- Jan 26, 2018
Giga Bowser in Melee, Master Core in Smash 4, the classic Master Hand, and a handful of others.
Boss Battles against giant enemies from across Nintendo's Catalog are a featured and welcome part of Super Smash Bros. Well okay technically we get a couple of original bosses sometimes but this contest will be focusing on enemies pulled from various Nintendo and represented 3rd party games to feature as bosses in Smash. And I don't just mean Smash Utlimate either. Heck I doubt that game will be getting anymore bosses anyway. We're talking boss ideas that could be in future Smash games where the modes they are used in are unknown. Classic Mode, Adventure Mode, maybe even include them in event matches or spirit battles, creativity in where the bosses can be fought will kind of be a theme with this contest.
1. Each round will only allow one entry per person
2. Each entry has to apply to the category of the round otherwise it won’t be counted
3. Round 1 will end on Friday, June 28th, at 11:00pm Pacific Time, and then Round 2 will begin on Monday, July 1st and end on Friday, July 5th. That pattern of a round starting Monday, ending Friday, and having the judges grade the entries over the weekend is what the contest will be running with. Round 1 just gets a little extra time because of it starting today, which is a Thursday.
4. Boss Ideas that apply to the current round's category can still be submitted for fun, but only after the round ends.
5. There will be rounds that have a category that makes use of entries that were eligible in previous rounds. In cases like these, you cannot use an idea that was already submitted. You can base your idea on the same boss character, but you have to do it in a different way than a prior entry. Submissions previously made for fun can be submitted to rounds like this. But only by the person who made the original for fun submission.
6. Enemies that fit the "Giant" Bill only. Ignoring any and all chances that the boss in question could be a playable character, the fact of the matter is that every boss in Smash Bros. so far has towered over the playable characters to a noticeable degree. Will bosses always be bigger like this? Only time will tell. But for the sake of feasibility we're sticking with character that fit the bill set by the likes of Petey Piranha and Rathalos. Say you want to take a character like the Black Knight from Fire Emblem and size him up to meet the height criteria? I'm not outright banning such a concept, Dracula and Marx kind of do that already, but it is a risky route to take. So be aware that your entry may be disqualified if you attempt this method but don't meet the necessary standards.
7. As with any thread, please abide by the general rules of Smashboards. If for whatever reason you need a reminder of those than you can find them here.
This isn't the required way to make your posts. It's just a general idea for how these submissions can be structured.
Name of Boss:
The bosses name. Simple as that really.
Game of Origin:
The game where the boss comes from.
What does the Boss do:
All the stuff that makes a boss battle a boss battle. Attacks it will use, movement patterns, potential weaknesses, etc.
Boss Battle Setting:
What would the arena where you fight the boss be like? What's its layout? What location inspired it? What music plays during the battle? Would the music be different depending on what character and mode you're fighting the boss in?
Grading Criteria:This is how the judges will grade your bosses.
Utilization (1 to 5 points):
Did you know that outside of Adventure Mode, the only way to fight Giga Bowser in Smash Ultimate is via the Classic Mode routes of Mario and Captain Falcon? Yeah........don't do that. Make your bosses feel like they really have a presence in the game. Put them at the end of a good amount of classic mode runs, give them a prominent role in Adventure Mode, make a few event matches or spirits battles where they can be fought, include the idea of a boss battle mode and have them be a part of it.
Just be careful with the idea of a Boss Rush mode. If there are too many bosses in a Smash game, then a Boss Rush Mode can become too tedious. If you decide to include a Boss Rush idea in your submission, then specify how many bosses this theoretical interpretation of it would have in total. And if it's a little on the high side, then do something like use Heart Containers in a way that gives the player a fighting chance.
Creativity (1 to 10 points):
The type of things to keep in mind with this score involve how what kind of attacks the boss uses, what the setting is, what game does the boss come from, how faithful is the adaptation, is there anything special like the music changing to tie in to DJ Octavio when Inkling fights Marx in Classic Mode.
Just be careful not to include things that are creative in a bad way. Like navigating a maze to collect keys in order to defeat the boss for example.
Balance (1 to 10 points):
To quote the icon known as the AVGN, just because it's hard, doesn't mean it's bad. At the same time though it's best to try and avoid bosses being cheap. Being a challenge that's hard to overcome, especially on higher difficulties, is fine. But try not to do things like include unbalanced attacks like Tabuu's Off Wave. Or something like how Master Core can only be fought in a mode where you never have more than 2 lives.
Every grading cycle the judges will award their own individual scores to each boss based on this criteria, and then all the scores from the judges will be added together for the total amount of points for the boss. Whichever boss has the most points at the end of this wins.
Judges:The current judges are:
Good Guy Giygas
If you're interested in judging, PM me and we'll see what we can work out.
How will new rounds be decided?Via a Strawpoll that will list 6 options at a time for what the next round could be. On the Monday when a new round starts, whichever option has the most votes becomes the next round. The Strawpoll for Round 2 is right here.
That's all that needs to covered in this introduction. Without further ado, Round 1 is......................................................
Pokemon Bosses:Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon got people thinking about other Pokemon Bosses to carry Rayquaza's Torch. Even though that didn't actually happen. And with the 8th generation on the way with Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield let's take a moment to appreciate the boss potential that can be found in the 7 generations Pokemon has currently had.
Not just with the main series either, if you can find a suitable from the spin-offs like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon that you want to go with then feel free to use it. Just keep in mind that the setting of the boss fight has an impact on the source material the boss is considered to be in. Darkrai for example can count as a boss from Pokepark by utilizing his lair and attacks from said game.
But I'm only allowing Pokemon Games for this. No Anime, Manga, or other non-video game material.
Detective Pikachu? Game - Yes, Movie - No
Pokemon Trading Card Game? I know it had a video game version of itself on the Game Boy. Even so, no.
Pokemon Go? It is a video game, so technically yes. But if you can manage to pull a boss from that game of all things then you can consider me impressed.
And with that, Round 1 has begun. You have until Friday, June 28th, at about 11:00pm Pacific Time to submit entries.