• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Patch 1.2.0 Released

Patch_is_out.jpg

Today, Patch 1.2.0 for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was released, notably two days after the patch’s announcement on December 11th, 2018.

Patch 1.2.0 includes:
  • Game balance alterations
  • Adjustments to challenger difficulty
  • Better communication between systems in arenas
  • Changes to preferred rulesets
Your preferences for online matchmaking are said to have higher priority, so you should be more likely to find a match with the ruleset you want, however the patch notes also state it might take a little longer than usual to find matches now. There were also multiple fighters noted as having been changed, these characters being:
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Kirby
  • Luigi
  • Ice Climbers
  • Young Link
  • Olimar
  • Toon Link
  • Villager
  • Greninja
  • Pac-Man
  • Duck Hunt
  • Isabelle
We don’t know what changes these characters got or if they have been nerfed or buffed, but you can keep up with the changes as the community finds them on the patch notes thread.

Author’s Note: Are you like the author and are happy to see that the system for preferred rulesets has changed? Please let us know in the comments below!

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

Wow, they actually have patch notes now! Better yet. they actually list the characters that are getting changed! Getting closer to the 21st century there, Nintendo!

Nice they tell us what characters got changed, but I still wish it was like Splatoon 2 or Mario Tennis Aces or ARMS, where they tell us What actually changed

Wow, they actually have patch notes now! Better yet. they actually list the characters that are getting changed! Getting closer to the 21st century there, Nintendo!
Right? lol. Holy crap. Maybe the reason why they don't describe the changes is because of translation issues. Did you see the DBFZ patch notes where Yamcha got some really really funny changes in English? I can't remember what it was but it was super explicit and hilarious.

Right? lol. Holy crap. Maybe the reason why they don't describe the changes is because of translation issues. Did you see the DBFZ patch notes where Yamcha got some really really funny changes in English? I can't remember what it was but it was super explicit and hilarious.
I wouldn't imagine the Japanese patch notes would describe the exact character changes either, but maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. Nintendo's weird sometimes. Also, I don't play DBFZ, so I'm not sure. But if you can find those notes, let me know, I'd like to see them.

Maybe we'll get precise patch notes when SSB6 comes out
Yeah, maybe. But then Nintendo will find something else to not get with the times with.

Last edited:
You hurt Isabelle, I hurt you.

(JK, but I hope she doesn't get nerfed)

Last edited:
I wouldn't imagine the Japanese patch notes would describe the exact character changes either, but maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. Nintendo's weird sometimes. Also, I don't play DBFZ, so I'm not sure. But if you can find those notes, let me know, I'd like to see them.
Trying really hard to find them right now lol. I know they got deleted but someone out there must have saved it.

Last edited:
I know right? Even competitive players thought they were hard, new players probably couldn't even unlock anyone
It's strange because I don't consider myself that good (experienced veteran scrublord) but I feel like I had very little issue unlocking people. I used like for almost everybody and one time the door open and went on a 7 or 8 win streak with Roy some of which were very clutch. Palatina was hard because of the map so I used Gannon dorf for just raw kill power. I kept getting killed by doctor Mario's up B which is now luigi's up B and went with ganon for that as well. Incineroar got me the 1st time but when the door open and I faced him I went with little Mac. nearly got koed (super lucky. Got smashed from the far edge to the other side) with a hit that turned my KO punch on and then killed him with the KO punch.

I found the most important thing was considering the match up and picking a character both for the stage and the opponent. But for most people like with his long range sword and a strong kill hits was a really good choice. The new computers definitely are better at edge guarding and combo in but you can still catch them in stupid computer moments like not being careful of my KO punch. It's like it couldn't register that that was a threat it needed to avoid

Last edited:
I found it! I remember it way more explicit and funnier than I do now lol

Attachments

Last edited:
What in the ****ing hell does Nintendo have against patch notes that are actually informative? They’ve gone from “we changed things” to “we changed things about Link.” Why not tell me what actually changed about Link, for Christ’s sake?

Was Toon Link buffed or nerfed? Or maybe they just changed his attacks.
Nothing about Toon Link has been posted in the patch notes yet. Although I'm pretty sure that he's gonna received that universal bug fix in which you can no longer z-drop items out of hitstun. This is kind of considered to be a nerf for Toon Link since he really benefited from this bug with his bombs.

Are we going to have an official thread detailing our findings on the patch updates like the previous games? Or will this be used?

I liked the challenge, didn't like the Challengers Approach rematch feature that much though.
I don't know. I understand People as they enjoy challenges, but you all shouldn't forget that Super Smash Bros in it's core still is an Party / Couch-MP Game, to frustrate people for wanting to unlock their favorite Charakteres is in my honest opinion the wrong approach...

Ah damn.. lowering the difficulty is a bit of a bummer. I actually looked forward to it. Wouldn't be surprised if they are all the same difficulty now. /:

Top Bottom