• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Just to stir the Mother 3D rumor/leak pot:

Didn’t Vergeben say that Nintendo was saving Mother 3? Wouldn’t it be perfect to release/revealed soon since 2018 is being mainly held up by only Smash at this point? This is all connecting too much...
He said they were keeping it for some reason, but never for a 3D remake.
Like, they could be saving it for a double release with a new Mother character for smash or to release the whole trilogy together.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh so there’s a “Fake” too?

Alright, suppose I’ll take a crack at my new guesses:

King - K. Rool
Ponytail - Dixie
Old Man - contrary to popular belief that it’d be Heihachi, I believe it’ll be Chrom (cause Old Man is slang for father)
Archer - Decidueye
Fake - Dark Samus
Warrior - Bandana Dee
Secretary - Isabelle
Mech - quite obviously Elma
Rhythm - Rhythm Heaven Character (probably Chorus Kids)
Doll - Geno
Folklore - gonna think outside the box and say it’s Simon (cause he hunts vampires, and vampires can be considered folklore)
Prime Ribs - still maintain that it’s Rex and Pyra because initials reversed. I just don’t see Ninten happening at all. Plus it has a “s” at the end of “Ribs” indicating plural.
Soul - gonna think REALLY out of the box here and wildly claim that it’s Twintelle. Just...don’t ask me why ok? (Ok fine...cause she’s an actress, and thespians are said to be soulful)

In case you can’t tell, I like thinking outside the box.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just realized. I kinda feel bad for Waluigi if the outrage doesn't get him in, because unless he does something unique in a mainline game or spin-off of his own. I think he's doom to assist trophy forever now.

Because think about it. What's to stop them in a future game from using the Daisy model they now clearly have from her being an Echo and crafting a sports rep out of her? Nothing.

It's a Sakurai way of thinking too. Why not promote a fan favorite already in the game as a playable and reduce workload as well.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't know why it's bothering me that Mimikyu's face is cut off on the bottom in that icon.
He's creepin'.

You guys think Byleth from Fire Emblem and Spring Man (+Ribbon Girl ε ) will be announced as future DLC shortly before Smash Ultimate's Release? Kind of like Mewtwo?

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
My word....all this Mother 3 talk gets my hopes up higher than I’d like....while the series may have ended I had always advocated for a remake or two...namely Mother 1 just because my god does it need more polish (and love)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Would Smash really get DLC characters via free updates though...?

I guess it’s not too out of the box since Switch’s online service will be paid and MK8D will supposedly be getting free updates too.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just realized. I kinda feel bad for Waluigi if the outrage doesn't get him in, because unless he does something unique in a mainline game or spin-off of his own. I think he's doom to assist trophy forever now.

Because think about it. What's to stop them in a future game from using the Daisy model they now clearly have from her being an Echo and crafting a sports rep out of her? Nothing.

It's a Sakurai way of thinking too. Why not promote a fan favorite already in the game as a playable and reduce workload as well.
But wait, Echos are doomed to forever be Echos because that was a thing that was confirmed.....at some point...........probably.

I'll totally throw Waluigi under the bus again for a decloned Daisy, tbh.

Make her a crystalmancr

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Now it's a leak riding the success of another leak which rode the success of another leak?
Do kids still make human centipede jokes?

If yes then [insert one here].
If no... I'll see myself out.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
He's not a main character. It'll either be Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude.
Dimitri has lances.
Dimitri gets a pass in the name of Cain and Abel not having a sword
Uhh yeah he is. He's the player's avatar. And he has everything the other three characters have because he's their teacher. So he's pretty much the perfect choice. He couldn't be any more main of a character than that.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
EUREKA!

Byleth in the background with Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri doing the fighting and swaping out Pokemon trainer style.

The difference being the change mechanic would be initiated with an offensive move (think pair up attack) rather than PKMN's pseudo dodge.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I feel with all these leak Claims Max's words should help to bring a bit of clarity of how to spot the hoaxes.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Forgive me, I haven't played Warioware in years, but what does Ashley actually do that she can draw moves from to use in a fighting game?

Other than what she is, a small witch girl, does she have any animations like someone like Villager or would she be more thematic like ROB?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
If all it takes for a series to be considered a "weeb series" is for it to have an anime then well...

And you guys can correct me if there's more.

:ultmario: had a manga and an OVA
:ultlink: had a manga
:ultsamus: had a manga
:ultpit: had anime shorts
:ultfalcon: had an anime
:ultmarth: had a manga and an OVA
:ultvillager: had an OVA
:ultryu: had OVA's
:ultsonic: had a manga, an OVA and an anime
:ultbayonetta: had an OVA
:ultkirby: had an anime
:ultpikachu:long running anime, several manga
:ultinkling: has a manga
:ultmegaman: had an anime
:ultfox: had a manga
:ultcloud: Had an OVA

Smash is a game for weebs.
Mario actually has multiple OVAs and Manga series.
TLoZ has also had several manga adaptations, including one series where Link isn't the protagonist but only trains the protagonist.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh so there’s a “Fake” too?

Alright, suppose I’ll take a crack at my new guesses:

King - K. Rool
Ponytail - Dixie
Old Man - contrary to popular belief that it’d be Heihachi, I believe it’ll be Chrom (cause Old Man is slang for father)
Archer - Decidueye
Fake - Dark Samus
Warrior - Bandana Dee
Secretary - Isabelle
Mech - quite obviously Elma
Rhythm - Rhythm Heaven Character (probably Chorus Kids)
Doll - Geno
Folklore - gonna think outside the box and say it’s Simon (cause he hunts vampires, and vampires can be considered folklore)
Prime Ribs - still maintain that it’s Rex and Pyra because initials reversed. I just don’t see Ninten happening at all. Plus it has a “s” at the end of “Ribs” indicating plural.
Soul - gonna think REALLY out of the box here and wildly claim that it’s Twintelle. Just...don’t ask me why ok?

In case you can’t tell, I like thinking outside the box.
Folklore being Simon makes the most sense to me too. Main thing I disagree with on here is Fake, which imo would be Shadow because of that whole shtick from Sonic Adventure 2. Other than that it looks pretty solid outside of the Old Man tossup and whoever Soul could be (I genuinely have no idea about that one). I'm not going to put much stock into these codename leaks though since they're pretty attention grabby, but if by some miracle Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Elma, and Rex & Pyra are in this game I'll cry.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, SmashWiki's put up a release date countdown.

Guess that saves me the trouble.

147 days to go...

It's gonna be a slow year.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
If all it takes for a series to be considered a "weeb series" is for it to have an anime then well...

And you guys can correct me if there's more.

:ultmario: had a manga and an OVA
:ultlink: had a manga
:ultsamus: had a manga
:ultpit: had anime shorts
:ultfalcon: had an anime
:ultmarth: had a manga and an OVA
:ultvillager: had an OVA
:ultryu: had OVA's
:ultsonic: had a manga, an OVA and an anime
:ultbayonetta: had an OVA
:ultkirby: had an anime
:ultpikachu:long running anime, several manga
:ultinkling: has a manga
:ultmegaman: had an anime
:ultfox: had a manga
:ultcloud: Had an OVA

Smash is a game for weebs.
My avatar actually comes from that Mario manga...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is another of this codename rumors? :p

It takes my attention the Magic and Soul... Who would be?
Magic and Spear too? Oof...better re-revise now:
King, Ponytail, Mech, Secretary, Rhythm, Prime Ribs, Doll, Archer, Fake, Soul, and Old Man are the same as my previous guesses a few posts up
Warrior is now Simon
Spear is now Bandana Dee
Magic is Ashley
Have no idea now for Folklore

And I don’t know if “Tulipa” is supposed to be part of it, but that’s most likely Lip. Someone mentions “what’s the status on Codename Tulipa?”

Alternatively, Folklore could once again be Simon, Old Man could indeed be Heihachi, but Warrior would be Chrom, since he was one of the first characters revealed for Warriors

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Dimitri has lances.
It’s extremely likely that Byleth is the avatar character, which does make him quite likely for Smash. More so than one of the “three”, who are on equal levels importance which make it hard to include one over the other.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It’s extremely likely that Byleth is the avatar character, which does make him quite likely for Smash. More so than one of the “three”, who are on equal levels importance which make it hard to include one over the other.
Would you rather have "ANOTHER SWORD? Fire Emblem sucks!" or a "Fine, I guess! It's different!". Exaggerations maybe, but any new Emblem of the Fire returning would probably warrant angry responses for how much of it is in Smash.

We can't make heads or tails until the new game comes out or we got a lot more info on it in the following months. And hopefully it's better than Fates

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Soul - gonna think REALLY out of the box here and wildly claim that it’s Twintelle. Just...don’t ask me why ok? (Ok fine...cause she’s an actress, and thespians are said to be soulful).
...I think the obvious answer is Nightmare from Soul Calibur. The guy out to devour Souls.

I dunno, maybe I'm just biased.

Man, I wish I had anything meaningful to say about anything you guys had been talking about today. XD I'm starting to mentally cramp on the cataloguing front so I think I'm going to take a break and do something else for a bit (I've catalogued 193 characters and I'm not even half done! Geez louise!)

By the way, Zinith Zinith , did you know Boshi is not the least wanted character? He has at least two supporters (you and one other), there's a character out there with only one. There are also other characters with only two supporters.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
EUREKA!

Byleth in the background with Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri doing the fighting and swaping out Pokemon trainer style.

The difference being the change mechanic would be initiated with an offensive move (think pair up attack) rather than PKMN's pseudo dodge.
Full weapon triangle in one moveset? Pokemon and FE? Stop, I can only get so erect!

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
...I think the obvious answer is Nightmare from Soul Calibur. The guy out to devour Souls.

I dunno, maybe I'm just biased.

Man, I wish I had anything meaningful to say about anything you guys had been talking about today. XD I'm starting to mentally cramp on the cataloguing front so I think I'm going to take a break and do something else for a bit (I've catalogued 193 characters and I'm not even half done! Geez louise!)

By the way, Zinith Zinith , did you know Boshi is not the least wanted character? He has at least two supporters (you and one other), there's a character out there with only one.
Good to know...

D

Deleted member

Im gonna go out on a limb and say that Mother 3D is obviously for the 3DS, the name kinda spoils it.

Not to mention it fits well with the current 3DS library, since other recent games for the system are remakes (Luigi's Mansion and Bowser's Inside Story)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Unless it’s Lyn or Chrom, do we REALLY need another Fire Emblem character?

Like seriously guys, isn’t enough enough at this point, I’m being honest. Like don’t get me wrong I like the series but give some other series the limelight.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Forgive me, I haven't played Warioware in years, but what does Ashley actually do that she can draw moves from to use in a fighting game?

Other than what she is, a small witch girl, does she have any animations like someone like Villager or would she be more thematic like ROB?
I'm guess like the latter?

It's as you say. She is a small witch girl so she would use move inspired by witch type spells. The most popular I've seen being "hex" type spells. Basically casting debuffs on your opponents.

That's not to say she wouldn't have anything more direct from the games. Her recovery could easily be her broom which was an essential part to her game in Game & Wario. Also I can her final smash being based off quite a bit of things from warioware.

D

Deleted member

For the US version of Brawl they used EarthBound. The PAL versions used Mother.
Interesting. EarthBound wasn't released in Europe at the time, so that makes sense, but did it also use Mother for Onett, or just for New Pork City?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Dimitri has lances.
Let's not jump the gun here and assume plot details. For all we know those 3 guys are false leads like Nohr and Hoshido

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Unless it’s Lyn or Chrom, do we REALLY need another Fire Emblem character?

Like seriously guys, isn’t enough enough at this point, I’m being honest. Like don’t get me wrong I like the series but give some other series the limelight.
FE13 sold like hotcakes. I think in a year it was almost ten times the sales of a usual Fire Emblem game (EDIT: I meant ten times the minimum it was supposed to sell or else the series would get canned).
It's gonna get in your face now that its racked in big bucks.

Also FE is a bit notorious at this point for being something I dub "advertisement slots". Some went really well :ultroy: and some did terribly :ultcorrin:.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Good to know...
There are a lot of characters with supporters in the single digits. I think people are going a mite crazy with the character wants.

I know I am, I estimate that one of my wanted characters, Agumon only has around 8 supporters, maybe more, I didn't count them.

Did you know there are 10 people who support the Diver from Endless Ocean? And that that Diver is beating Joker (from Persona), who has 6 active supporters?

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
There are a lot of characters with supporters in the single digits. I think people are going a mite crazy with the character wants.

I know I am, I estimate that one of my wanted characters, Agumon only has around 8 supporters, maybe more, I didn't count them.

Did you know there are 10 people who support the Diver from Endless Ocean? And that that Diver is beating Joker (from Persona), who has 6 active supporters?
Joker only has 6 supporters? Wow, I probably know who each of them are...

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Velvet Crowe is another candidate for Souls albeit unlikely. Her left arm absorbs Daemons and their souls.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I don't think the three are equally important here. It's pretty clear from what we've seen of Three Houses that Edelgard is slated to be the main focus out of the trio, what with her getting more exposure in the trailer and how she's narrating it. Whether or not the avatar is going to be more unique than her we'll just have to see, but she's got elegant axe attacks and potential magic.

Probably a mix of both. She's been shown to cast magic in Smooth Moves and Game & Wario by pointing her wand or her hand forward and shooting out lightning, her broom is extremely likely to be her recovery, and she's mixed items together in a cauldron before. Beyond that, most of her stuff will probably just take the whole Witchy motif and roll with it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Joker only has 6 supporters? Wow, I probably know who each of them are...
I have a feeling there are more, either they haven't actively gone to the thread to show their support, or the support list hasn't been updated. Either is a possibility.

I could, in theory, stop now and post the Top 20 (maybe even 50), since I think I've reached the point where any and all additions to the list will only add to the lower ranks.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
FE13 sold like hotcakes. I think in a year it was almost ten times the sales of a usual Fire Emblem game (EDIT: I meant ten times the minimum it was supposed to sell or else the series would get canned).
It's gonna get in your face now that its racked in big bucks.
I think people kinda overstate this. Fire Emblem did really well, but it's not even close, and I meant not even kinda close to smelling the same air as Nintendo's big boys. The idea that Fire Emblem has as many characters as Mario or Pokemon based on a game doing well is a bit absurd. It's honestly probably just easy to add Fire Emblem characters. They're mostly just anime people swinging swords or other weapons around so most of the characters in the series are workable as playable characters, and everyone in the same class fights the same so it's easy to make clones.

That said, you suffer in the end because every single playable Fire Emblem character in Smash Bros. is just a pretty anime person with a sword which doesn't help variety, regardless of their abilities. Part of what turned me off to Smash 4 was the fact that so many newcomers were just people.

KMDP

Smash Legend
This is kind of off topic, but why isn't Revali's gale not Link's new recovery?
Maybe because Link can still use the Spin Attack in BotW, and if you give Link one Champion Art, you really should be giving him all of them (except maybe Mipha's Grace).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom