• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Boss Creation Thread

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I’m sorry I couldn’t post before, but I had exams going on, so I had to study/rest.
First of all I want to congratulate with THE SLOTH THE SLOTH , I loved his idea of Hoopa ever since I saw it. Perhaps it’s because Hoopa is in my top 3 mythical Pokémon, but it’s more likely that I liked it because it was a great design!
In the next days I’m going to post my boss for this round, though it might be a little... wild.

D

Deleted member

Reminder that Round 2 ends tomorrow.

............Yet we only have 2 suggestions so far. Does anyone need a time extension? I can give one if so.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I may need a time extension, please. I’m so sorry, but exams are gonna end soon! And I really don’t want to miss the Mario round (not because I have a really good idea, but because Mario platforms are my favorite games)!

D

Deleted member

All right then. For the time being I'll extend the round ending time to 11:00pm pacific on Sunday the 7th.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
232639D7-BAB6-4D61-A76B-7D7349F330F8.jpeg
Boss: Petey Piranha

Game of Origin: Super Mario Sunshine (2002)

What does this boss do?
-Cage Swing (from Brawl):
Petey attacks the player with a cage (13%) using either hand.
-Cage Trap (Original; he uses this to move around): Petey jumps around for a bit, feigning ignorance of his surroundings. When he catches a fighter before he stops jumping, he then breathes fire on them (27%) and slams the cages onto the ground (19%).
-Head Bash (from Super Mario Sunshine): Petey bashes his head in either direction (11%), leaving him vulnerable for a small window of time.
-Ground Pound (from New Super Mario Bros.): Petey puts his cages down and flaps his leaf hands and floats in the air for a few seconds. After being tired from floating so little distance into the air, he then slams onto the ground (14%) and grounds anyone who gets too close (28%).
-Nipper Buddies (from Super Princess Peach): Petey spits out four Nipper Plants that continuously nip and hop (4% per nip), but don’t cling to the player.
-Cage Keeper (from Super Mario Sunshine): Petey floats into the background and spits out two brown-white Gatekeeper Plants onto both sides of the arena that can be defeated in about two to three hits. They both send out Swoopin’ Stus to attack the player by charging into them (6%).
-Goop Shot (from Super Mario Sunshine): While the Gatekeepers are active, Petey himself cheers them on before he fires brown-white goop balls at the player (always 15%). These goop balls work as a variation of ink; damage dealt by the Swoopin Stus depends on how inked you are. that sounded disgusting I apologize
-Bomb Spit (Original; uses Bomb Plants from Super Mario Bros. 2): Petey puts his cages down and sucks in Bomb Plants in the background. He then flies towards the background and spits them out in random places one by one, some faster than others (11% black [faster ones]; 13% red ones).

After taking enough hits, Petey will tip over and struggle to get back up, leaving him vulnerable for a few seconds. This can happen more quickly by throwing certain objects into his mouth (which he spits out just as quickly) during the first part of Bomb Spit. Here’s what can go into his mouth during this part:

-Yoshi’s Eggs
-Stone Kirby (just a heads up; you’ll be spit out instead and take 9% damage)
-Peach and Daisy’s Turnips (but not the Bob-Ombs or anything of the like. You’re just giving him more ammo.)
-Dr. Mario’s Megavitamins
-Diddy Kong’s Peanuts
-King Dedede’s Gordos
-PAC-MAN’s Bonus Fruit
-Inkling’s Splat Bomb (but this only gives the Bomb Plants a pink-yellow goop upgrade, allowing them both to deal 20% damage with an ink effect.)
-Piranha Plant’s Ptooie
-Kazooie’s Eggs

Setting: A Piranha Plant-themed temple with several young Piranha Plant species blooming on the ruins. Petey floats to his cages in front of the temple, grabs them, and roars. The theme is: https://youtu.be/ybvt6onjkgk

Who fights this boss in Classic Mode?
:ultpeach: (Wants revenge after the Subspace Emissary)
:ultdaisy: (Both plant-themed)
:ultolimar: (Predatory plant monster)
:ultvillager: (“Was my garden always this messy?”)
:ultbowserjr: (“Mama Peach, is that you in that cage?”; plays Fortress Boss (Super Mario Bros. 3)) (faces Petey in Round 6, then faces :ultmario::ultpeach: in Round 7)
:ultcloud: (Being in a twirling cage will make him sick)
:ultbanjokazooie: (Giant humanoid Snarebear)

Where is this boss in World of Light
Petey resides in a new section of the Light Realm’s Power Plant sub-area covered in luscious plant life. This destroyed section of the Power Plant is a part 2 to it (get it? Power? Plant?) which plays Overworld (Super Mario Bros. 3) as you explore it.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
OK, so I finally can upload my idea! I'm so happy this time around: the boss I chose is from my favorite game of all times and his boss fight is my favorite boss fight ever.

Boss: Meowser
Game of origin: Super Mario 3D World
What does the boss do: Meowser is a very unique case among Smash Bros. bosses, as his entire boss-fight doesn't take place in a single spot in the arena, rather, in order to mimic 3D World's final boss, there's a middle section where you have to climb over the Great Tower of Bowser Land, really focusing on the "platform" aspect of Smash Bros. So, summing up:
  • A first section where you fight Meowser
  • A second platforming section where you cannot directly damage Meowser but he can still damage you (triggered when his HPs reach 50%)
  • A final section where you have to defeat Meowser.
Meowser has less HP than the average boss (about 2/3) for balancing issues: the second section prevents you from damaging him, but you can still be damaged! Finally, size-wise, Meowser is slightly smaller than Giga Bowser, but he's still a humongous target. However, he'd be much faster than Giga Bowser, truly giving you the feeling of a bad kitten.
Attacks
  • Fireball: Meowser's most basic attack: he will breathe a purple-ish fireball forward. Depending on the position of the player, Meowser may breathe one or more fireballs in different directions and the same fireballs may be angled. Each fireball deals around 8.6% damage with low knockback.
  • Fire Stream: Meowser breathes forward a powerful stream of purple-ish fire. The stream stays out for around 3/4 of a second so that most fighters can avoid it by simply jumping. Being caught by a Fire Stream is really dangerous: the full attack deals a whopping 19.9% damage and the finale launches the target away. The attack is somewhat predictable, as Meowser will take a couple of seconds to charge up the move.
  • Claw Scratch: a close quarters attack, where Meowser simply scratches with his huge claws. This attack is somewhat fast, deals solid damage (12.8%) and launches the target pretty far away. It's one of Meowser's overall best attack.
  • Claw Slide: an attack based on Cat Mario's: Meowser leans forward, claws first, covering the entire stage. This attack is one of Meowser's main means of moving, while also providing a powerful attack, with 17.3% damage and very high knockback scaling (although it has low base knockback). This attack can be predicted, as Bowser leans back before performing this move.
  • Meowser's Pounce: Meowser jumps in the air and dives diagonally forward, claws first. This attack too is an excellent mean of moving. It's even stronger than Claw Slide (20.0%) and can spike airborne targets.
  • Climb on stage: Meowser jumps on the foreground, falling off-stage only to re-appear a couple of seconds later, climbing on stage. He will then proceed to jump on-stage, dealing some damage (16.6%) and knockback.
  • Meowser's Jump: this attack is as simple as it sounds: Meowser jumps really high upwards only to crush on stage. This attack deals huge damage (27.1%) and very, very high knockback.
That's all for phase one.
When Meowser's HPs reach 50%, he will viciously roar, making the ground shake and making a Clear Warp Pipe appear. Then the player has to enter this Pipe and will be skyrocketed to the Great Tower of Bowser Land. This is a vertical 2D platforming section that makes heavy use of swings, moving and breakable platforms and stairs (in order to simulate 3D World's emphasis on verticality) where the player has to go up while avoiding Meowser's attacks. Sometimes, two or three Meowsers will appear on-screen at the same time. However, in this phase, Meowser has fewer attacks.
  • Fireball: Meowser may break the tower in the background and breath a single fireball (8.6% damage).
  • Claw Scratches: Meowser breaks the tower and scratches three times. Each scratch deals 4.2% damage.
  • Furious Climbing: Meowser climbs the tower, breaking every platform he comes in contact with and launching the player upwards. The move deals around 14.1% damage.
  • Meowser's fall: Meowser falls from upwards, mimicking one of his moves that in turn mimicked how Cat Mario had a limited amount of time where he could climb walls. While very predictable at first, this move is powerful (18.9% damage) and spikes opponents, while also breaking every platform.
Then we get to phase three.
Once the player reaches the top of the Great Tower of Bowser Land, they get to a Final Destination-like platform with another, smaller platform floating over the main one. This is the final section which will retain every attack in phase one (which deal around 5.0% more damage), with a couple more added.
  • Meowser's Quake: Meowser will slam both hands on the ground, creating a strong shockwave. This attack is pretty weak (8.3% damage) but launches away the target, especially if they're trying to recover.
  • Floor is Lava: Meowser breathes a barrage of strong fireballs that quickly fall on the ground (they've no hit-box). Once they've fallen, they will turn into lava puddles that will cover either the main or the floating platform. This lava puddles deal about 13.1% damage and will launch the player upwards.
  • Clone Launch: Meowser will take a Double Cherry, create a clone of himself, and launch him. This clone of Meowser flies very fast in a straight direction, curled up in his spiky shell. The attack deals 19.8% damage and launches the target at a semi-spike angle, making the move deadly. Despite this, it's somewhat predictable because it's pretty slow.
Boss Battle setting: as stated before, it's the Great Tower of Bowser Land. It begins with a Final Destination version at the bottom of the tower, then it has the vertical scrolling platform section. The final section has been described previously.
Fought by:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultrosalina: (3D World playable fighters, a pity Toad isn't playable)
:ultincineroar: (blazing cat, like Meowser)
:ultpichu: (tiny mouse against a huge cat)
:ultduckhunt: (cat and dog [and duck, but it doesn't matter])

Where it would be in World of Light: Dark Realm, a new section called (with a lot of fantasy) Great Tower.
Music: Fight against Meowser from 3D World. A remix featuring rock elements.

D

Deleted member

Reminder that Round 2 ends tomorrow at 11:00pm Pacific Time. Though I need some contestant input here.

Is the current schedule for when a round starts and ends too short? If more people would rather I make it a bit longer I can try doing that.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Didn't want to create a boss fight this time, but i might do it when Round 3 comes by.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Reminder that Round 2 ends tomorrow at 11:00pm Pacific Time. Though I need some contestant input here.

Is the current schedule for when a round starts and ends too short? If more people would rather I make it a bit longer I can try doing that.
Nah I like it. Though I mean, I came up with it so I'm biased. I feel like it keeps us on track and people who aren't interested in that particular round don't need to wait super long to get to the next one.

D

Deleted member

Alright guys Round 2 is now closed.

The schedule will remain the same, so Round 3 will be started tomorrow.

As for grades? Well as soon as me and Cosmic finish them, they will be posted.

Also, while he'll be sitting out grading for this round, starting Round 3 Good Guy Giygas Good Guy Giygas will be hopping on as the 3rd judge.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Alright guys Round 2 is now closed.

The schedule will remain the same, so Round 3 will be started tomorrow.

As for grades? Well as soon as me and Cosmic finish them, they will be posted.

Also, while he'll be sitting out grading for this round, starting Round 3 Good Guy Giygas Good Guy Giygas will be hopping on as the 3rd judge.
Thanks for reminding me! I will be in round 3 (What is it going to be? Legend of Zelda or some different)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks for reminding me! I will be in round 3 (What is it going to be? Legend of Zelda or some different)
The current leader in the Strawpoll is actually Square-Enix bosses. Unless something takes that lead by tomorrow morning, that's what it's going to be.

To leave a reminder of what that round is. It's a round where you can submit a boss from any game that's ever been made by Square-Enix. With the exception of licensed games. And anything submitted from Kingdom Hearts cannot have any Disney content.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Apologies I didn't submit anything this round, had some writer's block and ended up procrastinating a bit. I'll try and get something in next round. Although if Square bosses end up winning, then considering I know next to nothing about most Square games... oh boy, that'll be tricky.

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 3!

Winning the Strawpoll at 4 votes, Round 3 is..............

Square-Enix Bosses

First we got Cloud in Smash Bros., who still to this day has a lack of content from his series due to Square being stingy. And this Summer we'll get the Hero from Dragon Quest who will hopefully have a better batch of content from his series.

Square-Enix will have two characters on the roster soon enough, so let's celebrate by making some bosses from any game that Square has made. Or, more accurately, any game that's under Square's Ownership.

If it's a game that Square helped to develop but not an IP they own, like Super Mario RPG, then it's out of the running. Kingdom Hearts might be one of those as it could very well be owned by Disney (the original characters like Sora are so it might be more possible than you think) but if they are, the consider KH to be the exception to this rule.

However the rule of "nothing that didn't originate from Video Games" is still in effect for Smash Bros. as Sakurai confirmed shortly before Ultimate's release. And that rule will be probably always be in effect. So no licensed games, and if you make a boss from Kingdom Hearts, you can't include anything from Disney.

Other than Kingdom Hearts, some notable games from Square-Enix include:

Final Fantasy Series
Chrono Trigger
Mana Series
Nier Series (Yeah there actually was a Nier game released before Square took ownership of the IP with Nier Automata)
Bravely Series
Octopath Traveler
Tomb Raider Series
Gex Series (Remember him? That TV traveling Gecko that used to be the mascot for the Panasonic 3DO? Yeah. Somehow someway Square is the owner of that IP now.)

There's probably a few others that I can't remember but either way, remember, one boss per contestant. Tempting as I'm sure it might be to make bosses for multiple Square games you love, as a contest entry you have to pick just one for your evaluation. And please refrain from submitting any boss ideas of this category for fun until the round ends.

And with that, on Monday July 8th 2019, Round 3 has begun, you have until Friday, July 12th to submit entries.

Good Luck!

D

Deleted member

Strawpoll for Round 4

As for what's on this new poll, Zelda Bosses, Metroid Bosses, Kirby Bosses, and Super Nintendo Bosses remain there as they were. The new option added in the Round 3 Poll was Mario RPG Bosses which remains here as well. It's a round meant for bosses out of Super Mario RPG, The Paper Mario games (Super Paper Mario, Sticker Star, and Color Splash included), and the Mario & Luigi games.

The other new option that takes the place of Square-Enix Bosses is Capcom Bosses. Same general idea as Square-Enix Bosses. Only this time it's from games made and owned by Capcom.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Scorpion_Sentinel.png

Boss Name:
Scorpion Sentinel

Game of Origin:
Final Fantasy VII

What Does This Boss Do?:
The Scorpion Sentinel is a large robot between the size of Dracula Phase 1 and Galleom. The first boss in the entirety of Final Fantasy VII, the Scorpion Sentinel is encountered in the bombing of the Sector 1 Reactor in Midgar. However, unlike in FF7, this takes more from its battle in the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Mark 98 Cannons: The Scorpion Sentinel fires a burst of bullets at the enemy. The cannons don’t do much, only dealing 17% damage total, but it’s lethal enough for battle.

Target Scan: The Scorpion Sentinel will lock onto the player’s current position. This can tie into the attack below.

Mark 99 Launchers: The Scorpion Sentinel fires a barrage of 12 missiles across the battlefield. The missiles deal only 5% damage each, but tied with Target Scan, can rack up damage easier. Although they hone in on the opponent, they can still miss or be perfect shielded, as well as reflected.

Death Grip: If the player is too close to them, the Scorpion Sentinel can grab the opponent and charge a laser on its tail. The player can mash out of this. See Tail Laser for more details.

Electrostomp: If the player is too close to them, the Scorpion Sentinel will reel back and create a large stomp in front of itself, creating a field of lightning in front of it that deals 12% damage.

Barrier: When 25% of its health is depleted, the Scorpion Sentinel will deploy an energy shield molded around its shape. In this state, all attacks it takes are reduced to 1% damage, except for a core below its tail, in which it takes normal damage, similarly to Ganon, the Demon King. Dealing 50% damage to the core will destroy it, permanently disabling the barrier.

EM Field: The Scorpion Sentinel can charge up and release a burst of energy, which deals 8% damage in exchange for releasing it completely around itself as opposed to in front.

Tail Laser: When 50% damage has been depleted, it gains the ability to charge its tail with energy for a bit before firing it at the opponent’s location. If the opponent attacks while it’s charging, it will immediately counterattack with it. The player can also duck behind rubble to hide from the laser before it fires. Only while the Laser is firing at the rubble can you deal damage safely. The Laser itself deals 27% damage.

Auto-Repair Unit: When reaching 10% of its health, the Scorpion Sentinel will stick its left front leg out and begin repairing 2% of its total health over time. Deal 50% damage to the leg to destroy it and permanently disable this ability.

Not only can the Scorpion Sentinel do all of the above, the following happens as the battle progresses:

50% Health Depleted: The Scorpion Sentinel will jump into the background and fire missiles everywhere, catching everything on fire. After that happens, rubble will periodically fall from the top of the screen to be used as cover against the Tail Laser.

90% Health Depleted: The Scorpion Sentinel will momentarily start wildly firing his cannons and missiles everywhere, electricity leaking out of its body as it does so. When the Scorpion has recomposed itself, the stage looks even more devastated and the fire has spread even more. See above for details on the cannons and missiles.

Defeat: The Scorpion Sentinel will begin its last resort: charge and fire the Tail Laser while thrashing it about in an attempt to destroy the player for 10 seconds before falling off the stage and exploding. This final attack is similar to the pulse attack that Master Core can do in Smash 4’s Classic Mode.

Boss Setting:
The battle takes place in the Sector 1 Reactor of Midgar, a time-bomb planted and ready to start ticking. At the start of the battle, the player’s character will attempt to activate the bomb before alarms go off and the camera cuts to a streak of metallic red before panning to the stage itself, where the Scorpion Sentinel lands in front of the player, ready to fight. The battle theme that plays is Fight On! from the original Final Fantasy VII. Alternatively, at higher difficulties, it will instead play the Boss Theme from FF7R.

Where Are They Found?:
In World of Light, there is a new area in the misty forest portion of Galeem’s Dimension called Sector 1 that can be accessed by train. When arriving in this area, you will enter the area, which is a recreation of the Bombing Mission from the original FF7. This place houses robotic spirits (Such as Poppi from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the Great Octostomp from Splatoon) to military spirits (Such as 3rd Class SOLDIERS at the start of the map and Ardanian Soldiers from Xenoblade Chronicles 2). At the end of the Bombing Run, you will encounter the Scorpion Sentinel.

In Classic Mode, the following characters can face off against the Guard Scorpion:

:ultcloud:: A reference to the first boss in FF7.
:ultsnake:: The Scorpion Sentinel looks more like a Metal Gear than Galleom.
:ultkrool:: The Tail Laser is reminiscent to the Blast-O-Matic.
:ultshulk:: A reference to the Mechon.
:ultsonic:: The Scorpion Sentinel holds some reminiscence to the Death Egg Robot.
:ultbanjokazooie:: A minor reference to the HAG 1 boss from Banjo-Tooie.
:ultrob:: The Scorpion Sentinel has no readable expressions.
:ultpikachu:: Pikachu’s heavy usage of lightning attacks easily exploits the Scorpion Sentinel’s weakness to it.

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'll skip this round. I've played next to no games from Square Enix, so I have no idea who I could choose. Maybe next time.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
687F47A1-0213-427B-8094-80F18FC0EA08.png

Boss: Behemoth

Game of Origin: Final Fantasy II (1988)

What does this boss do?

-Swipe: Behemoth aggressively swipes the player with its claws (16%).

-Heave!: Behemoth rams the player with its horns (19%) and chucks them into the air.

-Tail Swipe: Behemoth spin jumps and attacks with its tail (17%).

-Firaga Breath: Behemoth breathes Firaga for 3 seconds (27%) that even leaves fire trails on the ground (7%).

-Crystal Rain: Behemoth slams its front feet on the ground, causing a group of crystal stalactites to fall down from the ceiling in different sizes (12% small, 18% medium, 24% big).

-Charybdis: Behemoth unleashes devastating wind magic that has a likelihood of launching you with a Star K.O. (30%).

Setting/Intro: The Palamecian Coliseum, where it was originally fought in Final Fantasy II, with crystal stalactites hanging from the ceiling. As the cage opens, the Behemoth slowly walks out of it and towards the player. After completely coming out, it faces the player and roars.

Who fights this boss in Classic Mode?
:ultgnw: (80’s boss from an NES game; plays the original Death Mountain theme)
:ultpit: (Giant demon)
:ultwario: (Big brute)
:ultlucas: (Resembles the Ultimate Chimera; plays Smashing Song of Praise)
:ultshulk: (Rare JRPG monster)
:ultcloud: (Iconic Final Fantasy enemy)
:ultridley: (Behemoth hide is presumably worth a lot of coin)

Where would this boss be in World of Light?
In the Light Realm’s Molten Fortress, guarding Peach’s cage.

Music: Fight On! (Final Fantasy VII)

(I don't have too much connection to Final Fantasy, so I think I might've tried way too hard for this one.)

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
train.jpg

Boss: Phantom Train
-----------------------
Game of Origin: Final Fantasy 1 (1987) and later Final Fantasy 6, (1994) appeared again in Sigmascape V1.0 (FF XIV expansion in 2017)
-----------------------
What does this boss do?:
Remember Meta Ridley back in Brawl where he can attack the Falcon Flyer? well the Phantom Train has an attack where it rams into the flatbed causing it to nearly derail which is like the same as the boss above!. And the more it's health bar gets depleted the train starts getting wrecked more and more as it gets aggressive and deadlier than before, here's the damage to the train:
0%-Perfect Condition

10%-Bit bashed up

20%-Light on the front breaks (but it still works)

30%-Rods on it's wheels snap and break off

40%-Funnel gets bent

50%-Some of the wheels come off

60%-Smoke emits from the train

70%-All wrecked and emitting fire with sparks coming out (still persistent to defeat you)
-------------------------
Phantom Train's Attacks
Wheel: Throws one of the wheels at you. (28%)

Diabolic Whistle: Summons several ghosts to attack. (each ghost does 32%)

Acid Rain: Summons a rain of acid poisoning you. (73%)

Saintly Beam: Several beams of light crash down from the sky damaging you. (59%)

Doom Strike: Smashes into the flatbed causing the back of it to tilt up. (18%)

Diabolic Wind: Blows strong wind pushing you back. (0%)

Head On: Rams into the flatbed so hard causing you to go tumbling back. (66%) (This attack comes from Sigmascape V1.0)

The other 2 below are made up:

Smoke Blast: Shoots smoke from the funnel making the screen go foggy and damages you. (42%)

Fiery Breath: Blasts a stream of fire from the train's front burning the player. (35%)
Setting of Fight: Phantom Forest (You fight the train on a runaway flatbed)
Boss Intro: The player's character is on a runaway flatbed as it barrels on the track, suddenly something crashes into the flatbed causing the character to fall down and see the Phantom Train pursuing you. The Phantom Train does a loud whistle with fire coming out, start of battle.
Boss Defeat: The train starts creaking and groaning as it goes derailing off the rails causing it to violently crash with the carriages smashing into each other and flying everywhere, the flatbed slows down with the Train from before tumbling several times before sliding on the ground to a stop with the destroyed carriages following suit with the entire thing smashed up. End of battle
Who fights it in Classic Mode:
:ultluigi:(Has fought possessed objects such as the Killer Staircase and Giant Spider back in Dark Moon)
:ultcloud:(Final Fantasy rep)
:ultyoshi:(Fought giant ghosts in Yoshi's Island SNES and DS)
:ultyounglink:(Took on Phantom Ganon)
:ulttoonlink:(Similar to the Demon Train)
:ultwario:(Wario Land 2 and Shake It! had train levels)
:ultdiddy:(Took on Kreepy Krow who was the undead version of Krow)
:ultbanjokazooie:(Haunted level back in Banjo-Kazooie on 64)
:ultkingdedede:(Overcoming his fear of ghosts)
:ultkirby:(Can possess enemies with the Ghost Ability)
:ultmegaman: (Fought Charge Man who is train themed)
--------------------------

Where would it be in the Dark Realm?: In a new sub-area called "Spiritual Railway" with ghostly spirits and Phantom Train as the boss at the end of the tracks. (Note: After the Phantom Train fight, you can see the wrecked locomotive with it's destroyed carriages on the map)
There! Finished all of it!

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
View attachment 230513

Boss Name:
Scorpion Sentinel

Game of Origin:
Final Fantasy VII

What Does This Boss Do?:
The Scorpion Sentinel is a large robot between the size of Dracula Phase 1 and Galleom. The first boss in the entirety of Final Fantasy VII, the Scorpion Sentinel is encountered in the bombing of the Sector 1 Reactor in Midgar. However, unlike in FF7, this takes more from its battle in the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Mark 98 Cannons: The Scorpion Sentinel fires a burst of bullets at the enemy. The cannons don’t do much, only dealing 17% damage total, but it’s lethal enough for battle.

Target Scan: The Scorpion Sentinel will lock onto the player’s current position. This can tie into the attack below.

Mark 99 Launchers: The Scorpion Sentinel fires a barrage of 12 missiles across the battlefield. The missiles deal only 5% damage each, but tied with Target Scan, can rack up damage easier. Although they hone in on the opponent, they can still miss or be perfect shielded, as well as reflected.

Death Grip: If the player is too close to them, the Scorpion Sentinel can grab the opponent and charge a laser on its tail. The player can mash out of this. See Tail Laser for more details.

Electrostomp: If the player is too close to them, the Scorpion Sentinel will reel back and create a large stomp in front of itself, creating a field of lightning in front of it that deals 12% damage.

Barrier: When 25% of its health is depleted, the Scorpion Sentinel will deploy an energy shield molded around its shape. In this state, all attacks it takes are reduced to 1% damage, except for a core below its tail, in which it takes normal damage, similarly to Ganon, the Demon King. Dealing 50% damage to the core will destroy it, permanently disabling the barrier.

EM Field: The Scorpion Sentinel can charge up and release a burst of energy, which deals 8% damage in exchange for releasing it completely around itself as opposed to in front.

Tail Laser: When 50% damage has been depleted, it gains the ability to charge its tail with energy for a bit before firing it at the opponent’s location. If the opponent attacks while it’s charging, it will immediately counterattack with it. The player can also duck behind rubble to hide from the laser before it fires. Only while the Laser is firing at the rubble can you deal damage safely. The Laser itself deals 27% damage.

Auto-Repair Unit: When reaching 10% of its health, the Scorpion Sentinel will stick its left front leg out and begin repairing 2% of its total health over time. Deal 50% damage to the leg to destroy it and permanently disable this ability.

Not only can the Scorpion Sentinel do all of the above, the following happens as the battle progresses:

50% Health Depleted: The Scorpion Sentinel will jump into the background and fire missiles everywhere, catching everything on fire. After that happens, rubble will periodically fall from the top of the screen to be used as cover against the Tail Laser.

90% Health Depleted: The Scorpion Sentinel will momentarily start wildly firing his cannons and missiles everywhere, electricity leaking out of its body as it does so. When the Scorpion has recomposed itself, the stage looks even more devastated and the fire has spread even more. See above for details on the cannons and missiles.

Defeat: The Scorpion Sentinel will begin its last resort: charge and fire the Tail Laser while thrashing it about in an attempt to destroy the player for 10 seconds before falling off the stage and exploding. This final attack is similar to the pulse attack that Master Core can do in Smash 4’s Classic Mode.

Boss Setting:
The battle takes place in the Sector 1 Reactor of Midgar, a time-bomb planted and ready to start ticking. At the start of the battle, the player’s character will attempt to activate the bomb before alarms go off and the camera cuts to a streak of metallic red before panning to the stage itself, where the Scorpion Sentinel lands in front of the player, ready to fight. The battle theme that plays is Fight On! from the original Final Fantasy VII. Alternatively, at higher difficulties, it will instead play the Boss Theme from FF7R.

Where Are They Found?:
In World of Light, there is a new area in the misty forest portion of Galeem’s Dimension called Sector 1 that can be accessed by train. When arriving in this area, you will enter the area, which is a recreation of the Bombing Mission from the original FF7. This place houses robotic spirits (Such as Poppi from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the Great Octostomp from Splatoon) to military spirits (Such as 3rd Class SOLDIERS at the start of the map and Ardanian Soldiers from Xenoblade Chronicles 2). At the end of the Bombing Run, you will encounter the Scorpion Sentinel.

In Classic Mode, the following characters can face off against the Guard Scorpion:

:ultcloud:: A reference to the first boss in FF7.
:ultsnake:: The Scorpion Sentinel looks more like a Metal Gear than Galleom.
:ultkrool:: The Tail Laser is reminiscent to the Blast-O-Matic.
:ultshulk:: A reference to the Mechon.
:ultsonic:: The Scorpion Sentinel holds some reminiscence to the Death Egg Robot.
:ultbanjokazooie:: A minor reference to the HAG 1 boss from Banjo-Tooie.
:ultrob:: The Scorpion Sentinel has no readable expressions.
Ooh, this is unique! Brief suggestion, though—have :ultpikachu: fight it as well, since its attacks consist of lighting, which is what the Guard Scorpion is weak too.

Oh, and Mamboo07 Mamboo07 : The Phantom Train is also a unique twist, but why not have :ulttoonlink: fight it? He’s experienced in ghostly locomotives, after all.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Ooh, this is unique! Brief suggestion, though—have :ultpikachu: fight it as well, since its attacks consist of lighting, which is what the Guard Scorpion is weak too.

Oh, and Mamboo07 Mamboo07 : The Phantom Train is also a unique twist, but why not have :ulttoonlink: fight it? He’s experienced in ghostly locomotives, after all.
thanks! i'm adding him;)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I had a plan for Square bosses when I voted for it

But now I forgot what it was

I'll still submit trust me lol

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Thank you for the suggestion!

D

Deleted member

Update: I have received Cosmics grades. Once I return home, round 2 will be graded.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm not particularly stoked with my entry today. Not because my concept is bad, but because my mockup isn't nearly as good as it looks in my head and I fear that I'm not going to do it justice with this description and picture.

In the Smash Ultimate Stage Contest, I entered a Final Fantasy Tactics Advance stage for the FF round- I was tempted to do so again because the FFTA games are the Final Fantasy/Square games I've spent the most time with. However... I also put many hours into Final Fantasy XV before I stopped playing because I hate the PS4 and am picking up the game on Xbox so I enjoy it more. However, in that time I did play against this very memorable boss...

TITAN
Disc of Cauthess
Final Fantasy XV

1562718215028.png

Prepare yourself for a disappointing mockup

1562718173044.png

Yeah...

I'm not great at making realisticish renders sue me

Anyway, in FFXV, Noctis and Gladiolus get separated from Ignis and Prompto in a very rocky/lava-y area called the Disc of Cauthess. After Noctis grabs a fancy royal weapon, this enormous titan emergest from under a giant rock and attacks. Noctis and Gladio need to avoid being attacked by the Titan and eventually fight the thing in earnest when they get down in front of it to try and have a chat. The Titan decides he wants to still attack instead of talking and uses several different moves.

The Boss Stage in Smash is mostly self evident- the Titan mostly exists in the background but attacks when he can and makes himself vulnerable when he does.

• He will slap down on the stage where you are standing. When his hand is in the foreground, you can attack it and do up to a fifth of his total health.
  • He will move his hand across the stage from side-to-side, trying to sweep you off the stage. You can dodge it, or attack him enough in this move to make his hand stop temporarily to rack up some damage.
  • He will make a short earthquake, during which you can fall into a fissure in the map. He is not vulnerable during this attack.
  • He will try to headbutt the stage in the middle, making his head vulnerable to attack.
  • If he has next-to-no health remaining, he'll do an attack like Bowser's new final smash where he punches from behind- if he hits you with this attack and you're above 50% damage, you get instantly screen-KO'd! This is, much like Bowser's final smash, completely avoidable and has a very telegraphed wind-up. Plus, you should still have stocks remaining anyway- but it adds a thrilling gambit to the end of this match just in case you don't.
Apocalypsis Noctis plays on this stage.

My original thought with this boss's implementation was as part of a DLC pack that adds Noctis as a playable character, with Gladio, Ignis and Prompto as alternate skins a la Bowser Jr or The Hero (As well as their Pocket Edition versions since that's actually been on Switch).

1562720139469.png

I'd probably main Ignis if he had a taunt that said "I've come up with a new recipe!" and spam that a lot

(I know this isn't really relevant to the boss stage, but my thought process was that Noctis would use various weapons that all four use. Standard special is the different magic that shoots to a specified area, kind of mixing Robin's neutral B and forward B in many ways, as well as using Prompto's gun, Gladio's bigboi swords, etc)

With the DLC pack comes the character, a stage based on the Kingdom of Lucis, and a small campaign in World of Light where the enemy spirits are from the attacking Empire of Niflheim, with the attempt to retake Lucis. Along the way, the player fights the Titan.

Characters that will fight the Titan in Classic Mode:

(Obvi Noctis gonna fight it)
:ultcloud: (Final Fantasy Represent)
:ulthero: (...Square represent?)
:ultbayonetta: (This is such a Bayo boss)
:ultlucas: (Flashbacks to fighting the Porky statue)
:ultpalutena: (Greek Gods and Goddesses always fighting Titans...)
:ultrichter: (YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD MONSTER)
:ultridley: (too big for Smash)
:ultlink: (Fighting giant monsters kinda my thing!)
:ultdarkpit::ultjoker: (Us emo-ish black haired guys gotta stick together)

This is a weird one for me. While I played the game past this part, it took me a while to kind of compile my thoughts and I'm not sure that it came across well. so be it, there are plenty of other good entries for this round lol

(My runner-up ideas were a stage with a slow Tonberry that has a ton of health and kills in one hit but I thought, while accurate, it'd be boring, as well as one based on Space Invaders, which apparently Square owns now)

20190710_065223.jpg

(I think I like FFXV more than I thought I did, I'm excited for my xbox copy to come in. Got that $90 deluxe edition for $16 unopened on ebay so I'm #stoked)

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Time for Round 2 grades!

psb123's grades:

Wart by Kevandre Kevandre

Utiliation: 5/5

Sure there's not a new type of mode to fight bosses in that's been suggested, but I think I'm leaning more towards that not being a super big problem. At the very least that pattern does emulate how a boss would function if it was in Ultimate which honestly just sounds like an option for how the boss could be in a Smash game rather than a requirement.

Not to mention the brand new map for World of Light. A very fitting and appealing sounding one too if I do say so myself. That's also an impressive amount of classic mode runs so I'd say things work out pretty good for this category.

Creativity: 6/10

Okay so I know I said my initial impressions of this boss were positive, but the key word there is "initial." I understand that you're trying to make bosses feel more "unique", but there's a reason all the ones in Smash have this "Same-y" feel to them as you put it. You're fighting a boss from a Nintendo or applicable 3rd party game in a Smash Bros. game. That's what a boss is. This...isn't really that. You're fighting minor, Smash Run styled enemies to open a cage to throw a vegetable at a target 3 times. It honestly sounds more like a mini-game than a boss battle. And you're still fighting enemies anyway so why not just fight Wart himself?

I know these massive change ups are the route you're going to go with this contest, and if that's what you want to continue to do I can't stop you. But there is such a thing as being "too unique" and this is kind of that. Creativity is important, but so are sensibility and functionality. In any game, trying too hard to be different runs the risk of implementing an idea that ends up being more novel than functional.

Balance: 6/10

All things considered this is a rather easy trial to accomplish. Tasks in games don't always have to be hard to be good but this one just seems a little too easy. With the layout of the arena and lack of clarification on how powerful the enemies are it seems like being KO'd isn't much of a risk here. Peach and Daisy having the advantage that they do technically adds to this point, but given the utilization it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as it could be. Daisy doesn't even fight Wart at the end of her classic mode for one thing.

Overall Score: 17/25

Lord of Lightning by GolisoPower GolisoPower

Utilization: 4/5

The classic mode runs fit quite well and are noticeably plentiful, and I'm liking what I'm hearing of that new map for World of Light. I just with this boss was fought by a couple more Mario characters. There probably wouldn't be much need to have him replace the bosses that Luigi and Rosalina fight already, but Peach, Daisy, and Bowser could have stood to fought this guy.

Creativity: 10/10

Nice little risk vs. reward thing you got going on with those pins. They summon minor enemies to deal with when removed, but you can deal more damage to the boss once they are. If only temporarily. The Multi-Moon would have also been a nice cosmetic detail by itself, but it's made even better by being able to collect it to increase your rewards.

Balance: 10/10

Just because you can weaken this guy doesn't mean he's a pushover. His attacks are still a noticeable threat and he increasing their deadliness as you get closer to defeating him. Sounds like you got to stay on your guard with this one but there's nothing that's cheap or unfair.

Overall Score: 24/25

Petey Piranha by Perkilator Perkilator

I'm liking the new area of World of Light's Power Plant where you can find him. My main gripe here involves the classic mode runs. 7 isn't a bad number but it would have been nice if you used a few of the other options in addition to this. For one thing it's kind of odd that Peach fights this thing out of revenge for Subspace Emissary but Zelda doesn't. Then again Zelda already fights Ganon so maybe it's not that much of a shame. What is a shame though is that you didn't have Piranha Plant fight this guy.

Creativity: 9/10

Re-using bosses from Brawl and having them do the same things again is risky with this category. But honestly speaking you added a lot of new stuff here. New setting for the fight, new attacks that are much more faithful to Petey's canon abilities, you even added the twist of certain characters being able to throw their projectiles into Petey's mouth for additional effect that can either help or hurt the player depending on the projectile in question. Honestly speaking if you just ditched the cages this would be an entirely new boss. Probably would have gotten a 10 here if you did that as well.

I'm not really seeing much to be concerned about here. I did worry for a bit that Petey would retreat to the background when the Gatekeepers were out but looking at it again it doesn't really seem like he does. Beyond that, I suppose being able to be inked for increased damage might be a concern to some. But it's not the biggest deal in the world when Master Hand does it so I think it's fine.

Overall Score: 23/25

Meowser by LoZ00 LoZ00

Utilization: 5/5

Once again there's a new map for World of Light. That's always a plus. But then we get to classic mode. I gave a 5 in the end, but I'll admit the classic mode line-up had me thinking. 7 fights isn't bad though and honestly, I can't really think of any more characters that feel like they'd be clamoring to fight this boss. Maybe Piranha Plant but it's not enough for me to take points off for.

Pretty faithful adaptation if I do say so myself. Really makes some good use of not only Meowsers attacks from the source game, but also in recreating the feel of the final battle from 3d World. I mainly say that second point in relation the Phase 2. Thanks to Phase 1 of the final battle in World of Light scrolling isn't exactly an unknown concept to boss fights. Granted you don't actually fight Galeem and Dharkon during the scrolling part but it's at least something. And the scrolling part here helps make the fight feel like it was pulled straight from 3d World. Creativity wise, the scrolling parts a nice addition.

............Balance wise on the other hand.

Balance: 7/10

Meowser can still hurt you during the scrolling phase, but you can't hurt him. That's a pretty noticeable hindrance. The decrease in Meowser's overall HP compared to other bosses helps to soften the blow but it doesn't eliminate the problem entirely. That is my only concern however. And even then the platform layout of phase 2 doesn't sound like it has a lack of footing to be concerned about.

Overall Score: 22/25

Cosmic77's grades:

"Wart" by Kevandre:

Utilization: 5/5

Not bad. Nice selection of characters for Classic, detailed area in WoL with a theme that stretches into other games - all sounds good to me. Not sure if you were supposed to come up with some type of special mode in addition to all this, but I'm still learning how to grade this category.

Creativity: 9/10

Well, your original goal of creating a unique boss was accomplished. I like how you stayed true to the games and put an emphasis on throwing vegetables (more to say on this later), and the swarms of enemies coming from the pipes were also a nice throwback.

I do wish you had Wart himself do more though. Feels like he sort of just stands there while the player dodges the other enemies.

Balance: 3/10

I feel bad for being this critical, but there's multiple problems with this boss fight. One, the layout is basically one big cave of life. Just stand in the center and you'll probably survive. Two, you didn't provide enough details on the enemies and their attacks - something I know I stressed to just about every competitor last time. Three, and perhaps the biggest concern of all, you made a boss fight that can't be defeated with traditional attacks. I get what you were going for, but this is Smash, a game that's all about fighting. If you can't attack an enemy and beat them the normal way, then you're essentially making a boss for SMB2, not Smash.

Overall Score: 17/25

"Lord of Lightning" by GolisoPower:

The WoL segment seems fine. Nothing really to say on that. However, you made a Mario boss that's fought by more FE and Metroid characters than it is Mario characters. So if you don't already know where I'm going with this, I really would've liked to have seen a few more, preferably Bowser and Peach.

I'm actually rather impressed by how you flawlessly merged this into Smash. I'm glad you can still attack LoL (Lord of Lightning) while he has the helmet on; I was worried you might make him invincible, which would cause a few problems. Nice job on increasing the damage of the attacks when you remove all swords too.

The attacks also stay true to the game, but are different enough to make LoL feel like a truly unique boss. I might have added one attack if it were me, but four will suffice.

Honestly, I don't think there's much worth nit-picking. The layout is fine, the attacks are nothing unreasonable, you have damage percentages and a few descriptions of knockback, the boss is big and easy to hit - everything seems good.

Overall Score: 24/25

"Petey Piranha" by Perkilator:

Some of the characters who fight Petey are a little random, but I guess they work well enough. The WoL area is fine too, but I wish you could've went into a little more detail about this new area you were talking about. Your description was a little skimpy.

Creativity: 8/10

I'm not entirely sold on reusing old bosses and adding on to them, but you managed to do Petey some justice. Nice nods to previous Mario games with those old attacks, especially the ones from Sunshine. You also added a few new moves of your own invention. Those are always a plus in the "Creativity" department for obvious reasons.

Personally though, if Petey were to return as a boss, I'd prefer he stayed the same, but that's just my own opinion. I'm not taking that into consideration with your score.

Balance: 9/10

Pretty good overall. The damage percentages seem decent enough, and I'm not seeing any ridiculously OP attacks. I do wish you would've added some details about knockback though. Just because an attack deals a lot of damage doesn't mean the knockback is high and vice-versa.

Overall Score: 21/25

"Meowser" by LoZ00:

Like what you came up with. The list of characters in Classic fit the theme, the reasoning for them made sense, and, while really short, you added a description of how he'd fit into WoL.

Just maybe go into more detail with the latter next time.

I'm surprised to see so much detail for one boss (14 different attacks!?). Seems like you took a lot of inspiration from SM3DW.

I'll admit, your boss is a tad too long for my liking, but it's very creative. Having a vertical-scrolling boss stage is a first, and it makes sense given the source material. The attacks you included are great as well. Some are more creative than others, but nearly all of them are inspired from actual attacks and moves from 3DW - something I can appreciate. Nicely done!

Balance: 9/10

The one tiny little complaint I have about your boss is the knockback descriptions (not just angles, but how far you'll go). You started out good, but fizzled out in the second part onward. Gotta have those along with the damage values (doesn't have to be a long description either BTW. Just something like "heavy knockback" or light knockback").

Aside from that though, you're golden.

Overall Score: 23/25

Total Scores:

Kevandre: 34 points

GolisoPower: 48 points

Perkilator: 44 points

LoZ00: 45 points

Lord of Lightning
Wins

Nice Work GolisoPower

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Wow! Good job Goliso for winning this!:bee:
By the way when's the round 3 grades coming?
I'm having so much fun with this boss creating thing! (It's awsome)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wow! Good job Goliso for winning this!:bee:
By the way when's the round 3 grades coming?
I'm having so much fun with this boss creating thing! (It's awsome)
Round 3 doesn't actually end until this Friday. After I declare the round as over on that day, the grades for it should be in hopefully no later than the following Sunday.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Round 3 doesn't actually end until this Friday. After I declare the round as over on that day, the grades for it should be in hopefully no later than the following Sunday.
Thanks for your help! Creating a boss fight on this is exciting and so many infinite possibilities;)

D

Deleted member

Thanks for the positive response, guys! Anyone else able to cook up a Square Enix boss? Also, @psb123, what’re your impressions of the entrants so far?
My current impressions:

Overall - I find it kind of ironic that all the entries so far are from Final Fantasy despite the round being open to all Square games. It's not a problem it's just an odd way the chips fell.

GolisoPower GolisoPower - Solid Entry, though I'm not sure how I feel about after death last resort attacks on Smash Bosses.

You - Not too bad. But I'd edit your entry while you can to fix that Ecliptic Meteor attack if I were you. It's current function will cost you a decent amount of points.

Mamboo07 Mamboo07 - Not really sure why Poochy specified 24% damage for Diabolic Wind when it's just a windbox.

Kevandre Kevandre - I like how it's a more traditional boss this time. But I'm not a fan of it only being vulnerable after specific attacks or it having an instant KO move at just 40% damage.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Damn, I actually won the round!

I chose the Lord of Lightning because iirc, this Boss was really popular just because of shock factor. Literally no one could’ve seen a realistic dragon as a Mario boss, and I think that’s what made him all the more appealing.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
My current impressions:

Overall - I find it kind of ironic that all the entries so far are from Final Fantasy despite the round being open to all Square games. It's not a problem it's just an odd way the chips fell.

GolisoPower GolisoPower - Solid Entry, though I'm not sure how I feel about after death last resort attacks on Smash Bosses.

You - Not too bad. But I'd edit your entry while you can to fix that Ecliptic Meteor attack if I were you. It's current function will cost you a decent amount of points.

Mamboo07 Mamboo07 - Not really sure why Poochy specified 24% damage for Diabolic Wind when it's just a windbox.

Kevandre Kevandre - I like how it's a more traditional boss this time. But I'm not a fan of it only being vulnerable after specific attacks or it having an instant KO move at just 40% damage.
By the way i fixed the Diabolic Wind attack that does 0% damage (cause it's wind)

Top Bottom