar on Lylat Cruise. Dabuz managed to get himself on the board, but got destroyed on Town and City the following game.
Result: Nairo :4zss: 3-1 Dabuz :4olimar::rosalina:

The Final Results:
1) Liquid Nairo :4zss:
2) dt | Dabuz :4olimar::rosalina:
3) Mr.R :4sheik::4bayonetta2:
4) CLG VoiD :4sheik:
5) MVG ScAtt :4megaman::4cloud2:
5) Ally :4mario:
7) TA | Fatality :4falcon:
7) Abadango :4mewtwo:

This is a huge win for Nairo, who many people had been questioning and who’d been seeded lower than usual at SSC. He’s shown his critics that he’s still in top form. Congratulations to everyone who placed, and thanks for an entertaining show! You should be able to view all replays shortly on VGBootCamp's YouTube channel. Also, thanks to Zak “Coney” Z., Phil “EE” Visu, and Terrence “TKbreezy” Kershaw for the excellent commentary. Finally, this event could not have happened without Michael “Nintendude” Brancato and Robin “Juggleguy” Harn. Be sure to follow them for updates and more quality content. Do let us know what you thought of this tournament in the comments below!

Last edited:
G.C. "Djent" Bill

Comments

I hope Fatality wins, because it would bring glory back to post patch Captain Falcon as that character honesly kind of sucks now in my opinion.

Congrats to ScAtt for getting 5th place. As much as I dislike Dabuz's fighting style of taking things slowly, it was pretty smart of him to go Olimar for the second set, as not many people know the Olimar MU.

*sigh* well ZeRo had a good run with Diddy and I suppose shiek but now would probably be a good time to pick someone else hmm? someone that you haven't played as yet but is crazy good *winks twice*. Also comment on Ally's top 8 "Son of a B i t ch!!! Again??!! If this isn't gunning for best in the world I don't know what is.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see no Dabuz hate here. Seems like Smashboards has actually mature people.
Anyway, I was delighted when Dabuz won losers finals, because I was going to enjoy it whoever won. I'm a big fan of Dabuz for his defensive and intelligent playstyle, but I wanted Nairo to win again. Good games to him

it doesn't matter. it is a good game but as it clearly encourages defense is a trash competitive game. i just hopes ally will get back to pm since he prooves his point, we missed his Ike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom