• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Demos Arrive at College Football Games

Smash_Ultimate_College_Football.png

On September 12th, Nintendo of America announced a string of events known as the “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate College Tailgate Tour.” Throughout this tour, Smash Ultimate demos will be playable at multiple football games at colleges across the United States starting on September 22nd.

Each of these events will feature six different Smash Ultimate demo stations in the stadium parking lot, along with a larger screen streaming the matches for the audience’s viewing pleasure. There are no age restrictions, nor are there any fees to play and compete. Additionally prizes will be given to competitors who’ve emerged victorious in a competition. The current list of college games and dates can be found below:
  • September 22nd, Stanford @ Oregon
  • October 6th, Alabama @ Arkansas
  • October 13th, Wisconsin @ Michigan
  • October 20th, Oklahoma @ TCU
  • October 27th, Clemson @ FSU
  • November 3rd, South Carolina @ Ole Miss
  • November 10th, TCU @ West Virginia
  • November 17th, Miami @ Virginia Tech
  • November 24th, Michigan @ Ohio State
Can’t make it to any of these? There’s no reason to worry just yet, the final event will be on January 1st, 2019 at a currently undetermined location according to Nintendo’s official website.

Author’s Note: Are you interested in going to any of these events? Any other college stadiums you’d like to see host Smash Ultimate? Let us know in the comments!

Last edited:
Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

That's actually pretty smart, but not ideal for us nerds rip. It's a way to introduce a video game to people who never really thought much of Nintendo outside of playing it as a kid or w/e. It also hits a great range of ages.

"There's a game where I can be a favorite iconic Nintendo character and beat the **** out of other Nintendo characters? wtf m8 sign me up asap."

The more people that play the game, the more people I get to make salty by styling on them with (a most likely barely-viable character) Kween Zelda.
They Saltiest1.png

The final event on January 1st? But that's after the actual game comes out. I thought the purpose of playing the demo was to get a feel for the real game. Why would I travel to play a demo when I will already have the full game in my hands?

The final event on January 1st? But that's after the actual game comes out. I thought the purpose of playing the demo was to get a feel for the real game. Why would I travel to play a demo when I will already have the full game in my hands?
For those who wouldn’t have the game or are checking Smash out

Well right I get that. But it doesn't do any of the fans buying the game on launch day any favors. That's what I was getting at.
and I think what he was getting at was that it was trying to draw just a few more new players who happen to be there.

Last edited:
YOU GET A SMASH DEMO, YOU GET A SMASH DEMO, EVERYONE GETS A SMASH DEMO!
This is actually their strangest idea yet what the hell

D
Maaaan, all these events outside of my country.

I guess I'll have to suffer 'till december. Less than 3 months... :bobomb:

Well right I get that. But it doesn't do any of the fans buying the game on launch day any favors. That's what I was getting at.
and I think what he was getting at was that it was trying to draw just a few more new players who happen to be there.
Exactly what I was gonna get to (thought making it subtle would be obvious enough). The more people who decide to play Smash and possibly even loving it, the more players/fans we have (who can try to get characters they want in Smash as a bonus for them)

Which characters will be playable in this demo?
They didn't specify if it's a new build or not but chances are it's going to have the same roster as the demos at EVO, E3 and CEO. So that'd be
Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Ness, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Zelda, Marth, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Pit, Snake, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta, Inkling and Ridley if I'm not mistaken.

This is probably one of the most random promotions. Everyone loves Smash, but I can just imagine lots of people showing up to football games just to play the demo. Not hating, I watch NFL sometimes, but college football definitely is less universal

I guess its a good way to introduce a new audience to people like Ice Climbers I guess lol.

Lucky cats, I dont live in any of those states. All the more reason to get hype for Ultimate's release.

This is probably one of the most random promotions. Everyone loves Smash, but I can just imagine lots of people showing up to football games just to play the demo. Not hating, I watch NFL sometimes, but college football definitely is less universal

I guess its a good way to introduce a new audience to people like Ice Climbers I guess lol.

College football and basketball are actually hugely popular. I don't watch or care about either, but people take those games very seriously. A lot of people care more about college than professional actually.

It's a weird promotion, but I think it's fun and out of the box, and college is also a huge part of the Smash scene, especially in the budding competitive end. Ultimately, I think it's more about pulling in new players than it is about bringing people who want to go specifically for Smash. The way they have it set up looks very "e-SPORTy" with a boxing ring and sleek color schemes and without all the playfulness Nintendo could easily bring so as to cater to the people who think Nintendo is just some childish silly company and it's not cool to be seen playing their games.

One of the time slots is even post release- this is to draw eyes that wouldn't normally be looking for the game already.

Dang it, I couldn't convince my dad to go to any of these games with me, I don't like football enough for him to think I'm being genuine, and none of them are BYU

Last edited:
What to do... Ohio State is one of the largest campuses in the country and the Michigan came is always a HUGE deal. I really want to go check out the demo but it's also going to be the last game of the list and Nintendo might not have chosen a very safe time/place for that demo. I mean, OSU campus gets destroyed every year after this rivalry game. I'll be tailgating that day but I don't know how easy it will be to get to the booth. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

BTW, I love this idea. College students play video games and they also congregate at major sporting events on campus. What better time to reach out to them than this?

Top Bottom