• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Hey everyone, this is kind of just a for fun thread, but maybe it would actually become something haha.
I was wondering what people's thoughts would be on a Super Smash Bros. RPG, and would you buy it? What would you want to see in it, that sort of thing. I think it'd be such a neat idea, and would be really intrigued by the battle system in particular. What would you guys want to see??

Also, a better title than Super Smash Bros. RPG would be great for an actual game haha

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I mean, one day it could happen. With Wonderful 101 originally being just Nintendo characters in early conception (or so I hear), I wouldn't be surprised if they ever do more crossovers with their own IPs. If they ever did one, I wouldn't imagine it to be straight up turn based of course.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo do more with the crossover concept. Maybe make a Fire Emblem-like TBS game where you use other Nintendo characters in addition to FE characters. Or maybe make a Mario Party like game with but boards from various games with a number of Nintendo characters.

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo do more with the crossover concept. Maybe make a Fire Emblem-like TBS game where you use other Nintendo characters in addition to FE characters. Or maybe make a Mario Party like game with but boards from various games with a number of Nintendo characters.
OMG A STRATEGY RPG WITH NINTENDO CHARACTERS
WANT NOW!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Personally with a Smash Bros RPG I would hope for something which is in a sense more interactive - for example, straight up turn based would be a no for me, and something similar to Mario & Luigi in gameplay style would be much better. Then, I would have it so you choose 2-4 characters (Mario & Luigi has two, but had two buttons in the original incarnation for it, whereas nowadays we have 4 and for such a crossover I think more characters on a team would be better). Each character would have standard attacks, their specials (costing special points or something, you know the drill) while also including cross-over attacks where a combination of characters has their own unique special. For example:

King Dedede + Sonic - Sonic spins into a ball which Dedede smashes into an enemy using his hammer
Rosalina + Bowser - Rosalina creates a launch star which launches Bowser (in his shell) into the opponent
Pikachu + Link - Pikachu charges Links sword with electricity, powering it up
Bowser + DK + Dedede + Charizard - the four slam the ground simultaneously, causing an earthquake

That sort of thing would be really interesting to me. As well as having multiplayer to fight with your team against an opponents team; head to head RPG multiplayer is something that I think is a woefully underused idea.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Personally with a Smash Bros RPG I would hope for something which is in a sense more interactive - for example, straight up turn based would be a no for me, and something similar to Mario & Luigi in gameplay style would be much better. Then, I would have it so you choose 2-4 characters (Mario & Luigi has two, but had two buttons in the original incarnation for it, whereas nowadays we have 4 and for such a crossover I think more characters on a team would be better). Each character would have standard attacks, their specials (costing special points or something, you know the drill) while also including cross-over attacks where a combination of characters has their own unique special. For example:

King Dedede + Sonic - Sonic spins into a ball which Dedede smashes into an enemy using his hammer
Rosalina + Bowser - Rosalina creates a launch star which launches Bowser (in his shell) into the opponent
Bowser + DK + Dedede + Charizard - the four slam the ground simultaneously, causing an earthquake

That sort of thing would be really interesting to me. As well as having multiplayer to fight with your team against an opponents team; head to head RPG multiplayer is something that I think is a woefully underused idea.
I would so play this.
I put my money in my wii u and nothing is happening. Why is this not a thing yet.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

This is exactly - exactly - what I would want. Perfect use for Amiibo, as well.

Come one Nintendo, FUND IT.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I would love to see the items used as well. Or take some inspiration from the Mario and Luigi series and have items be involved in special attacks.

A four-party member special could be like All-Star Band, in which Peach Jigglypuff and Kirby use their singing abilities while conducted by Toon Link to inflict a heavy amount of damage with a chance of sleep.

It would be really cool to see unorthodox character ability crossovers, like Zelda using Din's Fire to set of Ivysaur's Seed Bombs, creating fireworks. Or something more funny where Peach and Ness take turns hitting an enemy back and forth with their forward smashes, then smashing them away and taunting.

Support magic would be weird to incorporate. I guess Ness could use PSI shield on a character to absorb projectile based damage for a turn. Or Meta Knight could use Dimensional Cape to cause temporary invisibility to himself

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Personally, I want Smash Bros. to stick to the fighting genre forever. Having it become the mark of all in-company Nintendo crossovers would become messy. Would kinda suck the hype and direction from the main series.

Although, if there were to be a Smash Bros. RPG, the battle system would have to deviate from the norm and create something unseen before, knowing Sakurai. Forget the bland turn-based, TBS, real-time action, CABS, what have you and design something that captures the essence of the Smash series and making the characters fight and function with the same amount of detail as given to their movesets. The Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi RPGs have some great examples of making a bland, traditional combat system dynamic and interactive.

Perhaps the greatest thing that would come out of a Smash RPG is the potential for an epic crossover story, with even more interactions and a fully-fleshed out universe. Just looking into the realm of fanfic brings a lot of interesting metaphysics and world-building in mind.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Guess I'm not the only one with the idea. :laugh:
But seriously, I think it'd be cool.

Last edited:

qerl08

Smash Rookie
If it did happen the main character could be a MII

Also if it was FE styled the weapon triangle could be Fist/close combat weapons -beats-> Sword/Orthodox weapon -beats-> Magic/other

Last edited by a moderator:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
That was the first thing in mind when I was thinking about a Nintendo RPG starring their stable of characters, and because I'm evil, I wondered if they would have death monologues just like in Fire Emblem;)

finalark

SNORLAX
That was the first thing in mind when I was thinking about a Nintendo RPG starring their stable of characters, and because I'm evil, I wondered if they would have death monologues just like in Fire Emblem;)
Somber music plays.

"But... Mario number one!"

Unit fades from the map in a flash.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Please no bumping really really old threads or double posting. Making a new thread is preferable if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom