• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct Thread - 8.8.2018

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Welcome to the Official Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct thread! Feel free to discuss any and all things related to the upcoming Direct including reactions, predictions, or overall hype! Just remember to keep it civil and hype responsibly!

Streams and updates will be added as they become available.
Official Nintendo Direct Livestream:

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm really feeling this will be a great Direct

Edit: FIRST POST

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
The one thing I'm definitely sure of, it will end off with a character reveal. Every Smash Direct does. I'm 50/50 on it also starting off with one.

pjiscool2000

Smash Rookie
NNID
pjiscool2000
We are gonna get at least one completely new character. I really want King K. Rool lol, even tho my only exposure to him was through Super Mario Sluggers on the Wii. We will also see some new echo fighters for sure. Maybe Shadow and Ken? Also i'm hyped asf to see some new type of story mode. Even if it isn't as grand as Subspace.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
It's gonna be a great time. Sakurai has never disappointed when he's involved in a direct. It's gonna be awesome.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I can't help but go into this Direct with high expectations. They've shown us so ****ing much about this game already, what else could they have to show that warrants an entire Direct dedicated to nothing but Smash?

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I suddenly had the idea of tomorrow's newcomer being a Fire Emble rep and all my hype disappeared for a bit. I truuuly hope that they announce a newcomer for a new or underrepresented series.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
This is gonna be a good direct. Can't wait to see all the disconfirmations.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm hoping for a Cloud/Snake tier reveal. Something to top Neagan in Tekken.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I went with my gut last time and accurately predicted tit was gonna be called Ultimate, so this time I will do the same and say that K Rool or Geno will be revealed. Why them? No idea. Just my gut feeling.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I suddenly had the idea of tomorrow's newcomer being a Fire Emble rep and all my hype disappeared for a bit. I truuuly hope that they announce a newcomer for a new or underrepresented series.
I seriously doubt we'll be getting anymore FE newcomers - even Sakurai admitted there might be too many. And even if we did, they'll have to be really unique in either concept or playstyle to justify it.

splat

Smash Lord
I'm just curious what the Direct theme will be. I mean, last time we had the 'Everone is here!' thematic, before that we had the '50 Fact Extravaganza'.

I'd like a 'They are everywhere!' theme, for stages.
(Yes, I know Bill said not every stage will return.)

D

Deleted member

Is everyone ready for Freddy?

Tomorrow is the 4 year anniversary of FNAF after all. :p

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I'm just curious what the Direct theme will be. I mean, last time we had the 'Everone is here!' thematic, before that we had the '50 Fact Extravaganza'.

I'd like a 'They are everywhere!' theme, for stages.
(Yes, I know Bill said not every stage will return.)
Everywhere is Here!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Meanwhile a new Fire Emblem character would be one of the few things left that'd really excite me, depending on who it is, haha.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I don’t know why but I really have a feeling that Elma will get revealed tomorrow.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My expectations for tomorrow character wise are one or both of Elma and/or Bandana Dee. Maybe one or two echoes, I’m guessing Chrom and/or Isabelle.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I dunno why but I've got a gut feeling that we'll get more than one character and one of them will be someone who nobody is expecting. I just find the prospect of learning about more newcomers exciting as we'll finally have more of an idea on how Sakurai's picking them this time around.

EDIT - Think I double posted on accident due to less than stellar internet. Apologies.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
My prediction:

- Game's intro starts off direct.
- Sakurai talks about characters that didn't get talked about at E3. (Options include: :ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultjigglypuff::ultlucario::ultluigi::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultsheik::ultdarkpit::ultridley::ultrosalina::ultroy::ulttoonlink::ultwario:)
- More stages revealed (New Donk City, Jungle Japes, Halberd, Palutena's Temple are my guesses). Stage list revealed on website after direct. Hazard toggle demonstrated.
- New items shown off, alongside new ATs and PokeBalls. Item section opens on Website.
- Modes shown off: Classic, All-Star, Stadium, Special Smash
- New mode shown off
- Demo will be available for download for local play after presentation. Online play "Test Smash" dates will be shown off. Build is a modified demo (Bayo nerfs, 3 more characters included in Demo).
- New character trailer, showing off Dixie as an echo (Dixie Whirls In!?), Gangplank Galleon stage and King K. Rool (K. Rool Serves a Royal Pain).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For the record, due to the site's less than stellar performance, we'll merge double posts as is. It's very difficult to work with right now. No worries. We got you covered~

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Going in prepared for a worst-case scenario. Helps prevent too much disappointment. Ever since Cloud's reveal, I don't really get excited for Smash presentations. Mostly tense.

I do want to see more stages and learn what single player modes they have to offer, though.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The official stream for the Direct by Nintendo is up and embedded in the opening post

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So how many new characters are we going to expect tomorrow? I'm betting on 3 max

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
My prediction:

- Sakurai talks about characters that didn't get talked about at E3. (Options include: :ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultjigglypuff::ultlucario::ultluigi::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultsheik::ultdarkpit::ultridley::ultrosalina::ultroy::ulttoonlink::ultwario:)
- More stages revealed (New Donk City, Jungle Japes, Halberd, Palutena's Temple are my guesses). Stage list revealed on website after direct. Hazard toggle demonstrated.
- New items shown off, alongside new ATs and PokeBalls. Item section opens on Website.
- New mode shown off
- Demo will be available for download for local play after presentation. Online play "Test Smash" dates will be shown off. Build is a modified demo (Bayo nerfs, 3 more characters included in Demo).
- New character trailer, showing off Dixie as an echo (Dixie Whirls In!?), Gangplank Galleon stage and King K. Rool (K. Rool Serves a Royal Pain).
Pittoo/Lucina/Daisy and Ridley have already been talked about (and Ridley has had over a month of gameplay videos made for him)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
My prediction:

- New mode shown off
Just noticed you listed the 14 characters who weren't talked about at E3 EXCEPT my boi!!!

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
I'm predicting Dixie as an echo fighter of Diddy to start the Smash discussion and King K. Rool makes his long awaited arrival to end the direct. With the relatively recent release of Tropical Freeze on the Switch I think it makes sense to focus on Donkey Kong, maybe try to boost a few sales of the game/franchise now.
With the game still 4 months out I feel like any announcement about a single player story mode won't happen just yet. I think the focus will be more on the gameplay and returning character movesets. Not everyone has played the demos or searched youtube for footage so I could see a focus on game mechanics. I think we'll get some more confirmed returning stages and definitely some new stages. That's one thing that seems very absent thus far, new stages. We do have the Moray towers for Inkling and Great Plateau Tower for the Zelda series. Maybe we'll get a peak at New Donk City. But there's still the past several years of games that could get some representation. Franchises like Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Xenoblade could get a new stage to represent the franchise. With all the Mario characters and Mario sports games I wouldn't be shocked to see another Mario stage (but not based off of Mario Odyssey). With Mario Aces so recent I'm leaning towards a Mario Tennis stage.
But I just wanted to get my predictions in b4 tomo. =P

Levy22

Smash Cadet
I'm expecting one newcomer only to be shown in the Direct tomorrow and my guts says Rayman. I believe the bigger focus will be on online and other single player modes. Though I'd love to be wrong and we see multiple characters. :p

Top Bottom