• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I does depend if the port has contents that are not in the 3DS and Wii U versions.
Well I mean, if it had nothing new, there'd be almost no incentive to buy it, especially for people who owned the Wii U version.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
You know what would be interesting? Adding a Smash Gauge for the Final Smashes. Let's face it, Final Smashes are NEVER used in competitive play (which is very sad) because the Smash Ball is required to perform them. Smash Ball is an item, and items are not allowed in competitive play. Plus, it distracts players playing competitively, unless it's casual.

Here are the links to where I got the idea from:
http://smashbrosbattleroyale.wikia.com/wiki/Smash_Gauge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Te5HIcvVA

Of course, if that feature were to be added, there should be an option to turn it on or off. Same with the Smash Ball (for casuals).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm also sure Sakurai wouldn't be needed for a port, but he seems like the type who'd still want to involve himself, especially if there's new content.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This an idea I have for a hypothetical Smash Switch as well as any game that's ported from the Wii U era to the Switch era

Basically, I think it's smart for Nintendo to allow people to port thier games over to the Switch manually without repurchasing a Switch version. All the data is intact and it's free. However, people can choose to purchase a Switch "remodel" or a retail/digital version which adds more content. So like for $10-15 more you get more content.

For example:
Xenoblade X: adds several lengthy side-missions
Pokken: adds three additional characters plus the ones released for the arcade version
Hyrule Warriors: several new characters or BotW content.
Mario Kart 8: a few new racers and tracks.
Mario Maker: new content

And Smash 4: 2-4 new characters and maybe a few stages plus trophies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Even though it hasn't been shown at the presentation, I still think that there is a possibility they could show at E3 (which would be my guess.)
That's what I'm thinking. That, and Pokémon Stars, make a lot of sense as E3 announcements.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If a Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch does end up being in development, I will say that the challenges need to be toned down with the difficulty. Smash 3DS did alright, but Smash Wii U went way overboard with the hard challenges.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If a Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch does end up being in development, I will say that the challenges need to be toned down with the difficulty. Smash 3DS did alright, but Smash Wii U went way overboard with the hard challenges.
I still think getting Diskun has been the most difficult achievement in the history of Smash, barring some of those messages you get for playing an ungodly amount of matches and what have you.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
That's what I'm thinking. That, and Pokémon Stars, make a lot of sense as E3 announcements.
Yet I wonder if that isn't too late to build as much hype as they would want. If the rumors are accurate, this thing'll be out around September at the latest. Why wait to reveal one of your system sellers until its release date is no more than three months away? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 were at least teased back in October!

Could we be getting a Direct before E3, and sooner than we might think?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Could we be getting a Direct before E3, and sooner than we might think?
Maybe.

5 moths is a long time.

Then again, I still don't think we'd get Pokemon Stars less than a year after Sun and Moon.

They probably just started production.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The earliest I see getting Stars is Oct, and the earliest I see Smash is August. I don't expect to hear from either until E3. Dunno what rumors are pegging Stars as September at the latest.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I still think getting Diskun has been the most difficult achievement in the history of Smash, barring some of those messages you get for playing an ungodly amount of matches and what have you.
All that I know is that for a challenge such as playing Smash for 50 hours, that will be completed eventually if you play that game mode a lot. I'll take grinding challenges over absurdly hard challenges any day.

Besides, if you're required to complete Classic on intensity 9.0, don't add insult to injury by making you have to do it without losing any lives, without customizations, and completing it solo as Marth within 12 minutes; just completing intensity 9.0 is hard enough as it is.

Heck, Smash 3DS even allows you to Golden Hammer any of the harder All-Star mode challenges, but you can't Golden Hammer your way out of the true All-Star mode on Hard difficulty in Smash Wii U.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Diskun is hard to get. You have to get all the bonuses. I got all of them except the one where I have to throw a hammer.

I would take that over challenges in SSB4. It just isn't fun anymore.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Guess who was terribly, utterly, and absolutely wrong?
Some idiot called Zero Soul said:
So, how likely do you all think it is that we'll see something from a Smash game and/or port on the Switch in the next week's Switch presentation? I think there's a pretty decent shot we'll see it if there's anything planned for release somewhat close to the Switch's launch, and I'd be willing to bet that there is.
Lol, this idiot. Look at this dummy go, he actually thought we'd see Smash at the presentation, what a scrub.

Although, on the other hand, we may have just learned something... Make of it what you will.

Edit: It's not a credible source, I'm sorry.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if Liam Robertson was wrong about a lot things and rather arrogant about it, I do believe that if there is an enhanced port of Smash 4 for Switch that he would be right about there not being a Miiverse stage.

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2017/01/no-miiverse-or-streetpass-on-nintendo-switch/

That being said, I personally am starting to question if there is going to be an enhanced port ala Mario Kart 8 or if we're just going to get Smash 5 later down the line.
The only thing that keeps me from completely going against the possibility of a port is that we still haven't gotten official word about Cloud's, Corrin's, and Bayonetta's amiibo release.

Though at the same time......do we even know if the Switch has amiibo functionality yet.....? (Sorry if we already know the answer; I may be out of the loop on some things.)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Even if Liam Robertson was wrong about a lot things and rather arrogant about it, I do believe that if there is an enhanced port of Smash 4 for Switch that he would be right about there not being a Miiverse stage.

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2017/01/no-miiverse-or-streetpass-on-nintendo-switch/

That being said, I personally am starting to question if there is going to be an enhanced port ala Mario Kart 8 or if we're just going to get Smash 5 later down the line.
The only thing that keeps me from completely going against the possibility of a port is that we still haven't gotten official word about Cloud's, Corrin's, and Bayonetta's amiibo release.

Though at the same time......do we even know if the Switch has amiibo functionality yet.....? (Sorry if we already know the answer; I may be out of the loop on some things.)
Yeah, the Switch does have amiibo functionality. One of the joycon's has an NFC reader built in.

D

Deleted member

Guess who was terribly, utterly, and absolutely wrong?

Lol, this idiot. Look at this dummy go, he actually thought we'd see Smash at the presentation, what a scrub.

Although, on the other hand, we may have just learned something... Make of it what you will.
one of the comments said:
They also added placeholder pages for other rumoured games including AC: Egypt, Super Mario Frost Land, the Mario Rabbids crossover and even a Pikmin game I believe. It's not a confirmation by any means, they just prepared these pages based on all the stuff before the presentation took place.
Should be taken with huge grain of salt.

Yeah, the Switch does have amiibo functionality. One of the joycon's has an NFC reader built in.
Ah. K.

Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

As mentioned above, they showed off the Archer Link amiibo in the presentation to show the Joy Cons have an NFC reader built in. :p

But yeah, I agree about the Miiverse stage, especially now that Miiverse is apparently totally gone. Honestly the lack of Clourrinetta amiibo is the thing reaffirming Smash 4 Switch for me. That and I just really hope for an enhanced port because it decreases the chance of Decidueye or a Gen VII Pokémon in general getting skipped over. I want my archer owl. :laugh:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'll give it until E3 to see if there really will be a Switch port of Smash 4.

Otherwise I'll probably just assume that either a new entry entirely is in the works or Sakurai is working on a different project for now and Smash 5 (or 6 if you count the 3DS and Wii U version as separate entries) will come a bit later down the line....

It is a bit odd that the amiibo of Corrin, Cloud and Bayonetta is taking this long to come out though. I know that it was stated that they are trying to make sure that Bayonetta's amiibo will turn out as good as possible but still...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think I would be content with Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch if it includes:

PLAYABLE CHARACTERS
- all playable characters from SSB4, including the DLC fighters
- all the cut veterans from Melee and Brawl :pichumelee::younglinkmelee::snake::wolf::popo::ivysaur::squirtle:
- a few more newcomers such as Alph (semi-clone of Olimar), Inklings, and Simon Belmont

STAGES
- all the stages from SSB4 Wii U and SSB4 3DS, including the DLC stages
- all the cut stages from Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl
- a few more new stages (a Splatoon stage maybe?)

NON-PLAYABLE CHARACTERS
- all the Assist Trophies from SSB4
- all the cut Assist Trophies from Brawl, including Little Mac (appears when he's not in the match)
- a few more new Assist Trophies such as Spring Man from Arms
- all the Pokemon from SSB4
- all the Pokemon from Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl, including Charizard (appears when he's not in the match)
- a few more new Pokemon from Sun & Moon, including Alolan Meowth (based on Smash 64 Meowth)

COSTUMES
- all the recolors from SSB4
- all the cut recolors from Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl
- all the Mii costumes from SSB4, including the DLC costumes
- many more new Mii costumes (Chun Li costume, maybe?)

Oh, and being able to play Smash Run on TV.

Not saying it will happen... but it's nice to dream.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
All that I know is that for a challenge such as playing Smash for 50 hours, that will be completed eventually if you play that game mode a lot. I'll take grinding challenges over absurdly hard challenges any day.

Besides, if you're required to complete Classic on intensity 9.0, don't add insult to injury by making you have to do it without losing any lives, without customizations, and completing it solo as Marth within 12 minutes; just completing intensity 9.0 is hard enough as it is.

Heck, Smash 3DS even allows you to Golden Hammer any of the harder All-Star mode challenges, but you can't Golden Hammer your way out of the true All-Star mode on Hard difficulty in Smash Wii U.
I suppose. Six of one for me really. The thing is I've never really had a challenge I knew I couldn't eventually overcome, so while it might get frustrating upon repeated losses, it's still more interesting imo than the boredom of needless grinding. Like with Brawl, it took me an additional two years to collect all the stickers past accomplishing any difficulty-based challenges.

I agree some of the Wii U challenges seem fairly daunting at first glance, but tbh I had little trouble with the two-life 9.0 one once I implemented equipment. Particularly the ones that heal you. And I guess I was lucky in the regard that Marth was my main prior to Cloud. Meanwhile collecting all the custom moves and outfits took me a super unnecessary amount of time and grinding. To each their own though, I can totally understand the exasperation.

Diskun is hard to get. You have to get all the bonuses. I got all of them except the one where I have to throw a hammer.

I would take that over challenges in SSB4. It just isn't fun anymore.
Mmm, maybe my perspective is just off because I was a lot younger back then. Perhaps it seemed harder than it really was. Maybe part of it was just going down the entire list of bonuses to see which I was missing. Then again things like No Damage Clear were no cakewalk.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I suppose. Six of one for me really. The thing is I've never really had a challenge I knew I couldn't eventually overcome, so while it might get frustrating upon repeated losses, it's still more interesting imo than the boredom of needless grinding. Like with Brawl, it took me an additional two years to collect all the stickers past accomplishing any difficulty-based challenges.

I agree some of the Wii U challenges seem fairly daunting at first glance, but tbh I had little trouble with the two-life 9.0 one once I implemented equipment. Particularly the ones that heal you. And I guess I was lucky in the regard that Marth was my main prior to Cloud. Meanwhile collecting all the custom moves and outfits took me a super unnecessary amount of time and grinding. To each their own though, I can totally understand the exasperation.
The main thing to keep in mind is that the grinding challenges are not so much hard as they are time-consuming. They will eventually be completed as time passes, and I find the grinding challenges to be far more tolerable than having to complete an extremely hard difficulty level in a game mode. Smash 3DS had the right idea with the difficulty of its challenges (most of them can easily be completed without using any Golden Hammers), but Smash Wii U went way overboard with the difficulty of its harder challenges.

D

Deleted member

I think we might see it at E3 hard to tell at this point but seems like a safe bet.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
As far as Stages go for Smash Switch, I hope we get at least Primordia and Inkopolis, but I'd also like to see Fourside return.

If not Fourside, at least bring back its music from Melee. It's been missing in action for too long.

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
Honestly, i would be mad if it was just a port.
I think it needs at least 5 new charcters because a port would probably mean we would have to wait another console generation to get new stuff.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So, today, while talking about the Switch, Reggie said this: "And so our overall proposition will not look the same as our competitors. But what we will do, is we will recognize what consumers like about our competitors, we will look to do it in a way that has a Nintendo flair to it. And we will look to make sure that in the end, we’ve got this robust, online environment that not only works well for our games, like Splatoon and Mario Kart and Smash Bros., but that also works great for our third party developers." Source

He could have said Smash Bros as a slip up, and/or referring to the Wii U game (maybe there's backwards-compatibly, somehow? Actually no, that sounds stupid) this in no way confirms it's existence, but given that it's coming from him and not some random leaker, I think this is pretty good evidence that there might be a potential Smash Switch in the works.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's possible that's he is acknowledging, like many already do (whether through leaks or... really just common sense) that Smash in some form for the Switch is a foregone conclusion. However, that's not usually how Nintendo plays it. They don't indulge in lending credence to even the most obvious conclusions until they are ready to officially confirm them.

He also could've been speaking more generally in the section in question, as in Nintendo has provided online environments for those series overall, not limited necessarily on any one specific platform.

Or, it could very well be a slip up. That'd be interesting considering Nintendo usually makes very few of them in interviews.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly.

I think Reggie knows that people are clamoring for info and made it deliberate.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly.

I think Reggie knows that people are clamoring for info and made it deliberate.
It's possible for sure. I feel like that would just open them up to a line of questioning they would refuse to give a straight answer on atm though. :/

At least we don't have to work ourselves up over this tidbit considering we're aware that it seems fairly likely we'll be hearing about Smash in the following months. Thank god this statement wasn't made in a vacuum.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If I'm being honest.

I think NoA knows they have potential issues at hand and are taking steps around it to improve situations. They just have to work around NoJ.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If I'm being honest.

I think NoA knows they have potential issues at hand and are taking steps around it to improve situations. They just have to work around NoJ.
Well the whole company has issues. NoA has a lot of issues exclusive to them, NCL has a lot of issues they impose on the rest. Which are you referring to?

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Maybe.

5 moths is a long time.

Then again, I still don't think we'd get Pokemon Stars less than a year after Sun and Moon.

They probably just started production.
What's the difference between 'development' and 'production'?

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Oh okay. Seems weird to me how when games go gold, it is said that "production is ready to start". That's a bit confusing. Thank you.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh okay. Seems weird to me how when games go gold, it is said that "production is ready to start". That's a bit confusing. Thank you.
In that context they mean that they are ready to start the process of producing physical copies of the game.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Gotcha.

I -may- get a bit of hate for this, but I am most likely the only person wishing for SSB Switch not to come any time soon (as in not before 2019 at least). I love Smash Bros. solely for its paradise-of-Nintendo-lore aspect, and I think games such as ARMS, Mario Odyssey, Ever Oasis and the two Splatoon games hold great potential for various content like stages, trophies, music and even characters (playable or assists). Smash Bros Wii U launched in the middle of the console's lifespan and lacked content from more recent games (such as Xeno X, Splatoon, Kirby Triple Deluxe & Rainbow Curse...) Of course, there were Mii costumes, but wouldn't you agree that adding playable Inklings via DLC would have been infinitely cooler than a mere Mii outfit? And Super Mario Maker got a stage. Otherwise, most of the notorious DLC went into third-party series stuff and stages from past SSB games.

If things went my way and not that of the 'leakers' whose predictions for the January 12th presentation got retconned by a 4chan leak, meaning, if we got a brand new Smash game instead of a mere port, would you appreciate the new stages a bit more if they were more dynamic (particularly in the backgrounds like in Street Fighter and Marvel VS Capcom games for example), with less forced focus on the gimmicks and much more interaction/familiar Nintendo games elements sighting in the backgrounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom