• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Melee: Port vs Remaster

PortvsRemaster.jpg

Nintendo always loves to market off of their entire back catalog of games. While Nintendo's been slow about their Virtual Console with the Nintendo. Switch, ports, reprints, remasters, remakes, and more are very common for Nintendo. Nintendo hasn't avoided Super Smash Bros. even, with re-releasing the first game in the series on the virtual console on 2009. Nintendo knows they'll eventually have to touch this game - The question isn't if, it's when and how

Among these options, we've drafted about five ideas,

1. Port

A 1:1 port - Problems can still arise with a 1:1 port on modern consoles, but with the right precision, putting in the time to make a 1:1 port of Super Smash Bros. Melee for modern consoles can pay off. It's part of the safer routes for there to be as little divisiveness.

2. Remaster

A bit similar to the port, but this is more of a graphical enhancement with possibly some issues fixed here and there. A graphical enhancement could involve reusing assets, but depending on how it's done, there could easily be some divisiveness.

3. Remake

A total re-envisioning of Super Smash Bros: Melee - Something more like Project M. This would be seeing Melee through with added content. This is definitely harder to do since it means that a lot of the games content would probably have to be reworked from the ground up. While this would be interesting to see, the amount of divisiveness would probably weigh the heaviest here.

4. GameCube Mini

There's many holes in this happening, but it wouldn't be impossible. The biggest hurdle is even getting to a GameCube Mini. Of course, there's one more option. We saved it for last because it's a little bit out there,

5. A Reprint

Surprisingly, a few niche companies like Atlus are still reprinting copies of their games that are almost ten years old. Nintendo has already proven capable of some form reprints through the NES and SNES classic. Reprinting a few popular games, Melee included, would be a win for both fans and for Nintendo themselves.

Unfortunately, while this option might be favored by many people it's also a pipe dream, and Nintendo is in the business of selling Hardware as well as Software.

How would you like to see a Melee Port, Remaster, or so forth handled? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited:
Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

I was going to say it should be nothing other than a GCN VC title but now VC is not a thing anymore.

Maybe it could be an E-Shop title of sorts? For a reduced price and whatnot. Although IDK if Nintendo would want that game to compete with Smash Switch.

Option 3: remake for sure. If Nintendo tried to do things like balance the game, fix certain things (make Raptor boost grab the ledge XD) and give it more options out of gameplay, basically just getting it with the times.

Option 3: remake for sure. If Nintendo tried to do things like balance the game, fix certain things (make Raptor boost grab the ledge XD) and give it more options out of gameplay, basically just getting it with the times.
I would like that. However, diehard Melee fans are not going to pleased with any changes Nintendo makes for Melee, even if it is for the better (such as fixing bugs, fixing busted moves, and balancing the roster).

I really liked the idea of a reprint, since copies of the game will only be going up in price over the coming years due to rarity or destruction of original discs. I doubt Nintendo would ever consider reprinting it though. I don't really care for a remaster or an HD version so to speak, just because I think that it would fracture the melee community which is pretty loyal to their game as is, so I don't think that camaraderie between everyone should be tampered with. Maybe in the year 20XX we'll get a Gamecube mini or have it ported onto the switch so we can play melee whenever and wherever we want, but if it does happen, it had better be the original game, frame for frame and pixel for pixel

I feel like people overstate the stubbornness of the Melee community. Melee kids don't dislike things that aren't Melee simply because they aren't Melee, they dislike things that aren't as fun/aren't fun in the same way. If there were to be a remake of Melee with additional content and balance adjustments, the Melee community would likely play it as long as it's fun and exciting in the same ways.

TL;DR: An absence of shinespikes and Fox up-smashes wouldn't kill a Melee remake. People would still play it.

A remaster would be perfect, especially if it's as lovingly crafted as the Christian Whitehead Sonic remasters. A port would be really cool to, just not as exciting.

while I personally avoid playing Melee because I was spoiled by the modern games' (and Rivals of Aether's) ability to buffer inputs, I do respect it enough to feel that if Melee was going to make a major return, I believe a remastering with VERY MINIMAL CHANGES would probably be the best attempt at seeking a sort of middle ground.

I say "very minimal changes" in the light that as it is alone, the game itself is otherwise just right for everyone into it, all that would need (in my eyes) to be done is make a couple of very tiny tweaks to the controls to make the game at least somewhat easier to transition to from modern games. modern smash bros titles, for instance, have a buffer of 10 frames, or a sixth of a second for the joe shmoes... which I've heard is way too generous when I was playing PM. so, instead, why not adapt a buffering equivalent that accounts for how fast melee is, which would mean a smaller buffer window?

so if 10 frames is too generous for Melee's speed, why not have it at 5 frames or less. I read on Smashwiki that there's a "grace period" for Fast Falling, so I'd like to think it's not TOO unreasonable. but, hey, I'm all to discussing/debating it...

overall, a remaster sounds more feasible since the players already like it for what it is, and it could provide a little room to maybe tweak the game in very small ways to account for the various regional variants of the game, NTSC and PAL in particular... and maybe put in a couple of things to make it a little less of a hassle transitioning to, because I personally would like to play a game where I'm wasting less time getting inputs to happen in the first place.

Last edited:
If they touch Melee it will be a port.

I don’t see them going deep into a remake given they would rather just make a brand new game than remake an old version of smash.

Pal va NTSC shouldn’t be a sticking point imo because it’s not that drastic of a difference outside of a few changes here and there. Just making a good port alone is what people want. With online like the switch is trying to do that would get people to have it in HD at least.

Last edited:
If they touch Melee it will be a port.

I don’t see them going deep into a remake given they would rather just make a brand new game than remake an old version of smash.

Pal va NTSC shouldn’t be a sticking point imo because it’s that drastic of a difference outside of a few changes here and there. Just making a good port alone is what people want. With online like the switch is trying to do that would get people to have it in HD at least.
No offense, but maybe read what you wrote aloud. Personally, I had a difficult time understanding parts of it. Just sayin'.... Just self edit, ok.

Last edited:
No offense, but maybe read what you wrote aloud. Personally, I had a difficult time understanding parts of it. Just sayin'.... Just self edit, ok.
you actually took the time out of your day to make a smug reply to a comment solely because you can't decipher a minor typo using context clues

Top Bottom