• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Patch 1.2.0 Coming Out Soon

patch 1.2.0.jpg

On December 11th, 2018, it was confirmed that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be receiving a patch update sometime within the following week.

Very little is known about what patch 1.2.0 will be like. It’s known however that replays made in version 1.1.0 will not be compatible with 1.2.0, and players are urged to convert their replays to videos if they want to keep them. Since the replays won’t be compatible it’s reasonable to expect gameplay alterations in some form, however we don’t know if these alterations would be bug-fixes or balance changes, and gameplay alterations aren’t even 100% confirmed.

Author’s Note: So, what do you expect to happen in 1.2.0? Balance changes, bug-fixes, something else? Please let us know in the comments below!

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

Most likely it is going to be
-Bug Fixes
-Optimization Fixes (e.g frame drops on stages like FoD)
-Some Balance Changes
Most likely, online play isn't going to be touched for a while (other than things like bug fixes) as Nintendo is usually slow to pick up on these kinds of things.
I hope I am wrong about online, but I don't think I am unfortunately.

I hope it’s the long awaited Bayo nerf. There is an extremely slim chance we get an extra echo fighter, but not getting my hopes up.

Last edited:
hopefully it is not going to become a thing that with each update they are gonna make you unable to watch old replays..kinda gonna suck if i had matches i am proud of being unable to be watched cause i forgot to convert them x.x

To be completely honest I just think they're gonna touch up on glitches, broken characters and online. It's too early to have balance patches imo, the game is only 5 days old and it's still hard to say who's too strong or not. By broken characters, I mean characters that has crazy glitches, like being able to not get hit by diddy's side b by switching before as PKMT.

I think it's partially intended, but I really hope that they change the input lag / move buffer windows. I get that the buffer is here to stay which is fine, but there is noticeable controller responsiveness issues even offline.

Loving the game so far though! I expect this to be mostly big fixes. Maybe adjusting the algorithm that does matchmaking a wee bit.

On the one hand, I hope we get buffs for Ridley and Wario... on the other I'm scared characters like K.Rool will get nerfs. On the third hand... I kinda want nerfs for Marth and Chrom?

And yet she plays more or less the same as 4. Do you main Bayo, or do you just never see her in action? (the reasons someone would defend how ‘balanced’ she is compared to others)
I've played as her a couple of times and I have played against her more. It's not that I'm saying she's bad, it's just there are better fighters than her.

And yet she somehow remains extremely tough compared to a large percent of others, even with so many nerfs. They need to do it right, like Meta Knight’s transition from brawl to 4.

Last edited:
This will likely never happened, but I want a patch that improves on matchmaking services and allows people to message friends and let them know they are playing Smash online. It STILL annoys me to see my friends all playing Smash with no way to communicate within the game to send invites. Like not even creating an arena helps in that regard. It's technically a small thing, but countless of online games give you the ability to just send out an invite, create a lobby, add friends and play a game. I wish Ultimate had that.

How are they "bull"?
Roy and Cloud are not as good as Bayo, not even close. And not even including Diddy Kong is shocking, considering how well he handles right now and hasn’t received really any notable nerfs, which means he’s still as good as he was. Heck, the nerfs he got were actually beneficial to my playstyle, no more suicidal monkey flips here. If anything, just swap them with Shulk and Diddy, then it will be an accurate statement.

Last edited:
Fortunately none of the patches involve fixing the "change language in main Smash mode to unlock characters faster" trick that allows you to have everyone without needing to play any of the Single Player modes (provided you win every match). Let's keep it that way.

Honestly I think the character balance seems fine as is for now. Too many people claim to think some characters are broken, but in reality the people complaining just have main(s) who are a bad matchup, and they need to understand the matchup better. What the developers really need to do is fix the Fountain of Dreams framerate drop, but much more importantly: they need to add more features that would help the competitive scene, since Nintendo claims to care about that now. Sakurai has on record said many times he pretty much actively dislikes the competitive scene, and he sees it as a perversion of his fun party game for kids.

The one thing everyone here can agree on is that they need to come up with a better way of toggling stage hazards in lobbies or in game settings. Making it an option for each switch system (or better yet, for each username on a switch system) to be able to toggle stage hazards on specific stages in the game would be better. This would be a vast improvement on the competitive viability of the game. Some stages are only playable in a competitive setting without hazards, but others are good WITH hazards. This creates a situation where tournament organizers are encouraged to ban all stage hazards or play with only the 'good' hazard stages. Smashville is a great stage, so is Yosh's Island. But Frigate Orpheon is just stupid, making what was a great stage terrible and unplayable (and there are many others that have this problem). Creating a toggle for each individual stage having hazards on or off would be a good one update, imo better than any character rebalancing, which its way too soon to tell what really needs to happen.

Also, I know this is a pie in the sky dream, not because it would be hard to do, but because it would be actually smart, and nintendo doesn't seem to be 'smart', is that they should make a toggle where you can easily ban stages from one screen, or hell, allow each switch user to set up a preselected list of stages: neutral stages and counterpicks, the way 20xx and PM do. Again, I know this will never ever happen, but if we're going to sit here and arm-chair theorize about ways to improve the game, this is a dramatic improvement that basically nobody in their right mind can possibly disagree with.

I can't imagine what balance patches could possibly be needed.

I would suggest an option to turn off the zoom in and slow down on a winning move. Or the ability to have all eight boxes in Smash mode at once. Or the ability to remember which characters and skins we chose. Or all the skins from all the previous games.

Or all the characters unlocked from the beginning in Smash mode and you still have to earn and defeat them in all other modes.

The game hasn't even been out for a week, it is way too early to be calling for nerfs to characters.

Wait until most of us have actually learned the game first.

Last edited:
Yo, can someone help me get this to Daddy Sakurai?
OLIMAR needs to be nerfed. It's not even fun to play against him, competitively, or non-competitively. UP AIR, UP AIR, UP AIR, DOWN AIR, BAIR, EXTREMELY LONG REACHING GRAB, ThrOw a cOuPLE PIKMEEENNNN OOOHHHH

It just gets annoying.
Ridley also needs to be nerfed. I was able to five stock someone in a match with him, and I was just screwing around. It's fun to be overpowered to a certain extent, but at the point where the meta becomes Olimar and Ridley as viable characters, the game just gets boring (maybe? Ridley v Ridley might be interesting...

Ridley also needs to be nerfed. I was able to five stock someone in a match with him, and I was just screwing around. It's fun to be overpowered to a certain extent, but at the point where the meta becomes Olimar and Ridley as viable characters, the game just gets boring (maybe? Ridley v Ridley might be interesting...
have you considered that maybe the person you played against just wasn't as good in the game? to nerf a character cause you kick someone's ass is silly,
then Toon Link should be nerfed too cause yeah i am kicking ass with him after all even when i am not trying sometimes :l

have you considered that maybe the person you played against just wasn't as good in the game? to nerf a character cause you kick someone's *** is silly,
then Toon Link should be nerfed too cause yeah i am kicking *** with him after all even when i am not trying sometimes :l
YEahhh...

I guess I was just trying to make a point.
Umm...

I've been playing competitively since smash 4.

We were kind of...

Playing on the *COUGH*Bridgeofeldin*COUGH-
COUGH*
Definitely a legal stage.
On accident (I forgot to change the random stage selection).

But yeah, I was playing against someone who thinks they are decent. He is somewhat frustrating sometimes because I can never actually try my hardest with him. Every now and then, I decide to screw with him and play well for a while, but then I go back to playing somewhat casually. But still, when I play with Ridley and Olimar, I don't enjoy it as much, because they are just too good. When I play against him, I nearly always try to give him a one stock advantage, but if I'm playing Olimar or Ridley, I give him like a 50% advantage (along with one stock) and I still beat him. When I'm alone, I only have lv 9 CPUs to play with, but Olimar and Ridley are too strong. I'm trying to look at this from the view of casual players as well, and be a bit empathetic. I mean, Ridley does not take any skill to use in a casual scene. SIDE SPECIAL. DOWN SPECIAL. SMASH ATTACK. MAYBE SOME NEUTRAL SPECIALS.
Olimar just abuses his opponents (along with his Pikmin), by constantly throwing them.
What I'm trying to say is that I feel like playing competitively should take a decent amount of skill and effort. You should have to put some effort into the game if you play competitively. Do you remember the 4 player For Glory matches? I tried a few of them out back then, and ALL YOU COULD FIND WAS BOWSERS SPAMMING SIDE B AND DOWN B (occasionally a side smash or up smash). If you were lucky, you'd find a Ganondorf or Captain Falcon that spams neutral b, down b, or side b.
I don't want this to happen again, but with the current Ridley, it might happen. I want to make sure that both casual and competitive players can enjoy the game equally. Competitive players often come from people who picked up the game casually and thought that it was really NEAT.

I eventually start spouting nonsense when I type for a long time.

P.S,
I used to play Toon Link in Smash 4.
I should probably try him out again.

Olimar just abuses his opponents (along with his Pikmin), by constantly throwing them.
What I'm trying to say is that I feel like playing competitively should take a decent amount of skill and effort.
I agree that Olimar is definitely better then last game but it doesn’t make him top tier. I played as him once, and sure he can do some damage by throwing pikmin, but honestly I’d still say the title of op belongs to Diddy Kong.

D
My hopes are online and input delay updates.

That's about it though, and I don't really expect either yet.

If Nintendo hasn't made their NSO service good yet, there's no way they'll fix Smash's online mode anytime soon.

And yet she plays more or less the same as 4. Do you main Bayo, or do you just never see her in action? (the reasons someone would defend how ‘balanced’ she is compared to others)
Her witch time lasts way to long, thats the only think that I see wrong with her, but I haven't been playing a lot of Bayo and I haven't been playing much against her so I'm not too informed.

Top Bottom