• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Ver. 5.0.0 Released

Patch_Five_Ultimate.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s Ver. 5.0.0 patch released today, and Banjo & Kazooie have just joined the fight! They aren’t the only new things to check out in this patch either, there’s a ton of content that was added. Here's everything else that Ver. 5.0.0 includes:

Author’s Note: Personally, I really love the fact that Sans is actually in Smash, even if it is just a Mii Costume. Anyway, are you excited to play with any of the new content? Let us know in the comments below!

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

I'm actually surprised about the general lack of balance changes. Not that it's good or bad, just...surprised. I thought for sure Hero would get gutted or otherwise retooled a little due to the exorbitant amount of salt but I suppose Sakurai and team just don't care or were busy enough with the other goodies to really do much else about it.

Gives more time for the meta to shift or, hopefully not, remain the way it is. Would love some blow outs. Banjo entering the fray should make things interesting.

I'm actually surprised about the general lack of balance changes. Not that it's good or bad, just...surprised. I thought for sure Hero would get gutted or otherwise retooled a little due to the exorbitant amount of salt but I suppose Sakurai and team just don't care or were busy enough with the other goodies to really do much else about it.

Gives more time for the meta to shift or, hopefully not, remain the way it is. Would love some blow outs. Banjo entering the fray should make things interesting.
Considering that 4.0.0 was released not too long ago, I can see the devs being adamant of big balance changes right now. Terry comes out in 2 months, so that should be enough time for the devs to release a bigger balance patch, unless they release one in-between that time period.

At least they fixed the biggest issue of the buffer system, which I am glad about.

Considering that 4.0.0 was released not too long ago, I can see the devs being adamant of big balance changes right now. Terry comes out in 2 months, so that should be enough time for the devs to release a bigger balance patch, unless they release one in-between that time period.

At least they fixed the biggest issue of the buffer system, which I am glad about.
I hope they finally fix the bury mechanic because it just doesn’t work at all. Even Inkling’s roller doesn’t work at high percents (including 130%) and it’s the hardest bury move to hit with. Why does the bury mechanic even exist when it’s way too dysfunctional to the point that Snake’s down-throw is actually the bury mechanic except functional?

Weirdly, I think Hero needs buffs to his up-b because it has to be better when it drains on his magic meter, is extremely slow despite the lack of protective hit boxes, and has too much landing endlag that allow misreading opponents to punish him. Hero can also use some buffs on his air speed so his laggy aerials aren’t too bad and he can camp easier.

Salt generated from Hero is a feature, not a bug. It's working as intended.

Working as intended doesn’t mean it’s good. The bury mechanic is intended as useless trash but it’s still trash.
Don't know which game you have been playing but the bury mechanic is anything but trash.

Characters like ZSS, DK, K. Rool, Villager and ROB can heavily capitalize from burying an opponent at high percentages.

Don't know which game you have been playing but the bury mechanic is anything but trash.

Characters like ZSS, DK, K. Rool, Villager and ROB can heavily capitalize from burying an opponent at high percentages.
ZSS and Gaming Watch were the only characters that didn’t suffer from the **** design because their data was fast enough to work. Inkling’s somehow isn’t effective as opponents can unbury themselves at high as **** percentages despite how bad roller is as a move. They should make the easy buries as effective as Snake’s down-throw.

ZSS and Gaming Watch were the only characters that didn’t suffer from the **** design because their data was fast enough to work. Inkling’s somehow isn’t effective as opponents can unbury themselves at high as **** percentages despite how bad roller is as a move. They should make the easy buries as effective as Snake’s down-throw.
DK, K. Rool, Villager and ROB can also take proper advantage of a buried opponent for follow ups and kill confirms, so for the most part the mechanic works as intended. I can't speak for Inkling that much, but I'm pretty sure I've seen tournament players taking advantage of buried players.

I don't exactly see how burying moves are badly designed, when you can't even seem to point out the issue with them.

DK, K. Rool, Villager and ROB can also take proper advantage of a buried opponent for follow ups and kill confirms, so for the most part the mechanic works as intended. I can't speak for Inkling that much, but I'm pretty sure I've seen tournament players taking advantage of buried players.

I don't exactly see how burying moves are badly designed, when you can't even seem to point out the issue with them.
Mashing out from a roller before an up-smash at 130% shouldn’t be a thing when the move like that was supposed to be a high-risk and high-reward move while being highly situational.

Mashing out from a roller before an up-smash at 130% shouldn’t be a thing when the move like that was supposed to be a high-risk and high-reward move while being highly situational.
Not on a consistent basis. Inkling still gets a decent window to punish out of a bury with a Smash attack at high percentages or even a mix up with their aerials at mid percents.

Not on a consistent basis. Inkling still gets a decent window to punish out of a bury with a Smash attack at high percentages or even a mix up with their aerials at mid percents.
I’m going to say it again. The move only works against amateurish mashers and is goddamn hard to land. Doing it for a messily 30% isn’t worth anything for a character whose problem is killing in a game where rage is a thing.

I’m going to say it again. The move only works against amateurish mashers and is goddamn hard to land. Doing it for a messily 30% isn’t worth anything for a character whose problem is killing in a game where rage is a thing.
As will I. Move still heavily punishes someone who manages to get buried at high percentages. Not every player is the same, and not everyone can mash that fast to escape from it.

You also fail to elaborate on the design behind burying mechanics despite previous examples pointing out its utility on other fighters. It just seems to have devolved into a fixation for Inkling specifically.

As will I. Move still heavily punishes someone who manages to get buried at high percentages. Not every player is the same, and not everyone can mash that fast to escape from it.

You also fail to elaborate on the design behind burying mechanics despite previous examples pointing out its utility on other fighters. It just seems to have devolved into a fixation for Inkling specifically.
“Not every player is the same”. While true, it still means that in higher levels, it’s overcome pretty easily.

Bury moves are supposed to restrain an opponent for a certain amount of time for a punish (depending on percent) and the riskiest/hardest hitting ones are supposed to receive the most amount of potential rewards. Some fighters like Rob have an easy bury tool that reads when the fighter comes out to get a kill while others like ZeroSuitSamus and Inkling are supposed to be using their difficult-to-land bury tools to get a heavy punish on the opponent. Inkling’s up-smash is supposed combo into early kills because of this utilization of the mechanic. However, due to complaints, the unique usage of the mechanic was significantly nerfed to be way less efficient at its job.

so we got Ken's twin brother..i admit i am kinda disappointed..i expected someone more..exciting..i don't want a Ken lookalike at least the FE characters don't look the same.
but hey there is gonna be a second DLC pack sooo i still have hopes for my favorites!

Last edited:
Looking forward to see who the 5th DLC fighter will be...and I expect some more 3rd parties on the next set too

I'm not too happy about this new update, not a lot of new things were added, which bummed me out a bit. Overall though, Banjo, Terry, and Sans are all exciting new additions, which make this a good update. Home Run contest is so fun too, I got a solid 625 km with Shulk. Hopefully we get more updates frequently like with Hero (End of July) and Banjo (Beginning of September),

(Literally they were released like a month apart)

I'm not too happy about this new update, not a lot of new things were added, which bummed me out a bit. Overall though, Banjo, Terry, and Sans are all exciting new additions, which make this a good update. Home Run contest is so fun too, I got a solid 625 km with Shulk. Hopefully we get more updates frequently like with Hero (End of July) and Banjo (Beginning of September),

(Literally they were released like a month apart)
I know home run contest is the ‘last mode’, but can we have a mode where we can select bosses from varied difficulties? I know world of light technically has that but it’s not fun being forced to fight slogs of enemies or bosses at the same time.

so we got Ken's twin brother..i admit i am kinda disappointed..i expected someone more..exciting..i don't want a Ken lookalike at least the FE characters don't look the same.
but hey there is gonna be a second DLC pack sooo i still have hopes for my favorites!
Terry is apparently different from Ken. We don't know much about Fatal Fury, but apparently the point is that the characters have more human motivations and ideologies, and that the games are more story-based than most fighting games. That being said, they do look similar, but their movesets are very different.

I love the 'Terry is Ken but with a hat' sort of nonsense. The characters are nothing alike. The only visual similarity they share is hair color and Terry wears SOME red with his jacket. That is where the similarities end. Personality, move sets and mechanics and general aesthetics are completely different. Just because they both come from fighting game franchises doesn't mean they're the same.

Just comes off as salty and/or bitter over nothing other than getting hopes up due to months of echo chamber theorizing/praying and you didn't get what you wanted, like characters selected for the pass weren't already decided ages (Likely before the game was even released).

While it may come off as rude, so many of the character requests I've seen are just so beyond desperate/unlikely that it comes off as a shock to me that those supporters are shocked their incredibly niche or unlikely character didn't make the cut when there's far more characters that are more notable/recognizable/marketable/etc. It's fine to wish list and cross fingers but don't get mad when you put your chips down on the bad bet. I just despise the dismissive nature people have when something doesn't go their way in video games or their attempt to downplay a characters inclusion without knowing anything about the character or the history of them, etc. Sort of defeats what Smash stands for.

Last edited:
I love the 'Terry is Ken but with a hat' sort of nonsense. The characters are nothing alike. The only visual similarity they share is hair color and Terry wears SOME red with his jacket. That is where the similarities end. Personality, move sets and mechanics and general aesthetics are completely different. Just because they both come from fighting game franchises doesn't mean they're the same.

Just comes off as salty and/or bitter over nothing other than getting hopes up due to months of echo chamber theorizing/praying and you didn't get what you wanted, like characters selected for the pass weren't already decided ages (Likely before the game was even released).

While it may come off as rude, so many of the character requests I've seen are just so beyond desperate/unlikely that it comes off as a shock to me that those supporters are shocked their incredibly niche or unlikely character didn't make the cut when there's far more characters that are more notable/recognizable/marketable/etc. It's fine to wish list and cross fingers but don't get mad when you put your chips down on the bad bet. I just despise the dismissive nature people have when something doesn't go their way in video games or their attempt to downplay a characters inclusion without knowing anything about the character or the history of them, etc. Sort of defeats what Smash stands for.
I haven’t even played a single ‘street fighter’ or ‘snk’ game and even I can tell the massive differences between them.

I haven’t even played a single ‘street fighter’ or ‘snk’ game and even I can tell the massive differences between them.
Pretty much. Though I know a lot of those types of comments are just hand-wavers who wanna complain and that's the best they can come up with. Which is silly.

so you are assuming how me and some other people think because we aren't positive about Terry?
but still to me Terry doesn't have that ''WOW!'' factor that Joker,Banjoo and Hero had
i am not a Banjoo fan but even i know he has the ''WOW'' factor because so many people wanted him,
compared to the DLC characters we gotten i really find Terry boring and a huge disappointment compared to the other 3

i won't lie i would love to have my fave characters get in smash and there is hope for that in the 2nd pack but that doesn't have to do with why i am negative about Terry.
and to me he looks like another Ken lookalike but that's how i think of it.

so you are assuming how me and some other people think because we aren't positive about Terry?
but still to me Terry doesn't have that ''WOW!'' factor that Joker,Banjoo and Hero had
i am not a Banjoo fan but even i know he has the ''WOW'' factor because so many people wanted him,
compared to the DLC characters we gotten i really find Terry boring and a huge disappointment compared to the other 3

i won't lie i would love to have my fave characters get in smash and there is hope for that in the 2nd pack but that doesn't have to do with why i am negative about Terry.
You ironically proven his point.

You ironically proven his point.
not really..cause if you actually bothered to read the whole thing then you would know that is not my reason why i am negative.
just accept the fact not everyone is gonna be having a positive opinion about Terry.

Last edited:
not really..cause if you actually bothered to read the whole thing then you would know that is not my reason why i am negative.
just accept the fact not everyone is gonna be having a positive opinion about Terry.
I responded because I read your whole comment and saw this this garbage.
Seriously, how in the **** does he even resemble Ken in the slightest aside from hair color? Even their body types are different.

Top Bottom