• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Patch 2.0.0 is Almost Here

Ultimate_Patch_2.jpg

On January 25th, 2019, Nintendo announced that the patch 2.0.0 update for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be distributed sometime within a week from now.

Much like the previous patch, we know very little about patch 2.0.0, the only known information is that replays made in earlier patches won’t be compatible anymore. If you want to keep your replays, it’s recommended to convert them to videos before you download patch 2.0.0. While that’s all the information we currently know, we can reasonably assume there will be gameplay adjustments in some form due to the replays not being compatible, but whether those are balance changes or just bug-fixes is up in the air. Something else to note is that the number jumped up all the way up to 2.0.0, which indicates that this patch will likely bring larger changes than before, and with that in mind it doesn’t seem too far-fetched of a possibility for this patch to be the one that adds Piranha Plant to Smash Ultimate.

Author’s Note: What are you hoping will or won’t happen in 2.0.0? Are you like the author and hope there won’t be any major nerfs in this update?

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

Since it’s 2.0.0 instead of 1.X.X, I’m hoping it brings along some big changes.

-Probably plenty of balances to characters.
-Possibly Piranha Plant, since it’s a big update.
-Maybe previously cut modes, like Home Run Contest and Stage Builder, return?

There’s a lot that can happen in this update.

Not to mention all of the updated code for possible DLC.

Last edited:
D
My prediction: of the many things to potentially change, they will buff my girls :ultbayonetta1::ultrosalina: so that they have better KO potential. Relax, y'all, I do not want them to entirely return to their Smash 4 selves, so put away the pitchforks.

Other than that, we want to see the good :ultpiranha:. I do not even have the game yet but I cannot wait to see what he can do! New secondary incoming! Oh, and I hope for the return of Stadium modes like some of y'all.

Sayonara :kirby:

View attachment 188578

On January 25th, 2019, Nintendo announced that the patch 2.0.0 update for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be distributed sometime within a week from now.

Much like the previous patch, we know very little about patch 2.0.0, the only known information is that replays made in earlier patches won’t be compatible anymore. If you want to keep your replays, it’s recommended to convert them to videos before you download patch 2.0.0. While that’s all the information we currently know, we can reasonably assume there will be gameplay adjustments in some form due to the replays not being compatible, but whether those are balance changes or just bug-fixes is up in the air. Something else to note is that the number jumped up all the way up to 2.0.0, which indicates that this patch will likely bring larger changes than before, and with that in mind it doesn’t seem too far-fetched of a possibility for this patch to be the one that adds Piranha Plant to Smash Ultimate.

Author’s Note: What are you hoping will or won’t happen in 2.0.0? Are you like the author and hope there won’t be any major nerfs in this update?
Not getting my hopes up, but it would obviously be amazing if they actually listened to at least some of the complaints about online and added:
1) Changing characters between quickplay rematches
2) Changing characters in arenas w/o getting out of line
3) Ability to decline a quickplay match based on rules
4) Ability for arena host to adjust rules and then have a popup notifying players of the rule change
5) Fix the quickplay glitch where it switches you to the default appearance between matches when you had an alt selected
6) Online Squad Strike, maybe not for quickplay but definitely arenas

Gameplay/Balance:
Modify the stale moves mechanic to not only decrease damage and knockback but also increase the end lag of ground moves and landing lag of aerials. This would reduce spamming and improve balance without buffing or nerfing any specific characters or moves.

Last edited:
View attachment 188578

I’m hoping for a few things.
1. No nerfs
2. Buffs to Samus/dark samus
3. Update to online play so it’s much less laggy
4. Home Run Contest

Not getting my hopes up, but it would obviously be amazing if they actually listened to at least some of the complaints about online and added:
1) Changing characters between quickplay rematches
2) Changing characters in arenas w/o getting out of line
3) Ability to decline a quickplay match based on rules
4) Ability for arena host to adjust rules and then have a popup notifying players of the rule change
5) Fix the quickplay glitch where it switches you to the default appearance between matches when you had an alt selected
6) Online Squad Strike, maybe not for quickplay but definitely arenas

Gameplay/Balance:
Modify the stale moves mechanic to not only decrease damage and knockback but also increase the end lag of ground moves and landing lag of aerials. This would reduce spamming and improve balance without buffing or nerfing any specific characters or moves.
...Do you actually think they can do that?
Hope they finally remove Jigglypuff this patch. That bug has been in the game too long.
May your life be a continuous spiral of misery.

Piranha plant was scheduled to be released early February so I don't know.

Prediction; inkling, the Belmonts, pichu, pikachu, chrom, ike, snake, falco, k.rool, peach and a couple others that people frequently complain about (whether really justified or not) will get nerfs.

I could possibly see some of those above get a mix of nerfs and buffs(Belmonts recovery) to try to make them feel a bit less “extreme” in their advantages and disadvantages, but ultimately i see more nerfs handed out than anything.

NOTE: I’m not strongly in favor of any major nerfs on anyone yet(though I wouldn’t oppose any buffs, I’m mostly indifferent atm) all this is, is a prediction on my part based on what I constantly see people going on about on forums, twitter, YouTube, etc. Nintendo likely has heard some very vocal people, and so regardless of whether the characters truly need it or not, i see Nintendo nerfing someone.

Last edited:
I don’t know if I want balance changes yet. It still seems really early.

Except for Splat Roller, nerf that ****.
Personally, I would drastically increase its startup (to around ~30 frames), but give it light armor (up to ~10%). That way it's still a threatening move from a distance, but it can't just be thrown out at point-blank range for a cheesy kill.

Last edited:
I hope they fix the weird glitch where Waluigi and Isaac don't show up on the CSS.

In all seriousness, I hope they don't nerf too many things. One of the problems with Smash 4 was that the developers patched out every reliable option that everyone complained about, and that made the game really slow.

My dream patch:

-A bit more hitstun (10%-ish increase, just so there can be better combo potential)
-Roller (You know what I want changed on this...)
-Buff a few characters who need it (Specifically Pac-Man and Bayo; my bias is showing ^_^ I hated Bayo in Smash 4, but I think they overdid the nerfs in Ultimate. At least give her a decent kill option.)
-P̧̨͞ļ̵a̷̸̸n͘͏͟t̵͟͝

Last edited:
Not going to lie, I'm a bit worried about the whole "let's balance off elite smash" thing. Hopefully they take tournament play into consideration but like, imagine if they just go by online quickplay results and look at which characters have high win and loss ratios online and we end up getting weird stuff like a ton of Pichu buffs or a bunch of Kirby nerfs.
Hope they finally remove Jigglypuff this patch. That bug has been in the game too long.
"Jigglypuff has been removed from the game.
We have added Melee Jigglypuff in her place."-Patch 2.0.0 notes

I'm just curious if they'll somehow add Piranha Plant to Adventure Mode, and how...just to see if DLC characters will be added there and how they'll be handled.

I'm just curious if they'll somehow add Piranha Plant to Adventure Mode, and how...just to see if DLC characters will be added there and how they'll be handled.
Unlikely. They'll probably just be instantly unlocked for use in WoL with no battle in-game.

Piranha plant was scheduled to be released early February so I don't know.
February 1st is technically part of next week, so it could drop then.

But if Piranha Plant doesn’t come in this update, we know that another update will come very soon after this one.

Do you all think we should expect data of another character to be found in the code?
It all depends on how far in development the DLC is at this point.

It’s definitely possible that the stats for the characters we’ve known about (specifically Brave) could change.

As for another DLC character, that’s a bit of a toss up.

Last edited:
I want to believe that this means that the reign of the plant is soon beginning... but I must temper my expectations.

Hopefully the puff (no not that puff) (Kirby) and Ryu gets some buffs/changes. Kirby is pathetic where he stands currently and Ken is just a better version of Ryu.

Prediction; inkling, the Belmonts, pichu, pikachu, chrom, ike, snake, falco, k.rool, peach and a couple others that people frequently complain about (whether really justified or not) will get nerfs.
Nah dude, Pikachu literally has only been improving since he started smash. I’d hate to see his time in the spotlight end so quickly, especially after fox had an entire generation to himself. Also it what world does Falco need a nerf? He literally is trash compared to at least 10 characters on that roster. Also I’d rather not have Peach nerfed after being ass for so long. Top tier is here to stay this time. Toon Link already got kind of crapped on, and I don’t want my other mains to face the same fate. Literally y’all are just asking for these characters to get nerfed to all hell in smash 6, kinda like Bayonetta was now. Why not just make other characters better instead?

Last edited:
lTop tier is here to stay this time.
That’s a pretty outlandish claim to make considering that there hasn’t even been a balance patch (or an agreed-on tier list) yet.
Why not just make other characters better instead?
Do people who say this not realize how much more expensive it would be to buff all of the bad characters instead of just nerfing the dumbest ones and buffing the poorest ones?

It would never happen in a million years, but I'd love to see a patch with comprehensive buffs to many low and bottom tiers like Bowser Jr, Pac-Man, and Kirby. Not just random power -ups on their moves, but actual buffs that can make more combos and fix the characters worst flaws instead of giving the arbitrarily stronger moves

Last edited:
I think parries should be buffed. There are certain multihits that can't be parried, so It'd be nice if they made it to where they can be if you're able to time your inputs well enough.

Nah dude, Pikachu literally has only been improving since he started smash. I’d hate to see his time in the spotlight end so quickly, especially after fox had an entire generation to himself. Also it what world does Falco need a nerf? He literally is trash compared to at least 10 characters on that roster. Also I’d rather not have Peach nerfed after being *** for so long. Top tier is here to stay this time. Toon Link already got kind of crapped on, and I don’t want my other mains to face the same fate. Literally y’all are just asking for these characters to get nerfed to all hell in smash 6kinda like Bayonetta was now. Why not just make other characters better instead?
Apparently you didn’t read my entire post.

Go back and do so.

Last edited:
Generally, focus on buffing characters, not nerfing.
And Patch Notes would be very nice.

There’s a lot that can happen in this update.

Not to mention all of the updated code for possible DLC.
I would definitely be happy to see HRC and stage builder. After all, this game is supposed to be ultimate.

Last edited:
1) Slight Balance Changes - I don't expect there to be any nerfs (except maybe King K Rool due to mid level player complaints). Hopefully lower tier characters get buffs.
2) Ability to Co-op Quickplay between two players in separate locations.
3) Ability to play battle arena with friend on shared screen.
4) Changing characters between quickplay rematches
5) Changing characters in arenas w/o getting out of line
6) Ability for arena host to adjust rules and then have a popup notifying players of the rule change
7) Fix the quickplay glitch where it switches you to the default appearance between matches when you had an alt selected

I think parries should be buffed. There are certain multihits that can't be parried, so It'd be nice if they made it to where they can be if you're able to time your inputs well enough.
As far as I'm concerned a parry should stop multi-hit attacks in their tracks. The attack shouldn't continue after the parry. But parries are a complete non-concern for most of the player base so I doubt there will ever be a change there.

Top Bottom