• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. will not be appearing at EVO 2022

EVO_Smash_RIP.jpg

The official twitter account for EVO has just confirmed that there will be no appearance of Smash at EVO 2022. Although the exact reasoning for this is unknown, the statement notes that Nintendo were the ones to make this decision. You can check out the full statement below:

Formally branded in 2002, EVO is the premier fighting game tournament event for the biggest fighters such as Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, and Tekken. Various different iterations of Smash - including Melee, Brawl, Smash 4, and Ultimate - have made appearances each year at EVO since 2007, often as one of the featured titles for people to compete in. Sony would acquire EVO in early 2021.

Since 2013 there have only been two EVO tournaments where Smash was not one of the featured games: 2020 which had its online event cancelled due to sexual misconduct allegations, and 2021 which was an online exclusive event due to COVID-19. This year's EVO 2022 is going to be the first in-person EVO since 2019, so needless to say there will be a lot of disappointment from this recent news.

Credits:
Writing/Editing: Sari Sari
Social Media: @Zerp
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp

Author's Note: How do you feel about Nintendo pulling Smash out of EVO? Let us know in the comments below!

Sari

Comments

To play devil's advocate for a moment, I'd like to bring up the fact that Nintendo has some sort of deal with the Panda esports team to bring official tournaments for Ultimate and Melee to North America.

I'm not saying this is a good reason to take your game out of EVO, but I'm willing to wager this is Nintendo saying "Hey, we're already doing our own Smash esports event" rather than the usual "haha, screw the fans" garbage. Plus, there's the whole Sony owning EVO thing, and I don't think the Big N's thrilled about that, either.

I admit I'm a little disappointed, but it's no big loss for me.

I'll still go to EVO, but I'll probably just play Tekken or Under Night In Birth....

Honestly, I see this as a good thing. The platform fighting genre is getting big with new titles such as Nick All-Stars, Multiversus and more with some familiar faces like Rivals of Aether and Brawlhalla. As much as I like Smash though it always seemed like the biggest thing holding back the platform fighting genre despite how inspirational it is. Many people rely on Smash as THE platform fighter which I think hurts the genre. A break from Smash as a whole can really help the platform fighting genre be accepted as a genre and not just "Smash clones"

It is quite the shame that ultimate isn't being shown off, I already considered melee a dead pursuit in terms of EVO

Whilst it certainly had been quite a while since the least EVO took place and whilst I am disappointed that Smash will not be making an appearance, I am eager to see what other games will take place.

The official twitter account for EVO has just confirmed that there will be no appearance of Smash at EVO 2022. Although the exact reasoning for this is unknown, the statement notes that Nintendo were the ones to make this decision. You can check out the full statement below:

Formally branded in 2002, EVO is the premier fighting game tournament event for the biggest fighters such as Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, and Tekken. Various different iterations of Smash - including Melee, Brawl, Smash 4, and Ultimate - have made appearances each year at EVO since 2007, often as one of the featured titles for people to compete in. Sony would acquire EVO in early 2021.

Since 2013 there have only been two EVO tournaments where Smash was not one of the featured games: 2020 which had its online event cancelled due to sexual misconduct allegations, and 2021 which was an online exclusive event due to COVID-19. This year's EVO 2022 is going to be the first in-person EVO since 2019, so needless to say there will be a lot of disappointment from this recent news.

Credits:
Writing/Editing: Sari Sari
Social Media: @Zerp
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp

Author's Note: How do you feel about Nintendo pulling Smash out of EVO? Let us know in the comments below!
fuuuuck nintenndoooo~

Top Bottom