• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
My three picks will probably be Willy (wealth of great content, true UK rep, miner archetype), Monika (glitch-y and psycho-horror archetype would both be cool to see at play, plus would be good for the competitive scene for the PM dev to get his own creation in Smash) and Penguin (what can I say? I love me some wacky movesets and it would sell like hotcakes, plus I have lots of emotional attachment to them).

I understand the others but why not Willy? I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, I just really liked the writeup despite saying at first "who?" so I wanna know your perspective on him.
Willy because I have no idea what this game is or who the character is. I don't go in for retro games and have zero interest in them. I played them as a kid but largely forgot a lot about them. I know there's a lot of appeal. I read the proposal but I am still on the fence. I would far prefer someone fans know across the board that would bring in excitement. I also worry about including additional content since, as we saw with some series, not everyone is knowledgeable on a given franchise. I want to avoid the situation where just one person submits content. That's a pattern i heavily dislike seeing.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
People said characters like Terry wouldn't be able to get into smash because he's too obscure but look what happened.
I don't find Terry obscure, maybe because I'm from latin america but if a least 2 continents (in this case Asia and Latin America) knows very well a character then isn't obscure at all. If one day they add Hanzo from World Heroes or Kazuya (no Mishima) from Kaiser Knuckle then I would accept that its true.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Willy because I have no idea what this game is or who the character is. I don't go in for retro games and have zero interest in them. I played them as a kid but largely forgot a lot about them. I know there's a lot of appeal. I have been around gaming boards and communities for a looooong time but this was the first time I ever heard of this series and character.
Aight, thanks for elaborating. I know not a whole lot of people know Willy here but the same thing happened with Llyod even though he's very popular in Smash discussion. Going for more well known characters isn't going to remedy that, at least in my opinion. Going for characters and series that are fun and interesting to research would, and I'm already intrigued by the writeup. But, again, I fully understand how you feel because I have zero attachment to 90% of the games on Infinite's newcomer roster.
I don't find Terry obscure, maybe because I'm from latin america but if a least 2 continents (in this case Asia and Latin America) knows very well a character then isn't obscure at all.
literally what kind of reasoning is this. Is there some kind of unknown "2 continents" rule I'm unfamiliar with?

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
literally what kind of reasoning is this. Is there some kind of unknown "2 continents" rule I'm unfamiliar with?
Maybe I didn't expressed well, isn't a rule, i'm against them, is just that how you can say a character is obscure where nearly one third of the planet knows very well where he come?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
how you can say a character is obscure where nearly one third of the planet knows very well where he come?
That’s the point I was trying to make. People in north america often called Terry obscure and said SNK had no chance of getting in but he wasn’t really because he was very well known in other places. Same goes for Miner Willy and the C64.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
That’s the point I was trying to make. People in north america often called Terry obscure and said SNK had no chance of getting in but he wasn’t really because he was very well known in other places. Same goes for Miner Willy and the C64.
Sure I wil not say that nobody knows him. My comment wasn't for say that he can't be included (even if I aren't interesed) but just for say that I always piss myself when I hear that people think that Terry is obscure sigh, I think the best option would be just don't say anything.
Sorry if the comment sounds weird, I didn't checked in the translator if this sounds natural

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Honestly, as long as the winner isn't a gun-user then I'll probably do everything I can to contribute content. Lara I would be fine with though, dual pistols are awesome.

Like I said in my admittedly short write up I don't think the guns would even play a huge role in her lot beyond like neutral special because I envision her actually using the artifacts she steals in combat. Just because the picture has her with guns doesn't mean it's a primary feature.

Idk the **** a Miner Willy is so I'm blatantly against it, and if we're dead set on an edutainment rep, which I also think is a mistake, it should absolutely be Carmen Sandiego and not a fish who literally doesn't have limbs and thus cannot move outside of water.

I still think you can't rep GTA authentically stage wise without all the NSFW material, so I'm against CJ's inclusion on that merit, not to mention the fact he just is a normal dude with guns.

Penguin is... whatever. I think if an MMORPG character is really a necessity a WoW character should be it instead, and it just screams "2000s kids" more than Minecraft. Better than a stupid animatronic tho... But that's an era of history I'd rather we not touch. Poptropica was also better don't @ me

There are way more deserving indie reps than Monika and sad boy, and if Shantae and Shovel Knight weren't allowed I'm certainly not voting for these bottom of the barrel characters.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I wouldn't exactly call Doki Doki Literature Club "bottom of the barrel" after it won several awards such as "Best PC Game", "Best Adventure Game" and "Most Innovative" among others. That game made an entire legacy because of its story and mechanics, was explosively popular on release and it's still going strong to this day.

Not to mention, the creator was responsible for Project M, a mod so popular it was used in actual tournaments for a time, and Monika's capabilities of manipulating game code can arguably be extremely unique in the context of other characters on the roster. I'd argue that out of all the indie game characters we have in the context of this job's limitations, Monika's a heavier hitter than one would give credit for.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A GTA stage would be farily easy. Just do a city full of GTA elements like cop chases. Hell, CJ's Street could be a fun pick.

Not to mention, the creator was responsible for Project M, a mod so popular it was used in actual tournaments for a time, and Monika's capabilities of manipulating game code can arguably be extremely unique in the context of other characters on the roster.
WHAT?

You learn something new every day

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Is this job still open? If so, alright then...

New Western-Originated Fighter - Guybrush Threepwood

Guybrush Threepwood is the main protagonist of the point-and-click graphic adventure video game series Monkey Island, created by Ron Gilbert and published by Lucasfilm Games, first debuting in the computer game released in 1990, The Secret of Monkey Island, in which he started as a young naive man who dreams of becoming a self-proclaimed swashbuckling Mighty Pirate after washing ashore to Melee IslandTM, exploring a few islands while solving various puzzles to succeed in the three trials given to him by pirate leaders and trying to stop the evil undead captain LeChuck from abducting Méléé IslandTM's governor and his future love interest (& wife as of Curse), Elaine Marley.

The series is critically-acclaimed, with the original game itself being still declared one of the greatest adventure games of all time thanks to it's witty comedic humor (especially quotes), memorable characters/puzzles (like insult swordfighting) and a fantastic soundtrack, which all entirely defined the genre itself and left such a lasting impact that it's influence has spread throughout the industry, even having been exhibited in the Smithsonian American Art Museum (alongside Pac-Man and Super Mario Bros.). It was referenced in multiple games such as Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (a Jedi mind trick), Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, The Witcher 3 and Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, even getting a easter egg in Sea of Thieves (complete with a iconic theme song) through the Pirates of the Caribbean expansion, which speaking of, a cancelled movie adaptation's script was apparently re-used for it's first film, The Curse of the Black Pearl.

The first game has achieved a few sequels over the years like Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (1991), The Curse of Monkey Island (1997), Escape from Monkey Island (2000) and Tales of Monkey Island (2009; by Telltale Games which was founded by former LucasArts employees), with a recently-announced, latest installment alongside the original development crew joining in, Return to Monkey Island, releasing this year (which is a big deal). Remakes of the first two games (titled "Special Editions") with updated hand-drawn visuals and voice acting were also released on PlayStation 3 (currently backwards compatible via PlayStation Now), Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows and iPhone in 2009 & 2010 respectively.

For his moveset possibilities, besides being a pure, more traditional pirate rep compared to King K. Rool, Guybrush may seem like a swordfighter, but he would actually work without being entirely/mainly like that except for a few attacks, able to use:
  • Random everyday items that Guybrush gathered for his inventory throughout the series like a rubber chicken, red herrings, wet towels, a banjo while performing the rockstar slide, the Idol of Many Hands, anchors, bottles, a extendable banana picker (as a long-range/tether grab), a paralyzed Jojo the Monkey, etc.
  • Some slapstick added in like tripping over while running.
  • A unique grab in which Guybrush picks up the opponent and puts them into his coat/pocket (depending on a costume) with a cheeky expression, before flinging them out in a chosen direction to reference how he picks up items in the games. Works like a combination of Donkey Kong's cargo forward throw and Villager's pocket special in one, unlike Kirby's Inhale.
  • Martial arts moves, taken from a Monkey Kombat mini-game in Escape from Monkey Island.
  • A roller-coaster cart from The Curse of Monkey Island's climax, working similarly to Steve's minecart special.
  • The Flying Brothers' cannon from Secret of Monkey Island, that allows Guybrush to launch himself into the air in an angled direction with a pot on his head.
  • Spitting up globs by drinking from a liquid hidden in his coat to spit a stronger, faster and further-reaching projectile when holding the button, referencing the spitting contest from LeChuck's Revenge.
  • A counter in which Guybrush utilizes his wit by insulting an attacking opponent in a comeback sword strike that leaves them open for an attack by either paralyzing, tripping or turning them around as if they're fleeing. References the iconic insult swordfighting puzzle.
    • Full versions of classic insults themselves are used in one of the taunts, with an another involving a point-and-click cursor appearing over the opponent with the words "Look at (fighter)" in the classic LucasArts font and Guybrush making a short, funny comment about them, regardless of the stage.
  • For his Final Smash, Guybrush will use root beer to spray out an opponent in-front of him. A cinematic starts in Big Whoop's basement, where he pulls out a identical-looking voodoo doll to make them float helplessly, and then stab it with a syringe to cause damage, before slamming and then launching them away. Both items were originally used to kill LeChuck himself in the first two games.
As said above, while Guybrush wears his outfit from LeChuck's Revenge and Tales of Monkey Island in default, he also has other outfits from fellow installments such as Secret, Curse and Escape (despite retaining a ponytail and beard), alongside palettes to reference characters like LeChuck, Elaine Marley, Voodoo Lady, Herman Toothrot and few others. Maybe even include unusual costumes like being covered in feathers (Curse) and a pink dress (LeChuck's Revenge)?

On additional content, I'm just quoting this straight from my original suggestion:

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Frisk Breaks The Barrier

undertale-frisk-900x506.jpg

Okay so I kind of just wanted to submit Frisk from Undertale, the player character. UNDERTALE is a popular western IP that is incredibly popular for an indie title, it needs no introduction. Frisk fits a lot of the criteria being easily recognizable, on Nintendo and the Sans costume even being added into SSBU. As far as I'm aware, they have no canon gender and Frisk is supposed to be whoever you see them (me personally, I use he/him) so if that's a unique thing going for Frisk, there you go.

What is interesting about Frisk is that in the Pacifist route, probably the most popular interpretation of the character, Frisk doesn't like to hurt a single soul. That said, Frisk is also capable of violence from as far as self defense to a genocidal psychopath. A lot of Frisk fan movesets have incorporated Mercy and Kill options into the moveset. I think this would be an interesting mechanic to make work and in the end, Smash isn't about seriously killing anyone. Even Sephiroth doesn't lethally hurt anyone in battle... I hope...

Undertale also has no shortage of good music to choose from as well as from its spiritual successor/sequel/something of the sorts, Deltarune. So pls vote Frisk 🥺

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Frisk Breaks The Barrier

View attachment 352942

Okay so I kind of just wanted to submit Frisk from Undertale, the player character. UNDERTALE is a popular western IP that is incredibly popular for an indie title, it needs no introduction. Frisk fits a lot of the criteria being easily recognizable, on Nintendo and the Sans costume even being added into SSBU. As far as I'm aware, they have no canon gender and Frisk is supposed to be whoever you see them (me personally, I use he/him) so if that's a unique thing going for Frisk, there you go.

What is interesting about Frisk is that in the Pacifist route, probably the most popular interpretation of the character, Frisk doesn't like to hurt a single soul. That said, Frisk is also capable of violence from as far as self defense to a genocidal psychopath. A lot of Frisk fan movesets have incorporated Mercy and Kill options into the moveset. I think this would be an interesting mechanic to make work and in the end, Smash isn't about seriously killing anyone. Even Sephiroth doesn't lethally hurt anyone in battle... I hope...

Undertale also has no shortage of good music to choose from as well as from its spiritual successor/sequel/something of the sorts, Deltarune. So pls vote Frisk 🥺
I'm shocked it took til like the 15th submission for someone to do Undertale ngl

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Alright, here ae our submissions for a Western rep! We had a lot of varied submissions with some that ranged from very popular and iconic characters as well as a few surprise entries and even a few obscure picks.

When voting, please keep in mind a few things:

1) This character will be joining Ratchet and Clank, Sol Badguy, Lloyd Irving, and one more character in this season
2) This character will be bringing in a host of content with them
3) As a coveted western pick, this slot would be highly contested due to solely being a western character,
4) Please keep moveset potential and gameplay dynamics. We already have two swordies and one character who uses scifi weapony.
5) Please vote who you think would best fit this season DLC.

Here are our submissions...

View attachment 352906
Spyro

Obviously, if we are getting an Activision Rep we should definitely include Spyro. Since Crash got in as a base character, I can imagine that in-universe people would say that it's weird that Spyro isn't included as well. While that would be a good reason to include him as well, Spyro also has many other reasons for inclusion:

1. Spyro has many different incarnations. This gives him many different possibilities for movesets. While he may use his reignited design Legend's Dark Spyro and Skylanders' Legendary Spyro would obviously be an alternate color for him.

2. One of the series he was a major part of, the Skylanders series, has close ties to Nintendo. Not only were Bowser and DK Skylanders in the Wii U version of Superchargers, but the Wii U is the only console where you can play every single Skylanders game.

3. It would give us a more traditional fighter while still being distinct. He could focus on elemental breath attacks with different effects as well as flight. This would make him like Banjo, lacking a gimmick but still distinct.

4. Spyro like Crash and Sonic, was console exclusive, but later they had exclusive games on Nintendo consoles.

5. Spyro is just iconic and has lots of stage and spirit potential.
Monika is a central character in the indie visual novel video game, Doki Doki Literature Club. President of the titular Literature Club, Monika's duty is to guide the player and teach them the basics of the game, giving advice when it comes to courting one of the three girls: the childhood friend Sayori, the bratty half-pint Natsuki and the shy and mature Yuri. Now you may be hard-pressed to think Doki Doki Literature Club is anything other than a typical romance simulator taking place in a Japanese high school, but many fans of the game know that that couldn't be further from the truth. In reality, Doki Doki Literature Club is a psychological horror game with disturbing themes and extremely dark twists in the story. Monika herself? As it turns out, she's the main villain of the game, directly manipulating the game itself to her whims just so she could romance the player. Doki Doki Literature Club Plus would also reveal that "Monika" is also an experimental A.I. made by Metaverse Enterprise Solutions.

Now, why should Monika be in Smash Infinite? Well, Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!, an expanded port of the original DDLC on consoles, is on the Switch, obviously, but a bigger reason is its background: Dan Salvato, the developer of Doki Doki Literature Club, has a bit of a history with Smash, having a hand in one of the most popular mods in the history of the franchise: Project M, which was a powerhouse in the competitive scene despite not actually being made by Nintendo. Furthermore, Monika represents not one, but two genres not represented in Smash: visual novel and psychological horror.

But how would Monika fight? Well, she's well-known for her ability to directly tamper with the game's code, which we could represent without a gimmick just as easily as with, perhaps distorting the stage to summon the glitched limbs of other fighters, arm herself with elements from other stages, and perhaps even weaponizing the Pause menu for a grab, for example. But we can't turn a blind eye to the pure, skin-deep innocence of the first few minutes of the game, can we? We can have Monika write poems, using certain words to bolster her attacks, and perhaps use Sayori, Natsuki, and Yuri in some moves in a way that doesn't delve into the more adult facets, such as having Natsuki throw cupcakes at Monika to heal her like with Isabelle's Assist Trophy in Smash 4, or Yuri serving as a wall where she can drop books on top of foes.

So to recap:

• Monika appears on the Switch
  • DDLC was made by the mind behind the most popular mod in Smash
  • She hits two birds with one stone in terms of genres (VN, Psycho-horror)
  • Monika's powers would be unique in the context of Smash, being abilities that directly tamper with the game's code.
Miner Willy

Miner Willy is the protagonist of the Manic Miner series of games. While perhaps not known to our mostly American userbase here, it is a hugely influential series here in the UK, and the second instalment in particular, Jet Set Willy, is an example of an early Metroidvania.

View attachment 352907View attachment 352908

Willy's moveset would be focused on mining, of course, and possibly incorporate the life of riches he achieved in Jet Set Willy and/or sprites from the original games (there are some crazy enemies in these games) - I had made a Willy moveset on the Another Universe thread with a bit of a trapper/zoner style, which I'd recommend checking out.

The 80s microcomputer scene is an extremely significant and interesting, but also extremely overlooked, era in gaming history that is slowly succumbing to obscurity as gaming culture becomes more of a shared experience and the American gaming crash becomes seen as more of a universal history. An upside to this is that a lot of the major IPs of this era would likely be cheap to license out, allowing us to use music and Spirits from series that didn't necessarily have ties to Miner Willy; Matthew Smith; or Bug-Byte, but are part of the small little gaming subculture that Willy thrived in. Of note would the similarly alliterative miner-themed series, Monty Mole, which houses one of the most well known songs in retro gaming.

Manic Miner recieved an official port to the Game Boy Advance in 2002.
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

View attachment 352909

By far the most iconic video game character not in Smash yet, and one of the most recognizable video game characters of all time, no longer owned by Square Enix but rather by Embracer Group. Her series has been a mainstay in the gaming consciousness for over 20 years, and on top of that her moveset potential is near limitless, between being able to dual wield guns (while running and jumping no less), using a machete and grappling hook, but most importantly, for being able to use the artifacts from the tombs she raids with all their magical power, such as the mighty sword Excalibur, Thor's Gauntlets, and Amulet of Horus, just to name a few.
Busy ATM, but going to quote my previous Ahri post so I can finish packing.
Alright, the time has come and so have I impressive isn't a Devil May Cry submission

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN THE FIRST AGE, IN THE FIRST BATTLE, WHEN THE SHADOWS FIRST LENGTHENED, ONE STOOD....
BURNED BY THE EMBERS OF ARMAGEDDON, HIS SOUL BLISTED BY THE FIRES OF HELL AND TAINTED BEYOND ASCENSION, HE CLOSE THE PATH OF PERPETUAL TORNMENT.
IN HIS RAVENOUS HATRED HE FOUND NO PEACE, AND WITH BOILING BLOOD HE SCOURED THE UMBRAL PAINS SEEKING VENGEANCE AGAINST THE DARK LORDS WHO HAD WRONG HIM.
HE WORE THE CROWN OF THE NIGHT SENTINELS AND THOSE THAT TASTED THE BITE OF HIS SWORD NAMED HIM....

THE DOOM SLAYER

WHAT IS DOOM?
First released in 1993 on the MS-DOS, DOOM quickly became a landmark title and helped pioneer the FPS genre. With its direct sequel the following year, DOOM II: Hell on Earth, building upon the original, the former Nintendo 64 exclusive DOOM 64 in 1997, the alternative take on the franchise in 2004, DOOM 3, and the recent reboots of DOOM in 2016 and DOOM Eternal in 2020, the series has been far from lacking.

DOOM history with Nintendo isn't lacking either, the first two games have ports for Super Nintendo, Game Boy Advance (both of these with censorship tho) and more recently Nintendo Switch alongside all the other games of the series. The franchise even had his own exclusive game for the Nintendo 64 with DOOM 64 that it wasn't until a few years ago that appeared in another console that doesn't belong to Nintendo. The ports of DOOM 2016 and Eternal are also well knowed for how well they run for be in an "inferior" device in comparison to Playstation, Xbox or PC.
WHY THE DOOM SLAYER?
WHY NOT?, seriously, the father of what we known has the modern FPS's, the genre doesn't have a proper representation in the game and it's the most likely option of all the posibilites (maybe just tying with the Master Chief and Gordon Freeman). The Doom Slayer was one of the most popular choices for newcomers from the West, and it's a very recognizable character not just in the Nintendo fanbase but in the videogame community in general. He would also bring an interesing playstyle being sort of a heavy all-rounder character with strengths in far and close distance apart of a breath of fresh air in terms of visuals changing from the cartoonish Ratche & Clank and the anime-esque Lloyd and Sol.

Also come on, this character like Sol is one of those that a lot of people just want it for the bangers he could bring to the game both from the classic and modern games. Here are some of my favorites has examples:
Heck, if we allow the shared universe with Wolfenstein apart of the obvious Blazkowicz Mii Costume we can have the perfect music to kick Nazi's Asses! I would love to have songs like House of the Rising Sun, Terror Billy and Right Trigger Warning here too!

HOW WOULD THE DOOM SLAYER BE?
Has I said before, the Doom Slayer would be considered a character that excels in both far and close combat having various projectiles and huge strenght in terms of normals. Has drawbacks he is heavy, something that it's good for tank damage but it also leaves him pretty susceptible to combos. He will also have the same problem of Kazuya with his very low jumps, requiring him to use his second jump to reach the Battlefield platform.

In terms of special moves one of the most used mechanics when someone tries to make a moveset for the Slayer is the Weapon Whee-

BUT THE WEAPON WHEEL MECHANIC ISN'T ALLOWED!
And you are right!, but, why he should need it?, I mean, I would like to have the mechanic but isn't like if he can't work with that. You can assign some normal/aerial/smash moves to some of his weapons and use the main ones for special moves. In fact, he can just don't have any special gimmick, if he needs to have one, maybe he could have access to stronger weapons via ammo that can be obtained attacking, but that would be too forced so I think having the Slayer gimmick-less is fine.

Just for bring examples, have the Crucible, the Chainsaw and the Super Shotgun has Smash Attacks, the Plasma Rifle, the Equipment Launcher, the Rocket Launcher and the Meathook has specials. And of course, the BFG-9000 has a Final Smash, or heck, BE MORE CRAZY, USE THE BFG-10000 AND SHOOT A HOLE IN THE SURFACE OF MARS!

BUT DOOM IS SO GOREY AND IS THE ESSENCE OF THE GAME!
Maybe it's true that the DOOM series is violent, but that doesn't mean that the essence of the game. Has someone who plays DOOM and talked with other people who play DOOM most of them and I agree that the most important thing in DOOM is the action (not necessary blood and gore). Even if we talk about guns, his weapons in modern games have a more sci-fi aesthetic with more or less the exception of the Super Shotgun (that even then, I don't think a shotgun with a grappling hook it's too realistic).

In short...
  • The Doom Slayer is an icon of the FPS and of the gaming industry in general.
  • He could bring a fun playstyle with the use of his variety of weapons and close combat attacks.
  • He doesn't need the Weapon Wheel mechanic to work.
  • We will have one of the best OST's in all gaming history (imo).
  • DOOM has a long history and relationship with Nintendo (and so Microsoft too).
  • The Slayer would be identified by a dark green color, so there is no problems with the rest of color palettes.
  • The gore isn't a problem since the Slayer doesn't need to have blood to be well represented.
RIP AND TEAR UNTIL IT'S DONE
ah... screw it I'm gonna go with my first idea

The so-called "recruits" are the general name for the default skins that players can put on their character in world-conquering, genre-defining, meme-generating smash hit Fortnite: Battle Royale. Fortnite is obviously a global sensation, you and I both know it, and despite its reputation of having a fanbase of seven-year-olds, it's still got a hugely successful online presence with people of all ages due to its easy-to-pick-up gameplay style and quick gameplay loop. The Recruit fighter here would be represented by the eight default skins, four male and four female. Steve proved that building could work in a Smash setting if it's balanced properly, and that's Fortnite's entire signature ignore the fact that it was removed recently. The game has been on Switch for years now, and the bright, popping colors that separate it from its contemporaries in the shooter and battle royale genres slot nicely into the rest of the Nintendo characters in the game. Notably, Fortnite isn't just about the guns! As mentioned before, the Recruit could have building mechanics, but they could also lay down traps, use explosive projectiles, inflict status effects, and even whack opposing fighters with their starting pickaxe as a melee weapon. Lots of potential here for a game that once caused Amogus-level brainrot in all of us. Don't even get me started on how cool the stage could be.
Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard is the main character of the Mass Effect franchise. Mass Effect and Bioware's games in general are some of the most influential Western RPGs helping define the genre.

Now you may be saying "Commander Shepard is a western gun wielder" and while they would use guns they also have a wide variety of Biotic and Tech abilities in addition to their weaponry. They can even get up close and personal with their Omni-blade. Who knows maybe the Normandy's crew could even show up. as Mass Effect has a large focus on squad tactics. There is also the morality system

In terms of Nintendo

Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)

View attachment 352911
Joanna Dark is the main character of the Perfect Dark series, a classic N64 Rare series. The game received critical acclaim for its gameplay and has been well beloved by many gamers as a spiritual successor to Goldeneye 007. Joanna would be a great pick for Infinite as another Rare classic rep alongside Banjo and Kazooie, albeit from a completely different genre.
Alright, my pick is a little bit out-of-left-field like my last submission. I was going to resubmit Octane but I wanted to do something new, time to make a splash. (literally)...

Freddi Fish Solves the Mystery!

View attachment 352917

Ok...I know what you are thinking but hear me out. We do not have any representation for the genres of edutainment and point-and-click video games that much in Infinite. Why not have both genres covered by Freddi Fish? Here is a list of why I feel Freddi Fish is a good candidate for DLC and for another Western rep.

• Freddi Fish is a female and we do not have any female characters yet in the second Smash season yet.
  • She is a fish and we do not have many aquatic based or even fish fighters on the roster. Plus, we would complete the house pet trio if Freddi joins. We have dogs, a cat and if Freddi joins, we get a fish.
  • She will be identified with the color yellow or gold given she is a goldfish. Neither of those colors are identified yet in the season.
  • She could have a fun moveset with a point-and-click gimmick and even include Luther in some attacks based on the Humongous Entertainment games.
  • The Humongous Entertainment games have recently came on the Switch so Freddi Fish has a more recent relationship with Nintendo. Therefore, this would be an excellent promotional pick to promote the Humongous Entertainment catalog in the eShop.
  • The DLC pack itself would be a perfect opportunity to pull another SNK and allow for content from other Humongous Entertainment games in Freddi's pack such as from Putt Putt, Pyjama Sam, Spyfox, etc.
  • This would be a super out-of-left-field pick which will add to the surprise as well as nostalgia of the older gamers. Imagine Hungrybox or Maxmillian Dood watching the live reveal of Freddi Fish just to be shocked...
Overall, I know my pick is not going to be the top choice but definitely one to consider given the recent addition of Humongous Entertainment's games on the Switch, the lack of an edutainment/point-and-click game rep and a fighter with unique moveset potential. Freddi Fish is a good catch (no fishing pun intended).
After asking to some friends they all agree that Omori is a western game, so I will submit SUNNY!
Sunny is the protagonist of Omori, an indie RPG that everyone should play! (unless you can't take some particular things like suicide or depression tho....).

Why adding him?, Because I like it, that's all you need to known./s

Omori is one of the most recent popular indie games, it would be released soon in Switch so it would be cool to have him has a way to promote the game!

Also the music is godlike.

And he will represent by white so, there are no problems with the rest of colors!

Maybe the only thing I worry about this is that there is no way you can do a proper pack for Omori without spoilers, I don't known if that would be a problem....
Penguin (Club Penguin)
The Penguin is the player avatar of the 2005 MMORPG that took the world by storm, Club Penguin. Created by New Horizon Games , this online vaudeville show of a videogame allowed users to create and play as a Penguin and venture on an iceberg full of fun activities like playing minigames, going into various shops, socializing with other members, buying and taking care of a pet, venturing on sidequests, and decorating an igloo of your own. It gained 30 million members by 2007, which is likely what led to the game being purchased by Disney. After this purchase, the game boasted 300 MILLION members by 2013, likely thanks to Disney's constant support of the game. From temporary seasonal additions to a ton of really good marketing, the big D pushed this game hard. It even got three Nintendo titles: two DS ones based on the Elite Penguin Force sub-series, and a Wii one being a minigame collection.

TL;DR Club Penguin is a huge game series that Disney bought, has been on Nintendo hardware before.

Years after Disney's shutdown of Club Penguin in 2017 (and it's successor, Club Penguin Island, in 2018), the series recieves barely any acknowledgement from the company who owns it. That's pretty unfortunate, but it did not diminish the love that Club Penguin fans, young and old, had for the game. By 2017, the series had been around long enough to garner some serious nostalgia, leading to the dedicated fan projects you see today. (Of course, not all of those have gone down so well for one reason or another, but that's beside the point. Club Penguin's legacy waddles on.

Not only that, but Penguin would sell. Young adults who grew up with the MMORPG would be dying as the chance to see a favorite childhood game rise from the dead, and the generation before them who were always desperately curious about this mysteroius game of their older peers but never got to experience it could somewhat do so within the realm of Smash. It won't sell consoles like Steve probably did, but the Penguin would definitely boost sales of the game. And this isn't the first time Disney let Nintendo put a character they didn't care about anymore in Smash (:ultsora:), so no need to worry too much about bargaining for the character and all that.

So, I've proven why the Penguin has an argument to be selected for paid Infinite DLC. But how would they hold up as a fighter? Well, there's a lot you could pull from - the character archetype itself, the minigames of Club Penguin, the Elite Penguin Force spinoffs, certain things that are integral to Club Penguin culture like jackhammers and Puffles, all that good stuff.
So uh yeah, not really a whole lot more to say. I know the Penguin will stand out as the black sheep in this crowd but I was honestly kind of hoping for that. This was very fun to write and I hope you consider the Penguin for your vote due to high popularity, high potential of sales, unique moveset potential, and cool factor.
Oh yeah, and to cover the bases of Venus' rules real quick, just in case the Penguin submission is questioned for any of them:

Not PlayStation
Not a swordie or gunnie
Can come in all different colors
Can be female (though I'd prefer if Penguin's gender wasn't explicitly stated rather than having male and female alts)
See above for reasoning
Nintendo console, check, very popular, double check
I too am a bit concerned over some of the submissions but I also understand that shooters are really what western games are known for...which kind of shows the state that our current reality is in.

Anyways, I don't like resubmitting content but...

View attachment 352921

Ezio Auditore de Firenze

While not the original assassin, this could serve as our tie in like the Kazuya over Heihachi or Min-min over Spring Man type thing for Infinite. Ezio hails from Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft and is one of the flagship series of the Assassins Creed games. Not only did this game spawn numerous games but it brought forth comics, books, novels, and even a tv show. It is a huge series to say the least and for a game that strives to include important franchises from across the gaming universe, Assassin's Creed is one of glaring omission. With Altair obviously stuck being a Mii Costume, Ezio is honestly the next best choice best regardless. Ezio remains one of the more popular Assassins within the series and one that everyone sort of looks to for being "the Assassin". Not only that but AC2 and Brotherhood sold very well.

Ezio could have a moveset that incorporates his assassin based moveset with using his twin hidden blades, crossbows, grenades, and melee-oriented attacks with moves that could be a bit of a nod to Snake. Grapple moves that seek to immobilize opponents rather than outright launch them. He could be a glass-cannon character with hard hitting attacks that takes patience and time to set up but the end result is extremely satisfying. Or, make a mistake, and it's lights out for this assassin. Thus its a high-risk-high-reward type playstyle.

In terms of content, the series has a wide range of music to choose from, could lend itself to having a Masterpiece, Master Spirit, or a Smash Dungeon. The stage would be quiet interesting in that it would be based on a real location; something Smash doesn't do very often if not at all. This would obviously be Rome or one of it's locations.

Mii Costumes could also get the Ubisoft treatment with Rabbids returning along with a potential Rayman second costume, Far Cry, Splinter Cell, or even Brawlhalla. Likewise, we could include Mii Costumes that sort of fall within this general category along with Ezio with Mii Costumes composed of Joanna Dark, Dante, Corvo from Dishonored, or more.

I was going to do the Sims and I feel the character would be really fun but they would be super gimmicky. We have three characters who both have various gimmicks and mechanics so I felt that including Ezio would be a nice balance as we could be a bit more simple in terms of his design but also have some fun with creating stealth based moves.
View attachment 352923
CJ
GTA is a huge western series with a massive influence. Yes. Some people may say the violent and sexual content may be a little much, but honestly GTA is no more violent than modern Doom or Mortal Kombat imo, and the later factor doesn't need to referenced at all. You could probably pick any GTA protag, and I would like to see the likes of Claude, Niko and the GTA5 trio as skins, but I felt CJ had a recognizablety to him due to the huge influx of memes from his game, plus his is the one people seem to remember most.

There's actually a lot of moveset potential to a GTA rep. There's a wide amount of vehicles and weapons and the star rating system could be used in some way, causing police to flood the stage.

Music may be an issue if we avoid licensed songs, but there is stuff to work with. I'd like to pull from the whole series for our content.

He could fight with guns, his fists, a baseball bat, drive over you in a car. There's a lot to pull from.

I did consider John Marstern or Arthur Morgan from the Red Dead series. But I felt a GTA rep was both more iconic and more interesting in terms of moveset.

Genre wise I guess he'd be repping the "open world sandbox" genre. I don't think we have a rep for that? Unless you count BOTW.

between Scorpion last round and now this, I have a thing for stirring up controversy, huh?
If Chief is not eligible for the Job, then I submit...
Captain Price (Call of Duty)
I know this pick is kinda off-the-wall and it wouldn't fit for smash, but hear me out.

Who is Captain Price?
Captain John Price
is the main protagonist of Modern Warfare-subseries and one of popular characters from Call of Duty franchise. He is also being one of two characters to be featured in all of the games in the sub-series, the other being Nikolai.
He was first ranked as Lieutenant and later he was served as Sniper under the orders of Captain MacMillian.
Later, he became a captain after experiencing wars in CoD lore.
Captain Price is an icon of CoD games and he may not fit as a fighter, but still he could have moveset potential that could roll on the Battlefield.

How would work in Smash?
I know his games include a lot of guns, but since Snake, Joker and Bayo are here, then we don't need to worry about, because they use guns in Smash. If they can use guns, so does Captain Price.
Captain Price would definitely have also cool moveset potential besides guns like knives (As normal attack) or grenades that explode (As Side B). Also Neutral Special would be rifle that would have aimable reticle (Like in his games) and he could have an Ammo gimmick (It it runs out, he could reload it again) and unique headshot gimmick, where he deals more damage to head hitboxes (Referencing "Headshots" in FPS games) (Actually he could use a lot of guns types in his moveset).
His Final Smash material would be similar to Snake's Brawl Final Smash, where it switches to POV (Like in CoD games) and you shoot at opponents with Sniper rifle while you move the Reticle.
He would be Mid-Heavyweight zoner fighter, who could have double jumps and he could crawl.
Also his alts would reference CoD characters like Ghost, Richtofen or even Frank Woods.

Why Captain Price?
I chose Captain Price, because Call of Duty is very popular franchise and it deserves to be in Smash, since Smash is celebration of Gaming and Call of Duty played huge role in Gaming History because of revolutionizing FPS games that.
Despite Activision is now bad nowadays along with milked Call of Duty, this series need a playable representation of it in Smash!
I forgot that Call of Duty is responsible for modern FPS Multiplayer games, which is also important for gaming history.
And speaking of Nintendo Console, he appeared on Nintendo Wii in CoD Modern Warfare - Reflex Edition. CoD has some games that appear on Nintendo consoles, making his likely for Smash. He would be first Activision character to be DLC Fighter in Smash Infinite.

I know this is also kinda controversial pick, but the inappropriate elements like blood we could tone it down in Smash to make him more kid-friendly.
Is this job still open? If so, alright then...

New Western-Originated Fighter - Guybrush Threepwood

Guybrush Threepwood is the main protagonist of the point-and-click graphic adventure video game series Monkey Island, created by Ron Gilbert and published by Lucasfilm Games, first debuting in the computer game released in 1990, The Secret of Monkey Island, in which he started as a young naive man who dreams of becoming a self-proclaimed swashbuckling Mighty Pirate after washing ashore to Melee IslandTM, exploring a few islands while solving various puzzles to succeed in the three trials given to him by pirate leaders and trying to stop the evil undead captain LeChuck from abducting Méléé IslandTM's governor and his future love interest (& wife as of Curse), Elaine Marley.

The series is critically-acclaimed, with the original game itself being still declared one of the greatest adventure games of all time thanks to it's witty comedic humor (especially quotes), memorable characters/puzzles (like insult swordfighting) and a fantastic soundtrack, which all entirely defined the genre itself and left such a lasting impact that it's influence has spread throughout the industry, even having been exhibited in the Smithsonian American Art Museum (alongside Pac-Man and Super Mario Bros.). It was referenced in multiple games such as Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (a Jedi mind trick), Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, The Witcher 3 and Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, even getting a easter egg in Sea of Thieves (complete with a iconic theme song) through the Pirates of the Caribbean expansion, which speaking of, a cancelled movie adaptation's script was apparently re-used for it's first film, The Curse of the Black Pearl.

The first game has achieved a few sequels over the years like Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (1991), The Curse of Monkey Island (1997), Escape from Monkey Island (2000) and Tales of Monkey Island (2009; by Telltale Games which was founded by former LucasArts employees), with a recently-announced, latest installment alongside the original development crew joining in, Return to Monkey Island, releasing this year (which is a big deal). Remakes of the first two games (titled "Special Editions") with updated hand-drawn visuals and voice acting were also released on PlayStation 3 (currently backwards compatible via PlayStation Now), Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows and iPhone in 2009 & 2010 respectively.

For his moveset possibilities, besides being a pure, more traditional pirate rep compared to King K. Rool, Guybrush may seem like a swordfighter, but he would actually work without being entirely/mainly like that except for a few attacks, able to use:
  • Random everyday items that Guybrush gathered for his inventory throughout the series like a rubber chicken, red herrings, wet towels, a banjo while performing the rockstar slide, the Idol of Many Hands, anchors, bottles, a extendable banana picker (as a long-range/tether grab), a paralyzed Jojo the Monkey, etc.
  • Some slapstick added in like tripping over while running.
  • A unique grab in which Guybrush picks up the opponent and puts them into his coat/pocket (depending on a costume) with a cheeky expression, before flinging them out in a chosen direction to reference how he picks up items in the games. Works like a combination of Donkey Kong's cargo forward throw and Villager's pocket special in one, unlike Kirby's Inhale.
  • Martial arts moves, taken from a Monkey Kombat mini-game in Escape from Monkey Island.
  • A roller-coaster cart from The Curse of Monkey Island's climax, working similarly to Steve's minecart special.
  • The Flying Brothers' cannon from Secret of Monkey Island, that allows Guybrush to launch himself into the air in an angled direction with a pot on his head.
  • Spitting up globs by drinking from a liquid hidden in his coat to spit a stronger, faster and further-reaching projectile when holding the button, referencing the spitting contest from LeChuck's Revenge.
  • A counter in which Guybrush utilizes his wit by insulting an attacking opponent in a comeback sword strike that leaves them open for an attack by either paralyzing, tripping or turning them around as if they're fleeing. References the iconic insult swordfighting puzzle.
    • Full versions of classic insults themselves are used in one of the taunts, with an another involving a point-and-click cursor appearing over the opponent with the words "Look at (fighter)" in the classic LucasArts font and Guybrush making a short, funny comment about them, regardless of the stage.
  • For his Final Smash, Guybrush will use root beer to spray out an opponent in-front of him. A cinematic starts in Big Whoop's basement, where he pulls out a identical-looking voodoo doll to make them float helplessly, and then stab it with a syringe to cause damage, before slamming and then launching them away. Both items were originally used to kill LeChuck himself in the first two games.
As said above, while Guybrush wears his outfit from LeChuck's Revenge and Tales of Monkey Island in default, he also has other outfits from fellow installments such as Secret, Curse and Escape (despite retaining a ponytail and beard), alongside palettes to reference characters like LeChuck, Elaine Marley, Voodoo Lady, Herman Toothrot and few others. Maybe even include unusual costumes like being covered in feathers (Curse) and a pink dress (LeChuck's Revenge)?

On additional content, I'm just quoting this straight from my original suggestion:
Frisk Breaks The Barrier

View attachment 352942

Gill Grunt (Skylanders)

mainly because I want more Skylanders Rep in this game because I like that franchise
  • Monika (Doki Doki Literature Club)
  • CJ (Grand Theft Auto)
  • Captain Price (Call of Duty)
  • Recruit (Fortnite)
  • Doom Slayer (Doom)
  • Guybrush Threepwood (Monkey Island)
  • Ahri (League of Legends)
  • Penguin (Club Penguin)
  • Commander Shepard (Mass Effect)
  • Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
  • Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
  • Ezio (Assassin's Creed)
  • Miner Willy (Manic Miner)
  • Spyro (Spyro)
  • Freddi Fish
  • Frisk (UNDERTALE)
  • Sunny (Omori)
  • Gill Grunt (Skylanders)

PLEASE GO HERE TO CAST YOUR VOTE!!!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
We have some good characters, but also a lot of, in my opinion, awful options.

Ezio, Spyro, Lara, Shepard, Ahri, and Doom Slayer are the cream of the crop options we have. Any one of them has potential for a cool moveset, neat gimmicks, or are just that big of a name in gaming.

Frisk is the standout indie here, though I'd argue they should be called "The Human" instead, as that name only is canon to the True Pacifist route; something very difficult to replicate in a uh, fighting game. But definitely the biggest name for indie here. If we must have an indie, this is the one.

Joanna Dark, Penguin, CJ, and the Recruit are fine, I suppose, though I think either their moveset potential is lacking or they lack the star power to sell DLC, which, for the umpteenth time, is what we're trying to do here. CJ also has the potential of needing to misrepresent his franchise as well, seeing as the whole point of GTA is gratuitous, uncensored violence and debauchery.

The Monkey Island guy... well, my only real complaints are the fact that the series is pretty much dead in the water, and the fact that just pronouncing his name makes my mouth hurt. But I'll give him credit where it's due, it's an interesting choice.

Monika... I'm just gonna come out and say it, is too much of a meme character, and by that merit alone I don't like her. Not to mention that despite it being an award-winning game, nothing she can canonically do in-universe of her game can be built on for a moveset, meaning it'd have to be almost entirely made-up.

Miner Willy really is scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's obscure, irrelevant to modern gaming, and comes from a non-existent studio now; in addition to being from a game with basically one move. Pass on this.

Generic Call of Duty man should tell you why we shouldn't touch that one with a ten-foot pole.

Sunny is a gross misinterpretation of the core point of Omori as a game. Throwing him in a platform fighter of any kind feels scummy.

The submitter of Gill Grunt couldn't even be bothered to show a picture, so I don't know why we even allowed him.

Freddi is literally a fish. Fish cannot move on their own outside of water properly. He shouldn't be allowed by that merit. If he was a fishman or merfolk, sure, but he clearly is just a fish.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
It's very obvious that there is one winner for me, but if someone like Ezio, Ahri, Guybrush, CJ, Monika or Sunny wins I wouldn't consider it a bad thing, the rest or are "meh" for my point of view or just characters that doesn't have sense in my head.

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
We have some good characters, but also a lot of, in my opinion, awful options.

Ezio, Spyro, Lara, Shepard, Ahri, and Doom Slayer are the cream of the crop options we have. Any one of them has potential for a cool moveset, neat gimmicks, or are just that big of a name in gaming.

Frisk is the standout indie here, though I'd argue they should be called "The Human" instead, as that name only is canon to the True Pacifist route; something very difficult to replicate in a uh, fighting game. But definitely the biggest name for indie here. If we must have an indie, this is the one.

Joanna Dark, Penguin, CJ, and the Recruit are fine, I suppose, though I think either their moveset potential is lacking or they lack the star power to sell DLC, which, for the umpteenth time, is what we're trying to do here. CJ also has the potential of needing to misrepresent his franchise as well, seeing as the whole point of GTA is gratuitous, uncensored violence and debauchery.

The Monkey Island guy... well, my only real complaints are the fact that the series is pretty much dead in the water, and the fact that just pronouncing his name makes my mouth hurt. But I'll give him credit where it's due, it's an interesting choice.

Monika... I'm just gonna come out and say it, is too much of a meme character, and by that merit alone I don't like her. Not to mention that despite it being an award-winning game, nothing she can canonically do in-universe of her game can be built on for a moveset, meaning it'd have to be almost entirely made-up.

Miner Willy really is scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's obscure, irrelevant to modern gaming, and comes from a non-existent studio now; in addition to being from a game with basically one move. Pass on this.

Generic Call of Duty man should tell you why we shouldn't touch that one with a ten-foot pole.

Sunny is a gross misinterpretation of the core point of Omori as a game. Throwing him in a platform fighter of any kind feels scummy.

The submitter of Gill Grunt couldn't even be bothered to show a picture, so I don't know why we even allowed him.

Freddi is literally a fish. Fish cannot move on their own outside of water properly. He shouldn't be allowed by that merit. If he was a fishman or merfolk, sure, but he clearly is just a fish.
I submitted a picture for Gill Grunt now.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Tbh, not a fan of like a lot of these lol. I don't usually say this because I mean usually we have a majority of good picks, some obvious ones, a few oddballs and then the obligatory W3 pick. Not gonna talk about Frisk since that's up for you to decide but I can't realistically see a lot of these being DLC, letalone something that would even excite audiences in a reveal trailer

Like idk, I feel like we're sort of reaching a limit with general submissions, especially whenever the prompt is western. Like, you know I can see someone going "No way, Ezio!? Holy **** I didn't even expect him!?" but can I see that with Miner Willy? Hahaha...

Also Penguin is in kind of an awkward spot because yeah it's Disney so it already has ties to Smash, Disney has basixally abandoned the IP. They cancelled the original, rebooted it and that flopped badly and now all you have is CP Rewritten which also is getting taken down. I mean I know there are songs from games you can't play anymore like Minecraft Console Minigames and Earth but a whole character, idk.

Monika has easy moveset potential though :)) up b is a glitch teleport, side b is a noose tether, neutral b is a projectile knife and hahaha okay you get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom