• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
The only thing I feel that one can set their watch to when it comes to Smash speculation is what Pokemon is getting in.

After a while, things become crystal clear, though sad for those who got their hearts broken.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So *IF box theory is true (I'm 70/40) and *IF the game lets us sort by series...

Here it is! Our potential base game roster sorted by series. Thoughts? Sorting was hard, but I think I did alright.
Personally satisfied due to King K. Rool and Ridley. Wished Banjo-Kazooie, Black Shadow and Medusa made it though but I'd still pull out hope for DLC.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
To me, this is the only thing I feel could end up going against Incineroar in the end. Most of the Pokemon that make it in are heavily marketed and big fan favorites. No offense to Incineroar fans and please correct me if I'm wrong, but Incineroar just...doesn't seem very pushed by the Pokemon Company or by fans.
Don't know if it's mentioned. But incineroar actually did play a noticable part in the I choose you! Movie if I recall

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So *IF box theory is true (I'm 70/40) and *IF the game lets us sort by series...

Here it is! Our potential base game roster sorted by series. Thoughts? Sorting was hard, but I think I did alright.
It looks good!

Man, what a great roster. I might be seriously disappointed if anyone calls this roster disappointing tbh.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I wanted to post this earlier but work and life got in the way and, knowing how fast this thread moves, I imagine we are way past what my post is about and sorry if this is maybe off topic.

I asked people what would be an intersting stage ideas for Dragon Quest and I got some interesting replies which made me really want one. It got me interested in other stages based on first and third party properties/games that doesn’t have a rep/without the attachment of an actual represent:

Golden Sun
Pokémon Sun and Moon
Pokken Tournament
Super Mario RPG
ARMs
Nintendo Labo
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Chibi-Robo
Rhythym Heaven
Fossil Fighters
Style Savy
Mach Rider
Urban Champion
StarTropics
Captain Rainbow
Wave Race
1080 Snowboarding
Fatal Frame
Resident Evil
Devil May Cry
Monster Hunter
Tales of Symphonia
Tekken
Digimon
Ninja Gaiden
King of Fighters
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro the Dragon
Kingdom Hearts
Braverly Default
Tomb Raider
Rayman
Assassin’s Creed
Starlink
Minecraft
Banjo-Kazooie
Halo
Killer Instinct
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Fallout
Doom
Overwatch
World of Warcraft
Dark Souls
Darksiders
Mortal Kombat
Half-Life
Far Cry
Star Wars Force Unleashed
Lord of the Rings Shadow of Mordor
Dragon Ball z
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Attack on Titan

Feel free to skip series you aren’t familiar with but I do encourage people

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
While I do agree with that for some things, I do think this is within reason. It's not as if I said, "Inkling and Isabelle don't count because they weren't announced by Sakurai" or something like that. I feel that would be unreasonable.

I'm not sure where you're going with the 2nd half of your reply. Where are you getting that I'm expecting a lot of newcomers from my post? It suggests quite the opposite.
It wasn't directed at you specifically, sorry that it came off as such, but it's a reason why people are so aggressively against the box theory and whenever the final roster gets leaked, the same reactions happen every time and we're just getting them a bit early due to speculation

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

The lack of Shadow and a Kid Icarus character disturbs me

Danpal65

Smash Lord

I mean no one could actually complain with a roster that fantastic. However, I would much prefer another Xenoblade character over Incineroar if that's what we're looking at.

Also. If that's the final roster I don't see any more than 2 characters via DLC then, which I'd be more than okay with.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think are the odds we get a WTF/retro character this time? After Duck Hunt, I've really struggled to find anyone left, so maybe there really won't be one this time.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here's a discussion topic. Of the changes to characters, gameplay, visuals and such what is it that you have found the most exciting and interesting?

Personally I'm liking the huge decrease in down time when being launched. Snapping to where you're launched to and being able tot get back into the fight is really cool and will put more pressure on both the person following up the attack and the person who was launched to react in time.
Late reply but I'm really excited about visuals. I'm one of the six people who liked Brawl's art direction, so seeing detailed textures on characters again is great. And this time they even come with higher saturation, better models and gourgeus effects. Like, seriously, effects are better than any previous Smash game.

So, yeah, this game will be nice to look at and that's great.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What do you guys think are the odds we get a WTF/retro character this time? After Duck Hunt, I've really struggled to find anyone left, so maybe there really won't be one this time.
Girl Phoenix Wright and Mach Rider. If we're going for just pure WTF, the Meteos character was a good fake leak until it was shredded in half and then some more.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I wanted to post this earlier but work and life got in the way and, knowing how fast this thread moves, I imagine we are way past what my post is about and sorry if this is maybe off topic.

I asked people what would be an intersting stage ideas for Dragon Quest and I got some interesting replies which made me really want one. It got me interested in other stages based on first and third party properties/games that doesn’t have a rep/without the attachment of an actual represent:

Golden Sun
Pokémon Sun and Moon
Pokken Tournament
Super Mario RPG
ARMs
Nintendo Labo
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Chibi-Robo
Rhythym Heaven
Fossil Fighters
Style Savy
Mach Rider
Urban Champion
StarTropics
Captain Rainbow
Wave Race
1080 Snowboarding
Fatal Frame
Resident Evil
Devil May Cry
Monster Hunter
Tales of Symphonia
Tekken
Digimon
Ninja Gaiden
King of Fighters
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro the Dragon
Kingdom Hearts
Braverly Default
Tomb Raider
Rayman
Assassin’s Creed
Starlink
Minecraft
Banjo-Kazooie
Halo
Killer Instinct
Fallout
Doom
Overwatch
World of Warcraft
Dark Souls
Darksiders
Mortal Kombat
Half-Life
Far Cry
Dragon Ball z
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Attack on Titan

I literally only care about Kingdom Hearts so that's the one I'll go for.

A Kingdom Hearts stage is either going to be Twilight Town or Dive to the Heart, probably the latter.

There's also an unfortunate lack of Persona in this list, but if we get Joker as a character I expect Mementos as a stage with the Reaper as a stage hazard/boss.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Stages for Golden Sun
Vale
Elemental Star Chamber
Venus Lighthouse Aerie
Weyard (Travelling Stage)
Lemurian Ship
Stages for Digimon
Kowloon (from Digimon: Cyber Sleuth)
Floatia (from Digimon: Next 0rder)
Stages for Crash Bandicoot
N. Sanity Beach (from Crash 1)
Warp Room Top Level (from Crash 2)
Time Twister (from Crash 3)
Stages for Dragon Ball Z
Mount Paozu (aka Goku's House)
Kame House
World Tournament Arena
"Rocky Field"
Planet Namek
Cell Games Arena
Stages for One Piece
Thousand Sunny
(Old) Marineford
Stages for Naruto
Konohagakure
Valley of the End

Phew, how's that?

Last edited:

Chrono.

Don't know if it's mentioned. But incineroar actually did play a noticable part in the I choose you! Movie if I recall
It did, kinda.

It was one of the main rival's Pokemon, and one of the 3 Alolan Pokemon to have a prominent role in the movie at all. That said, that same character also used Midnight Lycanroc, even more so than Incineroar.

Not that it matters much, we already know they plan on pushing it as we saw in the concept art for the anime.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
With Sakurai warning us to lower our expectations towards the newcomer count, and with the extra focus on fan favorites this time around, I think this really might be our first game without a Mr.G&W/ROB/WiiFit type wtf character. I don't even expect one as DLC, as trying to sell one as that would be a bit of a gamble compared to other characters.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I literally only care about Kingdom Hearts so that's the one I'll go for.

A Kingdom Hearts stage is either going to be Twilight Town or Dive to the Heart, probably the latter.

There's also an unfortunate lack of Persona in this list, but if we get Joker as a character I expect Mementos as a stage with the Reaper as a stage hazard/boss.
Dive to Heart would be great, make that a stage and I won't complain even if it's just like Final Destination.

Mementos is a bit hard to imagine in Smash (maybe because it's a tunnel system) but also would be nice. Though maybe Sakurai would just go for Castle of Lust since it's the first dungeon?

With Sakurai warning us to lower our expectations towards the newcomer count, and with the extra focus on fan favorites this time around, I think this really might be our first game without a Mr.G&W/ROB/WiiFit type wtf character. I don't even expect one as DLC, as trying to sell one as that would be a bit of a gamble compared to other characters.
It really depends on your definition of the concept but Smash 64 also had no such character, unless you count Ness or Jigglypuff.

Last edited:

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
we got our WTF character. it was Daisy.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Its possible, there are still a few interesting ones.

Sakurai has thrown around the idea of using Mach Rider instead of Game and Watch during the Melee days, so Mach Rider is possible. Similarly, Excitebike was an AT in Smash Brawl and 4, but the AT is so far missing from Ultimate. The character is roughly Kirby/G+W sized, so it would work if a moveset was logically done, same with Mach Rider.

On top of this, another could be Sable Prince was an AT from 4 who is currently missing, who'd actually be pretty interesting because he also uses a Frog and Snake form to fight as well. (I'd personally vote for this character as a classic/wtf imo based on moveset potential alone).

There are more, just can't think of them atm.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Golden Sun
Pokémon Sun and Moon
Pokken Tournament
Super Mario RPG
ARMs
Nintendo Labo
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Chibi-Robo
Rhythym Heaven
Fossil Fighters
Style Savy
Mach Rider
Urban Champion
StarTropics
Captain Rainbow
Wave Race
1080 Snowboarding
Fatal Frame
Resident Evil
Devil May Cry
Monster Hunter
Tales of Symphonia
Tekken
Digimon
Ninja Gaiden
King of Fighters
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro the Dragon
Kingdom Hearts
Braverly Default
Tomb Raider
Rayman
Assassin’s Creed
Starlink
Minecraft
Banjo-Kazooie
Halo
Killer Instinct
Fallout
Doom
Overwatch
World of Warcraft
Dark Souls
Darksiders
Mortal Kombat
Half-Life
Far Cry
Dragon Ball z
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Attack on Titan

Neat! It's going to be hard for me as I'm less familiar with many of these IPs to go in depth, but here are some of my thoughts.

ARMS: The fake leak showing the arena looked really could, and something like that could be an interesting type of setting. Haven't played the game outside of the demo, so not sure what gimmicks could be associated with it (unless it's the one based on Helix, as slamming into those tubes could be interesting).

Crash Bandicoot: N. Sanity Beach would be a nice nostalgic trip, and curious if TNT boxes could be used, or if that would be better for an item. Or battling on Dr. Neo Cortex's hot air balloon while he shoots laser beams from the background.

Banjo-Kazooie: I've thought about this a lot in depth. Spiral Mountain is more nostalgic, though the top of Grunty's Lair would be more fitting, especially if Gruntilda is a stage boss. She'd fly around on her broomstick, throwing fire balls, and she could be attacked by hitting her in her butt. Grunty's Rhymes could be a Codecs-like feature, where she would mock the characters on screen. Either that, or Brentilda could dish out some secrets of Mario characters ("Mario trims his famous mustache using toe nail clippers!"). And the music's so good.

I was trying to think of other stages of games I've played, though it's difficult for me to remember anything in particular that could make for an interesting Smash stage. Could definitely see some creative ideas with Nintendo Labo, from someone more creative than me. Would love to see a stage around Devil May Cry, Kingdom Hearts, Rayman, and Overwatch. I think it's very likely we'll be getting a Minecraft stage, like with a potential Monster Hunter stage (a stage for a new series assist without a playable character). And the aesthetics look unique to make an interesting stage out of.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

Excellent job, very accurate to how previous Smash have ordered the roster.

This just makes me sad that Smash 5 allegedly is going to order the roster by character's appearance order, instead of grouping by series. Ugh, we're going to have Mario and Luigi near the top, Peach & Bowser separated from them, Bowser Jr near the bottom...if its ordered by their "roster number"

This should be the order.

I would swap Villager and Isabelle with Duck Hunt and Ice Climbers, so that upper right corner is all just for the four "retro" characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright everyone! I've decided to pit Smash characters against each other! We will be treating these fights as actual conflicts. No Smash rules, just you think would win and why.
Here are the matchups:
:ultike:vs:ultlink:
:ultfox:vs:ultsamus:
:ultmewtwo:vs:ultpalutena:
:ultbowser:vs:ultkrool:
:ultfalcon:vs:ultsnake:
:ultmegaman:vs:ultsimon:
:ultlucina:vs:ultmetaknight:
:ultcloud:vs:ultbayonetta:
:ultlucario:vs:ultshulk:
:ultlittlemac:vs:ultryu:
EDIT: Made a thread called "Smash Death Battles!" for this kind of idea if anyone's interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Alright everyone! I've decided to pit Smash characters against each other! We will be treating these fights as actual conflicts. No Smash rules, just you think would win and why.
Here are the matchups:
Link, Samus, Palutena, Bowser, Snake, Mega Man, Lucina, Bayonetta, Shulk and Ryu would be the winners.

There is literally no universe where Shulk could actually lose to Lucario :chuckle:

hposter

Smash Apprentice
Here are the matchups:
not the most educated on all of these characters, but i'll give a crack at a few

:ultfox: vs :ultsamus:
i'd go samus, i don't know toooo much about star fox and metroid so i won't explain why in fear of looking like a goofus

:ultmewtwo: vs :ultpalutena:
palutena. she's a literal god. i mean mewtwo's strong but palutena is a GOD.

:ultlittlemac: vs :ultryu:
ryu. he's by far a more experienced fighter than mac.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Here are the matchups:
> :ultmegaman: vs :ultsimon:

No Smash rules. Meaning Mega Man isn't confined to his Smash moves set.

Meaning he can stop time.

RIP Simon.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Here are the matchups:
IT'S TIME FOR A DEATH BATTLLLLLLLLLLLLL- *clang*

Ike vs Link - Link
Fox vs Samus - Samus
Mewtwo vs Palutena - Palutena
Bowser vs K. Rool - Bowser
Captain Falcon vs Snake - Snake
Mega Man vs Simon Belmont - Mega Man
Lucina vs Meta Knight - Meta Knight
Cloud vs Bayonetta - Bayonetta
Lucario vs Shulk - Shulk
Little Mac vs Ryu - Ryu
---
Round 2!
:ultlink: vs :ultsamus:
:ultpalutena: vs :ultbowser:
:ultsnake: vs :ultmegaman:
:ultmetaknight: vs :ultbayonetta:
:ultshulk: vs :ultryu:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Ik people mention Skull Kid, Geno, Isaac, etc. more often than not, but MAN would I kill for some more villains and heavies. Ultimate definitely is going in the right direction with K. Rool and Ridley, but I'd love it if the remaining 3 of the original 12 could get their villains from their games.

- Yoshi: (Baby Bowser or Kamek) Preferably Kamek since we already have 2 Bowser's (although they are unique) and mage fighters are rare in Smash
- Captain Falcon: Black Shadow (Simply just make him an echo fighter with Melee Ganondorf's moveset....I miss it.)
- Ness: Porky (More villain heavy goodness!) Make him THE heaviest character in the game with an arsenal.
- Kirby: Honestly...any notable villain (Nightmare, Dark Matter Sword Form, Marx, Magalor) but I guess Meta Knight will do

Additionally, there are a few franchises without reputable villains:

- Kid Icarus: Hades/Medusa (Medusa as an Echo works fine to me, but damn Hades would be a sick addition/another heavy villain/mage)
- Sonic: Dr. Eggman/Shadow (Same reason's as Kid Icarus)
- Fire Emblem: Black Knight (Just do it, its super easy with Ike being free for an echo)

And yes, I do want characters like Isaac or Geno, Smash really needs to up it's villain representation. Skull Kid in there as a bonus villain/mage.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Ik people mention Skull Kid, Geno, Isaac, etc. more often than not, but MAN would I kill for some more villains and heavies. Ultimate definitely is going in the right direction with K. Rool and Ridley, but I'd love it if the remaining 3 of the original 12 could get their villains from their games.

- Yoshi: (Baby Bowser or Kamek) Preferably Kamek since we already have 2 Bowser's (although they are unique) and mage fighters are rare in Smash
- Captain Falcon: Black Shadow (Simply just make him an echo fighter with Melee Ganondorf's moveset....I miss it.)
- Ness: Porky (More villain heavy goodness!) Make him THE heaviest character in the game with an arsenal.

Additionally, there are a few franchises without reputable villains:

- Kid Icarus: Hades/Medusa (Medusa as an Echo works fine to me, but damn Hades would be a sick addition/another heavy villain/mage)
- Sonic: Dr. Eggman/Shadow (Same reason's as Kid Icarus)
- Kirby: Honestly...any notable villain (Nightmare, Dark Matter Sword Form, Marx, Magalor) but I guess Meta Knight will do
- Fire Emblem: Black Knight (Just do it, its super easy with Ike being free for an echo)

And yes, I do want characters like Isaac or Geno, Smash really needs to up it's villain representation. Skull Kid in there as a bonus villain/mage.
I'd imagine Incineroar would be a heavy. He has a similar build to Ganondorf moreso than Ryu.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I'd imagine Incineroar would be a heavy. He has a similar build to Ganondorf moreso than Ryu.
Yeah with him being a wrestler archetype, I can totally see him being a slightly lighter Bowser-like fighter with better command grabs. Its part of the reason why I like Incineroar now. Heel fighter fills another pokemon villain role with Mewtwo, and he should be a heavy similar to Charizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom