• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Fun Fact: Pit now says “I NEVER LEARNED HOW TO READ!” in his star K.O.
Really? See? This is one of many reasons why I want Meowth to be a playable fighter in Smash. So Meowth would say "Looks like Team Rocket is blasting off again!" in his Star KO. :052:

D

Deleted member

Very interesting leak, and I got two predictions right if that's true. (Please do not let Dixie be an echo Sakurai, I beg you)
Remember when Lucina was announced in the same Trailer as Robin?

Yeah..........not a good sign.

Speaking of Simon and anime, if we get him in which I’m sure we will, it HAS to be this design:

It fits more with Castlevania’s tone and atmosphere more than his old school 80s design tbh don’t @ me
No thanks.

This is THE True Simon Belmont for me and many people that grew up with the character.

I don't want the Simon that looks like a Bishonen Anti-Hero, i want a barbaric man that will stand out among the likes of Marth, Link and Cloud. The gothic design just makes Simon lose his appeal in my opinion (well already have quite enough gothic pretty boys in Casltevania like Alucard and Soma, Simon is better off as the Barbaric Vampire Hunter because it makes him stand out from other characters in his own series and in Smash)

Not to mention, This is the design Konami is using to advertise Simon in Girmoire of Souls and Super Bomberman R:

Also Sakurai has a history of preferring Classic Designs over modern ones (Mega Man and Pac-Man) or making the Classic Design the main one (FF7 Cloud is the main design and AC is the Alt) and since Castlevania had a big impact on Sakurai during his early gamer days as much as Zelda, which design do you think he's gonna choose?

The one that dates back all the way back to the 80's where Sakurai played games and is clearly visible on the game's cover art?

or the one that appeared in an obscure 2001 game and is no longer used as the main design in advertising as evidenced by Grimoire of Souls and Super Bomberman R?

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Speaking of Simon and anime, if we get him in which I’m sure we will, it HAS to be this design:

It fits more with Castlevania’s tone and atmosphere more than his old school 80s design tbh don’t @ me
I completely agree, this design is definitely more with the times and overall represents him better (This design was already in a fighting game after all)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Oh it was? Which fighting game?
Glad you asked!
DreamMix_TV_World_Fighters_Coverart.png

Allow me to introduce you to this hidden gem, released in Japan only, Dream Mix TV World Fighters brought characters from Konami (Snake, Simon), Hudson (Bomberman, Master Higgens), and Takara (Beyblade, ****ING Optimus Prime), and was stylized like Smash.

Also look closely at Snake's moveset, some things may seem familiar. ;)

D

Deleted member

Oh it was? Which fighting game?
DreamMix TV World Fighters. It's a Japan only game that crosses over Konami with Hudson (who wasn't owned by Konami at the time) with Takara Tomy.

So if you thought Snake was out of place in Smash...
download.jpg

Now you can have Snake fight Optimus Prime. And yeah, it also uses that design of Simon people seem to like.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Glad you asked!
View attachment 152757
Allow me to introduce you to this hidden gem, released in Japan only, Dream Mix TV World Fighters brought characters from Konami (Snake, Simon), Hudson (Bomberman, Master Higgens), and Takara (Beyblade, ****ING Optimus Prime), and was stylized like Smash.

Also look closely at Snake's moveset, some things may seem familiar. ;)
DreamMix TV World Fighters. It's a Japan only game that crosses over Konami with Hudson (who wasn't owned by Konami at the time) with Takara Tomy.

So if you thought Snake was out of place in Smash...
View attachment 152758

Now you can have Snake fight Optimus Prime. And yeah, it also uses that design of Simon people seem to like.
It's still a shame that this is the only crossover fighting game Master Higgins is in. Guy's been lost to time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’d imagine the Takara Tomy thing was what held it back from a Western localization, particularly cause Beyblade was new in the West at the time iirc

And Optimus Prime would probably cause a LOT of hurdles rights-wise haha

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I usually ignore comments like this but for an opinion this comes pretty close to being objectively wrong. Fates wasn't even close to being the worst game Nintendo put out in just 2015 yet alone ever. Remember Amiibo Festival?
Yep and it's still better than Fates, 0 vs -4

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Chibi Robo strikes me as one of those characters that was talked a lot about before, but no one is guessing now and everyone has written off, but if he happened everyone in hindsight would be all "yeah he was obvious, good moveset potential, sakurai and nintendo were clearly pushing him when smash ultimate was in development etc..."
It's a little annoying when that happens, especially after 12 long years of being written off by almost everyone. :4duckhunt:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Link and Zelda’s have changed.

Fortunately the Nintendo Treehouse made such a big deal about that beautiful line (confirms he and Snake will reuse fighting voice clips but will say new things)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If they bring back the Codecs, all new codecs will probably have to avoid using Colonel Roy Campbell, as iirc the character was retired after the Japanese VO’s death in what? 2009? 2010? Unless a new Japanese VO is casted for the Colonel, in which case they’d have to redo all the codecs from the beginning.

D

Deleted member

Im gonna be pissed if this part of the Leak is real though:

A trailer for a New Super Mario Bros Switch game is show titled New Super Mario World and every level is painted in the way that 5-1 in NSMBU was. The trailer shows Mario, Luigi and Blue Toad as playable characters however Yellow Toad is removed. Instead it is revealed that Wario is going to be playable instead.

I mean come on.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’d imagine the Takara Tomy thing was what held it back from a Western localization, particularly cause Beyblade was new in the West at the time iirc

And Optimus Prime would probably cause a LOT of hurdles rights-wise haha
That is true, Beyblade only came to the west a few months after the release of this game.

Optimus would have been a licensing nightmare because of Hasbro.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If they bring back the Codecs, all new codecs will probably have to avoid using Colonel Roy Campbell, as iirc the character was retired after the Japanese VO’s death in what? 2009? 2010? Unless a new Japanese VO is casted for the Colonel, in which case they’d have to redo all the codecs from the beginning.
I don't care I just want Paul Eiding back.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Link and Zelda’s have changed.

Fortunately the Nintendo Treehouse made such a big deal about that beautiful line (confirms he and Snake will reuse fighting voice clips but will say new things)
Hopefully this means Yoshi can use his new death cry. You know the one.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m definitely not against the Kid Icarus and Metal Gear Solid crew redoing every single guidance/codec call with new lines (maybe alts other than Male WFT can get special convos made for them, Koopalings specifically)
Hopefully this means Yoshi can use his new death cry. You know the one.
I do not...but I wanna know

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm feeling bit like that might get old fast incase Star KOs are gonna be more frequent than in 4.

Maybe just me though, I like the idea - just dunno about it replacing the regular Star KO voice clips outright. :ohwell:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It never made sense to me that some people would compare Spring Man's circumstances as an ARMS character to Chrom's circumstances for pre-Smash 4 speculation. They're really not comparable.

D

Deleted member

Just use Miller instead of Colonel Campbell so that Corrin's codec can be a voice actor joke that only works in the US version.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If that leak were true, imagine the RAGE Waluigi fans would have if the New Super Mario World game DID INDEED swap out Yellow Toad for Wario but NOT Blue Toad. It's bad enough as it is.
Sure, blame Toad for Waluigi not getting in New Super Mario Bros. Switch. :rolleyes:

Toad didn't even get in Smash either but you don't see Toad fans harassing Sakurai. :facepalm:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do not...but I wanna know
Basically, it sounds like babbling with the tongue really fast.

I'm gonna say something kinda weird here...

Whats the ONE Smash character you would really love to have in that has literally 0 chance of being in Smash Brothers...

Because for me, it's Jehuty from Zone of the Enders. It would be totally rad just to play as them, but not only does nobody know who the hell they are... Jehuty would either be uncharacteristically heavy and slow, or would have some changes to them that would offset them being big and fast
Earthworm Jim. The series has been in Japan at least twice, and it'd be easy to make a moveset for him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Come to think of it, some old codecs will need to be redone because they mention Brawl by name.

(Jigglypuff Codec) "Takes all kinds, Snake. Especially here in Brawl."
(Sonic Codec) "But everyone loves Sonic. He's a big star. Do you have any idea how excited people are that he's here in Brawl?"

Zeox

Smash Champion
If anyone wants the leak for reference refer to this post:
sounds good but hard to believe.
The fact that they would make so many amiibos, even for the masked man, sounds weird.
So yeah, I'm not gonna believe the first leak that says something i want to happen because is as credible as the rest.

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
Come to think of it, some old codecs will need to be redone because they mention Brawl by name.

(Jigglypuff Codec) "Takes all kinds, Snake. Especially here in Brawl."
(Sonic Codec) "But everyone loves Sonic. He's a big star. Do you have any idea how excited people are that he's here in Brawl?"
They can replace Brawl with Ultimate but Sonic's really needs to be redone

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
His point was that Waluigi fans would go nuts again, he wasn't blaming Toad for anything
Why are you always like this? ****ting on every fanbase.
Don't you get that there are individuals who are accountable for their own actions?
You just blame the whole game, instead of the player. I don't get this kind of attitude, it's kinda like bullying, really.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
sounds good but hard to believe.
The fact that they would make so many amiibos, even for the masked man, sounds weird.
So yeah, I'm not gonna believe the first leak that says something i want to happen because is as credible as the rest.
The fact that LUCAS of all characters, from the EARTHBOUND series, would get TWO Amiibos, is hard to believe

And now that I think about it shouldn't the game be called Earthbound 3D instead of Mother 3D?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They can replace Brawl with Ultimate but Sonic's really needs to be redone
Not possible. If they're not using the Colonel, then they can't switch out the voice clip on the Jigglypuff one.

Sonic's is great though. I love that Snake hates Sonic for no reason.

Polan

Smash Lord
waluigi getting shafted gives me life. tho why are we treating this leak as potentially real? there's been a bunch of times that a leak got something right just by virtue of sheer dumb luck yet everything else was a fake. just seems like a recipe for disappointment to treat this one as real.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Remember when Lucina was announced in the same Trailer as Robin?

Yeah..........not a good sign.

No thanks.

This is true Simon Belmont for me and many people that grew up with the character.

I don't want the Simon that looks like a Bishonen Anti-Hero, i want a barbaric man that will stand out among the likes of Marth, Link and Cloud. The gothic design just makes Simon lose his appeal in my opinion (well already have quite enough gothic pretty boys in Casltevania like Alucard and Soma, Simon is better off as the Barbaric Vampire Hunter because it makes him stand out from other characters in his own series and in Smash)

Not to mention, This is the design Konami is using to advertise Simon in Girmoire of Souls and Super Bomberman R:

Also Sakurai has a history of preferring Classic Designs over modern ones (Mega Man and Pac-Man) or making the Classic Design the main one (FF7 Cloud is the main design and AC is the Alt) and since Castlevania had a big impact on Sakurai during his early gamer days as much as Zelda, which design do you think he's gonna choose?

The one that dates back all the way back to the 80's where Sakurai played games and is clearly visible on the game's cover art?

or the one that appeared in an obscure 2001 game and is no longer used as the main design in advertising as evidenced by Grimoire of Souls and Super Bomberman R?
Knowing Sakurai, and looking at characters like Bayonetta, Cloud, Ridley, Ike, etc. wouldn't it be more likely if both of his appearances were in as alternate costumes?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Funko Pop! aren't that big of a stretch to guess really. They have one for everything - movies, shows, games, etc.

The Mario Kart 8 DLC is interesting, but the leak just sounds too good to be true. Like no way Nintendo is about to casually drop all this info.
And I can't see some of these games releasing on the Switch - like Cuphead. Seems like the leaker's just cashing in on all the Nintendo-Microsoft speculation

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly those New Super Mario games shouldn't have Wario OR Waluigi.

Those games should be where they do Super Mario Bros 2 style **** and just have Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad. But I supposed they did that with Super Mario 3D World to a degree.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Don't you get that there are individuals who are accountable for their own actions?
You just blame the whole game, instead of the player. I don't get this kind of attitude, it's kinda like bullying, really.
I'm not even ****ting on a fanbase this time though? I was explaining what Rad meant

D

Deleted member

Knowing Sakurai, and looking at characters like Bayonetta, Cloud, Ridley, Ike, etc. wouldn't it be more likely if both of his appearances were in as alternate costumes?
That's a possibility too. In fact i think it's the most likely scenario right now.

But even in that case i see Blonde Barbarian Simon as the default one.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
She wasn't? She was defending a guy?

Did you misquote her or?

If you ask me Arcadenik Arcadenik was the one "bullying." Let the Waluigi **** go already.

No fanbase is better than any other fanbase. Stop looking for chances to get petty jabs at fanbases you aren't a part of. Its perfectly reasonable to want a character you like to be included in something and its perfectly reasonable to be critical of a company for ignoring its characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom