• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros Arena 2 - 100+ Characters and Stages!

Yangfly Leone

Smash Cadet
Yo! Hello Yang Kai/Jio Inzagi here, I think it's about time I create a thread for this, so here I am, I'll start with a small introduction.

Super Smash Bros Arena 2 is what I consider to be a "revival" of the old Super Smash Bros Rumble, the idea is here is kind of simple: "Quantity > Quality", but even so, nowadays I only do extremely good characters, but back in the time I started it most characters were kinda bad(by bad I mean simple, with simple projectiles, simple moves, nothing hard to code). And by that I've made lots of changes to the engine, and it now kind supports 90% of what people would want to do, as long as they know how to code in gml. The idea also now is for it to be modding-friendly, kind like how mugen works, I created a separate exe file for a version anyone can add new characters they do, and that's why I'm creating a topic here. If you're interested join up the discord server and see the videos I uploaded on how to create a new character, and if you have any question I'll properly answer.

Go download it here:

https://gamejolt.com/games/arenasmashbros/327907
Discord Server:

https://discord.gg/5HE6JZV

You can find videos and pictures in the download page.
Attention: Balancers and character coders are needed e.e

In case you're interested I have some videos on my discord server where I explained how to create a new character.

See ya(ideas and comments are welcome)

Last edited:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Do you plan to add real music instead of MIDI? Looks nice overall, it remind me when I played Super Smash Flash when I was young.

Yangfly Leone

Smash Cadet
Do you plan to add real music instead of MIDI? Looks nice overall, it remind me when I played Super Smash Flash when I was young.
What I do plan is to when uploading, upload the normal version, using mainly MIDIs and then upload a patch that replace said MIDIs with good quality music, since there's so many stages in this game, and I use at least 2 musics per stage, the game would get pretty heavy, and I plan to make it in a way that almost everyone can play it. Right now it's 119 MB, I expect the main release to be at maximum 200 MB. Tough the way I modded the engine, even the player can change the music if he desires so.(It's the matter of just opening the "music.config" file and replacing the desidered song to play.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
What I do plan is to when uploading, upload the normal version, using mainly MIDIs and then upload a patch that replace said MIDIs with good quality music, since there's so many stages in this game, and I use at least 2 musics per stage, the game would get pretty heavy, and I plan to make it in a way that almost everyone can play it. Right now it's 119 MB, I expect the main release to be at maximum 200 MB. Tough the way I modded the engine, even the player can change the music if he desires so.(It's the matter of just opening the "music.config" file and replacing the desidered song to play.
Interesting and understandable. The further releases will contain original tracks or remixes?

Yangfly Leone

Smash Cadet
Interesting and understandable. The further releases will contain original tracks or remixes?
Probably a mix of the two, since I already use some MIDI remixes, I'm going to search for the high quality song of the MIDI in the mp3 format.

Yangfly Leone

Smash Cadet
I hope it won't count as double post, but updates!
As you can see, well, 3 of them recolered echoes, but Marth is here as well! After a long time. I was holding him back to only when I were able to code a perfect 100% bugless counter in the engine, but well, I couldn't so I had to replace his counter with something else. :(
Well he was quite a simply character to code, since Kirito, who already was in the game had almost the same moves, it was a easy template, and implementing his side special was easy enough.
I think I'm going to do this, posting updates here once I get about 4 or so new characters working.
Zelda, Ark, Rex(and Pyra) and Zero Suit Samus is on the queue for the next 4 now. Also I have changed Kirby's Final Smash to the 4 one.

I also modded the engine again to fit up to 96 characters into the character select screen, as that's the total amount of characters I have planned/considered.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
You've done all the work in reviving this thing...alone?

Yangfly Leone

Smash Cadet
You've done all the work in reviving this thing...alone?
yup, tough, if there's someone I want to give thanks, is of course for the original creator, and to everyone who made sprites, that indirectly contributed for this.
Everyone is rightly credited in the credits file in the folder here.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
yup, tough, if there's someone I want to give thanks, is of course for the original creator, and to everyone who made sprites, that indirectly contributed for this.
Everyone is rightly credited in the credits file in the folder here.
I feel like more people should know about this...

Yangfly Leone

Smash Cadet
I feel like more people should know about this...
It's actually my fault for not posting about this anywhere aside from my youtube channel, which has 18 subscribes? last time I cheked was that lol
If people would want to help I would accept, but the point is that once I get the number to 96, I'll write a tutorial on how to make and add your own characters, only using Notepad and of course having the graphics files. Since I already made that all the code involving adding new characters, assists and trophies be loaded from a file, instead of inside the actual game.
My idea is to make it be kind of a Smash Mugen.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
It's actually my fault for not posting about this anywhere aside from my youtube channel, which has 18 subscribes? last time I cheked was that lol
If people would want to help I would accept, but the point is that once I get the number to 96, I'll write a tutorial on how to make and add your own characters, only using Notepad and of course having the graphics files. Since I already made that all the code involving adding new characters, assists and trophies be loaded from a file, instead of inside the actual game.
My idea is to make it be kind of a Smash Mugen.
A bigger roster than even Ultimate, impressive

Yangfly Leone

Smash Cadet
Zelda is here, demo will be out when I get the next 5 characters done.(also Ark and Zero Suit Samus have been added since last screenshot)

Yangfly Leone

Smash Cadet
Announcing that the demo is soon going to come out!
Once Shadow, Ganondorf, Cloud and Vaati gets done.
Another thing is that a new coded has joined up the team, Arthur. He'll be responsible for Shadow, since he had interest, I teached him how to make a new character and he's doing his best to create content.
btw here's a video on the most recent character!

Yangfly Leone

Smash Cadet
New version is out.
Go download it here:
https://gamejolt.com/games/arenasmashbros/327907

Lots of new stuff, like characters, items, stages and a lot of changes in the source code.

Attention: Balancers and character coders are needed e.e
In case you're interested I have some videos on my discord server where I explained how to create a new character.

Last edited:

Yangfly Leone

Smash Cadet

I don't update this for quite some time but here's all the current characters, once it reaches 120 I think I'm gonna call it finished.

Isaac's in

Last edited:
Top Bottom