• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct Thread - 8.8.2018

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
When you're "argument" is based on something as arbitrary as "cooler" or "memorable" there isn't anything to say.
That's how Sakurai picks characters man

Isn't Dark Pit already Pit's Rival?
The YouTube video says rivals, but most of those characters are the main villain of the series. Dark Pit also isn't that evil in Kid Icarus Uprising, he helps Pit many times, including to save Palutena. He says he's not loyal to Palutena or Medusa. He's his own character and he just chooses what he wants to do, but he says he's the real/better Pit.

Shroob

Sup?
The YouTube video says rivals, but most of those characters are the main villain of the series. Dark Pit also isn't that evil in Kid Icarus Uprising, he helps Pit many times, including to save Palutena. He says he's not loyal to Palutena or Medusa. He's his own character and he just chooses what he wants to do, but he says he's the real/better Pit.
I mean, Meta Knight isn't evil either. If anything, King DeDeDe should have been picked to represent Kirby's 'villain', unless they're going to do something like bring out Marx later.

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
I mean, Meta Knight isn't evil either. If anything, King DeDeDe should have been picked to represent Kirby's 'villain', unless they're going to do something like bring out Marx later.
Yeah, I get that. Star Wolf isn't such a bad guy, either. Maybe Kid Icarus Uprising won't get anymore representation. But they have so many great characters, I think it's warranted. And Sakurai made that game so it'd be the easiest character to include.

Oh, but they didn't include Dark Pit in the "Rivals" lineup, so there's still a chance.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
That Smash direct was amazing.

Not only that, but I have much more optimism for Lloyd since his DLC Mii Costume was released alongside K. Rool and Chrom.

And the fact that August was a Smash Direct gives a little plausibility of the general Nintendo Direct being September which has the September 24th Direct rumor. And so far nothing in that rumor contradicts with Verben's or Loz's information. I hope that rumor is real(it's my birthday 2 days before the deadline).

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
So when are we getting the new characters' icons and renders for posts and profiles?

SweetestB0i

Smash Rookie
1: No one's denying that Ice Climbers were coming back, that much was a given.

2: Konami has been on a bit of a stink for, well the longest time now. Between firing Kojima, leaving the Metal Gear franchise with......survive....... and making Castlevania into Pachinkoslots, the company has basically been anything but gamer friendly. Snake is a gaming icon, but here's the thing, we know Kojima wanted Snake in Smash4(At least, I believe that interview is still touted as true), but Sakurai didn't, most likely due to the legal mumbo jumbo it would entail.

Now does that mean Snake was 'impossible'? No, absolutely not, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if Snake went through a lot of red tape, especially since his series icon changed from the foxhound logo to the !

3: The biggest problem with Ridley by and large has been his size. Sakurai even says now that he 'made it work' this time, but I don't think you were here when people saw new Ridley. Some people legit thought he looked TOO SMALL.

Of course, Ridley is a HUGE star and deserved to get in Smash, and every fake leak throws in Ridley because 'hurr durr Ridley', so while I can't confirm or deny it helps the leak, his size has always been an issue.

4: No, Simon wasn't 'a given'. People were already SUPER sketchy on Snake even coming back, and if Snake couldn't be in, then Simon obviously wasn't going to get in either. The only reason people started touting Simon en-masse was due to Verg.

And no, Verg had only 'heard' from a person that "No DK", he didn't stand by that claim since said person got that information from a random 4chan leak.

Besides, at the end of the day, Verg has only promised 2 characters who have yet to be shown, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, and a Gen 7 mon' that's not Decidueye, Mimikyu or Lycanroc.

Mimikyu got knocked out of the race today, so that's 1/3, and I think a new Pokemon character is almost a given to be frank.

I'm not saying Verg is right but, he only has 2 characters left anyway, so whether he's right or he's wrong, it doesn't 'really' matter when he doesn't even have that much info to give anyway.
I definitely agree, I can't deny he's gotten a lot of stuff right so far. My problem isn't really with Vergeben it's more with the people treating him like an all knowing god. He's gotten a lot of things right, no doubt, but to me a lot of his predictions have seemed pretty easy to guess or just use reasoning to figure out. Maybe he has insider knowledge, or maybe he's just figuring things out, there's no way anyone could know. I just think people need to take his leaks with a little more skepticism and stop acting like Vergeben's word is law.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm very perplexed about the new classic mode. Rather than combining the randomness of Melee and Brawl, they trashed them and returned to the predictability of Super Smash Bros. 64. WTF!?
It's a different set for each character though. It may not have the random matchups of Melee or the set Series with random characters with Brawl. But have plenty of opportunities for the team to think about which characters are suitable for each character to fight along the way to Master Hand. The heroes fight their main villain or rival if they're in Smash along the way along with any other characters that may have a perceived rivalry in some way or another (Example: Chrom getting Captain Falcon in his run in relation to the Robin/Lucina trailer in Smash 4. Getting revenge and all that)

Even if there are matchups that seem to make no sense whatsoever. That's just time for the fandom to fill in the gaps on why they fight.

Ghostgar

Smash Rookie
I'm really hoping that the green blurred part is something similar to subspace (think of how cool that would be now that we've got all these characters) or It may be something like a boss rush mode, whether that's just beefed up pc's or the stage boss like the Rathalos, Yellow Devil, or Dracula

MissingNumbers

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissingN
3DS FC
1048-8190-3701
I'm very perplexed about the new classic mode. Rather than combining the randomness of Melee and Brawl, they trashed them and returned to the predictability of Super Smash Bros. 64. WTF!?
You missed a detail: Every character has their own path to take. So while yes, it's predetermined and predictable, each character has a different set of challenges instead of literally every character playing through the same one.

Yarael-BJ-Poof

Smash Cadet
You missed a detail: Every character has their own path to take. So while yes, it's predetermined and predictable, each character has a different set of challenges instead of literally every character playing through the same one.
It wouldn't really be the same one tho, there's 70+ characters and 103 stages. Which is why it's kind of sad that it won't be crazy randomness anymore

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
It wouldn't really be the same one tho, there's 70+ characters and 103 stages. Which is why it's kind of sad that it won't be crazy randomness anymore
Personally, when it comes to a giant roster like Ultimate, I would prefer NOT to have the randomness. Smash WiiU/3Ds' Classic Mode was difficult to get through (especially on higher difficulties), and considering how much stuff can happen with certain characters and their AIs along with item drops and win conditions, you basically had to cross your fingers. Jigglypuff, for example, is one of the hardest characters to beat Classic Mode with due to how light she is. Knowing and learning what kind of fighers she'll face will make it a lot less frustrating.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Edit: Wrong thread

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Medusa is still the most memorable villain of the Kid Icarus series regardless. Hades is cool, but not as memorable. He's a one-game wonder, and a bit overrated in that way.
This is very very debatable. I think you're the only person I've heard say this... ever.

If Medusa is more memorable as you say, then it seems odd that Hades appears to have a much bigger fanbase. I honestly don't even remember much about KIU, but Hades sticks with me much more than Medusa did, his dialogue in particular and the part where you literally go inside him for a while. I don't even really remember what she did in that game.

Also unsure how we can label Hades as a one-game wonder when there hasn't been any game since Uprising.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is very very debatable. I think you're the only person I've heard say this... ever.

If Medusa is more memorable as you say, then it seems odd that Hades appears to have a much bigger fanbase. I honestly don't even remember much about KIU, but Hades sticks with me much more than Medusa did, his dialogue in particular and the part where you literally go inside him for a while. I don't even really remember what she did in that game.

Also unsure how we can label Hades as a one-game wonder when there hasn't been any game since Uprising.
One-game wonder just means they have no other game appearances. Whether the series continues or not doesn't change that factor. Though yeah, that does feel misleading. Good point.

Medusa has been in more games, which makes her more memorable as a Kid Icarus villain overall. Hades is still memorable in his own right, but she still wins by virtue of having more appearances. People easily know who she is. It also helps she fits the character design of multiple overall series who use the character in general, so she's easy to figure out who she is. Hercules too. Hades, as in the Kid Icarus character, is very unique from the other interpretations, especially design-wise(though his trollish nature is kept from some interpretations. He's also not actually evil in the Greek Pantheon proper, just neutral. It's kind of like how people view undead magic as an automatic evil user, when that's not really accurate. They just can't fall under the good alignment at best due to using unholy magic).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

How many of those fans grew up with Kid Icarus and it's sequel? I ask

Because I actually did an I prefer Medusa

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This is a funny and ridiculous conversation.

Id argue most people have barely played any Kid Icarus games, and that its lack of prominence doesnt warrant it as much as it already has in the game.

So what?

Top Bottom