• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Maybe we could have a poll to decide whether to include a videogame character or a fourth party. I see this as only beneficial:
1. The people in this thread who don’t want fourth-parties are strongly against it, so if multiple fourth party characters were included alongside picks like 2B and Ryu Hayabusa, there wouldn’t be much of a chance for them. And the solution for this shouldn’t be limiting it to just Goku, as while I would prefer him that would be lame.
2. Like I allude to above, if fourth parties win the poll then we get to have more than just four characters and overall it’ll be a much more fun and varied submission round.
3. If videogame characters win, the thread continues on as normal.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
In terms of "4th parties", would Homer or Bart Simpson be an elegible pick? Given how popular The Simpsons Arcade, Hit & Run, and even to an extent Tapped Out are. Then again, The Simpsons' non-popularity in Japan has a bit of a legendary status so I'd understand if not.
Simpsons would not be eligible. I’m sorry.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Extremely disappointed that 4th parties being allowed would even be considered and it lowers the quality of the project as a whole in my mind. Sakurai explicitly stated that it would never happen and it's kind of the one guideline the vast majority of the community agrees on. I mean, during Ultimate's speculation, the Smashboards staff didn't even allow any 4th party support threads because of the controversy. Do we not already have a boatload of 4th party Smashboards Creation threads for literally every medium out there?

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I added a poll where we will decide on wether to focus on one or the other; gaming or 4th party characters. The results will be taken into account when deciding which pathway to go with.

Here's how it can break down:

4th Party: Adds a huge hyper factor; depending on who is chosen. We would need to keep submissions restricted and limited as 4th party characters who are heavily involved in the gaming industry. This would lead to far fewer submissions by people. Crossovers with games like Multiverse and NASABR would also not be allowed. Meme picks like Shrek would not be allowed.

Gaming Characnxters: Obvious rules as above is applied.

This is based on what Janx_uwu Janx_uwu mentioned earlier and one reason why I wanted to open discussions to get ideas from our community. Votes can not benchanged but results can be viewed. I did this so we can better strategize.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom I have two more possible submissions for fourth parties, being Scrooge McDuck and Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker. Scrooge McDuck is often mentioned as a potential fourth party for the DuckTales NES game and as for Vader, Revan was shot down but Star Wars is still pretty huge and Star Wars has presence in games. Considering you said we should ping you for this, here you go.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom I have two more possible submissions for fourth parties, being Scrooge McDuck and Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker. Scrooge McDuck is often mentioned as a potential fourth party for the DuckTales NES game and as for Vader, Revan was shot down but Star Wars is still pretty huge and Star Wars has presence in games. Considering you said we should ping you for this, here you go.
Rehab was never shot down. Just a consideration. I’m deciding on that. And not to offend but Scrooge McDuck would be a horrible choice. A choice that’s only relevant to an NES game and more familiar to western players. Plus, if we did have a Disney rep, it would be Mickey Mouse if anything.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Personally if we got our first non-video game character in Infinite, it would be a generic Space Marine from Warhammer.
It Mii costumes can be from Sega's non-video game franchises or some who had licensed games with them like the Sega Hard Girls or Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal suit.

Last edited:

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
So have mentioned this in the Discord but we do have a Definitive Edition planned which has at least 3 characters to include. Some thought that added the 4th party character into this to be a more advisable idea. Thoughts?
Oh **** there's a discord? Anyways sounds good but I'm kind of exceptical abt the 4th party character, I like it but, im not 100% convinced

So have mentioned this in the Discord but we do have a Definitive Edition planned which has at least 3 characters to include. Some thought that added the 4th party character into this to be a more advisable idea. Thoughts?
I would probably live with that idea, since the normal game would end with VG character and the 4th party character would appear in definitive edition.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'd rather not have a 4th Party character in any edition of Smash Infinite. Smash Bros is a celebration of video games. Adding a 4th Party character would destroy the soul of the project for me (and I'd imagine others as well). If I wanted to design content for 4th Party characters, I'd join any number of the numerous Smashboards Creates threads we have for 4th Party franchises. I go on this thread to design content for video game characters. And considering there are still plenty of great gaming characters we have for options in the definitive edition, I'd like it to stay that way.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
The can of worms would be difficult to contain.

Besides that point, if we were to add a 4th party, it could be a character originating from a 4th party franchise, but said character must debut in a video game first.

While I do think Godzilla would be fun, I think Bagan would make some sense since he debuting in the game Super Godzilla. Balkzardan, Obsidius and Krystalak are honourable mentions.

But Instead I’m saying new Pokémon rep or bust.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
While he's a choice I personally wouldn't want (and in fact would be actively against given it's kinda forced for the game connection alone compared to someone like Goku or Micheal Rat who have other merits), I just want to bring up Wreck-It Ralph as a potential option.

Speaking of powerful rats, Chuck E. Cheese is itself an arcade and has connections to Atari... hmm? (Not a good finale though, would probably work better as a "borderline-allowed" character randomly placed in the DLC)

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
For the love of god, can we stick to at least one ****ing actual Smash rule for this please? Adding in a Playstation character and a ****ing Twitter stage (hoo boy, that has aged like milk) was bad enough, now we want to break the one ****ing rule that's actually been stated to be a rule for Smash? Seriously?

Last edited:

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
For the love of god, can we stick to at least one ****ing actual Smash rule for this please? Adding in a Playstation character and a ****ing Twitter stage (hoo boy, that has aged like milk) was bad enough, now we want to break the one ****ing rule that's actually been stated to be a rule for Smash? Seriously?
IIRC the 4th party content isn't even 100% going to be in

D

Deleted member

Going by the poll above, it's pretty safe to say the last character won't be fourth party. The definitive edition is something we'll have to cross when we get there.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
IIRC the 4th party content isn't even 100% going to be in
Frankly it shouldn't even be allowed, especially considering the limitations set up here

Like, I love anime. I love comics, I love nerd culture as an entirety, but Smash is a celebration of video games, not pop culture. There are plenty of other games for those characters to shine, but this isn't one of them.

D

Deleted member

If we do a forth party (I'd rather we didn't but eh) I'd prefer goku or Spider-Man/Batman over like a technical case like one of the game exclusive star wars characters(thiugh vader would be fine) or a nes ducktales based scrooge. Gotta just commit to it. Geralt is fine though

Last edited by a moderator:

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Geralt is probably the best 4th party, I like Goku and James Bond for example but I don't know, something about a 4th party suddenly being in seems fun but very weird at the same time, time will tell if we end up getting ****ing E.T or something

Justoneguyhere1999

Smash Journeyman
I think the fouth-party rep should be stated as the only 4th party character ever that would deserve a spot on the roster that won't open up a can of worms for any other non-gaming characters and nothing else. Make it a very special exception for this project alone. Also has huge ties to gaming as a whole. I'm somewhat more open-minded to the idea as the years go by.

Goku and Mickey Mouse are the only two I see fitting for that spot imo

Last edited:

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry if I bring him up a lot but Geralt is the character that won't open any can of worms and it's heavily gaming related.

Also thought of Sam & Max for a 4th party.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I want to remind the thread of a few things:

• Earlier in 2021, we voted YES to eventually include 4th Party Characters
  • I reaffirmed this later in 2021 but including 4th Party Content in the game which most people were still on board
  • I then allowed discussion about 4th Party Content for our final Last DLC Character
  • Finally, I added a poll which allowed us to determine which one we will submit for.

I feel I gave enough chances for us to form an opinion on 4th Party.

While he's a choice I personally wouldn't want (and in fact would be actively against given it's kinda forced for the game connection alone compared to someone like Goku or Micheal Rat who have other merits), I just want to bring up Wreck-It Ralph as a potential option.

Speaking of powerful rats, Chuck E. Cheese is itself an arcade and has connections to Atari... hmm? (Not a good finale though, would probably work better as a "borderline-allowed" character randomly placed in the DLC)
Nope on Ralph and Chuck.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So, I took a gander at our results and with 17 people having voted and only 4 votes for 4th Party Only and Only Gaming Characters Only getting 13, I can safely say that we will be going with Gaming Only Characters

We are still in discussion mode for the next 2 hours.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I genuinely don't ever remember a vote on that, but I guess there's no way to archive thread polls. Regardless, I'm pretty sure the community was drastically different then, as most people there were there before aren't even participating now, and vice versa (a lot of people here now weren't there back then).

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I will be closing the poll so posting the results here for transparency

SHould we go with:Edit
  • Only 4th party characters
    Votes: 423.5%
  • Only gaming characters
    Votes: 1376.5%
  • Total voters 17
  • This poll will close: Tomorrow at 1:26 PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom