• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: All Star Mode. How will it work?

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
In every installment of Super Smash Bros since Melee, All-Star Mode was featured where you had to fight your way through waves of characters from the full roster with limited healing items in between rounds. In Melee and Brawl this mode was unlocked after unlocking every character, while in Smash 4 it was unlocked from the get-go. Considering the already massive roster that we know about for Ultimate, would it be more likely for All-Star Mode to work like it did in Melee/Brawl or how it did in Smash 4?

There are pros and cons to both ways it can work in terms of getting All-Star Mode in Ultimate.
Melee/Brawl style
Pros: immediately accessible once all characters are unlocked.
Cons: Massive roster of characters to fight against, possibly very exhausting to deal with 60+ characters for a single run through, have to deal with potential OHKO moves like Little Macs KO punch late in the run.
Smash 4 style
Pros: Starts off simple with very few opponents right off the bat, gradually increases in difficulty as you unlock characters, not too overwhelming early on, only have to deal with one additional fighter if played after unlocking someone new.
Cons: becomes just as exhausting to go through if you postpone All-Star mode until all characters are unlocked, more characters to deal with, the return of the KO punch.
I'll add more pros and cons later if necessary. Feel free to suggest some!

Personally, I hope it'll go the Smash 4 route and have it available from the start so players can earn their All-Star trophies early on and only have it become incrementally harder if they remember to return after each character unlock.

If there's already a thread about this, I'll take this one down. I couldn't find one myself prior to making this and didn't see anyone talking about it, so I figured it would be good to spark some discussion about All-Star mode.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Whatever style they do, I wonder how they'll be ordered. They really seem to be pushing the numbers, but I hope that isn't the method, or if it is, they actually give the option for how you want to sort them. Could make repeated runs a little less stale too.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I am so excited for All-Star mode here!

I didn’t even touch it in Sm4sh until I unlocked everyone since it doesn’t feel right if I’m missing characters. If they give it to us early again here, I’ll do the same.

I did like how Melee randomized the cast and made the number of opponents go up. Brawl’s method of taking on 6 Pokémon and then a single other character felt odd. I guess Sm4sh was okay to have them by release date...I wonder though if we’ll get them this time by number (or reverse numbers), which would be interesting. I do hope they allow it to resort after DLC though so you don’t end up with one overstuffed round. Still, randomness does add more replayability.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I'm fine with both ways (though I prefer Melee's version) but it should be locked until you unlock all characters. I just hope we would get more neutral-stages as in Melee/Brawl, Sm4sh's stages were a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

somekirbyguy

Smash Rookie
NNID
somekirbyguy
Switch FC
SW-4422-7966-6303
I just hope that it's the reward for unlocking all of the characters, it's not the same if its available from the start (and it won't be if we're starting with the 64 roster).

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea you unlock it once you unlock all the characters. Since they are already advertising unlocking everything as part of the gameplay I wouldn't be surprised if All-Star mode was unlockable. With so many characters they could just add more healing items. But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if instead All-Star mode used a stock count. A stock count would take away the whole mind game aspect of whether to burn a healing item or try to make it through another round. But a stock count would likely make for more matches where RAGE plays a factor, and you'd still have that intense my dmg % is so high I don't want to lose this stock. It would also make all-star a little bit more beginner friendly. Difficulty setting could affect both CPU level and number of stocks. They could still do something like a trophy for completing an all-star run w/o losing any stocks. That could make for some super intense runs for hardcore players.
I thought the whole sm4sh chronological order was a neat idea but I'd like them to do something different. Since the E3 announcement gave them their smash release order I'd think this could be a good way of going about it. Starting with Mario and making your way through the smash 64 characters, then the Melee additions, then Brawl, then Sm4sh, then Ultimate I think would be a good way to do it. You'd get some character grouping like fighting young link, zelda, sheik and ganon in one round but then you'd also get rounds where it's just a mix of characters as well.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I agree. It would be interesting to go through SSB64, SSBM, SSBB, SSB4 & SSBU in that specific order (or SSBU>SSB64) rather than the date of first appearance of the characters. The way they announced the characters, their numbers and the starting roster as well feels like they could follow that way.

Arthur97

Smash Master
If they do that though, with this number system, they could end up lumping clones in games they didn't belong to. Like a newcomer in the Melee selection.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
They’re putting a lot of emphasis on the characters numbers, so I’m almost certain that All-Star Mode will go by number. And yes, echo characters like Daisy will robably appear neat to Peach, as awkward as that is.

I think the best route to go is this: SSB64 charcaters on an SBB64 stage, they appear in number order. Once defeated, you enter the room where you recharge health. Then Melee is next on a Melee stage, then Brawl, then SSB4, then the Ultimate Newcomers.

If it follows this pattern, it will have to be unlocked only after every character is unlocked. Otherwise, you could potentially skip an entire round before unlocking the necessary characters.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Character numbers:

Round 1: :mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::yoshi64::samus64::link64: (Smash 64 starters)
Round 2: :luigi64::falcon64::ness64::jigglypuff64: (Smash 64 unlockables)
Round 3: :sheikmelee::zeldamelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::icsmelee: (Melee starter newcomers)
Round 4: :falcomelee::pichumelee::mewtwomelee::ganondorfmelee::gawmelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee: (Melee unlockable newcomers)
Round 5: :metaknight::pit::dedede::pt::ike::olimar::diddy::wario::zerosuitsamus: (Brawl starter newcomers)
Round 6: :snake::wolf::sonic::rob::toonlink::lucario: (Brawl unlockable newcomers)
Round 7: :4villager::4wiifit::4megaman::rosalina::4littlemac::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4shulk: (Smash 4 starter newcomers)
Round 8: :4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4cloud::4bayonetta::4corrin::4lucina::4darkpit: (Smash 4 unlockable newcomers/DLC newcomers)
Round 9: :ultinkling::ultridley::ultdaisy:.... (Ultimate newcomers) - Since they are all unlockable, there isn't a need to split them up.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Character numbers:

Round 1: :mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::yoshi64::samus64::link64: (Smash 64 starters)
Round 2: :luigi64::falcon64::ness64::jigglypuff64: (Smash 64 unlockables)
Round 3: :sheikmelee::zeldamelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::icsmelee: (Melee starter newcomers)
Round 4: :falcomelee::pichumelee::mewtwomelee::ganondorfmelee::gawmelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee: (Melee unlockable newcomers)
Round 5: :metaknight::pit::dedede::pt::ike::olimar::diddy::wario::zerosuitsamus: (Brawl starter newcomers)
Round 6: :snake::wolf::sonic::rob::toonlink::lucario: (Brawl unlockable newcomers)
Round 7: :4villager::4wiifit::4megaman::rosalina::4littlemac::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4shulk: (Smash 4 starter newcomers)
Round 8: :4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4cloud::4bayonetta::4corrin::4lucina::4darkpit: (Smash 4 unlockable newcomers/DLC newcomers)
Round 9: :ultinkling::ultridley::ultdaisy:.... (Ultimate newcomers) - Since they are all unlockable, there isn't a need to split them up.
Hmm.. the idea is here but it doesn't look right. It might be better if you don't split starter & unlockables so it would be more homogeneous (see below). If they do they might re-arrange order of same-universe like previous All-Star mode (at least I hope). It would make something like that :

Round n°1, SSB64 Pt.1 : :mario64: :luigi64: :yoshi64: :dk64: :link64: :samus64:
Round n°1, SSB64 Pt.2 : :kirby64: :jigglypuff64: :pikachu64: :fox64: :falcon64: :ness64:
Round n°3, SSBM Pt.1 : :peachmelee: :bowsermelee: :drmario: :zeldamelee: :sheikmelee: :younglinkmelee: :ganondorfmelee:
Round n°4, SSBM Pt.2 : :marthmelee: :roymelee: :pichumelee: :mewtwomelee: :marthmelee: :roymelee: :gawmelee:

Round n°5, SSBB Pt.1 : :metaknight: :dedede: :wario: :diddy: :toonlink: :ike: :pit: :lucas:
Round n°6, SSBB Pt.2 : :pt: :lucario: :wolf: :zerosuitsamus: :snake: :rob: :olimar: :sonic:
Round n°7, SSB4 Pt.1 : :rosalina: :4bowserjr: :4villager: :4greninja: :4wiifit: :4megaman: :4pacman: :4duckhunt:
Round n°8, SSB4 Pt.2 : :4cloud: :4shulk: :4robinm: :4corrin: :4palutena: :4bayonetta: :4ryu: :4littlemac:

Round n°9, SSBU : :ultdaisy: :ultinkling: :ultridley: [...]

Arthur97

Smash Master
Smash 4's order had nothing to do with their Smash debuts. It had newcomers in the last round with Mario because they were old enough.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Smash 4's order had nothing to do with their Smash debuts. It had newcomers in the last round with Mario because they were old enough.
Smash 4 ordered based on character debut, not Smash debut. The two versions went differently - one went oldest to newest, the other went newest to oldest - but it was the same order. Even DLCs were properly placed.

Based on the numbering now, it really seems like that’ll be the all-star order. Hope it goes backwards from that though.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Smash 4 ordered based on character debut, not Smash debut. The two versions went differently - one went oldest to newest, the other went newest to oldest - but it was the same order. Even DLCs were properly placed.

Based on the numbering now, it really seems like that’ll be the all-star order. Hope it goes backwards from that though.
I know. I said they had nothing to do with Smash debuts.

I seriously hope not though.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Probably do the same system as smash 4 start with a not everyone unlocked all star then everyone version when everyone is available

Now let's explain how it went

Melee: random except team :ultgnw: At the ending

Brawl: did it by series home oldest to youngest

Wii u/3ds: they went by when the character was born in that one 3ds started at the beginning Wii U started at the end

For this one I'm 99% sure it's going to go by when the character was added to smash which is start at :ultmario: end at whoever the last base roster character of smash ultimate is (then change to last dlc character created in then future) and it's not 1v1 for this mode

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To best way to make All-Star work is if everyone is fought in a random order, except for one. The final opponent would always be the fighter you're using, and the match would take place at Final Destination.

So for example, if you're playing as Mario, the final opponent would always be Mario. Also, the final opponent would be set to 1.7x his/her normal size.

However, if you're using the Pokémon Trainer, the final stage would require you to defeat all three of the opposing Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon; the Pokémon Trainer counts as 3 fighters, and will only be defeated when all three of his Pokémon are defeated. The opposing Pokémon are set to normal size in this match.

The player's direct attacks would deal 1.5x their normal damage. The CPU players' direct attacks would deal 0.6666667x their normal damage. Indirect attacks and stage hazards deal their normal damage amount. Lastly, no stale moves.

Now, assuming that there are 75 fighters total, and the Mii Fighters are excluded, you would face a total of 72 fighters. As for the round format...
  • Normal Format
    • Stage 1: 11 opponents
    • Stages 2-6: 12 opponents
    • Stage 7: 1 opponent (the fighter you're playing as + 1.7x normal size)
  • Pokémon Trainer Format
    • Stages 1-3: 11 opponents
    • Stages 4-6: 12 opponents
    • Stage 7: Pokémon Trainer

Arthur97

Smash Master
I kinda want Mario to always be the "boss" of All-Star mode. He is the king.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind it if it was similar to the final co-op event match in Brawl.

If you don't remember, that event match started with you(and your teamate) on battlefield and it worked like a 100-man multi man melee except rather than polgons appearing every single character was loaded. So you literaly had to KO the entire roster.

If they did that, it would keep time down, but every character would still be fought. Hardness level would just be a handicap from like 50% Knock back reduction to like Hard which would be just normal knockback......but you have to outlast 70+ characters.

Doing it this way they would obviously enter based on their roster number they are pushing this time around.

Last edited:

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
I really hope the order is random (or at least a random theme like chronological, reverse chronological, by series, etc). Not only because it gets stale going through the same order, but it'd give the opportunity to give everyone a home stage, like in Melee. It'd be really interesting to see what they go with since there's enough stages for most of the roster (aside from the FE series, and maybe Pokemon).

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I liked Melee's version of All-Star mode the most. Random order (except for Game and watch army at the end) on a stage from one of the fighter's series, with the number of fighters in each round increasing the further you go on. Helped keep things fresh when you were trying to beat it with every fighter. The gorgeous rest area with its music certainly didn't hurt either. :p

But like what other people have been saying, we're probably going to get the numbered order that we've been seeing in the trailers as the new All-Star route in either ascending or descending order. I wish it would go back to being random.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I feel like they'll take Smash 4's idea and twist it. We'll go in order, starting from 1, or in reverse. Maybe it'll just be versus 7 other characters at a time. Maybe they'll allow players to save & quit and come back later, but I doubt it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
In Melee and Brawl this mode was unlocked after unlocking every character, while in Smash 4 it was unlocked from the get-go.
While it was unlocked from the get-go, only unlocked characters would actually show up in it.

I suspect a similar version in Ultimate. It'll be there from the start, but only have the maybe 12 starting characters in it. And end up with over 60.

Based on the numbering now, it really seems like that’ll be the all-star order.
My hope as well.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
While it was unlocked from the get-go, only unlocked characters would actually show up in it.

I suspect a similar version in Ultimate. It'll be there from the start, but only have the maybe 12 starting characters in it. And end up with over 60.
It's probably better if All-Star mode is locked until every base game fighter (excluding the Mii Fighters) is unlocked.

Arthur97

Smash Master
*shrug* what difference does it make if someone wants to play it early?
Because All-Star mode with 12 characters is kind of boring, and the unlockable characters were not added as they were unlocked. It only added everyone once they were all unlocked.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I hope it's like Brawl's one.

30 franchises, each with one predetermined stage, minus Miis. Go from Game & Watch to Splatoon. Fight with all Miis in your game at the end, in Final Destination.

Last edited:

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
smash 4 had the BEST verison of all star mode... if you got gipped you gamed over and it sucked...

but how it split the fights up was really nice... defs my most played mode on 3DS... best all star mode so far.

seeing previews of ultmate.... of thats how its gonna be,.. like endless smash? disapointing

Cobalt Chalcedony

Smash Rookie
It wont work Maybe by introduced to the smash series by date so 64 Characters -> Melee -> Brawl -> Base Sm4sh -> DLC Sm4sh -> Ultimate and maybe increase the Nockback rate for the enemies

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Either the player should have a reduced knockback rate, or healing items should appear frequently. It’s going to be weird doing the fights all at once and on a Battlefield form only.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Either the player should have a reduced knockback rate, or healing items should appear frequently. It’s going to be weird doing the fights all at once and on a Battlefield form only.
It's probably like multi-man where they are really easy to KO.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Remember we used to have that one coop event that basically did the same: they all go down easy but no items spawn.

I guess if that’s what it is this isn’t the worst possible timeline, but I’d still prefer something like Melee’s all-star mode. Then again, we don’t dven get awesome final smash trophies from it anymore either...

I am starting to get nervous about exactly how much other content there is for single players. More characters are great, but...

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Ideally Smash Ultimate's All-Star should have been something a little more like a proper gauntlet that involved you fighting every character on their home stage with the option to come back as opposed to needing to do it all in one go. With less of a focus on overwhelming you with a number of characters and making each fight represent the character themselves, sort of like how the classic modes are designed. Have Ryu be a Stamina fight like his Classic Mode maybe. And make sure to give good rewards at the end (Though Spirits kind of took a lot away from that possibility).

The weird version of All-Star we have now just seems super unsatisfying and unnecessary. It's an attempt to merge two modes and just actively giving the player less content in the process since a mode is missing, which is just super disappointing...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Face it people, this mode was getting more unwieldy and unfeasible as the amount of fighters kept rising. While they were able to make Classic more interesting by giving each fighter you play as a theme so it's different each time, there's no room for that in All-Star, which you'd have to do 70+ times with no variation whatsoever on each run.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Face it people, this mode was getting more unwieldy and unfeasible as the amount of fighters kept rising. While they were able to make Classic more interesting by giving each fighter you play as a theme so it's different each time, there's no room for that in All-Star, which you'd have to do 70+ times with no variation whatsoever on each run.
True, that’s why I favored Melee’s version.

I am totally one of those idiots who’d want to run the mode 80 times. But loking a lot of the randomness was what started to make it unfun. For Melee, we got the whole roster randomized, so at least there was some interest in getting different groups each time, along with different stages.

I’m sure the new mode will be fun, but with a dictated classic path for each character, I feel like a lot of randomness is gone. Still, a 4-man smash vs the CPUs with everyone on random is always possible and I do get a lot of mileage out of that, and with the new smashdown mode, it could really be great.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
True, that’s why I favored Melee’s version.

I am totally one of those idiots who’d want to run the mode 80 times. But loking a lot of the randomness was what started to make it unfun. For Melee, we got the whole roster randomized, so at least there was some interest in getting different groups each time, along with different stages.

I’m sure the new mode will be fun, but with a dictated classic path for each character, I feel like a lot of randomness is gone. Still, a 4-man smash vs the CPUs with everyone on random is always possible and I do get a lot of mileage out of that, and with the new smashdown mode, it could really be great.
I hadn’t thought about it, but Smash Down with CPUs actually would be a pretty great alternative to typical All Star!

Top Bottom