• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Crusade - v0.9.0 Demo Available for download!

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I have, And Im quite the fan. >.>
But yeah I DID notice the FD. Hence why I didnt praise Ala about SSBC getting a new one. I dont like seeing repeats of Stages. And honestly I think SSF2 Should get a new FD because all the games had an original FD y'know? So it doesnt feel right in my opinion.

... Maybe I should go to the forums for SSF2 sometime too

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Q: Would you mind us taking your Hydro plant stage without any consent?
What the hell is Hydro Plant? Seriously, give us a little respect and get the names right.

I agree with both sides of the argument however being biased a bit towards what Night's Owl said, but looking at things from an objective standpoint, there are clearly some ethical issues that need to be assessed.

The most obvious one is the ethical implications of using resources found on the Internet that are not the property of the user. People do this sort of thing all the time when they download music, movies, and even Wii game ROMs, to give a specific example. I have a friend and I asked him, "Have you bought Metroid: Other M yet?" His reply was, "Well, I downloaded it." I am used to hearing this kind of thing, but you have to realize that the Nintendo folks make their living selling games like Metroid to retailers, and in turn, the game retailers such as Game Stop and others make a living selling those games to us. So, in downloading a game for basically no cost to the user, the user is taking money from someone, whether it be Nintendo or a nearby game retailer.

However, in the case of sprites made by hobbyists such as me who like to waste their lives making fan rip-offs of games, the case is different. Sprites that represent copyrighted material cannot be sold without a license. So, the money obviously isn't an issue here. Instead, the only value attached to a sprite sheet is the creative value - the "intellectual property" of the sprite maker. This so-called intellectual property is serious business. It is the same kind of property in which music is categorized. We hear music on the radio and on CDs or from our iPods, but we are not free to give it away as we please without risk of being caught (and most likely sued by the RIAA). Likewise, we see sprites in games that we play, and we can play these games as much as we like. However, we are not supposed to take the sprites and sell them or claim them as our own.

In this case, we have an individual who has taken a few sprites from SSF2's forums (some of which are already seen in SSF2's demos) and has decided that they might prove useful in SSBC. I think this is fine as long as this person doesn't distribute them to everyone without any acknowledgments of the creators [which this person is currently doing].

I must admit, however, that felipe has made a good suggestion by doing all this - SSBC should have better looking stages. I feel that some stages look pretty good, but others (such as Final Destination) need work. I view this whole thing as a sort of wake-up call to the SSBC developers. And, don't worry - I won't distribute the game bundled with these stages.

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
What the hell is Hydro Plant? Seriously, give us a little respect and get the names right.

I agree with both sides of the argument however being biased a bit towards what Night's Owl said, but looking at things from an objective standpoint, there are clearly some ethical issues that need to be assessed.

The most obvious one is the ethical implications of using resources found on the Internet that are not the property of the user. People do this sort of thing all the time when they download music, movies, and even Wii game ROMs, to give a specific example. I have a friend and I asked him, "Have you bought Metroid: Other M yet?" His reply was, "Well, I downloaded it." I am used to hearing this kind of thing, but you have to realize that the Nintendo folks make their living selling games like Metroid to retailers, and in turn, the game retailers such as Game Stop and others make a living selling those games to us. So, in downloading a game for basically no cost to the user, the user is taking money from someone, whether it be Nintendo or a nearby game retailer.

However, in the case of sprites made by hobbyists such as me who like to waste their lives making fan rip-offs of games, the case is different. Sprites that represent copyrighted material cannot be sold without a license. So, the money obviously isn't an issue here. Instead, the only value attached to a sprite sheet is the creative value - the "intellectual property" of the sprite maker. This so-called intellectual property is serious business. It is the same kind of property in which music is categorized. We hear music on the radio and on CDs or from our iPods, but we are not free to give it away as we please without risk of being caught (and most likely sued by the RIAA). Likewise, we see sprites in games that we play, and we can play these games as much as we like. However, we are not supposed to take the sprites and sell them or claim them as our own.

In this case, we have an individual who has taken a few sprites from SSF2's forums (some of which are already seen in SSF2's demos) and has decided that they might prove useful in SSBC. I think this is fine as long as this person doesn't distribute them to everyone without any acknowledgments of the creators [which this person is currently doing].

I must admit, however, that felipe has made a good suggestion by doing all this - SSBC should have better looking stages. I feel that some stages look pretty good, but others (such as Final Destination) need work. I view this whole thing as a sort of wake-up call to the SSBC developers. And, don't worry - I won't distribute the game bundled with these stages.
I'd have to say. That was well said. And I didnt expect falcon to be up this late. o_O. Anyway. Lets just drop the whole thing. Ask Mr.Shareslotsastages to stop and just continue making the 2 games. K? I mean seriously. >.> Maybe Sharing some sprites with each other could make the 2 games bigger and better.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
I'd have to say. That was well said. And I didnt expect falcon to be up this late. o_O. Anyway. Lets just drop the whole thing. Ask Mr.Shareslotsastages to stop and just continue making the 2 games. K? I mean seriously. >.> Maybe Sharing some sprites with each other could make the 2 games bigger and better.
Hey, you know, I have brought that up before - sharing some knowledge and/or sprites wouldn't hurt anything. I think the only reason we don't share is that we want to be unique. But obviously, the games are pretty different as it is.

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
Hey, you know, I have brought that up before - sharing some knowledge and/or sprites wouldn't hurt anything. I think the only reason we don't share is that we want to be unique. But obviously, the games are pretty different as it is.
Well Falcon, I believe even with the same sprites, The 2 could be VERY different games. I mean. Think of all the Super Mario World hacks there are. Only like a bajillion. And even if most have the same graphics; They are still pretty good right?

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Yes, I am on your side on this one. I'm just saying that the uniqueness thing has been given as a reason before. "We don't want to look just like them" is the kind of thing I've heard. It's a good point, but at least sharing some stage backgrounds wouldn't hurt, right?

Now, we have to ask permission first! I am not saying let's go raid the forums...

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
-shrug- It seems like a lot of their backgrounds are pretty easy to get with the help of any common emulator. I mean, I could help with ripping game backgrounds. Its not too hard. I mean, yeah, custom ones are good and what not. And no one wants their own game to look like another. Its just kinda taking the fun out of it. Thats why you guys used the SMI stage to look differently from the Brawl one, Right? Backgrounds dont hurt, Neither do character sprites.

We can LOOK in the forums then ask permission from people, ( I think most would say no, sadly) But I think we might find a nice person or two ;D

EDIT: Falcon, I have a half genius Idea for a stage. >.> Its kind of a weird concept. But I think you MIGHT like it. Its an original stage idea... But It might fit well. Sadly Im not a spriter so someone might have to do it... and its quite the odd Idea. So I dunno if it can be easy.

D

Deleted member

I'm staying out of this one...
But I am still for simply updating the current Battlefield and Final Destination for the reason that they shouldn't be the same as Brawl's.

mr.game.and.wath14

Smash Rookie
Hey, here I have some errors that occurred when I was playing:
1 to 1 of the players is at -1 and is still alive

2-all players are left with four lives
what step is that ryu wicked use your final smash when arrived half the attack said game!, term heading and showed me wins I

3-Hit the ball and in a flash reaches the platform below (image not edit)

DBlock14

Smash Journeyman
@ NeronZ: Up yours, dude. It was a random modder. You can't just blame the devs of a game if a random person comes along and takes some sprites off google.
completely agree with you there, make sure you know whats going on before you start flaming. (not saying your suppose to flame, but if you feel a need to) What I'm saying is, you need to control your temper and stop hating on the DEVS

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Haayayayayaya What that Hell Happened Here ????

I am not stealing anyone works, i didt made anyone of the sprites what i used on the custom stages i made. I am not even a dev of SSBC, i am a random guy who disliked some stages and used sprites from other person to make it look better.

FIRST: FInal destination. The sprite is in devianart and the guy said that ANYONE can use the sprite (he only wants credits)

Battlefield: Will Bill XP, the same thing, credits = Free to use it

Fighting Polygon team: SSF 2 forum, and i am asking to creator to use it :p

Founatin of Dream: Sugestion only, his creator is Sirbrownie

If someone is guilty here is me, not the devs from SSBC, so dont mess with them, mess with me, idiot.

Multipost edit error, sorry:

http://smithygcn.deviantart.com/art/Final-Destination-Brawl-76329788

That's pretty much all it'll be used for. I don't mind this, of course, but I would rather people give me credit for this simply because it took me a few hours and a lot of planning to create.

mr.game.and.wath14

Smash Rookie
Had been realized that the shadows moses island stage
does not appear in the game but the files if they are in the stage of the game folder
that reason is not

Rugos

Smash Cadet
Haayayayayaya What that Hell Happened Here ????

I am not stealing anyone works, i didt made anyone of the sprites what i used on the custom stages i made. I am not even a dev of SSBC, i am a random guy who disliked some stages and used sprites from other person to make it look better.

FIRST: FInal destination. The sprite is in devianart and the guy said that ANYONE can use the sprite (he only wants credits)

Battlefield: Will Bill XP, the same thing, credits = Free to use it

Fighting Polygon team: SSF 2 forum, and i am asking to creator to use it :p

Founatin of Dream: Sugestion only, his creator is Sirbrownie

If someone is guilty here is me, not the devs from SSBC, so dont mess with them, mess with me, idiot.
See? So, NeronZ... STFU!

Dr.MarioX

Smash Apprentice
Well, I missed a good bit.
Reading the last few posts, I thought Flash 2 and Crusade shook hands and ended this before. These are fan games, so let's just have fun with it. Some people will choose to play one, some will choose to play both. We can't do anything about it. We don't get money, so who cares?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
If think thats a joke its not...
You (dev team) know the deal with Shadow Moses
but the Fountain of dreams is also only for SSF2.

You can only find that Battle field, FoD, SM, and that Hyrule Temple from OUR FORUMS
stop it..
Hush and don't start this again. If you have any issues with any of this, contact me via pm on this site or the McLeod gaming forums.

We never said that we were going to use it, right? I'll explain in a moment.

EDIT 2: I seriously want to see the pages on which those images ARE on your forum. Im dead serious. No proof? Dont say anything.

EDIT 3: And just because someone posted a stage on your forums, Does not mean it was made JUST for SSF2. You can only say it is when THEY say it. Not you.
These are your only two good points; the rest are irrelevant.

Neron, can you show me the exact posts that had these sprites? Proof is always a great thing to have when you're arguing with someone.

Also, we aren't planning to use these yet. We haven't contacted any of the authors, and we do not plan to ever use anything without permission, don't worry.

Besides that, YOU aren't the one who dictates what an artist can and cannot do with his/her sprites.

Edit: Ugh, new page, sorry. Just pm me if you have any more issues.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
is pit going to be in this game?

Im actually curios after I saw that Haayayayayaya in felipes posts..reminded me of his Side-B

also

SSF2 hasnt updated in like years so I kinda dropped them when i started playing this game..you guys have updated like 4 times since I started playing...so good ****..keep up the good work..much love and all of that

-TK

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
is pit going to be in this game?

Im actually curios after I saw that Haayayayayaya in felipes posts..reminded me of his Side-B

also

SSF2 hasnt updated in like years so I kinda dropped them when i started playing this game..you guys have updated like 4 times since I started playing...so good ****..keep up the good work..much love and all of that

-TK
SSF2 Was actually updated a tad of some time ago. >.> I think they just added more stages and training though.

EDIT: Yeah Pits gonna be in. EVERYONE from Brawl is. Except the Ice Climbers. But who cares, Right?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Don't make me have to crawl through this topic again. This got sooooo out of hand. Six warnings in two pages ffs.

Allow me to make a suggestion; this is a Crusade topic right? Talk about Crusade. It's that simple.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
I couldn't agree more, TSON.

And yes, Pit will be in the game at some point. Hopefully, he will be in the game soon, but I first need to see if we can use the sprites we have.

D

Deleted member

I'd always imagined that Pit would be one of the harder ones to sprite, what with his wings and all...

Rugos

Smash Cadet
Well, y'know, there is that sheet of pit that sais "use, but give credit" on it, although APPARENLTY, although the spriters didn't put it on the sheet, its only for ssf2. Now, did ssf2 decide that, or did the spriter(s)?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Well, y'know, there is that sheet of pit that sais "use, but give credit" on it, although APPARENLTY, although the spriters didn't put it on the sheet, its only for ssf2. Now, did ssf2 decide that, or did the spriter(s)?
The spriters did when they posted it on the Mcleodgaming forums and nowhere else. If you can find it on another website posted by the creator or contact them for permission then there is no argument or confrontation that will go down. I don't know how to put it any simpler.

That's all that the devs are saying.

Top Bottom