• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I know I'm a broken record but:

October Direct

Drop the last few characters/stages

Start a "Global test smash" in November after the new Switch/Controllers come out that lasts until the game comes out

There, you've managed to avoid leaking the entire remaining roster(hah), while keeping people hyped until the game launches.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I found that a bit annoying myself. A bit of a white lie.
As a game developer with a somewhat close relationship with his audience, Sakurai is in the business of telling white lies.
You probably think that there were only odd votes for Steve, but in fact we don't know the ballot results to determine that. wow deja vu

This is slightly unrelated, but I don't understand why people see Steve as the enigma and say "oh he's just a default skin he doesn't matter".
:ultrobin uh hello these people exist and serve the same purpose :ultcorrin:
You forgot :ultinkling: (and :ultvillager:).
But that being said, Robin, Corrin and Inkling (and Villager) are all also 1st Party.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I know I'm a broken record but:

October Direct

Drop the last few characters/stages

Start a "Global test smash" in November after the new Switch/Controllers come out that lasts until the game comes out

There, you've managed to avoid leaking the entire remaining roster(hah), while keeping people hyped until the game launches.
You think they'll wanna get the whole roster out in October?
I'm sort of with you, but I feel like they'll want to keep the speculation and hype going for as long as they can.

I think the last newcomer will be revealed sometime in November.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Question, are you able to not be a fan of a character, if the character in question doesn't really qualify as a character? Or the opposite for that matter.

D

Deleted member

It also helps that he's openly praised Xenoblade 2 in the past. He dedicated a lot of his New Year's vacation to completing the game.
Wait, he dedicated his New Year's vacation on completing Xenoblade 2?
...My man. :cool:

Xenoblade 2 was finished after the ballot and Sm4sh. If anything they'll surely be DLC.

Considering Sakurai's love for XenoBlade too. I can see him throwing Elma in as well.
I know there are some people who want Elma, but I don't know if Japan even requests her at all. I try to look at various outlets for when we talk about either American, European and/or Japanese fanbases to look at for a character's worth, and I don't think I've seen any support for Xenoblade X in Japan. Last time I heard it only sold like the same amount of copies as Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE in its lifetime over there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
You think they'll wanna get the whole roster out in October?
I'm sort of with you, but I feel like they'll want to keep the speculation and hype going for as long as they can.

I think the last newcomer will be revealed sometime in November.
Problem I have is that a lot of stuff will probably start going into print in late October/November, from the dreaded BOX to the strategy guide.

It only takes one asshole on 4chan to ruin the surprise for everyone.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sakurai's statements about this supposed support from multiple platforms and characters that you hadn't cited.
*sigh*

This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud.

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Sakurai: Final Fantasy (FF below) is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. I think fans across the globe have hoped a character from one of those series would appear in Smash, so it was only a matter of time...

There. Don't really know why I have to cite it when it's pretty common knowledge.

That's very assuming to assume we assume you don't like things. It's just an argument dude. Arguments aren't always in ill will. Not a single person said you don't like it and that's why you're arguing against it.
I was just clearing the air dude, in case people did assume. Slow your roll.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Problem I have is that a lot of stuff will probably start going into print in November, from the dreaded BOX to the strategy guide.

It only takes one ******* on 4chan to ruin the surprise for everyone.
You're definitely right there.
It still blows my mind that more info doesn't get leaked during development. All it takes is one employee sneaking a photo and its all over. I can't imagine it'd be too hard to quickly snag a photo of something and upload it somewhere anonymously.

Shroob

Sup?
Like, the biggest offender of potential leaks I'm seeing here is the Prima strategy guide.

Like, they're not going to start production the week before the game comes out, it would not surprise me if they went to print in late October/November, and all it takes is one rogue guy to rip the pages out and leak it online.

This is my biggest 'fear' with waiting until November to show the last few characters.

Between the BOX, the European box with the mural on it, and the guide, there are going to be a LOOOOOOT of things that just 'have' the roster in them, and all it takes is one man to ruin the surprise.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I know there are some people who want Elma, but I don't know if Japan even requests her at all. I try to look at various outlets for when we talk about either American, European and/or Japanese fanbases to look at for a character's worth, and I don't think I've seen any support for Xenoblade X in Japan. Last time I heard it only sold like the same amount of copies as Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE in its lifetime over there.
Sakurai Bias is definitely on Elma's side do remember that.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Question, are you able to not be a fan of a character, if the character in question doesn't really qualify as a character? Or the opposite for that matter.
Ah... hmm...

That's a good question.

I suppose technically you can like a character's default design...
You're definitely right there.
It still blows my mind that more info doesn't get leaked during development. All it takes is one employee sneaking a photo and its all over. I can't imagine it'd be too hard to quickly snag a photo of something and upload it somewhere anonymously.
Getting fired (and also sued) might be a dealbreaker to potential leakers, maybe Nintendo made it clear this time that this will be the end result of intentionally leaking stuff from the game or something.

Shroob

Sup?
Ah... hmm...

That's a good question.

I suppose technically you can like a character's default design...

Getting fired (and also sued) might be a dealbreaker to potential leakers, maybe Nintendo made it clear this time that this will be the end result of intentionally leaking stuff from the game or something.
The Prima guide is a whole different ballgame though.

All it takes is one guy to take a single book home.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The Prima guide is a whole different ballgame though.

All it takes is one guy to take a single book home.
This is true.

Unless Nintendo has their legal tentacles in Prima this time as well. We'll have to wait and see.

Regardless, it's not worth worrying about until it actually happens.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If it's about that gun, that can mean various things. Though, unfortunately I don't think it'll be for Custom Robo, considering they never renewed the trademark. RIP.
No it isn't the gun. Because its a fact that Sakurai loves XenoBlade.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm not sure if anyone's discussed this, but the new Pokemon for Lets Go Pikachu and Eevee was seemingly leaked an hour ago.

I'm not going to post the actual Pokemon here, out of respect for others, but go to Serebii if you want to see the (potentially) new Pokemon.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I dislike the idea of Steve as a playable character.
I know is a big hit, and I don't oppose to the idea of some representation in Smash... but the character of Steve is the most boring thing possible.
Nobody cares about him, people cares about the world, the enemies and the objects you can craft, this is why I believe Minecraft should be represented with a stage, assist trophies of creepers and endermans, and new items like a pickaxe or a diamond sword.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not sure if anyone's discussed this, but the new Pokemon for Lets Go Pikachu and Eevee was seemingly leaked an hour ago.

I'm not going to post the actual Pokemon here, out of respect for others, but go to Serebii if you want to see the (potentially) new Pokemon.
And **** like THIS is why we need that Direct sooner than later, because Nintendo just can't keep their **** from leaking.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
And **** like THIS is why we need that Direct sooner than later, because Nintendo just can't keep their **** from leaking.
Apparently it was leaked through the network traffic of Pokemon Go, which makes some sense since Let's Go is very connected with Go.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Potentially, it could be nothing but a placeholder looking at it.

Another possibility is that Gamefreak's gone insane.

Shroob

Sup?
Potentially, it could be nothing but a placeholder looking at it.

Another possibility is that Gamefreak's gone insane.
Oh come now, this is clearly a new Pokemon.

They're the same company that had basically the entire game locked behind a demo; Gamefreak is just as bad as Nintendo at this.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Oh come now, this is clearly a new Pokemon.

They're the same company that had basically the entire game locked behind a demo; Gamefreak is just as bad as Nintendo at this.
Spoilering in case it is real and people don't want to know its design.
It looks like ditto but with a nut in place of its face.
The design is very, stitched together. Like maybe it'll make sense when its revealed but right now it looks like something pasted on top of a preexisting Pokemon.

Also leaving an entire game behind a demo isn't exclusive to Game Freak. At least they didn't release the entire game in place of the demo.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Spoilering in case it is real and people don't want to know its design.
It looks like ditto but with a nut in place of its face.
The design is very, stitched together. Like maybe it'll make sense when its revealed but right now it looks like something pasted on top of a preexisting Pokemon.

Also leaving an entire game behind a demo isn't exclusive Game Freak. At least they didn't release the entire game in place of the demo.
I mean, we haven't seen it in action yet.

But the fact that they gave it a shiny version, to me at least says it's more than just a placeholder.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I mean, we haven't seen it in action yet.

But the fact that they gave it a shiny version, to me at least says it's more than just a placeholder.
Every Pokemon gets a shiny, at least as a placeholder if they're locked from being obtained in game.

I haven't seen the shiny version myself. Has it been shown to be a different a colour or do we just know it's there? I don't see it being a placeholder if it actually has a shiny colouring.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
If it's about that gun, that can mean various things. Though, unfortunately I don't think it'll be for Custom Robo, considering they never renewed the trademark. RIP.
Sakurai is also a figurine collector in general if I recall right

Shroob

Sup?
Every Pokemon gets a shiny, at least as a placeholder if they're locked from being obtained in game.

I haven't seen the shiny version myself. Has it been shown to be a different a colour or do we just know it's there? I don't see it being a placeholder if it actually has a shiny colouring.
It has a shiny in the tweet that Serebii links to.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I quite like that new Pokémon tbh, it's a game with only Gen 1 Pokémon, so simplicity is key for its design.

Staarih

Smash Master
Xenoblade Chronicles X: 137,470
Tokyo Mirage Sessions: 39,481

I mean, not quite (hopefully TMS gets another chance on Switch).
I just feel like the Japanese audience has jumped straight to Rex/Pyra as XC2 is the most recent thing (while not knowing it may/may not have made it during the project plans), like many others. I'm still rooting for Elma tho.

Okay, that's just weird.
Also, pls Nintendo/Game Freak, does nothing keep as a secret anymore?

-----

A lot of Minecraft/Steve talk in, like, every thread I've read today - any reason for this? Just Verge backing up on Minecraft content (again)?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I like the new Pokemon because it's so ****ing dumb looking. <3

Sakurai Bias is definitely on Elma's side do remember that.
Sakurai Bias™ is a funny thing. It's different in every game, which is interesting, because that's not how bias works. In Brawl he had Kirby and Star Fox bias. Then in Smash 4 he had Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem bias. In Melee, he added FOUR Zelda characters, that must've been some crazy bias.

Or, idk, maybe just because one series gets disproportionate representation in a title, that isn't actually indicative of bias.

Shroob

Sup?

I just feel like the Japanese audience has jumped straight to Rex/Pyra as XC2 is the most recent thing (while not knowing it may/may not have made it during the project plans), like many others. I'm still rooting for Elma tho.

Okay, that's just weird.
Also, pls Nintendo/Game Freak, does nothing keep as a secret anymore?

-----

A lot of Minecraft/Steve talk in, like, every thread I've read today - any reason for this? Just Verge backing up on Minecraft content (again)?

Verg isn't 100% sure, but he's heard musings that Steve may actually be playable.

D

Deleted member

Holy Christ, I did NOT think those two games would sell that badly in Japan. At that point, I wouldn't say they're going for it because it's the most recent thing, since people actually know about the game, but like... Wow.

This really does show you how dark the Wii U ages were for Nintendo.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Staarih Staarih XB2 is huge in japan though, don't forget it already has official merchandise planned with that Pyra, Mythra and now a XB2 Kos-Mos statue from Goodsmile that are going to be released at the end of this year and next year, while i'm still waiting on anything merch related of the orginal game :sadeyes:

X did have that mech kit though, but Goodsmile merch is on a thing of its own, because they make all sorts of merchandises like the Figma's and Nendoroids of other Nintendo franchises (Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Fire Emblem and now Splatoon come to mind)

also does somebody known if the other 2 Xenoblade games got an "exellence" award to in Japan, because thats what XB2 got on the Tokyo Game show this week. I know a title is just a title, but I feel its boding really well for Rex & Pyra as DLC

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Hasn't every Xenoblade game sold more in the West than in Japan? And XB1 had sizable demand to get it brought over, which would've contributed to Shulk's inclusion (Operation Rainfall and all that). I think it's possible that Sakurai would overlook Elma's minimal ballot presence because the game came out in it's largest market after the ballot ended, and instead look at the series's reception and X's opening sales. That way you at least have a ballpark guess of whether an XBX character would be recieved well.

D

Deleted member

Staarih Staarih XB2 is huge in japan though, don't forget it already has official merchandise planned with that Pyra, Mythra and now a XB2 Kos-Mos statue from Goodsmile that are going to be released at the end of this year and next year, while i'm still waiting on anything merch related of the orginal game :sadeyes:

X did have that mech kit though, but Goodsmile merch is on a thing of its own, because they make all sorts of merchandises like the Figma's and Nendoroids of other Nintendo franchises (Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Fire Emblem and now Splatoon come to mind)

also does somebody known if the other 2 Xenoblade games got an "exellence" award to in Japan, because thats what XB2 got on the Tokyo Game show this week. I know a title is just a title, but I feel its boding really well for Rex & Pyra as DLC
Xenoblade Chronicles 1 won an Excellence Award back in the 2011 Japan Game Awards, however Xenoblade X never won an award at all. I've tried searching the 2015 and 2016 records and I've never seen Xenoblade X net anything.
http://awards.cesa.or.jp/2011/en/press/pdf/110915_03.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Looks like a honeycomb from Banjo Kazooie on top of a blob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom