• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Deluxe Edition In The Future?

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Now, as we're waiting to see who will be in the Fighters Pass, I have to ask this, "Could there be a Deluxe version in the future after the DLC?"

Why is it possible? Here are good reasons why I wouldn't see why not:

People are still endlessly requesting Sakurai/Nintendo about fighters they want in Smash even if they're disconfirmed by their spirit/assist status and after all of the DLC choices were already finalized. IMO, usually Deluxe ports have better requested characters than DLC lineups. For example, for Hyrule Warriors, we wanted Skull Kid in there but for the Majora's Mask DLC pack, we got the less popular Young Link and Tingle instead. Skull Kid wouldn't be in until the Legends port. The DLC fighters for the Fighters Pass may have been selected over the others on purpose so that the more fan-requested characters get confirmed in something much bigger than DLC due to time constraints.
A new version of the Nintendo Switch is rumored to be in the works. Hopefully, unlike the PS4 Pro and X-Box X, (according to a rumor by Marcus Sellars) the new Nintendo Switch will play games the standard version would not, like for Xenoblade Chronicles on the New Nintendo 3DS. The new Nintendo Switch would not only be more powerful, but it should have more data in it. Keep in mind that Marcus Sellars has had many things incorrect, but some of them were right, so keep that with a grain of salt.
Hyrule Warriors Legends was announced only 4 months after the last DLC pack was released in the Wii U version. Sakurai would've already known about the future Switch if it's being made now since his "Ultimate" plan was made long before the Switch's premiere date. After getting all the hard stuff down like Adventure mode and getting all the characters back in, it would take far less time to add a few fighters, add some changes like maybe promote a small amount of spirits/assist trophies into fighters. The added stuff in Hyrule Warriors Legends seem like it must've been in development while the DLC packs were still in the works. If that's the case, then I guess it's possible the Ultimate Deluxe Edition may sometime be planned during the Fighters Pass Season or have already been planned.

So in conclusion, I doubt you shouldn't give up hope. The DLC will be what they'll be but the others should have a shot in something much bigger like an enhanced port which IMO seems more important than DLC (especially since usually DLC is developed by a smaller team than for the base game). Nintendo knows how much you want some characters in so hopefully after the Fighter Pass ends, we'll be in for a big surprise.

PS, no doubts please, I'd prefer if you take this with a grain of salt.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
A deluxe edition wouldn’t be a bad idea. As long as the buyers are getting their money’s worth with the dlc characters...

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If it happens on the next system after the Switch, I don't think it will be an issue. But for now, lolno

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, a new system probably won't be out until many years. By then, it would have a NEW Smash Bros.
And Ultimate seems like a game that would be supported for a long time. Look at Street Fighter 2!
Oh, and I know you don't like the idea of exclusives for the upgraded Nintendo Switch, but if we want more fighters than just those future 5, we've gonna have to have a deluxe version on a Switch with more horsepower. Just keep endlessly requesting Sakurai/Nintendo for characters even if they are spirits/assists/disconfirmed. Hopefully, they'll have no choice but to continue with Smash/Ultimate after February 2020.

A deluxe edition wouldn’t be a bad idea. As long as the buyers are getting their money’s worth with the dlc characters...
If people show any disappointment over the Fighters Pass, you can bet Sakurai/Nintendo will be flooded with demanding comments.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
If people show any disappointment over the Fighters Pass, you can bet Sakurai/Nintendo will be flooded with demanding comments.
There will always be people who feel that way, and nothing can be done about it.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Don't get me started with the demanding for Waluigi to be playable

He was shown as an AT and I wish people would get over it

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If the Fighters Pass is gonna be disappointing for you guys, let's push Sakurai/Nintendo into doing a Deluxe version (which would have new modes which I doubt could be made DLC-wise and new fighters that wouldn't have been possible in the standard version). The reason: a new Smash would take too long and having the entire roster back would be too much of a hassle by then. Plus, we can have enhanced versions for the same console.

If we are going to get the fighters mentioned in that 5channel leak and that we won't get any new modes like Home Run Contest or Stage Builder, etc., etc., I've a feeling someone in the development team will push for more to make up for disappointing the hardcore fans.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
What makes you think that?
The Doom leak. They may not get the reveal dates right but these 5 fighters mentioned seem likely after I've gathered some information. Hopefully, we hardcore fans who'd rather want characters like Banjo and/or others could get a surprise after the pass if Nintendo is aware of us. Joker/Erdrick/Ryu H/Steve/Doomguy just don't seem like the best way to end Ultimate's lifetime to me. A highly requested fighter like Banjo & Kazooie would.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
The Doom leak. They may not get the reveal dates right but these 5 fighters mentioned seem likely after I've gathered some information. Hopefully, we hardcore fans who'd rather want characters like Banjo and/or others could get a surprise after the pass if Nintendo is aware of us. Joker/Erdrick/Ryu H/Steve/Doomguy just don't seem like the best way to end Ultimate's lifetime to me. A highly requested fighter like Banjo & Kazooie would.
You can't speak for everyone on the subject of hardcore fans, not everyone believes what you think should get be chosen.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I personally hope this happens as I'm not really feeling the fighter ballot. Personally, I don't mind 3rd parties but I do still think they should be a special occasion happening and only occur with someone really special. Banjo, Rayman, Crash, Bomberman.... all third parties I'm okay with. But when they start adding people like Joker, who I personally do not think holds an important place in video gaming history (my opinion), then that kind of bothers me. When they start adding third parties left and right, it takes away the surprise and special part of that. I think a lot of the battle pass is gonna be Joker-like characters, so I'd rather just have a deluxe version.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Better then Smash 6 cutting 1/3 of the roster that's for certain. I still don't get the appeal people would want with that?

PF9

Smash Lord
Let's say another Smash game years down the road does the "Everyone Is Here" thing from Ultimate and bring the entire Ultimate cast back. I'd call this sequel "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 2". It's very likely that Sakurai would not be working on this one.

So, with all this in mind - which newcomers would you add to the roster?

I'll start. Among those that are ATs in Ultimate, I'd add Waluigi, Krystal, Issac, Samurai Goroh, Ashley, and Skull Kid (since he seems to be popular).

Among the Pokemon that are currently stuck in the Poke Ball, I'd add Meowth, Mimikyu, Zoroark, and Deoxys (all forms as separate playable characters).

If these don't make it into Ultimate as DLC, I'd also add Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Blaziken, a G8 Pokemon rep, Dante, a Three Houses rep, another Xenoblade rep, Porky, Bubbles, King Boo, Kamek, Medusa, Hades and there are others I'd like to add but can't think of at the moment.

I'd also decrease the relative number of unlockable characters in an "Ultimate 2" - having to unlock everyone BUT the O8 and the Miis was really painstaking.

Now let's hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
They aren't going to port a game from Switch to 'Slightly-upgraded-Switch-that-can-still-play-the-base-game'

PF9

Smash Lord
which is why I proposed "SSB Ultimate 2" - a whole new game which brings back the entire cast of Ultimate, DLC included, and adds many more characters

It would have a completely different Adventure Mode if there was one in the proposed game.

Also I'd want all the non-human mammals to have realistic fur in their designs, even cute ones like Pikachu and Isabelle.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
They aren't going to port a game from Switch to 'Slightly-upgraded-Switch-that-can-still-play-the-base-game'
Except the deluxe version would be possibly so big, it would require a bigger card that only an upgraded Switch can play. Remember Xenoblade Chronicles 3D on New 3DS? Then again, P5R is rumored to be an enhanced port for at least the PS4 and that console already has the standard version.

PS, the upgraded Switch can still play games available on standard consoles, just with 4K quality. It should also have better battery power and data management. Exclusive games shouldn't be the main focus, just for special occasion for ports of games that would require more horse power (like maybe Kingdom Hearts 3). Any future game otherwise would still be playable on a standard Switch. Also, by then there should be an in-trainee for Sakurai to replace him as director for the Smash series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't get me started with the demanding for Waluigi to be playable

He was shown as an AT and I wish people would get over it
By all means, don't get started.

If there's one thing that annoys me even more than the more rabid Waluigi support that puts the more reasonable supporters like myself in a bad light, it's the people that feel the need to express about Waluigi fans when literally no one asked.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Except the deluxe version would be possibly so big, it would require a bigger card that only an upgraded Switch can play. Remember Xenoblade Chronicles 3D on New 3DS?
Yes, however I don't remember an earlier version of Xenoblade Chronicles on the original 3DS.

which is why I proposed "SSB Ultimate 2" - a whole new game which brings back the entire cast of Ultimate, DLC included, and adds many more characters

It would have a completely different Adventure Mode if there was one in the proposed game.

Also I'd want all the non-human mammals to have realistic fur in their designs, even cute ones like Pikachu and Isabelle.
What you want then is a new Smash game.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Remember Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon? They're much bigger than the other versions and they still work on the standard 3DS. You see, with so many stuff exclusive to Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon, it would be impossible to convert the other versions by DLC. Surely they can do the same for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate if bringing back the missing modes and adding other new stuff is that difficult. It IS hard enough building even one fighter.

Anyway, enough talk, I'm personally not very confident in the Fighters Pass after that Doom leak (it seems so real to me). I'm hoping for something after the Fighters Pass and SOON.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Except the deluxe version would be possibly so big, it would require a bigger card that only an upgraded Switch can play. Remember Xenoblade Chronicles 3D on New 3DS? Then again, P5R is rumored to be an enhanced port for at least the PS4 and that console already has the standard version.

PS, the upgraded Switch can still play games available on standard consoles, just with 4K quality. It should also have better battery power and data management. Exclusive games shouldn't be the main focus, just for special occasion for ports of games that would require more horse power (like maybe Kingdom Hearts 3). Any future game otherwise would still be playable on a standard Switch. Also, by then there should be an in-trainee for Sakurai to replace him as director for the Smash series.
If the game is so large that it doesn’t fit on the physical game card, which it likely wouldn’t be since some extra characters and stages wouldn’t really require that much space (although that mainly depends on how much music they want to include,) wouldn’t it just require that you download the rest of the game from the Internet after putting the card in? Some third party games on the Switch already do that (and state as such on their covers.) I don’t think Nintendo would really want to do that, but it is possible for them to do it if necessary.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ultimate Deluxe?

So basically vanilla Ultimate with all the DLC included at a slightly marked up price compared to the vanilla release.

Ok

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Depending on if we have more than one DLC season (which we MIGHT probably have at least one more if the first season pass does well), it may be a while off. But I'd welcome it. Maybe even expand Adventure Mode a bit to pop in the DLC characters if they're starters in that mode upon download in the original Ultimate. idk.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
Ultimate is already a deluxe version of smash 4. The only real changes were buffs to top-tiers, nerfs to bottom-tiers, and the addition of 3 more top-tiers.

Last edited:

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Doomguy is more iconic than Banjo though and Doom on the SNES was a technical marvel. That said Banjo should have been in the base roster due to his games being some of the best on the N64 but do not knock the Doomguy...he has anger issues.

PF9

Smash Lord
I'm not big on the idea of a deluxe edition, but my proposed SSB Ultimate 2 would also allow more than 2 players in Squad Strike's Tag Team mode, which would also allow the combination of Tag Team with traditional Team Battles in the mode (imagine: a "Red Team" of 20 characters, 1 for each stock, 5 for each player, against a "Blue Team" with the same specifications).

SNinjaStudios

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1881-9214-4032
People are already thinking about a deluxe version when Ultimate just came out in December and we're only in January? Really?

Last edited:

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
This game is already a smash wii u deluxe with all character DLC, tweaked engine and, a graphical tweak of making the same character models less saturated with a bit of detail, imo. If they had the audacity to do that then its a straight cashgrab. But since they can get away with charging for archaic online and other things, itll sell.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
And there's the crux of the entire issue. Smash fans seem to want to label themselves and their opinions as the "hardcore community", thus belittling any other player or community within the greater Smash umbrella.

Putting aside the fact that the leak was disproven (and shouldn't have been been believed in the first place), Joker is immensely popular. Erdrick is from one of the longest running and best selling gaming franchises of all time. Ryu Hyabusa is the star character of developer Team Ninja and spans every console generation since the NES, Steve is the star character of the best-selling game of all time behind ****ing Tetris with an entire annual convention dedicated solely to it, and Doomguy is the Mario of FPS games with a modern revival and immense popularity.

Any one of these choices can be disappointing to you or me individually, but to say they're objectively bad choices because they don't meet the unspoken requirements of some arbitrary "hardcore community" (which is really just a self-insert for whatever a person subjectively wants him/herself) is disingenuous and misleading. My brother would be HYPED for Doomguy and Ryu Hyabusa, two of his all-time favorite gaming characters, and he's better at Smash than I am. My cousin has been asking for Steve since the original Verge leak, and he ****ing loves Smash. Half of the Ultimate social thread has been high on Joker since his reveal. How are these not a part of the "hardcore community", exactly?

This game is already a smash wii u deluxe with all character DLC, tweaked engine and, a graphical tweak of making the same character models less saturated with a bit of detail, imo. If they had the audacity to do that then its a straight cashgrab. But since they can get away with charging for archaic online and other things, itll sell.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
You clearly haven't gathered any conclusive information, because you are making the mistake of speaking for everyone by claiming that a certain group of characters is what the "hardcore" community (aka you) want. And that is also such a silly term to go by.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Like what?
A few basic things for example:
  • Spirits gets monotonous quickly and there's a lack of any detail behind them unlike trophies
  • The online clearly wasn't thought through enough
  • Games and More is seriously lacking in content
  • No masterpieces
  • Some of the new gamemodes feel forgettable (but that's just me)
  • Classic Mode feels better than whatever the hell we got in Smash 4 but it still isn't like what we had in Brawl (and it also got boring fast, but that's just me again)
  • All Star Mode got demoted

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
And there's the crux of the entire issue. Smash fans seem to want to label themselves and their opinions as the "hardcore community", thus belittling any other player or community within the greater Smash umbrella.

Putting aside the fact that the leak was disproven (and shouldn't have been been believed in the first place), Joker is immensely popular. Erdrick is from one of the longest running and best selling gaming franchises of all time. Ryu Hyabusa is the star character of developer Team Ninja and spans every console generation since the NES, Steve is the star character of the best-selling game of all time behind ****ing Tetris with an entire annual convention dedicated solely to it, and Doomguy is the Mario of FPS games with a modern revival and immense popularity.

Any one of these choices can be disappointing to you or me individually, but to say they're objectively bad choices because they don't meet the unspoken requirements of some arbitrary "hardcore community" (which is really just a self-insert for whatever a person subjectively wants him/herself) is disingenuous and misleading. My brother would be HYPED for Doomguy and Ryu Hyabusa, two of his all-time favorite gaming characters, and he's better at Smash than I am. My cousin has been asking for Steve since the original Verge leak, and he ****ing loves Smash. Half of the Ultimate social thread has been high on Joker since his reveal. How are these not a part of the "hardcore community", exactly?

I just hope the next smash is really a "built from the ground up (lmao btw)" game. Like the jump from street fighter 4 to street fighter 5. Or 64 to melee.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
A few basic things for example:
  • Spirits gets monotonous quickly and there's a lack of any detail behind them unlike trophies
  • The online clearly wasn't thought through enough
  • Games and More is seriously lacking in content
  • No masterpieces
  • Some of the new gamemodes feel forgettable (but that's just me)
  • Classic Mode feels better than whatever the hell we got in Smash 4 but it still isn't like what we had in Brawl (and it also got boring fast, but that's just me again)
  • All Star Mode got demoted
I get some, but I doubt most people miss masterpieces which wasn't even a basic feature. They were glorified demos of retro games. Nothing wrong with that, but also nothing particularly worth noting.

Game modes such as Squad Strike and SmashDown? Because I'm sure those have been welcomed by most.

And I don't see how Brawl's classic was better. They changed Classic Mode in this game by making it themed around each character which made it feel more varied and entertaining.
Classic Mode in Smash is merely an arcade ladder, a very simple concept where you defeat an opponent and advance to the next one, there is nothing particularly groundbreaking about it. I say that they succeeded in not just making it work but also in making it more fun and diverse without forcing a reinventing of the wheel like Smash for Wii U did (however, Master Fortress was awesome). Any gripes people have about that just feels like nitpicking to me when it is fundamentally similar to past Smash games.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Reggie said that the characters in the Fighters Pass would be characters you would NOT anticipate to be in Smash, so I've been wishing that at least we get a DLC character post-pass and one that we Smash fans WOULD anticipate to be in it.

PF9

Smash Lord
An Adventure Mode for SSB Ultimate 2 would ideally combine the best parts of SSE and WoL into something new, along with an original story.

I'd also like to bring back unique Break the Targets and for the first time since Smash 64, Board the Platforms stages for each character, along with a unique minigame for each character, Home Run Contest, and add a few other minigames for all characters to participate in, like a Swim Race mode.

And if someone other than Sakurai is making the game, I'd expect more content (stages, remixes, etc.) from Kirby games post-Super Star mainly from the games that have come out since 2003

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
While it may happen, we didn't get one for 4, so I'm not expecting one for Ultimate.

Top Bottom