• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Boss Creation Thread

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Congrats to Perkilator Perkilator for winning this round!
Ominous ancient chants of congratulation

It seems most of my points were knocked off when it came to the arena layout. I’ll try to make that less intrusive next time! Although I kinda wish we could’ve heard from the other judges too, complications happen, hopefully they can chip in for Round 5.

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 6!

Winning the Strawpoll at 5 votes. Round 6 is............................

Mario RPG Bosses

Kind of funny how this round started shortly after Arlo got that Remaster Thousand Year Door Hashtag going isn't it? Anyway.

Super Mario RPG
The Paper Mario Series (Including the ones that are debatable as RPG's like Super Paper Mario and Color Splash)
The Mario & Luigi Series

Any boss from any of these games is what's allowed for this round. But bosses from any other Mario game are ineligible.

And they have to based on their appearance in the RPG's. The Goomba King from the Original Paper Mario for example. He was also in Super Mario 64 DS (Under the name Goomboss for some reason) but if you submit him, he has to be based on his appearance in Paper Mario. Not Super Mario 64 DS.

And with that, on Mondya, July 29th 2019, Round 6 has begun. You have until Friday, August 2nd to submit entries.

Good Luck!

D

Deleted member

Round 7 Strawpoll

Taking the place of Mario RPG Bosses on the poll is now Kid Icarus Bosses.

Which leads into a little preview of rounds to come.

Outside of additional Mario and Sort of Mario rounds, like bosses from Smaller Mario games and the Wario games, Kid Icarus is pretty much the only Nintendo franchise left that I am currently of the opinion has enough to work with as it's own round.

Fire Emblem?
Earthbound?
Pikmin?

Games like these don't seem to be as plentiful in boss battles. That or they're a bit on the obscure side to warrant being their own rounds.

Which is why we're combing those 3, as well as bunch of other Nintendo games like Golden Sun and The Wonderful 101, into a Misc. Nintendo Bosses round. Sure that's not on the poll yet, but it will be at some point.

As for those 3 rounds I needed contestant input on?

Persona X Shin Megami Tensei Bosses has been doing surprisingly well on the polls. So I'm going to keep it around and hope for the best.

I am gong to scrap the standalone Final Fantasy round though. There was no practically no input on that. And since it kind of already happened, I won't keep it around.

Dragon Quest didn't get a lot of input either, but I'm going to wait a little longer before I decide to scrap that round. I really do need people to say if they have something for this round though. If that doesn't happen and it doesn't do well on the polls, it will be scrapped.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
1564429068486.png

(Got a little lazy in terms of visualization, but since I'm using Luigi in Classic Mode, imagine this but minus the babies and replace the M&L UI with the Smash UI. It's pretty close enough, right?)

Boss Name:
Sunnycide

Game of Origin:
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

What Does This Boss Do?:
The Sunnycide Boss is a large boss that relies on a wide variety of egg-based attacks, while still being durable himself. At the start of the battle, Sunnycide has a barrier of five eggs in front of him. Break the eggs, and you’ll release Yoshis that will help push a Chomp Rock. Break them all, and the Yoshis will push the Chomp Rock on top of Sunnycide, knocking him down and dealing depleting 5% of his health. The eggs can take 30% damage before breaking. He has different attacks for each stance. You can attack the yolk inside Sunnycide for 1.5x damage regardless of which stance he uses, although Sunnycide Down makes it much easier. Meanwhile, the shells that mostly compose his body will only reduce that damage to 0.5x.

Sunnycide Up:
Egg Vacuum: Sunnycide can breath in heavily, creating a windbox that sucks the player inwards. The attack can be interrupted by attacking the yolk, but failing to counterattack in time will instead deal 13% damage from a bite, with knockback equating to that of Incineroar’s Revenge-boosted Jab.
Egg Throw: Sunnycide will grab the eggs surrounding and aim them at the player. He will do this until all eggs are used, dealing 10% damage and 1.2x the knockback as Yoshi’s Egg Throw. He will not throw any eggs that have just been replenished by Egg Drop.
Egg Drop: Sunnycide will jump high, then stomp on the ground, creating a tremor that drops any eggs to replace the ones that have been shattered by the player or by himself. The eggs themselves can deal 8% damage with .5x the knockback of Samus’ full Charge Shot while the stomp can bury opponents and deal 20% damage.

Sunnycide Down:
Lights Out: Sunnycide will pull a string and partially obscure the screen with darkness. Meanwhile, a Boo will hone in towards the player. The lights will come back on when the Boo is close enough, and when he is, the Boo will immediately whizz towards the player, dealing 10% damage and as much knockback as Link’s Remote Bomb. The Boo, however, can be destroyed with any hit before he can deal any damage.
Hole in One: Sunnycide will pull a chain and create a large hole in the floor with a meteor hitbox slightly above it. When the move hits you, you will be meteor’d and take 13% damage upon hitting the floor.
Hop Up: Sunnycide will hop up back up and return to Sunnycide Up stance. The initial landing can deal 20% damage and bury on impact.

Boss Setting:
The fight takes place near the end of the digestive tract of the large Shroob monster called Yoob, where he resides. The player will attempt to run out of the Yoshi-like monster, only to stop in front of Sunnycide, who roars in challenge before jumping upwards with a few eggs and landing in front of the player. Upon defeat, Sunnycide will start exploding in a shower of stars before vanishing while any remaining eggs he has will release the Yoshis within. The music that plays during this battle is the Boss Theme from Partners in Time.

Where Are They Found?:
After clearing one of the subareas in the World of Darkness, you will arrive in the center only to be ambushed by the massive Yoob, who will devour you with its massive tongue. Yoob’s Belly is a new subarea of the World of Darkness, and recreates the puzzles found inside the beast in Partners in Time. The Spirits that reside there are mainly Shroob Spirits reside there, such as the Shrooboid Brat, Dr. Shroob, Shroob Rex and Commander Shroob, but there are more Spirits that are based on different things from across the Mario and Luigi series, such as Blorbed Toads, Cackletta, Dark Bowser and the Hooskis.

In Classic Mode, the following can face off against Sunnycide:
:ultyoshi:: Payback for what the Shroobs did to your brothers.
:ultkirby:: Eggs everywhere to eat!
:ultluigi:: Partnered with :ultmario:. A reference to the Mario & Luigi games. Also, it's a giant egg monster!
:ultpeach:: She’s not staying captured by the Shroobs!
:ultbowser:: Partnered with Bowser Jr. Pink is a kind of lightish red!
:ultpichu:: He wants to be hatched from an egg, dangit!
:ultyounglink:: Wait...this isn’t the Wind Fish’s Egg!

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Fire Emblem?
Earthbound?
Pikmin?

Games like these don't seem to be as plentiful in boss battles. That or they're a bit on the obscure side to warrant being their own rounds.
I actually disagree with you here. All three have plenty of material to go off of for a boss fight.

Besides, we already know EarthBound can have a boss. Porky got in Brawl, despite coming from a game exclusive to Japan.

D

Deleted member

I actually disagree with you here. All three have plenty of material to go off of for a boss fight.

Besides, we already know EarthBound can have a boss. Porky got in Brawl, despite coming from a game exclusive to Japan.
I suppose. But the obscurity problem might still be a thing.

But this contest thrives off of the contestants so I guess I'll them.

Do you guys think you'd have something to submit for each of these series if they were their own standalone rounds?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

I think it's more that the games are a little more niche, not that the games themselves don't have potential. There'll be less interest in a standalone FE or Earthbound round, but combining them works out

D

Deleted member

View attachment 232839
(Got a little lazy in terms of visualization, but since I'm using Luigi in Classic Mode, imagine this but minus the babies and replace the M&L UI with the Smash UI. It's pretty close enough, right?)

Boss Name:
Sunnycide

Game of Origin:
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

What Does This Boss Do?:
The Sunnycide Boss is a large boss that relies on a wide variety of egg-based attacks, while still being durable himself. At the start of the battle, Sunnycide has a barrier of five eggs in front of him. Break the eggs, and you’ll release Yoshis that will help push a Chomp Rock. Break them all, and the Yoshis will push the Chomp Rock on top of Sunnycide, knocking him down and dealing depleting 5% of his health. The eggs can take 30% damage before breaking. He has different attacks for each stance. You can attack the yolk inside Sunnycide for 1.5x damage regardless of which stance he uses, although Sunnycide Down makes it much easier. Meanwhile, the shells that mostly compose his body will only reduce that damage to 0.5x.

Sunnycide Up:
Egg Vacuum: Sunnycide can breath in heavily, creating a windbox that sucks the player inwards. The attack can be interrupted by attacking the yolk, but failing to counterattack in time will instead deal 13% damage from a bite, with knockback equating to that of Incineroar’s Revenge-boosted Jab.
Egg Throw: Sunnycide will grab the eggs surrounding and aim them at the player. He will do this until all eggs are used, dealing 10% damage and 1.2x the knockback as Yoshi’s Egg Throw. He will not throw any eggs that have just been replenished by Egg Drop.
Egg Drop: Sunnycide will jump high, then stomp on the ground, creating a tremor that drops any eggs to replace the ones that have been shattered by the player or by himself. The eggs themselves can deal 8% damage with .5x the knockback of Samus’ full Charge Shot while the stomp can bury opponents and deal 20% damage.

Sunnycide Down:
Lights Out: Sunnycide will pull a string and partially obscure the screen with darkness. Meanwhile, a Boo will hone in towards the player. The lights will come back on when the Boo is close enough, and when he is, the Boo will immediately whizz towards the player, dealing 10% damage and as much knockback as Link’s Remote Bomb. The Boo, however, can be destroyed with any hit before he can deal any damage.
Hole in One: Sunnycide will pull a chain and create a large hole in the floor with a meteor hitbox slightly above it. When the move hits you, you will be meteor’d and take 13% damage upon hitting the floor.
Hop Up: Sunnycide will hop up back up and return to Sunnycide Up stance. The initial landing can deal 20% damage and bury on impact.

Boss Setting:
The fight takes place near the end of the digestive tract of the large Shroob monster called Yoob, where he resides. The player will attempt to run out of the Yoshi-like monster, only to stop in front of Sunnycide, who roars in challenge before jumping upwards with a few eggs and landing in front of the player. Upon defeat, Sunnycide will start exploding in a shower of stars before vanishing while any remaining eggs he has will release the Yoshis within. The music that plays during this battle is the Boss Theme from Partners in Time.

Where Are They Found?:
After clearing one of the subareas in the World of Darkness, you will arrive in the center only to be ambushed by the massive Yoob, who will devour you with its massive tongue. Yoob’s Belly is a new subarea of the World of Darkness, and recreates the puzzles found inside the beast in Partners in Time. The Spirits that reside there are mainly Shroob Spirits reside there, such as the Shrooboid Brat, Dr. Shroob, Shroob Rex and Commander Shroob, but there are more Spirits that are based on different things from across the Mario and Luigi series, such as Blorbed Toads, Cackletta, Dark Bowser and the Hooskis.

In Classic Mode, the following can face off against Sunnycide:
:ultyoshi:: Payback for what the Shroobs did to your brothers.
:ultkirby:: Eggs everywhere to eat!
:ultluigi:: Partnered with :ultmario:. A reference to the Mario & Luigi games. Also, it's a giant egg monster!
:ultpeach:: She’s not staying captured by the Shroobs!
:ultbowser:: Partnered with Bowser Jr. Pink is a kind of lightish red!
:ultpichu:: He wants to be hatched from an egg, dangit!
:ultyounglink:: Wait...this isn’t the Wind Fish’s Egg!
Wait, the name of this boss is Sunnycide. And with that spelling, it's a play on Sunny Side Up eggs, and sui.................Oh that's dark.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I suppose. But the obscurity problem might still be a thing.

But this contest thrives off of the contestants so I guess I'll them.

Do you guys think you'd have something to submit for each of these series if they were their own standalone rounds?
If I'm being honest, I think you'll have better luck with those than you will with KI. If you're worried about those three, I can't see KI doing much better.

But I'll leave it up to the contestants. Maybe I'm overly familiar with those franchises.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Fire Emblem I'm kinda iffy on, since I don't know much from the series that could qualify for boss size except maybe Grima? But I could be entirely wrong. Earthbound and Pikmin, however, are prime material for bosses. I'd personally participate in individual rounds for these two series. KH I know nothing of, so I wouldn't have much interest in it, though.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Fire Emblem I'm kinda iffy on, since I don't know much from the series that could qualify for boss size except maybe Grima? But I could be entirely wrong. Earthbound and Pikmin, however, are prime material for bosses. I'd personally participate in individual rounds for these two series. KH I know nothing of, so I wouldn't have much interest in it, though.
Fire Emblem has some potential, but probably not as big as other series. Duma, Ashera, Anankos, etc.

However, let’s not include anything from Three Houses if we ever included a Fire Emblem Round, for spoilers’ sakes.

D

Deleted member

However, let’s not include anything from Three Houses if we ever included a Fire Emblem Round, for spoilers’ sakes.
That right there is the entire reason why if we do have a standalone Fire Emblem Round, it won't be for a while. Gives a chance for the spoiler potential to die down.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Culex.png

“I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future... I consume time... And I will consume you!”
Boss Name
Culex
-------------
Game of Origin

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)
-------------
What does this boss do?

The interesting thing about this boss that he can do things to your screen e.g randomly flipping it or glitching out and many more, and you can destroy one of his 4 crystals to make him get stronger and aggressive.
-------------
Culex's Attacks
(I'm not doing the knockback cause of me forgetting it many times)
Meteor Blast: Summons a giant meteor to hit you. (62% of damage)
Dark Star: The giant star crushes you. (71% of damage)
Flame Stone: A fiery ball falls on the battlefield. (65% of damage)
Tail Stab: Strikes you with his tail. (81% of damage)
Now for the 4 crystals he has:

-------------
Earth (2nd strongest)
Boulder: An avalanche of rocks tumble down. (78% of damage)
Sand Storm: A massive sand storm appears and blows you away. (0% of damage, cause it's wind)
Storm: A large electric column zaps you. (69% of damage)
Water Blast: Spouts of water appear with an steam explosion finishing off. (42% of damage)
-------------
Fire (Strongest crystal)
Flame: A single fireball comes at you. (11% of damage)

Flame Wall: A giant wall of fire engulfs half of the screen. (45% of damage)
Corona: A giant yellow orb appears and rotates several light beams. (52% of damage)

Drain: A stream of flames appear. (51% of damage)
-------------

Water (2nd weakest)
Ice Rock: A chunk of ice drops from above. (32% of damage)
Blizzard: A snow storm appears sending ice shards at you. (29% of damage)
Crystal: Summons 3 large crystals. (35% of damage)

Solidify: Several crystals burst from the ground. (39% of damage)
-------------
Wind (Weakest crystal)
Lightning Orb: A whitish-blue orb floats towards the player engulfing them. (15% of damage)
Bolt: A single bolt of lightning strikes you. (12% of damage)
Electroshock: Sparks fall down and a lightning strike appears. (23% of damage)
Static E!: A massive blue shimmering wave covers the screen. (20% of damage)
--------------

Setting of boss fight
A shadowy void.
--------------
Boss Intro
The screen starts to glitch and flash as a crack appears with Culex coming out, he laughs evilly and folds his arms.
--------------

Boss Defeat
Culex who reminds as his top body with his tail and crystal torso along with wings gone, he lets out a scream before vaporising into nothing.
--------------

Who fights him in Classic Mode?
:ultkirby: (Clash between two gods, cause Kirby's pretty powerful.)
:ultpit: (Mistaken for Hades.)
:ultfox: (Battle in space.)
:ultbayonetta: (Bayo thinks he's a demon.)
:ultganondorf: (Dark figures battling each other.)
:ultlink: (Mistaken for a evil dark force.)
:ultcloud: (Reference to Final Fantasy due to Culex's appearance and crystals would fit in.)
:ultkingdedede: (Thinks Culex's one of those monsters from NME or whatever you call it.)
--------------

Where is he found in the Dark Realm?
After defeating Dharkon a new sub-area opens up named "Shattered Reality" that has inter-dimensional spirits and Culex himself at the end.
All done! (OH COME ON!? I FORGOTTEN THE KNOCK BACK AGAIN! WHY THIS MUST HAPPEN TO ME!)

Last edited:

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice

FAWFUL
MARIO & LUIGI SERIES

fawfulboss1.png

Hailing from Superstar Saga as a sidekick to Cackletta and serving as the main antagonist of Bowser's Inside Story, Fawful is the most recurring boss fight of all the Mario RPG original characters. Fighting him in the ruins of the blown-open halls of Peach's castle, the background swirls with darkness and the atmosphere is fitting of a grand battle. Compared to every other boss, Fawful is much smaller than any of them, being barely taller than Luigi. He still doesn't take knockback like normal boss fights, and what else makes him unique besides his size is the sheer variety and somewhat strangeness of his attacks as he zips around the stage. He can be a bit annoying, but beating up his small stature can be satisfying in its own right. His attacks include:

Ray Gun: Fawful readies his one-handed gun, then fires one or two rounds, then hops backwards. The rounds position in a half-crescent formation, requiring players to either jump over them to avoid the damage and little knockback, or attack the largest glowing star at the beginning of the trail to dissipate the shot.

Orbs of The Dark: Fawful floats up slightly, surrounded by dark magic, and opens up four holes: two of these Fawful will fire dark spheres into, and two of them, spread away from him, the spheres will exit out from. Paying attention to which entry and exit hole is which and where he fires them is the utmost importance.

Headgear Summon: After one or two initial attacks, Fawful raises his arm and calls from the sky his iconic Headgear, immediately strapping it on and rising to the skies. Fawful now has aerial mobility on his side, boosting across the skies with the Headgear's jetpack. Chase him down and hit him enough for the Headgear to break off, putting him back on the ground. Hitting the Headgear itself instead of Fawful will speed up this process.

Fink-Rat Bullets: This attack is used in Fawful's Headgear mode from time to time. The mouth on top of the Headgear will open and charge a green orb, which will either be fired high or low, mostly targeting the player's current position. Sometimes the Headgear will make a larger bullet and charge for longer, and this is indication that a flurry of spread bullets is coming: try to hide under or behind Fawful in this situation.

Call Minions: Fawful whistles loudly, and two random Fawful minions will appear, from a pool of three:

Fawful Guy- This little guy will clamber around and try to chase the player slowly, either falling over or jumping with a headbutt. The weakest of the minions and can be defeated with little issue.

Mechawful- This large robot lumbers slowly around, but has beefy HP and can deliver powerful punches. If you are able to whittle away its health, it sparks a bit and then explodes as its head flies up, so watch out for that. If you're lucky, you can even get the flying head to whack a flying Fawful, immediately grounding him and putting him into a stun!

Chain Chawful- From an indicator on either side of the screen, this large brainwashed Chomp rushes through the stage, dealing large damage and knockback. However, if you are able to smack the worm on top before it strikes you, the Chomp will retreat early. Rarer than the other two.
Pod of Protection: brought out when Fawful begins taking more damage, he retreats into a large metal dome shaped like his head, in which he is impervious to attacks for awhile. Attack the pod to break it open, but be careful, as during this time the eyes on the pod can fire out long lasers forward. Fire-element attacks such as Roy's Blazer or Mario's forward smash will do more damage to the pod, and with enough it might overheat and burst, causing Fawful to be stunned on the ground.

Dark Star Laser: Used as Fawful's desperation attack when below 30% HP, the skies turn even darker as Fawful summons the Dark Star from the background, as it begins to charge a massive laser. Where the laser will strike on the stage will be indicated by a glow, so run away from it, lest you want to take humongous damage.

When defeated, Fawful begins to explode into stars in the classic Mario & Luigi boss pattern, as his body fades into the dark. His normal theme is a conglomerate remix of Fawful's Theme, Cackletta Battle, and The Grand Finale.

For all the bosses I'm submitting for this. I'm imaging they'd be a part of a new arena-like mode from the Kirby games, where you fight both old and new bosses in succession. However, I would also add this boss retroactively into a new World of Light map, and replace Master Hand fights in some other character's routes with this, most notably:

:ultpeach:- Fights against her kidnapper throughout the entirety of Bowser's Inside Story.
:ultpichu:- Pichu's route has it fighting all the lightest opponents in the game, and Fawful is the smallest boss in the game.
:ultfalco:- His classic mode theme is "Soaring Over The Darkness", and who better than a villain that flies around and uses dark magic?
:ultwiifittrainer:- Fawful is a little plump, so it kinda fits with Wii Fit Trainer's genocide against the tubby in this route,
:ultbowserjr:- As Bowser's path is strictly limited to a theme of red, Bowser Jr. fighting Fawful is a good stand-in, and also represents his struggle with the villain in the Bowser Jr.'s Journey section of the BIS remake.

D

Deleted member

Compared to every other boss, Fawful is much smaller than any of them, being barely taller than Luigi.
Uh oh. That's a risky route to take. As said in the opening, it could lead to a boss being disqualified. Key word there being "could". Let's take a look here.

*Reads through the whole post*

You cut it REALY close with this one. But as this interpretation of Fawful is taller than he probably would be if he was playable, I'll let it slide this time.

Perkilator

Smash Legend

FAWFUL
MARIO & LUIGI SERIES

View attachment 233008

Hailing from Superstar Saga as a sidekick to Cackletta and serving as the main antagonist of Bowser's Inside Story, Fawful is the most recurring boss fight of all the Mario RPG original characters. Fighting him in the ruins of the blown-open halls of Peach's castle, the background swirls with darkness and the atmosphere is fitting of a grand battle. Compared to every other boss, Fawful is much smaller than any of them, being barely taller than Luigi. He still doesn't take knockback like normal boss fights, and what else makes him unique besides his size is the sheer variety and somewhat strangeness of his attacks as he zips around the stage. He can be a bit annoying, but beating up his small stature can be satisfying in its own right. His attacks include:

Ray Gun: Fawful readies his one-handed gun, then fires one or two rounds, then hops backwards. The rounds position in a half-crescent formation, requiring players to either jump over them to avoid the damage and little knockback, or attack the largest glowing star at the beginning of the trail to dissipate the shot.

Orbs of The Dark: Fawful floats up slightly, surrounded by dark magic, and opens up four holes: two of these Fawful will fire dark spheres into, and two of them, spread away from him, the spheres will exit out from. Paying attention to which entry and exit hole is which and where he fires them is the utmost importance.

Headgear Summon: After one or two initial attacks, Fawful raises his arm and calls from the sky his iconic Headgear, immediately strapping it on and rising to the skies. Fawful now has aerial mobility on his side, boosting across the skies with the Headgear's jetpack. Chase him down and hit him enough for the Headgear to break off, putting him back on the ground. Hitting the Headgear itself instead of Fawful will speed up this process.

Fink-Rat Bullets: This attack is used in Fawful's Headgear mode from time to time. The mouth on top of the Headgear will open and charge a green orb, which will either be fired high or low, mostly targeting the player's current position. Sometimes the Headgear will make a larger bullet and charge for longer, and this is indication that a flurry of spread bullets is coming: try to hide under or behind Fawful in this situation.

Call Minions: Fawful whistles loudly, and two random Fawful minions will appear, from a pool of three:

Fawful Guy- This little guy will clamber around and try to chase the player slowly, either falling over or jumping with a headbutt. The weakest of the minions and can be defeated with little issue.

Mechawful- This large robot lumbers slowly around, but has beefy HP and can deliver powerful punches. If you are able to whittle away its health, it sparks a bit and then explodes as its head flies up, so watch out for that. If you're lucky, you can even get the flying head to whack a flying Fawful, immediately grounding him and putting him into a stun!

Chain Chawful- From an indicator on either side of the screen, this large brainwashed Chomp rushes through the stage, dealing large damage and knockback. However, if you are able to smack the worm on top before it strikes you, the Chomp will retreat early. Rarer than the other two.
Pod of Protection: brought out when Fawful begins taking more damage, he retreats into a large metal dome shaped like his head, in which he is impervious to attacks for awhile. Attack the pod to break it open, but be careful, as during this time the eyes on the pod can fire out long lasers forward. Fire-element attacks such as Roy's Blazer or Mario's forward smash will do more damage to the pod, and with enough it might overheat and burst, causing Fawful to be stunned on the ground.

Dark Star Laser: Used as Fawful's desperation attack when below 30% HP, the skies turn even darker as Fawful summons the Dark Star from the background, as it begins to charge a massive laser. Where the laser will strike on the stage will be indicated by a glow, so run away from it, lest you want to take humongous damage.

When defeated, Fawful begins to explode into stars in the classic Mario & Luigi boss pattern, as his body fades into the dark. His normal theme is a conglomerate remix of Fawful's Theme, Cackletta Battle, and The Grand Finale.

For all the bosses I'm submitting for this. I'm imaging they'd be a part of a new arena-like mode from the Kirby games, where you fight both old and new bosses in succession. However, I would also add this boss retroactively into a new World of Light map, and replace Master Hand fights in some other character's routes with this, most notably:

:ultpeach:- Fights against her kidnapper throughout the entirety of Bowser's Inside Story.
:ultpichu:- Pichu's route has it fighting all the lightest opponents in the game, and Fawful is the smallest boss in the game.
:ultfalco:- His classic mode theme is "Soaring Over The Darkness", and who better than a villain that flies around and uses dark magic?
:ultwiifittrainer:- Fawful is a little plump, so it kinda fits with Wii Fit Trainer's genocide against the tubby in this route,
:ultbowserjr:- As Bowser's path is strictly limited to a theme of red, Bowser Jr. fighting Fawful is a good stand-in, and also represents his struggle with the villain in the Bowser Jr.'s Journey section of the BIS remake.
Woooow! How many of these do you have? There’s no way you’re making so many in such short notice! (In a good way)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Hooktail

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door​

#RemasterThousandYearDoor​

1564604916024.png

Sorry about the delay on this one. I’ve been spending every non-work or sleeping hour I can playing Three Houses (MY GOD I LOVE IT SO MUCH). I couldn’t miss this round though since Thousand Year Door is one of my favorite ever games.

The first major boss of Paper Mario’s sequel, the Thousand Year Door, is Hooktail, a giant ladydragon who has been terrorizing a nearby Koopa village. Mario, along with his goomba assistant Goombella and his new Koopa friend Koops roll up to Hooktail’s castle to take care of business, and perhaps, find a crystal star.

Hooktail is a massive dragon so she doesn’t appear fully on the screen at any given time. And as such, she is quite scary up close. The fight takes place on the regular stage from TTYD, with a crowd of patrons cheering you on.

Hooktail has several attacks:

She might breathe fire on you, which deals minimal knockback, but deals 35% damage! This is avoidable by jumping or dodgerolling to the side as she does not breathe the fire for very long.

She might let you get a good look at the bottom of her foot (I hear many people pay good money for that, or at the very least this line makes it so that you don’t want to google Hooktail while you’re at work). If she stomps on you, it’ll do 15% damage and bury you in the ground for three seconds.

She will also swipe her foot across the screen which can knock you back quite a ways and do 15% damage.

When she only has 25% health remaining, she will disappear off the side of the screen and eat half the audience, resulting in the rest of them running away! She will regain health back to the 50% mark after this.

When she has 5% health remaining, she’ll attempt a last gambit of eating your character. How this works is you can avoid it by jumping or dodging, but if she gets you in her mouth you have to mash like you were grabbed by the beetle item from Zelda. You can escape if you mash enough, but if you don’t, you’ll lose a stock. She jumps back up to 10% health if this happens.

Though speaking of the beetle item, it will appear on this map on occasion! If you throw it at Hooktail, she won’t be damaged by it, but it’ll remind her of a bad cricket she ate a while back that made her stomach really upset, and she’ll take double % damage for ten seconds.

The crowd doesn’t just exist to be eaten, however. Prior to them leaving the scene, they can contribute to the fight. If you deal 30% damage to Hooktail consecutively without getting hit, you’ll get a temporary damage buff lasting ten seconds. Conversely, if you don’t deal damage to Hooktail for a fifteen second stint, they’ll give her the same boost.

Hooktail appears at the end of these classic mode routes:

:ultmario:: I’m just assuming Giga Bowser is removed
:ultpeach:: I feel like a different version of me wants you as a pet...

:ultgnw:: Flat bois unite

:ultbowser:: Rude, I’m his villain!

:ulthero:: I know a thing or two about a Quest and Dragons

:ultchrom:: Gotta put this ol Falchion to good use and it is +5 against Dragons

:ultlucina:: Same as above
:ultpokemontrainer:: I wanna catch it

However, depending on how well these characters do, they might not face Hooktail at all. She appears as the end-classic boss if you enter the boss fight at 8.9 difficulty or below.

If you enter the boss fight at 9.0-9.4, you’ll face her elder brother Gloomtail, in his domain behind the Thousand Year Door!

1564604972044.png

Forgive me for not doing a different mockup.

Gloomtail has mostly the same attacks as Hooktail, but he does 5% more damage on all her attacks and the beetle item does not appear. In addition, instead of fire breath, he breathes poisonous gas that still hurts you, but also does 2% damage over time every second for 7 seconds.

If you enter the boss fight at 9.5-10.0, you’ll face Hooktail’s eldest brother, Bonetail, in his lair at the bottom of the Pit of 100 Trials!

1564604948319.png

Bonetail has the same attacks as his siblings, though his gas breath attack will also randomize between putting you to sleep, reversing your controls, or slow on top of the burst damage and the damage over time. Instead of 5% more damage like Gloomtail as well, he does 10% more damage.

I had an idea for World of Dark for this as well- A whole Mario RPG area where you gotta attack the different strongholds of Hooktail and bosses from SMRPG and Mario & Luigi in order to recover the seven star spirits (from Paper Mario 64). The Gloomtail and Bonetail fights are also present, but optional, which give you really powerful spirits.

Phew~

I hope this is a good boss. I put a lot of passion for the original game into my entry, and I hope it came across.

If you haven’t played thousand year door you are absolutely missing out.

My original drawing was a little different. I always think Gloomtail's name is Blacktail so excuse my postit. And that I drew it on the back of next month's calendar from work. You'll notice that I always use the Paper Mario font "Hey Gorgeous" on it though so perhaps it is fortuitous. My coworkers seem to like it.

1564605425506.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hooktail

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door​

#RemasterThousandYearDoor​

Sorry about the delay on this one. I’ve been spending every non-work or sleeping hour I can playing Three Houses (MY GOD I LOVE IT SO MUCH). I couldn’t miss this round though since Thousand Year Door is one of my favorite ever games.

The first major boss of Paper Mario’s sequel, the Thousand Year Door, is Hooktail, a giant ladydragon who has been terrorizing a nearby Koopa village. Mario, along with his goomba assistant Goombella and his new Koopa friend Koops roll up to Hooktail’s castle to take care of business, and perhaps, find a crystal star.

Hooktail is a massive dragon so she doesn’t appear fully on the screen at any given time. And as such, she is quite scary up close. The fight takes place on the regular stage from TTYD, with a crowd of patrons cheering you on.

Hooktail has several attacks:

She might breathe fire on you, which deals minimal knockback, but deals 35% damage! This is avoidable by jumping or dodgerolling to the side as she does not breathe the fire for very long.

She might let you get a good look at the bottom of her foot (I hear many people pay good money for that, or at the very least this line makes it so that you don’t want to google Hooktail while you’re at work). If she stomps on you, it’ll do 15% damage and bury you in the ground for three seconds.

She will also swipe her foot across the screen which can knock you back quite a ways and do 15% damage.

When she only has 25% health remaining, she will disappear off the side of the screen and eat half the audience, resulting in the rest of them running away! She will regain health back to the 50% mark after this.

When she has 5% health remaining, she’ll attempt a last gambit of eating your character. How this works is you can avoid it by jumping or dodging, but if she gets you in her mouth you have to mash like you were grabbed by the beetle item from Zelda. You can escape if you mash enough, but if you don’t, you’ll lose a stock. She jumps back up to 10% health if this happens.

Though speaking of the beetle item, it will appear on this map on occasion! If you throw it at Hooktail, she won’t be damaged by it, but it’ll remind her of a bad cricket she ate a while back that made her stomach really upset, and she’ll take double % damage for ten seconds.

The crowd doesn’t just exist to be eaten, however. Prior to them leaving the scene, they can contribute to the fight. If you deal 30% damage to Hooktail consecutively without getting hit, you’ll get a temporary damage buff lasting ten seconds. Conversely, if you don’t deal damage to Hooktail for a fifteen second stint, they’ll give her the same boost.

Hooktail appears at the end of these classic mode routes:

:ultmario:: I’m just assuming Giga Bowser is removed
:ultpeach:: I feel like a different version of me wants you as a pet...

:ultgnw:: Flat bois unite

:ultbowser:: Rude, I’m his villain!

:ulthero:: I know a thing or two about a Quest and Dragons

:ultchrom:: Gotta put this ol Falchion to good use and it is +5 against Dragons

:ultlucina:: Same as above
:ultpokemontrainer:: I wanna catch it

However, depending on how well these characters do, they might not face Hooktail at all. She appears as the end-classic boss if you enter the boss fight at 8.9 difficulty or below.

If you enter the boss fight at 9.0-9.4, you’ll face her elder brother Gloomtail, in his domain behind the Thousand Year Door!

Forgive me for not doing a different mockup.

Gloomtail has mostly the same attacks as Hooktail, but he does 5% more damage on all her attacks and the beetle item does not appear. In addition, instead of fire breath, he breathes poisonous gas that still hurts you, but also does 2% damage over time every second for 7 seconds.

If you enter the boss fight at 9.5-10.0, you’ll face Hooktail’s eldest brother, Bonetail, in his lair at the bottom of the Pit of 100 Trials!

Bonetail has the same attacks as his siblings, though his gas breath attack will also randomize between putting you to sleep, reversing your controls, or slow on top of the burst damage and the damage over time. Instead of 5% more damage like Gloomtail as well, he does 10% more damage.

I had an idea for World of Dark for this as well- A whole Mario RPG area where you gotta attack the different strongholds of Hooktail and bosses from SMRPG and Mario & Luigi in order to recover the seven star spirits (from Paper Mario 64). The Gloomtail and Bonetail fights are also present, but optional, which give you really powerful spirits.

Phew~

I hope this is a good boss. I put a lot of passion for the original game into my entry, and I hope it came across.

If you haven’t played thousand year door you are absolutely missing out.

My original drawing was a little different. I always think Gloomtail's name is Blacktail so excuse my postit. And that I drew it on the back of next month's calendar from work. You'll notice that I always use the Paper Mario font "Hey Gorgeous" on it though so perhaps it is fortuitous. My coworkers seem to like it.

View attachment 233105
I like how even though I brought up Arlo's "Remaster Thousand Year Door" hashtag in the round starting post that it took until the 4th entry to actually get a boss from Paper Mario :p

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I like how even though I brought up Arlo's "Remaster Thousand Year Door" hashtag in the round starting post that it took until the 4th entry to actually get a boss from Paper Mario :p
It is the best Mario RPG series, after all

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
For two and a half games anyway lmao

Though... While I dislike Color Splash's gameplay, that game has probably the best dialogue in the series. So maybe we can call it a full three if half of Color Splash and Super count.

Whereas with M&L I only ever latched onto the original on GBA, and I could never get over SMRPG's art style tbh

D

Deleted member

So remember how I said that today was the deadline for grades on Kirby Bosses? Yeah, can't really judge that round when only one judge is ready to go.

We should have a total of two judges ready by tomorrow night according to judge discussion. But still, the wait continues.

Also we're down to 3 judges again. Good Guy Giygas has decided that judging bosses isn't for him. So he has resigned.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Super Dimentio
Super Paper Mario
SuperDimentio.png
In the dim, innermost chambers of Castle Bleck, something sinister is stirring. Luigi is standing around, turning around and looks rather confused as to why he's even here. Suddenly, a purple void cracks open in the fabric of reality itself, sucking poor Luigi right in! After a moment of suspense, a gloved, demented hand claws its way out from its depths. The behemoth puppet of the one once known as Dimentio rises, standing at his full height with distorted, maniacal, otherworldly sounding laughter as Super Dimentio is ready to put on a show you'll never forget!

The Stage Has Been Set!
Super Dimentio's arena is the innermost sanctum of Castle Bleck, an arena somewhat larger than Rathalos', but with the camera panned back a bit more. To reach his head, his main weakspot, you'll need to make use of the dozen or so platforms that scatter the arena, all of them about the same size as a Battlefield platform and moving slowly back and forth along a set, horizontal track. These platforms can be stood on by the player, but Super Dimentio will never land or be able to stand on them, and any of his attacks will go right through them as if they don't exist.

Properties
Super Dimentio is huge, about 3/4 the width of Final Destination and 1.4x taller than Ganon! He is an absolute behemoth, and every part of his body except for his head takes 0.4x damage, while his +-shaped limbs are entirely intangible. You'll have to make a climb up the aforementioned background platforms to reach Super Dimentio's head, all while avoiding his sinister showstoppers.

When not attacking or preoccupied with another action, Super Dimentio's head moves around slowly in different directions within a certain range, at first randomly, but then actively away from the player when his health gets low.

• When in melee-range, Super Dimentio will lift up one of his fists high into the air, aiming where the player's last horizontal position was, have it grow twice it's size, before letting it slowly drop to the ground with a slight screen-shaking THUD. It's relatively slow and easy to dodge, dealing 14% and punishing with a bury. Getting hit while in the air instead bounces them off the ground and a short distance into the air with weak-medium knockback.
  • A quicker variant has Super Dimentio track the player's position, as one of his fists swing around in the background before growing and coming in for a hook. Does 12.5% with surprisingly strong knockback for such a move, but it can be easily avoided with an air dodge or roll, and does light shield damage.
  • Super Dimentio's legs briefly bend, before he hops into the air straight up or at an arc. He'll travel slowly through the air, being super floaty, before landing. If any part of him hits the player during landing, they'll take decently strong knockback in the opposite direction and take 14.5% damage. He'll frequently use this move if the player moves out of his melee range, or if he has the player cornered against the edge of the screen. Super Dimentio will never jump out of the boundaries of the arena.
  • Bending low to the ground, Super Dimentio plants his hands on the ground and stays still for about a second before flying straight up and off the screen. A large yellow reticle with a red ! appears over the player along with a warning siren, and it quickly turns red before vanishing, and then Super Dimentio crashes down from above, wherever the player was last standing. Getting hit by the descending Dimentio results in 24%, a brutal spike, and heavy knockback that can kill of the top of the screen at mid-high percents.
  • Sometimes, a small yellow reticle will briefly appear on the player along with a warning beep, before one of the smiling platforms suddenly wears a scowl, and shoots a white, square pellet at the player's last position. It's a weak projectile that causes only minor flinching and does 3%. At first, this attack happens semi-frequently, with one of the platforms doing this at a time. However, the lower Super Dimentio's health gets, the more frequently do they attack, with sometimes up to 6 of the platforms shooting at you at once! On top of that, this attack triggers separate from Super Dimentio, and will happen whether he's doing his own attack at the same time or not.
  • Once 2/3 of his health is depleted, Super Dimentio will snap one of his hands (how can he do that with gloves on?), and a random 4-8 of the platforms will get struck with lightning (which is simply aesthetic and harmless to the player). A purple and yellow magical flame will light up and burn atop them for around 10 seconds, which does 13% damage and launches the player away similarly to lava if touched. The fires will eventually go out, but Super Dimentio will frequently trigger this attack again to make reaching his head harder.
Once defeated, Super Dimentio's body starts to explode over and over as he crumples to the ground, before his head falls off and continues to explode in a rapid fashion. He smiles bitterly, his laughter rings out once more, more intense and demented than ever before until not a single shred or ash of him remains. With the final explosion, a dazed Luigi pops out as well, in his shield break animation. Although it's not shown, he's set to be at 300%, so if you're fast enough, you can whack Luigi and KO him too before the screen fades to white... you jerk. The round clear screen will even show if you KO'd Luigi along with Super Dimentio.

Utilization
The following characters have Super Dimentio as their Classic Mode endboss, or have Super Dimentio appear in some form.
:ultluigi: - Being fused with Dimentio and the Chaos Heart is something Luigi would rather forget, but his worst nightmare has come back to haunt him. When playing as default Luigi, the Luigi in the cutscene will use one of Luigi's alternate colors, and this will even be reflected in the fight by changing the color of Super Dimentio's hat.
:ultpichu: - Not what you'd call a lightweight, but with his very floaty jumps he is certainly reminiscent of many lightweights.
:ultmewtwo: - Mewtwo learns that he's not the only one with a knack for brainwashing foes into becoming some of his most powerful allies. Although in this case, he doesn't exactly fuse with them. Still has Pikachu as his ally.
:ultmetaknight: - Minus the Chaos Heart and Dimentio's dominion over the demented puppet, Luigi/Mr. L is part of the concoction, two sides of the same coin.
:ultike: - Not only is Super Dimentio largely black, the entire arena is a solid black! Can't get any blacker than that.
:ultrobin:/:ultrobinf: - Super Dimentio's desperation attack involves magic, lightning, and fire. Additionally, the relationship between Luigi and Dimentio & Robin and Grima bares some similarities.

The theme that plays when fighting Super Dimentio is The Ultimate Show from Super Paper Mario.

In World of Light, once Dharkon has been defeated and The Final Battle area has been unlocked, and Luigi has been rescued, the void where Dharkon once was will be replaced with the void from Super Paper Mario. Entering it takes the player to an optional dungeon called Castle Bleck, and is modeled after the location of the same name. A long dungeon filled with brutal Spirits involved with darkness, or the end of the world/cataclysmic apocalypses. The dungeon is split into five areas, each modeled after the puzzles of Castle Bleck Entry, Castle Bleck Foyer, Castle Bleck Interior, and Castle Bleck Inner Sanctum. A spirit mini-boss guards the end of each room, being O'Chunks, Mimi, Nastasia (instead of Dimentio), and Count Bleck for each respective area. The last area, Castle Bleck Innermost Sanctum, is a single room where Super Dimentio is fought, the reward being his spirit and a large sum of gold. His spirit has a unique ability called Heart of Chaos, which will turn an opposing Spirit's CPU allies into the player's instead, with the cost being no secondary slots and relatively low spirit power.

A mode that'll incorporate every boss I make for this contest in is a Boss Gauntlet mode that is unlocked after beating World of Light and getting the true ending. This gauntlet has the player choose from one of three random bosses to fight, and with each progressing fight won, the difficulty is increased (bosses get increased defenses, boosted attack power, etc.) The player has to hold out as long as they can, similar to Master Orders/Crazy Orders, and can occasionally fight bosses a level or two harder than the difficulty they are currently on for the reward of healing items. At the end of the mode, which is dictated by whenever the player thinks they can't handle any more, they'll fight Galeem, Dharkon, or Galeem/Dharkon as the final boss. How many bosses they beat before hand will affect their difficulty, but also increase the number of stocks the player gets to fall back on for getting so far, maxing out at 5 stocks.

Super Dimentio has a slightly altered intro when fighting him in Boss Gauntlet mode. Instead of looking around in confusion, Luigi immediately realizes where he is and that it's no good. He runs for it, before the void appears and sucks him in, despite how he tries to run away, and he ends up running in thin air in vain. Poor guy can't catch a break.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well I've got everything I need to be able to grade round 5. Only two judges will have results to give but we can work with that.

Unfortunately, events of today will lead to be not being at my computer until much later today. So yeah, grades should be up today, just not until later.

D

Deleted member

Round 6 is now closed. Seeing as how that's the case, what say we get those Round 5 grades done shall we?

psb123's grades:

Heavy Lobster by GolisoPower GolisoPower

Utilizaiton: 5/5

That's probably one of the most likely new areas for World of Light we could get given, you know, Sakurai is the creator of Kirby. Not that we'll probably get any new areas but still, this one sounds pretty good. Solid line-up of classic runs too. Mostly with the reasoning for the characters to fight this thing.

Creativity: 8/10

It's not bad, and it's a faithful adaption. But it does feel a tad much on the same-y side to a few of the other bosses in the game. The Mini-Lobsters and Paint Slimes are a nice touch. But the other attacks are a bit much in the realm of standard boss affair.

Balance: 8/10

Pretty similar to the creativity score all in all. Nothing too terrible. But the damage percentages on the attacks are just barely powerful enough to where quick defeats might pose a problem.

Overall Score: 21/25

Whispy Woods by Kevandre Kevandre

Utilization: 3/5

Sorry to say but you got a little lazy with the world of light description. "World of Dark might as well just have a section for new bosses lmao" doesn't really do you any favors here without really fleshing out the ideas. And since you said either that or just throw him in the Gourmet Race, combined with a few stretches in some of your classic mode reasoning, and there's something left to be desired in how this boss is utilized.

I like how this combines attacks from multiple interpretations of this boss throughout the Kirby games, and in that regard this is a faithful adaption. Faithful enough to where it's a decent ways into copy/paste material. Depending on the boss and situation, that could be a bit of a gripe depending on who you ask.

In this case in particular, my main issues comes with the lack of variety in attacks. Roots, Apples, and Jumping. Oh My! Ok sure he's got the wind breath too but this boss is still lacking in attack options.

This one seems a little easy. Not too big a deal by itself but being able to heal and throw the apples might be a bit much. I'm also a little concerned about the lack of the clarification on how powerful the gust from the wind breath is.

Overall Score: 19/25

Kracko by arsquid arsquid

I like the idea behind the Thunder Cloud area but it's a little too skimpy on the details. You only gave an example of one spirit that could be found in it and while it's a good one, your entry could have been helped by a few more. The amount of classic mode runs is also on the small side and In my honest opinion, the reasoning for Samus to fight this thing is a bit of stretch.

Creativity: 7/10

Pretty faithful adaption. But there are two noticeable problems here. The first of which is that Kracko can damage you during the scrolling section before the fight even begins. That's a no-no. I don't mind the scrolling section being there but you shouldn't be able to take damage before you can even fight the boss.

And re-arranging the cloud platforms is a really big problem. It works within Kirby games themselves, but not all Smash Bros. characters have multiple jumps like that. Honestly speaking I think this could lead too far into instant KO territory for someone like Little Mac. If you really wanted to keep this mechanic in, then some sort of work around like platforms that don't disappear, or a Rocket Belt showing up during the attack before Kracko does this would have been helpful.

Balance: 5/10

The disappearing cloud platforms really are a problem. Being able to take damage before the fight begins also hinders your score here, but it's the clouds that are your real achilles heel. I know they re-appear quickly but it's too big a risk for characters with weaker recovery.

Overall Score: 15/25

Nightmare by Perkilator Perkilator

Utilization: 4/5

Your use of World of Light is a little lacking. Just replacing a boss already in the game with this one. But your high amount of classic mode runs make up for it.

Creativity: 10/10

I don't really see anything wrong here. This a faithful adaptation from the source game without a noticeable problem in the Smash interpretation to come with it. The use of the Star Rod also adds a nice touch in my opinion.

Balance: 7/10

A lot of those attacks are a bit too strong. Pretty similar to GolisoPower's heavy lobster idea really. Though the damage percentages on yours are higher. Which makes it just slightly more of a problem.

02 by TKOWL TKOWL

New modes like your arena idea are always welcome. But I do think a few more classic mode runs could be justified. That and a more detailed description of where the boss is in world of light.

Creativity: 9/10

Another faithful adaptation. And not just from Kirby 64 either. I like how it uses a few other Dark Matter attack from other Kirby games. My only gripe? The way the platforms work is now what I would call a good idea.

The platform thing is more of a problem here. It's more tricky for less air oriented character to navigate and 02 being able to make the platforms around him disappear while he's there makes it hard to land a hit on him without a projectile.

Overall Score: 20/25

Fatty Whale by Mamboo07 Mamboo07

Utilization: 5/5

Good amount of classic runs and that new World of Light area sounds like one I'd really like. Water is my favorite element after all.

If someone were to say that the attacks this guy uses are on the generic side, I'd find myself having to agree. Though if memory serves, this is a faithful adaptation of his fights in Kirby Super Star. Not to mention his more aquatic arsenal does have him using a couple of attack that we haven't really seen from any Ultimate bosses.

I would have liked some clarification on if you can damage him when he's in the background though. That wasn't made clear and if he can't be, then that's a problem.

Balance: 5/10

Sorry, but you really have got to tone down those damage percentages. Tidal Wave and Whale Charge especially are too powerful.

Overall Score: 17/25

Dyna Blade by BlastState BlastState

The amount of classic mode battles is really low (though the reasonings aren't too bad) but I really like the idea behind the post game gauntlet for World of Light. Having better access to farming boss spirits is a great idea.

The only problem I see here is the minor wind effect later in the battle. But at least it's minor instead of heavy. Still, I wouldn't call limiting the players movement like that a good idea.

In addition to the wind problem, some of Dyna Blade's attacks seem a little too strong. Especially Hover Claw since it can KO you at 80% unless you break free. Needing a full shield to block extension peck is also asking a little much.

Computer Virus by THE SLOTH THE SLOTH

Your Boss Gauntlet is always a welcome addition. But I can't make it a free pass for a 5 forever. The Classic mode routes you do have make sense. Especially Hero, and I like how you've incorporated it into Kirby's Run. But there could stand to be just a couple more and there's no new World of Light area. Just adding the boss to an existing one.

I will admit I was concerned about the invulnerability periods this boss can have. But being able to take out the 5 parts quickly enough makes up for it I feel. That, and this is a just a really creative way to fight a boss from the get go.

Balance: 10/10

My two concerns were that the boss would be too easy, and the gust of wind from the great dragon. But honestly, easy doesn't sound like the right word to describe this boss. The Slime and the Puppet sure, but each enemy gets progressively more challenging. And since the great dragon can only use the wind gust while on the left or right of the screen, I think you just barely avoided a loss in points with that.

Overall Score: 24/25

Cosmic77's grades:

"Heavy Lobster" by GolisoPower:

A special area featuring the Halberd makes sense, especially after the huge role it had in SSE. Seems like the best way you could add Heavy Lobster into WoL.

I'm surprised you didn't make Meta Knight one of the characters who fights this boss in Classic though. I guess it's not required, but it felt pretty obvious to me.

Your boss is fine, but I recognize these attacks.

I usually like it when people pull attacks directly from their game of origin, but it's not really that hard to port a Kirby boss to Smash. Because of that, I'm really interested in seeing some new and original attacks to compliment the old ones, and I don't think you had enough originality in your boss.

You have everything I'm looking for, but I do think you added a few too many strong attacks. There are several combinations of attacks that make it to where getting hit four times could take you up to 80%. That's a little much in my opinion.

Maybe add a few more weaker attacks to balance things out.

"Whispy Woods" by Kevandre:

The Classic characters are okay, but could you have added a little more effort to your WoL segment? You could've talked about Spirits, an exact location on the map, or anything else just to add more flair.

Similar to what I said with GolisoPower. A lot of your attacks are copy-and-pasted directly from the games, and since bosses in Kirby games function almost identically to how they would in Smash, I don't think it's really that hard to implement old attacks.

Still, I appreciate you combining several variations of Whispy Woods into one boss. That's creative.

Balance: 9/10

It's an improvement. You were still missing the damage and knockback for a few of your attacks (such as the one where Whispy jumps above the satge and comes crashing down)

At least I can see that you understand what I'm looking for in this category.

"Kracko" by Arsquid:

Pretty good! I like the implementation of a special thunder cloud area in WoL. Seems very Kirby-ish. Your selection of Classic characters were a bit small (and random), but I can give you a pass this time. Can't argue with Meta Knight and Pit.

Nice interpretation of Krako. Some of your attacks are identical to the ones in Kirby, but I did notice that you changed a few of them. The attack that has Krako covering the entire stage and raining down lighting orginally forced Kirby to jump to the background to avoid it, but this version has safe gaps.

Not much else to say expect that I enjoyed your boss.

Balance: 6/10

A few things.

Some of your attacks feel a little excessive. Personally, I think 45% for an attack that's really easy to get caught in is a bit much. Somewhere in the 30s would've been better, assuming that's Krako's strongest attack.

You also forgot knockback for some of your attacks. I need to know the knockback for all attacks, including the weaker ones. If an attack for whatever reason doesn't deal knockback, specify that in your description.

Lastly, your stage's layout has a lot of gaps. Having fought Krako multiple times, these can really be a nuisance for players, especially those who have a low air speed.

"Nightmare" by Perkilator:

Almost all of your Classic characters made sense even without the description, so good job on that. Your WoL section was a little lackluster though. Try adding more details next time.

Nicely done! I can tell you put a lot of thought into making your boss instead of just copying what was already available in the games. Allowing Nightmare to switch between his wizard and ball form is also a nice little gimmick.

I would've given you a perfect score, but I don't like it when items are added to a boss fight, even if they make sense in context. Now if you wanted a certain randomly spawned item to deal additional damage as a Easter egg of sorts, I'd be fine with that. I'd just prefer you not make a specific item spawn during the match.

Overall Score: 22/25

"0²" by TKOWL:

Nothing really to say here except you included everything I wanted. The new arena mode also sounds interesting. Surprised Sakurai hasn't thought of adding an arena mode inspired by the Kirby games.

Great job overall! You did exactly what I was looking for and added many new and orginal moves. Really makes your boss stand out from the other submissions.

Putting a weak spot on the Halo was also a nice touch. Seems like something Sakurai would actually do if this were a real boss.

Balance: 9/10

You were doing great with the knockback, but I wanted exact numbers for the damage. Comparing them to another attack is better than nothing, but I'd still like to see some actually values on top of that. The layout also isn't the best for a boss fight.

I was debating whether or not I should just go ahead and give you a perfect score, but I felt like this was significant enough to warrant at least one point.

Overall Score: 24/25

"Fatty Whale" by Poochy756:

Feel like I'm stuck in a rut with these utilization scores.

Everything seems fine. You've got the Classic characters, most of which make sense, a new area in WoL, and a theme to go along with the Spirits.

Creativity: 5/10

I'll be honest, I completely forgot this guy existed, and there may have been a good reason for that. You did indeed create a boss, but it feels al like almost lifeless. I'm not seeing that splash of creativity that we normally see with these submissions. Tail slap, throwing rocks, splashing water from his spout - these attacks feel like something someone with absolutely no knowledge of the character could've created. In other words, they feel generic.

I did like the attacks that involve Fatty Whale breaching though. That's a little closer to what I'm looking for.

Balance: 6/10

Kinda took a few steps backwards with this boss. While you did include damage percentages (a few of which are too strong, but that's not what I'm most concerned about here), your descriptions for your boss's attacks aren't really lengthy. Where does Fatty Whale land when he jumps on the pier? How do you avoid some of the attacks? Is there anything Fatty Whale is weak against? Adding more info is never a bad idea.

...And you forgot knockback.

Overall Score: 16/25

"Dyna Blade" by BlastState:

WoL segment was fine, even if it wasn't the most imaginative idea. Your Classic characters though? Personally, I don't think any of the characters you chose were very fitting. The closest was Dedede, and that's only because he's a Kirby character.

Adding a few more characters might increase your odds of getting someone who the judges think would make sense in Classic.

It's a decent boss. I don't think it's the most creative entry in the bunch, but it's still a solid way to represent Dyna Blade. I'd say Background Charge is my favorite attack.

I also like the boss animation for Dyna's entry and defeat. Most contestants have entry and defeat animations included in their submissions too, but I thought I should at least acknowledge that I'm looking at them and do appreciate the extra detail.

Some of your attacks I'm a little unsure of. I can't say that anything definitely needs to get toned down, but not including specific damage values forces me to guess how powerful Dyna's attacks would be.

Overall Score: 19/25

"Computer Virus" by THE SLOTH:

Aside from Dark Pit, everyone makes sense in Classic. Really good choices for this boss. Your idea for how to implement this boss in WoL was just a teeny bit underwhelming, but I can't say that it wasn't at least creative. Clearly you did put a little thought into it.

Man, I absolutely love your interpretation of this boss. It's memorable, unique, very creative, and has all the makings of a good boss. And on top of all that, you did add your own little touch to the boss. The twist at the end with the dragon was definitely not in the original game, and that's something that helps show the player that this isn't the same boss from before.

Excellent job all around. Well done.

Balance: 10/10

Nothing to critique. Damage percentages are present, knockback descriptions are present, none of the attacks seem too overpowered, stage is a little small but still flat. Everything looks great.

Overall Score: 25/25

Congratulations! You're the first person to recieve a perfect score from me!

Total Scores:

GolisoPower: 41 points

Kevandre: 40 points

arsquid: 35 points

Perkilator: 43 points

TKOWL: 44 points

Poochy756: 33 points

BlastState: 39 points

THE SLOTH: 49 points

Computer Virus
Wins

Nice Work THE SLOTH

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Amazing job Sloth! Sorry for forgetting the knockback! But I did a great job. No hard feelings.
(I'm frustrated trying to balance my boss fights and they end up being overpowered.)

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Thank you so much! I'm quite glad Computer Virus won, I honestly think it's a better boss than Hoopa Unbound was, and it wasn't carried by the Boss Gauntlet. I don't expect to get any bonus points for it, I'm pretty much just including it in my entries for consistency rather than anything else. The only other thing in hindsight I'd fix about CV would probably be in WoL, I probably could've included it somewhere in the Dark World for a rematch like how it reappears in Super Star, but oh well.

Great job to everyone who submitted, everyone provided a good boss and interesting read this round!

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
Good work to ya, The Sloth! Your interpretation of Computer Virus was superb and I really enjoyed reading it!

I'm also glad that my Dyna Blade entry was more well-received than I expected. I felt like I cheaped out in some areas like Classic mode routes and some of the attack designs due to trying to make my boss design concise and challenging. I enjoyed everyone's posts for the Kirby round and Round 6, and I look forward to seeing everyone's entries for this next round!

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 7!

Winning the poll at 3 votes, Round 7 is.............

Capcom Bosses

Back in the day, Capcom and Konami were 3rd Party developers that made so many good games that people considered one of the two to be the best Video Game company there was. Even more so than Console Makers.

Nowadays though, well Capcom still has a few kinks to work out but they've at least a recovery from the time where they doing things like cancelling Mega Man Legends 3 and not marketing Darkstalkers Resurrection despite saying that it needed to sell well for Darkstalkers to continue.

This weeks round covers any game that started as a game and is a Capcom owned property (meaning no games they helped make but don't own like The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap).

A few examples include:

Mega Man
Street Fighter
Devil May Cry
Okami
Resident Evil
Monster Hunter
Darkstalkers
Viewtiful Joe
Breath of Fire
Ghosts N Goblins
Gargoyle's Quest

As always, one boss per contestant.

And with that. On Monday, August 5th, 2019, Round 7 has begun. You have until Friday, August 9th to submit entries.

Good Luck!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Time for Round 7!

Winning the poll at 3 votes, Round 7 is.............

Capcom Bosses

Back in the day, Capcom and Konami were 3rd Party developers that made so many good games that people considered one of the two to be the best Video Game company there was. Even more so than Console Makers.

Nowadays though, well Capcom still has a few kinks to work out but they've at least a recovery from the time where they doing things like cancelling Mega Man Legends 3 and not marketing Darkstalkers Resurrection despite saying that it needed to sell well for Darkstalkers to continue.

This weeks round covers any game that started as a game and is a Capcom owned property (meaning no games they helped make but don't own like The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap).

A few examples include:

Mega Man
Street Fighter
Devil May Cry
Okami
Resident Evil
Monster Hunter
Darkstalkers
Viewtiful Joe
Breath of Fire
Ghosts N Goblins
Gargoyle's Quest

As always, one boss per contestant.

And with that. On Monday, August 5th, 2019, Round 7 has begun. You have until Friday, August 9th to submit entries.

Good Luck!
Okay, might be tricky. I'll think about, though.

D

Deleted member

Round 8 Strawpoll

Now that Capcom Bosses is happening, we need another company to fill it's spot on the poll. I'm going with Konami Bosses.

As for the lack of the Dragon Quest option this time, I'm not outright canning it just yet. But I am going to have it take a back seat for a bit. Currently taking it's place is Donkey Kong Bosses.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Nemesis_Boss.png

Boss Name:
Nemesis-T Type

Game of Origin:
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

What Does This Boss Do?:
“S.T.A.R.S…”

The Nemesis is a massive boss, double the height of Ridley. Its attacks are devastating, despite their being heavily telegraphed, and Nemesis can really take the damage, too. While in his humanoid phase, he will start passively regenerating health at 1% of his max health per second if he’s not damaged for 5 seconds. While in his mutated phase, he will lose that passive regenerative ability.

Phase 1: Humanoid

Brutal Smash: Nemesis will reel back and punch downwards with a brutal overhead punch. This does 16% damage and can meteor smash opponents, but takes 4 seconds for it to come out.
Clothesline: Nemesis performs a brutal clothesline as he lunges towards the opponent. If he manages to land this attack, he will immediately follow up with a rocket. The attack does a measly 11% damage, but if the rocket more than makes up for it.
Deadly Reach: Nemesis causes tentacles to erupt from its arm, letting it thrash for a bit before they retract back in. The move does a total of 20% damage with as much knockback as Zapple. This can reach out to halfway across the screen normally. Nemesis can jump up and use this at a downward angle.
Rocket Launcher: Nemesis will fire a rocket at the opponent’s current position, dealing 19% damage and dealing as much knockback as Snake’s C4. The rocket travels pretty fast, and can be easily used to follow up Clothesline.
Launcher Slam: Nemesis will swing the rocket launcher either upwards or downwards. This deals 15% damage regardless of angle, but the knockback is different. Upwards does as much knockback as Ryu’s True Shoryuken while downwards buries/meteor smashes on hit.
Tentacle Slam: Nemesis will release a single tentacle to erupt from its arm, causing it to grab the opponent. Nemesis will then slam the opponent down in front of it. The attack does 17% damage and about as much knockback as Incineroar’s Back Body Drop.

Phase 2: Mutated

At 75% depletion, Nemesis gets angry and mutates to what can only be described as an abomination, rivaling Ganon, the Demon King in terms of size. In this form, Nemesis has completely different attacks.

Vicious Thrash: Nemesis will start thrashing its tentacles in front of itself, dealing a total of 18% damage and as much knockback as Bang.
Acid Spit: Nemesis will start heaving for a moment before spitting a ball of acid at the opponent. This deals a total of 20% damage, as the initial hit does 1% and steadily deals and additional 1% a second.
Tunneling Thrash: Nemesis smashes four tentacles into the ground and slowly tracks the player. After a few moments, the tentacles will erupt and attempt to strike the player, similarly to Dharkon’s tentacle attack. Each tentacle does about 4.5% each and as much knockback as Isabelle’s Fishing Rod.
Acid Pool: Nemesis basically throws up a pool of acid on the ground, which deals damage over time to the player if they’re standing in it, similarly to the fire patches during the Rathalos attack. If you stand inside it for the 10 second duration, you’ll take 25% damage total.
Fatal Mutation: Nemesis will attempt to grab the opponent. If he does, he will eat the opponent and heal himself for a bit of his health back while dealing 24% damage. If the player is over 100%, they will be instantly KO’d.

Boss Setting:
The boss fight takes place in the Raccoon City Garbage Dump. When the battle begins, the camera starts with the player slowly arriving in the dump. They hear footsteps getting louder as they look around before a pile of garbage explodes, revealing Nemesis in all its glory before the monstrosity lets out a loud roar. During the battle, gun items such as the Super Scope and the Steel Diver can spawn, being reminiscent of the many weapons that the RE protagonists can fight with. Additionally, Daybreak parts can spawn, representing the Demon Sword of Paracelsus, but those are much more rare. When the battle ends, the Nemesis will thrash around for a bit before the Demon Sword of Paracelsus, which resides in the background, fires at it, effectively destroying the B.O.W. Throughout the battle, the Nemesis theme plays in the background.

Where Are They Found?:
A new area in the World of Darkness, there is a new area called Raccoon City. This is a very open-ended area that comes included with the camera angles from the original Resident Evil games. There are buildings within the city that house various monstrous/mutated lifeforms from across the represented Smash Bros universes, ranging from Xenoblade 2’s Guldos to Sonic the Hedgehog’s Dark Gaia, as well as police-based Spirits such as Byte and Barq from ARMS and the Neuron Officers from Astral Chain. Said buildings also retain the fixed camera angles of the original RE games, only changing based on the player’s position. Like Rathalos, Nemesis can appear, but only inside the buildings, and you can’t fight it. Instead, you must escape the building you’re in whenever you encounter the B.O.W. before it catches you. If it does catch you, then you will suffer some vicious damage for when you fight the next Spirit battle, starting at a brutal 100%.

In Classic Mode, the following characters can fight against Nemesis:
:ultsamus:: This monster needs to be taken down.
:ultluigi:: He thought Dracula’s Castle was bad? He ain’t been to Raccoon City.
:ultzelda:: Stop the villainous abomination.
:ultmewtwo:: Both sides are genetic, biological creations.
:ultryu:: Partnered with :ultken:&:ultmegaman:. Nemesis is partnered with :ultdarksamus: and :ultjoker:. A stamina battle. A reference to Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Dark Samus is meant to represent Nemesis while Joker is meant to represent Albert Wesker.
:ultsimon:: It’s monstrous physique bears some similarity to Beelzebub, a boss from Castlevania.

Top Bottom