• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Ver 3.1.0 Update Coming Soon

Smash_Ultimate_Patch_310.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s Ver 3.1.0 update was announced on May 27th, 2019 by Nintendo’s eSports Twitter, Nintendo Versus.

The Ver 3.1.0 update was confirmed to have balance changes for the fighters and is slated to come out some time this week. The balance changes will make replays from Ver 3.0.0 incompatible with Ver 3.1.0, so if you want to keep your replays it’s recommended to convert them to videos as soon as possible.

This is the third update for Smash Ultimate that changes the second number in the version name. The previous two updates that changed the second number were also balance patches while none of the ones that changed the third number altered the balance. This likely means that updates which look like "Ver 0.X.0" will be balance updates and ones like "Ver 0.0.X" are not balance updates.

Author's Note: Are you excited for the new patch? Any balance changes you're wishing for or hoping won't happen? Let us know in the comments below!

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

Ideally, they'd mostly buff weaker characters instead of nerfing stronger ones. Here's hoping they fix anything that's borderline busted, though (without creating new jank in the process).

With that being said, let the low-tier prayer circles commence. I'll start: Dear Sakurai, fix Levin sword's start-up time thing at the beginning of a match; it's pointless. That is all. Amen.

Also... it seemed like Nintendo learned their lesson, but I hope the new patch leaves some kind of leak in the files. I know E3 is nigh, but I need some kind of info.

Perhaps do something about Dr. Mario's mobility. I know that he acts as if he's equipped with +22 attack and -65 speed, but does he really need to be that sluggish?

Maybe more like -28 speed would be better, and it would improve Dr. Mario's poor recovery along the way.

Perhaps do something about Dr. Mario's mobility. I know that he acts as if he's equipped with +22 attack and -65 speed, but does he really need to be that sluggish?

Maybe more like -28 speed would be better, and it would improve Dr. Mario's poor recovery along the way.
I would rather a speed buff from 1.5375712 to 1.55 and make his up special go higher

I would rather a speed buff from 1.5375712 to 1.55 and make his up special go higher
I guess on my end, Dr. Mario's mobility threshold should be as follows...
  • Walk Speed: 1.05
  • Run Speed: 1.6
  • Air Speed: 1.08
  • Base Air Acceleration: 0.009
  • Additional Air Acceleration: 0.063
The only way to come close to those values (while staying below them) is if Dr. Mario copies Mario's attributes, but acts as if he's equipped with -28 speed; -27 would go above the threshold values (except for the air acceleration attributes) that I've stated above.

Basically, Dr. Mario has to at least be a faster runner than Bowser Jr., but he can't run faster than Ryu.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what they did exactly to Wolf’s shine? I want to know how much faster it is

Well, I'm thoroughly convinced they don't know what they're doing with these changes for the most part. While the nerfs were alright, all they should be focusing on are the underpowered losers atm.

Looks like we're gonna need to work on a Project MU.

"Let's make things easier for very powerful characters first. They really need the buffs!" isn't a top notch balancing plan lmao.

Well, I'm thoroughly convinced they don't know what they're doing with these changes for the most part. While the nerfs were alright, all they should be focusing on are the underpowered losers atm.

Looks like we're gonna need to work on a Project MU.

"Let's make things easier for very powerful characters first. They really need the buffs!" isn't a top notch balancing plan lmao.
Let me guess; "they didn't a buff your favorite character the exact way you wanted = they don't know what they are doing"?

Balance adjustments aren't decided overnight, but gradually during a game's lifespan. Based on the notes for the current patch, there were several quality changes that pretty much nobody will argue that they are unwelcome: https://nintendoeverything.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-update-out-now-version-3-1-0-patch-notes/ , and those include some nerfs to strong characters and buffs to weaker ones, which I assume you skipped over. That hardly seems like an aimless decision from the balancing team.

And this isn't even the last balance patch to come, yet somehow you know the final outcome already and cry foul about the game's future. Funny how it's the people who don't know **** who are the first ones to make a preliminary conclusion.

Last edited:
Let me guess; "they didn't a buff your favorite character the exact way you wanted = they don't know what they are doing"?

Balance adjustments aren't decided overnight, but gradually during a game's lifespan. Based on the notes for the current patch, there were several quality changes that pretty much nobody will argue that they are unwelcome: https://nintendoeverything.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-update-out-now-version-3-1-0-patch-notes/ , and those include some nerfs to strong characters and buffs to weaker ones, which I assume you skipped over. That hardly seems like an aimless decision from the balancing team.

And this isn't even the last balance patch to come, yet somehow you know the final outcome already and cry foul about the game's future. Funny how it's the people who don't know **** who are the first ones to make a preliminary conclusion.
Robin. KRool. Incineroar. WFT. DDD. Kirby. Duck Hunt. Plantboi. etc

There are characters who are pretty garbage or are just meh - it's been a few patches and they're still garbage and/or meh.

However the nerfs were needed and they did a good job with those. But again. It's been a few patches. And it's less about nerfing super powerful characters (and buffing some others oopsT) and more about just buffing the garbage tier characters. Some of the balance changes that need to happen are super obvious and yet they still haven't happened. So either that are wholely incompetnent at balancing (Nintendy hasn't been very good with balancing or anything related to "player vs player" whether it be online play or just balancing) ooooooooooor they have different set teams that focus on different sections - meaning they take a hella long time to hit the right mark.

There are characters who are pretty garbage or are just meh - it's been a few patches and they're still garbage and/or meh.

Surprised you didn't mention our gorl here.
Or is she that bad now :p ?

(Pls buff dTilt launch angle)

However the nerfs were needed and they did a good job with those. But again. It's been a few patches. And it's less about nerfing super powerful characters (and buffing some others oopsT) and more about just buffing the garbage tier characters. Some of the balance changes that need to happen are super obvious and yet they still haven't happened. So either that are wholely incompetnent at balancing (Nintendy hasn't been very good with balancing or anything related to "player vs player" whether it be online play or just balancing) ooooooooooor they have different set teams that focus on different sections - meaning they take a hella long time to hit the right mark.
Ah, glad you took the trouble to list some of the characters you believe need a buff... while also ignoring the ones who received them this time.

Baby steps. Balancing is a slow process and each character is not going to be changed at once; you seriously shouldn't be expecting every buff you wish for to happen overnight in one single patch. Again, this is only the third balance patch. Crying afoul about the future of the meta now is dumb, because there are still more changes to come. This makes you come off as impatient and needy for the developers to give you that instant gratification kool aid.

And the changes you speak of aren't necessarily "super obvious", you just merely have a different set of priorities. The quality of life changes in this patch such as the fix for jabs and multi moves so they function more properly, alongside the increased range and reduced lag on some fighters seem like more obvious changes to me.
I would also debate what you find "super obvious". You mentioned DDD as if he was in need of a dire buff, when he isn't. I use him a lot, and the character isn't garbage by any means. And do you even know what you are talking about? I've never seen you before in the Dedede boards discussing his playstyle and any meaningful changes for him, so I doubt your knowledge about the character or in general.

You spoke earlier about this patch making it easier for powerful characters... in what way may I ask? Do you mean the jab fixes to Wolf, Peach, Fox and Snake? Do you mean having Joker and ZSS's side special connect more properly? How is making those moves work as intended a significant buff? Did you... did you actually read the patch notes?
I guess it wasn't inaccurate to think that you were clueless after all. You accuse the team of being incompetent at balancing when you seem sadly misinformed about the changes in the current patch and misguided about your balancing philosophies (if you think that fixing multi hitting moves wasn't a priority, then I don't know what to tell you). Should have done your homework right, buddy.

Ah, glad you took the trouble to list some of the characters you believe need a buff... while also ignoring the ones who received them this time.

Baby steps.
Baby steps. Yes. But preferably in a way where it's a tiny buff to every character who needs one. Not "Hm, let's give this one 8 buffs, and this one 1 buff, and this one no buffs. :^)"

Also it's strange that in a fix that's primarily multi-hit and hitbox fixes that Zelda's Nair remains untouched. So clearly they're not rolling out patches in a fully focused way. It's like the have ADHD and are just bouncing around. Which ofc is a bad way to balance characters when there's 70+ of them and some get 5+ buffs and others get none.

Surprised you didn't mention our gorl here.
Or is she that bad now :p ?

(Pls buff dTilt launch angle)
Zelda is awful, but not as bad as other low tiers. Zelda has the issue of having polarized MUs and frame data/attacks that just don't make sense. But on the plus side at least she has a lot of tools - even if using them are risky - they're still there. There are some characters with less risk but no tools/any good tools. She's also good in 2v2 as long as friendly fire is off too, so there's that.

She's garbage, but she's Kween of the Garbage because every other garbage character is lesser than her. :secretkpop:

Baby steps. Yes. But preferably in a way where it's a tiny buff to every character who needs one. Not "Hm, let's give this one 8 buffs, and this one 1 buff, and this one no buffs. :^)"

Also it's strange that in a fix that's primarily multi-hit and hitbox fixes that Zelda's Nair remains untouched. So clearly they're not rolling out patches in a fully focused way. It's like the have ADHD and are just bouncing around. Which ofc is a bad way to balance characters when there's 70+ of them and some get 5+ buffs and others get none.
I suppose reading comprehension is not strong among users like you. Balancing is a gradual and slow process, and not every single patch is going to deliver every desirable change for a character at once. You also failed pretty hard in addressing the rest of my points.

Top Bottom