• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Boss Creation Thread

D

Deleted member

Change in plans. A contestant requested a time extension. Round 4 ends either at the end of the day on Sunday or when this contestant submits his boss. Whichever comes first.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA, BREATH OF THE WILD
STONE TALUS
1563718932571.png

101_0777.JPG

another terrible image by me. yay.​
Stone Taluses are mini-bosses in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Made of stone, they are impervious to damage everywhere but the black rock on it's head. In Smash, Stone Taluses are about one Dracula wide and 75% of a Dracula tall. Their "body" functions as a platform, you can stand on top of it and can wall jump off the sides. It maintains it's weak spot, but with Smash having aerials, it's a whole lot easier to hit. The Stone Talus is something of a miniboss, it has only slightly more health than one phase of Dracula. It's opening is taken directly from BotW, where the Talus materializes from stones lying on the arena. It's death is similar, with the rocks it's body composes of flying off. On the whole, Stone Talus is a very slow-but-strong boss.

Attacks:

Rock Throw: The Stone Talus throws one of it's "arms" at the opponent. It gets flinged in the direction of the opponent, but there's a bit of delay so escaping it is possible. It deals large damage and almost breaks shields. It's too big to be reflected or pocketed. After the attack, the Talus lowers itself into the ground to re-gain a rock

Pound: The Stone Talus stomps the ground in front of it with it's "arms". It's a slow but strong attack, with enough startup lag to make escaping it rather easy. It deals massive damage if it does hit, KOing around 50.

Stone Peblett creation: The Stone talus pounds one of it's "feet", which makes 1-3 Pebletts come out of the ground. Pebletts are smaller versions of the talus itself. They're much faster than their adult counterpart, but can only attack by ramming into the player. They have around 25 HP each, and a defeated one can be thrown (like a crate) to the talus itself, which will stun it.

Desperate Shake: The stone talus tries to shake the player off of it. In a suprising change of pace, it's a pretty fast but weak attack. The talus flings it's "head" towards the center of the stage, which will automatically send the foe that way. It's less of an attack, but more of a "get off of me" thing.

Encounters:

World of Light: Stone Talus shows up pretty early in the mode, shortly after the routes diverge. If you backtrack to where the routes diverge on the route you weren't on, it isn't there. You also fight a slightly more powerful one before the final boss, replacing the Claus or Hinawa spirit

Classic Mode: As a mini-boss, it's classic mode encounters are odd. For starters, any characters who fight Ganon (:ultlink:,:ulttoonlink:.:ultyounglink:,:ultzelda:) fight Stone Talus on intensities of 5.5 or lower (if the player gets to these lower levels through losing, you keep fighting Ganon. In addition, :ultmegaman: fights him instead of Galleom (Stone Talus is a Rock Man i'm sorry), and :ultgreninja:, :ultrob:, and:ultbanjokazooie: fight him for their bonus mode instead of a race to the finish (Greninja fights it due to the Rock Type, R.O.B fights it due to it's unreadable expression, and Banjo fights it to tame it, so it can bury Gruntilda.

Subspace-Style adventure: I'd imagine it would be something like Petey Pirahna, an easy boss early on (though not quite the first level).

Music: It's always fought using it's theme song from BoTW, potentially remixed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Now that that last submission is in, Round 4 is closed. Grades will arrive when they arrive but Round 5 will start tomorrow.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I haven't gotten to making a Kirby boss for tomorrow yet, but my cat says that Kirby IS the boss already...

1563751412150.png

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 5!

Winning the Strawpoll at a hefty 10 votes. Round 5 is............................

Kirby Bosses

Kirby's had a lot of games. And Kirby's had a lot of bosses. A surprising amount of which don't actually meet the criteria for the whole "giant enemy" motif. In fact it almost seems to be a 50/50 split from what I can tell.

Granted the upscaling strategy is still a thing, just be a bit careful. Like with any round, wouldn't want your entry to be disqualified because it's too small.

As for any bans or restrictions, taking a look at all of the games, I don't really anything there that's ineligible. Out of the ones have officially released that is. Cancelled Titles like Kid Kirby are not allowed. Assuming they even have anything to work with in the first place.

Kirby Right Back At Ya is also banned since it's an anime, not a game. Though fun fact. Did you know that King Dedede's right hand snail from that show, Escargoon, has a cameo in Kirby Mass Attack?

And with that, on Monday, July 22nd 2019, Round 5 has begun. You have until Thursday, June 25th, at about 11:00pm Pacific Time to submit entries. I would go with Friday, July 26th like usual. But let's be real, no one is going to submit anything that day because we'll all be busy playing Fire Emblem Three Houses :p

I'm kidding BTW. Friday is still the round cut off day.

Good Luck!

D

Deleted member

Round 6 Strawpoll

All the prior options other than Kirby Bosses remain. And I have to say, I'm kind of surprised by how well the Persona X Shin Megami Tensei option did in the last poll. Sure not a lot of people posted in this thread what there answer was on if they have a submission to give for that round, but still. It got 2nd place.

So I'm going to keep that option around and just let the chips fall where they may. Hopefully it won't be a stagnant round.

Will the new voting option of Dragon Quest Bosses be the same case? Only time will tell.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Giving my input on the subject now, since I didn't last round, if we do have a Persona X Shin Megami Tensei or Dragon Quest round, I'll likely not participate due to not being familiar enough with the series to do any of the bosses justice. I still don't want to take that out of the poll options since I figure a good number of people would want a round to do something from that series anyways, but just giving my two cents. And as for suggestions, maybe we could eventually have a freebie round? Use any boss from any video game, as long as it originates from a video game so no fourth party entries.

Glad Kirby Bosses finally won, though! One of my favorite series, especially in the boss department. It'll be hard to choose just one, but this should be a pretty interesting round.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Heavy_Lobster_Boss.png

Boss Name:

Heavy Lobster

Game of Origin:

Kirby Super Star

What Does This Boss Do?:

The Heavy Lobster is a large robotic boss under the command of Meta Knight aboard the Halberd. The Heavy Lobster is fairly similar to some bosses fought in the Kirby series, but ultimately, this is the most recurring boss aboard the Halberd.

Lobster Snap: The Heavy Lobster lunges forwards with a large claw, dealing 14% damage on hit, and knockback equivalent of Ganondorf's F-tilt. It’s slow and heavily telegraphed, but the claw itself is large.

Lobster Ram: The Heavy Lobster prepares itself to charge, then starts running forwards. This deals 16% damage, but it can ram itself into the wall at the cost of 2% of its total health. Upon hit, this knocks back as far as K. Rool's Dash attack.

Mini Lobsters: The Heavy Lobster will deploy a Mini Lobster that goes along the ground and off the screen. If the Mini Lobster hits the player, it will explode and deal 23% damage to the opponent, the explosion often being used as a good kill move.

Flamethrower: The Heavy Lobster will crouch and release a stream of fire that deals 19% damage on hit. This has some decent range, going out as far as itself, but the crouching beforehand is slow, making it predictable. The move isn't that high in terms of knockback, equating to that of Charizard's Flamethrower.

Jump Stomp: The Heavy Lobster will jump into the air in an attempt to stomp on the player. On hit, this deals 21% damage and buries for a good long while, but not as long as Inkling's Roller.

Paint Slimes: The Heavy Lobster can also deploy a Paint Slime that hops towards the player. While they themselves can be defeated in one hit, they can also hit the player and cover them in a orange-and-yellow ink that makes them more susceptible to damage. The number increases to 3 after half of Heavy Lobster’s health is depleted. A Paint Slime can also be knocked into the Heavy Lobster’s eyes, blinding it and causing it to erratically attack at inopportune moments. The ink effect is to make up for the small knockback, equivalent to a Tossed Purple Pikmin.

Boss Setting:

The fight takes place inside the Halberd’s engine room, but at higher difficulties takes place in the cabin room, both arenas being the places where you fight it in Kirby Super Star. The fight begins with the Heavy Lobster smashing through the wall and releasing a bit of fire from its claws. When it is defeated, its claws will fall off as it slowly starts exploding before the Heavy Lobster itself explodes, effectively destroying it. The song that plays is the Boss Theme from Kirby Super Star.

Where Are They Found?:

In World of Light, they are found in a new area situated between Magicant and Bowser’s Castle, the Halberd. The map itself is generally filled with Spirits fought on the Halberd (Such as the Spirit version of the Heavy Lobster and the Halberd Spirit itself), in addition to brand new Spirits that can be fought on the Halberd such as Metal Madness from Sonic Heroes and the Highwind from Final Fantasy VII. As you progress, the Halberd will get more and more damaged with each Spirit you defeat until it crash-lands back on where you entered.

In Classic Mode, the following characters can fight the Heavy Lobster:

:ultkirby:: Fought before fighting Dedede.
:ultpeach:: Partnered with Sheik. A reference to the Subspace Emissary where they were trapped on the Halberd.
:ultgnw:: A reference to his enslavement aboard the Halberd in Subspace Emissary.
:ultkingdedede:: Kirby Bosses clashing one-on-one.
:ultrob:: Heavy Lobster has no readable expressions.
:ultcloud:: A reference to how he fights many Shinra robots in FF7. In addition, the battle takes place on the Halberd, possibly giving Cloud motion sickness.
:ultbanjokazooie:: A slight reference to the Mingy Jongo boss fight in Banjo-Tooie.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
WHISPY WOODS
(Which Kirby game? He's in all of them!)​

1563812891907.png

Arguably the most iconic boss in the series, even moreso than King Dedede! Whispy Woods was the first boss in the first Kirby game, and has made an appearance in all of the games, to one extent or another. This is also true for Smash Bros, making appearances in the Green Greens and Dreamland 64 stages.

This time, he's back and ready to attack!

I didn't do my usual thing of having a ton of different images, but I thought I'd just write them out here.

From above, Whispy Woods will drop a bunch of apples, that will strike you for 8% a piece if they hit you when falling down! However, they will land on the ground and be usable as projectiles, so feel free to attack that way. Sometimes, he'll also drop the consumable food version of apples, though it doesn't happen all the time. Occasionally, Whispy will also shoot his fruits out of his mouth a la Kirby's Dream Land 3, which can be grabbed out of the air if timed right, but will otherwise just hit you and do knock-back and 8%.

Whispy will also blow wind across the stage, so be sure to have your character run against it or you might be blown off screen!

Taking a cue from his Star Allies version, sometimes Whispy will jump up in the air and come down at a different spot on the stage to take root (pun absolutely intended). He can land in his original position on the right, the opposite position on the left, or center stage.

Taking a cue from Kirby's Dream Land 2, sometimes Whispy Woods will attack from below with his spike-like roots coming from the ground! These do some decent knock-up and 15% of damage.

As a last ditch attack when he has 5% health remaining, he'll shower down a ton of apples like he does in Star Allies. These aren't going to kill you, but might do a bunch of damage so shield at the right time! You wouldn't want to get hit with that and then the root attack, after all!

And that's it! This is much more a traditional type of Smash boss, but Smash works in such a way that complements how Kirby stuff is so I'm toeing the line here.

We might as well just have a section of World of Dark dedicated to different boss battles at this point lmao. But, otherwise, I'd just add him to the Gourmet Race part of the existing World of Light for now.

Folks who fight him in classic mode:

:ultkirby::ultmetaknight: - Figured King Dedede can have Marx and these two can have Whispy (I was gonna have MK and Dedede swap but then I realized I had MK in the image lmao)
:ultpiranha: - Only one sentient plant can exist!
:ultdiddy: - Trying to climb a tree just didn't work out this time...
:ultcloud: - Exdeath reference?
:ulthero: - Dragon Quest has evil living trees
:ultgreninja: - Have at thee, Trevenant!
:ultpit: - Viridi please stop
:ultyounglink: - Sorry, I thought this was the Great Deku Tree!

I hope you guys like. This one feels too obvious.

Last edited:

arsquid

Smash Rookie
I just recently found this and hey, it looks pretty fun! I've never played Kirby so I picked the first boss I recognized that seemed like it could put up a good fight, spent an afternoon watching videos of its appearances, and put this together. It's a little bit small for a boss but given that it's a somewhat amorphous cloud, upscaling should be no problem. I present to you..

KRACKO
Kirby's Dream Land

At the start of the fight, the player finds themselves in the clouds above Dream Land. Kracko swoops onstage in his first form, Kracko Jr., in which he is composed only of four disparate clouds circling the center eye. The stage begins to scroll upwards, and the player must jump between ascending cloud platforms as Kracko Jr. harasses them with slow-moving electric projectiles. Kracko cannot be harmed during this phase.

Once you’ve reached the top of the stage Kracko will gather clouds to itself in order to manifest its full form, its health bar will appear, and the fight will begin in earnest. Kracko’s theme for this game, A Battle of Friends and Bonds 2, will begin to play.

Kracko bobs slightly up and down when it stays in place, and like other bosses will move fairly often to avoid attacks. It tends to take a large, swooping path to the other side of the stage, which doubles as an opportunity for more ground-based characters to get some attacks in. However when getting in position for its own attacks, Kracko will fly in a straight line to its intended location. The stage is also significantly larger than depicted above- players will be given plenty of room to maneuver.

MOVESET
Kracko uses the following moves, in order of priority:

Minion Spawn
It hovers above one of the platforms, shaking momentarily before dropping a Waddle Dee directly downwards. The Waddle Dee will waddle around on whatever platform it’s on, occasionally jumping towards the player when they get close. Touching the Waddle Dee during its jump will deal very slight damage and a good bit of knockback. However they persist until cleared by the player or destroyed by one of Kracko’s other attacks, so if you try and ignore them they can pile up and make avoiding Kracko’s attacks quite difficult.

Deadly Deluge
It drifts directly over the player, pauses for a second, and releases a torrent of rainfall. The rain has a slight vacuum effect to pull the player in, and will deal up to 30% if the player is trapped in the rainfall for the full duration of the move.

Lightning Sweep
It grows dark gray in color, begins crackling with electricity, and quickly drifts to one side of the stage. It begins shooting a lightning bolt onto the ground directly underneath it, and continues firing the bolt while flying to the other side of the stage. Depending on the configuration of the stage, the far left and right sides of the screen are usually out of the range of this attack. This attack can also be avoided with a dodge. Anyone hit by the attack will be carried along the stage for the rest of its duration, taking 6% every time the lightning hits them.

Cloud Control
It slowly drifts down to the same level as the platforms and then quickly sweeps from one side of the stage to the other. Its entire body is an active hitbox during this attack and deals 15% and significant knockback. Additionally, the platforms vanish as Kracko sweeps through them, and will reappear a second later in a different configuration.

Krack the Sky
It rises to the top of the screen and spreads itself out, becoming a massive thundercloud that spans the width of the stage. It flashes white for a couple seconds and then releases lightning bolts across the entire stage. There are two safe areas for this attack- gaps in the lightning barrage on either side of the bolt fired directly beneath Kracko. Those caught in the lightning for the full duration can take up to 45%.

At low health, Kracko enters its final form- Kracko’s Revenge. He does not get another health bar or anything but instead becomes dark purple in color, and its eye turns red. Its moveset also becomes somewhat more deadly with the following changes:

Minion Spawn will dispense a Co-Kracko, a small copy of itself, instead of a Waddle-Dee. Co-Kracko’s will slowly drift towards the player and explode with electric energy, dealing 10% damage. They can be destroyed with a single hit however, and Kirby and Dedede can eat them.

Deadly Deluge is identical, except that Kracko will drift across the stage during the attack, carrying anyone stuck in the rain along for the ride.

For Krack the Sky, the safe zones have been changed. They are now about halfway between each edge of the stage and the middle. This placement should actually be easier to get to but will catch the unwary by surprise.

IMPLEMENTATION
Kracko is the boss for the Classic Mode routes of

:ultsamus: - Not only is Samus known for doing battle with alien creatures, come on- it resembles Mother Brain.

:ultpichu:- Fits in perfectly with the theme of Pichu’s route, being floaty characters and sky-based stages.

:ultpit:- Kracko looks like it would fit right in to a Kid Icarus game. More fitting than Master Hand, anyways.

:ultmetaknight:- With Kirby as your ally, signifying Meta Knight’s decision to become helpful in the end. Really just to have Kirby fight this guy without replacing Marx.

In World of Light, Kracko is the boss of a small Thundercloud area added to the floating islands section of the Light Realm, right next to the Gourmet Race. One possible Spirit battle to add to this location could be Levias from Skyward Sword (Possibly represented by a King Dedede afflicted with flower, though that’s a different discussion).

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
3C8819F3-1AA5-4B45-9EB1-2F2294CA0DA8.png
Boss: Nightmare (should he replace Marx)

Game of Origin: Kirby’s Adventure (1993)

What does the boss do?

Wizard Form:
-Star Spread (short knockback, 12% each star): Nightmare shoots out five stars to the ground.

-Whirlwind (medium knockback, 14%): Nightmare spins around like a top and dashes toward the player.

-Star Power (short knockback, 13%): Nightmare covers his weak point as he shoots twelve stars diagonally towards the player in a 4-2-4-2 pattern.

-Dark Orb (medium knockback, 17% each): Nightmare sends out four dark orbs that home in on the player.

-Fake Kirbies (short knockback, 26%): Nightmare summons four fake Kirbies and they all spit fire down on the player.

-Meteor (slightly long knockback, 35%): Nightmare summons a giant meteor that slowly falls to the ground, and sends the player flying at high damage. The meteor can be attacked and repelled upwards until it breaks.

-Blinding Dark (no damage): Nightmare laughs as he creates a dark orb and spreads its energy all over the screen. Only the player’s outline and Nightmare’s eyes, head and weak point are visible.

Power Orb Form:
-Star Shield (small knockback, 14%): Nightmare gathers four stars into an arc and shoots them at the player.

-Warp Cut (medium knockback, 15%): Nightmare moves quickly vertically and sends out crescents at the player five times.

-Nightmare Shield (medium knockback, 13%): Nightmare covers himself in electricity and floats around trying to ram the player (medium knockback, 14%).

Nightmare switches between his Wizard form and his Power Orb form. When he takes enough damage as a Wizard (regardless of how much health is left), he’ll hide in his Power Orb, which reduces damage dealt to him (and he cannot be K.O.’d in this form). The Star Rod appears every now and then to deal additional damage to his Wizard form, which causes him to switch to Power Orb. Having learned from last time, Nightmare has made it so that the Star Rod’s shots merely bounce off of his Power Orb, so sometimes you’ll want to throw the Star Rod at him if you are running out of ammo.

Setting/Intro: The same place on the moon where you fight him at the end of Kirby’s Adventure. Nightmare swoops into battle just like he does in the game, followed by his laugh from Smash 4.

Defeat: Nightmare screams in agony and explodes, like he does in his original game.

Who fights this boss in Classic Mode?
-:ultkirby: (First TRUE Kirby villain)
-:ultfox: (The moon’s in space, you know!)
-:ultfalco: (Soaring above onto the moon)
-:ultganondorf: (Only ONE ruler of darkness)
-:ultkingdedede: (“Finally, a bonafide slugfest between me n’ NME!”)
-:ultrosalina: (One Star after Another)
-:ultpalutena: (Divine evil)
-Newcomer: Arle
-Newcomer: Midna

Where would this boss be in World of Light?
In the Dark Realm’s Mysterious Dimension (again, assuming he was a boss INSTEAD of Marx).

Music: Nightmare Battle-Kirby’s Adventure (New Remix)

Last edited:

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been active in a hot minute, working on other projects and stuff got me preoccupied, but there's no way I would miss this Kirby round.

0² (Zero Two)
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

zeroboss1.png

The final boss of Kirby 64, this monstrous rebirthed version of Dreamland 3's Zero controls all the Dark Matter spreading throughout the galaxy. Players fight him on segmented hexagon platforms of various sizes that can be dropped through, and are able to be grabbed on. Upon the opening of this battle, 0² descends slowly from the background, and then screeches a somber cry. There are several things that make this battle unique, the biggest being the variable platform structur and how a solid 1/3rd of them are erased whichever side 0² stalls on. Players are kept on their toes as they dodge its bullets and other various attacks, but the process of damaging 0² is also something of interest. Attacking any parts of the main body of it deals minimal damage, but hitting the halo on its head will cause it to change colors and do more damage, until it becomes red and a cactus sprouts from underneath 0² as he lies dazed on the center of the stage. Attacking this sprouted cactus stem will deal large damage to 0², so players should try and prioritize their attacks towards its halo if they can. That is easier said than done, however, as 0² will be throwing out many attacks.

White Bullet: This is the attack 0² will most often use. It starts out as a white, sparkling orb that goes in a straight line at which angle it's fired, then halfway through, it separates into four smaller bullets. The main version has mid-low knockback and little damage, and the split version does less of both, but is also harder to avoid. Based on 0²'s singular attack from Kirby 64.

Homing Hole: 0² charges up a dark projectile from its eye, then release it. It slowly fires forward, but homes onto the player for a few seconds. Has moderate knockback and damage. Partially based on one of Dark Matter Swordsman's attacks in Dreamland 2.

Black Lightning: Shoots a long and slender lightning bolt in the opposite horizontal area from the player, then shoots another one close to it before becoming a bit more unpredictable the last two strikes. Does a fair bit of electrical damage but has low knockback. Based on one of Dark Matter's attacks in Dreamland 3.

Blood Flurry: Flies into the background and spreads around red bullets that try and target for the player's location. The bullets have a similar knockback and damage to the White Bullet, but are less predictable. Based on one of Zero's attacks from Dreamland 3.

Matter Laser: Locks into a vertical position while its eye glows white and energy charges, and then shoots a ginormous laser that does massive damage and knockback to whatever it hits. Best move to whichever one of the three of platforms 0² isn't looking at, as this laser's range covers up a third of the screen horizontally. Based on one of Dark Mind's attacks in Amazing Mirror.

Soul Dive: the background turns fiery as 0² launches rockets itself into the background and exiting from whatever the side of the stage it's on. After a few seconds, it rockets through the bottom half of the stage, then the top. Another high knockback and damaging move. Staying near the middle and then moving up and down or vice versa is the strategy to avoiding this one. Based on one of Drawcia Soul's attacks in Canvas Curse.

When 0² is defeated, its wings begin exploding, as it whimpers and descends slowly to the bottom from the background then explodes. Its normal boss theme would be the 02 Battle (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards) remix from Brawl, but would be changed with different tracks depending on the classic mode route.

For all the bosses I'm submitting for this. I'm imaging they'd be a part of a new arena-like mode from the Kirby games, where you fight both old and new bosses in succession. However, I would also add this boss retroactively into a new World of Light map, and replace Master Hand fights in some other character's routes with this, most notably:

:ultdarksamus:- Fits her dark theme (as 0² is the ruler of all the Dark Matter). Plays an original rip of Miracle Matter
:ultness:- A stand-in for Giygas. Uses a new remix of Porky Means Business.
:ultganondorf:- Both are rulers of darkness, would definitely fit. Plays a new remix of Final Battle Against Ganon.
:ultmewtwo:- Both of them have Two in the name, and are both abomination-type recreations of the sort. Still has Pikachu on his side. Also plays Battle! (Lorekeeper Zinnia) as before.
:ultkingdedede:- I don't want to tear Kirby away from his fight with Marx, so Dedede would team up with Kirby in this fight, as the two of them were in Kirby 64. Plays the same music as normal.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been active in a hot minute, working on other projects and stuff got me preoccupied, but there's no way I would miss this Kirby round.

0² (Zero Two)

View attachment 232232

The final boss of Kirby 64, this monstrous rebirthed version of Dreamland 3's Zero controls all the Dark Matter spreading throughout the galaxy. Players fight him on segmented hexagon platforms of various sizes that can be dropped through, and are able to be grabbed on. Upon the opening of this battle, 0² descends slowly from the background, and then screeches a somber cry. There are several things that make this battle unique, the biggest being the variable platform structur and how a solid 1/3rd of them are erased whichever side 0² stalls on. Players are kept on their toes as they dodge its bullets and other various attacks, but the process of damaging 0² is also something of interest. Attacking any parts of the main body of it deals minimal damage, but hitting the halo on its head will cause it to change colors and do more damage, until it becomes red and a cactus sprouts from underneath 0² as he lies dazed on the center of the stage. Attacking this sprouted cactus stem will deal large damage to 0², so players should try and prioritize their attacks towards its halo if they can. That is easier said than done, however, as 0² will be throwing out many attacks.

White Bullet: This is the attack 0² will most often use. It starts out as a white, sparkling orb that goes in a straight line at which angle it's fired, then halfway through, it separates into four smaller bullets. The main version has mid-low knockback and little damage, and the split version does less of both, but is also harder to avoid. Based on 0²'s singular attack from Kirby 64.

Homing Hole: 0² charges up a dark projectile from its eye, then release it. It slowly fires forward, but homes onto the player for a few seconds. Has moderate knockback and damage. Partially based on one of Dark Matter Swordsman's attacks in Dreamland 2.

Black Lightning: Shoots a long and slender lightning bolt in the opposite horizontal area from the player, then shoots another one close to it before becoming a bit more unpredictable the last two strikes. Does a fair bit of electrical damage but has low knockback. Based on one of Dark Matter's attacks in Dreamland 3.

Blood Flurry: Flies into the background and spreads around red bullets that try and target for the player's location. The bullets have a similar knockback and damage to the White Bullet, but are less predictable. Based on one of Zero's attacks from Dreamland 3.

Matter Laser: Locks into a vertical position while its eye glows white and energy charges, and then shoots a ginormous laser that does massive damage and knockback to whatever it hits. Best move to whichever one of the three of platforms 0² isn't looking at, as this laser's range covers up a third of the screen horizontally. Based on one of Dark Mind's attacks in Amazing Mirror.

Soul Dive: the background turns fiery as 0² launches rockets itself into the background and exiting from whatever the side of the stage it's on. After a few seconds, it rockets through the bottom half of the stage, then the top. Another high knockback and damaging move. Staying near the middle and then moving up and down or vice versa is the strategy to avoiding this one. Based on one of Drawcia Soul's attacks in Canvas Curse.

When 0² is defeated, its wings begin exploding, as it whimpers and descends slowly to the bottom from the background then explodes. Its normal boss theme would be the 02 Battle (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards) remix from Brawl, but would be changed with different tracks depending on the classic mode route.

For all the bosses I'm submitting for this. I'm imaging they'd be a part of a new arena-like mode from the Kirby games, where you fight both old and new bosses in succession. However, I would also add this boss retroactively into a new World of Light map, and replace Master Hand fights in some other character's routes with this, most notably:

:ultdarksamus:- Fits her dark theme (as 0² is the ruler of all the Dark Matter). Plays an original rip of Miracle Matter
:ultmewtwo:- Both of them have Two in the name, and are both abomination-type recreations of the sort. Still has Pikachu on his side. Also plays Battle! (Lorekeeper Zinnia) as before.
:ultkingdedede:- I don't want to tear Kirby away from his fight with Marx, so Dedede would team up with Kirby in this fight, as the two of them were in Kirby 64. Plays the same music as normal.
I’m really digging the artwork here. Good job!

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think I’ll be able to post a boss for this round, since I’m going on vacation tomorrow. That’s a pity, considering I love Kirby games. Well, c’est la vie...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

0² (Zero Two)

View attachment 232232

TKOWL TKOWL This is great. Keep it up when you get the chance!

…Oh, I just realized; Ganondorf could probably work against this boss as well.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Man oh man did I miss that TKOWL TKOWL style. Dude rolls up and shows us all how it's done in a moment, every time

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Whale Noise.png

Boss
Fatty Whale (In this boss fight he's pretty massive, while in KSS he was small)
------
Game of Origin
Kirby Super Star (1996)
------

What does this Boss do?
The unique thing about this fight is that Fatty Whale can attack from the background, if you knock off his pipe he changes to a crimson colour and gets angrier and dangerously attacks even more. (Sorry if there wasn't enough)
------

Fatty Whale's Attacks
Water Spout: Fatty Whale blasts water from his spout. (17% of damage)
Tail Slap: Fatty Whale slams his tail downwards destroying part of the pier. (23% of damage)
Blubber Roll: Fatty Whale beaches himself and rolls around. (25% of damage)
Tidal Wave: Fatty Whale breaches and creates a giant wave. (55% of damage)
Land Bounce: Fatty Whale jumps on the pier and tries to squash you. (26% of damage)
Whale Charge: Fatty Whale charges from the left or right destroying the entire pier. (60% of damage)
Rock Fling: Fatty Whale throws a chunk of rock. (Rock does 12% of damage)
------

Setting of Fight
Aquarius which is struck by a hurricane, cyclone and a typhoon at the same time. (the entire ocean is all dark and stormy)
------

Boss Intro
The player's character is on a broken pier in the middle of a storm when something bursts out of the water revealing Fatty Whale who lets out a bellow with his pipe blasting steam. Start of Battle
------

Boss Defeat
Fatty Whale thrashes around in the water before letting out one last cry as he sinks into the ocean along with said storm going away leaving the area all sunny. End of Battle
------

Who fights him in Classic Mode?
:ultduckhunt: (Land/Sea animals fighting each other)
:ultpikachu: (Electric V.S Water)
:ultsonic: (Memories of a whale chasing him)
:ultbanjokazooie: (Fought Lord Woo Fak Fak who is an aquatic creature)
:ultkingdedede: (Clash of the fatties)
:ultinkling: (Inklings can't swim in water)
:ultyoshi: (Reptile v.s Mammal, Dinosaurs are reptiles and whales are mammals)
:ultpokemontrainer: (Mistaken for a Wailord)

Where is he in the Light Realm?
Fatty Whale is found in a new sub-area named "Wrecked Pier" which is full of water-dwelling Spirits with the whale himself at the end.
And finished it! (DO'H! Forgotted the knockback!)
tumblr_noo7tuDoit1spmwbxo1_500.jpg

If your wondering what that is, this is Pakicetus and was a early whale with legs before they evolved to the ones we know today.

Last edited:

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
I've lurked on this thread a couple of times before, but I've now decided to give this a shot myself; here goes nothing!

Dyna Blade
Origin: Kirby Super Star (1996)

KSS_Dyna_Blade.png

Move Set:

-Hover: Dyna Blade will flap her wings to gain height as she ascends to about halfway towards the top of the screen. Afterwards she will slowly traverse the stage, dealing damage and negligible knockback to the player should they make contact with DB. Eventually, DB will descend to the ground near the player and begin her next sequence of attacks. Once Dyna Blade reaches 25% of her total health, the descent will instead be replaced with a telegraphed high-velocity slam that deals about 30% damage and delivers knockback similar to a Bob-bomb's should the player be caught underneath DB's strike
-Fireball: One of the moves that may follow Hover, DB will give out a loud caw before opening her beak to fire a flurry of fireballs at the player. The fire balls fire in a sequential arc that causes players that are hit by them to get comboed into the subsequent fireballs. The attack racks up percent pretty quickly, at the cost of dealing minimal knockback. May be reflected and/or absorbed.
-Extension Peck: Another move that may follow Hover, DB caws loudly before rotating her head briefly, she zeroes in the player's location and then very quickly extends her head to peck the player in range that may cover the length of the boss stage depending on distance. This move does serious damage and is DB's basic option for KO'ing the player. However, the move may be dodged with a well-timed jump or dodge and may even be shielded (but only if the shield is full, any lower results in an automatic shield break).
-Background Charge: Sometimes, DB will rapidly ascend through the top of the screen out of the player's sight, before rushing towards their positions at high speed from the background, similar to its original attack in Super Star and the Ridley move in his Brawl boss battle. The hit does comparable damage and knockback to Rathalos's background charge and is also a KO option for DB. Once again, a well-timed dodge or jump will reliably avoid the attack.
-Wind: Once DB hits 30% health, a minor wind effect will enter the battlefield, pushing the player and making DB's attacks more difficult to dodge, DB will also go through her attacks alot quicker and move faster.
-Hover Claw: At 25% health, DB may skip the usual ending to her Hover move and instead swoop in downwards bell curve towards the player to grab them with her claw. If successful She will gradually rise in the air and slam the player, doing devastating damage and KO'ing at around 80%. However, the player may mash throughout the entire animation and either escape the slam altogether or greatly nerf the knockback of the slam if the mashing threshold is surpassed just as they are slammed.

Defeat Animation: DB Caws loudly and flashes briefly before flying into the air and then plummeting off the cliff out of sight.
Boss Arena: Dyna Blade's Nest from Super Star, scaled to be comparable to Ganon's arena in size.
Boss Theme: Boss Theme Medley- Kirby Series (Brawl)
World Of Light: As a DLC boss, Dyna Blade does not appear in World of Light proper but instead is featured in a Gauntlet sub-area unlocked after the post-game. The Gauntlet also allows for players to rematch the base game bosses aside from Galeem/Dharkon in order to farm their spirits without needing to start a new game. DB's battle is however guarded by a host of new Kirby spirits.
Classic Mode: DB will randomly appear on these character's routes as their boss battle instead of their default boss
-:ultfalco:: Stays in touch with Falco's "Soaring" theme; birb vs birb (Plays Sector Omega-Star Fox Zero)
-:ultpiranha:: Birds eat plants and DB is a newcomer as a boss (Plays DB's default theme)
-:ultkingdedede:: Battle between classic Kirby enemies who aren't exactly "evil" (Plays DB's default theme)
-:ultolimar:: DB gives the feel of a dangerous predator that would eat pikmin and threaten Olimar (Plays Fragment of Hope)

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Computer Virus
Kirby Super Star/Kirby Super Star Ultra
KSS_Computer_Virus.png
In an crystal filled cave, nothing can be heard except for faint ambiance, until a computer window pops up in the background with an alarming noise accompanying it! Several more appear with the same sound, filling the background until it turns into blue screen with white text all over, reminiscent of a BSOD. That turns into black nothingness, before the cavern background returns, and three computer windows appear overlapping each other as the fight with Computer Virus begins!

The Stage
A remastered version of the crystalline cavern area Computer Virus is fought in their original appearance, the arena consists of simply flat ground and walk-off edges. However, the stage is pretty small, only slightly bigger than any of Flat Zones iterations (and with no overlay blocking the edges. With a layout like this, you can die easier than you'd think if you don't stay alert.

Properties & Attacks
The boss itself is made of five entities, but the the windows themselves loom in the background, and combined fill up about 3/4 of the screen. The enemies it spawns are also quite large, with the smallest of the bunch, the Slime, is double Ridley's height and width.

Being a satirical take on turn-based combat and tradition RPGs, the enemies Computer Virus spawns are invulnerable except for when it's the player's turn, indicated by (Fighter) attacks! appearing on the top window and the enemy dropping from the enemy window. They will stand in place for a brief period of about 3 seconds before becoming invulnerable again and return to their original place. Attacking the enemy while it's vulnerable makes the enemy electronically fizzle, but not flinch or move at all from taking damage. The boss's health bar doesn't go down any from just damaging the foe, but the Life window to their side has the enemy's health, and depleting it will defeat the enemy and cause the boss health bar to go down by 1/5th.

Every player turn is followed by an enemy turn, where they will perform an attack. The attacks able to be used vary depending on the enemy, getting progressively harder to dodge and having more dangerous effects the further along you go. The battle will start with the Slime and progress down the list.

A Slime appears!
The Hero attacks!

Slime
HP: 60
Size: 2x Ridley's size
  • The Slime will spend most of it's turns being rather ineffective. It can spend its turn sleeping, trying to escape (which always fails), be surprised by something, or try to call for a pal (which will also always fail).
  • Occasionally, the slime will actually attack by shooting a small star at the player's current position, the same kind Kirby and Dedede spit out with their neutral specials. The star does 2.5% and barely sends the player anywhere, and doesn't kill for a long time.
You beat the Slime!
A Puppet appears!
Rosalina & Luma attack!

Puppet
HP: 80
Size: 1.5x taller than Slime
  • Like the Slime, the Puppet will sometimes waste turns. It will sometimes spend its turn laughing, screaming, dancing, running in circles, or attempting to self-destruct (which, again, always fails).
  • The Puppet will cast a hex on the player, which surrounds them in a shadowy aura, but is ultimately harmless. Their movement speed and weight will drastically decrease and increase respectively, but given the low amount of mobility needed for the fight, it's barely a hindrance. This debuff will disappear after the Puppet's next turn.
  • The Puppet will occasionally attack in the same fashion as the slime, but will shoot three stars instead of just one, with about a second of buffer after each star. These stars a little stronger, each dealing 7.5% and a little but more knockback, but can be shielded rather easily.
You beat the Puppet!
The Magician appears!
Robin attacks!

Magician
HP: 100
Size: 3x Ridley's size
  • The Magician will attack every turn it gets rather than meandering around. The Magician, and every enemy after it, will also get the first turn upon spawn rather than giving the player a free first turn. Its most basic attack is using their wand to shoot three stars at the player, faster and more rapid fire than the Puppet. Deals the same amount of damage for each one, but does a bit more shield damage and knockback.
  • The Magician casts a fire spell, shooting a stream of fire towards whichever side of the screen the player is on. Deals 3.5% every hit, which can rack up fast if hit multiple times during the stream. If the player can quickly switch which side of the screen their on as the Magician casts the spell, they won't turn around or change the direction of their spell.
  • The Magician casts an ice spell, which is one quick, icy projectile that flies to the player's current position when cast. Deals 10% and freezes if hit, and while it has low kill potential, it freezes longer than other freezing effects and can eat into what little time the player has to counter attack on their turn.
  • The Magician casts a Guard Spell, which will make them flash white during the player's next turn. Damage taken during this turn is reduced by 75%.
You beat the Magician!
An Evil Knight appears!
Ike attacks!

Evil Knight
HP: 125
Size: Giga Bowser
  • The Evil Knight's main attack involves shooting five stars at the player, faster than the Puppet but slower than the Magician. each star does about 6% damage, and low-medium knockback. But if you aren't careful around 80% or higher, the stars can end up comboing you past the stage's small boundaries or killing you outright if you linger near the edges.
  • The Evil knight brings down his sword, creating a crescent-shaped projectile that targets where the player was last before returning like a boomerang. He fires two, one-after-another by default, but at low health will fire up to four in a row. Each one deals 9% on contact with medium knockback that can kill at higher percent ranges.
  • The Evil Knight performs a freezing slash, creating a Blade Beam like projectile that travels from the Evil Knight across the ground and off the screen, in the direction of whichever side of the screen the player was on when initiated. It's a bit tall, but can be shielded in exchange for some decent shield damage, or simply jumped over or spot/air dodged with proper timing. If it hits, it deals 13% and freezes, keeping the player frozen longer similar to the Magician's ice spell, but also has a bit of launch power that can end up killing the player at early-mid percents, similar but weaker in practice to Lucas's PK Freeze.
  • The Evil Knight throws knifes, causing a downpour of small blades from the top of the screen. Each blade does 6.5% on hit with low knockback, which while it won't kill, can cause them to combo into another knife if the player is unlucky or has poor reflexes. By default, the Evil Knight will launch six knives, eight knives at half health, and ten knives at low health.
  • The Evil Knight stores power, which will make them flash white during the player's next turn. On the next turn, the Evil Knight will deal 1.2x damage and knockback on his attack.
  • The Evil Knight raises his shield, which will make him flash white during the player's next turn. Damage taken during this turn is reduced by 75%.
You beat the Evil Knight!
A Great Dragon appears!
The Great Dragon became furious!
Charizard Attacks!

Great Dragon
HP: 200
Size: 1.5x Giga Bowser

After defeating the Evil Knight, the fight breaks away from the turn based style for a more traditional finisher. The Great Dragon becomes more than a stylized sprite, becoming a 3D model and giant dragon that hovers in the background, but close enough to the foreground that it can still be hit at all times. The enemy window vanishes, but the other two still linger in the background, showing flavor text and the Great Dragon's remaining health.
  • Between attacks, The Great Dragon will reposition itself, either in the center, left, right, or top left or top right of the screen before attacking.
  • The Great Dragon aims where the player currently is, and fires three rapid fire stars that all hit in the same place. They deal 3.5% each, except for the last one dealing 10% damage with high knockback that can kill easily.
  • The Great Dragon breathes fiery breath from its mouth, indicated by glowing fire building in its mouth before it lets loose. This fire breath is one long-lasting hitbox that deals a single, strong hit of 22% and medium knockback. Great Dragon will only use this move from the center of the stage, firing in one direction. However, if the player tries to fake them out like with the Magician's Fire Spell, the Great Dragon will quickly switch sides before letting loose.
  • The Great Dragon slashes with their talons, performing a melee attack by flying to where the player is before slashing twice. The first slash will always combo into the second, dealing a total of 16% damage with medium-high knockback. Shielding isn't super smart, as both slashes deal a good chunk of shield damage, so the better option is to move away once the Great Dragon locks onto where you are/were to avoid the slashes.
  • The Great Dragon flaps its wings, creating a powerful wind that pushes the player towards the blast zone. Continually running towards the Great Dragon is the best strategy until it stops to avoid getting pushed off screen. The Great Dragon can only use this move if it is not in the center of the screen.
  • The Great Dragon petrifies its body, flashing white for a few brief moments before doing its next attack. During this time, the damage dealt to Great Dragon is reduced by 75%.
Once defeated, the Great Dragon reels back, lets out a roar, before it's body and roar digitally fizzle out. The text window displays (Fighter) defeated all the enemies! before the two remaining windows vanish.

Utilization
The following characters have Computer Virus as their Classic Mode endboss, or have Computer Virus appear in some form.
:ultkirby: - One of the earlier rounds in his route being removed, after the round versus Dedede, Kirby fights Computer Virus as a boss before his bonus round/final battle against Marx. This serves as a reference Kirby Super Star, whose episodic layout had players fight King Dedede in Spring Breeze, Computer Virus in The Great Cave Offensive, and then Marx as the final boss of Milky Way Wishes and the whole game.
:ultness:/:ultlucas: - Grouping these together because they share the same reasoning. Their series of origin is one of the wackiest turn-based RPGs out there to date, even if the boss itself more so references the JRPG fantasy style of games.
:ultgnw: - His route showcases classic characters and stages in reverse chronological order. Computer Virus becomes the penultimate round of the route, with the multi-man swarm of Mr. Game & Watches becoming the final round of the route.
:ultdarkpit: - His Round 4 is replaced with a fight against Computer Virus. Given that it's a physical computer program, one can only assume something or someone created it.
:ulthero: - A battle between a parody of classic RPG battles and representatives of some of the pioneers of the genre itself is a match made in heaven.

The theme that plays when fighting Computer Virus under no special conditions is Battle OS from Kirby Super Star, switching to Boss Theme Medley once the Great Dragon appears.

In World of Light, the electronic maze area has all but its leftmost exit blocked off by glitchy terrain. The treasure usually hiding in the middle of the maze will, once interacted with, glitch out before turning into the boss aura that represents bosses in the overworld, and Computer Virus can be fought. Defeating them removes all the glitchy effects around the maze, letting the player enter/exit it from any angle. This boss is not necessary to complete the game, but makes traversal of the maze and the areas surrounding it much easier.

A mode that'll incorporate every boss I make for this contest in is a Boss Gauntlet mode that is unlocked after beating World of Light and getting the true ending. This gauntlet has the player choose from one of three random bosses to fight, and with each progressing fight won, the difficulty is increased (bosses get increased defenses, boosted attack power, etc.) The player has to hold out as long as they can, similar to Master Orders/Crazy Orders, and can occasionally fight bosses a level or two harder than the difficulty they are currently on for the reward of healing items. At the end of the mode, which is dictated by whenever the player thinks they can't handle any more, they'll fight Galeem, Dharkon, or Galeem/Dharkon as the final boss. How many bosses they beat before hand will affect their difficulty, but also increase the number of stocks the player gets to fall back on for getting so far, maxing out at 5 stocks.

Computer Virus does not get a new intro in this mode, but does have one slight change. With how pitifully easy the Slime and Puppet phases are, they are removed when fought in this mode, and the boss starts with the Magician phase to save time.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Computer Virus
Kirby Super Star/Kirby Super Star Ultra
View attachment 232434
In an crystal filled cave, nothing can be heard except for faint ambiance, until a computer window pops up in the background with an alarming noise accompanying it! Several more appear with the same sound, filling the background until it turns into blue screen with white text all over, reminiscent of a BSOD. That turns into black nothingness, before the cavern background returns, and three computer windows appear overlapping each other as the fight with Computer Virus begins!

The Stage
A remastered version of the crystalline cavern area Computer Virus is fought in their original appearance, the arena consists of simply flat ground and walk-off edges. However, the stage is pretty small, only slightly bigger than any of Flat Zones iterations (and with no overlay blocking the edges. With a layout like this, you can die easier than you'd think if you don't stay alert.

Properties & Attacks
The boss itself is made of five entities, but the the windows themselves loom in the background, and combined fill up about 3/4 of the screen. The enemies it spawns are also quite large, with the smallest of the bunch, the Slime, is double Ridley's height and width.

Being a satirical take on turn-based combat and tradition RPGs, the enemies Computer Virus spawns are invulnerable except for when it's the player's turn, indicated by (Fighter) attacks! appearing on the top window and the enemy dropping from the enemy window. They will stand in place for a brief period of about 3 seconds before becoming invulnerable again and return to their original place. Attacking the enemy while it's vulnerable makes the enemy electronically fizzle, but not flinch or move at all from taking damage. The boss's health bar doesn't go down any from just damaging the foe, but the Life window to their side has the enemy's health, and depleting it will defeat the enemy and cause the boss health bar to go down by 1/5th.

Every player turn is followed by an enemy turn, where they will perform an attack. The attacks able to be used vary depending on the enemy, getting progressively harder to dodge and having more dangerous effects the further along you go. The battle will start with the Slime and progress down the list.

A Slime appears!
The Hero attacks!

Slime
HP: 60
Size: 2x Ridley's size
  • The Slime will spend most of it's turns being rather ineffective. It can spend its turn sleeping, trying to escape (which always fails), be surprised by something, or try to call for a pal (which will also always fail).
  • Occasionally, the slime will actually attack by shooting a small star at the player's current position, the same kind Kirby and Dedede spit out with their neutral specials. The star does 2.5% and barely sends the player anywhere, and doesn't kill for a long time.
You beat the Slime!
A Puppet appears!
Rosalina & Luma attack!

Puppet
HP: 80
Size: 1.5x taller than Slime
  • Like the Slime, the Puppet will sometimes waste turns. It will sometimes spend its turn laughing, screaming, dancing, running in circles, or attempting to self-destruct (which, again, always fails).
  • The Puppet will cast a hex on the player, which surrounds them in a shadowy aura, but is ultimately harmless. Their movement speed and weight will drastically decrease and increase respectively, but given the low amount of mobility needed for the fight, it's barely a hindrance. This debuff will disappear after the Puppet's next turn.
  • The Puppet will occasionally attack in the same fashion as the slime, but will shoot three stars instead of just one, with about a second of buffer after each star. These stars a little stronger, each dealing 7.5% and a little but more knockback, but can be shielded rather easily.
You beat the Puppet!
The Magician appears!
Robin attacks!

Magician
HP: 100
Size: 3x Ridley's size
  • The Magician will attack every turn it gets rather than meandering around. The Magician, and every enemy after it, will also get the first turn upon spawn rather than giving the player a free first turn. Its most basic attack is using their wand to shoot three stars at the player, faster and more rapid fire than the Puppet. Deals the same amount of damage for each one, but does a bit more shield damage and knockback.
  • The Magician casts a fire spell, shooting a stream of fire towards whichever side of the screen the player is on. Deals 3.5% every hit, which can rack up fast if hit multiple times during the stream. If the player can quickly switch which side of the screen their on as the Magician casts the spell, they won't turn around or change the direction of their spell.
  • The Magician casts an ice spell, which is one quick, icy projectile that flies to the player's current position when cast. Deals 10% and freezes if hit, and while it has low kill potential, it freezes longer than other freezing effects and can eat into what little time the player has to counter attack on their turn.
  • The Magician casts a Guard Spell, which will make them flash white during the player's next turn. Damage taken during this turn is reduced by 75%.
You beat the Magician!
An Evil Knight appears!
Ike attacks!

Evil Knight
HP: 125
Size: Giga Bowser
  • The Evil Knight's main attack involves shooting five stars at the player, faster than the Puppet but slower than the Magician. each star does about 6% damage, and low-medium knockback. But if you aren't careful around 80% or higher, the stars can end up comboing you past the stage's small boundaries or killing you outright if you linger near the edges.
  • The Evil knight brings down his sword, creating a crescent-shaped projectile that targets where the player was last before returning like a boomerang. He fires two, one-after-another by default, but at low health will fire up to four in a row. Each one deals 9% on contact with medium knockback that can kill at higher percent ranges.
  • The Evil Knight performs a freezing slash, creating a Blade Beam like projectile that travels from the Evil Knight across the ground and off the screen, in the direction of whichever side of the screen the player was on when initiated. It's a bit tall, but can be shielded in exchange for some decent shield damage, or simply jumped over or spot/air dodged with proper timing. If it hits, it deals 13% and freezes, keeping the player frozen longer similar to the Magician's ice spell, but also has a bit of launch power that can end up killing the player at early-mid percents, similar but weaker in practice to Lucas's PK Freeze.
  • The Evil Knight throws knifes, causing a downpour of small blades from the top of the screen. Each blade does 6.5% on hit with low knockback, which while it won't kill, can cause them to combo into another knife if the player is unlucky or has poor reflexes. By default, the Evil Knight will launch six knives, eight knives at half health, and ten knives at low health.
  • The Evil Knight stores power, which will make them flash white during the player's next turn. On the next turn, the Evil Knight will deal 1.2x damage and knockback on his attack.
  • The Evil Knight raises his shield, which will make him flash white during the player's next turn. Damage taken during this turn is reduced by 75%.
You beat the Evil Knight!
A Great Dragon appears!
The Great Dragon became furious!
Charizard Attacks!

Great Dragon
HP: 200
Size: 1.5x Giga Bowser

After defeating the Evil Knight, the fight breaks away from the turn based style for a more traditional finisher. The Great Dragon becomes more than a stylized sprite, becoming a 3D model and giant dragon that hovers in the background, but close enough to the foreground that it can still be hit at all times. The enemy window vanishes, but the other two still linger in the background, showing flavor text and the Great Dragon's remaining health.
  • Between attacks, The Great Dragon will reposition itself, either in the center, left, right, or top left or top right of the screen before attacking.
  • The Great Dragon aims where the player currently is, and fires three rapid fire stars that all hit in the same place. They deal 3.5% each, except for the last one dealing 10% damage with high knockback that can kill easily.
  • The Great Dragon breathes fiery breath from its mouth, indicated by glowing fire building in its mouth before it lets loose. This fire breath is one long-lasting hitbox that deals a single, strong hit of 22% and medium knockback. Great Dragon will only use this move from the center of the stage, firing in one direction. However, if the player tries to fake them out like with the Magician's Fire Spell, the Great Dragon will quickly switch sides before letting loose.
  • The Great Dragon slashes with their talons, performing a melee attack by flying to where the player is before slashing twice. The first slash will always combo into the second, dealing a total of 16% damage with medium-high knockback. Shielding isn't super smart, as both slashes deal a good chunk of shield damage, so the better option is to move away once the Great Dragon locks onto where you are/were to avoid the slashes.
  • The Great Dragon flaps its wings, creating a powerful wind that pushes the player towards the blast zone. Continually running towards the Great Dragon is the best strategy until it stops to avoid getting pushed off screen. The Great Dragon can only use this move if it is not in the center of the screen.
  • The Great Dragon petrifies its body, flashing white for a few brief moments before doing its next attack. During this time, the damage dealt to Great Dragon is reduced by 75%.
Once defeated, the Great Dragon reels back, lets out a roar, before it's body and roar digitally fizzle out. The text window displays (Fighter) defeated all the enemies! before the two remaining windows vanish.

Utilization
The following characters have Computer Virus as their Classic Mode endboss, or have Computer Virus appear in some form.
:ultkirby: - One of the earlier rounds in his route being removed, after the round versus Dedede, Kirby fights Computer Virus as a boss before his bonus round/final battle against Marx. This serves as a reference Kirby Super Star, whose episodic layout had players fight King Dedede in Spring Breeze, Computer Virus in The Great Cave Offensive, and then Marx as the final boss of Milky Way Wishes and the whole game.
:ultness:/:ultlucas: - Grouping these together because they share the same reasoning. Their series of origin is one of the wackiest turn-based RPGs out there to date, even if the boss itself more so references the JRPG fantasy style of games.
:ultgnw: - His route showcases classic characters and stages in reverse chronological order. Computer Virus becomes the penultimate round of the route, with the multi-man swarm of Mr. Game & Watches becoming the final round of the route.
:ultdarkpit: - His Round 4 is replaced with a fight against Computer Virus. Given that it's a physical computer program, one can only assume something or someone created it.
:ulthero: - A battle between a parody of classic RPG battles and representatives of some of the pioneers of the genre itself is a match made in heaven.

The theme that plays when fighting Computer Virus under no special conditions is Battle OS from Kirby Super Star, switching to Boss Theme Medley once the Great Dragon appears.

In World of Light, the electronic maze area has all but its leftmost exit blocked off by glitchy terrain. The treasure usually hiding in the middle of the maze will, once interacted with, glitch out before turning into the boss aura that represents bosses in the overworld, and Computer Virus can be fought. Defeating them removes all the glitchy effects around the maze, letting the player enter/exit it from any angle. This boss is not necessary to complete the game, but makes traversal of the maze and the areas surrounding it much easier.

A mode that'll incorporate every boss I make for this contest in is a Boss Gauntlet mode that is unlocked after beating World of Light and getting the true ending. This gauntlet has the player choose from one of three random bosses to fight, and with each progressing fight won, the difficulty is increased (bosses get increased defenses, boosted attack power, etc.) The player has to hold out as long as they can, similar to Master Orders/Crazy Orders, and can occasionally fight bosses a level or two harder than the difficulty they are currently on for the reward of healing items. At the end of the mode, which is dictated by whenever the player thinks they can't handle any more, they'll fight Galeem, Dharkon, or Galeem/Dharkon as the final boss. How many bosses they beat before hand will affect their difficulty, but also increase the number of stocks the player gets to fall back on for getting so far, maxing out at 5 stocks.

Computer Virus does not get a new intro in this mode, but does have one slight change. With how pitifully easy the Slime and Puppet phases are, they are removed when fought in this mode, and the boss starts with the Magician phase to save time.
I actually forgot about this boss. It's still one of my favorites in the series.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
you guys

Fire Emblem in one hour

I'm about to sell my soul rip

D

Deleted member

By the way, how's progress on the grades, @psb123?
Well out of the four judges, we've got 2 who are pretty much good to go at any time, 1 who hasn't really commented on their status about this yet, and 1 who is not sure if they'll even be able to give grades for this round. Though whether that means they won't have them ready before Round 5 ends or if they just won't be able to grade round 4 is something I'm not quite sure of yet.

So basically we're halfway there. If the other half isn't closed in a couple of days, I'll need to figure out a course of action to take about it.

D

Deleted member

you guys

Fire Emblem in one hour

I'm about to sell my soul rip
Ah yes. That one game that looks really freaking cool, but I won't be able to buy for a while due to a combination of living expenses and having a bunch of games from prior years I need to pick up.

D

Deleted member

Update:

If the remaining half of Round 4 grades aren't done until about, say, 5:00pm pacific time or so tomorrow, then I'm going to have to just grade that round based on what has been submitted.

With that in mind, I'm not going to declare Round 5 to be over until about an hour or two after that. Just so we can avoid biting off more than we can chew.

D

Deleted member

Yeah...........I think this has gone on too long. We've only got a set of grades from two judges, but I'm going to just go ahead and grade Round 4 based on that. This also means that Round 5 is closed as well. When can we expect grades for that round? I'm setting a time limit of no later than Wednesday. Even if not every judge has their grades for Round 5 in by then, that will be when those results are posted.

But for now, let's knock out Round 4.

psb123's grades:

Odolwa by Perkilator Perkilator

Utilization: 5/5

Not much to complain about really. Descriptions on the overall post are pretty light. But you know what they say. Short, sweet, and to the point. Classic Modes are sensible and plentiful. And the World of Light area sounds appealing. A little small in the realm of details about that last one. But it's easy enough to envision.

Creativity: 10/10

You'll see later down in the post that Cosmic was a little concerned about the overall low number of attacks this boss has. I was wondering about that for a time myself, but all in all I think I'll give it a pass. Small amount of attacks sure, but the description leads to believe that this an engaging enough fight even so. And my memory might be a little foggy here, so don't quote me on this, but I think Rathalos has just about the same amount of attacks as Odolwa here. Since that fight works out just fine, this one should too.

Balance: 10/10

Tis a shame really that it's easier to say more about entries that have problems to them then it is with entries that don't. But the latter result does mean you did a good job with the point category in question so every Cloud has a silver lining I guess.

...............Even though Cloud doesn't actually have a silver color palette.

Overall Score: 25/25

Way to go! You've received the 2nd perfect score I've given in this contest.

Blight Ganons by GolisoPower GolisoPower

Utilization: 4/5

Not bad. But not perfect. I like the new World of Light area, but it would have helped you out if you mentioned other kinds of spirits besides Breath of the Wild ones. The Classic Mode runs could use some work too. There's a good amount of them but a lot of the reasoning is a little basic. And Sonic in my opinion feels out of place fighting this boss. Sonic 06 is very unfavorably viewed. You're going to need more than a reference to Mephiles to make me thing a boss is good for Sonic.

Creativity: 9/10

I think this is where your boss shines the most. Basing if off of the gauntlet if you go straight for Hyrule Castle was a pretty darn good move. And the movement and attack patterns of the bosses capture how they were in Breath of the Wild. My only real gripe is the instance, or I guess instances since there's technically two, of this fight being a little TOO faithful to the source material.

Those being the stunning from Perfect Shields, and speed increase from dodges. Those aren't really needed and as the balance score will cover, they do more harm than good.

Balance: 8/10

Most of it works out well enough. And I do like how you shortened the health of each blight compared to normal bosses. But the two wrenches thrown into the traditional Smash formula I mentioned at the end of Creativity are a bit much in terms of advantages for the player. Don't forget that a boss being made too easy can work against this score as well.

Not to mention I'm a little worried that the Windblight Gust might be a bit too powerful. Hard to quell that fear when the amount they push players away is unclarified.

Overall Score: 21/25

Twinmold by Kevandre Kevandre

Utilization: 3/5

This ones a little too bare bones for my liking. Some of the classic runs are pretty good. I like Incineroar's in particular. But most of them are underwhelming. Ridley for example barely seems to have any actual reason to fight this thing. There's also no new World of Light area. Just throwing him into an existing one.

This kind of submission would have really been helped by a new mode idea or two.

Creativity: 4/10

This isn't really a boss fight. It's more akin to Target Practice than anything. All Twinmold does is just fly around and occasionally make some quicksand. Faithful to the source material sure. But that's kind of a problem when the source material itself had this as an underwhelming boss. I do like the Giant Mask reference via the Super Mushroom though.

Balance: 5/10

This seems more like a patience test than a skill test. You can only damage him on head or tail and you do less damage when not under the effects of the Super Mushroom. Rather than an engaging boss fight, this just feels more like a chore that you just want to end.

Overall Score: 12/25

Stallord by Mamboo07 Mamboo07

Nice. We've seen some pretty good ideas for new World of Light areas. But a grave of Fossils sounds particularly interesting in my personal opinion. The batch of Classic mode runs is also really solid. I especially like the ones for Yoshi and Olimar.

I don't really see much wrong here. Despite the background attacks there doesn't really seem to be any moments of him hiding in the background where he can't be damaged. Plus the bones regrowing after he's just a head for a bit and the bone boomerang attack really add some creative twists to build on what this boss was in the source game.

It is an improvement from your Phantom Train idea. So keep at it with trying to get the balance down, you're making progress after all. Even so, the attacks this one has are just too powerful.

Overall Score: 20/25

Gohma by LoZ00 LoZ00

It's hard to really do much better than this in the Utilization category unless you add new modes. Solid new World of Light area (with an appreciated alternate take on where she'd be if we don't get any) and those are some really good classic runs. I guess it would be nice if Villager fought this thing for the same reason Isabelle does. But that's not worth taking points off.

Basing the appearance on Ocarina of Time but incorporating attacks from multiple appearance including the unexpected but welcome Cadence of Hyrule? Sign me up! And honestly in the realm of the source games those moves are from, it's a pretty faithful. I don't think Gohmaracas in Cadence of Hyrule has a sound wave attack (It might though. I don't really remember) but either way it works out just fine.

The only concern I had was the ceiling. For two reason. The first reason being that sealing off the top blast zone could lead to a cave of life which MIGHT be considered an unfair advantage for the player. The second reason is that I was a little worried on whether or not you could actually hit Gohma when she's on the ceiling.

But you took note of that first reason by making it clear that Gohma's attacks are meant to launch players horizontally while rarely launching them vertically. Nicely done. And taking into account the Galleom arena level size of this arena combined with the size of Gohma herself, It would seem to me that is indeed possible to land damage when Gohma is on the ceiling.

Overall Score: 25/25

Way to go! You've received the 3rd perfect score I've given in this contest. And it's the second one I've given in the span of one round. I told you guys Zelda does a really good job with bosses ;)

Koloktos by THE SLOTH THE SLOTH

Standard stuff about a good amount of fitting classic runs and a new world of light area but you really went above and beyond with the details for those. I'd argue that this is the best set of classic mode runs this round. And the details given to how Koloktos' spirit would benefit players is quite the nice touch.

Also that Boss Gauntlet mode you keep using is the kind of thing that some other contestants really should take a crack at every once in a while. Including it is giving you a noticeable advantage in this contest.

This boss really goes all out with trying to be faithful to the source material. Which in some cases can actually work against a boss. Let's use the Swords and Boomerangs as examples. Adding in exclusive items to a boss fight like that can run the risk of messing a bit too much with the regular Smash formula. But seeing as how these ones function like standard battering and throwing items, I'd say it works out. Plus it seems like it'd be fairly trickier to weaken Koloktos without them.

Can't forget how food can come out from the busted pillars either. Just like how you can get hearts from them in Skyward Sword.

I'm glad you gave Koloktos more health than usual given how often you can stun him. But the foreground pillars and corner ceilings are a bit of an issue. The fist one causes trouble seeing what's going on, and the 2nd one could lead to caves of life.

Overall Score: 23/25

Stone Talus by PeridotGX PeridotGX

Utilization: 2/5

I never thought the amount of health a boss had would be a problem for this point category but in this case, it kind of is. It's purposely made to be a weaker boss than the others in order to feel like a mini-boss. This actually gives it a lot of potential as being, well, a mini-boss that you can fight midway through classic mode while fighting a more powerful boss at the end.

Unfortunately, outside of it replacing the Claus or Hinawa spirit in the final battle, you didn't really utilize that potential. Instead we have a set of classic mode runs that basically gets cut in half on pretty easy to obtain intensity levels. Plus Mega Man's reason for fighting this thing is really weak.

Credit where it's due I am in appreciation for the description of how it would be in a Subspace Emissary type of mode. But even then you skimmed a lot of the details.

Creativity: 7/10

The points lost here are almost entirely because of that wasted potential mentioned earlier. To be fair what is actually there is faithful to the source material. But even then it's still pretty underwhelming.

Balance: 7/10

Taking into account things like it being slow, the weak spot being very vulnerable, and being able to stun it with it's minions, this boss is really easy to defeat. Which is the point as you've stated. So I'll cut you a little bit of slack. But with that lack of it being properly used as a Mini-boss, there are still some problems to be had with it. That and the pound attack is way too overpowered. Insta-kill at as early as 50%? Not exactly a good thing to have.

Overall Score: 16/25

Cosmic77's grades:

"Odolwa" by Perkilator:

A little skimpy on your WoL description, but you did specifically mention a new area and the theme of the Spirits found nearby. The list of characters in Classic are...decent. Some feel like a stretch (Greninja?), but it works well enough.

Regardless of my nitpicking, you checked off all the marks I'm looking for.

Not bad. Seems like you've created a decent moveset for Odolwa that represents him pretty darn well. I especially love the move that summons the insects. That attack felt particularity creative. I also like how you included his eerie chants right before he attacks. Small additions like those add a little extra flair to your boss.

My only complaint with your boss is that he only has five attacks, and two of those attacks are pretty basic (a kick and a slash).

Now this is what I'm looking for in a submission. Excellent descriptions of damage and knockback like these give me a good mental image of how powerful your boss's attacks are and whether or not they need to be toned down.

Anyway, I'm satisfied with your boss. None of the attacks seem overpowered, and I feel like this is a realistic depiction of Odolwa. I would've liked more info on the layout of your stage, but since you mentioned the arena being the same as it was in Woodfall Temple, I'm assuming it's completely flat.

Overall Score: 24/25

"Blight Ganons" by GolisoPower:

The Classic characters are fine, and the WoL addition works well. My only piece of advice is maybe thinking of a better theme for the nearby Spirits instead of just "BotW Spirits". Maybe broaden the theme to nature or dark Spirits?

Aside from that, everything looks great.

Geez, calm down! Might've gone a little overboard with this one. Your boss is certainly creative, but it's REALLY complex. I guess it doesn't really matter though. I can't take points off for a boss being too detailed.

Having four bosses divided into one is an interesting concept we haven't seen before, and it's a smart way to incorporate all of the Blights. I also like how you did your best to represent each of the Blights just like how they are in the game. BotW fans familar with their attacks will surely appreciate that.

You forgot knockback. That's critical information that I need to determine just how dangerous your attacks are. Just because something doesn't deal much damage doesn't mean it can't KO the player.

Try to remember next time. I can promise you that I'll deduct points if I don't see them in a submission.

Overall Score: 23/25

"Twinmold" by Kevandre:

The utilization of your boss was mostly okay. I just wish you've would've done more with WoL. Getting a Zelda boss in a "Zelda-y area" with Spirits from one specific area in the game the boss debuted in isn't as in-depth as I'd like the concept to be.

Creativity: 6/10

You were on the right track, but I feel like you missed a lot of creative opportunities here. Unless I misread, all your boss does is move around the screen really fast in different set patterns. The quicksand attack is the only thing that really got my attention. Had you added more attacks like that one, I would've given you a much higher score.

Not sure how I feel about a boss who has a specific item tied to it. I suppose A Super Mushroom isn't that big of a deal, but I really would've preferred that you didn't include it at all and made players fight the boss the old-fashioned way.

Also, dude. You keep forgetting to go into detail with knockback. "Some knockback" doesn't provide me enough info to determine whether or not your boss's attacks are too powerful.

Overall Score: 17/25

"Stallord" by Poochy756:

Not bad. I love the implementation of a special fossil area in WoL filled with Spirits associated with skeletons and death. Your list of Classic characters could be a bit better (Olimar?), but it does its job well enough.

Suits Stallord well. The different attacks that feature him using his body parts stand out to me the most, especially Rib Boomerang. I also liked the Colossal Swipe attack as well.

Not all of your boss's attacks are out-of-the-ordinary, but your overall moveset is very creative. Well done.

Better than your submission for the SE round, but you still need to work on balancing those damage values. An attack that deals 60% damage could potentially KO a person at 20-30%.

And just like several other contestants. You didn't add knockback descriptions. I keep repeating this every round. If you don't add any in your submission, I will deduct points. That's something I can promise you.

Overall Score: 19/25

"Parasitic Armored Arachnid: Gohma" by LoZ00:

Some of your Classic characters were a bit forced (Isabelle and PT), but most of them were reasonable and made sense with the context you gave me. A WoL area featuring the character traveling through the Great Deku Tree also sounds interesting.

Really enjoyed this boss. You did an excellent job of capturing Gohma and transforming her into something that would work in Smash. I think my favorite attack is Gohma Larva. It's a unique attack, and it really works well for a boss like Gohma.

Also, it's nice how you included a little note at the end of each of your attacks stating where each of them came from. That's something I'd actually like to see other submissions start doing.

You did good. Allowing players to attack other parts of Gohma aside from just the eye was a good call. Some of the damage values were teetering close to a number I consider too high, but I don't think anything in your boss's arsenal is too unreasonable. You also added knockback descriptions to your attacks, which is very much appreciated on my end.

That being said, your stage has a ceiling. I know you needed that for one of Gohma's moves, but I'd recommend avoiding ceilings as much as possible.

Overall Score: 22/25

"Koloktos" by THE SLOTH:

Excellent job on utilizing your boss. You were also very descriptive with your WoL idea, going into detail about the location, the difficulty, the types of Spirits, and the theme.

Not too crazy about your selections for Classic, but I understand how it could be difficult finding suitable characters for a boss like this.

Nicely done. As usual, you created a wonderful boss and provided us with more than enough info to get a clear understanding of how your boss would function in Smash.

The emphasis you put on counterattacking and attacking the heart was nice. It's far from being anything new to Smash (Master Core), but it's still a creative concept regardless. I'm also impressed with how you managed to implement the zany things Koloktos can do with its arms. I really like how his boomerang attack can only be used until he runs out of boomerangs to throw, as oppossed to just having them randomly respawn.

It's not a full ceiling, but I wish you would've stayed away from any kind of wall. They get in the way, and don't add much to the boss fight aside from occasionally saving you from an attack that normally would've killed you.

I appreciate you including knockback in such great detail though. You're one of the few contestants whose done so.

Overall Score: 22/25

"Stone Talus" by PeridotGX:

Anyone who wasn't a Zelda character felt really out of place. Still, the idea of having a boss for lower intensities is a totally new concept as far as I'm aware. Your implementation of Stone Talus in WoL was a little lacking though. If you weren't going to add a new section to the map, then at the very least, maybe you should've had this boss be fought multiple times.

Creativity: 6/10

Having played BotW, this isn't too bad. Stone Talus doesn't really have any attacks aside from flinging its arms and slamming into the ground.

Regardless, I would've liked to have seen a little more effort. I can sense that you were rushing trying to submit this, and you ended up with a boss that's a tad bland.

Balance: 6/10

This is where your submission struggled the most. From the looks of it, your boss would've gotten a very high score had you only included damage and knockback into the descriptions of your attacks. Can't forget to include those.

Overall Score: 16/25

Total Scores:

Perkilator: 49 points

GolisoPower: 44 points

Kevandre: 29 points

Poochy756: 39 points

LoZ00: 47 points

THE SLOTH: 45 points

PeridotGX: 32 points

Odolwa
Wins

Nice Work Perkilator

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Congrats, Perkilator!

And judges? Thank you for the knockback note. I'll be sure to add detail on that to future bosses.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Great job on winning this!:bee:
(Sorry for forgetting the knockback on mine)
I'm happy that I'm doing well trying to balance and improve the boss fight.
By the way remember the Guzzlord boss i did? Yeah... I didn't do great cause this was my first time on your boss creation. (Didn't know about the damage and attacks)

Last edited:
Top Bottom