• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
But one that could easily set people off. I've seen many threads on various sites turn into political fights because of comments like this.
I understand. But I've learned to pick up on cues and not take things so personally. I'm autistic, which means it's a LOT harder for me to lighten up than most people. But I manage

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Jokes are fine, just watch it on what you joke about.
Nah. There was nothing wrong with that joke and you know it. :)

Literally everyone here seems to think it was funny, but two of you. :)

The joke wasn't even about her being gay. It was about how exhausting homophobia can be. :)

Soo......what's the problem again?

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
Nah. There was nothing wrong with that joke and you know it. :)

Literally everyone here seems to think it was funny, but two of you. :)

The joke wasn't even about her being gay. It was about how exhausting homophobia can be. :)

Soo......what's the problem again?
The way you worded was the problem, you might want to watch it with being smug like that sweetie.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I understand. But I've learned to pick up on cues and not take things so personally. I'm autistic, which means it's a LOT harder for me to lighten up than most people. But I manage
Believe me, I understand. I am also autistic, plus bipolar, turrets, and other various ailments. The problem is that some people do take things personally, and I don't want political arguments in my smash forums. Back to actual smash discussion though, how many newcomers are people expecting?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Made concepts of Dr. Kawashima and how he would be like in Smash Bros.:

This was a fun little project!
I feel like this could make for a unique and interesting boss considering he's basically a giant head, but I really like it regardless; good job.

Also, did you really just do what I think you did for the last one...?

>Implying my Lucina x Palutena ships aren't canon.
:4ganondorf:x:4palutena: and :4ryu:x "searching for the answer that lies in the heart of battle" are the most canon ships tho???

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Believe me, I understand. I am also autistic, plus bipolar, turrets, and other various ailments. The problem is that some people do take things personally, and I don't want political arguments in my smash forums. Back to actual smash discussion though, how many newcomers are people expecting?
2+ years in development.

I'm thinking at least 15. We might get as many as Smash 4 base roster, but I'm doubtful.

We'll see though. I could be way off.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think 10 characters, longer DLC schedule.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Late to the Capcom discussion but I'd love for Chun Li to get into Smash. But I'll always stand by my Power Stone characters just cause that was my introduction to Capcom. I was mainly playing other things before then.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If it helps?

I don't only want Tracer to watch the world burn.

I also happen to think she's a pretty neat character who has easy moveset potential.

Recall could be really really really really annoying in Smash Brothers though.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Anywhere between 12 and 15, I'm also confident in the whole 'no cuts' thing.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Back to actual smash discussion though, how many newcomers are people expecting?
It depends on whether returning veterans and (semi-)clones count as newcomers for me, honestly.

I expect Ice Climbers and Wolf to return. Snake could as well

I could see Dixie happen either as a unique character, a semi-clone, or as a part of a Diddy/Dixie tag team like was originally planned for Brawl.

I could see Impa being a clone of some sort, even if I'd rather she be unique.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Alph becomes a full on clone rather than a costume.

So, I'm expecting, like, 12ish entirely new characters, two or three returning veterans, and maybe some clones added to that. Then I expect at least six DLC characters.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
If it helps?

I don't only want Tracer to watch the world burn.

I also happen to think she's a pretty neat character who has easy moveset potential.

Recall could be really really really really annoying in Smash Brothers though.
For someone who hasn't played overwatch in like 100 years, does recall reverse damage received as well? Because holy **** that would he unique and probably unbalanced lol...actually recall probably wouldn't be able to work the way it does because of moving stages...good way to KO yourself lol.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
For what its worth, we had at least 17 (I think) newcomers in the base roster for Smash 4, so I think Smash Switch will have less that than that, but not by much. I'm thinking at least a total of 12 characters will be added, 10 of them being newcomers, leaving room for Wolf and Ice Climbers to come back.

I exclude Snake because I'd like to imagine it'd be a sign of respect on Sakurai's end because of what happened between Kojima and Konami.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think 10 characters, longer DLC schedule.
Assuming this really is a brand new game I'm gonna be so disappointed if they go down this route, this is sakurai tho so I don't see him doing this, he really loves to cram as much content in a game as possible and DLC with smash 4 was a complete afterthought.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
For someone who hasn't played overwatch in like 100 years, does recall reverse damage received as well? Because holy **** that would he unique and probably unbalanced lol...actually recall probably wouldn't be able to work the way it does because of moving stages...good way to KO yourself lol.
It does recall her health, yeah. So like if she had 100 percent damage, she could recall back a bit and maybe be at like 80 percent damage instead.

It'd be very....different.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As far as how many characters we get, I could see something going like this:

Smash gets revealed, shows off like 6 newcomers.

“The game will launch with all characters from Smash Bros. Wii U, as well as these six characters in October 2018.”

*Screen flashes

“HOWEVER, shortly after launch, we’ll be updating the game with 3 more newcomers.”

*Shows new characters

“This will come in a free update. Thank you for your patience!”

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

“The game will launch with all characters from Smash Bros. Wii U, as well as these six characters in October 2018.”

*Screen flashes

“HOWEVER, shortly after launch, we’ll be updating the game with 3 more newcomers.”

*Shows new characters

I highly doubt they'll be free, Nintendo would be dumb to not charge money for smash characters. It's not like with Arms and Splatoon which are new franchises, they know people will shell out money for newcomers and Smash 4 already did the paid dlc thing

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
If both Link and Ganondorf got completely revamped movesets (and maybe even Zelda to some extend, although I love her current gameplay despite being low tier) do you think this would "warrant" the Zelda series to not get any newcomers ?

From how I see it, Sakurai really seems to be fixated on the idea that all three technically being the only playable characters represent the series well enough (from the gameplay side, because obviously there's also assist trophies, stages, items and all that behind). On one side, It fits the idea of the triforce, and it's those kind of things that satisfies the whole "developer's philosophy" thing. On the other I feel like Zelda fans are really gonna lose their **** if once again there's no new characters from the franchise, so I'm not sure how to assert the current state of TLOZ in regards to smash bros.

What's your take on it ?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

*Screen flashes

*Shows new characters

But then you'll have the inevitable "why couldn't this be on disc day one?!?!?!" complaints despite it being free.

I'd be down for this, so long as the 6 on-disc is bumped up to 7 or 3 DLC up to 4.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
It does recall her health, yeah. So like if she had 100 percent damage, she could recall back a bit and maybe be at like 80 percent damage instead.

It'd be very....different.
At first this sounded pointless and kind of gross to me, but because of the positioning part, it could be interesting trying to time your movements so that you can use it to extend a combo. Finicky, but interesting.

The way you worded was the problem, you might want to watch it with being smug like that sweetie.
You might want to watch it with policing people. There are mods for a reason and I'm confident that they don't need your help.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm hiding from Ninten-jas in a broom closet, it I finally have a moment to leak my info.

First, what do we know about how characters are chosen?
1. Sakurai must see "potential".
2. They must be reasonably popular.
3. They usually are timely unless they're historical.

I'm here to tell you those "rules" are lies.

Within the spoiler tag is how Sakurai truly chooses characters. You may never see Smash the same again.

I want to get off Mr. Sakurai's wild ride.

Here's the real reason why Europe's most wanted character got in through the ballot.

Nintendo of Europe banned the Game Corner so it was the only way. :p

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There is going to be a lot more newcomers than some think and there is going to be cuts.
The thing is, you can't say any of that for sure.

We have no idea what the development of this game is, what the background information of the game is, or anything other than Inklings, Mario, and BOTW Link. We know nothing.

There's obviously a chance for cuts. However, how can someone say that for sure when the dev cycle started shortly after Wii U, takes place during the launch cycle of a new console and death of the previous, and is already close to complete?

Speaking in absolutes has a way of biting us. I would be cautious. The development timeline is different for this game than effectively any Smash game, save for arguably Melee.

I'd say wait and see before we determine if there are cuts or not. As of right now, there's no way of telling.

As I've said before, I think it's entirely possible this game started as a "port this to the new console as quickly as possible with added new things" and turned into a full fledged "let's make this game amazing" by preserving as many of the characters as possible (if not all) from Wii U, and updating those models and stages and what not to be more current.

I also think it's odd, in the case that Nintendo wouldn't attempt to broker the deal for a character like Cloud for a sequel they know is coming in the next few years. If you're going to acquire freaking Cloud, why wouldn't you make sure he was in the title that would be in the sights of far more fans rather than a one-off DLC for a dying console?

Also, if money is an issue, why even bother acquiring him in the first place? It's not like Nintendo is hurting for cash anyway.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I’m not going to exactly quantify what I expect as to not be disappointed. I just want to be satisfied with waiting 2-4 years after Smash 4 and paying $60 for a base game, maybe $20-40 extra for reasonable character DLC.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
For me, Smash doesn't' feel like it was that long ago, and DLC definitely wasn't, so it's gonna be like double the newcomers for me. I have faith in Sakurai that I will be more than happy with the newcomers we get.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Speaking of Burb, he doesn't visit here much, does he? :p
Burb Burb

Honey, where are you?!

The children have requested their father's presence.
My husbando gets on every now and then. He's just not talking about the speculation period this much.

Probably because there isn't much to talk about really.
Responding to old posts, but they're about me and I was tagged in one of them, so I don't think it should matter, but that aside.....

Yeah, I'm just not popping in very often because, having gone through a good three months with nothing but a short teaser trailer, there's not really much left to talk about. It's all mindless speculation, which can be fun, but I think I've said everything I want to say at this point. Multiple times.

On top of that, in the off-chance I do come here, the discussion is usually on stuff I'm not really interested in talking about (Fire Emblem Heroes), so I'm left with no real reason to continue showing up regularly.....

....for now, at least. After Nintendo's E3 Digital Event, you will be seeing me on a regular basis again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom