• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros Splash Cards + Tutorial!

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
I really like the new character introduction graphics on the reveal video's for Super Smash Bros for 3DS & Super Smash Bros for Wii U and decided to remake them. I hope you will like these and I'm open for any requests or useful criticism :)

You can see more of these (Shulk & Mewtwo) on my YouTube channel: AegisDesigns
(Unfortunately, I do not have 10 posts yet so I cannot create a direct link).

Cheers

Well, since a lot of people are asking me to make a Splash Card for a specific character. I figured that since I am really busy in real life right now with school and other stuff, it would take me some time to make all of them. So, I made a (hopefully) useful tutorial showing how to make the custom Splash Cards. The tutorial is quite lengthy and I apologise for that, but I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know. I'll try to respond to them as soon as possible. Also, I will still do the requests I've been given if the people want that, but please note that it will take some time before I finished it as I'm really busy right now.

Hope this tutorial will be useful to all of you!

Cheers.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh, I have a request! c: Although I must ask if you're comfortable with spoilers.

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
As long as they aren't Persona 3 or Etrian Odessey spoilers I'm fine with it :)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As long as they aren't Persona 3 or Etrian Odessey spoilers I'm fine with it :)
Alrighty.
Fiora from Xenoblade, following the events at Prison Island (1st visit).
Image:

you may have to change the white bg into transparent.
Color scheme in bg: I guess a light orange bg?
Phrase: "Fiora activates!"

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
Hope you'll like this! :)

Picture:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well, the name shouldn't be in the caption below (it's shown twice), but other than that, great c:
(sorry if I came across wrong. I was just suggesting the minor detail to be fixed.)

Last edited:

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
Well, the name shouldn't be in the caption below (it's shown twice), but other than that, great c:
(sorry if I came across wrong. I was just suggesting the minor detail to be fixed.)
I already thought it was a bit strange, but since you included 'Fiora' in the phrase, I assumed you wanted it to be included in the phrase. I fixed it now, hope you'll like it!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I already thought it was a bit strange, but since you included 'Fiora' in the phrase, I assumed you wanted it to be included in the phrase. I fixed it now, hope you'll like it!

Excellent!! Thanks so much! :D

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Could you do Bandana Dee?

"Bandana Dee Spears In!" or something of that sort.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
does that mean no

If you do accept it, however, I would love if you changed it to "Bandana Dee waddles in!"

Sages

Smash Cadet
I was wondering if you'd be willing to take a request. I know a lot of people in the community who are looking for the remaining official characters, who have yet to receive one.

I've got an album on here with high quality renders of the missing characters. https://www.imgur.com/a/gAXwe

Below is a list of the characters, the bracketed information [ ] is the hex color code used on the official Smash Bros website for that character's page. This same color used on the individual cells used to showcase them on the main page.

Received a intro card but in alternative art style:
  • Charizard Stock Art [Official Website Background color: #F26B0F]
  • Greninja Stock Art [Official Website Background color: #4875AA]
  • Lucina Stock Art [Official Website Background color: #74a7ca]
  • Robin Stock Art [Official Website Background color: #ce82de]
  • Pac-Man Stock Art [Official Website Background color: #F9B038]
  • Palutena Stock Art [Official Website Background color: #74E8BF]
Missing in general:
  • Meta Knight [Official Website Background color: #2d3d7a]
  • Captain Falcon [Official Website Background color: #9088e2]
  • Ike [Official Website Background color: #c44737]
  • Mii Fighters [Official Website Background color: #5CC1E6]
  • Robin Female / Robin Male & Female Duo [Official Website Background color: #ce82de]
From the video I saw, it looks the font is Arial Black? Wow I can't believe I didn't realize that sooner (unless I am incorrect). This is an album of all the currently released title cards. https://www.imgur.com/a/9kQos

EDIT: added in hex colors from main website, and formatted

Last edited:

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
Could you do Bandana Dee?

"Bandana Dee Spears In!" or something of that sort.
I was wondering if you'd be willing to take a request. I know a lot of people in the community who are looking for the remaining official characters, who have yet to receive one.

I've got an album on here with high quality renders of the missing characters.

Below is a list of the characters, the bracketed information [ ] is the hex color code used on the official Smash Bros website for that character's page. This same color used on the individual cells used to showcase them on the main page.

Received a intro card but in alternative art style:
  • Charizard Stock Art [Official Website Background color: #F26B0F]
  • Greninja Stock Art [Official Website Background color: #4875AA]
  • Lucina Stock Art [Official Website Background color: #74a7ca]
  • Robin Stock Art [Official Website Background color: #ce82de]
  • Pac-Man Stock Art [Official Website Background color: #F9B038]
  • Palutena Stock Art [Official Website Background color: #74E8BF]
Missing in general:
  • Meta Knight [Official Website Background color: #2d3d7a]
  • Captain Falcon [Official Website Background color: #9088e2]
  • Ike [Official Website Background color: #c44737]
  • Mii Fighters [Official Website Background color: #5CC1E6]
  • Robin Female / Robin Male & Female Duo [Official Website Background color: #ce82de]
From the video I saw, it looks the font is Arial Black? Wow I can't believe I didn't realize that sooner (unless I am incorrect). This is an album of all the currently released title cards.

EDIT: added in hex colors from main website, and formatted
I'm sorry for the extreme delay. I was on holiday and forgot to check Smashboards!

I made the Bandana Dee one and also did the Ike & Meta Knight ones. I'll do the other ones somewhere next week! Sages, do you maybe have a transparent render of Lucina and the newer ones? As I'd prefer to use transparent renders, removing the white can be a pain sometimes. If not, I'll just do my best and see how they'll turn out. Thanks for the links to the HQ Renders, I already downloaded most of them from the E3 Press Kit, but those don't have all the fighters so these'll be useful!

As far as I found out, they'll use the Arial Font Family. I use Arial Black for the title cards. I could be wrong, but this is the closets I have found to resemble the real ones. Thanks for the album link too!

Tumblr: himynameismaurice.tumblr.com/supersmashbros
This is my tumblr! Here you can see Bandanaa Dee, Meta Knight, Ike and more!

Cheers!

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
Woops! Doublepost... Can't see a "delete" option anywhere :(

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Wow, thank you! It's so amazing!

WE WANT THE DEE

Again, thank you for this masterpiece! You did a fantastic job on it. Also, loving that Meta Knight and Ike!

Sages

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry for the extreme delay. I was on holiday and forgot to check Smashboards!

I made the Bandana Dee one and also did the Ike & Meta Knight ones. I'll do the other ones somewhere next week! Sages, do you maybe have a transparent render of Lucina and the newer ones? As I'd prefer to use transparent renders, removing the white can be a pain sometimes. If not, I'll just do my best and see how they'll turn out. Thanks for the links to the HQ Renders, I already downloaded most of them from the E3 Press Kit, but those don't have all the fighters so these'll be useful!

As far as I found out, they'll use the Arial Font Family. I use Arial Black for the title cards. I could be wrong, but this is the closets I have found to resemble the real ones. Thanks for the album link too!

This is my tumblr! Here you can see Bandanaa Dee, Meta Knight, Ike and more!

Cheers!
That's odd, when I uploaded them to imgur, they were converted to jpgs. I do have a high quality render of the characters in that imgur album. I actually got those renders from this Smashboards member here. He has a link to a zip file for characters and series symbols. It has Lucina, Robin, and the mii fighters too in transparent pngs.

Thank you! I see that you're doing them in your style which is fine (personally I would prefer them to match as close as possible to the actual ones). Any chance on 1920x1080 versions?

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
That's odd, when I uploaded them to imgur, they were converted to jpgs. I do have a high quality render of the characters in that imgur album. I actually got those renders from this Smashboards member here. He has a link to a zip file for characters and series symbols. It has Lucina, Robin, and the mii fighters too in transparent pngs.

Thank you! I see that you're doing them in your style which is fine (personally I would prefer them to match as close as possible to the actual ones). Any chance on 1920x1080 versions?
Ah, thanks! I'll download these and make a new one in 1920x1080 (Full HD) as you requested. I usually do 1280x720 to limit file size, but 1920x1080 is not a problem.

Also, you mentioned you wanted them to look as much like the originals. I'm doing my best to do that, but is there something that you see that I can improve on or that I have to re-check?

Thanks!

EDIT: I added Captain Falcon to my tumblr page, it's resolution is 1920x1080. I went over a few things and tried to make this one look even more like the real thing. Probably the hardest thing I found to do is the lightning. I'd like your honest opinion on it. After all, practise makes perfect!

Last edited:

Sages

Smash Cadet
Ah, thanks! I'll download these and make a new one in 1920x1080 (Full HD) as you requested. I usually do 1280x720 to limit file size, but 1920x1080 is not a problem.

Also, you mentioned you wanted them to look as much like the originals. I'm doing my best to do that, but is there something that you see that I can improve on or that I have to re-check?

Thanks!

EDIT: I added Captain Falcon to my tumblr page, it's resolution is 1920x1080. I went over a few things and tried to make this one look even more like the real thing. Probably the hardest thing I found to do is the lightning. I'd like your honest opinion on it. After all, practise makes perfect!

I just checked your page, and the captain falcon image is still 1235 x 695. It looks great! Only minor flaw, is that quip "Punches In!" was already used by Little mac. If it's not too much trouble could you create one without text and another one with a quip? That would give a lot more options for people's personal preference. Also the " in! " should be " In! ".

Here are some quips I thought of:

• Captain Falcon --- Shows His Moves!
  • Meta Knight --- Swoops In!
  • Ike --- Prepares Himself! / Fights for His Friends! (The 2nd one tends to be more popular)

Last edited:

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
I just checked your page, and the captain falcon image is still 1235 x 695. It looks great! Only minor flaw, is that quip "Punches In!" was already used by Little mac. If it's not too much trouble could you create one without text and another one with a quip? That would give a lot more options for people's personal preference. Also the " in! " should be " In! ".

Here are some quips I thought of:

• Captain Falcon --- Shows His Moves!
  • Meta Knight --- Swoops In!
  • Ike --- Prepares Himself! / Fights for His Friends! (The 2nd one tends to be more popular)
Thanks for all your hard work on helping out! It's really useful! I've remade the Captain Falcon one as you asked and also remade Meta Knight & Ike, gonna do the others later. It seems that Tumblr automatically resizes the images. I've updated my tumblr with the newer ones and updated the links, they now link to imgur.

I also made an imgur album with the new edits.
- himynameismaurice.imgur.com/

Tumblr
- himynameismaurice.tumblr.com/supersmashbros

I like the quips! Totally forgot that 'Punches In!' was already taken by Little Mac. When I first made Ike, I wanted to do 'Fights For His Friends' too, but I felt that it wasn't the best quip as he is basically fighting for himself in Smash, however I changed it anyways as I could not come up with a better quip for him. For Meta Knight I don't have a quip (yet) as I can not come up with a good one and I'm not really happy with 'Takes His Revenge!'

Again; Please give me your honest opinion on them! :) Hope you like them!

Cheers and thanks a bunch!

Sages

Smash Cadet

Wow! These are incredible! They match very close to the originals! I really like how Ike and Meta Knight turned out.

Captain Falcon also turned out really well, but based on his render I wonder if he'd look better on the Left Side of the image, and with the text going in a similar fashion to Mega Man's picture. Like if Captain Falcon was giving the boot to that text.

Edit:

I was given additional feedback by others. One of the things they mentioned that I didn't notice, is that the renders on the official ones are very zoomed in (as opposed to full body, like your rendition). That would be hard to do with the low quality renders, but if you want to give it a shot with the high quality ones go for it.

Last edited:

Sages

Smash Cadet
Thanks for all your hard work on helping out! It's really useful! I've remade the Captain Falcon one as you asked and also remade Meta Knight & Ike, gonna do the others later. It seems that Tumblr automatically resizes the images. I've updated my tumblr with the newer ones and updated the links, they now link to imgur.

I also made an imgur album with the new edits.
- himynameismaurice.imgur.com/

Tumblr
- himynameismaurice.tumblr.com/supersmashbros

I like the quips! Totally forgot that 'Punches In!' was already taken by Little Mac. When I first made Ike, I wanted to do 'Fights For His Friends' too, but I felt that it wasn't the best quip as he is basically fighting for himself in Smash, however I changed it anyways as I could not come up with a better quip for him. For Meta Knight I don't have a quip (yet) as I can not come up with a good one and I'm not really happy with 'Takes His Revenge!'

Was wondering about an update for these character requests:

Character Name --- Background Color
  • Charizard ------ #F26B0F
  • Greninja -------- #4875AA
  • Lucina ----------- #74a7ca
  • Robin (Male/Female/Duo) -- #ce82de
  • PAC-MAN ----- #F9B038
  • Palutena -------- #74E8BF
  • Shulk ------------ #e55b79

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
Hey,

I'm pretty busy with school right now, but I'll try to make some today! :D

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Hey,

I'm pretty busy with school right now, but I'll try to make some today! :D
Say when you get a chance do you mind making an intro for Violet from the Incredibles (most notably her self from Disney Infinity).

Here's the pic:
(not sure what would be a great tagline for her intro "Forces In" sounds slightly lame but fits her the best (references her signature Force field powers), and the best part is that she's transparent (making it super easy to place her in an intro).

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
I made this:

I'm pretty proud of it
But there are a bit of jagged edges around the text, maybe the photoshop stroke layer style caused that

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
Hey,

Just so you guys know, I'm pretty busy right now. School has start again and there is a lot of stuff to do! I promise that I'll try to make the others as soon as possible, sorry for the delay!

@ VioletSmashfan VioletSmashfan Sure, I'l add that to the request list. The only thing I noticed is that the image (render) is quite small, do you maybe have a larger one? Preferably a really big one.

@ LiamMail LiamMail That one looks really good! I love the background colours, the lighting is really good! Just a few tips:
- Make sure the white fill in the text is lined up correctly as the text + brush are on right side and the white fill is on the upper-left (it should be on the bottom right of the text).
- This is just my personal preference, but try to recude the size of your brushes, they are really big in comparison to your text. (See some examples on my tumblr).
- When you want to 'transform' the text, always make sure it's a Smart Object (you can right click your layer in Photoshop and the 'Convert to Smart Object' option should pop up). This'll make sure the text stays crisp.
- Don't forget to add the green-blue light on their names (again, see tumblr).

It looks really good, I can see you put a lot of work in it. Just keep practising and you'll be making great Splash Cards in no-time!

Also, I'm trying to remake the 'Challenger Approaching' screen. This is just a first-time try and it'll get some tweaks so it'll look better. Practice makes perfect after all.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Could you send me the background you used in your "Ice Climbers Unlocked!" except with the shadow under the name and any lighting effects you put in it? I want to make some "Joined the Battle!" screens, but I don't have the shadows in behind the name, so it looks odd.

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
Could you send me the background you used in your "Ice Climbers Unlocked!" except with the shadow under the name and any lighting effects you put in it? I want to make some "Joined the Battle!" screens, but I don't have the shadows in behind the name, so it looks odd.
Sure, although I'm not completely sure if this is what you mean.. Anyway, here is the background without any lighting effects or other stuff.

Link

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Sure, although I'm not completely sure if this is what you mean.. Anyway, here is the background without any lighting effects or other stuff.

Link
Ooh, thank youuuu! I actually worded my post incorrectly, I would like the lighting effects and shadows underneath the text. Basically everything except the IC Render, IC text, and IC Render Shadow.

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
Ooh, thank youuuu! I actually worded my post incorrectly, I would like the lighting effects and shadows underneath the text. Basically everything except the IC Render, IC text, and IC Render Shadow.
Sure, here it is! Hope it'll be useful and that you can incorporate this in your own designs!

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Hey,

Just so you guys know, I'm pretty busy right now. School has start again and there is a lot of stuff to do! I promise that I'll try to make the others as soon as possible, sorry for the delay!

@ VioletSmashfan VioletSmashfan Sure, I'l add that to the request list. The only thing I noticed is that the image (render) is quite small, do you maybe have a larger one? Preferably a really big one.

@ LiamMail LiamMail That one looks really good! I love the background colours, the lighting is really good! Just a few tips:
- Make sure the white fill in the text is lined up correctly as the text + brush are on right side and the white fill is on the upper-left (it should be on the bottom right of the text).
- This is just my personal preference, but try to recude the size of your brushes, they are really big in comparison to your text. (See some examples on
my tumblr).
- When you want to 'transform' the text, always make sure it's a Smart Object (you can right click your layer in Photoshop and the 'Convert to Smart Object' option should pop up). This'll make sure the text stays crisp.
- Don't forget to add the green-blue light on their names (again, see
tumblr).
I can make the Violet image bigger, (although she'll lose the transparent effect in the process, since I'll have to use paint, but yea I can do that no problem.)

I'm going to give the unlocked screen a try (just saved it onto my computer, what font do I need to use (since I don't have Photoshop).

Hoping this is big enough (may need a slight touch up or two (removing the pixels and making it transparent):
Violet Infinity 4 (alt).jpg

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Here's my poorly made version of my unlocked screen (chose a random font): 9efVUtp (beta).png

Here's a slightly improved version without the text (also removed the white outline she had): 9efVUtp (beta 2).png

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I've made some of my own too, though I'm not sure if they are as good as the one above.

Sages

Smash Cadet
Hey,

- This is just my personal preference, but try to recude the size of your brushes, they are really big in comparison to your text. (See some examples on my tumblr).
- Don't forget to add the green-blue light on their names (again, see tumblr).

It looks really good, I can see you put a lot of work in it. Just keep practising and you'll be making great Splash Cards in no-time!

Also, I'm trying to remake the 'Challenger Approaching' screen. This is just a first-time try and it'll get some tweaks so it'll look better. Practice makes perfect after all.
We're you still going to do these, since they have HQ renders available? :(

• PAC-MAN ----- #F9B038

Aegis.

Smash Rookie
We're you still going to do these, since they have HQ renders available? :(

• PAC-MAN ----- #F9B038
Yeah definitely don't worry!

@ TORNADO BUS DRIVER TORNADO BUS DRIVER I'm very busy right now, but if you give me some requests I'll put them on the request list.
@ WolfieXVII ❂ WolfieXVII ❂ Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom