• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet
...what's with everyone referring to Mach Rider as a woman? Wasn't that ending screen with a female Mach Rider taken from a bootleg arcade machine?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
...what's with everyone referring to Mach Rider as a woman? Wasn't that ending screen with a female Mach Rider taken from a bootleg arcade machine?
I mean, the picture shows Mach Rider as a woman, and it looks official, so it's safe to assume she's a woman, right?

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hey so

About the fact FF7 only has 2 tracks still...

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1042585942312144896
https://twitter.com/granblue_en/status/1042576300500692992

Something’s up with Nobuo Uematsu...hope he’ll be ok...

Also TIL he composed for Granblue
I've heard. I hope it's not something too complicated, because he's such a talented composer and has contributed much to video game music. Alongside his work on Final Fantasy, he's the composer of the fantastic main theme for Brawl.

And yeah, he did compose for Granblue, alongside Tsutomu Narita. For the anime adaptation, they were joined by Yasunori Nishiki, who's the composer for Octopath Traveller.

Anyway, I hope Uematsu gets better and takes a break to fully recover.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I never played a Dragon Quest game, but I gotta admit, those super moves atleast look really fun!
I've been playing the game, and she hasn't joined my party yet, but she does look really cool and I can't wait to see what she can do, so I'd be happy with her being DLC for Smash, though I still wish Erdirck from DQ3 were chosen over her.

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet
I mean, the picture shows Mach Rider as a woman, and it looks official, so it's safe to assume she's a woman, right?
I mean, I could be wrong but this is just what I know. Besides, the "masked warrior looks like a dude" thing has already been done by Samus, and done better, too, so I feel like it'd just fall flat if they went with it again in Smash.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
She was intended to be on Captain rainbow but cut... while not official, her model was very feminine in that particular game (that isnt too old)

Is clear that Nintendo at least consider mach rider a she.

D

Deleted member

Is clear that Nintendo at least consider mach rider a she.
And then you have Melee's trophy description:

After the destruction of his home town, Mach Rider jumped onto his machine-gun-equipped combat motorcycle and set off in search of a new home, destroying all the Quadrunners who got in his way. His motorcycle had four gears and endless ammunition. When hit, Mach Rider would break into fragments and then rejoin together.

Mach Rider just is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
I don't think Sakurai ever thought of clones as less than the other, more unique characters.

In Melee, each of the clones had clear design premises going for them that had those characters' characterization in mind.

With Ultimate, while the movesets definitely don't have as many notable differences as the Melee clones, the animation work is definitely there to make them feel closer to their characterization. Only Chrom so far seems to have a different move from the character he's based from, Final Smashes notwithstanding.
Sakurai mentioned that echo fighters have adjusted abilites and params where he felt it was needed...maybe he has something in mind with the echoes?

For example: Chrom clearly is the Lucina to Roy’s Marth, with no fire and no hilt.

For Daisy, I have a feeling that her main difference will be her float parameters, with stuff like her Daisy Bomber being so fast was a result of balancing it.

Dark Samus is unknown but she has lots of electrical properties and has this alien feel to her.

Ken likely has his traits from Street Fighter games.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I mean, I could be wrong but this is just what I know. Besides, the "masked warrior looks like a dude" thing has already been done by Samus, and done better, too, so I feel like it'd just fall flat if they went with it again in Smash.
True, but it's hard to argue against this picture
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Untouch

Smash Master
I think if we get a DQ character it'll be Erdrick or Slime.
Slime for the large international appeal and recognizability, and Erdrick because he's the most popular MC and Sakurai likes DQ3.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Slime for the large international appeal and recognizability, and Erdrick because he's the most popular MC and Sakurai likes DQ3.
If we get them as dlc then it should be Erdrick with an Eight echo.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If we get them as dlc then it should be Erdrick with an Eight echo.
Apparently, going from some 4chan post in a thread today, Dragon Quest is also a Licencing nightmare-
While FF crossover from time to time to other things, Dragon Quest Rarely does beside Square's Own product and Fortune's Street.
Apparently the Music Licencing is as nightmarish as FF as the best quality you can get is Midi with no Remix allowed because the composer is an ass
And they would need Toriyama's okay for the design?

Basically, whatever we get from SE, whenever it's FF/DQ/Geno/KH it's a ****ing miracle.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman

After the destruction of his home town, Mach Rider jumped onto his machine-gun-equipped combat motorcycle and set off in search of a new home, destroying all the Quadrunners who got in his way. His motorcycle had four gears and endless ammunition. When hit, Mach Rider would break into fragments and then rejoin together.

Mach Rider just is.
Melee's trophies were all written by Sakurai and he thought that the DKC KRool bosses were three brothers instead of one guy, so. There's room for error.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Apparently, going from some 4chan post in a thread today, Dragon Quest is also a Licencing nightmare-
While FF crossover from time to time to other things, Dragon Quest Rarely does beside Square's Own product and Fortune's Street.
Apparently the Music Licencing is as nightmarish as FF as the best quality you can get is Midi with no Remix allowed because the composer is an ***

Basically, whatever we get from SE, whenever it's FF/DQ/Geno/KH it's a ****ing miracle.
For **** sake Square Enix...

D

Deleted member

Melee's trophies were all written by Sakurai and he thought that the DKC KRool bosses were three brothers instead of one guy, so. There's room for error.
Ah yes, I'm surprised we didn't get Kaptain K. Rool as a King K. Rool echo considering that they're brothers.

Untouch

Smash Master
Apparently the Music Licencing is as nightmarish as FF as the best quality you can get is Midi with no Remix allowed because the composer is an ***

I think DQ's liscencing issues are a bit overstated.
Bandai Namco owns the rights to dragonball in video games, so they have connections to Toriyama already, that is if he even owns the rights to the designs.
Also I think the liscencing issues with DQ music is more related to the orchestral versions of the songs, that is if DQ would even get a stage at all.

Last edited:

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one that thinks what they did with Duck Hunt last time was brilliant?

Part of it may be where I'm one of the fairly few people who know about Wild Gunman...

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13
Does anyone remember off the top of their head what the announcement schedule was like for Smash 4? Were there a more characters announced early or closer to release date?

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord

Mach Rider just is.
I would be wary of a melee post, this is the game that made Gamondorf a Captain Falcon clone and gave Bowser that weird run and his non-canon Giga form

Q-Long

Smash Lord
If you give certain fanbases a break simply because there are only a few toxic people in them, then I’m afraid you’ve missed the point entirely. While you are right to an extent, you cannot simply dismiss all garbage behavior as “vocal minority”
At the same time though, I will agree that generalizing an entire group of people is how witch hunts start.
I understand your point but lets look at Lucario.

A sizable amount of people who play him are furries. They probably share fanart of him and discuss him on average much more than I would. They most likely make more twitter posts about him, etc.

If I mained him, I would not want to be called a furry because of this (no offense to anyone that is).

Isaac, Geno, Bandanna Dee, etc. threads called out people who were fuming over Isabelle's reveal in their own thread. What else do you do? Just let people call you butthurt because the guy sitting 8 seats away from you is?

Some Lucario players are furries. Not all of them are.
Some people from these fanbases got mad. But not all of them.

No wonder Ridley fans had so much euphoria when he got revealed.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
If Jade from Dragon Quest XI were in Smash, she'd probably be DLC because of how new DQXI is. But if she's the most popular DQXI character in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised to see her in the game to appeal to the Japanese fanbase

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I think I've had some sour experiences with fans of pretty much every character, except Isaac fans for some reason, his fanbase is very down to earth from my experience.
That’s actually impressive for a big fanbase to be so calm if what you’re saying is true

D

Deleted member

Does anyone remember off the top of their head what the announcement schedule was like for Smash 4? Were there a more characters announced early or closer to release date?
For Smash 4, more characters were announced closer to release. From E3 2014 to release, we got :4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4lucina::4shulk:

It took 6 months after the game's first trailer for Rosalina to be revealed.

I would be wary of a melee post, this is the game that made Gamondorf a Captain Falcon clone and gave Bowser that weird run and his non-canon Giga form
I actually really miss Bowser's old run. It was so silly.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think DQ's liscencing issues are a bit overstated.
Bandai Namco owns the rights to dragonball in video games, so they have connections to Toriyama already, that is if he even owns the rights to the designs.
Also I think the liscencing issues with DQ music is more related to the orchestral versions of the songs, that is if DQ would even get a stage at all.
I hope you're right but still, not getting any Remix and only Midi song in smash would suck hard.

Jeeez...That Square Enix Newcomers is possibly the only real mystery left (beside secret newcomers hopefully!) and every possible addition get a lot of block.
Whenever it's Geno with the music theory if he doesn't get his own icons that shoot him down.
Dragon Quest maybe musical/Design Issue Problem?
Sora's trap card being THE MOUSE itself
Square already being stingy with FF

You bet that Sakurai would want to keep whoever he got from Square Secret and for the end as Square seems to be the Final Boss of licencing nightmare.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Hmmm... Square's Licensing madness makes me wonder how tough Microsoft is gonna be with Steve and Banjo Kazooie...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
For Smash 4, more characters were announced closer to release. From E3 2014 to release, we got :4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4lucina::4shulk:

It took 6 months after the game's first trailer for Rosalina to be revealed.

I actually really miss Bowser's old run. It was so silly.
The release schedules are so different it's almost impossible to compare. I mean compared
that to brawl and what it was like a year before we got another character???

So yeah we're in the same time frame roughly that Smash 4 had those reveals. Idk if it's accurate to compare them. Especially since Sakurai doesn't just drop character announcements and ties them to directs instead. (Hoping for that random Robin/Lucina drop)

D

Deleted member

If Jade from Dragon Quest XI were in Smash, she'd probably be DLC because of how new DQXI is. But if she's the most popular DQXI character in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised to see her in the game to appeal to the Japanese fanbase
Isnt it only new to the West? I thought DQXI's been out in Japan since last year.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I hope you're right but still, not getting any Remix and only Midi song in smash would suck hard.

Jeeez...That Square Enix Newcomers is possibly the only real mystery left (beside secret newcomers hopefully!) and every possible addition get a lot of block.
Whenever it's Geno with the music theory if he doesn't get his own icons that shoot him down.
Dragon Quest maybe musical/Design Issue Problem?
Sora's trap card being THE MOUSE itself
Square already being stingy with FF

You bet that Sakurai would want to keep whoever he got from Square Secret and for the end as Square seems to be the Final Boss of licencing nightmare.
I think Geno would have his own icon. He'd probably be in the SMRPG series and not the Super Mario series, I think. So I don't think the Super Mario Bros 3 song would affect Geno's chances if the music theory is true.

Isnt it only new to the West? I thought DQXI's been out in Japan since last year.
Yes, it has been out since last year in Japan, but that's 2017, and the roster would have been completed by early 2016 at the latest. Granted, Sakurai could have had concept art for Jade (similar to the Greninja situation), but otherwise it's safe to assume that the roster was finalized before Dragon Quest XI came out in Japan.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think Geno would have his own icon. He'd probably be in the SMRPG series and not the Super Mario series, I think. So I don't think the Super Mario Bros 3 song would affect Geno's chances if the music theory is true.
Super Mario RPG is only one game. Considering that Geno got the main Mario icon for his DLC Mii Fighter costume in 4, I believe that he will get the mushroom icon if he joins the roster.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Super Mario RPG is only one game. Considering that Geno got the main Mario icon for his DLC Mii Fighter costume in 4, I believe that he will get the mushroom icon if he joins the roster.
Fair enough. Then does this hurt Geno's chances if the music theory is true?

Implying we won't get Halo himself instead.
I find it funny that you call him Halo instead of Master Chief.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I still think that Geno will be under the Super Mario Series as Smash never differencied the Mario RPG series before and the Mario&Luigi music was always under the Mario icons. Also, I have to pull a tiny problem if Geno get his own Icons/Music icons

The stages.
In smash Ultimate,there the new function about being able to play all music from a series into that series's stage.
All Mario Music in Mario stages.
And the Second Mario Icons being for the Mario Karts Stages.

However, if Geno is in as his own Icons, and musics, it means:
- Geno get no "Music Icons" but a "Character Icons" and his Music will still be in Mario stages. Kinda like Pac-man's Namco Remix with just a Music Note icons but this shoot down the Music Theory? Maybe not? I'm not sure
-Geno get a new stage, new music and all that Jazz
-Geno get no new Music
-Geno isn't in because of the Music theory

That's the four option I can think of

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom