• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Super Smash Bros. Melee: Revision 3 - The 'Nintendo Patch' Project

PKFreeZZy

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
VETR#758
Discord server: https://discord.gg/Qgd8aRJmCt

Quite a few people have been asking for a mod that fixes all of the jank programming that resulted from the game's short development cycle and I had been working on a mod titled Melee DX that combined Melee's original design philosophy with a rebalanced cast. The overall project has been in development for over one year and a half now, so I believe now is the time to finally release it!

Introducing...

Super Smash Bros. Melee: Revision 3!

Or, in other words: Super Smash Bros. Melee v1.03.

This mod is not affiliated with Hax's 1.03 memory card!

What is the goal of Super Smash Bros. Melee: Revision 3?

Melee had a very rough development cycle: HAL Laboratory were given 13 months to finish the game in time for the GameCube's launch date. They delivered: NTSC version 1.00 was released first, followed by an immediate hotfix in the form of 1.01... and then 1.02! The final revision, PAL, was released to Europe, Australia, and other parts of the world that used the PAL television encoding format. Each of these revisions offered some degree of bug fixes, but in the end, Melee had still not been fully remedied as oversights in both character files and code continued to lurk.

Super Smash Bros. Melee: Revision 3 is a mod that aims to iron out all of these inconsistencies, mistakes, oversights and errors that were never officially fixed while also offering a fully faithful rebalancing of the original cast, simulating a final 'Nintendo-Style' patch that would have been released before development on Brawl began.

For a quick preview, here's a list of some major bugfixes:
  • Shield Position Update Fix - Shield Bubbles now follow player position when performing Shield SDI

• Collision State Parser Fix - fixes an oversight in the function that changes bone collision states which causes it to ignore hurtboxes sharing the same Bone ID (i.e. Mr. Game & Watch's nose is now intangible during Up Smash)

• Cape Teleport Glitch Fix - prevents certain characters from snapping to the opposite ledge if caped by Mario or Dr. Mario during their quick ledge attack

• Update TopN Location in ECB calculation v2 - fixes model clipping through stage collisions [thanks to tauKhan for original code & UnclePunch for ASM help!]

• Box Glitch Fix - the Mario Bros. can no longer be trapped on Jungle Japes due to a collision bug [tauKhan]

• Freeze Glitch Fix - Ice Climbers are now unable to freeze opponents indefinitely [tauKhan]

• Invisible Ceiling Glitch Fix - fixes glitched vertical knockback behavior after hitting the right side of foes' shields [tauKhan]

• Throw Hitstun Priority Fix - throws no longer skip the first frame of hitstun when throwing foes due to port priority [Achilles1515]

• Samus Extender Crash Fix - cannot activate Extender on problematic frames [UnclePunch]

• Break the Targets Intangibility Glitch Fix - addresses oversight that glitches collision state updates after exiting BTT stages [UnclePunch]

Mr. Game & Watch's shield now fully covers his entire body!

Also, his nose is now intangible during Up Smash.

Kirby lifts Mario into the air with Up Throw...

...and lands on the top platform of Dream Land!

Yoshi's head no longer peeks into the Z-Axis as he performs dash grab.

Ganondorf aims for a ledge with his Side Special...

...and grabs it!

Link pulls airborne Mario with his hookshot.

Ness charges his Yo-Yo over the ledge.

His Forward Smash reflector is also reliable now!

Credits:

Achilles1515: Throw Hitstun Port Priority Fix

Altimor: Frame Speed Modifiers

PKFreeZZy: Lead development, character modifications & gecko codes

tauKhan: ASM codes and help

UnclePunch: Transparent HUD v1.1 and various codes

Gerbungis, Arrowshoes and Val_Zechta: playtesting

Special Thanks:

DRGN: DAT Texture Wizard & Melee Code Manager

B&D Games: Melee Myths video series

PloAJ: HSDraw & mextool

UnclePunch: research and development

sushie: Hitbox Extensions & Autolink Angle Codes, playtesting and support

...and YOU, for playing SSBM:R3!

A text file including the full changelog and credits is included in the downloadable archive below.

Conventional gecko codes such as UCF and lag reduction can be added on top!

Current version: v1.4

Compatible with Slippi!

NOTE: Running on Slippi with recording enabled may, on some rare occasions, cause conflicts with the data expansion code used in Revision 3. We appear to have successfully fixed this bug recently, however, if any crashes occur in spite of this, please let me know here in the forum! I apologize for the inconvenience.

Download here!

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
This sounds great! The design philosophy sounds like SD Remix, but perhaps even a bit more conservative. Have you and Ripple Ripple been sharing a lot of your guys' balancing forays or solutions for bugs? I see there are a lot of codes shared between both mod projects (particularly character-related codes).

PKFreeZZy

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
VETR#758
This sounds great! The design philosophy sounds like SD Remix, but perhaps even a bit more conservative. Have you and Ripple Ripple been sharing a lot of your guys' balancing forays or solutions for bugs? I see there are a lot of codes shared between both mod projects (particularly character-related codes).
Thanks, DRGN!

I haven't collaborated with Ripple on anything since last summer (fixing the size of Mr. Game & Watch's Cement model) nor have I been keeping up with SD Remix updates, so if there are codes or ideas shared, it's pure coincidence (or it's because I posted some of my own character codes in the Melee Workshop discord.) The one idea I know for sure came from SD Remix is Mewtwo's Confusion transitioning foes into the MissFoot action state, because it's probably the best middle ground between the original behavior and usability.

Over 95% of the balance changes are original and were tested with the help of some friends as well as personal evaluation.

Watchdog04

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
WATC#246
Great job! The mod is super fun! I especially like how you've done Mewtwo; he plays just how I'd expect him to if they ever did do a 1.03.

Shane Lee Shin

Smash Apprentice
I'm extremely grateful that you put this together. I've been wanting something like this for a while now 😁

BXBX

Smash Cadet
Echoing what Shane Lee Shin said this is very interesting and I've been wanting something like this for a while now too. I took a quick look at the changelog, but I didn't see any mention of fixing that bug where characters sometimes jump super high after being hit out of a missed tech. It's very obnoxious imo and I've yet to find fix. Also, I feel like Peach's sideB not hitting shields is also a bug that should be fixed.

Last edited:

PKFreeZZy

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
VETR#758
Echoing what Shane Lee Shin said this is very interesting and I've been wanting something like this for a while now too. I took a quick look at the changelog, but I didn't see any mention of fixing that bug where characters sometimes jump super high after being hit out of a missed tech. It's very obnoxious imo and I've yet to find fix. Also, I feel like Peach's sideB not hitting shields is also a bug that should be fixed.
The missed tech glitch is actually fixed; it falls in the same category as the Jab Reset Glitch.

I actually didn't know about Peach's Side-B not working on shields, will look into it.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
The missed tech glitch is actually fixed; it falls in the same category as the Jab Reset Glitch.

I actually didn't know about Peach's Side-B not working on shields, will look into it.
Nice! I missed that. Is that code documented somewhere? I'd like to add it to my melee code manager library.

Referring to this
* Jab reset requirements: less than 6.1% damage AND 60 knockback -> jab reset pop-up glitch eliminated
I thought the glitch occurred because hitstun was set to 0 at the end of the DownDamage animation while knockback was still applied so the player can get knockback + jump velocity at the same time. So wouldn't the glitch still occur if hit with a move that has knockback close to 60, just to a lesser extent?

PKFreeZZy

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
VETR#758
Nice! I missed that. Is that code documented somewhere? I'd like to add it to my melee code manager library.

Referring to this

I thought the glitch occurred because hitstun was set to 0 at the end of the DownDamage animation while knockback was still applied so the player can get knockback + jump velocity at the same time. So wouldn't the glitch still occur if hit with a move that has knockback close to 60, just to a lesser extent?
It can be found here:

Will be updating 1.03 again soon!

PKFreeZZy

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
VETR#758
Updated the mod to v1.4. Some notable changes:
  • Peach Bomber now goes off on shielding players
  • DK's Cargo directional throws can now be buffered with the C-Stick
  • DK's shield angles now use the X-Axis for rotation
  • Kirby's Final Cutter air mobility now implements air friction in its formula
  • Smash Attacks now perform an animation update instantly on charge release rather than stalling for one frame
  • Hammer item no longer stales nor does it trigger the "Stale Moves" bonus anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: M64

M64

Smash Rookie
Updated the mod to v1.4. Some notable changes:
  • Peach Bomber now goes off on shielding players
  • DK's Cargo directional throws can now be buffered with the C-Stick
  • DK's shield angles now use the X-Axis for rotation
  • Kirby's Final Cutter air mobility now implements air friction in its formula
  • Smash Attacks now perform an animation update instantly on charge release rather than stalling for one frame
  • Hammer item no longer stales nor does it trigger the "Stale Moves" bonus anymore
wow it's amazing, the buffs feel super natural I feel that everything works as it should it's much more varied and fun and although vanilla melee is fun it's very monotonous always seeing the same characters I really appreciate this mod a lot, BUT I'm having a serious problem because Link and Young Link's grabs and Z-air are crashing the game on my wii, it works fine on dolphin but I'm more of a console player

PKFreeZZy

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
VETR#758
wow it's amazing, the buffs feel super natural I feel that everything works as it should it's much more varied and fun and although vanilla melee is fun it's very monotonous always seeing the same characters I really appreciate this mod a lot, BUT I'm having a serious problem because Link and Young Link's grabs and Z-air are crashing the game on my wii, it works fine on dolphin but I'm more of a console player
Hey there, glad you like Revision 3! Thank you for your feedback!

I've actually been looking forward to reports on how the mod behaves on real hardware. I thought I had fixed the Link/Young Link hookshot crash, but it appears I'll have to take extra measures then.

Have you noticed any other abnormalities? Sheik's Chain Dance, PK Thunder, Boomerang, Samus's Grapple and the Ice Climbers' Up Special are known 'troublemakers' when it comes to console.

PKFreeZZy

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
VETR#758
Released a hotfix just now that is supposed to fix the hookshot crash. Let me know how it goes!

M64

Smash Rookie
Hey there, glad you like Revision 3! Thank you for your feedback!

I've actually been looking forward to reports on how the mod behaves on real hardware. I thought I had fixed the Link/Young Link hookshot crash, but it appears I'll have to take extra measures then.

Have you noticed any other abnormalities? Sheik's Chain Dance, PK Thunder, Boomerang, Samus's Grapple and the Ice Climbers' Up Special are known 'troublemakers' when it comes to console.
I have tried all the characters and at the moment everything works correctly except for the link hookshot

Released a hotfix just now that is supposed to fix the hookshot crash. Let me know how it goes!
which one? the v1.4? and where do i download it?

which one? the v1.4? and where do i download it?
Since I wasn't sure where to download it, I downloaded it twice, that is, here and on ssbmtextures.com, I already tried them and verified that the version with the hookshot bug is ssbmtextures.com

PKFreeZZy

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
VETR#758
Since I wasn't sure where to download it, I downloaded it twice, that is, here and on ssbmtextures.com, I already tried them and verified that the version with the hookshot bug is ssbmtextures.com
Sorry, forgot about the SSBMTextures post. It's supposed to be a portal to this forum, but it seemed inevitable to upload the mod file and I haven't updated it since.

So, if I'm not mistaken, the old SSBMTextures version crashes and the new one you got from this link works?

M64

Smash Rookie
Sorry, forgot about the SSBMTextures post. It's supposed to be a portal to this forum, but it seemed inevitable to upload the mod file and I haven't updated it since.

So, if I'm not mistaken, the old SSBMTextures version crashes and the new one you got from this link works?
Yes

M64

Smash Rookie
Alright, glad the fix works, thank you for confirming that!
no problem I'll keep trying things on real hardware, if I find another bug I'll report it, I've been doing tests trying to add stages and I realized that the mod crashes if you mix it with m-ex but well that's already something external to the mod because at the moment the mod itself is working excellent👌

Alright, glad the fix works, thank you for confirming that!
By the way, I have been reading the patch notes and I noticed that there is a lot of work behind it and the final result is super satisfactory. I think that the mod should have much more exposure. I mean, I literally came across your mod by pure chance because I almost never go to ssbmtextures.com and I hadn't visited Smashboars for like 5 years, I mean I literally went back to Smashboars for your mod, if you make a presentation trailer that compares the differences between vanilla and R3 it would be great.

Sorry I know it's a lot of text but I have a question, do you know how I can get stages from Akaneia or 20XX and import them to stages that are not the legal ones? it is for a personal build based on your mod for example I want to put the Hyrule Castle (n64) and Wario Ware

Top Bottom