• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Ver. 6.1.0 Update on the Way

What do you think will happen in Ver. 6.1.0?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ver_6_1_0.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate currently has a pop-up declaring that the Ver. 6.1.0 update will arrive within a few days.

Ver. 6.0.0 introduced a major glitch which freezes Terry and Nana in place much like the freeze glitch in Super Smash Bros. Melee. The update will render replays from Ver. 6.0.0 and before obsolete, so it’s likely this glitch will be patched out soon.

There’s a chance that the update might not address the glitch, and even if it does get addressed this may not conclude the changes. The three previous updates which changed the middle number (1.1.0, 1.2.0, and 3.1.0) all altered the game’s balance. So, it's reasonable to assume there might be some balance changes in this update.

Author’s Note: Personally I expect to see the freeze glitch removed and some new balance changes in Ver. 6.1.0. What do you expect? Please let us know in the comments below!

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

With how soon this patch is coming out, I moreso think it'll be fixing the freeze glitch and nothing else, but not ruling out the possibility of getting balance changes too. If I had to say, I'd guess some Puff nerfs/readjustments, because apparently Puff can true combo into Rest stupid early now.

Last edited:
Totally expecting Master Chief, Son Goku, Spider-Man, and Shrek in an Earth-shattering announcement reveal. Plus free candy for everyone who prepurchases the Fighter Pass Season 2

D
I mostly expect the fix for Terry’s glitch and not much else.

Wasn’t there some datamined online mode called “convention” in the code? They could add that as well as fix the glitch. Usually purely bug fix patches are numbered X.0.1; it’s X.1.0 if it’s adding a minor new feature

It would be hilarious and irritating at the same time if Terry got nerfed in the first week, but Joker goes unnerfed for almost a year, while recieving a few questionable, while admittedly small, buffs along the way. I highly doubt that's going to happen though.

Last edited:
This is confusing. If we're getting a balance patch, then why did Kirby, Jigglypuff and the others got their changes in 6.0.0 and not in 6.1.0? But if this is just the freeze glitch getting fixed, then I'm pretty certain that it would just be a 6.0.1 update, which it clearly isn't. But if it isn't a balance patch, then it must be a major bug fixing patch, with several bugs being squashed. Or maybe new content of some sort. (Which would still be strange since why didn't they appear in 6.0.0 then?)

My guess is that this version will be much like the 3.1.0 version, with both balance changes and bug fixes. But I don't want to get my hopes up though. (I really want swordies and Palutena and Pikachu to be nerfed.)

This is just so odd. But we'll have to wait and see what it is though.

This is confusing. If we're getting a balance patch, then why did Kirby, Jigglypuff and the others got their changes in 6.0.0 and not in 6.1.0? But if this is just the freeze glitch getting fixed, then I'm pretty certain that it would just be a 6.0.1 update, which it clearly isn't. But if it isn't a balance patch, then it must be a major bug fixing patch, with several bugs being squashed. Or maybe new content of some sort. (Which would still be strange since why didn't they appear in 6.0.0 then?)

My guess is that this version will be much like the 3.1.0 version, with both balance changes and bug fixes. But I don't want to get my hopes up though. (I really want swordies and Palutena and Pikachu to be nerfed.)

I assume that 6.0.0 was going to be a bigger patch than it was, but at some point the devs decided to split the patch just to get Terry OOTD (which would explain stuff like the freeze glitch and G&W's model bug during Triple Wolf, along with the lack of significant game mode changes or additions).

Last edited:

Why nerf swordies? I mean I get the hate for them but the only one thats viable is Lucina (which in my estimate is a perfectly fine character). Roy can be dangerous but you have to put a LOT and I mean a LOT of work into him... all the other swordies are complete garbage (unless you add Shulk in there but I don't know a lot about him). I really don't think they need any changes. Now Joker, Palu, and Pikachu on the other hand............ yeah... smack them down hard... so sick of these characters.

Last edited:
Why nerf swordies? I mean I get the hate for them but the only one thats viable is Lucina (which in my estimate is a perfectly fine character). Roy can be dangerous but you have to put a LOT and I mean a LOT of work into him... all the other swordies are complete garbage (unless you add Shulk in there but I don't know a lot about him). I really don't think they need any changes. Now Joker, Palu, and Pikachu on the other hand............ yeah... smack them down hard... so sick of these characters.
Because simply put, I don't think it's fair that characters with big, massive disjointed range should have even or better framedata than non-disjointed characters. Which many swordies do have, which isn't fair.

Because simply put, I don't think it's fair that characters with big, massive disjointed range should have even or better framedata than non-disjointed characters. Which many swordies do have, which isn't fair.
What interaction are you talking about? The only sword character with really good frame data I can think of is Roy. Lucina has "ok" frame data but is VERY floaty which make her very easy to juggle. Curious as to the frame data you're talking about.

Nerfing Palutena and the swordies?! No! They need to be in this game so Wario and GamingWatch can have their really awful match ups. Those two characters are actual degenerates.

Last edited:
Nerfing Palutena and the swordies?! No! They need to be in this game so Wario and GamingWatch can have their really awful match ups. Those two characters are actual degenerates.
Eh...... I get your hate for Wario and G&W but this shouldn't really be a consideration of whether or not to nerf swordies.

Sword Characters = Fine (i'm not even a sword main)
Palutena = NOT Fine (imho)

Palutena has some of the best combos (brain dead combos by the way) and juggles of the entire cast. VERY annoying character. She doesn't need to be destroyed but things like nair/up-air, explosive flame, and autoreticle should be looked at for some adjustments.

But as far as nerfs go Palutena is on the bottom of my list.

Eh...... I get your hate for Wario and G&W but this shouldn't really be a consideration of whether or not to nerf swordies.

Sword Characters = Fine (i'm not even a sword main)
Palutena = NOT Fine (imho)

Palutena has some of the best combos (brain dead combos by the way) and juggles of the entire cast. VERY annoying character. She doesn't need to be destroyed but things like nair/up-air, explosive flame, and autoreticle should be looked at for some adjustments.

But as far as nerfs go Palutena is on the bottom of my list.
Her kit kills at reasonable percents and isn’t too janky. That’s why it’s so hard to hate her.

Last edited:
Update just dropped. All it does is fix the issue with Terry's move causing freezes

Last edited:
What interaction are you talking about? The only sword character with really good frame data I can think of is Roy. Lucina has "ok" frame data but is VERY floaty which make her very easy to juggle. Curious as to the frame data you're talking about.
Just compare her landing lag framedata and startup/endlag (FAF) to any non-super speedy character and you'll see for yourself. (Her f-smash is frame 10 btw for some stupid reason...)

But I can give one example to why I believe swordies need nerfs. I main Pac-Man, and overall Shulk's landing lag framedata is better than Pac-Man's, despite Shulk having a large, long disjointed sword while Pac-Man doesn't.

Just compare her landing lag framedata and startup/endlag (FAF) to any non-super speedy character and you'll see for yourself. (Her f-smash is frame 10 btw for some stupid reason...)

But I can give one example to why I believe swordies need nerfs. I main Pac-Man, and overall Shulk's landing lag framedata is better than Pac-Man's, despite Shulk having a large, long disjointed sword while Pac-Man doesn't.
And Lucina is top tier... I really don't think that needs to change. We need her up there to stuff out some of the other top tiers (like wario and inkling). As I said Lucina is really the only "good" sword character.

Shulk on the other hand is in a really weird place. He's considered top tier as well but the amount of work one has to invest to be good with him is absurd. I have never played as Shulk so I can't give you specifics on his frame data but I've always considered him quite slow.

Last edited:
So, update 6.1.0 came out, however I've been thinking. Ever since Terry was released (along with ver. 6.0) and seeing that Terry has Super Special Moves (Power Geyser and Buster Wolf), I thought that maybe they should give Ryu and Ken a similar treatment. Sure, Ryu and Ken also have command inputs for some of their specials, as well as the trait of automatically facing an opponent in 1 v 1, and both are also able to cancel normal attacks into special moves (I think; have to check again), but they could also give them super special moves of their own. They could go with one of the following mechanics:

Street Fighter III (3rd Strike)
Ken
-Super Art I (II in 3rd Strike): Shinryuken (Input: Double shoryuken motion + A)
-Super Art II (III in 3rd Strike): Shippu Jinraikyaku (Input: Double hadouken motion + A)

Ryu
-Super Art I: Shinkuu-Hadouken (Input: Double hadouken motion + A)
-Super Art II: Shin Shoryuken (Input: Double shoryuken motion + A)

Street Fighter IV (Ultra Arcade Edition)
Ken
-Ultra Combo (1): Shinryuken (Input: Double shoryuken motion + A)
-Ultra Combo (2): Guren Senpukyaku (Input: Double hadouken motion + A)

Ryu
-Ultra Combo (1): Metsu Hadoken (Input: Double hadouken motion + A)
-Ultra Combo (2): Metsu Shoryuken (Input: Double shoryuken motion + A)

In both cases, Ryu and Ken would require the implementation of a super meter that when full, they can execute one of either of their super special moves (Super Art, or Ultra Combo). Once one of these moves is used though, their super meter will empty (like in the games). This would at least put them on par to Terry imo.

So, update 6.1.0 came out, however I've been thinking. Ever since Terry was released (along with ver. 6.0) and seeing that Terry has Super Special Moves (Power Geyser and Buster Wolf), I thought that maybe they should give Ryu and Ken a similar treatment. Sure, Ryu and Ken also have command inputs for some of their specials, as well as the trait of automatically facing an opponent in 1 v 1, and both are also able to cancel normal attacks into special moves (I think; have to check again), but they could also give them super special moves of their own.
Double Shoryuken motions would be extremely awkward in Smash. The single motion is already a tad awkward using the stick compared to doing the same motion in SF. I think restricting SF characters to a single super move would be best, as it's traditionally been what they've done, where KOF tends to always give access to multiple.

That's the last thing I want............ make Ryu and Ken more dangerous!!!

LOL!!

Those two scare the crap out of me fighting them. If you play someone good Ryu and Ken have INSANE combos and kill confirms.

And honestly, I'd rather Terry NOT have the specials... they're crazy good.

It's probably something small that most fans won't care about like including Goku. I doubt that they would do something as controversial as balance patches this soon.

Top Bottom