• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Stage Creation Contest (Complete)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Pandora’s Labyrinth of Deceit

(Kid Icarus Uprising)

Chapter 5 of the excellent Kid Icarus: Uprising takes Pit to the villainous Pandora’s Labyrinth, where not everything is as it seems. This is also the chapter in the game where Dark Pit (Pittoo) is created when Pit tries to destroy Pandora’s mirror but accidentally splits himself into two people.

My stage is trying to encompass the general feeling of this chapter- I believe there was a stage made in the previous contest based on this chapter, but I don’t recall the details of it, so forgive me if anything is duplicated (Pun not intended for once).

The stage looks like this, more or less, by default. Two main, non-passable platforms in the center of the stage, with four smaller, passable ones near each corner.

The blue platforms are normal- But why’s that one purple?

Oh! So the purple platform is just a jape! Don’t try to jump on that one because you will just fall straight through it. Any of the platforms near the corners can be the one that starts out purple when the stage is loaded, and all of the characters are default set on the main two.

That said… Pandora herself is a fan of mischief.

Hey, there she is!​

And she changed the currently fake platform! This can be any of them, including one of the main two so be on the lookout! That said, if she does pick one of the two primary platforms, it will be temporary before it reverts to the previously purple platform, the main platforms will only stay purple for five seconds. She gives a solid 8 seconds of warning and stares directly at which one will be changing before the platform will turn purple so watch out! Pandora shows up after 30 seconds of playtime.

That said, she may not show up to change a platform.

https://imgur.com/NjjS2Uw

What’s that… a mirror? Young Link, go test it out for me…​

Woah!​

A darker version of Young Link appeared out of the mirror! Young Link rebounded back to where he jumped from and the Darker version of him jumps to the nearest safety.​

In addition to the clone having a palette swap, they will also glow with the color of the player’s player number, so it won’t get confusing with dittos.​

https://imgur.com/0dYygTz

The dark clone will attack others for you on your side for fifteen seconds before disappearing. Think of it as a stage-specific assist trophy that uses moves (No final smashes) of playable characters. Once the mirror is used, it vanishes until potentially the next time Pandora shows up again.​

Pandora can also disappear and not do anything at all if she is dealt 15% damage, though she'll return on schedule.

And that’s it! My Hewdraw stage might have collected more points than this one, but it was so perfect for the Boss round, I had to submit it there.

(And yes, if Dark Pit uses the mirror, his clone looks like regular Pit).

Music:​

Pandora’s Labyrinth of Deceit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um6_AlEkpIY

I hate it when Smashboards' image stuff doesn't work​

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just a reminder. When the Round 41 poll goes up, it will be the last poll. Fire Emblem 2 and Star Fox 2 will be the only options left and whichever of the two doesn't win will become the semi-final round. Remember, that means that there will be one last round after that. The Anything Goes 2 round where any non-licensed game that has a character that has been on a Nintendo System is eligible.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Just a reminder. When the Round 41 poll goes up, it will be the last poll. Fire Emblem 2 and Star Fox 2 will be the only options left and whichever of the two doesn't win will become the semi-final round. Remember, that means that there will be one last round after that. The Anything Goes 2 round where any non-licensed game that has a character that has been on a Nintendo System is eligible.
We are getting so close to release, MAN. Hitman 2 and Pokemon this week better hold me over until then lol

GolisoPower

Smash Master

(Hey, if Chrom can be fighting Robin and the latter still has the former in his Final Smash, Hades can damn well fight inside himself!)

Stage Name:
Hades' Belly

Origin:
Kid Icarus: Uprising

Gimmicks and Hazards:
Cells of Hades

Description:
Have you ever wondered what was on the inside of a god? Well, lucky for you, i'm a theobiologist! Totally didn't make that one up, but anyways: This is Hades' Belly, the stage you play through after Pit's failed attempt to use the Three Sacred Treasures against Hades. The platform layout is a simple one, but it makes up for it with an interesting gimmick: the red and green cells that are scattered across the map. The red cells will disappear after taking 35% damage for 5 seconds, making for an interesting form of cover. The green cells here also retract downwards when taking 35% damage as well, acting as a sort of elevator. These green cells will retract over 2 seconds, stay retracted for another 3, then lift back up over another 2. It is not until it retains its original position that this cell can take damage. This green cell can be very handy in going from one higher-up platform to another while at the same time not taking flight, benefiting those who favor the ground like Little Mac or powering up moves that are stronger when done on the ground like Cloud's Blade Beam. While the red cells have collision with other things, the green one doesn't, despite it being a platform. This stage wouldn't be the first time you fought inside a monster in Smash Bros, but will it be the last? That's up to you judges. Does this prove how good I am as a theobiologist, or am I a certified quack?

Unlockable:
No.

Music:
Hades' Belly (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Dark Lord Gaol's Castle (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Medusa's Final Battle (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
The Ring of Chaos (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Scorched Feathers (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Lord of the Underworld (Kid Icarus: Uprising)

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Question about the Anything Goes 2 Round:

Let’s say I made a stage based on BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle which has Ruby Rose as a cameo. Would I be disqualified for using RWBY content, which did not originate from a video game, or would I still be in the round since it’s still ultimately a BlazBlue game? If you say “Yes, you would be disqualified”, then not to worry, I have a few alternatives in mind.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Question about the Anything Goes 2 Round:

Let’s say I made a stage based on BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle which has Ruby Rose as a cameo. Would I be disqualified for using RWBY content, which did not originate from a video game, or would I still be in the round since it’s still ultimately a BlazBlue game? If you say “Yes, you would be disqualified”, then not to worry, I have a few alternatives in mind.
RWBY content would have to be excluded. All the other series in Cross Tag are fine. But RWBY is not of video game origin. So it can't be included.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
After the contest is done we should have people submit their stages regardless of origin. Obvi no grades or anything but if you have a cool idea it might be worth showing off

D

Deleted member

After the contest is done we should have people submit their stages regardless of origin. Obvi no grades or anything but if you have a cool idea it might be worth showing off
I don't know about that. A few submissions done for fun after the end might be cool for a little bit. But I feel like if it goes for too long this thread will overstay it's welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't know about that. A few submissions done for fun after the end might be cool for a little bit. But I feel like if it goes for too long this thread will overstay it's welcome.
See now you're making me want to make like a Veronica Mars stage or something lol

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Aurum Island

In the middle of the destructive war between Hades and Viridi, mysterious creatures from space suddenly appear and begin harvesting the earth. Stated by Palutena to have come by "Hades and Viridi's wanton destruction", all sides of the conflict come to a temporary truce to try and ward these alien invaders away from the earth. Pit soon meets up with Pyrrhon, the self-proclaimed sun god, who assists with his fire powers and intense manliness. Landing on the island, Pit journeys to the core, battling his way through various odd and faceless troops to destroy the Aurum Island's core, thus opening a way into the Aurum Hive.

Upon first inspection, this stage may look identical to Final Destination, with the weird block formations in the background and the like. However, it soon becomes apparent why this stage is so simplistic in its design: the incoming Aurum troops! Various Aurum enemies appear one at a time from either the background or the left or right of the screen, much like the falling tiles in Umbra Clock Tower. They appear spaced out about 20-30 seconds spawning in from each other, and only one of each of the species may be on-screen at a time (the demonstration photo above is just showing visualizations for each):

-Kolma: the sphere-shaped enemy to the left, which K. Rool is currently on. It drifts along at a moderate pace, spinning on its axis either to the left or the right, creating a conveyor belt-like effect. It is a solid object, so try not to throw fighters into it lest they tech onto it and be fine.
-Plixo: the arrangement of thin platforms, which Young Link is on in the above shot. They will materialize in, form different platform patterns, and then warp around and create a new one. They are pass-through, but mostly act like a cluster of platforms. After a few warps around, they will stop and disappear.
-Dohz: the saucer-like enemy to the right, which Mr. Game & Watch is standing on. It slowly floats across the stage to the left or the right, waving up and down, being much like the UFO on Fourside. Its dipped base is a wall fighters can be bounced upon. Its path begins and ends at each of the blast zones.

Sometimes, Pyrrhon will blast fire at the Aurum trooper out, and end the cycle slightly early. The fire he shoots does not affect fighters, thankfully. In the background, Aurum troops will be buzzing around, and the Aurum islands themselves will be shooting beams at the ground, harvesting chunks of the earth. When Pyrrhon isn't flaunting around and defeating troops in the foreground, he'll be flying in the back and chasing down more of them.

MUSIC:
Aurum Island (Remix)
Mysterious Invaders (Remix)
Reaper Fortress (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Underworld Gatekeeper (Remix)
At the Sanctum (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Dog's Theme (Remix)
Chaos Vortex (Remix)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Aurum Island

In the middle of the destructive war between Hades and Viridi, mysterious creatures from space suddenly appear and begin harvesting the earth. Stated by Palutena to have come by "Hades and Viridi's wanton destruction", all sides of the conflict come to a temporary truce to try and ward these alien invaders away from the earth. Pit soon meets up with Pyrrhon, the self-proclaimed sun god, who assists with his fire powers and intense manliness. Landing on the island, Pit journeys to the core, battling his way through various odd and faceless troops to destroy the Aurum Island's core, thus opening a way into the Aurum Hive.

Upon first inspection, this stage may look identical to Final Destination, with the weird block formations in the background and the like. However, it soon becomes apparent why this stage is so simplistic in its design: the incoming Aurum troops! Various Aurum enemies appear one at a time from either the background or the left or right of the screen, much like the falling tiles in Umbra Clock Tower. They appear spaced out about 20-30 seconds spawning in from each other, and only one of each of the species may be on-screen at a time (the demonstration photo above is just showing visualizations for each):

-Kolma: the sphere-shaped enemy to the left, which K. Rool is currently on. It drifts along at a moderate pace, spinning on its axis either to the left or the right, creating a conveyor belt-like effect. It is a solid object, so try not to throw fighters into it lest they tech onto it and be fine.
-Plixo: the arrangement of thin platforms, which Young Link is on in the above shot. They will materialize in, form different platform patterns, and then warp around and create a new one. They are pass-through, but mostly act like a cluster of platforms. After a few warps around, they will stop and disappear.
-Dohz: the saucer-like enemy to the right, which Mr. Game & Watch is standing on. It slowly floats across the stage to the left or the right, waving up and down, being much like the UFO on Fourside. Its dipped base is a wall fighters can be bounced upon. Its path begins and ends at each of the blast zones.

Sometimes, Pyrrhon will blast fire at the Aurum trooper out, and end the cycle slightly early. The fire he shoots does not affect fighters, thankfully. In the background, Aurum troops will be buzzing around, and the Aurum islands themselves will be shooting beams at the ground, harvesting chunks of the earth. When Pyrrhon isn't flaunting around and defeating troops in the foreground, he'll be flying in the back and chasing down more of them.

MUSIC:
Aurum Island (Remix)
Mysterious Invaders (Remix)
Reaper Fortress (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Underworld Gatekeeper (Remix)
At the Sanctum (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Dog's Theme (Remix)
Chaos Vortex (Remix)
Anything that gets Pyrrhon in this game is a correct decision

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Reaper Fortress
(From Kid Icarus: Uprising)
The Reaper Fortress is the main location from Chapter 4 of Kid Icarus: Uprising, in which Pit is tasked with flying through a treacherous canyon in in order to find the home of the Reapers, all the while fighting off the hordes of Medusa.

This is meant to be a traveling stage, with this ravine serving as the starting locale. Fighters will brawl between two rock faces; there is a large solid ground that makes up the primary platform and the two pass-through cliffs as well. These boundaries can be found in the spoiler below.

Red represents solid ground.
Green represents pass-through platforms.

After some time passes, a Reaper will land on one of the cliff and fire an eye-beam at a random player before quickly taking off again. The eye-beam is very fast and deals ~15% damage.

Alright, so the next area requires a little bit of imagination on your part. Ready? Immediately after the Reaper disappears, the above platform formation will ascend from the bottom of the ravine section, carrying the fighters upwards. The floating platform will speed through the rest of the canyon at ludicrous speed as rock formations zip by. Similar to Lylat Cruise, a full-scale battle is taking place between Palutena's army and a bunch of Reapers (which makes for a cool background set-piece).

Next, the platform will pull out of the ravine and make it's way to The Reaper Fortress itself (as pictured above). It will fly through an entrance, spin through some corridors and eventually drop players into the final area.

This final area is home to the Great Reaper, who will battle Pit in the background as the fighters continue to duke it out in the foreground. The platform layout is fairly straightforward, with two slanted rock pieces forming solid ground, with the two floating rocks being pass-through platforms. The two small grey stair sections are pass-through as well, but they also crumble away if a player stands on them for too long. If confused, see the below spoiler.

Red represents solid ground.
Green represents pass-through platforms.
Blue represents pass-through, but crumbling platforms.

The cycle will repeat a la Castle Siege, with the floating marble platforms returning to pick up the fighters and deposit them back into the canyon yet again. Depending on how long the battle is, fighters can make their way through the entire cycle multiple times in one battle.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Any update on the Metroid round grades yet? I’m excited to know who won the round!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well that sadly didn't work out the way I planned it. Here's hoping for grades to be posted tomorrow. I'll definitely get them out as soon as possible though. I can tell you that.

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 39 Grades!

psb123's grades:

Wrecked Ship by Kevandre Kevandre

Iconic Status: 5/5

Being the icon that Super Metroid is, I think it would kind of be hard not to have an iconic area from that game. Maridia might be debatable but all in all it's hard not to give a 5.

Originality: 7/10

I don't have a problem with basic stages. But this one seems a little too basic in some aspects. Most of the really neat basic stages we've been getting lately have had cool setting or astounding faithfulness to the source material. Sorry man, but this one feels a little lacking in both of those categories.

Playability: 6/10

Phantoon's pretty manageable. But the sealing of the top blast zone hinders your stage a bit too much. Honestly the least risky blast zone to seal off is the bottom one since outside of competitive play, it's the least pivotal. The other two are far more necessary and sealing them off hurts playability more.

Overall Score: 18/25

Space Pirate Mothership by GolisoPower GolisoPower

The Space Pirates are a big deal in Metroid. So this can stand out for that for starters. But it's also from Metroid Zero Mission, which is widely considered to be among the top 3 of 2d Metroid games. And it's where we were first introduced to the Zero Suit. Which caught on so well that it became a playable character in Smash.

Originality: 10/10

Pretty faithful recreation. Stealth, Searchlights, Traps, Space Pirates. This stage nails faithfulness to the source material quite well.

Playability: 7/10

Those Space Pirates might be a little too fast in some cases. And I can see them adding point totals in Time Matches getting on people's nerves. But their attacks aren't super devastating aside from hit stun. And you can KO them are early percents. As for the doors, well, where are they? I can't figure out where they appear and if they interfere with a match. Be sure to clarify things like that in the future. That alone cost you a full point here.

Overall Score: 22/25

Bryyo by Primid Primid

So is this place's name pronounced with an "eeeee" or with an "eye"? Either way it's the home planet and battle arena of one of the few examples of a memorable Metroid character. I don't see any issues here.

Well I'm sure this place would be bound to cause some salt for those who want Rundas to be playable. But I think everything works out pretty well. Nice and basic with some cool additions. It's also nice to see and Ice oriented stage that DOESN'T belong to the Ice Climbers =P

Playability: 10/10

I guess the slippery-ness of the ice platforms might be a bit tricky. But it's not like you're ever forced to be on them.

Overall Score: 25/25

Nightmare Chamber by TKOWL TKOWL

Iconic Status: 4/5

It's a memorable boss and if I recall correctly a lot of people were relieved to have the Gravity Suit after defeating him. I don't think it's quite enough for a 5. But it should stick out well enough.

This stage kind of reminds me of Midgar in a way. Very basic layout. But very creative gimmick to go with it. I do kind of like Midgar's gimmick better. But this one fits the source material well and originality wise, I don't see any reason to remove points.

Playability: 8/10

That gravity effect can be pretty nasty. But it's only active at specific points in a fight. Warrants points being removed. But not that many.

B.S.L. Research Station by Good Guy Giygas Good Guy Giygas

Was debating a 4 I will admit because of the lack of time spent here in the source game. But even so, any Metroid Fusion fan will be able to recognize this. And the X parasites do it some good here to.

The layout is fine. And everything else gimmick wise is all about the X Parasites which work out pretty well. Got to say though, because of the dead researchers body on the stage, RIP any chance of getting into the E10 rated Ultimate.

The decrease in points here is all because of the Red Parasite. 50% heal is too powerful. I might have removed less points if it was more rare but it seems just about as common as the others. And they can all show up pretty frequently.

Phaaze Genesis Chamber by A apaulieg

Phazon is too important to the Prime series for a planet covered in it to receive anything less.

Originality: 4/10

I do like the layout and the Phazon tentacle. But the concept behind the Leviathan womb I'm not too keen on. Even with only being able to be by projectiles it's still too much of an obstacle since if you break it, you get trapped in an extremely hazardous area with no escape. And it has so much of a presence that trying to avoid hitting the womb would be too much of a focus. Not an idea I can claim to be a fan of.

Playability: 1/10

No matter how you slice it there just isn't enough room here for a comfortable fight. Projectiles are too restricted in the first phase. The boss is too powerful in the 2nd. And when the boss goes way you're left with an area that only has a top blast zone. Everything else is blocked off. This stage would be too annoying to play on.

Overall Score: 10/25

Cosmic77's grades:

"Wrecked Ship" by Kevandre:

This feels like one of the more memorable areas from a classic Metroid game. The use of Phantoon combined with the staple door on the ceiling are bound to make people recognize this as a Metroid stage.

Originality: 8/10

The setting is unique, and surprisingly, we haven't seen anything like it before in a Metroid stage. The layout is fairly simple, and while it does resemble a few existing stages, it suits the stage. Really liked the use of Phantoon. Seems like a tame way of adding a stage boss without making the stage near impossible to play on.

Playability: 4/10

Phantoon warranted a point or two, but the ceiling was this stage's downfall. While I understand that a ceiling covering the entire stage makes sense given the area the stage is based on, I think it restricts players too much. A lot of characters depend on getting their KOs through the upper blast zone.

Then again, Bayo would be terrible on this stage.

Overall Score: 17/25

"Space Pirate Mothership" by GolisoPower:

Zero Mission wasn't the most memorable game in the franchise, but the area you chose fits the Metroid theme well. Not sure if anyone besides the more dedicated Metroid fans would know the game this stage came from, but I'm sure most people could at least tell you this is a Metroid stage.

Stealth mechanics have been implemented in stages before, but your stage manages to implement them in its own unique way. The laser security was different, and I don't think I've seen it been used before. The layout was also unique, helping your stage to be even further memorable.

If I could give one piece of criticism though, I'd suggest dropping the enemy gimmick. It feels like you've used that a lot with your stages.

Aside from the Space Pirates, the stage is fine for the most part. Although, I really would've like some clarification on the doors. As far as I can tell, there isn't even a spot on your stage where doors would make sense. Are they in the background?

Overall Score: 18/25

"Bryyo" by Primid:

Excellent choice for a Metroid stage. Game of origin is very memorable, and the setting is very suiting for the typical theme of Metroid.

Originality: 9/10

Fantastic work on the layout. Looks extremely unique and it strays from the previous Metroid stages we've gotten.

The use of Rundas was also something we haven't seen implemented in a stage before. While I don't think it was the best way to represent him, it certainly made your stage a lot more interesting to play on.

Ice can leave players a little more vulnerable when moving, so I think a single point deduction would be warranted. Other than that though, no real issues with your stage.

Overall Score: 24/25

"Nightmare Chamber" by TKOWL:

A very memorable boss for many reasons. I mean, how could you forget a face like that?

But seriously, there's no mistaking this for anything but a Metroid stage.

Originality: 7/10

Background sounds interesting as heck. I'd love to see that in HD.

Anyways, your stage has an interesting gimmick that suits Nightmare perfectly, but I don't feel like it's really all that creative. When you dumb it down, characters basically get heavier and harder to launch. Then the layout itself is a little too simple, being almost identical to a few existing stages in Smash.

To the suprise of no one, I had to deduct points because of the effect the gravity can have on the game.

Overall Score: 19/25

"B.S.L. Research Station" by Good Guy Giygas:

Iconic Status: 3/5

You chose a great game to base your stage off of, but this may have not been the best area to go with. To be honest, without the gimmicks, I could see someone mistaking this as a Star Fox stage.

The X parasites do a phenomenal job in making this stage stand out. I love the way you implemented different kinds into the match. Layout also looks unique, and the setting is different from what we've gotten with other Metroid stages. Great job all around.

The parasites raise a few concerns, particularly the red one. A full Final Smash meter and 50% damage being healed could decide the winner in most matches.

Overall Score: 20/25

"Phaaze Genesis Chamber" by apaulieg:

I think I'm basically saying the same thing with all of the Prime stages at this point.

Well, regardless, your stage is based off a very important and memorable part of the Prime series.

Originality: 6/10

Looking at the background and the setting of your stage, I wanted to say this was a very unique and creative stage. Unfortunately, your gimmick feels very similar to existing stages, particularly Luigi's Mansion. I'll give you credit for making it look aesthetically unique, but I don't think this was the best gimmick to implement.

Playability: 3/10

I’m sorry, but as much effort as you put, I think this stage is borderline impossible to play the way you intended. The womb can only be hit by projectiles (so that basically knocks out more than two-thirds of the swordfighters), the ceiling is ate up almost entirely by the sheer size of the womb, and the tentacles, while not very harmful, are large enough to obstruct the path under the womb even more than it already is.

Overall Score: 14/25

TheMarioAddict's grades:

"Wrecked Ship" by Kevandre:

I think the wrecked ship is one of the most memorable areas in all of Super Metroid - everywhere else in the game is a cave of varying topography, but the Wrecked Ship stands out for being the one man-made area (well, I guess there’s Tourian too), as well as having a very memorable boss battle (which… I guess also describes Tourian pretty well). So yeah, I’d say this play is well deserving of a high Iconic score!

There’s a ton to talk about here. For one, I don’t think any stage ever has completely blocked off the ceiling, so that’s worthy of praise on its own. And then there’s the setting of a creepy space station, which… I guess was sorta done by Frigate Orpheon, but let’s gloss over that for now. Then there’s Phantoon, who just makes sense for this stage. I will say it would have been nice to see some other things from the wrecked ship (ike those robots you can push around, for example), but that’s hardly worth noting. Very nicely done!

Phantoon’s not losing you many points here, surprisingly - he’s annoying, but seems pretty easy to deal with. No, the big point drain is the ceiling. To put it simply, you’ve turned the entire stage into a cave of life. That’s an exaggeration, but considering that the vast majority of attacks launch opponents up, and that aerial combat is a big part of Smash, the top blast zone was probably the most crucial one to not get rid of. And no, the door doesn’t fix it.

"Space Pirate Mothership" by GolisoPower:

Was Zero Mission popular? I mean, I know it was essentially a better version of the first game, but was Zero Mission actually popular in its own right? Well, in any case, the Mothership is memorable for having a completely different style of gameplay from the rest of Zero Mission, but I don’t think it’s the best choice for an iconic Metroid stage.

So to be technical, we have seen a stage with stealth mechanics before, and I don’t mean Shadow Moses Island - I mean Gamer. Still, you implement the stealth idea very differently, so I’ll give that a pass. The tripwires do add some really interesting elements to this stage, too, forcing players to decide whether to trip a wire or go the long way around. It’s got a pretty interesting layout too, so for all of that I’d say it’s worth a high score in originality.

Playability: 4/10

So. Let me address my biggest problem. You say that, “if a player is detected, doors will trap themselves shut”. And to that, I have one burning question: where are the doors? I don’t see any doors in the picture (though that might be on Kev if he helped you with the pic), and I cannot picture where they would logically be. Plus, regardless of where they pop up, they would have to cause massive interference with the match, just based on how the stage is laid out. But it’s not like the tripwires are easy to avoid either, so that could lead to lots of camping as well, and… well, you get the idea. Needless to say, it’s rough.

Overall Score: 17/25

"Bryyo" by Primid:

I never got to Prime 3 (I own the Trilogy, but haven’t even beaten Prime 1), so I can’t say much for the memorability of Bryyo… but I can say that about Rundas, who seems to be the top choice of new Metroid rep for like… everyone ever. So I think it’s safe to say he’s pretty dang iconic, and if Bryyo is where you fight him, then that extends to the stage too.

Real talk - I could have sworn there was another stage in Smash that could randomly apply ice to the stage. I thought for sure that Unova Pokemon League did it, and was prepared to take off a point for that, but lo and behold, that’s not the case! Which is good news for you, because that was my only problem! The look, the feel, the layout, the gimmicks… it’s simple, but it’s perfect!

I don’t see any big playability concerns whatsoever. Can’t say much more than that!

Overall Score: 25/25

Congrats - you’re now the second person to get a perfect score from me!

"Nightmare Chamber" by TKOWL:

Hot take: Nightmare is, hands down, the most memorable boss fight in the Metroid franchise. Yes, even more so than the Mother Brain Dinosaur thing at the end of Super Metroid. Yes, more so than Ridley or Meta Ridley. Yes, more so than any of the Prime bosses. Fight me on that if you want, but one way or another, that freakish gravity monstrosity has earned you a perfect Iconic score.

Once again, I could have sworn there was a real stage that already used this gimmick. But there isn’t as far as I can tell, so points for the gravity manipulation! Loss of points, however, for immediately making me think of Spear Pillar. True, there’s no massive cave of life in your version, but the platform layout beyond that is identical. Everything else is great though - I can already visualize the weird techno junk in the background, and it’s awesome.

Playability: 8/10

Obviously the gravity can cause issues during play, but that’s the only major issue here. Without that, it’s basically just Spear Pillar without the one thing making Spear Pillar annoying to play. Which is to say, this stage is good.

Overall Score: 21/25

"B.S.L. Research Station" by Good Guy Giygas:

Iconic Status: 3/5

I’m conflicted. On the one hand, Metroid Fusion is a pretty memorable game, but… I dunno, something about just using the generic starting area feels off to me. The X parasites certainly spice it up a bit, but… I dunno, there’s lots of Space Stations in Metroid, and this one doesn’t really stand out to me.

The X parasites go a long way towards making this stage into something really special - walls enemies, platform destruction, healing… they really can do everything! Couple that with an interesting platform layout and a nice outer-space-y background, and this stage gets high marks from me!

Yeah, the parasites cause some problems in playability. The wall and platform destruction are actually fine on their own (if a bit annoying), but the rest of the abilities are a bit more concerning. An instantly full Final Smash meter is pretty dang game-changing, but even with that off a 50% heal is nothing to scoff at either, and the other two parasites have the capability to cause some damage to the players. They’re not the worst, mind you, but they aren’t the best either.

"Phaaze Genesis Chamber" by apaulieg:

I may not have gotten to Primes 2 or 3, but I’m well aware of how important Phazon and the planet Phaaze are to the Prime series as a whole. So pretty much anywhere on Phaaze would be worthy of a perfect 5 here. Good job!

Originality: 6/10

Hmm. With the boss and the tentacle and stuff, I want to say this is a really unique stage, but… hm. The main issue is that the Leviathan Womb is something we’ve seen quite a bit before - that is, a destructible object that drastically changes the layout of the stage. We’ve seen it in Luigi’s Mansion, Shadow Moses Island, and Great Plateau Tower, just to name a few. Hell, the Luigi’s Mansion one even has the same properties as the Womb. Add that to a stage whose layout seems like one I’ve seen countless variations of (though the asymmetry is a nice touch), and you end up with a lackluster originality score.

Playability: 2/10

I’m not even going to talk about the Aurora Unit, because there’s a far bigger issue at hand - I don’t think the Womb is nearly as unobtrusive as you think it is. It covers such a huge area above the stage (which, remember, Smash has a lot of aerial combat) that I’d be more surprised if people don’t accidentally break it in, like, 100% of their matches. You mention that it’s only affected by projectiles and items, meaning that certain characters won’t even be able to hit it, but that actually just makes things worse - characters with projectiles could get their attacks eaten by the Womb when they meant to attack an opponent, which is a huge nerf. Plus the people who do want to break the womb will be forced to pick a projectile character, even if they don’t want to. And as the coup-de-grace, you can’t go back once the stage transforms!? WHY!? The Genesis Chamber is far more interesting than the bare-bones Shadow Moses Island clone down below. You really should have left the destructible Womb out of this stage, because boy did it tank your score.

Overall Score: 13/25

Total Scores:

Kevandre: 55 points

GolisoPower: 57 points

Primid: 74 points

TKOWL: 62 points

Good Guy Giygas: 62 points

apaulieg: 37 points

The Winner Is............
Bryyo by Primid

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Congrats to Primid Primid for his Bryyo stage!

I guess you could say that was the...coolest stage of the round? Okay, okay, I won’t do any more puns, just chill. Okay, now I’m starting to get on thin ice. Dang it, now I can’t stop!

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Congrats to Primid Primid ! Makes me wish I had finished the Prime games...

Also @psb123 , I wanted to get a head start on the Anything Goes round, but I have a quick question. Am I correct in assuming the stages are still limited to any game that's appeared on a Nintendo console? And if that's the case, could I potentially do a stage from say, Final Fantasy XV, which has not appeared on a Nintendo console, but they are porting the FFXV Pocket Edition to the Switch. I don't want to waste my time on something if it isn't allowed, so clarification would be much appreciated! And no worries if I can't, I'm still deciding on what stage I'll ultimately pick since I ended up with quite a few ideas for this round. I just want to know which of my potential choices are possible before I get started. Thanks!

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Congrats to Primid Primid ! Makes me wish I had finished the Prime games...

Also @psb123 , I wanted to get a head start on the Anything Goes round, but I have a quick question. Am I correct in assuming the stages are still limited to any game that's appeared on a Nintendo console? And if that's the case, could I potentially do a stage from say, Final Fantasy XV, which has not appeared on a Nintendo console, but they are porting the FFXV Pocket Edition to the Switch. I don't want to waste my time on something if it isn't allowed, so clarification would be much appreciated! And no worries if I can't, I'm still deciding on what stage I'll ultimately pick since I ended up with quite a few ideas for this round. I just want to know which of my potential choices are possible before I get started. Thanks!
He previously said that if the character from the game has appeared on a Nintendo console then it counts for the anything goes round

D

Deleted member

Okay, yea the characters in both versions are the same, so therefore I could base my stage off of vanilla FFXV and not the Pocket Edition then right?
That is correct. In fact FFXV is an even more special case. The vanilla version of that specific game may not have had a release on a Nintendo System. But plenty of other games within the franchise have. So even if the Pocket Edition wasn't on Switch, you'd still be good to go.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
That's my understanding. If I'm wrong I gotta act fast tho lol
That is correct. In fact FFXV is an even more special case. The vanilla version of that specific game may not have had a release on a Nintendo System. But plenty of other games within the franchise have. So even if the Pocket Edition wasn't on Switch, you'd still be good to go.
Awesome, thanks for the clarification guys. I still gotta make up my mind on what I'll actually choose though.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Now I have a question about the Star Fox round: does Starlink: Battle for Atlas count as a Star Fox game? Or is making a stage using that game out of the question for that round?

D

Deleted member

Now I have a question about the Star Fox round: does Starlink: Battle for Atlas count as a Star Fox game? Or is making a stage using that game out of the question for that round?
Sadly, I'm going to have to say no. Starlink is available on other systems without the Star Fox content and while Star Fox is absolutely a welcome addition to the game at the end of the day Starlink is it's own franchise and not actually a part of the Star Fox series. It's the same reason why I'm not allowing Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE in the Fire Emblem round. Fire Emblem is a big part of that game, but it's still it's own IP.

D

Deleted member

So now that I'm aware that there is still confusion going on with the Anything Goes 2 Round. Allow me to give a few detailed examples.

The rule is that the series has to have originated from a video game. So no Dragon Ball and what not. And it has to be a game OR series where one of it's characters has appeared on a Nintendo Console.

As said with Final Fantasy, if the series has had a game on Nintendo, then the whole thing is fair game.

But for more specifics on the whole "Character on Nintendo" rule. Here are some examples of what is allowed.

Devil May Cry:

This is a series that has not received a single game on a Nintendo System. But some of it's characters, such as Dante and Vergil, are playable in the 3DS exclusive Project X Zone series. So all of the Devil May Cry games are eligible.

In fact, Project X Zone opens the door for a lot of series.

Darkstalkers
Dead Rising
God Eater

Just to name a few

Persona:

Whether or not this one has truly been on Nintendo is a matter of perspective. None of it's main entries have been, but the series is a spin-off of Shin Megami Tensei which has indeed been on Nintendo. But regardless of how you view it, characters like Joker and Yu Narukami are in the 3DS exclusive Persona Q games. So this series is eligible as well.

Clockwork Knight:

This isn't a series. It's a single game that was only ever released on the Sega Saturn. But the IP is Sega's property. The game may not have released on Nintendo nor was it's character ever featured there. But the company that owns it is already on board with Smash Bros. via the playable characters of Sonic and Bayonetta. So it is still eligible.

Psychonauts:

A bit of a cult classic of 3d Platformers from the era of the Gamecube. However that game itself was not on the Gamecube or any other Nintendo system and the upcoming sequel has not been announced for a Nintendo system either. But the game "Runner2" of the bit.trip series was on the Wii U and Raz, the main character of Psychonauts, is a downloable playable character in that game. Therefore, Psychonauts is eligible. As is Spelunky. An indie game not released on Nintendo but has it's main character playable in Runner2

Chaos Rings:

This is a very obscure series that is almost exclusively on mobile platforms. But it is owned by Square-Enix. Who is on board with Smash already. It is eligible.

And on the flip side, here are some examples of things that are NOT allowed.

Halo, Gears of War, pretty much any non-rareware ip owned by Microsoft:

Sony, as you all can figure, does not have a single IP they own that is eligible and unlike Microsoft, they don't get along amazingly well with Nintendo. But most of the ip's owned by Microsoft and not Rareware are ineligible. Good terms or not they haven't been on Nintendo systems. Rare Ip's that have been on Nintendo like Banjo and Conker are allowed, though ones that have not been on Nintendo like Kameo: Elements of Power are not. Minecraft is allowed too, but that's it. I know that might seem weird given how things like Chaos Rings and Clockwork Knight are eligible. But since Microsoft is also a console maker it's just too much of a hassle for anything from their IP's to really be plausible right now.

Portal:

Like with Psychonauts, there was a Portal character as DLC in Runner2. But they were only available on the Steam version. No Wii U appearance means it's not eligible.

EDIT: There has actually been Portal content on the Switch. So it’s eligible after all.

Bejeweled:

This series mainly makes it home on mobile. Which we know is a platform Nintendo Supports with games like Fire Emblem Heroes and Dragalia Lost. But mobile is not a Nintendo owned platform and Bejeweled has never been on a Nintendo System. It is not eligible.

And finally, two series that are eligible. But have limits in what is allowed.

Kingdom Hearts:

Disney is a very important part of this series but none of their stuff is of video game origin. You can make a Kingdom Hearts stage. But it has to exclusively be things found in Kingdom Hearts and other Square games. There cannot be a shred of Disney content.

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle:

This is only one entry in the series. But it's on the Switch so Blazblue as a whole is allowed. As is Persona and Under Night in Birth which are also featured in this game. However RWBY, despite also being featured, is not of video game origin like the rest of the cast. So there cannot be any RWBY content in a stage from this game.

Hopefully that paints a clear enough picture about what's allowed for the final round. But as always, feel free to ask if you have questions.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Sadly, I'm going to have to say no. Starlink is available on other systems without the Star Fox content and while Star Fox is absolutely a welcome addition to the game at the end of the day Starlink is it's own franchise and not actually a part of the Star Fox series. It's the same reason why I'm not allowing Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE in the Fire Emblem round. Fire Emblem is a big part of that game, but it's still it's own IP.
Well, this throws me for a loop. But I’ll manage.

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Thank you all! I had a lot of fun designing this stage, glad you guys liked it so much!

This has definitely been one of my favorite rounds, so many cool entries. (pun intended)

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Portal:

Like with Psychonauts, there was a Portal character as DLC in Runner2. But they were only available on the Steam version. No Wii U appearance means it's not eligible.
Not that I'm making a Portal stage, but the Portal version of Bridge Constructor is on Switch- Would that not make Portal eligible?

D

Deleted member

Not that I'm making a Portal stage, but the Portal version of Bridge Constructor is on Switch- Would that not make Portal eligible?
Yeah, that does make Portal eligible. I just didn’t know about Bridge Constructor until now ^^;

D

Deleted member

Reminder that Round 40 ends tomorrow. And I got to say, I think I underestimated how well Kid Icarus would do on it's own.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Poor F-Zero though. Captain Falcon is probably crying in a corner right now...
Try as I might I just can't really think of something new for F-Zero tbh. In fact, I'd remove an F-Zero stage because Port Town sucks

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Portal, I was actually commissioned by someone on Tumblr to make a Portal stage last July, and I might as well post here:

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Try as I might I just can't really think of something new for F-Zero tbh. In fact, I'd remove an F-Zero stage because Port Town sucks
I considered making an F-Zero stage too, but yeah, making something interesting based off a racing game proved to be too tough. Props to Sakurai and team for at least trying

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I considered making an F-Zero stage too, but yeah, making something interesting based off a racing game proved to be too tough. Props to Sakurai and team for at least trying
Yeah man I think it works for Mario Kart because the locations are so varied but that's not really how F Zero do. Or I mean, it could be, if they made more games.

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Yeah man I think it works for Mario Kart because the locations are so varied but that's not really how F Zero do. Or I mean, it could be, if they made more games.
True, I hadn't really thought about it like that but Mario Kart definitely lends itself better to stage creations because the locales themselves are different enough from one another.

I did some research into F-Zero since I haven't played any of them (unless you count the track in Mario Kart 8) and I was somewhat surprised to find that most of the tracks looked too same-y. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're fun to race on and all, but they didn't seem to differ much from track to track, only really changing the layout of the road. I appreciate the few F-Zero stages we already have in Smash, but I'm not shocked they haven't tried making a new stage for the series.

D

Deleted member

So after finding out some new info, I'm going to have to retract my original statement on this. Fun fact: Did you know that the Tokyo Mirage Sessions character Tsubasa is listed in Ultimate as a Fire Emblem Spirit? And it seems that Nintendo themselves consider Tokyo Mirage a spin-off of Fire Emblem instead of it's own thing AND Tokyo Mirage characters appear in the Fire Emblem Cipher card series dedicated to celebrating all generations of Fire Emblem. So lo and behold. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is eligible for Fire Emblem 2 after all.

And if that's the case, I feel it's only right to allow Starlink to be in the Star Fox 2 round. Especially since Star Fox has such a strong presence in that game like the Mario characters do in Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Which is most certainly a Mario game.

tl;dr Starlink is eligible for the Star Fox 2 round after all.

Top Bottom