• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Stage Creation Contest (Complete)

splat

Smash Lord
You're always free to upload stages not from the current round. I've done that before, though I think I waited for Saturday so as to not mess with the judges
Sweet. I guess I'll wait for Saturday as well unless I get the a-ok from the judges to post it earlier. Thanks!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sweet. I guess I'll wait for Saturday as well unless I get the a-ok from the judges to post it earlier. Thanks!
If the stage was intended to be for a different round, you can upload it whenever you'd like.

I'll just have remind @psb123 not to include it our list of entries. He probably won't need it though. I have a feeling your stage won't be mistaken for something from Zelda.

D

Deleted member

If the stage was intended to be for a different round, you can upload it whenever you'd like.

I'll just have remind @psb123 not to include it our list of entries. He probably won't need it though. I have a feeling your stage won't be mistaken for something from Zelda.
Actually splat, you might want to save it for the final round. That round is “Anything Goes 2” and crossover stages are eligible for it. I don’t know if you’ll want to submit something else, but you should be aware just in case.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have like 3 stage concepts for Kirby 64 locations, so I can publish them whenever I want? They would probably score low due to low iconicity, but I like those concepts and I'd like to publish them eventually in the future.

D

Deleted member

I have like 3 stage concepts for Kirby 64 locations, so I can publish them whenever I want? They would probably score low due to low iconicity, but I like those concepts and I'd like to publish them eventually in the future.
Technically speaking there's no guarantee that all the judges would grade them in this kind of situation. But yes, you can submit these ideas for fun if you so wish. Just keep in mind that Kirby stages are eligible for the final round of "Anything Goes 2" in case you want to reserve one of them for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

splat

Smash Lord
I'll post it now since it does have some similarities with at least one other entry (TKOWL's Nintendo Labo Stage, though only visually), and I'd rather not risk getting disqualified for that final round. That said, here we go!

My biggest gripe with crossover stages is that, while neat at first, they tend to lose their charm a bit after seeing them more often. I thought it was one of the many things PSABR did wrong: they had some crazy mash-ups in their level design, which looks awesome the first time you play it, the second time it's only cool and after the third it's already getting predictable.

So I wanted to create a mash-up stage that not only does not get predictable, but also ties in the entirety of Smash. How? Through randomness, of course!

TableLogo.png

As you might've noticed from the stage logo, is based after Smash 64, which is most apparent in the stage theme.

It's based on the opening scene! I took some artistic liberties with it, but I hope it's still recognizable.

Table_1.png

The stage itself only consists of a single, large pillar (collisions shown below Mario and Mr. Game and Watch).
That's about to change REAL soon, though...

Table_2.png

Kids' building blocks start falling out of the sky! Watch out, Mr. Game and Watch!

Table_3.png

THUD! You do not want to stand under a falling block.
(The damage and knockback aren't that bad, though!)

Table_4.png

Wait, what is going on with that cylindrical building block? Is it transforming?

Table_5.png

Yes it is! Both building blocks have turned into Warp Pipes!
And they seem to function, too!

This is where both the crossover and tying together the series come into play: the entire stage is based around the premise that Smash is just a child's play, imagining its the Nintendo All-Stars duking it out. You can see the stage build itself (having an actual kid building it would be a bit awkward, also my Photoshop skills aren't that good) using kids' building blocks and 'transforming' them into objects from other series. This means that you can see a layout like this:

Table_6.png

Can you recognize all these objects?

Better be quick, because a few moments later it might look something like this:

Table_7.png

You recognize them all, right?

The keenest eyes amongst you might've also noticed the trophies change. Each battle the trophies change, but the stage only displays trophies you've collected in-game. You really are that child playing with their toys!

So, how does the gimmick work? Each object gets a set amount of grid spaces, and the game tries to slot in new objects based on the open slots. Each object only stays for a fairly short duration (20-30 seconds or so?) before disappearing and freeing up the slots.

Table_8.png

There's 3 x 8 slots available, as well as a floor level.
(It's how Brawl's stage builder should've been!)

All objects are separated into four groups:
1. Floor - The object does not take up a slot of the grid, but is placed on the floor. Other objects can fit over it.
2. Ground - The objects needs solid ground under it.
3. Sky - The item needs to be elevated, and can be placed in either the top or middle row, unless specified otherwise.
4. Both - The object can be placed in all rows.

So, what are the objects? I've currently come up with 21, but it can easily be expanded upon. I tried to pick objects from different series (some of which aren't represented in Smash just yet) that are instantly recognizable as well. The current list consists of the following:

Series | Object | Placement | Width | Height | Notes
Mario | Warp Pipes | Ground | 1 | 1 | Allows players to warp between two locations on the map. Takes up two non-adjacent spaces.
Tetris | I-Block | Ground | 4 | 1 | Raises the ground level. Other objects can attach themselves to the sides and the top.
Donkey Kong| Blast Barrel| Sky | 1 | 1 | You hop in upon touching it, launches you in a particular direction.
Animal Crossing | The Roost | Ground | 2 | 2 | The awning functions as a single platform that players can bounce off of.
Animal Crossing| Fire Pit | Ground | 2 | 1 | Landing in it will burn. On a more positive note, K.K. Slider performs next to it!
Game & Watch | Manhole| Sky | 2 | 1 | A single space platform that switches back and forth between two adjacent spots.
Metroid | Samus' Gunship| Sky | 2 | 1 | A large, single platform. It tilts slightly, like miniature Lylat Cruise.
Tomodachi Life | Singing platform| Sky | 1 | 1 | A single platform, which can only appear at the top level and looks like it's stuck to the ceiling. Raises up at the end.
Yoshi | Yoshi's House | Ground | 2 | 2 | Functions as a cave of live.
Pikmin | Onion | Ground | 3 | 2 | A single, elevated platform in the middle of the two spots. The Onion can lift itself off the ground from time to time.
Sonic | Spring | Ground | 1 | 1 | Lets players jump off of it.
Ice Climber | Condor | Sky | ? | 1 | The Condor flies back and forth as far as it can, functions as a platform. Can only appear at the top level.
F-Zero | Charge Strip | Floor | ? | 0 | Staying on the strip charges your Final Smash Meter.
Pokémon | Long Grass | Floor | ? | 0 | Hides players from sight. Some Pokémon may jump out, but do nothing.
Pokémon | Poké Beanstalk | Ground | 2 | 2 | Two platforms appear at each side of the beanstalk. Hitting it causes some healing beans to fall off.
Kirby | Kracko | Sky | 2 | 1 | Starts as a platform, but turns into a foe that attacks players before disappearing.
Custom Robo | Holosseum | All | 1 | 1 | Obstructs an area. Other objects can attach themselves to the sides and the top.
Splatoon | Ride Rails | All | 1 | 1 | Connects two points, players can zip between the two. Takes up two non-adjacent spaces.
Hanafuda | Card | Sky | 1 | 1 | Single platform, multiple can appear at once.
Zelda | Sheikah Tower| Ground | 1 | ? | A large tower you can climb to reach higher areas, surpassing the top of the level.
Wii Sports | Swordplay platform| Ground | 2 | 2 | A large elevated platform.

Notes:
1. No music because I'm not too good with it. I guess the old Smash themes would make sense.
2. I tried putting some more love notes into the stage. Did you notice the view outside is the area Mario and Kirby fight? Or that the books and pen holder from the opening scene are on the left closet? Or that the artwork from Melee's Trophy Room is in here as well?
3. I don't hate Mr. Game & Watch at all, he's just an easy target since his render works well in the 'I just got hit' sense as well.
4. I've been wanting to do a stage that shows collected trophies for a long time. It's what I started to work on in the Animal Crossing round: I planned out a Museum stage, with an additional trophy wing. I thought it fit this stage really well, too, though!

Last edited:

Primid

Smash Apprentice
I'll post it now since it does have some similarities with at least one other entry (TKOWL's Nintendo Labo Stage, though only visually), and I'd rather not risk getting disqualified for that final round. That said, here we go!

My biggest gripe with crossover stages is that, while neat at first, they tend to lose their charm a bit after seeing them more often. I thought it was one of the many things PSABR did wrong: they had some crazy mash-ups in their level design, which looks awesome the first time you play it, the second time it's only cool and after the third it's already getting predictable.

So I wanted to create a mash-up stage that not only does not get predictable, but also ties in the entirety of Smash. How? Through randomness, of course!

View attachment 172045
As you might've noticed from the stage logo, is based after Smash 64, which is most apparent in the stage theme.

It's based on the opening scene! I took some artistic liberties with it, but I hope it's still recognizable.

View attachment 172046
The stage itself only consists of a single, large pillar (collisions shown below Mario and Mr. Game and Watch).

View attachment 172047
Kids' building blocks start falling out of the sky! Watch out, Mr. Game and Watch!

View attachment 172049

View attachment 172050
Wait, what is going on with that cylindrical building block? Is it transforming?

View attachment 172051

This is where both the crossover and tying together the series come into play: the entire stage is based around the premise that Smash is just a child's play, imagining its the Nintendo All-Stars duking it out. You can see the stage build itself (having an actual kid building it would be a bit awkward, also my Photoshop skills aren't that good) using kids' building blocks and 'transforming' them into objects from other series. This means that you can see a layout like this:

View attachment 172052

View attachment 172053

The keenest eyes amongst you might've also noticed the trophies change. Each battle the trophies change, but the stage only displays trophies you've collected in-game. You really are that child playing with their toys!

So, how does the gimmick work? Each object gets a set amount of grid spaces, and the game tries to slot in new objects based on the open slots. Each object only stays for a fairly short duration (20-30 seconds or so?) before disappearing and freeing up the slots.

View attachment 172054

1. Floor - The object does not take up a slot of the grid, but is placed on the floor. Other objects can fit over it.
3. Sky - The item needs to be elevated, and can be placed in either the top or middle row, unless specified otherwise.

So, what are the objects? I've currently come up with 21, but it can easily be expanded upon. I tried to pick objects from different series (some of which aren't represented in Smash just yet) that are instantly recognizable as well. The current list consists of the following:

Mario | Warp Pipes | Ground | 1 | 1 | Allows players to warp between two locations on the map. Takes up two non-adjacent spaces.
Tetris | I-Block | Ground | 4 | 1 | Raises the ground level. Other objects can attach themselves to the sides and the top.
Donkey Kong| Blast Barrel| Sky | 1 | 1 | You hop in upon touching it, launches you in a particular direction.
Animal Crossing | The Roost | Ground | 2 | 2 | The awning functions as a single platform that players can bounce off of.
Animal Crossing| Fire Pit | Ground | 2 | 1 | Landing in it will burn. On a more positive note, K.K. Slider performs next to it!
Game & Watch | Manhole| Sky | 2 | 1 | A single space platform that switches back and forth between two adjacent spots.
Metroid | Samus' Gunship| Sky | 2 | 1 | A large, single platform. It tilts slightly, like miniature Lylat Cruise.
Tomodachi Life | Singing platform| Sky | 1 | 1 | A single platform, which can only appear at the top level and looks like it's stuck to the ceiling. Raises up at the end.
Pikmin | Onion | Ground | 3 | 2 | A single, elevated platform in the middle of the two spots. The Onion can lift itself off the ground from time to time.
Ice Climber | Condor | Sky | ? | 1 | The Condor flies back and forth as far as it can, functions as a platform. Can only appear at the top level.
F-Zero | Charge Strip | Floor | ? | 0 | Staying on the strip charges your Final Smash Meter.
Pokémon | Long Grass | Floor | ? | 0 | Hides players from sight. Some Pokémon may jump out, but do nothing.
Pokémon | Poké Beanstalk | Ground | 2 | 2 | Two platforms appear at each side of the beanstalk. Hitting it causes some healing beans to fall off.
Kirby | Kracko | Sky | 2 | 1 | Starts as a platform, but turns into a foe that attacks players before disappearing.
Custom Robo | Holosseum | All | 1 | 1 | Obstructs an area. Other objects can attach themselves to the sides and the top.
Splatoon | Ride Rails | All | 1 | 1 | Connects two points, players can zip between the two. Takes up two non-adjacent spaces.
Zelda | Sheikah Tower| Ground | 1 | ? | A large tower you can climb to reach higher areas, surpassing the top of the level.

Notes:
1. No music because I'm not too good with it. I guess the old Smash themes would make sense.
2. I tried putting some more love notes into the stage. Did you notice the view outside is the area Mario and Kirby fight? Or that the books and pen holder from the opening scene are on the left closet? Or that the artwork from Melee's Trophy Room is in here as well?
3. I don't hate Mr. Game & Watch at all, he's just an easy target since his render works well in the 'I just got hit' sense as well.
4. I've been wanting to do a stage that shows collected trophies for a long time. It's what I started to work on in the Animal Crossing round: I planned out a Museum stage, with an additional trophy wing. I thought it fit this stage really well, too, though!
This is actually an awesome concept! I feel like this would've won the round too.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

View attachment 172045

View attachment 172046

View attachment 172047

View attachment 172049

View attachment 172050

View attachment 172051

View attachment 172052

View attachment 172053

View attachment 172054

Notes:
Ya did güd, man. :)

D

Deleted member

You know it never really struck me before but looking PSABR's stage list, I honestly kind of agree with you. But man oh man, the crossover stages submitted to this contest do not suffer from this problem. I am much more impressed with those submissions then with PSABR.

Got to say though, RIP Custom Robo. It kind of hurt in a way to see that part of your stage get mentioned.

splat

Smash Lord
You know it never really struck me before but looking PSABR's stage list, I honestly kind of agree with you. But man oh man, the crossover stages submitted to this contest do not suffer from this problem. I am much more impressed with those submissions then with PSABR.
Absolutely, no foul word to the entries of the contest: I think they did the 'crossover' right. What I disliked is PSABR's method of 'here's a Parappa stage, nothing special', but after one minute they'd be like 'surprise, there's actually a super clashing Killzone monster in here!' Aesthetics clashing aside, it's just not that interesting after a playthrough or two since the surprise is gone.

Got to say though, RIP Custom Robo. It kind of hurt in a way to see that part of your stage get mentioned.
I've never played Custom Robo, but it looked like a series I'd enjoy, so I wanted to put it in there at least in some capacity.
Now, I'm not sure if you follow the recent rumours (or believe them), but:
In the Chadnondorf 4chan post that was posted a month prior to the Grinch Leak, it was mentioned that Ray was cut during development, which would mean Sakurai at least has Custom Robo in his mind. Maybe he'll make it as DLC?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

View attachment 172045

View attachment 172046

View attachment 172047

View attachment 172049

View attachment 172050

View attachment 172051

View attachment 172052

View attachment 172053

View attachment 172054

Notes:
Honestly I think that's one of the best stage concepts in the whole thread...
Impressive, really!

D

Deleted member

Alright guys. Round 37 is now closed. See you tomorrow with the grades for it.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I gotta get to work on my Starfox one and that'll be the last one for me, including anything goes 2

D

Deleted member

Sorry about the lack of an update on this. Wasn't sure for a while when I'd be able to get to it myself. Round 37 grades should be up later today.

But in the mean time, let's start Round 38!

Winning the poll at 7 votes, Round 38 is....................................

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

The final 3rd Party exclusive round. Now keep in mind we're sticking solely to the games for this one. That means nothing from Sonic X, The Archie Comics, or any other non-gaming medium. The Sonic Boom side series is also excluded. Despite having some Video games in it, that series is just too much of a separate continuity. We're sticking to the regular series for this round.

But that's all there is in terms of restrictions. Any other game whether it be the Adventure Games, Riders, Colors, you name it, is eligible. Though, fair warning. Green Hill type levels are a little risky with the originality score. Both of the stages Sonic has received in Smash are Green Hill type levels and given the vast amount of other locations in the series, using another one puts your originality score at risk. At least the one coming from me.

I'm not saying it's impossible to create a Green Hill type level with such a unique concept that I'd score it high anyway because it certainly is, it's just a risky move to make it all I'm saying.

And with that, on October 29th 2018, Round 38 has begun. You have until Friday, November 2nd, at about 11:00pm pacific time to submit entries.

Good Luck!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Sorry about the lack of an update on this. Wasn't sure for a while when I'd be able to get to it myself. Round 37 grades should be up later today.

But in the mean time, let's start Round 38!

Winning the poll at 7 votes, Round 38 is....................................

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

The final 3rd Party exclusive round. Now keep in mind we're sticking solely to the games for this one. That means nothing from Sonic X, The Archie Comics, or any other non-gaming medium. The Sonic Boom side series is also excluded. Despite having some Video games in it, that series is just too much of a separate continuity. We're sticking to the regular series for this round.

But that's all there is in terms of restrictions. Any other game whether it be the Adventure Games, Riders, Colors, you name it, is eligible. Though, fair warning. Green Hill type levels are a little risky with the originality score. Both of the stages Sonic has received in Smash are Green Hill type levels and given the vast amount of other locations in the series, using another one puts your originality score at risk. At least the one coming from me.

I'm not saying it's impossible to create a Green Hill type level with such a unique concept that I'd score it high anyway because it certainly is, it's just a risky move to make it all I'm saying.

And with that, on October 29th 2018, Round 38 has begun. You have until Friday, November 2nd, at about 11:00pm pacific time to submit entries.

Good Luck!
Got it; Sonic Schoolhouse stage comin right up, chief. ;)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Space Colony ARK

(Sonic Adventure 2)

In the past I made a Pumpkin Hill stage based on Sonic Adventure 2, and for the first Sonic round of the current contest, I did a Mushroom Hill Zone stage from Sonic & Knuckles. That was a good stage, but I gotta go back to my roots- the one and only Sonic game I ever truly love and ever revisit is Sonic Adventure 2.

In thinking about what to pull from SA2, I had a conundrum. There have been other City Escape stages I’ve seen in the past and that’s clearly the obvious thing to pull from that game. I also made a Radical Highway stage but was generally unsatisfied with it. I considered another Knuckles stage because, contrary to popular opinion, those are the best parts of the game, but… I felt like there was one major location from the game that was completely untapped. One where like a full third of the game’s stages take place as does the epic and awesome finale. Plus it Kurosensei’d the moon.

So I pick the Space Colony ARK.

What to do with the Space Colony though? I had a lot of different ideas, but I ultimately ended up focusing more on Tails’ mission through the Colony near the end of the Hero side, called Eternal Engine. It is Tails’ last playable stage (not including the finale or boss fights), and in it, Tails & The Cyclone/Tornado/Whatever he’s calling it at the moment are making their way through the inside of the colony, for the most part.

Tails has to hunt for a lot of the little white Switches, which sometimes help him… And sometimes will just open one of the many many airlock doors that lead to open space that will suck him out of the door.

Please also note that I've done a poor job of spacing on this mockup- Any character can jump to the higher platforms from the bottom layer of the stage without need for the central platform. Little Mac might have to use his air jump and up special, but he can get there no problem.

Thanks for demonstrating, Fox.

Goodbye, Falco.

So these switches have a random action assigned to them at the beginning of each match, without consistency in different times played on the map. For instance, this time the top left switch opened the bottom left door. The switch stays active for ten seconds. Anyone too near that door at the time will get sucked out! Falco was about as far away as you can be to be affected, though.

Only one switch can be active at a time, and once it’s done, the action the switch took will go back to normal.

So, what else do the switches do? Mostly, they open airlocks. Hell, they might open the door they’re directly on top of and you can get sucked out! But, they can also begin an alternating rise and fall of the central platform like so:

This doesn’t do any damage if you’re hit by it, it just creates the changing platform. So not all of the switches are bad. :)

Three switches will always be assigned to a random door, with one of them randomly assigned to the platform.

Aside from when the doors are open though, the only blast zone is the top of the screen. I always liked this feature of Shadow Moses Island, and wanted to kind of expand on the gimmick a little in a way that still feels authentic to the source it’s pulling from.

Note that the map of the ARK at the top of the screen is just aesthetic to make that section not-so-boring.

And that’s basically it. You can escape the pull of space if you think quick enough with your moves (Falco shoulda side-b’d) but once you’re outside the door that’s basically that. Consider yourself in freefall.

Unlockable: Play as Sonic (Or Shadow, if the Grinch stole Sakurai's Christmas) on both a Starfox and Metroid stage.

Music:​

On The Edge …for Eternal Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyG7d-B5634

Trespasser …for Lost Colony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu5-psXwapA

Space Trip Steps …for Meteor Herd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjYPOAjH9s8

Soarin’ Over Space …for Cosmic Wall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPH42HWs-Qs

Unstable World ...for Crazy Gadget: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39DqKP8AcdY

34ºN, 12ºE ...for Mad Space: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1cMw-q3tKo

The Supernatural …For Final Chase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv9esRxJ3Z8

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Radical Highway
Sonic Adventure 2

Featured in the iconic opening of Sonic Adventure 2, this highway under construction is also the sight of Shadow's first action level. Located in the outskirts of City Escape, the level makes it way across broken pieces of the highway, moving pillars, rocket launchers, attacking fighter jets, and the Golden Gate bridge. With Shadow being a highly likely echo fighter for Sonic, this would be a perfect home stage for the hedgehog.

Despite the complex landscape of the surrounding city, this stage is rather simple in construction. A long solid platform serves as the main area of fighting with a blocking off point in the middle (where the springboard is), and above it are two medium-sized elevated platforms that can be jumped through. Two moving pillars will alternate up and down at the edges, and either make grabbing onto the ledge a snap or a challenge. You can also knock fighters against it to potentially do some sick wall combos. Most of this stage's appeal comes from the aesthetics: the lights of the city and cars will be flashing in the background, fighter jets will fly around, and the "got ring?" blimp will be coasting around, shining its spotlight down below. The road closed ahead sign in the foreground may have different signs on there, such as warning of Shadow's presence or putting the wanted sign for Tails as seen in his version of this level, Mission Street. If fighters are launched around near the light pole to the left, it may actually break, although this is cosmetic like the signs in Suzaku Castle. A fun thing to do is to try to set up a snapshot in front of the moon, either to recreate the opening shot of Sonic Adventure 2 or do other fun things.

MUSIC:
Vengeane Is Mine (Sonic Generations)
Throw It All Away (Sonic Adventure 2)
Green Forest/White Jungle (Sonic Adventure 2) (Remix)
For True Story (Sonic Adventure 2)
All Hail Shadow (Sonic the Hedgehog 2006)
Supporting Me (Sonic Forces)
Westopolis (Sonic Forces)
Rooftop Run: Night (Sonic Unleashed) (Remix)
Terminal Velocity (Sonic Colors)
Metallic Madness Zone (Sonic Mania)
Infinite's Theme (Sonic Forces)
Park Avenue (Sonic Forces)
Imperial Tower (Sonic Forces)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Radical Highway
Sonic Adventure 2

Featured in the iconic opening of Sonic Adventure 2, this highway under construction is also the sight of Shadow's first action level. Located in the outskirts of City Escape, the level makes it way across broken pieces of the highway, moving pillars, rocket launchers, attacking fighter jets, and the Golden Gate bridge. With Shadow being a highly likely echo fighter for Sonic, this would be a perfect home stage for the hedgehog.

Despite the complex landscape of the surrounding city, this stage is rather simple in construction. A long solid platform serves as the main area of fighting with a blocking off point in the middle (where the springboard is), and above it are two medium-sized elevated platforms that can be jumped through. Two moving pillars will alternate up and down at the edges, and either make grabbing onto the ledge a snap or a challenge. You can also knock fighters against it to potentially do some sick wall combos. Most of this stage's appeal comes from the aesthetics: the lights of the city and cars will be flashing in the background, fighter jets will fly around, and the "got ring?" blimp will be coasting around, shining its spotlight down below. The road closed ahead sign in the foreground may have different signs on there, such as warning of Shadow's presence or putting the wanted sign for Tails as seen in his version of this level, Mission Street. If fighters are launched around near the light pole to the left, it may actually break, although this is cosmetic like the signs in Suzaku Castle. A fun thing to do is to try to set up a snapshot in front of the moon, either to recreate the opening shot of Sonic Adventure 2 or do other fun things.

MUSIC:
Vengeane Is Mine (Sonic Generations)
Throw It All Away (Sonic Adventure 2)
Green Forest/White Jungle (Sonic Adventure 2) (Remix)
For True Story (Sonic Adventure 2)
All Hail Shadow (Sonic the Hedgehog 2006)
Supporting Me (Sonic Forces)
Westopolis (Sonic Forces)
Rooftop Run: Night (Sonic Unleashed) (Remix)
Terminal Velocity (Sonic Colors)
Metallic Madness Zone (Sonic Mania)
Infinite's Theme (Sonic Forces)
Park Avenue (Sonic Forces)
Imperial Tower (Sonic Forces)
This is WAY better than my own Radical Highway stage. Simple yet a good representation of the sauce material.

Looking at my ARK stage just now, I wondered if I should have made it a travelling stage, covering all the different parts of the Space Colony. Part of it is a sideways-gravity wall based on Sonic's stage, part of it with the multiple layers and asteroids coming down like Knuckles's, part of it with that weird yellow water... Maybe an Ultimate Life Form boss fight...

Then I thought, that's hella complicated nevermind lol we good the way we are.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Time for Round 37 grades!

psb123's grades:

Picori Stream by Kevandre Kevandre

Iconic Status: 3/5

The four swords era is a weird one to judge on iconic value. It's most certainly past it's prime but it's remembered well enough to where I have difficulty deciding whether or not it's a 3 or a 4 for this kind of thing. So why the 3? Because this is a pretty bland location compared to some of Minish Cap's more memorable areas.

Originality: 5/10

I get wanting to use the whole shrinking aspect. A Minish Cap stage would need one after all. But other areas like Lake Hylia or the Palace of Winds could have still utilized it while being more notable locations overall. The way the Lily Pad works is nice but overall this is a rather uneventful arena.

Playability: 7/10

The Lily Pad can be angled closer to the blast zone which could cause some issues. But more than anything I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how the perspective could be playable. The way it's displayed in the pictures and the description of swim time only being temporary makes it seem like it scrolls down the river in a 3d view. And for a game like Smash Bros. that really seems like it would just mess with the way the game flows WAY too much.

But out of fear that this thought process is just my own lack of vision, I'll cut you a bit of slack.

Overall Score: 15/25

Hytopia Town by GolisoPower GolisoPower

Iconic Status: 2/5

Like I said, Four Swords is a weird one in the Iconic department but it does have a degree of memorability to it. Triforce Heroes isn't a four swords game, but it does attempt to accomplish a similar goal. But it's been out long enough to where I feel comfortable saying that it did not reach the success of the Four Swords series.

Originality: 10/10

Not going to lie, I wavered a bit on what score to give this one to be honest. At first I wondered if the costume gimmick, while certainly unique, really warranted a 10 on it's own since it struck me as just "stage exclusive items". But with the way the whole thing works, the stage seems to come together to form the kind of stage you just want to mess around on with a silly gimmick. And in that regard, it succeeds.

But there are some modes in every Smash game, mostly in single player, where you have limited control of what stage you're fighting on. Which causes the whole "fun to mess around on" nature of the stage to give it at least some disadvantage. Plus, the only layout I can claim I'm a fan of is the traveling platform. All the others seem a little bare in space to fight on.

Overall Score: 19/25

Lorule Castle by splat splat

Iconic Status: 4/5

A Link Between Worlds and the realm of Lorule it introduced are perhaps just a tad bit on the new side still. But they are certainly memorable. It would be easy for Zelda fans to recognize them.

Originality: 8/10

Echo Stages huh? Well first of all, to answer your question of whether or not this is the contests first Echo stage. Yes, mostly. There do exist ideas that fall in range of MarioAddict's Round 14 submission (which is extremely similar to Delfino Plaza in concept) but overall this is first actual Echo stage in this contest.

Speaking of which, MarioAddict's Round 14 entry is an example, like Kevandre's Round 2 and Luminario's Round 31 ideas, of why I don't see much reason to deduct a lot of points on this entry despite it being very similar to something we already have.

It is extremely similar to Hyrule Castle yes, but as an Echo stage, that's entirely the point. I have my doubts we'll ever see Echo Stages in a real Smash game but this grade is about Originality, not likeliness. And in that regard, sadly the concept of Echo stages does warrant a couple points being removed I suppose since you're literally copying another stage. But since that's the point, I'm going to be merciful about it. If nothing else, the frame traps are a very nice touch.

Playability: 10/10

So apparently Hyrule Castle has a few technical issues that make it a banned stage in competitive play. Huh, I thought it was just because of the tornado. But I do no consider Playability to be the same thing as competitive viability. In terms of just wanting to play a stage Hyrule Castle is a classic for a reason. I too love playing on it and the touches made to give this version a Lorule vibe don't change that. GolisoPower is right. This would be a great stage to use with Hyrule Castle in the Stage Morph option.

Overall Score: 22/25

Tal Tal Mountain Range by Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr

I think the main thing holding back handheld Zelda games from a perfect score here is that the console titles are just more notable to people. But in that handheld realm, it's hard to top Link's Awakening in terms of recognition.

There's some cool stuff going here. The layout is nice, the bridge is destructible while still having footing below it (take notes Green Hill Zone), the rocks are a fun little addition (and the callback to this gimmick from Zelda games is also nice. Not going to lie though, I forgot about it until you mentioned it ^^; ), but the best part is easily the Wind Fish. The background changes, healing of the arena, and waterfall it can cause are sublime.

Playability: 9/10

My only real concern is the boulders but it's pretty minor all in all. Doesn't seem to devastating, but it covers enough ground for me to take a point off. They do discourage the edge camping strategy that walk-offs can suffer from though so props to them for that.

Overall Score: 23/25

Tal Tal Heights by TKOWL TKOWL

Same reason as the last stage

Orignality: 8/10

Normally I'm not one to go for comparing one contest entry to another in the originality department but in this case, I think it's warranted. It's not that Iko posted the idea first, it's more that I think he utilized the potential this idea has for creativity more. There's not really anything wrong with this stage in terms of originality. But a basic 8-player focused arena is less creative than the stuff Iko used.

Playability: 8/10

The size comparisons between the characters and the stage is giving me some Palutena's Temple vibes. Not a huge problem all in all but Palutena's Temple is a little too big in some ways. I know this stage is 8-player focused but like I said with GolisoPower, sometimes you'll have more limited control of your arena. The less players there are, the more you have to spend time just catching up to them. I do consider this better than Palutena's Temple though thanks to the lack of damaging hazards.

Overall Score: 20/25

Cosmic77's grades:

"Picori Stream" by Kevandre:

I played this game as a kid, and I still love it for what it is. Unfortunately, I can't deny how small (no joke intended) this game is compared to other monsters like WW, TP, and BotW.

Originality: 6/10

If I'm being honest, this feels like a gimmick you'd see in a Pikmin stage rather than Zelda. Not really sure what that does to your score though.

Anyway, moving on. Layout is pretty simple, and while that's not always a bad thing, I don't feel like your gimmick (as unique as it is) justifies that. I really would've liked getting a little something extra, like leaves and sticks floating in the water too.

My only concern lies with the blast zones. Other than that, no real issues to point out.

Overall Score: 18/25

"Hytopia Town" by GolisoPower:

The fact that Aonuma himself had to defend this game should tell you how memorable it is.

As new as it is, it's just not very memorable. Like, at all.

I don't know if Sakurai would ever have enough time to create a stage like this, but it's certainly special. Having special costumes with special abilities for each character is extremely unique, and no other stage in Smash has ever managed to implement something like this. It also compliments the game rather nicely, and that's another thing I really appreciate. Good job!

For the most part, the costumes are tame. Not many of them feel like they'd be too unfair of an advantage.

Still, they offer an advantage nonetheless. The outcome of the battle could come down to who collects the most costumes.

Overall Score: 21/25

"Lorule Castle" by splat:

Iconic Status: 5/5

Lorule Castle is memorable, but even if it wasn't, your stage is inspired by an existing stage in Smash. I don't see how anyone could possibly mistake this for something else (except for Hyrule Castle for obvious reasons).

Originality: 1/10

Echoes are a great way to get characters in Smash who normally wouldn't have ever had a chance to be unique. The concept works well with characters, but not so much with stages.

I get that Lorule Castle is supposed to mirror the existing Hyrule Castle as a reference to how the two worlds worked in ALBW, but c'mon. You're essentially giving us the same stage with only a few minor tweaks, none of which are big enough to warrant this being an actual stage.

The alternate world concept isn't bad, but I think your execution was wrong. We've already had a few Lorule stages submitted to this contest before, so if you want to see how this idea could be better implemented, check out those stages.

I'll be a little nicer with your playability score. I already have an idea of what problems could exist on this stage thanks to Hyrule Castle, and none of them are too extreme. The paintings might be a tad worse than the tornados though.

Overall Score: 13/25

"Tal Tal Mountain Range" by Iko MattOrr:

Very iconic for the dedicated Zelda fanbase, but perhaps a little obscure for casual fans.

Originality: 9/10

The layout is great, and the use of the boulders as a hazard were nice. However, I'd say my favorite aspect of your stage is how seamlessly you transitioned the stage with the Wind Fish. Feels like a true callback to the original game, and I'm sure Zelda fans would absolutely adore this if it were a stage.

The wave of water doesn't really concern me, but those I can see the falling boulders causing some problems for players.

Additionally, I think the upper ledge where the bridge is connected can function as a cave of life in a few situations. Thankfully, you didn't make that ledge extent too far out.

"Tal Tal Heights" by TKOWL:

Very iconic for...

Wait, didn't I already grade this?

(See my comments on the previous stage)

With big stages, I prefer simplier layouts like this as opposed to Palutena's Temple or TGCO. Your stage doesn't provide much aside from the layout, but I still think this is an excellent stage regardless.

Also, I love the details you used to describe the background. Stuff like that always makes a stage more interesting.

Playability: 10/10

This stage was specifically designed for large battles, not 1-on-1 battles. Therefore, I'm going to grade this stage for what it was intended to be.

And honestly, I don't have much to say. Layout is mostly flat, and I don't see many parts of your stage that could pose as a problem worthy of a deduction.

Overall Score: 22/25

TheMarioAddict's grades:

"Picori Stream" by Kevandre:

I don’t think any Zelda game could get a 0 for iconicness, kev (well… maybe the Oracle games). That said, I feel Minish Cap is definitely one of the more forgettable ones, so that lost you a point. Furthermore, unless I’m misreading, this isn’t an actual, specific area from the game, correct? Because. Though stages like that can still be really good, they’re inherently less iconic than specific, memorable locations, so that docked another point.

Originality: 7/10

I’ve mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: I’m not a fan of Omega+ stage layouts, so you lost some points there. However, the weight shifting mechanic is really interesting, and as far as I’m aware not something that’s been played around with much (I mean, I guess there’s the platforms in the Mushroom Kingdom stages, but this works very differently). Plus, being on a lily pad really helps sell the whole “everyone-is-tiny” thing, which is… actually not uncommon in Smash, now that I think about it, but it still feels fresh here! Nicely done, really!

Being able to willingly shift the stage closer to the side blast zones is concerning enough for me to dock a point, but everything else is perfectly reasonable. It’s just Final Destination, after all.

"Hytopia Town" by GolisoPower:

Iconic Status: 2/5

Ok, I was wrong. Triforce Heroes is far and away one of the most forgettable of the Zelda games. Still, it had a unique enough concept behind it that I think people will remember it a little, so that saves you from a straight up 1.

From your description, it seems like you’re expecting me not to like the costume mechanic. But at least as far as originality is concerned, that couldn’t be further from the truth. Not only does it just make sense for this stage, it’s an incredibly fresh idea, which I can tell you put a lot of care and effort into. I admire that, so take a perfect 10 - you deserve it!

Before I get into the costumes, I’ll just quickly mention that I think the stage’s timing is better than previous stages - they’re all a bit on the long side for my tastes, but I think they’re good enough for what they are. The stage layouts seem reasonable too.

Now, the costumes: for the most part, I don’t have a problem with them - the vast majority give simple stat buffs and/or attack effects. But there are certainly some problematic costumes too, mostly involving the ones that replace a character’s grab/throw (Luigi, Isabelle), give them an additional mechanic (Marth, Pac-Man), or add more unusualy properties to their attacks (Olimar, Simon). The biggest offender by far, however, is the Ice Climbers costume. Even with reduced power on your attacks, that thing? That thing is busted. The Ice Climbers work as a duo because they were designed to only work well when together. That costume takes characters who are already competent and gives you another one. Yikes.

So… yeah, that took a couple points off the stage. But everything else is fine, actually.

Overall Score: 20/25

"Lorule Castle" by splat:

Iconic Status: 5/5

Lorule Castle is definitely a memorable location in Zelda. Not only was ALBW a fairly memorable game, the concept of a “dark world” has come up in Zelda time and time again, without any Smash representation. For those reasons alone, this stage definitely earns a 5.

Originality: 2/10

Ok, so “Echo Stages” got a chuckle out of me, and I’ll admit that an “Echo Stage” is technically a unique and original idea, but... let’s not kid ourselves. This is just Hyrule Castle, and it doesn’t do nearly enough different to feel distinct from Hyrule Castle. I know that was the point, but I think the concept may have been flawed from the start. I’d have much rather seen a completely new take on Hyrule (or rather, Lorule) Castle than a copy with minimal edits (Sakurai only gets a pass for Echo Fighters because game development takes time and money). “Echo Stages” scored you one extra point, but… come on man. You had to know this was coming.

Playability: 6/10

I mean, it’s Hyrule Castle, so it has the same problems I have with that stage - it’s on the big side, the wall can be problematic, there’s a cave of life, the center platforms go too close to the ceiling, etc. Still, it makes for decent casual play, especially since we can turn hazards off now.

Overall Score: 13/25

"Tal Tal Mountain Range" by Iko MattOrr:

Tal Tal Heights is a great choice of Zelda level - the giant egg of the Wind Fish is a striking and memorable setpiece from across all of Zelda, and it’s definitely one of the more notable mountain areas (next to Death Mountain, of course). I’m only docking a point because I worry that non fans may not be as quick to recognize it.

My only real problem with originality is that, both visually (well, except for the egg) and layout-wise, this stage feels like an upside-down Gerudo Valley (right down to the breaking bridge). Everything else is great, though. The boulders and the water splash are both interesting and fresh mechanics for Smash stages, and the whole thing just oozes charm! Solidly done, all around!

The water splash covers a lot of the stage, as do the boulders (though they’re a bit more acceptable, since they’re player-triggered). Additionally, I think the sides of the bottom platform could be camped a fair bit due to the caves of life formed by the platform above (not the bridge part). The rest seems fine, though.

"Tal Tal Heights" by TKOWL:

[See my comments on Iko MattOrr’s stage]

Originality: 9/10

This is a nice departure from most big stages - namely in that the vast majority of the platforms are drop-through as opposed to solid. That’ll play a bigger role in the Playability section than it does here, but for now just know that I appreciate the change. Aside from that, your stage gives us a good look at all of Tal Tal Heights, which has a very distinct feel from many other Zelda stages in turn (it really feels like being on a mountain, for one). Even without hazards, this is a prime example of a great stage. Nicely done!

I’ve said it before, but big stages are inherently less playable than small ones. Yes, they work really well for eight player matches, and in those instances your stage is really good. But for less players, it just becomes a chore to navigate. That said, you made the smart choice to have most of your platforms be drop through instead of solid, and that does wonders! It eliminates caves of life, opens up the options for a player to approach another player, and just all around feels better to play on. The size is still an issue, but beyond that I’ve no complaints!

Total Scores:

Kevandre: 52 points

GolisoPower: 60 points

splat: 48 points

Iko Matt0rr: 63 points

TKOWL: 63 points

The Winner Is...................
Green Team

I mean we're talking Zelda here, so Green Team fits for this two-way tie. And Golden Goddesses above what a tie it is. Sharing the victory this round are the same location stages of.......

Tal Tal Mountain Range by Iko Matt0rr

AND

Tal Tal Heights by TKOWL

WOW!!!!!! INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Congrats to Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr and TKOWL TKOWL for their Tal Tal Heights stages!

Also, to anyone from the round: throughout the whole round, no one got my Kill La Kill reference at the end? Well, heck.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Congrats to Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr and TKOWL TKOWL for their Tal Tal Heights stages!

Also, to anyone from the round: throughout the whole round, no one got my Kill La Kill reference at the end? Well, heck.
So you were referencing that. That's the only thing that came to mind for me but I didn't see how it would fit in with the rest of the post so I wasn't sure.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Wow, thank you so much!!
At the end the two Tal Tal stages won, that's a nice surprise!
I'm happy of the result, thank you!
EDIT: I forgot to say that all the entries are cool and this thread as a whole is a great source of inspiration for creative concepts.

This thread is cool, I hope to find the time for making that entry for the Anything Goes 2 round.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Casino_Night_Zone.png

Stage Name:
Casino Night Zone

Origin:
Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Gimmicks and Hazards:
Pinball, bumpers, slot machine

Description:

VIVAAAAAAA LAS VEGAS! Uh, I mean, Casino Night Zone. Yeah...that's...what I meant...anyways, this is the first level in a long line of Sonic games to uphold a tradition: the casino levels, which have pinball levels in themselves. This stage is modeled after them. As you can see here, Casino Night Zone is a blend between horizontal and vertical, having a perfectly square KO zone 50% bigger than the stage. The gimmick here is that this is a pinball level in itself. There are bumpers about a quarter the size of the Bumper item, pinball flippers that propel you upwards and a plunger platform that shoots you up to the near top of the screen at max charge. But the piece de resistance in this stage is the slot machine itself. Above the character UI's are an individual Ring count. These rings can only be obtained through the slot machine, of which the metal cage above the slots opens every 30 seconds. If no one enters within the next 15 seconds, it will close and won't open for another 30 seconds. If one does enter the metal cage, they test their luck, being completely invulnerable throughout. If they gain 100 rings, they'll gain an extra point/stock in that game. The slots can have many outcomes:

1. 1 Bar: 2 Rings
  2. 2 Bars: 4 Rings
  3. 3 Bars: 8 Rings
  4. 3 Tails: 20 Rings
  5. 3 Knuckles: 25 Rings
  6. 3 Sonics: 30 Rings
  7. 3 Jackpots: 100 Rings
  8. 3 Robotniks: Lose all rings you are currently holding. Take .5% damage for each ring lost. If you don't have any Rings, then the cage just releases you.
  9. Otherwise: Nothing.
After the results have been given, you'll be released from your cage and can act out of release. Now then...you guys feelin' lucky? Did I win the whole pot or did I show my hand too early?

Unlockable?:
Yes. Collect 100 Coins as Sonic in Golden Plains

Music:
Casino Night Zone Medley
Casino Night Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 2)
Frozen Factory Act 3 (Sonic Lost World)
Carnival Night Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 3)
Studiopolis Zone (Sonic Mania)
Casino Park (Sonic Heroes)

Last edited:

Primid

Smash Apprentice
MARBLE ZONE
(from Sonic the Hedgehog)

I'd be lying if I said I was well-versed in the Sonic franchise but I've always been a fan of the 2D games (the very first game and Sonic CD being my favorites). I've played the original countless times and I always loved the levels in the original game, especially Marble Zone, so why not recreate it as a stage?

The layout definitely caters towards casual players and serves as an epic battlefield for 8-player Smash as well. Just like the original level, there are two layers, with grassy ruins serving as the ground level with marble stone and fiery lava lurking beneath the surface. The top is a relatively safe area for fighters to duke it out; the same cannot be said for the underground portion however!

Two large lava flows book-end the sides of the stage and opponents will be KO'd if they touch the lava at higher percentages just like in The Great Cave Offensive stage. The two spiked pendulums move on their own and will drop down quickly when they reach the top of their chain. Colliding with the spikes will result in high damage! There is also a block on the left side of the stage that moves in and out of the lava flow, so be careful not to stand on it for too long! I should also note that the two platforms leading to the surface and the one over the gap at the bottom of the stage are pass-through, while the blocks on the right side are not.

This lower area is designed to be very chaotic and I'm sure it would lead to some interesting scenarios while playing with friends!

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
MARBLE ZONE
(from Sonic the Hedgehog)

I'd be lying if I said I was well-versed in the Sonic franchise but I've always been a fan of the 2D games (the very first game and Sonic CD being my favorites). I've played the original countless times and I always loved the levels in the original game, especially Marble Zone, so why not recreate it as a stage?

The layout definitely caters towards casual players and serves as an epic battlefield for 8-player Smash as well. Just like the original level, there are two layers, with grassy ruins serving as the ground level and marble stone and fiery lava lurking beneath the surface. The top is a relatively safe area for fighters to duke it out; the same cannot be said for the underground portion however!

Two large lava flows book-end the sides of the stage and opponents will be KO'd if they touch the lava at higher percentages just like in The Great Cave Offensive stage. The two spiked pendulums move on their own and will drop down quickly when they reach the top of their chain. Colliding with the spikes will result in high damage! There is also a block on the left side of the stage that moves in and out of the lava flow, so be careful not to stand on it for too long! This area is very chaotic and I'm sure it would lead to some interesting scenarios while playing with friends.

This might be the first time anyone has said that they liked Marble Zone. I like your stage- Like a good version of Great Cave Offensive.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Wait, seriously? That’s my favorite level in Sonic 1
It's my understanding that most people feel that it's the worst because it brings the speed of the game to a grinding halt in a game that's supposed to specifically be about speed

I'm not personally a big fan of 2D Sonic anyway but that's what I've gathered from many people

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
"ROOFTOP RUN"
from Sonic Unleashed

Yes, I chose to do a stage from that game. Located in the city of Spagonia, Rooftop Run is one of the most memorable action stages in Sonic Unleashed. Its first appearance was in this game, but it has since appeared in Sonic Generations and will also be featured as a racetrack in the upcoming Team Sonic Racing, thus solidifying itself as an iconic locale in the Sonic universe.

My version is fairly straightforward. It consists of two buildings, with a convenient wooden scaffold connecting them together. Above each of the buildings are grind rails, which have become staples in many of the 3D Sonic games. The notable thing about these rails is they are a bit slippery, and you can slide up and down on them if you have some momentum going (think something along the lines of Fountain of Dreams in terms of slipperiness levels). As always, here is a better representation of the collisions:

The green depicts pass-through platforms, and the red depicts solid ground. You can also grab the outer ledges of each building.

One of the things that Sonic Unleashed is known for is its day and night variations of each stage, with the day stages focusing on regular ol' Sonic and his speed. But during nighttime segments, you assume his "Were-hog" form and the focus becomes more about platforming and beating up enemies. I decided to incorporate this idea into my stage. About a minute into the match, the sun will set in the background and the stage will become its nighttime variation.

You can see that the middle section's aqueduct and scaffolding have disappeared along with the grind rails. In their place, several decorative platforms will appear instead. These platforms are pass-through and will move slowly up and down on fixed path. Here's a better depiction of the collisions as well as a rough estimation of the platform's paths:

Pink represents pass-through platforms this time and red still shows solid ground. Also shown here with the arrows are the projected platform's paths. You can grab all sides of the buildings here too.

The full moon's out, so you may even hear a ominous howl from time to time on this version if you're paying attention... Anyways, it will stay on this layout for roughly a minute before cycling back to the daytime version. All in all, it's a pretty simple stage, but I think it represents the two-fold nature of the levels in the source game.

Unlockable: Yes. Play a match as Sonic between 12:00am-1:00am on Fourside.

Music:
The following songs will switch between their day and night versions as the stage transitions:
Spagonia - Rooftop Run Day / Night
Holoska - Cool Edge Day / Night
Eggmanland - Crimson Carnival Day / Night
Apotos - Windmill Isle Day / Night

Other included songs:
Boss - Perfect Dark Gaia
Boss - Solaris Phase 2 (Sonic 06)
Molten Mine (Sonic and the Black Knight)
Crystal Cave (Sonic and the Black Knight)

Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:

apaulieg

Smash Rookie
Name of Stage:
Chao World

Game of Origin:
Sonic Adventure 2

Description of Stage: Chao Lobby:

Chao World begins at the Chao Lobby, the entryway to any of the Chao Gardens in Sonic Adventure 2. Start the stage on a medium-sized grounded platform that has golden edges but otherwise is transparant. Much like the new Great Plateau stage, there is a center area of the stage can be passed under, but the dome at the top is solid. There are two stationary rainbow platforms on the stage to represent the staircases leading to the chao gardens. You can die by falling off the stage, being hit off either side, or from the ceiling.

Stage Gimmick: Chao Lobby
Under the teardrop-shaped dome is a slightly elevated, glowing floor. This serves as a button. Once every player in the match has touched the button, the stage teleports you to a Chao Garden - and the Chao Garden chosen always depends upon the fighters involved. It's not so much a traveling stage as it is a shape-shifting stage! If you don't want to risk going to one of the gardens, try your best to not touch or get knocked into the very center of the stage!

There are three Chao Gardens in Sonic Adventure 2 (and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle): The Chao Garden (proper), the Hero Garden, and the Dark Garden. In Super Smash Bros Ultimate, every character has a hidden "alignment." For the sake of the Nintendo Direct, new characters are written in a font the exact same color as the background - highlight the text to see. I can't figure out spoilers!

HERO: Peach, Rosalina/Luma, Zelda, Kirby, Lucas, Fox, Link, Young Link, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Pit, Palutena, Ice Climbers, Marth, Chrom, Ike, Isabelle, Pichu, nobody else

NEUTRAL: Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Daisy, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Toon Link, King Dedede, Samus, Zero-Suit Samus, Captain Falcon, Ness, Falco, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucina, Robin, Roy, Corrin, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Pac Man, Mega Man, Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, Ryu, Cloud, Shulk, Mii Fighters, Sonic, Olimar, Ken

DARK: Bowser, Bowser Jr., King K. Rool, Ganondorf, Sheik, Meta Knight, Ridley, Dark Samus, Wolf, Wario, Mewtwo, Greninja, Dark Pit, Mr. Game & Watch, Snake, Inklings, Bayonetta, Incineroar, Piranha Plant

If there are an even number of players in each category, there is a 1/3 chance of being teleported to any garden. If there is a majority in favor of one garden, there is a 90% chance of being teleported there and a 5% chance of each of the other gardens. If two are tied, there is a 50% chance of each of those gardens being selected.

Stage Gimmick: Chao Eggs in the Chao Gardens
When you enter a Chao Garden, that's the stage you're at for the rest of the fight - until five Chao hatch. How do Chao hatch? A stage-specific item that appears in any of the three gardens (but not the Chao Lobby) is a Chao Egg. When you see one, pick it up and you will hold it over your head, just like the Special Flag item. After three seconds, the egg hatches into a Chao which flies into the background and cheers you on! It will be happy whenever you score a good hit and sad whenever you take damage. If you are damaged while holding the egg, it drops but counts the hold time. Hatching three eggs will give you an additional point or life.

When all five eggs have appeared and hatched, the five chao will do a dance in the background and a mysterious light will eminate from between them. The light will gradually consume the stage, and you'll return to the Chao Lobby.

Description of Stage: Chao Garden:

If you were sent to the Chao Garden, congrats! You're in the most unique garden-stage of the three Chao Gardens. It's essentially a green, flat field. The entire right side of the stage is blocked off due to a mountainside with flat plateaus, and a (cosmetic) waterfall runs down them into a pool inaccessible to players. You can hop onto these flat plateaus, but the walls are totally solid, and it puts you at risk of being launched out the top of the stage. Additionally, while you cannot fall on the right side of the stage, you CAN fall off the left side and bottom-left.

The stage is set up somewhat similarly to Yoshi's Island (Melee). There are also trees in the background and foreground - occasionally the fruit on them will fall. This is purely cosmetic and is not in the plane on which you fight.

Description of Stage: Hero Garden:

If you were sent to the Hero Garden, enjoy! It's the most traditional of any of the stages - it's also the most boring. It's just one large flat platform, and there are no floating platforms. The platform rides through the sky slowly circling the Hero Garden from above. I chose this to be the basic stage because I found the Hero Garden to be the largest and most beautiful of the chao gardens, so this way you get good views of the mountain, the broken arch, the pond and stream, and pink clouds on the horizon. Because it's a large floating platform, you can die from being launched up, to either side, or below the stage.

The platform is solid and you can grab onto the ledges, though the pink clouds surrounding the platform are meant indicate you can smash through the solid part. When each third of the platform takes enough damage, the marble-like portion breaks. From there, the platform acts much like the clouds of Skyworld - you can jump and recover through them, you can't grab onto the ledge anymore, and a hard enough spike will shoot you down to your death. This stage favors characters with agile recovery, many of those being characters with the Hero alignment.

Description of Stage: Dark Garden:

If you were sent to the Dark Garden, good luck! The garden is creepy and has a warped perspective - the platform at the bottom is the flat ground of the garden, but the background curves as if the ground you see behind you is connected to the plane on which you are fighting. It's just a creepy illusion - for the purpose of the image, I created a purple box around the bottom plane.

Additionally, the entire stage is enclosed on either side, similarly to Shadow Moses Island. The left side is blocked by a wall, and the right is blocked by a large tree which has branches that are not on the plane as you (so you will always pass in front or behind the branches if launched into the branches). The cage in the tree is a unique platform that can be entered and exited at free will, but the internal walls of the cage suddenly solidify if you are knocked into them via knockback. That means if you get knocked into the cage you'll ricochet off the walls rapidly until you eventually fall to the floor or tech land - then you can exit by walking or jumping out. You can only blast out of this stage from the top, so this stage favors many of the heavy hitters that are in the Dark Alignment.

Is your stage unlockable:
Yes it is! It would be unlocked by both having Sonic as a character and by playing Vs. Matches where all the characters in it (whether two player, four player, or eight player) are all of the same alignment. That means the easiest way of unlocking it would be to unlock Sonic, then do two player one stock battles of something like: Link v. Kirby, then Sonic v. Mario, and then Bowser v. Sheik.

Extra Stuff:
The Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination versions of this stage will randomly select one of four stages! You'll either appear in the Chao Lobby, Chao Garden, Dark Garden, or Hero Garden - but these are all aesthetically the same. You cannot switch location, and the Chao Egg gimmick is gone. Turning off Stage Hazards disables your ability to destroy the platform in the Hero Garden and also removes the cage from the Dark Garden, though the teleporter and Chao Hatching functions remain.

Potential Music:
-Chao Lobby (Sonic Adventure 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcxNwdZlQT8
-Chao Lobby (Sonic Generations Remix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5MzifhYBUw
-Chao Karate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32HQQufAK3Q
-Chao Race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdD7HaFEJzc
-Chao Garden from Sonic Adventure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sEIqtW32Uc
-[Chao Gardens... would need to be both a medley and remix so it wasn't so sleepy]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzmlZGjHvdo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuTl4Bqp58s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYISm6uY9fw
-Tiny Chao Garden theme from Sonic Advance (would probably need to be a remix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJi-s6gqxSI
-Lovers (Sonic the Fighters): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycb2brdYS1w&index=21&list=PL6akIKaXBeU01Yp705YCBiykawBoHbGEh
-Blue Garden (Sonic the Fighters): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP81QZKnE4Q&list=PL6akIKaXBeU01Yp705YCBiykawBoHbGEh&index=3
-Try Again (Sonic the Fighters): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DDpppniWGM&t=56s

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Name of Stage:
Chao World

Game of Origin:
Sonic Adventure 2

Chao World begins at the Chao Lobby, the entryway to any of the Chao Gardens in Sonic Adventure 2. Start the stage on a medium-sized grounded platform that has golden edges but otherwise is transparant. Much like the new Great Plateau stage, there is a center area of the stage can be passed under, but the dome at the top is solid. There are two stationary rainbow platforms on the stage to represent the staircases leading to the chao gardens. You can die by falling off the stage, being hit off either side, or from the ceiling.

Under the teardrop-shaped dome is a slightly elevated, glowing floor. This serves as a button. Once every player in the match has touched the button, the stage teleports you to a Chao Garden - and the Chao Garden chosen always depends upon the fighters involved. It's not so much a traveling stage as it is a shape-shifting stage! If you don't want to risk going to one of the gardens, try your best to not touch or get knocked into the very center of the stage!

There are three Chao Gardens in Sonic Adventure 2 (and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle): The Chao Garden (proper), the Hero Garden, and the Dark Garden. In Super Smash Bros Ultimate, every character has a hidden "alignment."

HERO: Peach, Rosalina/Luma, Zelda, Kirby, Lucas, Fox, Link, Young Link, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Pit, Palutena, Ice Climbers, Marth, Chrom, Ike, Isabelle, Pichu
NEUTRAL: Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Daisy, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Toon Link, King Dedede, Samus, Zero-Suit Samus, Captain Falcon, Ness, Falco, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucina, Robin, Roy, Corrin, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Pac Man, Mega Man, Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, Ryu, Cloud, Shulk, Mii Fighters, Sonic, Olimar
DARK: Bowser, Bowser Jr., King K. Rool, Ganondorf, Sheik, Meta Knight, Ridley, Dark Samus, Wolf, Wario, Mewtwo, Greninja, Dark Pit, Mr. Game & Watch, Snake, Inklings, Bayonetta

If there are an even number of players in each category, there is a 1/3 chance of being teleported to any garden. If there is a majority in favor of one garden, there is a 90% chance of being teleported there and a 5% chance of each of the other gardens. If two are tied, there is a 50% chance of each of those gardens being selected.

When you enter a Chao Garden, that's the stage you're at for the rest of the fight - until five Chao hatch. How do Chao hatch? A stage-specific item that appears in any of the three gardens (but not the Chao Lobby) is a Chao Egg. When you see one, pick it up and you will hold it over your head, just like the Special Flag item. After three seconds, the egg hatches into a Chao which flies into the background and cheers you on! It will be happy whenever you score a good hit and sad whenever you take damage. If you are damaged while holding the egg, it drops but counts the hold time. Hatching three eggs will give you an additional point or life.

When all five eggs have appeared and hatched, the five chao will do a dance in the background and a mysterious light will eminate from between them. The light will gradually consume the stage, and you'll return to the Chao Lobby.

If you were sent to the Chao Garden, congrats! You're in the most unique garden-stage of the three Chao Gardens. It's essentially a green, flat field. The entire right side of the stage is blocked off due to a mountainside with flat plateaus, and a (cosmetic) waterfall runs down them into a pool inaccessible to players. You can hop onto these flat plateaus, but the walls are totally solid, and it puts you at risk of being launched out the top of the stage. Additionally, while you cannot fall on the right side of the stage, you CAN fall off the left side and bottom-left.

The stage is set up somewhat similarly to Yoshi's Island (Melee). There are also trees in the background and foreground - occasionally the fruit on them will fall. This is purely cosmetic and is not in the plane on which you fight.

If you were sent to the Hero Garden, enjoy! It's the most traditional of any of the stages - it's also the most boring. It's just one large flat platform, and there are no floating platforms. The platform rides through the sky slowly circling the Hero Garden from above. I chose this to be the basic stage because I found the Hero Garden to be the largest and most beautiful of the chao gardens, so this way you get good views of the mountain, the broken arch, the pond and stream, and pink clouds on the horizon. Because it's a large floating platform, you can die from being launched up, to either side, or below the stage.

The platform is solid and you can grab onto the ledges, though the pink clouds surrounding the platform are meant indicate you can smash through the solid part. When each third of the platform takes enough damage, the marble-like portion breaks. From there, the platform acts much like the clouds of Skyworld - you can jump and recover through them, you can't grab onto the ledge anymore, and a hard enough spike will shoot you down to your death. This stage favors characters with agile recovery, many of those being characters with the Hero alignment.

If you were sent to the Dark Garden, good luck! The garden is creepy and has a warped perspective - the platform at the bottom is the flat ground of the garden, but the background curves as if the ground you see behind you is connected to the plane on which you are fighting. It's just a creepy illusion - for the purpose of the image, I created a purple box around the bottom plane.

Additionally, the entire stage is enclosed on either side, similarly to Shadow Moses Island. The left side is blocked by a wall, and the right is blocked by a large tree which has branches that are not on the plane as you (so you will always pass in front or behind the branches if launched into the branches). The cage in the tree is a unique platform that can be entered and exited at free will, but the internal walls of the cage suddenly solidify if you are knocked into them via knockback. That means if you get knocked into the cage you'll ricochet off the walls rapidly until you eventually fall to the floor or tech land - then you can exit by walking or jumping out. You can only blast out of this stage from the top, so this stage favors many of the heavy hitters that are in the Dark Alignment.

Yes it is! It would be unlocked by both having Sonic as a character and by playing Vs. Matches where all the characters in it (whether two player, four player, or eight player) are all of the same alignment. That means the easiest way of unlocking it would be to unlock Sonic, then do two player one stock battles of something like: Link v. Kirby, then Sonic v. Mario, and then Bowser v. Sheik.

Extra Stuff:
The Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination versions of this stage will randomly select one of four stages! You'll either appear in the Chao Lobby, Chao Garden, Dark Garden, or Hero Garden - but these are all aesthetically the same. You cannot switch location, and the Chao Egg gimmick is gone. Turning off Stage Hazards disables your ability to destroy the platform in the Hero Garden and also removes the cage from the Dark Garden, though the teleporter and Chao Hatching functions remain.

Potential Music:
-Chao Lobby (I can imagine the original version in as well as a rock remix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcxNwdZlQT8
-[Chao Gardens... would need to be both a medley and remix so it wasn't so sleepy]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzmlZGjHvdo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuTl4Bqp58s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYISm6uY9fw
-Tiny Chao Garden theme from Sonic Advance (would probably need to be a remix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJi-s6gqxSI
-Lovers (Sonic the Fighters): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycb2brdYS1w&index=21&list=PL6akIKaXBeU01Yp705YCBiykawBoHbGEh
-Blue Garden (Sonic the Fighters): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP81QZKnE4Q&list=PL6akIKaXBeU01Yp705YCBiykawBoHbGEh&index=3
Hell of a first post, man. Great stage, and welcome to the site!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Name of Stage:
Chao World

Game of Origin:
Sonic Adventure 2

There are three Chao Gardens in Sonic Adventure 2 (and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle): The Chao Garden (proper), the Hero Garden, and the Dark Garden. In Super Smash Bros Ultimate, every character has a hidden "alignment."

HERO: Peach, Rosalina/Luma, Zelda, Kirby, Lucas, Fox, Link, Young Link, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Pit, Palutena, Ice Climbers, Marth, Chrom, Ike, Isabelle, Pichu
NEUTRAL: Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Daisy, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Toon Link, King Dedede, Samus, Zero-Suit Samus, Captain Falcon, Ness, Falco, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucina, Robin, Roy, Corrin, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Pac Man, Mega Man, Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, Ryu, Cloud, Shulk, Mii Fighters, Sonic, Olimar
DARK: Bowser, Bowser Jr., King K. Rool, Ganondorf, Sheik, Meta Knight, Ridley, Dark Samus, Wolf, Wario, Mewtwo, Greninja, Dark Pit, Mr. Game & Watch, Snake, Inklings, Bayonetta

Extra Stuff:

Potential Music:
-Chao Lobby (I can imagine the original version in as well as a rock remix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcxNwdZlQT8
DAAAAMN, dude, this is your first time participating? This looks like an amazing stage!

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Wait, seriously? That’s my favorite level in Sonic 1
Name of Stage:
Chao World

Game of Origin:
Sonic Adventure 2

Extra Stuff:

Potential Music:
Interesting take on a traveling stage, seems like a really unique concept! Also welcome to the Boards!

Top Bottom