• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Crusade - v0.9.0 Demo Available for download!

dettadeus

Smash Lord

Watch in 720p and get hyped up!

What is Super Smash Bros. Crusade?

Super Smash Bros. Crusade is a large project built from the ground up and started by three die-hard Smash Bros. fans, Phantom7, Falcon8r, and Dr.MarioX. Our goal is to create a Smash Bros. game packed with characters and stages from the most memorable video games of all time as well as create a Smash Bros. experience that combines the greatest features that all three official Smash Bros. games have to offer.

Character List

Characters currently in Demo version 0.9.0:

Pictures of Current Content

SSBC Development Team

Jaklub - General Programming, Game Direction
Dettadeus - General Direction, Character Coding, Character Spriting
GigaPichu - Character Spriting
SmashKing - Character/Stage Spriting, Stage Coding, Forum Administration
Mp3 Toaster - General Programming
Dry - Character Coding, Character Balancing

Perfect Hell - Character Balancing
Dustination - Character and Stage Spriting
(There are many other people helping out, but too many to list here. A full list will be included in the game's credits)

Inactive/Retired Developers:
Falcon8r - Programming, General Development
Phantom7 - Art and Graphics (Original poster of this thread)
Dr. MarioX - Spriting
Werekill - Miscellaneous
Felipe_9595 - Character Balancing, Stage Programming

System Requirements

Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
DirectX 8
or later
DirectX 8 compatible graphics card with at least 32MB of video memory
Pentium
or equivalent processor
DirectX 8 compatible sound card
128 MB of memory or greater (noted only in official Game Maker help file documentation)
960×720 or greater screen resolution with 16-bit or 32-bit colors

FAQs

What types of / How many characters will be included in this game? -- We have quite a lengthy list of fighters (the character roster will total 80 characters, plus alternate forms). There will be plenty of 3rd parties and new representatives from Nintendo games, along with a bonus -- 1 4th party (not originally from a video game series) representative that appears frequently in video games, and that is Goku.

What types of / How many stages are in this game? -- We also have quite a long stage list (app. 60-65) that includes a great variety of past (64, Melee, and Brawl) and original stages. The roster is being changed slightly, but will still be around 65 stages.

Will this game include and Online Play feature? -- The game already features online play via P2P in v0.8.4. This feature will be returning in the full v0.9.

How many hours a day does the team work on the game? -- There isn't a set amount of time. Personally, some days I may not touch the .gmk, others I might work on it as long as I'm awake. I plan to devote a lot of time to Project: Crusade, but I have a life too, you know! As for the rest of the team, it's still pretty choppy.

Which Smash Bros. game is SSBC going to resemble the most? -- Probably Melee. But some features showcased in Brawl are a part of this game (this does not include tripping!). Overall, though, it tries to be its own game, and it feels very much like that.

What resolution does SSBC run in? 1280 x 720. However, the full v0.9 will feature the ability to change the resolution of the window if you have a slower computer.

Will there be NASL in SSBC? Edges have a significant sweetspot area around them, mainly implemented to help out characters with shorter horizontal recovery. The sweetspot is approximately the size of Kirby's body. Also, note that you will auto-grab an edge if you walk off or roll off of it while DI'ing toward the stage.

Lol can I do SHDJCFFL in SSBC? Uhhh, not exactly, but I'll tell you this. Double jumps can be short-hopped. There is fast-falling, but it doesn't cancel upwards momentum. L-Cancelling is in the game as of v0.8. Some moves will autocancel in their last few frames as well.

Will there be [LOLrandom mehanic from other game series]? Mostly, the answer here is no. The game will have the mechanisms present in Melee, for the most part, but even these may only to be some extent.

How many moves do characters have? Here is a full list:
Jab
Forward, Up, and Down Tilts
Dash Attack
Nair, Fair, Bair, Uair, and Dair
Forward, Up, and Down Smashes
Grab
Forward, Back, Up, and Down Throws
Neutral B
Side B and Smash B (on some characters, such as Samus and Ryu)
Up B (and Smash Up B on few characters)
Down B
Edge Recovery Attack
Final Smash(es)
Examples of Smash B vs Side B - Samus Super Missiles vs. Homing Missiles, Ryu's EX Hurricane Kick vs. normal Hurricane Kick

How much Hitstun will attacks cause? The hitstun is somewhere between Melee and Brawl, leaning towards Melee, and it depends heavily on the attack being used. Also, throws have an intrinsic 3 extra stun frames which is just enough to allow some combos to occur. Many attacks have extra inherent hitstun, like Snake's Knee and Ryu's Down Tilt, but most normal attacks do not have much. So, for instance, Up Tilt juggling with Mario is mostly dependent on your opponent's failure to escape. This is not to say there are no true combos; in fact, every character in the game so far has at least two true attack strings that occur at specific damage percents. This game is not too combo-heavy, but it has a few. However, there is a combo-counter that lets you know when you successfully perform an attack string.

Are there Final Smashes / How do they work? Well, you have a Smash Gauge below your character's percent monitor on the screen, and this gauge fills up as you pound the living tar out of your enemies. It also fills up a little bit when you take damage, as well. When it's full, it will turn white and say ("FINAL SMASH!") That's your chance to pull out all the stops and unleash your character's ultimate attack. You can even adjust the amount of power the gauge will take to fill up in the VS Settings. The default is 200, but you can go as low as 50 and as high as 1000. 50 is a little ridiculous, though, so use wisely.

Is this a Flash game? Nope. We use Game Maker 7 Pro, for specific reasons, like ease of programming and knowledge of the GM language.

Will there be Mac Versions? Hopefully, but it may be a while before that's possible. As Windows (and Lynux) users, we'll have to get our hands on a Mac somehow in order to do that.

How can I insert my own music into the game? Simply insert an MP3 (.mp3) audio file into the SSBC/music/(stage name) folder. The audio file will play at the stage that corresponds to the folder you inserted it in (obviously). The game will display the name of the file - without the extension - at the beginning of a match. You can insert multiple files, and they will be selected randomly during gameplay.

Gameplay Videos

Coming Soon​

Last edited:

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
There's been a lot of talk about ppl making "games" that never show up.......i love your idea, but i won't beleive it until u show some pictures :)

Sinistar

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai would say...

"Wait! The game isn't even out yet! Delayed guys!"

And everyone would commit suicide.

And at the end when they do that, Sakurai says "...sike..."

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Man, you're in way over your head...there's no way you're gonna be able to sprite all of that stuff unless you know Abysswolf or something...

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Sakurai would say...

"Wait! The game isn't even out yet! Delayed guys!"

And everyone would commit suicide.

And at the end when they do that, Sakurai says "YOU MUST RECOVER!"
Fixed. :p

But, yeah. Good luck with the game and all, but I'll need some more information before I mark its release date on my calender. Maybe a demo, screens, details? Anything would be great.

Metallic_Igloo

Smash Apprentice
how are you going to make it with Game Maker, not to be harsh or anything but my experience tells me that trying to make a game with Game Maker will be difficult.

Edit: Maybe I could help I have a program called FunEditor that is better, but it would still be hard to do. I also have a C# programs, and I've taken some classes in C++ and C#.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Guys, remember Lexl5??? This is probably some guy that has an idea of making a game and hasn't even started. If you actually have started, kudos to you, beucase your game sounds comprehensive.

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
yeah i dont know if most game maker will be able to support so many sprites and commands, i mean i made a relatively small game with lots of sprites and it ended up taking over 2 minutes to load.. just saying, but good luck if you know what your doing

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am actually doing the same thing, however, I am not making an actual game per se, but I will be designing what Smash 4 should be. I have finally decided what the roster should be and I have already crafted some movesets. I have also finished an outline for the game's Adventure Mode and began already designing levels and bosses for it. I have also decided upon several Assist Trophies at this stage, as well as what the trophy representation should be for some series. There are also several stages that I have come up with as well. If you are familiar with some of my previous work, a ton of detail will go into the project. However, don't expect the project to be complete any time soon, and I only expect a bare-bones version of my project to be posted late June at the earliest. It might even take over a year for my project to be fully complete. I am hoping for when it is fully done, it will be a fully complete Smash 4, except in written form.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Wait no Wolf??? SMASH BROS NEED MOAR WOLF!!!

EDIT: And why would the next game be called

Super smash Bros: roman catholic Holy war to kill Muslims, Jews and any one occupying the Holy land?

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
hey, you know there's a new smash bros game called Smash Bros. Brawl that just came out you should try it, it's amazing.

Kronzo

Smash Apprentice
Eh.. bring all the deleted melee chars back except Doc.. and add Raichu, Megaman, Geno, Chuck Norris.

i hope this is actually real and has better game play then supersmashflash.

Sugata Designs

Smash Cadet
Ok.

First. This is a terrible thread. Having been in the Game Maker / RPG Maker / WC3 Maker / and SC Maker communities, I can tell you now this game will NEVER see fruition.

Second. Game Maker is TERRIBLE software. Ok, maybe not terrible for silly small games, but if you really want to make a game do it through 3D engines and actual languages. OpenGL and DirectX are your best bet. C# or C++ are good languages to use for advanced games. If these are too hard, then settle for less and start with easy to make games. Example: PONG.

If you try to reach space using stacked rocks, you're not going to get very far. Really, thats about as good of a comparison as something like Game Maker is to hard coding your own game.

Next. There's a reason why games like smash take so long to create. EVEN if it was made in all 2D it would still take a while to get the game out to play. This **** doesn't just fly right out of the oven when someone writes down some ideas for a game in notepad. There's a lot of work. A LOT of work.

Also, if you're going to create something this massive, be original. Don't make Final Fantasy XV, Smash Brothers 6, or Halo 4. Make an ORIGINAL game. EVEN if you actually get far into the creation of the game, and that's a HUGE if, you'll most likely get a cease & desist from Nintendo, and all of your precious work will have gone to waste. Example: http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/
This team however was much different from a game like this, as it wasn't one person trying to conquer the world - it was many dedicated individuals that spent an enormous amount of time on a true 3d recreation.

Having been in the communities mentioned above for so long, I usually expect topics like this to get flamed and bashed as they usually are in the game making communities, because topics like this NEVER see reality. "IMA MAKE THE NEXT CHRONO CROSS WITH LIUKE 150 NEW AREAS TO EEXPLORE AND 200 SONGS AND 4 LAVOS'"

Start Here: www.microsoft.com/express/
Then Here: http://www.gamedev.net

Make a few 20 - 30 games using OpenGL, DirectX, etc.
--- Then, if you still feel up to it, make the thread. Right now all you're doing is creating question marks (:confused:) for all of those who are not that savvy with the game making scene.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Ok.

First. This is a terrible thread. Having been in the Game Maker / RPG Maker / WC3 Maker / and SC Maker communities, I can tell you now this game will NEVER see fruition.

Second. Game Maker is TERRIBLE software. Ok, maybe not terrible for silly small games, but if you really want to make a game do it through 3D engines and actual languages. OpenGL and DirectX are your best bet. C# or C++ are good languages to use for advanced games. If these are too hard, then settle for less and start with easy to make games. Example: PONG.

If you try to reach space using stacked rocks, you're not going to get very far. Really, thats about as good of a comparison as something like Game Maker is to hard coding your own game.

Next. There's a reason why games like smash take so long to create. EVEN if it was made in all 2D it would still take a while to get the game out to play. This **** doesn't just fly right out of the oven when someone writes down some ideas for a game in notepad. There's a lot of work. A LOT of work.

Also, if you're going to create something this massive, be original. Don't make Final Fantasy XV, Smash Brothers 6, or Halo 4. Make an ORIGINAL game. EVEN if you actually get far into the creation of the game, and that's a HUGE if, you'll most likely get a cease & desist from Nintendo, and all of your precious work will have gone to waste. Example: http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/
This team however was much different from a game like this, as it wasn't one person trying to conquer the world - it was many dedicated individuals that spent an enormous amount of time on a true 3d recreation.

Having been in the communities mentioned above for so long, I usually expect topics like this to get flamed and bashed as they usually are in the game making communities, because topics like this NEVER see reality. "IMA MAKE THE NEXT CHRONO CROSS WITH LIUKE 150 NEW AREAS TO EEXPLORE AND 200 SONGS AND 4 LAVOS'"

Start Here: www.microsoft.com/express/
Then Here: http://www.gamedev.net

Make a few 20 - 30 games using OpenGL, DirectX, etc.
--- Then, if you still feel up to it, make the thread. Right now all you're doing is creating question marks (:confused:) for all of those who are not that savvy with the game making scene.
QFT, even a sprite based smash system would take a long time to make and without a good engine it would be totally pointless. I'll stick to Smash Bros Brawl until Nintendo manages to make a new one or some 3rd party creates a better fighting game.

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
This will never ever happen.

Stop filling the mindless masses of this forum with false hope. I know its sometimes fun to herd a bunch of sheep around, but just stop. Its going too far. This place is screwed up enough as it is.

Metallic_Igloo

Smash Apprentice
I feel bad that everyone is so against you, you could get a whole team together and maybe start something and you might get it done in a year or two if you want lots in it. and the whole cease and desist thing, you could just make your own original characters.

Sugata Designs

Smash Cadet
I feel bad that everyone is so against you, you could get a whole team together and maybe start something and you might get it done in a year or two if you want lots in it. and the whole cease and desist thing, you could just make your own original characters.
I'm not against him, I'm just being honest in that his dream is completely unrealistic and unattainable in the current state. For the record, if he made his own original characters, that wouldn't be a new smash bros game. It would be an entirely different game.

Top Bottom