• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem is, that's the only real difference between the two. Koopa Kid actually has a different body shape than Bowser Jr..
Just treat it as a reference to Baby Bowser. Much like how Peach's Daisy costume is quite clearly not her. Another idea is to give Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings 2 costumes each. Maybe do a Dry Bones style akin to Dry Bowser?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just treat it as a reference to Baby Bowser. Much like how Peach's Daisy costume is quite clearly not her. Another idea is to give Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings 2 costumes each. Maybe do a Dry Bones style akin to Dry Bowser?
Another option could be to give every character 8 palettes, but that would add up to 64 color slots for Bowser Jr., which is quite ridiculous.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Another option could be to give every character 8 palettes, but that would add up to 64 color slots for Bowser Jr., which is quite ridiculous.
I'd say 2 per is better. Or no more than 4. The issue with 8 unique alts is that it's hard to handle. I imagine this is why a lot of characters didn't get 16 besides Little Mac. Not counting 3rd parties who are only allowed so many color changes depending upon the company. That's why Pac-Man and Sonic's are mostly trash. It's why Cloud doesn't have really good color changes. MegaMan, Ryu, and Bayonetta have fairly decent or really good ones, but that's it. Even a select few regular characters like Ganondorf don't have really heavy changes bar his hair sometimes. I imagine that palette changes heavily depends upon who owns the copyright of the character, which does include 1st and 2nd party characters. Movesets are generally given more freedom to work with. I do find it weird that with Namco-Bandai there, that Pac-Man had such bad costumes, but I do get their point. He's an iconic yellow ball with arms and legs. Gotta have the yellow. Ms. Pac-Man not being there is odd, but that could be a conscious decision of not having two forms. All the female alts are given half the costumes, so that could be an argument to keep Ms. Pac-Man out(oddly enough, I never thought about the whole gender ratio for alts till now when talking about Pac-Man's costume choices).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some people may not like the Koopalings though, which is why I wished that Bowser Jr. had 8 different palettes of himself.

As for Robin, I'll never understand why both genders can't have the same colorations, but I guess one reason is to avoid potential confusion during a match. The same could also be said for Corrin, but the female version does have longer hair than the male version.

Copyright issues may explain why some characters got the cold shoulder with their palette amounts, but at the same time, it can be a disappointment when talking about 8-player Smash.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Bowser J. should have had 11-12 Costumes:
His Normal one, Team colors (Mini Bowsers), and maybe one more to have an even number
The 7 Koopaling alts.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Anyway, in terms of Bowser Jr.'s palettes, the image below is an example that could always be referenced.

BowserJrKoopalings.png

Basically, there would 8 Bowser Jr. palettes, and the seven Koopalings would be used for the extra slots. This means that for an 8-player Smash, you would have the option to do an all Bowser Jr. bout, or have one Bowser Jr. of any palette, and seven Koopalings fighting.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Anyway, in terms of Bowser Jr.'s palettes, the image below is an example that could always be referenced.

View attachment 121495

Basically, there would 8 Bowser Jr. palettes, and the seven Koopalings would be used for the extra slots. This means that for an 8-player Smash, you would have the option to do an all Bowser Jr. bout, or have one Bowser Jr. of any palette, and seven Koopalings fighting.
I could see removing the hair piece working for the final costume, but not a good coloring. Although a Mecha-Koopa would still be the funniest reference that could be made, if only cause robotic counterparts have driven aerial vehicles in games(Mecha Sonic in Sonic & Knuckles does this, and there's some argument if Eggman may be a robot in some adaptions, separate and made by Robotnik). Only issue is clearly the body type, but there's no reason they can't change his proportions to be essentially a robo-Bowser Jr. Heck, just make it a fun OC like Giga Bowser is, and you got a perfect last costume. I mean, there's more than one way to do it. The reason for the robot form is to help separate it from any other form, since it'd be very distinct. Just having the coloring match the Mecha Koopas would work. It also would help when a Metal Cap is put on, which already made a few characters not super easy to tell apart(albeit, they weren't till Smash 4 which bothered to actually give them a shade of color, but no character shared a near identical body clone-wise until 4 as well. I'm pretty sure Dark Pit forced the new Metal design, although I don't think it's the main reason it is there, as you could also have an aura around you representing your team. But if it was an ideal concept and wasn't going to be used, Dark Pit is the reason it had to be used no matter what. It'd be neat if Sakurai mentioned the reason for the metal changes).

Graizen

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So we're definitely getting new characters if this is to be belived? Nice! If they're exclusive to Switch, I'm betting one is the Ice Climbers. I'd also put money on a Splatoon rep.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I think that may just be wishful thinking.
Well some people are talking about it. I saw some people say that Namco Bandai and Nintendo are hiding something.
And some time ago Namco Bandai UK was provoking Pokémon Sun and Moon on twitter saiyng that Digimon Dawn and Dusk came before.
I don't know what to think but... Im sorry , i just have hopes and dreams man.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's probably just more information on the new anime and such. I want Agumon as well, but unfortunately, I don't see him high on the totem pole at the moment. Not that Digimon is low-profile by design, as it's a major series, but since we're talking about a Switch port at the moment, that would mean that characters should be fairly easy to work with. What new mechanic would he bring? Digivolution is basically full transformations. It's not that the Switch cannot handle that, as I'm sure the Wii U version could've too. It's that it would take a lot of work and is something to bring to a newer game since that'll probably require a lot more than normal to balance out right.

There's also many choices other than Agumon. Namely notable members of the Greymon-related line as is could work. Or his attacks could reference his tons of digivolutions(think akin to Corrin's attacks, but think of it more like using an aura of one's other forms for the animation. This is actually something that can somewhat happen by releasing one's hidden power of a higher form. It was not shown off much, but we saw RizeGreymon do this, essentially showing off a snippet of the power of ShineGreymon).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Frankly, any Digimon representation may have to wait. Digivolving during battle may be an interesting concept, but to keep everyone balanced in the world of Smash Bros. can be a tough task to do. I guess one idea could work as follows...

You'd start the match as Agumon. Unique to Agumon is a Digivolution meter, where whenever it's full, Agumon can Digivolve. To build up the Digivolution meter, Agumon has to deal damage to his opponents, but the meter will decrease if he takes damage. When the meter is full, Agumon can Digivolve into Greymon. And if you repeat the process as Greymon, he can Digivolve into WarGreymon. However, taking too much damage or getting KO'd can cause Greymon to revert back to Agumon, and WarGreymon back to Greymon.

Agumon would be the quickest of the three, but his attacks are not all that strong, and is rather easy to send flying. Greymon would be the balanced form, sacrificing some mobility to increase his attack power and weight. WarGreymon would be the strongest and heaviest of the three, but his attack speed is on the slow side.

If the Smash Ball is acquired, Agumon or Greymon would instantly Digivolve into WarGreymon, and then perform Ultra Tornado. If the player is already WarGreymon before acquiring the Smash Ball, then he'll simply perform Ultra Tornado instead of Digivolving. However, using the Final Smash will cause WarGreymon to revert back to Agumon, due to its sheer power requiring a lot of energy to use.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I am back with more feasible ideas for Smash Switch. I think the stages should have a slightly different appearance sort of how the battlefields in Tekken 5 have revamped appearances in Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection. For example, Battlefield would be set in the nighttime or Final Destination flies through a night sky and transitions into a color-cycling rainbow background.

Customizations should be handled a bit differently. Instead of finding them like CDs and trophies, you can purchase special moves/Mii hats/outfits with gold one receives from playing the game. They made a Trophy Shop, why not make a Customize Shop?

It would certainly be a great idea to remove the Pokeball Pokemon and Assist Trophies that do no damage at all. Such assistants cause disappointment. Well, Isabelle can stay but her fruit throwing should harm opponents who try to steal it.

With a couple new faces to join the fray, I'd love to see a Tekken fighter. Now, Heihachi was contemplated for Smash 4, correct? This would be a good time to get him in there. But if they can't manage that, I think Asuka Kazama would be perfect. Her penchant for fighting would make sense for her to get a piece of the action.

Lastly, considering the improvements to artificial intelligence, the developers need to program a level 10 for CPUs. Most players do not find LV. 9s a challenge, but LV. 10 will be nastier than the Fighting :4mii:s in Cruel Smash...:chuckle:

I may have more ideas later....

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Shield-grabbing should never be a thing for the easiest CPU difficulty levels. I remember how in Melee, the easiest CPUs never attempt to grab anyone, but they do start to perform grab attempts at level 5 and above.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
You know what? Let me renege on Mii Fighter aspect of the customization idea I had earlier. They should remove the Mii Fighters, hats, and outfits from the game altogether. I say this 'cause most players don't think much of them. Besides, the mystery newcomers are the thing we're looking forward to. To make up for this, the Alloys and Wireframes can take their place in Multi Man Smash.

Wouldn't it be nice if Target Smash from Brawl would return? This time around, there should be a multiplayer mode where y'all compete for the fastest time. Or Target Blast should have a fourth stage where it looks like a labyrinth containing 30 red targets. The least the developers can do is give us 12 seconds in Home-Run Contest as opposed to 10.

*sigh* Anyways, that's all I have for now. Let's pray the rumors are true...

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Here is an idea I just thought of.

What if a 'Star KOs/Screen KOs' option were to be added in the menu for the possible port (director's cut version) of this game but with each type to choose?

These are the options what I'm thinking of:
- Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off
- Star KOs/Screen KOs (on-stage only)
- Star KOs only (on-stage only)
- Screen KOs only (on-stage only)
- Star KOs/Screen KOs (except last stocks)
- Star KOs only (except last stocks)
- Screen KOs only (except last stocks)
- Random

If these options can be put in the game, that would be wonderful. Otherwise, the only logical thing to do is to have Star KOs/Screen KOs occur for on-stage moves and upward Blast KOs occur for off-stage moves.

Yes, I'm thinking of certain others (including myself) that may want to intentionally get Star KOs/Screen KOs only, as well as intentionally end the match with either of those KOs.

I would say 'have a stock taken away the instant the Star KO/Screen KO animation begins', but I don't think that's possible to put that in the game. Someone actually tried to mod it. I'd love to be wrong and see that happen, though.

----------

Now, the Rage mechanic...

What if a 'Rage' option were to be added in the menu for the possible port (director's cut version) of this game but with each type to choose?

These are the options I'm thinking of:
- Rage on or off
- #0. Extremely low Rage (100% damage to 150% damage)
- #1. Very low Rage (90% damage to 150% damage)
- #2. Low Rage (80% damage) to 150% damage)
- #3. Fairly low Rage (70% damage to 150% damage)
- #4. Slightly low Rage (60% damage to 150% damage)
- #5. Medium Rage (50% damage to 150% damage)
- #6. Slightly high Rage (40% damage to 150 damage)
- #7. Fairly high Rage (30% damage to 150% damage)
- #8. High Rage (20% damage to 150% damage)
- #9. Very high Rage (10% damage to 150% damage)
- #10. Extremely high Rage (0% damage to 150% damage)

If the Rage mechanic is to be there, it should be a factor on Training Mode.

Yes, I added the option to turn the Rage on or off because some people were complaining about the Rage mechanic. Rage often KO'd their characters at very low percentages.

If these options I'm thinking of aren't going to be put in the game and the Rage mechanic isn't going to be removed, then the way I see it, the Rage mechanic should be in play when the character is at 100% damage up to 150% damage. It isn't very likely, though.

Oh, and random untechable spin animation needs to go.

Last edited:

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
Here is an idea I just thought of.

What if a 'Star KOs/Screen KOs' option were to be added in the menu for the possible port (director's cut version) of this game but with each type to choose?

These are the options what I'm thinking of:
- Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off
- Star KOs/Screen KOs (on-stage only)
- Star KOs only (on-stage only)
- Screen KOs only (on-stage only)
- Star KOs/Screen KOs (except last stocks)
- Star KOs only (except last stocks)
- Screen KOs only (except last stocks)
- Random

If these options can be put in the game, that would be wonderful. Otherwise, the only logical thing to do is to have Star KOs/Screen KOs occur for on-stage moves and upward Blast KOs occur for off-stage moves.

Yes, I'm thinking of certain others (including myself) that may want to intentionally get Star KOs/Screen KOs only, as well as intentionally end the match with either of those KOs.

I would say 'have a stock taken away the instant the Star KO/Screen KO animation begins', but I don't think that's possible to put that in the game. Someone actually tried to mod it. I'd love to be wrong and see that happen, though.

----------

Now, the Rage mechanic...

What if a 'Rage' option were to be added in the menu for the possible port (director's cut version) of this game but with each type to choose?

These are the options I'm thinking of:
- Rage on or off
- #0. Extremely low Rage (100% damage to 150% damage)
- #1. Very low Rage (90% damage to 150% damage)
- #2. Low Rage (80% damage) to 150% damage)
- #3. Fairly low Rage (70% damage to 150% damage)
- #4. Slightly low Rage (60% damage to 150% damage)
- #5. Medium Rage (50% damage to 150% damage)
- #6. Slightly high Rage (40% damage to 150 damage)
- #7. Fairly high Rage (30% damage to 150% damage)
- #8. High Rage (20% damage to 150% damage)
- #9. Very high Rage (10% damage to 150% damage)
- #10. Extremely high Rage (0% damage to 150% damage)

If the Rage mechanic is to be there, it should be a factor on Training Mode.

Yes, I added the option to turn the Rage on or off because some people were complaining about the Rage mechanic. Rage often KO'd their characters at very low percentages.

If these options I'm thinking of aren't going to be put in the game and the Rage mechanic isn't going to be removed, then the way I see it, the Rage mechanic should be in play when the character is at 100% damage up to 150% damage. It isn't very likely, though.
interesting ideas.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
As far as my opinions go about the Switch iteration of Smash, I don't care who gets in and who doesn't as long as my boy Yoshi comes back. I know we all know he will be back, but still.....

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
As far as my opinions go about the Switch iteration of Smash, I don't care who gets in and who doesn't as long as my boy Yoshi comes back. I know we all know he will be back, but still.....
It was already ridiculous that people actually entertained the thoughts about Yoshi being "gone" during Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U speculation era because they didn't get any confirmation on Yoshi for awhile.

I don't really think anyone would get cut for Switch unless they experienced some kind of license difficulties

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't really think anyone would get cut for Switch unless they experienced some kind of license difficulties
Most characters are Nintendo's property alone. However, those who are owned by other companies, such as HAL Laboratory (Kirby), GAME FREAK (Pokemon), INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS (Fire Emblem), and Monolith Soft (Xenoblade Chronicles), may require more effort to gain the rights to use.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I pray for Gamecube controller compatibility with the Switch port. I do believe it is the only way to play Smash... for me, at least.

If they do bring back Smash Tour, let it be much more similar to Mario Party. One-by-one, players take turns moving around the board and then a battle begins. It could be 1-on-3, 2-on-2, or a free-for-all based on where players stop. There can also be 1-on-1 battles that are pretty much your average For Glory match. Battle games may be composed of a single round of Target Blast, Target Smash, or Home-Run Contest.

If they won't bring a Tekken character in this game, make a few stages from that series. Sakura Schoolyard or Heavenly Garden/Fallen Garden would be elegant additions as Smash stages. But these would be identical to Battlefield or Final Destination concerning stage layout.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I pray for Gamecube controller compatibility with the Switch port. I do believe it is the only way to play Smash... for me, at least.
I'm willing to adapt to Classic Controllers, myself.

What would you people say to air throws? Grab a/the foe in the air and toss/throw them wherever.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It was already ridiculous that people actually entertained the thoughts about Yoshi being "gone" during Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U speculation era because they didn't get any confirmation on Yoshi for awhile.
What makes it even more ridiculous is that Sakurai also revealed Yoshi pretty late in the Brawl speculation.

I really wish Sakurai's heir doesn't continue that. We all know Yoshi will always be in Smash. He's been in Smash since the very beginning, so why keep it a secret for that long?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What makes it even more ridiculous is that Sakurai also revealed Yoshi pretty late in the Brawl speculation.

I really wish Sakurai's heir doesn't continue that. We all know Yoshi will always be in Smash. He's been in Smash since the very beginning, so why keep it a secret for that long?
That has often been something that has bugged me too. If this is a reference to how Yoshi ends up playing second fiddle a lot or gets absolutely no screen time in a mainstream Super Mario title, no one is laughing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think its any of those reasons.

I think it's just coincidence...

D

Deleted member

Frankly, any Digimon representation may have to wait. Digivolving during battle may be an interesting concept, but to keep everyone balanced in the world of Smash Bros. can be a tough task to do. I guess one idea could work as follows...

You'd start the match as Agumon. Unique to Agumon is a Digivolution meter, where whenever it's full, Agumon can Digivolve. To build up the Digivolution meter, Agumon has to deal damage to his opponents, but the meter will decrease if he takes damage. When the meter is full, Agumon can Digivolve into Greymon. And if you repeat the process as Greymon, he can Digivolve into WarGreymon. However, taking too much damage or getting KO'd can cause Greymon to revert back to Agumon, and WarGreymon back to Greymon.

Agumon would be the quickest of the three, but his attacks are not all that strong, and is rather easy to send flying. Greymon would be the balanced form, sacrificing some mobility to increase his attack power and weight. WarGreymon would be the strongest and heaviest of the three, but his attack speed is on the slow side.

If the Smash Ball is acquired, Agumon or Greymon would instantly Digivolve into WarGreymon, and then perform Ultra Tornado. If the player is already WarGreymon before acquiring the Smash Ball, then he'll simply perform Ultra Tornado instead of Digivolving. However, using the Final Smash will cause WarGreymon to revert back to Agumon, due to its sheer power requiring a lot of energy to use.
Someone's played Rumble Arena 2, I see.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's probably Sakurai having fun with his reveals. He revealed Zero Suit Samus in a fairly silly manner. I doubt it had anything to do with Yoshi being a subset of the Mario series.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Someone's played Rumble Arena 2, I see.
Yeah that's the best possible source that I could use for a potential Digimon representative. And I actually have played that game as well, since it has some similarities to the Super Smash Bros. titles. However, unlike with Smash Bros., projectile attacks always have higher priority than direct attacks, and there's a stamina system instead of a damage system as well.

D

Deleted member

Yeah that's the best possible source that I could use for a potential Digimon representative. And I actually have played that game as well, since it has some similarities to the Super Smash Bros. titles. However, unlike with Smash Bros., projectile attacks always have higher priority than direct attacks, and there's a stamina system instead of a damage system as well.
I know about Rumble Arena 2.
I've played it quite a bit with friends.

The idea of the Digivolution meter, a De-Digivolution happening from a KO, and the Ultra Tornado instantly reminded me of it. :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly I suspect Yoshi was revealed late either because there were originally more changes made to him that ultimately got scrapped, or he was going to be tied to something scheduling-wise that fell through. I don't have any proof of this whatsoever, it's just a guess, but I think they way he was revealed was strange, tacked-on, and kind of counterintuitive.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
My hopes and dreams that Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch can be announced in the E3 2017.
Please...

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So, how likely do you all think it is that we'll see something from a Smash game and/or port on the Switch in the next week's Switch presentation? I think there's a pretty decent shot we'll see it if there's anything planned for release somewhat close to the Switch's launch, and I'd be willing to bet that there is.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I doubt they are going to show much of Smash Switch, cause it's in it's earliest stages of development. IF it's even in development. I think they could mentoin it, like they did with Smash 4. Like name a few titles that could get ported from Wii U to Switch, and that Smash is gonna be a title that will receive such treatment.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I doubt Smash Switch will be shown next week. Maybe E3 2017 or even E3 2018.

I just hope that Smash Switch adds many new interesting fighters, popular and unexpected alike.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I just hope that the meta will continue to stay balanced and grow when Smash Switch is released. That is the main thing I want to see. Also, if a gamecube controller adapter happens for the system, that'd be great.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We will probably get news on a possible port, updated or not.

A real Smash 5 will take some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom