• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Boss Creation Thread

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Any update on the Mario RPG Boss grades? I'm dying to know who wins that round.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Man I have no idea what to do for Capcom. I'll try to get one but at this point no guarantees

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Boop.png

Boss
Dalamadur (Indiana Jones would have a heart attack if he saw this thing.)
------------
Game of Origin

Monster Hunter 4 (The entirety of Rotten Vale in World is Dalamadur itself.)
------------
What does this boss do

This Elder Dragon here can destroy part of the arena and when you break off it's body parts Dalamadur will get aggressive and deadlier, thankfully it's weakness is tiring out when this happens it's your chance to attack him, it can slither around the stage and you can hop on it's long body to attack him more. At half health it turns into it's Shah form and becomes dangerous than before.
(During this you can stun Dalamadur by making him bite himself on it's body)

(The boss's health bar is gigantic due to it's large size and the timer is extended)

(This boss is the biggest out of the other ones)
------------
Dalamadur's Attacks
(Tried my best to not make it overpowered)
Roar: Dalamadur roars at the player stunning them. (0% damage, no knock back.)
Fireball Breath: Dalamadur blasts a fireball at the player. (15% damage, light knock back.)
Claw Slash: Swipes with it's claw. (21% damage, medium knock back.)
Constrict: Crushes the player with it's body. (29% damage, heavy knock back.)
Tail Smash: It's tail rears up and crashes down. (31% damage, heavy knock back, can attack it if the tail gets stuck.)
Serpent Lunge: Dalamadur hisses before striking at the player. (34% of damage, light knock back.)
Skyward Dive: Dalamadur rears up before diving down destroying part of said arena with it's mouth wide open. (39% of damage, heavy knock back.)
Meteor Impact: Summons several meteors falling down. (Meteor does 43% damage, medium knock back)
Laser Blast: Dalamadur shoots a gigantic laser at the player from it's mouth. (55% of damage, critical knock back)
(Note: In it's Shah form the attacks do more damage.)

------------
Setting of Boss Fight

Speartip Crag (The entire arena gets destroyed over time, and it's pretty big for enough room.)
------------
Boss Intro

The player's character is on the mountain itself when they see a rock spire falling down as a large serpentine monster circles said player, it coils around a large spire with said monster revealing to be Dalamadur itself who lets out a loud earsplitting roar.
------------
Half Health (Phase 2)

Dalamadur starts thrashing around before letting out a cry as it falls over the edge crashing on the ground off-screen, suddenly a flash of bright light appears with the Elder Dragon jumping out of the ground in it's Shah form coiling around said spire and does a louder angrier roar.
------------
Boss Defeat

The Elder Dragon now battered and damaged struggles to stay standing as it lets out one last roar before crashing on the ground which collapses taking half the mountain with it.
------------
Who fights it in Classic Mode?

:ultbanjokazooie: (Banjo/Kazooie think that Dalamadur is guarding a Jiggy to take.)
:ultkirby: (Battle of the century, both Kirby and Shah Dalamadur are pretty much god tier.)
:ultyoshi: (Both are reptilian, same with snakes)
:ultridley: (Dragon fight!)
:ultpokemontrainer: (Red mistakes Dalamadur for a Dragon/Fire or Rock Legendary Pokemon to catch.)
:ultpikachu: (Electric type v.s Dragon/Fire or Rock type.)
:ultmarth: (Mistaken for Grima.)
:ultpiranha: (Plant v.s Animal)
:ultolimar: (Gigantic creature to take down.)

------------
Where it's found in the Light Realm?
Dalamadur is found in a new sub-area named "Mt. Elder" with Elder Dragons as Spirits and the Serpent King himself at the highest peak of said mountain.
------------
Theme of Boss Fight

MH4: Dalamadur-Part 1
MH4: Dalamadur-Part 2 (When it turns into Shah form at half health)

Finished it! (Tried my best.)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Wanted to shoot an idea to you guys.

What if in addition to our regular judges, every week we found a guest judge to help out with the round? This person could be knowledgeable on the round and add a little variety to the grades. The judge also wouldn't have to worry about commitment, so we could consistently have a fourth judge without worrying if they'd quit or not.

No idea if we'd ever actually go through with something like this, but I thought I'd at least see if you guys thought it was a good idea.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

What if in addition to our regular judges, every week we found a guest judge to help out with the round? This person could be knowledgeable on the round and add a little variety to the grades. The judge also wouldn't have to worry about commitment, so we could consistently have a fourth judge without worrying if they'd quit or not.

No idea if we'd ever actually go through with something like this, but I thought I'd at least see if you guys thought it was a good idea.
That is actually a pretty cool idea! I'd love guest judges to come on here!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Yeah…would I be okay to guest judge if a topic doesn’t interest me?

D

Deleted member

Honestly speaking we may need to implement that.

As for the Round 6 grades, I'm going to give it one more day to see if the 3rd judge gets their grades in. Otherwise we'll just work with what we have.

D

Deleted member

The 3rd judge managed to get their grades in. So it's time for Round 6 grades!

psb123's grades:

Sunnycide by GolisoPower GolisoPower

Utilization: 5/5

You know, when people talk about the idea of a stage in Smash Bros. from the Mario & Luigi games, the most common suggestions are Inside Bowser and the Dream World. And I prefer the latter because I fear that a stage based on Bowser's Insides would gross me out. And with the world of light area here being Yoob's belly, I fear the same thing.

Still, it is a clever idea for a new area. Especially given the Bowser's Inside Story spirits that also appear here. Solid list of classic runs too. Though I don't know why Young Link expects to find the Wind Fish's Egg in what's essentially Jabu Jabu's Belly.

Creativity: 9/10

Is that uses of hatching Yoshi's from the eggs to aid you in the fight pulled from the fight with this guy in the source game? I haven't played Partners in Time yet so I don't know. Either way though it's a nice twist that adds a unique flair to this fight. My only gripe? The amount of attacks for both stances could stand to be a little bigger.

Balance: 10/10

I don't really see much issues here. Damage and knockback are pretty reasonable on both sides. Fair amount dealt by Sunnycide, fair amount dealt by the player. Even with the Yoshi boost.

Overall Score: 24/25

Culex by Mamboo07 Mamboo07

Utilization: 3/5

I like the idea behind the World of Light area but it's very weird that Culex is not fought by any Mario Characters despite being a Mario boss. Even though he's in Final Fantasy style his game of origin is still a Mario Game. Realistically speaking you could have replaced the runs of Kirby, Fox, Ganondorf, and Link with those of Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser and everything would have worked out great.

I like how he has the crystals backing him up like in the source game. And he's got a wide variety of attacks pulled from said source game as well. Pretty nice.

Balance: 1/10

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until you get it down. You have GOT to balance those damage percentage's better. Look at the bolt of and lightning orb attacks from the wind crystal. That's the kind of thing you should be aiming for. All of the other attacks are far too powerful. And to a more serious degree than your past entries on top of that.

Overall Score: 13/25

Fawful by TKOWL TKOWL

Utilization: 4/5

There's no information about the World of Light area. The classic modes are nice though. A little low in terms of overall amount but I've seen worse.

Creativity: 10/10

Given how Fawful adds more to his arsenal as he takes more damage, it kind of reminds me a boss fight within a Mario & Luigi game. Maybe that's my lack of experience with the series talking, but I like that little tidbit.

Balance: 8/10

Not too bad. But there's bound to be some trouble caused from trying to hit a flying enemy that small.

Overall Score: 22/25

Hooktail by Kevandre Kevandre

That's a really good World of Light area. I especially like how you can fight all 3 variations of this boss there for different spirits. Speaking of those boss variations........

I like how you can fight Gloomtail or Bonetail at higher intensity levels. But I like even more the references this pulls from her battle in Thousand Year Door. Healing by eating the audience, said audience being able to give stat boosts, and the use of the beetle to emulate the effects of the cricket badge. That last one in particular is really clever.

Bonetail's breath can put you to sleep or reverse you controls. Yikes. But I won't take points off for it because, well, you wouldn't be fighting Bonetail in the first place if you weren't looking for a challenge. He's supposed to be the hardest form after all.

Overall Score: 25/25

Way to go! You've received the fourth perfect score I've given in this contest!

Super Dimentio by THE SLOTH THE SLOTH

Dang! You did not skimp on the details good sir! Or is it ma'am? Anyhow, solid lineup of classic runs. And man, the attention to detail for the Castle Bleck area in World of Light. And that new ability the spirit of Super Dimentio has is honestly pretty busted in some ways.

It certainly the captures the craziness of both the fight and character of Dimentio. And I like that small touch of being able to KO Luigi if you're quick enough. And mean enough. Nicely done.

I don't really see anything wrong here. None of the attacks are an overly dangerous threat but it's not like you can just breeze through this fight without a care in the world either.

Overall Score: 25/25

Way to go! You've received the fifth perfect score I've given in this contest! Man, I wonder how often this is going to be a two per round thing.

Cosmic77's grades:

"Sunnycide" by GolisoPower:

There's not a remote chance we'll get an area as specific and random as Yoob's belly, but it's still a very fitting area for your boss. Nice selection of Classic characters as well.

Creativity: 7/10

Well, it's certainly unique, albeit a very strange choice for a boss. I like how you incorporated the eggs and Yoshi's from the battle and tied them into your boss fight. Very close to the orginal.

On the flipside, it does seem like you made a moveset entirely from Sunnycide's existing attacks. Would've like at least one or two orginal attacks.

Balance: 9/10

Knockback can be a little hard to understand, as I don't know the knockback of every attack from the top of my head. Still, you did technically get specific, which is something I want when looking for balance. Damage values seem withing reasonable limits, and I can't think of much to critique. Good work.

Overall Score: 21/25

"Culex" by Poochy756:

The reason why I'm giving you a "3" has nothing to do with WoL (which was fine. No complaints there). You have a Mario boss who isn't fought by any Mario characters, despite Mario, Peach, and Bowser all being playable characters in the game it originated from. That's something I have an issue with

I...guess this counts as a Mario boss? Not who I would've gone with, but it's your submission, not mine.

Anyways, the crystal gimmick was unique. I'm not sure how I feel about making the enemy stronger when the crystals are taken down, but nothing like that has been implemented in a boss before, so...

Balance: 1/10

Man, you have got to work on your damage values for your attacks! These aren't even close to being fair and reasonable. I counted eight different attacks that go over 50%, and there's one that even goes over 80%. That's waaaaay too much, even for Culex's strongest attacks!

On top of this, you pointed out yourself that you left out knockback. Can't even think of giving full credit without those.

Overall Score: 13/25

"Fawful" by TKOWL:

"The pitable fink rats who face me in the mode of Classic are like insignificant gnats flying toward the bug spray of their demise! It brings me chortles!"

"However, the World full of blinding Light feels barren and unused. It's potential is untapped, like bottled water taken from a filthy stream of disappointment."

"I shine, like a dime thrown to the bottom of a mini mall water fountain that sprays glory! The glory of Fawful!"

"My precious protective pod of precious protectiveness was snatched from my marvelous debut in the Saga of Superstars, as well as my headgear too. The glorious Dark Star Laser was taken from the Inside Story of the king of stupid, Bowser! My nasty obedient minions are filled to the brim with the essence of Fawful. They are unique beyond understanding. Do not try to comprehend their might, fink rat!"

"My attacks are orginal as well as inspired, like a middle-aged artist who paints lustrous gold on a canvas of riches! I am the artist, and my attacks are the gold! The gold of your doom!"

Balance: 6/10

Okay, back to me again.

You left out both the damage and the knockback which are crucial to your score. Doesn't help that your boss is so tiny either.

Overall Score: 20/25

"Hooktail" by Kevandre:

Excellent use of incorporating Hooktail's older brothers into Classic. That felt really orginal and creative. Also like the list of characters you came up with. Your concept for WoL was also a noticeable improvement from last time. Well done altogether.

Creativity: 7/10

I really like the audience getting involved in the fight. However, Hooktail's attacks feel a little generic. I know that's literally how she attacks in the games, but stomping and breathing fire isn't that hard to imagine coming from a dragon. Maybe add a few more of your own attacks next time.

The fire attack seems a little too powerful, but I'll let it slide. You have knockback and damage, and that's what I wanted more than anything else.

Everything else looks fine.

"Super Dimentio" by THE SLOTH:

I'm a little disappointed you didn't include more Mario characters for Classic mode. Would've been easier for you that way, and some of these character choices seem a little odd. Pichu, for example.

WoL is fine though. I would love to see Castle Bleck added on the map.

Creativity: 8/10

Not bad. I remember this boss fight well, and you certainly did a wonderful job of capturing it in Smash. I love how you implimented the moving platforms instead of making a flat stage.

Similar to what I said with Kevandre, the only thing I can crtitique are the reused attacks. Since this game is a platformer, it doesn't take that much effort to carry them over to Smash. They still function very differently from anything else we have in Smash though; I'll at least acknowledge that.

Knockback is good, damage from attacks is good, the layout is good. The only things that I feel like warrant a deduction are those projectiles from the platforms and the head being the only part you can attack. The projectiles were annoying as heck in SPM, but luckily you had plenty of ways to avoid them aside from just dodging. Options are a bit more limited with Smash, and I can see them getting in the way of the boss fight. The head is an issue because this boss fight was meant to be won by jumping on the head. Since you can't do that in Smash, this might make the fight difficult for fighters without projectiles.

Guh-Huzzah!'s grades:

Sunnycide by GolisoPower

This boss has only one issue with utilization. Some of the classic modes feel a bit out of place, specifically Young Link and Bowser. Everything else, such as the sub-area and the spirits that reside there are perfect, though I do think the sub-area should have been like the others, where you can go to it whenever you want, instead of doing it right before Dharkon.

I love how creative this boss is! His Sunnycide up and Sunnycide down mechanic is very interesting, and so is the egg mechanic.

While this boss is creative, he is very different from other bosses, and players may be overwhelmed, and confused as to what they should do, giving Sunnycide the advantage. Other than that, his damage output is balanced and everything, so he’s still great overall.

Culex by Poochy756

I do think the utilization could be improved. Maybe you could talk about which spirits appear in this darker realm, explain the visual aesthetics in more detail, etc.

In terms of creativity, this boss is great! I do think the arena could be a bit more creative, though.

Balance: 3/10
This boss’ moves are hard to avoid, and the damage output it way too high. The moves would need some heavy nerfing.

Overall Score: 15/20

Fawful by TKOWL

While the utilization for the most part is good, some of the classic modes feel a bit out of place, and we don’t know where he is in the WoL.

This boss is incredibly, creative, with all of the ways you can stun it, with the arena, and with the moves! I don’t really have any issues with it.

Balance: 7/10

The moves seem fine and easy to dodge, but damage isn’t listed, which is going to take off points. Try to remember to do that next time.

Hooktail by Kevandre

This boss never misses a beat here. The classic mode runs, sub-area, etc. Everything is just so well made. I can tell you put a lot of care into this.

This boss has so many ideas that a Smash Bros. boss hasn’t had before, yet it doesn’t feel out of place at all. Not sure what else I could say here.

The only issue I have with this boss is some damage outputs being just a little bit too high. Specifically the dragon breath attacks. I’d recommend lowering them slightly.

Overall Score: 24/25

Super Dimentio by THE SLOTH

While it is good overall, several classic modes feel out of place, and the sub-area in the WoL is inconsistent with the other sub-areas in the game.

Creativity: 8/10

This boss is like no other boss we have seen, yet he feels right at home. I do think that the creativity got a bit out of hand though. Specifically the boss gauntlet mode. It feels so out of place for Smash Bros, specifically where it is located.

Besides having one or two attacks with high damage outputs, the boss’ balancing is fine. Other than that, the battle is very fair.

Total Scores:

GolisoPower: 67 points

Poochy756: 41 points

TKOWL: 62 points

Kevandre: 71 points

THE SLOTH: 65 points

Hooktail
Wins

Nice Work Kevandre

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Congratulations, Kevandre! Your Hooktail Boss was amazing!

And to answer psb’s question, yes, the original boss fight has a Yoshi-freeing mechanic to it which I felt stood out for me.

I picked Sunnycide because I didn’t want to go into more spoilerific territory and I had no idea how to adapt other bosses like the Shrooboid Brat and Mrs. Thwomp. Then I found Sunnycide and thought, hey this could be a good boss.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Congratulations for winning this!
(I apologize for making Culex so overpowered and broken.)
By the way why is every time I do a boss fight, it ends up being overpowered and terrible. (Some of mine are not bad)

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Congrats, Kevandre Kevandre ! You did Hooktail pretty well, and putting in place the "Crazy Hand Effect", so to speak, of switching in the boss for a tougher variant of itself on higher difficulties is a nice touch, and I couldn't think of any better boss to put that idea to use with.

Two things I want to address with the judging, though. One, you don't have to hit Super Dimentio's head, his body's still vulnerable, it just takes less damage. A risk vs. reward sort of thing, where if you want to risk the vulnerabilities of being higher up and on smaller ground to deal more damage. Two, Boss Gauntlet's separate from the WoL area I mentioned earlier, it's a post-campaign mode seperate from WoL. I'm thinking of putting it at the end of my entries in the future, separate from everything else to prevent confusion.

As for the Capcom round, I was thinking of trying to be cheeky and making an Ace Attorney series boss, but I ultimately couldn't think up anything that would qualify. I'll hop in next round, probably.

And speaking of guest judges, I'd be down for helping with that sometime. I've considered being a judge now and then, although not sure how kindly people would take to one of the judges being a frequent participant as well, guest/temporary judge or otherwise.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yooo I'm glad that you guys liked my Hooktail boss. That one flowed so naturally when I was typing it up lol

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Mega Man X
SIGMA

1565312473749.png

Sigma is the main antagonist of the Mega Man X games. This fight is based on the original fight in X1. His boss fight is unique amongst the other bosses, as his arena is a traditional Megaman one, being completely boxed in. The boss battle is a Stamina battle, with you having 180 HP (150 in co-op classic). The arena’s floor is the length of FD, with the arena’s height is around 11 training mode blocks tall, enough for Mario to do his full recovery and just barely hit the top. The introduction is almost a perfect recreation of his intro from X1, with him vibrating onto the battlefield, throwing off his cloak, and activating his laser sword. He’s about the same height of Dracula phase one. His moves are mostly lifted from X1, with a few new ones sprinkles in.

Dash and Slash: This attack is lifted from X1. Sigma dashes in the direction of the player, and if he touches them he swings his sword, dealing 19%. If he doesn’t, he quickly goes back to his default stance. This is usually his first attack.
Beam: The gem on Sigma’s forehead starts glowing. After about a second, 5 beams of light home in on the player. They deal 6% a hit. They can be reflected and Pocketed
Defensive Stance: Sigma puts his sword in front of him. This deals no damage, but blocks almost everything and reflects weak projectiles. He can only use this attack once per 15 seconds.
Wall Climb: Sigma starts jumping across the walls to try to attack the player. He goes from one wall to the next, progressing upwards. If he runs into the foe it deals 15%. If the opponent is below him, he starts going downwards, still jumping from wall to wall. unless...
Downwards Strike: Sometimes Sigma might swing his sword downwards and fall, if the opponent is directly below him when doing Wall Climb. He’s especially likely to do it if the opponent is on or near a wall The crash downwards deals 18%. It deals relatively little shield damage. This has no reference, and primarily exists to surprise the player who is likely expecting it to be a direct port of his X1 fight, where wall camping was the ideal strategy
Ryuenjin: Sigma’s other new attack is a recognisable sword attack from the X series. Sigma’s saber turns red and he jumps upward, dealing 20% if it connects. He can do this standalone or as part of Wall Climb, once again adding to the surprise factor.

Sigma is a relatively frail boss, having about the same amount of health as Dracula phase 1. Once defeated, his body explodes, with parts ricocheting everywhere. His head flies to the background, where it… settles onto something. The background lightens up, revealing that the fight isn’t over!
1565312983112.png

Sigma’s second phase is against a giant mech. The only parts of it that are intractable are the head (which is much more vulnerable in this game, due to the existence of Up-Airs) and the hands (which act as platforms). You get healed 50% before this phase starts. Unlike in X1, he can be hit by most attacks in this phase. He takes less damage from air attacks, encouraging you to climb onto his hands.

Claw Swipe: Sigma sends one of his hands towards the fighter. If it lands, it deals 15%. The hand stays in place for a few seconds, letting the player hop on it to have a better shot of hitting Sigma, like in X1.
Palm Lightning: The palm of one of Sigma’s hands glow. A bolt of lightning glows through it, going both above and below where the palm is. There’s a very small part on the hand, where if you stand on it you won’t get shocked. It deals 21%.
Fire: Sigma’s head breathes Fire. It covers the center of the arena. It deals 13%
Beam: Sigma fires beams, similar in appearance to the ones from Phase 1. They act like fire, covering more range but dealing less damage (11%) and being easier to dodge
Ice: Sigma’s first new attack is inspired by his dog, Velegurder. From the palms of his hands, Sigma shoots ice balls. He can angle them, and deal 15% if connected.
Downwards Drop: Sigma drops his hands downwards, damaging anyone below them. Due to the fact there are spikes on the bottom of his hands, which traditionally OHKO Mega Man characters, the attack deals a lot of damage (33%).

Sigma Phase 2 has about as much health as phase 1. Once defeated, his body starts falling apart, finally being defeated for good (or at least until the next game). His battle theme is a medley of his various battle themes. In World of Light, you find Sigma' boss fight by beating 2/3 or more of the Dark Realm bosses. This opens up a secret passage in Galleon's sub-area, with a few spirits based on MMX mavericks, and eventually Sigma. The characters who fight him in classic mode are
:ultmegaman: (replaces the Galleom fight, not Dr.Wily/Alien)
:ultroy: ( Sigma phase 1 uses a Sword)
:ultdarkpit: (Sigma is a Reploid, a robot created in the mirror of Megaman X)
:ultbayonetta: (Sigma was formerly a protagonist, fitting her theme of characters that have fallen from grace)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright guys. Round 7 is now closed. See you on Sunday with the grades for it.

D

Deleted member

I don’t have time to get a proper round start post going here. But Round 8 has begun and it’s Donkey Kong bosses.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Now this round I will do

Haven't had a chance to make it yet, but I will

D

Deleted member

I don't know guys. I'm thinking about bringing this to an end. I feel like the same flare the stage contest had just isn't there. For me, the contestants, and the judges.

I'm not making the final decision just yet, but I am considering ending this contest.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I don't know guys. I'm thinking about bringing this to an end. I feel like the same flare the stage contest had just isn't there. For me, the contestants, and the judges.

I'm not making the final decision just yet, but I am considering ending this contest.
I understand... Thanks for your help.
(I will be waiting and being patient for next round or something.)

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend

That’s a shame, but I understand perfectly. Pity, though, because I had an idea for a boss battle against Seath the Scaleless from Dark Souls. Maybe we can turn this into a regular boss creation thread?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
GhastlyKingBoss.png

Boss Name:
Ghastly King

Game of Origin:
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

What Does This Boss Do?:
Ghastly King is a giant boss who rivals Ganon, the Demon King in terms of size. Ghastly King has a weak spot on top of his head that, if landed exactly right, will knock the giant Kong down, leaving him open to attacks before he can get back up. Additionally, hitting him with a powerful enough attack can knock him into the other side of the stage, just like with some attacks in Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. Also, if you time a grab on his feet, you automatically do a Forward throw that knocks Ghastly King into the side of the screen for additional damage.

Ghastly Kick: Ghastly will perform either a low kick or a high kick, both attacks dealing 14% damage and as much knockback as Hero’s F-tilt.
Ninja Sweep: Ghastly will perform a sweep kick that can trip up the opponent and deal 10% damage. Landing this is always followed up with Ghastly Swipe, seen below.
Ghastly Swipe: Ghastly will perform a claw swipe that deals 12% damage and as much knockback as Hero’s Swoosh. This can be preceded by landing Ninja Sweep.
Ghastly Ball: Ghastly will hurl a large green ball at the opponent. He can shoot two to three consecutively and are angles towards the player’s current position. Each one deals 16% damage and as much knockback as Samus’ Charge Shot.
Ghastly Jump Kick: Ghastly will jump upwards and perform an aerial downwards kick on the opponent. The move does a whopping 18% damage and meteor smashes.
Dread Counter: Ghastly will assume a stance and any attacks that land on him will be immediately countered for 1.25x the damage and knockback. This is not a reflect.
Karate Roundhouse: Ghastly will jump upwards into the air and perform three consecutive roundhouse kicks. The attack does a total of 30% damage with as much knockback as Ken’s Heavy roundhouse.
Sumo Stomp: Ghastly will lift his leg upwards, then stomp on the ground, creating a wave of debris around him that deals 20% damage and as much knockback as Cloud’s Blade Beam. If the player is under his foot when he stomps, the attack will deal 1.5x the damage and bury.

Boss Setting:
The fight takes place in a large white cave with greenish hues covered in mushrooms. The fight begins with the player using an attack to destroy the stream of red fire used by the Final Butapoppo that Ghastly rides on before dealing a brutal F-air to it. Ghastly King then jumps upwards and squashes his former mount before letting out a loud roar and taking them head-on. When Ghastly King is defeated, the screen will momentarily invert colors. The camera will then pan as Ghastly King lets out a final pained roar before falling down towards the ground, defeated.

Where Is This Boss Found?:
In World of Light, the Light Realm has a new area called the Star Fruit Kingdom, which takes place nearby the planetoids that you access with the Great Fox. Oddly enough, the area opens to a Japan-esque course which then leads into an asteroid belt portion of the level. After plowing through many jungle-based Spirits such as Ninjapes and Helibirds to space-based Spirits such as Xenoblade 2’s Artifice Siren and Astral Chain’s Chimeras, you take a meteor housing the Jungle Beat Kongs Spirit before plummeting into a mushroom-riddled cave where Ghastly King resides. After you defeat him, you can go through the exit, which takes you to the mushroom field where you find Olimar.

In Classic Mode, the following fighters can fight Ghastly King:
:ultdk:: Better give this guy another jungle beating!
:ultkirby:: He rules 16 Fruit Kingdoms?! Sign him up!
:ultbowser:: That red fur isn’t helping his problem.
:ultken:: Ghastly can be considered Donkey Kong’s rival.
:ultkrool:: Donkey Kong villains are going to face off!
:ultincineroar:: That belt Ghastly’s wearing means he’s a champion!

Considering this might be the final round of this Boss contest, I thought I'd end it off here. Ghastly King (Or more specifically Cactus King, his predecessor) was a boss I actually imagined as character in Melee at one point, even though it was already out at the time, because the thing just screamed awesome to me.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
(I decided to do a boss even though i didn't want to.)
Mad Jack.jpg

Boss Name:
Mad Jack (A little detail is that his springs get tangled up more and more when you damage him.)

Game of Origin:
Donkey Kong 64

What does this boss do?:
Mad Jack will retreat in his box and jump on several platforms to crush you a couple of times before popping up, you can only attack his head while doing damage to his body does nothing. His weakness is when a switch that's the same colour on a platform he's standing on, that's your chance to electrocute and stun him for a while. (He jumps from the background to foreground to attack, same with the player.)

Mad Jack's Attacks:
Fireball: Mad Jack shoots a fireball from his mouth. (23% damage and much knockback as Kirby's Hammer)
Laser Eye: Mad Jack fires a laser out of his eye. (15% damage and much knockback as Yoshi's Egg Roll)
Sucker Punch: Mad Jack throws a punch stretching his arm out. (31% damage and much knockback as Ganon's Warlock Punch)

Spring Twist: Mad Jack twists his body before spinning fast with his arms stretched out. (44% damage and much knockback as Dedede's Jet Hammer)
Bite: Mad Jack lunges at the player stretching his body out and bites them. (51% damage and much knockback as Ridley's Space Pirate Rush)

Invisible Jump: Mad Jack turns invisible and tries to squash the player several times. (61% damage and much knockback as Bowser's Bowser Bomb)
Note: About the Sucker Punch attack, if you get hit Mad Jack cackles and laughs or if you dodge it said fist comes back and socks him in the face to stun Jack for a while.

Setting of Boss Fight:
Frantic Factory

Boss Intro:
The player's character is seen walking through a large metal door before standing on one of the platforms. Said platforms elevate and a colourful box falls out of the ceiling chute which leaps closer to the player and stops on a blue square next to you, the box grows in size and Mad Jack himself emerges from said box and laughs insanely at the player as his laser eye lights up.

Boss Defeat:
Mad Jack who is now charred from being electrocuted a lot is standing on a platform which retracts to the ground leaving him standing on air for a while, realising the situation he's in, he waves good-bye before crashing to the ground with his springs flying out.

Who fights Mad Jack in Classic Mode?:
:ultdiddy:: Reference to Tiny Kong.
:ultpiranha:: Nature V.S Machinery

:ultrob:: Both are toy like.
:ultluigi:: Mad Jack is freaky looking.
:ultyoshi:: Both are green.
:ultbanjokazooie:: Looks like something out of Banjo-Kazooie. (Funnily enough, Rare did create Donkey Kong 64.)
:ultkirby:: Kirby has nothing against this insane jack-in-the-box. (Reminds me of a
certain traitorous cosmic jester...)

Where is he found in the Dark Realm?:
Mad Jack is found in a sub-area named "Freaky Factory" with toy based and creepy Spirits along with Mad Jack himself at the end. (Not much about this.)
Done! (Yet again tried to not make it so broken and powerful)
Also here's a fun fact about Mad Jack himself:

"Mad Jack was originally supposed to be a mini-boss called Junk-in-the-Box, had a design resembling a human clown, and was supposed to be fought in the R&D Room in Frantic Factory. Later in development, the Toy Monster became the new mini-boss for this world, while Mad Jack became the world's main boss." This is what Mad Jack looks like before he was the boss of Frantic Factory below.
Junk.jpg

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Maybe if we do end the contest, the last round will be an "anything goes" round so everyone can submit their ideal boss.

All the same, I can see why you'd decide on that. I personally don't feel like I have as much creative freedom with the bosses as we did with the stages so I'm not as into this one as I was before. Plus just a post-smash release world. Isn't as exciting as a pre-smash release world and I think that's a factor too

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712

Sorry to hear that, although I suppose it was inevitable, just didn't think it would be this soon. If you end up running contests for something similar, like aforementioned stages, items, assist trophies, etc., let me know! This was ton of fun, I enjoyed it while it lasted/am enjoying it while it lasts.

Maybe if we do end the contest, the last round will be an "anything goes" round so everyone can submit their ideal boss.
I second this idea, if you didn't have anything else planned for the final round. I was going to submit to this round with something but didn't feel too inspired, so I'll wait for our final round and prepare something with more quality and effort to finish strong.

D

Deleted member

I like the idea of giving one last “Anything Goes” Round before inevitably changing this into just a boss creation thread like Perkilator suggested. But I don’t know if that’s really feasible. I haven’t even received all the grades for the Capcom Round yet.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
BAD BOSS BOOGIE
(Donkey Kong Country)

1565809488718.png

I was having a hard time picking a Donkey Kong boss. Jack from DK64? I used him in the stage contest (And now someone else has used him anyway). K. Rool? He's playable that doesn't work... Big walrus boi? Maybe...

But at the end of the day, my favorite DK game is DKC on the SNES, so that's where I landed. Which boss? Obviously not K. Rool, but... why not the rest?

The general stage is exactly as it is from the original game- Big banana room, with a tire in the middle any character can use to get decent height.

The gist of this boss fight is a randomized boss rush-style fight. The original game had four different types of bosses (Two of which were repeated for a total of six boss fights + K. Rool at the end); Necky, Gnawty, Queen B, and Dumb Drum.

The idea is that you will be facing three of these bosses, in a random order. In fact, you also have a small chance of running into Necky Sr and Very Gnawty, as well...

First up, Necky:

1565809766022.png

Necky is a big bird who comes in from the side to vomit nuts at you from the sides of the screen. He appears initially at the top of either side of the screen, but will also occasionally appear near the bottom. He spits the nuts out at you, which bounce on the ground until they're off screen on the opposite side. Each nut will do 10% damage if they impact you, and have moderate knockback. At higher percentages, this can be a lot of knockback though so watch out, and don't get hit in the air by it!

Deal 50% damage to Necky for him to crash to the floor and make sad bird sounds.

If you get the small chance of Necky Sr showing up instead, his nuts do 25% damage and more knockback! He will also take 75% damage to take down instead of 50%.

1565809952857.png

Next up is Gnawty the beaver. Gnawty will do many hops across the stage (Unaffected by the tire). He doesn't do a lot of knockback, but if he jumps into you while you're close to the edge of the stage, you might be in trouble! He tramples for 15% damage as well!

Same deal as Necky, 50% and he's done. Very Gnawty has a small chance of appearing instead of Gnawty, who will deal more knockback than regular Gnawty, and takes 75% to take down.

1565810068667.png

Queen B is up next, and she works the same as from the original game as well- she'll fly across in a straight line at the top or bottom of the stage, and sometimes she'll do a zigzag pattern! If you touch her body you'll be dealt 15% damage and some moderate knockback, but if she gets you with the stinger? Let's say, you don't want that. You'll take a whopping 40% damage and spiked to the ground! Though it's completely avoidable. In fact, you'd basically have to be jumping into her stinger to be hit by it.

And what's this? Your attacks don't seem to work?

Yes, she is invulnerable to regular attacks, and will only take damage from projectiles! Certain characters will find her an easy boss if they can attack from afar, but when she's around, the barrel item will appear and you can chuck it at her to do some damage! There's a decent chance that they're exploding barrels too, so that'll rack up the percentage real quick!

After 50%, she's done.

1565810289745.png

The final boss is Dumb Drum, and he's easy enough. He just comes down from above (Very telegraphed). If he hits you from directly above, you'll be buried in the ground! You can take a lot of damage from this boss if you aren't careful, but he won't launch you unless you come from the side at him.

He will also shake out some random enemies from within himself that you must take out. Snakes, and Kremlings, just like in DKC. They don't do a ton of damage on their own but they can if you aren't careful. They must also be defeated before you can continue.

Like Queen B, he can't be damaged, but don't worry- Dumb Drum is just an endurance test like in the original game. Avoid Dumb Drum and he'll eventually break like he does in DKC.

And that's it!

In World of Light, an extra spirit area is unveiled in the Donkey Kong Island area where you can fight these guys.

In Classic mode, the higher your difficulty level, the higher the possibility percentage is of getting the harder bosses as well.

These guys fight the Bad Boss Boogie in Classic:

:ultdk: - Of
:ultdiddy: - Course
:ultkrool: - They do
:ultbanjokazooie: - A Rare boss indeed
:ultvillager: - Has experience with bees
:ultolimar: - Used to fighting large animal fellas
:ultbowserjr: - "I'm the king of being the bosses before the final boss!"
:ultrichter: - "I'm pretty sure that oil drum is possessed..."
:ultlucas: - "No, I've seen weird things like that before, it's probably some sort of chimera"

And that's actually it this time. I hope you enjoy.

D

Deleted member

Alright here's the plan. Grades for the Capcom round are in. So I'll grade that soon. Then we'll grades the Donkey Kong Round like normal after it ends, and next week we will do an Anything Goes Round. After that this thread will become a boss submission thread.

D

Deleted member

The Donkey Kong Round is done. Next week will be Anything Goes. And then this will be a boss creation thread.

D

Deleted member

Yup. Anything Goes begins today. Don't let the name fool you though, It still has to be a boss that originated from a video game. And the game in question needs to have a character that's been on a Nintendo System.

Other than that, go nuts.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
5800ADB5-C36F-4F40-9942-4F7247905033.png
Boss: Seath the Scaleless

Game of Origin: Dark Souls (2011)

What does the boss do?
-Crystal Breath: Seath fires a laser across the floor, and crystals spawn from it (22% from the laser; 10% from the crystals; medium knockback)
-Claw Swipe: Seath swipes with his left hand (12% damage; medium knockback)
-Pierce Grab: Seath grabs the player. If they don’t break free, Seath fires his laser at them, and then drops them on the ground (45% damage; no knockback)
-Tail Slap: Seath attacks with any of his two tails as you attack them (17% damage; small knockback)
-Crystal Smash: Seath charges up his fists and slams them, and crystals skid across the ground from both sides of his hands. (26% damage; medium knockback)

Setting/Intro: The very depths of the Crystal Caves. Because of his massive size, Seath only attacks from the center. Although you’re mainly supposed to attacks his body, you can attack his tail for items, just like in the original game. His intro is identical to the one he has in Dark Souls, as is his defear

Who fights this boss in Classic Mode?
Essentially, I figured him as a hypothetical situation if Seath was a boss instead of Monster Hunter’s Rathalos. So here’s the characters who fight him:
-:ultdarksamus: (Phazon-looking thing)
-:ultyoshi: (Jurassic-looking thing)
-:ultzelda: (Medieval monster)
-:ultmarth: (Dragon)
-:ultshulk: (resemblance to a Telethia)
-:ulthero: (Dragon; plays Battle for the Glory)

Where would this boss be in World of Light?
A...Dark Souls themed level in the Light Realm? Idk enough about Dark Souls to make one up

Music: Seath the Scaleless (New Remix by Motoi Sakuraba)

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You guys thought I went overboard with the Blight Ganons? Well, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet! For the final round, I’m pulling out every. Stop. Imaginable.

Boss Name:
Gargos

Game of Origin:
Killer Instinct Gold

How Does This Boss Work?:
Gargos. The Shadow Lord of Killer Instinct is just as powerful as he is menacing. Standing 1.5x taller than Dracula Phase 1, he is nothing short of an imposing figure. He also hits like a truck, fitting of his power. In addition, unlike other bosses, he has an exclusive yellow meter, his Instinct Meter, underneath his health. As Gargos takes damage, this meter will fill up. When the meter is full, Gargos, at any point in the match, will activate his Instinct mode, listed below. There's also another function, also listed below. What also makes him unique is that he doesn’t act like a Smash Bros boss, or even a Smash Bros character. The way his AI functions makes it seem like Gargos is still fighting in Killer Instinct, and not Smash Bros at all, dealing his home game’s flashy combos and just generally acting like a traditional 2D fighting game boss.

Quad Jump: Gargos can jump up to four times, each jump an opportunity to go in any direction.
Basic Attacks: Gargos has a set of basic attacks that he uses normally.
  • Light Standing Punch: Gargos does a simple jab, dealing 2% damage and hitstun.
  • Light Standing Kick: Gargos performs a knee jab in front of him. Deals 3% damage and hitstun.
  • Light Aerial Punch: Gargos performs a lunging chop at an upwards 5 degree angle. This deals only 2.5% damage and hitstun, but can knock the player out of the sky.
  • Light Aerial Kick: Gargos does a light kick similar in appearance to Mario’s N-air, but angled downwards a 10% angle. This deals 3% damage and hitstun.
  • Light Crouching Punch: A backhand slap. Deals only 1% damage, but has great hitstun.
  • Light Crouching Kick: Gargos lifts his leg up and performs a simple kick with it. This deals 3% damage and hitstun.
  • Medium Standing Punch: Gargos lets loose a horizontal claw swipe. Deals 6% damage on hit and hitstun.
  • Medium Standing Kick: Gargos performs a thrust kick similar to Ganondorf. Deals 7% damage on hit and hitstun.
  • Medium Aerial Punch: Gargos performs an upwards claw swipe. Deals 4% damage and hitstun.
  • Medium Aerial Kick: Gargos performs an aerial side kick similar to Ryu and Ken’s B-air. This deals the same damage and knockback as Medium Crouching Kick, seen below.
  • Medium Crouching Punch: Same as Medium Punch.
  • Medium Crouching Kick: Gargos performs a crouching side kick similar to Ryu’s Heavy Down-tilt. Deals 6% damage and hitstun.
  • Heavy Aerial Punch: Gargos swoops downwards and rams head-first into the player. This deals 10% damage and upwards knockback equivalent to normal Climhazzard. When hitting the ground with this, Gargos will just land on the ground.
  • Heavy Aerial Kick: Gargos performs a hefty flap of his wings in front of him, creating a gust of wind that pushes him away. The move deals only 6.5% damage and very little knockback, but the windbox is very similar in force to Pac-Man’s Fire Hydrant.
  • Heavy Crouching Punch: Gargos performs a rising claw swipe. This deals 7% damage and as longer hitstun. Also knocks down the player if airborne, leaving them helpless.
  • Heavy Crouching Kick: Gargos sweeps the ground in front of him with his wing. This deals only 5% damage and trips the player, but the range is absolutely immense, reaching out four Bowsers from Gargos.
  • Forward Throw: Gargos grabs the player, then uppercuts them. This deals 10% damage and as much knockback as Joker’s F-throw.
  • Backward Throw: Gargos pulls the player behind him, then uppercuts them. This deals 8% damage and as much knockback as Cloud’s D-throw.
Flame Breath: Gargos breathes a large stream of fire in front of him, dealing 18% damage and .75x the knockback of Kazap. The range of this move is double that of Zapple.
Scorn (Gargos’ Heavy Standing Punch): Gargos smashes his fists together, creating a burst of energy in front of him that deals Stagger, which stuns the player and causes them to involuntarily stumble backwards. This deals 8% damage but no knockback.
Insolence (Gargos’ Heavy Standing Kick): Gargos will smash the ground and create a pillar of dark energy, dealing 10% damage and as much knockback as Palutena's Up Smash at half charge. This also nullifies all projectiles and reaches the top of the screen.
Mocking Laugh: Gargos throws his head back and lets out a hearty evil laugh, healing 10% of his total health. This can't be used in succession.
Oblivion: Gargos will summon a portal in front of him and throw a punch into it, the punch automatically tracking the player no matter where they are on screen. This can be dodged and is very telegraphed, but if the first punch lands, Gargos will unleash a combo fitting of Killer Instinct, punching from in front, behind above or below. Doing it from above meteor smashes the player if they’re airborne. There’s also just enough time between summoning the portal and throwing the punch to avoid it before it comes out.
Reckoning: Gargos will rocket forwards like a swirling bullet of energy. This can be done in a straight in front or diagonally. Regardless of direction, Reckoning deals 12% damage on hit and as much knockback as Luigi’s Green Missile. Sometimes he can go upwards and through a portal before creating a portal above the player’s position and slamming them overhead for 20% damage and hard knockdown.
Eternal Reckoning: A variant of Reckoning, but in the air. The main differences are that he can do it diagonally or straight downwards, and can do it twice in any of those directions. Shares the same damage and knockback values.
Devil’s Divide: Gargos will leap forwards and attempt to lift up the player. If he grabs the player, he can do any of the following:
  • A single headbutt. This deals 4.5% damage.
  • A single gut punch. This deals 5.5% damage.
  • A knee to the gut. This deals 6.5% damage.
  • Sadistic Hurl: Gargos will throw the opponent in front of him, dealing 9% damage.
  • Sadistic Appetite: Gargos will consume a portion of the player’s soul, adding more to his Instinct meter. This does not deal damage.
  • Sadistic Intent: Gargos will let go of the opponent, leaving them open to more attacks. This does no damage.
  • Sadistic Drop: Gargos will fly upwards into a portal while carrying the player, then slam them back onto the stage. This deals a good 12% damage and leaves the player on the ground.
Minions: Gargos will channel power and summon two minions simultaneously, Izzik and Dretch. After a few seconds of staying on the battlefield, Izzik and Dretch will be shrouded in a purple mist. This means their special attack will be ready to use with Gargos’ Kill Command, seen below. Gargos can also attack his minions using Devil’s Divide to immediately able their special attack, or use Sadistic Appetite to consume them for Instinct meter. Gargos can also let go of them after attacking or throw them towards the opponent like a projectile. Gargos cannot summon minions again for 30 seconds after both are dead.
Izzik: Izzik is a slow-moving, trident-wielding minion that will poke the opponent for 6% damage and hitstun. He can also angle it upwards. He can be defeated in two hits, regardless of damage value. The trident itself has the same range as Marth’s Shield Breaker. Izzik’s special attack has him spin in place with his trident outstretched to deal a total of 16% damage and as much knockback as Ridley’s F-tilt.
Dretch: Dretch is a pudgy, fast-moving minion that will run around the stage and tackle the opponent for 8% damage and hitstun should they be nearby. Unlike Izzik, Dretch can be defeated in three hits, regardless of damage value. Dretch’s special attack has him jump upwards offscreen before plummeting towards the player’s position, meteor smashing if airborne and dealing 12% damage on hit.
Minion Command: With minions out, Gargos can command his minions with the following commands:
  • Cover: Gargos will command his minions to stay near him.
  • Creep: Gargos will command his minions to stay near the player.
  • Kill: Gargos will command his minions to use their special attack if they’re able to.
Shadow Moves: Gargos has enhanced versions of some attacks called Shadow Moves. These are slightly more powerful and can be extra dangerous in the right circumstances.
  • Shadow Oblivion: Gargos will release 15 consecutive punches at a rapid pace. The damage value doesn’t change.
  • Shadow Reckoning: Gargos will fly forwards and deal 1.25x the normal damage over 5 hits.
  • Shadow Devil’s Divide: Gargos will fly forwards and grab the opponent. Gargos will then fly upwards through a portal and plummet down through a portal loop before ending it and dealing 1.5x the normal damage.
Stoneskin: When Gargos’ Instinct Meter is full, he can cover himself with stone, giving him super armor against moves that deal less than 20% damage in exchange for halved movement speed and being able to jump. However, there is another function: at any point, Gargos can cause the Stoneskin to explode all around him with a full-screen hitbox that deals 8% damage and hitstun, prematurely ending Stoneskin and halving any Instinct he had at the time of the explosion.
Shadow Lord: If Gargos has 50% Instinct meter, Gargos will instantly revive with 50% of his health bar remaining. This cannot be used more than once.
Ultra Combo: If the player is over 100% damage, Gargos, at any point in a combo, will perform his Ultra Combo from Killer Instinct ‘13 to instantly kill the opponent.

Boss Setting:
Gargos is fought in the Astral Plane, a lone blue platform in the middle of space. At the start of the battle, the opponent will be met with Izzik and Dretch, who attempt to intimidate them before a portal is summoned and Gargos walks out. Both minions go through the portal before Gargos growls, “Kneel to your god,” and entering his battle stance. Throughout the match, both sides have access to the famous Killer Instinct C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER! The Combo Breaker is both sides’ means to escape getting further damage from a combo. The player can attempt to perform a Combo Breaker just by using Perfect Shielding in the middle of a Combo. However, as implied, Gargos can Combo Break as well, making this a strategy to work against you. During the battle, Gargos' Battle Theme from KI '13 will play in the background. When Gargos is defeated, Shadow spirits will start erupting from his chest as he lets out a pained scream before he explodes, his physical form gone for good.

Where Is This Boss Found?:
The boss is found in the Astral Plane, a new area in Dharkon’s World. The Astral Plane is vast and filled with Spirits of interdimensional monsters ranging from Dragon Quest’s Malroth and Persona’s Jack Frost to Kirby’s Void Termina and Super Mario RPG’s Culex. An interesting aesthetic of this area is that all puppet fighters fought here are neither Galeem’s nor Dharkon’s. They’re Gargos’ puppet fighters, green-skinned Mimics that have replicated the shape of the fighters. In the background as you progress, Galeem’s and Dharkon’s puppet fighters are doing battle against Gargos’ minions. When Gargos himself is defeated, the minions will be driven off by Galeem and Dharkon’s forces.

In Classic Mode, the following fighters can do battle against Gargos:
:ultlink:: C’mon. He’s the Shadow Lord.
:ultsamus:: Gargos looks monstrous enough.
:ultluigi:: Gargos looks hella scary.
:ultness:: Gargos being an interdimensional conqueror is a slight reference to Giygas himself being a conqueror.
:ultzelda:: Gargos is very evil. What more need be said.
:ultfalco:: Gargos is pretty dark.
:ultpokemontrainer:: A reference to the rumored Gen 8 Legendary Pokemon Eternatus, who is said to be pure evil.
:ultlucas:: Gargos has lots of magic.
:ultkingdedede:: Gargos is the Shadow Lord. Sounds royal enough.
:ultolimar:: Gargos is kind of a space-traveler.
:ultryu:: Gargos is an evil fighting game character, much like M. Bison. Hell, Reckoning looks so much like Psycho Crusher!
:ultjoker:: Gargos, being a godly final boss, is in a way similar to the final boss of Persona 5.
:ulthero:: Fought in the final battle. Though you still fight Robin beforehand, the giant purple Charizard you fight is replaced with Gargos himself.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Crap, my image for my entry is busted. Help please.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. It's working.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Don't feel like participating in this round. But that's okay
(Might do one later.)

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Polar Knight
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
1566327853590.png

One of my favorite contributions to the old Stage Contest was my stage based on Shovel Knight's Lich Yard level- I was and am very proud of that one and think it might be the best of what I submitted for that contest.

As we're winding this Boss contest down, I was wondering what I should do for the anything goes round. I was tempted by all sorts of things... But I kept thinking about that Lich Yard level and knew that I should probably do another Shovel Knight related thing.

I went over several ideas. The Enchantress, with a floor that could be destroyed? Intriguing but probably too tough. Plague Knight, with a similar feature but a firm floor at the bottom? I came close to making it. Propeller Knight? With his fanciness? Probably not.

In the end, I didn't actually exert a lot of effort in the mockup of this stage. Photoshop through teamviewer at work is laggy and not easy to use (And I'm still devoting all my home time to Fire Emblem, Cactus Corps, and sleeping). What I landed on was Polar Knight. Shovel Knight's former ally with a mysterious past.

Polar Knight is one of the last of the Order of No Quarter that Shovel Knight faces in his journeys. And his level in that original game is by far the most aesthetically pleasing to look at in the entire thing. I knew I had to use it. So let me break down how Shovel Knight faces Polar Knight in the original game, because the fight will be basically identical in Smash Bros.

The battlefield on first glance is just a flat snow covered area, with walk-offs. Not unusual for Smash boss stages.

Polar Knight's got many attacks.

The first one is that he scoops up a big snowball with his plow-shovel and rolls it across the stage. This has minimal knockback but can hit you multiple times for 5%. If you aren't careful in getting out of the way, it can plow you right off screen!

Another attack is Polar Knight will do a similar thing with his shovel, and yeet three smaller balls that fly in an arc toward you in different angles. Again, these have minimal knockback but are faster than the big ball and each do 7% damage.

Sometimes, Polar Knight will use his shovel and run across the ground gathering snow, plowing right through you. If you get hit with this attack you'll take 15% damage and be knocked upwards. After he finishes his run, he'll use the snow he's gathered to do one of the two above attacks.

Another attack has Polar Knight jumping into the air and descending where you are standing. You can avoid this, but you must be quick! When he lands on the snow there, the snow will be destroyed and spikes will remain where the impact was. The spikes will do very small knock-up and 4% damage. It's easy to take multiple hits trying to get off the spikes so it's easier just to avoid them altogether. Polar Knight's attack where he throws the snow at you can also cover the spikes back up with snow, so use that attack to your advantage to have more terrain. The spikes do not hurt Polar Knight.

Polar Knight will also sometimes kick snow in front of him, which will do a temporary slow on your character, but will also similarly cover the aforementioned spikes.

You might think it a good idea to attack Polar Knight from above? Sure, it's a good tactic... temporarily. If you spend three seconds attacking him from above (With Link's Down A, for example), he'll lift his shovel above his head to protect himself and also thrust upwards, which does significant knock-up, but only 10% damage.

One last attack he has is stomping the ground, which will have icicles fall from above. These icicles will do 8% damage if hit by them, but no knock-back. They will also cover the spikes with snow if it touches them.

Deal enough damage to him and he's done.

I had this whole idea about World of Light having Shovel Knight themed levels that would fit in well with a Subspace Emissary-type map, culminating in a fight against Polar Knight, perhaps while the Order of No Quarter watches.

Classic Mode:

:ultvillager: - I know a thing or two about shovels!
:ultdarkpit: - Reluctant villain?
:ultrob: - A fighter clad in metal (Though I guess ROB is plastic... Is canon ROB plastic? Or metal?) fights Polar Knight
:ultwiifittrainer: - You look like you need a workout!
:ultdk: - Another Snowmad?!
:ultpacman: - Polar Knight makes many white circles... Pacman loves to eat white circles....
:ulticeclimbers: - FINALLY another ice person!
:ultfalco: - Mostly because I want more people with reflectors to go against Polar Knight lmao
:ultincineroar: - Bigboi Fire vs Bigboi Ice
:ultmegaman: - Shovel Knight seems very Megaman inspired to me. Others say Castlevania but I get more Megaman out of it.
:ultrichter: - ...but all the same

And that's it! My final Boss Contest creation! While I didn't put a ton of time into the mockup, I still think this would be a rather FLY boss for Smash. I just want more Shovel Knight stuff in the world tbh. If not for Fire Emblem Awakening and Mario Odyssey, Shovel Knight would probably be my favorite game of this decade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom