• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Most Wanted First Party Unique Newcomer Tournament - ROUND 2 VOTING EXTENDED TO 11/6 AT 12PM ET

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Continuing from the prior thread (which was shut along with the rest of that forum), this will be the new home for the tournament. I'm not planning to extend the deadline for Round 1 voting, though.

With Smash Ultimate's DLC ending and even though the next game is probably 3-5 years into the future, I think it would be cool to find out who the most wanted newcomers are on Smash Boards. Nimbostratus did something like this for Ultimate before the game was shown off at E3 and now that several big characters have already made it in, I'd like to see where things stand now (and then I'd like to see this tournament done again when the next game is announced to see how things change).

First, I plan to do a tournament for first party unique newcomers and then third party unique newcomers and then echo newcomers.

I'm going to start off with a qualifying round, where you have 100 first party unique newcomers to choose from. In this round, you are essentially picking the characters you want to see in the tournament (which will have either 16, 32 or 64 characters depending on how many votes are cast and where the votes fall). As a result, you can vote for multiple characters in this round. It's actually encouraged. For example, if you want Waluigi, Skull Kid, Dixie Kong and Krystal, feel free to vote for all of them in this qualifying round. Of course it does defeat the purpose if you just vote for everyone listed, so I recommend that people try to limit it to 64 max (not sure if there's a way for me to manually add a limit).

How many votes characters get can also help determine their placement in the tournament proper.

Here is the Google Form to cast your votes for Round 2: https://forms.gle/62yfnYWVibthgqbW9

Not sure how long I will keep this up, but I will let people know ahead of time when I plan to cease voting for the qualifying round. I just want to give people an opportunity to vote first.

You can view the qualifying round as an opportunity for us to make a tournament as a group as opposed to just me making the matchups.

I have added a bracket created by Nimbostratus Nimbostratus for the first round.

Attachments

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Some of these races keep swinging back and forth, it’s crazy
Haha, yeah. Some races are pretty close and it'll be interesting to see what happens even with less than 24 hours to go. Not sure what I'd do in the event of a tie. Maybe I'd prioritize the higher ranked character (from the qualifying round) in those cases if it happens.

Also, I have added a bracket to the first post.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Haha, yeah. Some races are pretty close and it'll be interesting to see what happens even with less than 24 hours to go. Not sure what I'd do in the event of a tie. Maybe I'd prioritize the higher ranked character (from the qualifying round) in those cases if it happens.

Also, I have added a bracket to the first post.
Good old fashioned coin toss never goes out of style

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Voting has closed for Round 1! I will post the results later today. Taking a quick glance, there are some surprising results. Round 2 will start tomorrow after I post the results today.

Matchup #1: Isaac wins 40-19-3! No surprises here.
Matchup #2: Kamek wins 38-24! Samurai Goroh actually did better than I thought considering their rankings the qualifying round.
Matchup #3: Captain Syrup wins 44-18! This surprised me, although if there was no ARMS character playable in Smash, Spring-Man probably would've won.
Matchup #4: Tom Nook wins 42-19! Not terribly surprising considering the qualifying round. 1 person abstained.
Matchup #5: Skull Kid wins 57-5! The most lopsided victory in this round. Expected an easy win for Skull Kid, but I thought Tingle would've done a bit better.
Matchup #6: Magolor wins 42-18! Not terribly surprising because Metroid has more reps in Smash and Magolor has been around a lot longer. 2 people abstained.
Matchup #7: Dillon wins 34-28! Pretty close match and the lower ranked character pulled out the victory.
Matchup #8: Waluigi wins 34-28! Same margin as the prior matchup. Surprisingly close! I think Slippy was actually leading at one point or brought it even.
Matchup #9: TIE AT 31 VOTES. As discussed, I'd prefer to prioritize the higher ranked character in these cases, so Paper Mario pulls out the win because his rank is significantly higher. Very surprised at a tie!
Matchup #10: Prince of Sablé wins 35-27! Again, the lower ranked character pulls out a win! Surprised by this as well.
Matchup #11: Toon Zelda/Tetra wins 33-29! Close match with the lower ranked character winning. Surprised that people would prefer this duo over Midna & Wolf Link.
Matchup #12: Ashley wins 35-26! Another decently close matchup, but the final result is no surprise. 1 person abstained.
Matchup #13: Chibi-Robo wins 37-25!
Matchup #14: DJ Octavio wins 37-24! 1 person abstained.
Matchup #15: Mach Rider wins 37-25!
Matchup #16: Andy wins 42-20!
Matchup #17: Bandana Waddle Dee wins 50-12!
Matchup #18: Ayumi Tachibana wins 40-22!
Matchup #19: Ring Fit Trainee wins 35-27!
Matchup #20: Ganon wins 39-22! 1 person abstained.
Matchup #21: Chorus Kids win 40-22!
Matchup #22: Stylist wins 34-27! This was actually one of the closest matches through the tournament. I thought this one would lead to a tie. 1 person abstained.
Matchup #23: King Boo wins 32-30! So close to being a tie!
Matchup #24: Captain Toad/Toadette wins 43-19!
Matchup #25: Takamaru wins 52-10!
Matchup #26: Starfy wins 49-13!
Matchup #27: Lip wins 34-28! Surprised by this result. If I recall, Officer Howard led through out much of the voting.
Matchup #28: Saki Amamiya wins 33-29! Surprisingly close as well.
Matchup #29: Mona wins 32-30! The biggest upset of this round, in my opinion. Had it been a tie, Krystal would've won.
Matchup #30: Cranky Kong wins 39-23!
Matchup #31: Pauline wins 34-28! Surprised by this as well. Figured another EarthBound rep and another villain would do better than another Mario character.
Matchup #32: Dixie Kong wins 54-8!

With that, the first round is complete!

Trivia:
Six matchups featured people abstaining, with one matchup having two people abstain.
Ten matchups featured the lower ranked character prevailing (although two of of them had characters right next to each other in numbering).
Skull Kid was the only character to reach over 90% in his matchup.

I'll post other trivia later after I finish taking a look at it.

Here are the Round 2 matchups (which will be scheduled to go live tomorrow at 12pm ET):
Isaac VS Kamek
Captain Syrup VS Tom Nook
Skull Kid VS Magolor
Dillon VS Waluigi
Paper Mario VS Prince of Sablé
Toon Zelda/Tetra VS Ashley
Chibi-Robo VS DJ Octavio
Mach Rider VS Andy
Bandana Waddle Dee VS Ayumi Tachibana
Ring Fit Trainee VS Ganon
Chorus Kids VS Stylist
King Boo VS Captain Toad/Toadette
Takamaru VS Starfy
Lip VS Saki Amamiya
Mona VS Cranky Kong
Pauline VS Dixie Kong

Looks like we could be in for some close matchups in Round 2 as well!
Will update the bracket later.

I have updated the bracket in the first post and attached it here as well.

Some more trivia for the first round results:

Krystal was the highest ranked character to be knocked off in the first round (and her opponent is the lowest ranked character to still be in it).
Tingle and Viridi were the only characters with less than 10% of the vote in their matchups. Since Viridi's was a 3 way matchup, Tingle is the only one like this in a head to head.

EDIT: Voting has now started for Round 2! Runs until 10/30 at 12pm ET.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Giving this a needed bump. Also, you won't have to fear a double post when providing the results.

My personal picks for these matchups:

Isaac VS Kamek

Isaac is my most wanted. No extra explanation needed.

Captain Syrup VS Tom Nook

I like Tom Nook, but I feel like the Animal Crossing movesets can only be stretched so much further. Wario Land could use some more love, and I think Captain Syrup just brings more to the table.

Skull Kid VS Magolor

At least, I think I picked Skull Kid? Honestly, I was pretty torn on this one.

Dillon VS Waluigi

I'd be down for Dillon, but I think its time for Waluigi to get in.

Paper Mario VS Prince of Sablé

Paper Mario could have a good moveset, but so could the Prince. Given that, I'd rather get a new series represented. Admittedly, I'm one of those a little bitter about the direction Paper Mario has taken after TTYD. I enjoyed Super Paper Mario, and Origami King was charming from a writing/setting perspective, but I'm still miffed by some of the gameplay choices.

Toon Zelda/Tetra VS Ashley

Ashely is still one of my most wanted. I'd like to see a WarioWare character, and I think Ashely has a unique personality, design, and moveset potential that I think would fit in great. I love Zelda, but I'd pick that over an alternate version of a character already in the game. A shame that Ashley's support cratered in such a bizarre fashion after her Assist Trophy reveal. I was hoping the preliminary results would suggest people are starting to forgive her, but I guess I got my hopes up for nothing.

Chibi-Robo VS DJ Octavio

It's nothing personal, but I'm old school and I think Chibi deserves some love.

Mach Rider VS Andy

Tough to go against my GBA bros. Andy's series has deserved some love, and I'm glad it's finally getting it. It would be interesting to see how his moveset turns out.

Bandana Waddle Dee VS Ayumi Tachibana

Honestly, I'm just here for the Famicom Detective Club representation. It's as simple as that. I'll probably be voting for the Dee in the next round after his victory here.

Ring Fit Trainee VS Ganon

As with the Toon Zelda situation, I'd rather see a new series than an alternate of an existing character. I love LoZ, but I don't find Ganon all that interesting. Now if we were talking Wind Waker Ganondorf, I might have to give that bias a bit of pause...

Chorus Kids VS Stylist

I don't care that much either way, but I feel like the Chorus Kids are a more natural fit.

King Boo VS Captain Toad/Toadette

King Boo is fine, but Captain Toad is one of my favorites. Toad is truly a Nintendo All-Star, I like the Captain persona, and I've seen some pretty cool moveset ideas for him.

Takamaru VS Starfy

I do think a reboot chance for Takamaru could be cool, but I can accept whatever happens here.

Lip VS Saki Amamiya

Another one that I'm okay with either outcome.

Mona VS Cranky Kong

Cranky would be fun, and Ashely is my Wario pick. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry that Mona is actually doing better. Oh well, Mona's cool, too.

Pauline VS Dixie Kong

Dixie is one of my most wanted, but I'm getting too sleepy by now to explain more.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I'm actually thinking about extending the deadline a week. 20 votes is pretty low compared to like 60 in round 1. Ideally, I'd like to see round 2 hit around 30 votes. We'll see what happens by tomorrow though!

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I HAVE DECIDED TO EXTEND VOTING EXACTLY ONE WEEK!

Honestly, some of these results so far are kind of surprising, but maybe that's because there hasn't been as much votes cast as there was in the qualifying round. I'll extend it for one more week and see what happens.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
My bad. I forgot about it yesterday. Wasn't even expecting this many responses. I will likely get Round 3 started later today if not tomorrow.

EDIT: I closed the voting. I'll try to get to looking at the results and posting it sometime this week hopefully.

Last edited:
Top Bottom