• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Unless it’s Lyn or Chrom, do we REALLY need another Fire Emblem character?

Like seriously guys, isn’t enough enough at this point, I’m being honest. Like don’t get me wrong I like the series but give some other series the limelight.
Given Sakurai already personally felt FE had too many characters before Corrin was even added, I doubt we are getting anymore FE characters as DLC.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
FE13 sold like hotcakes. I think in a year it was almost ten times the sales of a usual Fire Emblem game (EDIT: I meant ten times the minimum it was supposed to sell or else the series would get canned).
It's gonna get in your face now that its racked in big bucks.

Also FE is a bit notorious at this point for being something I dub "advertisement slots". Some went really well :ultroy: and some did terribly :ultcorrin:.
I agree with this last bit. Like at least Roy became important to the series in a sense because of the fact that his game and 7 were the start of a new era for Fire Emblem in which the series transitioned to Western audiences, Corrin isn't and wasn't important to the franchise I'd argue. (His game didn't do nearly as well as Nintendo hoped it would). Either way Roy was pushing it just a little for DLC but Corrin was basically the breaking point for the series. Any character from this series is gonna cause salt, even the ones I listed before will even though they're fan favorites I have to admit. It's unfortunate because there are actually FE characters I'd love to see, but this is how things have to be, and it sucks, but no one could really do anything.

Roberk

Smash Champion
It's not Hector, so only a half-chub.
Imagine if we just gave Eliwood a lance and had this pkmn trainer idea with Mark and the Blazing Blade trio. It hurts to type because with how much that wouldn’t be awesome I know it’ll never happen.
Would you rather have "ANOTHER SWORD? Fire Emblem sucks!" or a "Fine, I guess! It's different!". Exaggerations maybe, but any new Emblem of the Fire returning would probably warrant angry responses for how much of it is in Smash.

We can't make heads or tails until the new game comes out or we got a lot more info on it in the following months. And hopefully it's better than Fates
Chance, not want. While we don’t know much it’s pretty clear what the roles are of Byleth and the “three”. Byleth being on his own level of importance as an avatar would make more sense for an inclusion rather than having to choose one of the three who have equal significance, regardless of what the community mainly wants.

When it actually comes to wanting Three Houses reps though: “All we want is the girl. Kill the rest.”

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Maybe because Link can still use the Spin Attack in BotW, and if you give Link one Champion Art, you really should be giving him all of them (except maybe Mipha's Grace).
Yeah, but the fact that the other two link's have the same recovery just makes it all the more confusing, him having the champion abilities besides mipha's would represent botw so much more then a remote bomb.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Imagine if we just gave Eliwood a lance and had this pkmn trainer idea with Mark and the Blazing Blade trio. It hurts to type because with how much that wouldn’t be awesome I know it’ll never happen.
Lyn, Eliwood and Hector. Down Special is "Warp Powder", allowing you to switch them out.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I still stand by that Fates is the worst game Nintendo has ever put out so. Yeah pretty much.
(I don't know any other nintendo game that gives you 8 adopted siblings and 1 blood cousin to have incestual relations with so)
Just for that it is the worst game ever? You have abominable taste. You probably like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde on NES.

Uhh yeah he is. He's the player's avatar. And he has everything the other three characters have because he's their teacher. So he's pretty much the perfect choice. He couldn't be any more main of a character than that.
And Byleth is the most boring by the numbers character ever.

Would you rather have "ANOTHER SWORD? Fire Emblem sucks!" or a "Fine, I guess! It's different!". Exaggerations maybe, but any new Emblem of the Fire returning would probably warrant angry responses for how much of it is in Smash.

We can't make heads or tails until the new game comes out or we got a lot more info on it in the following months. And hopefully it's better than Fates
Conquest is a top 5 FE game tho.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel that outside Corrin, every other FE character got in without the consideration of oversaturation. You can dissect the thought process for pretty much all of them pretty simply

1. Marth is the proto-Lord so obviously he was going to be THE representative.
2. Ike replaced was given more priority over Roy as he was more relevant and marked FE's celebrated return to home consoles on top of being a convenient template for Sakurai's heavy swordsman archetype.
3. Robin represented the rebirth of FE as a massive hit seller (and shipping sim)
Now these 3 are easy enough to justify for people, but everyone else feels like it's hard to swallow the next 3 in addition to the previous.

4. Lucina was a copy-paste and so was Melee Roy.
5. Remade Roy (which imo should've never come back) was a result of Melee nostalgia and fan request so to the cries of "Roy's our Boy" he was added back.
6. By far the actual worst, Corrin was Western promotion for Fates and squeezed in as a Greninja, aka someone who got in purely due to moveset potential.

TLDR, the whole FE debacle is just an unfortunate mix of reasonable characters, Sakurai's love of clones as """bonuses""", and his unflinching desire to keep Smash tradition.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
No yeah, I'd actually love Lyn, Hector, Chrom, Tiki, Anna, Azura, or Celica in Smash, it's just a shame that any one of these characters is going to multiple people upset over their inclusion because of this mentality, and I can't help but agree, Fire Emblem isn't nearly as big as it should be to have as many characters as Zelda, five I'd say was definitely a reasonable amount. (Emphasis on the word reasonable)

Roberk

Smash Champion
I think people kinda overstate this. Fire Emblem did really well, but it's not even close, and I meant not even kinda close to smelling the same air as Nintendo's big boys. The idea that Fire Emblem has as many characters as Mario or Pokemon based on a game doing well is a bit absurd. It's honestly probably just easy to add Fire Emblem characters. They're mostly just anime people swinging swords or other weapons around so most of the characters in the series are workable as playable characters, and everyone in the same class fights the same so it's easy to make clones.

That said, you suffer in the end because every single playable Fire Emblem character in Smash Bros. is just a pretty anime person with a sword which doesn't help variety, regardless of their abilities. Part of what turned me off to Smash 4 was the fact that so many newcomers were just people.
Heroes has made Nintendo about the same or even more money than Pokemon Go (not total, just what goes into Nintendo’s pockets). To even be compared to PoGO is quite the feat.

While Awakening and Fates each above 2 mil (I think?) doesn’t sound amazing compared to other franchises, this isn’t the franchise that doesn’t get any actual marketing and is released the week of stuff like Super Mario Galaxy and Odyssey. I think they are putting more focus on it because they realized if they put the minimal amount of effort into marketing into it like Awakening FE can go from near death to easily breaking 2 mil. (And hundreds of millions of dollars with Heroes). It’s not a Pokemon/Mario/Zelda, but you have to imagine the jump of improvement and how a big business looks at that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
...I think the obvious answer is Nightmare from Soul Calibur. The guy out to devour Souls.

I dunno, maybe I'm just biased.

Man, I wish I had anything meaningful to say about anything you guys had been talking about today. XD I'm starting to mentally cramp on the cataloguing front so I think I'm going to take a break and do something else for a bit (I've catalogued 193 characters and I'm not even half done! Geez louise!)

By the way, @Zinith, did you know Boshi is not the least wanted character? He has at least two supporters (you and one other), there's a character out there with only one. There are also other characters with only two supporters.
For curiosity's sake, how many supporters do Cpt. Syrup, Mona and the various Kongs have?

Just for that it is the worst game ever? You have abominable taste. You probably like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde on NES.
Assuming that anything is worse than Urban Champion is an insult, really.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I love opinion wars.

FE games that are inferior to Conquest:

FE1: Duh
FE2: I rather play Mother than this.
FE4: Sluggish and boring.
FE7: Overrated relic
FE9: Trash in every sense.
FE10: Take FE9 and make it 10 times worse
Revelations: Trash
Birthright: Mediocre like FE7
Echoes: Garbage in every way possible.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
For curiosity's sake, how many supporters do Cpt. Syrup, Mona and the various Kongs have?
Haven't found Captain Syrup's board yet. I'm taking a break, as I've stated. But I can answer (most of) your other questions!
3rd Place - Dixie Kong (202 Supporters)
44th Place - Lanky Kong (25 Supporters)
45th Place - Funky Kong (24 Supporters)
52nd Place - Cranky Kong (21 Supporters)
73rd Place - Mona (15 Supporters)

I haven't seen Donkey Kong Jr., Kiddy Kong or Tiny Kong. (I'm not surprised for Kiddy Kong, tbh. XD)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I didn't ask for this. Guess I'm eating raw opinions for dinner.
Doesn't Tharcia 776 have terrible translations

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
And Byleth is the most boring by the numbers character ever.
Yeah, a Fire Emblem character with the abilities of various classes sounds really boring. Weird that you can make that judgement when you know literally nothing about his personality and clearly nothing about him period.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Haven't found Captain Syrup's board yet. I'm taking a break, as I've stated. But I can answer (most of) your other questions!
3rd Place - Dixie Kong (202 Supporters)
44th Place - Lanky Kong (25 Supporters)
45th Place - Funky Kong (24 Supporters)
52nd Place - Cranky Kong (21 Supporters)
73rd Place - Mona (15 Supporters)

I haven't seen Donkey Kong Jr., Kiddy Kong or Tiny Kong. (I'm not surprised for Kiddy Kong, tbh. XD)
Aww, not even Chunky. Still, it pleases me that Funky and Cranky get nearly equal love as Lanky.

It really sucks for Mona though, gal barely got noticed. I doubt Syrup did much better.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, a Fire Emblem character with the abilities of various classes sounds really boring.
Any unit can be any class given they fall within the right requirements (except Marth he's pure lord because lore and the game just wont let you reclass him)
if you're looking for classes that switch on the fly, I don't recall Byleth being a dancer/freelancer/bard.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think we've got too many Fremblems, but if we do get another one it better be my wife Tharja.
Seriously though, I don't keep up with the series so I don't know who it could be, iv'e only played Awakening.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think we've got too many Fremblems, but if we do get another one it better be my wife Tharja.
Seriously though, I don't keep up with the series so I don't know who it could be.
Not even a chance of that happening.

Recall?! The game isn't even out yet.
It's ****ing Fire Emblem did you not know you could reclass units? It's a gimmick staple in the series.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ladies, ladies. I have the perfect compromise.
Itsuki_Aoi.png

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

Why was Conquest so good? I have played all three of the paths and Conquest is my least played easily.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Is that a bad thing?

I mean, yeah, that's true, but what's wrong with that?
In my eyes? Nothing.
Aww, not even Chunky. Still, it pleases me that Funky and Cranky get nearly equal love as Lanky.

It really sucks for Mona though, gal barely got noticed. I doubt Syrup did much better.
Well, I haven't seen Chunky's either. XD
I am at the point where any character's thread I see will probably have Supporters sub 20, maybe even single digits, so... yeah.

---

Bandana Dee is actually 15th place with an estimated 61 supporters, but that's going merely by "First Posts Likes" + original post, so he could be way higher.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's ****ing Fire Emblem did you not know you could reclass units? It's a gimmick staple in the series.
Don't be obtuse. I said the game isn't even out yet, because you said you don't recall Byleth being a dancer/freelancer/bard. I never said you couldn't reclass units.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Could Soul be Skull Kid?

The whole deal with most of the masks/if not all? is about souls. Resting, assisting, fighting. It would make sense.
I would say Skull Kid for first party, but obvious Nightmare from Soul Calibur for 3rd Party. Rather hoping for the first in this case tho.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I didn't ask for this. Guess I'm eating raw opinions for dinner.
Doesn't Tharcia 776 have terrible translations
The translation doesn't directly affect the quality of the game.

Yeah, a Fire Emblem character with the abilities of various classes sounds really boring. Weird that you can make that judgement when you know literally nothing about his personality and clearly nothing about him period.
Corn, Robin and Lucina also have multiple classes. Byleth looks boring, he looks like a photoshopped Ephraim and with much anime sowrdfighters we have already I don't see what he can bring to the table.

Why was Conquest so good? I have played all three of the paths and Conquest is my least played easily.
Best gameplay out of the 3.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
PSA: The Unpopular Video Game opinions thread is over here if you want to give out your hot takes without ****ting up this thread.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Don't be obtuse. I said the game isn't even out yet, because you said you don't recall Byleth being a dancer/freelancer/bard. I never said you couldn't reclass units.
Yeah
Because I didn't know if his default class was already revealed or not. The only class that describes what you commented was within those three classes I described.

Ladies, ladies. I have the perfect compromise.
NO STOP PLEASE

KMDP

Smash Legend
KMDP, have you gotten to Karate Joe from Rhythm Heaven yet? How is he doing?
Karate Joe has the same number of Supporters as Mona (15), which means they're both joint 72nd place.

They share the Joint 72nd Spot with Incineroar, Tom Nook, "A Pro Wrestling Character", Roll, Heihachi, Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) and Earthworm Jim.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey about we wait till we get more info from Three Houses before we go on making any kind of wild assumptions.

I know speculation's fun and all, but you're arguing over someone whom we know no story, personality, potential design changes, presence, importance, fighting style, yadda yadda and who we know for a fact is a 99.99% impossibility for Smash.

Chill yall.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Karate Joe has the same number of Supporters as Mona, which means they're both joint 72nd place.

They share the Joint 72nd Spot with Incineroar, Tom Nook, "A Pro Wrestling Character", Roll, Heihachi, Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) and Earthworm Jim.
Oh you're keeping track?
In that case, could you please tell me how Ashley's doing?

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
This literally made me wheeze laugh like you actually looked at my post where I said the game literally romanticizes and glorifies incest unironically and you typed that out. You did that. You used your hands and typed this message out. I really hope you were joking.
You can't think of a single reason why I might consider it the worst Nintendo game? Like any reason at all?

Do you want me to make a thread? A thread explaining why it's the worst one? I'll really do it, it's really easy to do if the first checkmark is 9 seperate cases of incest romances the game pushes on you, I didn't even mention the scumbag cashgrabbiness of the game

If anyone wants a good explanation on my mindset here's a video from one of my old favorite youtubers STAR, who plays an online game he considers "the worst videogame he's ever played" and he explains why:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom