• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Generation (Using Game Maker)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The reason I am provoking you in this manner is the fact that these smash clone games pop up about once a week. Lemme make this absolutely clear: None of them have been completed. As a result, they are turning into forum spam. That is why I have a vested interest in this thread. The reason we guys "always think thise" is as I just stated. No one has the proper resume to fully code one of these projects to completion.
That's not it at all. It because no one finishes them. Games (good games) take a while to finish. Everyone who has posted a game has just started.

sam4

Smash Cadet
RyanPF said:
SSJ4Kazuki said:
Priority isn't a variable XD (not in brawl) it might have been in melee.
In Brawl, priority depends on the size and position of the hitbox.
In Super Nuke Bros, the hitboxes have 7 attributes:
It doesn't have to be an exact Brawl replica. >.> Your other stuff looks good. Do you have a demo of yours out?
Rofl, why would anyone want it to be a replica of Brawl? I mean, come on guys, it's BRAWL. :p

SmashChu said:
Everyone who has posted a game has just started.
Sometimes, you don't enough about something that someone just posts. But that doesn't mean you can just assume something out of thin air.

That wasn't really directed at you, Chu, it's just the only thing here I could quote that could be used as an example... or at least from what I have read. :)

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
It will be difficult to make a presentable game in Gamemaker, let alone a good, fun one.

Your friend may have got a bit over his head whilst preparing this, because unless they have all the free time in the world, there is no way this will get completed.

For example, it took me around 2 weeks to make a minute long flash movie running at 12fps with 800+frames with hardly any actual movement, mainly text. It took 2 years for Brawl to be released, plus planning time before E3, and that was with a professional team of however many people. One person working on creating a "clone" of said game with more features will take at least 3 years plus
duke nukem forever will have already been release by the time it is finished
, and I'd expect that your friend would be tired of the project by then.

I support your project, I just have a feeling it won't be completed.
Good luck though :bee:.

Godzilla 10K

Smash Rookie
Hm. interesting conversation i missed out on >.<

I'm 13, working on 2 animations (a movie and a series), and have plenty of time on my hands to work on them all. Production of all these projects have their scheduled times. Right now im working on the movie for the Atari forums (I don't know why since I got banned there), and a personal series I could care less about at this point. So yeah mock me for being 13 trying to make a Smash clone, I don't care. I know I'll get this game finished, even if there's alot for me to learn.

It doesn't have to be an exact Brawl replica. >.>
Your other stuff looks good. Do you have a demo of yours out?
Thank you. And I do but it's not even worth playing.

Corigames

Smash Hero
It's called making priorities, setting a schedule... making a plan and stuff you know?

You can't just shotgun your efforts and hope everything falls into place :/

Godzilla 10K

Smash Rookie
yeah, i basically just randomized whenever i worked on what...

Right now I'm ripping sprites for the movie... anyone wanna help rip some sprites for the game?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Have you written up everything that it will take to make this game?
-characters
-stages
-resources
-scope
-timeline
-mile stones

If you don't plan anything out, you aren't going to get anywhere. You are going to be constantly adding more and more things and never get the game out. If you don't construct some sort of structure for the future of this game, it's going to fall apart like a poorly planned house.

On top of that, you are a young teenager who probably should be focusing on more important things and you seem to be boggled down with many different projects. It's better to do one right then a whole bunch sloppy.

Angry Sun

Smash Apprentice
^Actually, umm... I've been telling G 90's everything back at Atari. :chuckle:

I'll try my best to get a demo out before next year, but it'd only have 2-3 characters to choose from :/
Ooh, I got mentioned.

Hello everyone, I am Godzilla 90's... in another forum, maybe you've seen my name around, maybe not. I am the one who G10K has been telling everything about too. :) I'm pleased to say that production is going ahead in full-force, expect the website to update soon. ;)

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
Hm. interesting conversation i missed out on >.<

I'm 13, working on 2 animations (a movie and a series), and have plenty of time on my hands to work on them all. Production of all these projects have their scheduled times. Right now im working on the movie for the Atari forums (I don't know why since I got banned there), and a personal series I could care less about at this point. So yeah mock me for being 13 trying to make a Smash clone, I don't care. I know I'll get this game finished, even if there's alot for me to learn.

Thank you. And I do but it's not even worth playing.
Ha told you people. It can be finished.

SO! Have anythign to say. HA HA HA! Me and Godzilla 10K were right!

YOU WERE ALL WRONG!

BAH HA HA HA HA!!!!

Including you coreygames and Frown.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Ha told you people. It can be finished.

SO! Have anythign to say. HA HA HA! Me and Godzilla 10K were right!

YOU WERE ALL WRONG!

BAH HA HA HA HA!!!!

Including you coreygames and Frown.
O.o

They're not wrong until there's a good finished product.

(and that's all I'll say about that)

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
O.o

They're not wrong until there's a good finished product.

(and that's all I'll say about that)
Oh good point. Sorry. Well we'll just have to wait. Also any of you are gladly allowed to help with the production of this game. If any of you want to help work on it.

OH and Coreygames. Go take a hike.

Sorry and yeah like I said if you guys want.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Have you written up everything that it will take to make this game?
-characters
-stages
-resources
-scope
-timeline
-mile stones
Okay, thanks for the help, it's really appreciated.
Also any of you are gladly allowed to help with the production of this game. If any of you want to help work on it.

Oh, sorry for helping. I won't make the same mistake twice ; )

Godzilla 10K

Smash Rookie
Oh good point. Sorry. Well we'll just have to wait. Also any of you are gladly allowed to help with the production of this game. If any of you want to help work on it.

Sorry and yeah like I said if you guys want.
Corey's giving advice. You need to chill. They have a very good reason to disagree with us about the completion of this project. (I'd know, I hang around the Coder's Paradise section in McLeod's Forums)

And don't listen to Angry Sun, my nimble minded companion. I'm busy working on a project for him, the site's not gonna be updated for a while

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Yet another smash game has begun in the Computer Cafe room. >_>

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Yet another smash game has begun in the Computer Cafe room. >_>
And each one thinks that they're "special." The game will be a good distraction for a couple months (If that,) they'll have put in a bunch of time to a game that looks crappy and doesn't play, and then give up.

Eaode

Smash Champion
I think this is great.

Obviously it will never live up to what people expect, because it will inevitably be compared to smash. For instance, SSF got finished and it was okay for a flash game, and it was cool that there were smash characters, but that was about it. I look forward to playing it...

..given that it's good. also I find GM games better than flash games a lot of times, considering the great flash games are made by those who have professional knowledge of it and usually are sponsored by something like ArmorGames. Although GM has the n00b "hey I can has game make?" factor, its ease of use lends it to plentiful amounts of good games, whose popularity it limited only by the fact the they cannot be played in browsers and thus are not nearly as widespread.

I also resent the amount of flack that GM gets from people who use other methods. Telling someone that it's near-impossible to make smash in GM shows that you do not understand GM past the initial newb stages of game design. Someone even made a comment asking how they would do percentages or a win screen (EDIT: Also, double jumping)? What the hell was that? Of course you can do these things (and they're easy), game maker isn't a cookie-cutter design interface like you think, it is a very open-ended programming language that just happens to have many built-in features that facilitate game design.

So stop discouraging them and learn moar before you start tearing apart GM plz.

[/rant]

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
If you read my posts more carefully, you should note that I am pushing for success: I want these dozen projects to team up to make something amazing. I'm tired of these many individual projects that go nowhere. None of them have finished. I'll just clarify that I define "finished" as this: the game is essentially done; the game has a widespread following; the only updates are repair patches and minor improvements.

I want 100 people working 1 project instead of 100 people working on 50 projects.

Eaode

Smash Champion
If you read my posts more carefully, you should note that I am pushing for success: I want these dozen projects to team up to make something amazing. I'm tired of these many individual projects that go nowhere. None of them have finished. I'll just clarify that I define "finished" as this: the game is essentially done; the game has a widespread following; the only updates are repair patches and minor improvements.
Lol I didn't read through this thread at all, save the first page where I saw instant GM-flaming =P

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I guess we just become frustrated at such misdirected talent. It's not that we believe it cannot be done. History just shows that going it alone (or in tiny groups) causes it to collapse.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
And don't forget to flap your arms.

I mean consider me >.>

As a rival.

Cus you should.

Maybe.

Okay bye.

Also, what does "Well the graphicw sill be better meaning the sprites are better and it is not like Super Smash Flash, because it has better graphic looking sprites." mean.
This is awful grammar, sentence structure and everything inbetween, and sounds like you're blatantly slating another game. (Eddy <Hoeloe> did that, not me, kids).
If the "better sprites" that you "found" are on the internet, then it means they aren't made by you,
and you're going to be using them without permission.

Good luck, but imo, Game Maker has much less freedom (and I can't play them on my comp) than flash,
It's pretty much harder to do generally everything in it. Have you thought about how you'll be
doing percentages? How about the win screen?

Okay bye.

Good luck though.
It worked for us in Super Smash Bros. Crusade. Yeah, I'm working on a fan game, too in Game Maker. I have a thread about it. You should check it out if you haven't yet.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
It worked for us in Super Smash Bros. Crusade. Yeah, I'm working on a fan game, too in Game Maker. I have a thread about it. You should check it out if you haven't yet.
Dude I know your game, you should be thanking me.
I actually answer questions on your behalf in your thread, if you haven't already noticed XD

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Y'all should still consider merging projects. >_>

Lamdin

Smash Rookie
NNID
quinsir1
Godzilla 10K should be about 21-22 years old now. I wonder if he still remembers this project.

Top Bottom