• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Of all the submissions thus far, Hayabusa, Phoenix, Travis, and AiAi I feel are the best possible outcomes, though I'm kinda hoping to have our SEGA character be someone else... Hayabusa was the first character I thought of though reading the criteria.

There's also both Professor Layton and Jibanyan from Level-5. Both series to my knowledge are Nintendo exclusives.

Does the character need a STRONG connection to Nintendo or just A connection in general?

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Of all the submissions thus far, Hayabusa, Phoenix, Travis, and AiAi I feel are the best possible outcomes, though I'm kinda hoping to have our SEGA character be someone else... Hayabusa was the first character I thought of though reading the criteria.

There's also both Professor Layton and Jibanyan from Level-5. Both series to my knowledge are Nintendo exclusives.

Does the character need a STRONG connection to Nintendo or just A connection in general?
Preferably strong or strong at some point in time.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
The first Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei game originally released on the MSX back in 1987 but the modern SMT series we know now started on the Super Famicom in 1992 with the original Shin Megami Tensei. Since then, every main SMT game except for SMT NINE (not to be confused with being an actual ninth entry) and SMT III has released on Nintendo, although SMT III: Nocturne would later be released on the Nintendo Switch in 2020.

Many spin-off games have reached the 3DS too such as the Devil Survivor series, the Persona Q series and the port of Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. The ties to Nintendo are strong with this one and after a Western character as the first fighter, it would makes sense to show the Japanese audience a character they may know better.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Submissions are open!!

When submitting, please provide the character and the series that they hail from. In addition, please provide proof that this series has a connection to Nintendo through 1) debuted on a Nintendo system or 2) a series that has a legacy on a Nintendo console. Also, please highlight why this particular franchise deserves to have a represented fighter. Certain franchises that doesn’t have a notable legacy in gaming may be disqualified due to a lack of presence. Previous examples back includes:ulthero::ultsimon::ultbayonetta::ultbanjokazooie::ultsnake:

Characters from franchises already in the game are ineligible.

Character Submission:
Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra) (Konami)

Who are they?

Bill Rizer and Lance Bean are main characters of Contra series and they are commandos, who are killing Extraterrestrial being who come from outer space. Their universe takes place at Far Future (Notably 2633 AD) and Evil Organization called Red Falcon wants to exterminate all Humanity on Galuga Archipelago. Then Earth Marina corps sender Contra units called Bill Rizer and Lance Bean, who are trying to save the world from Evil threats.

About their Legacy on Nintendo systems?
They and Their franchise has strong connection to Nintendo back in 80's and 90's, where the first game (Despite debuted on Arcade) got released on NES in 1987. They ware related to Nintendo until Playstation's debut and they stopped appearing on Nintendo Consoles until they got GBA game, keeping their legacy alive on Nintendo Consoles.

They didn't debuted on Nintendo Consoles, but they debuted on Arcade Machines and they got ported on NES Consoles later in 1980's, meaning that they have Nintendo Legacy from 8's to Today's times.

How they could work in Platform Fighter?
Bill and Lance are no-brainers for Fighting Game, since they could have Moveset Potential like using their guns or having original Moves made. Bill could have a Gimmick about his Ammo like in his games and he could reload it when doing Shield Special.
Their Final Smash could be something taken from Contra games like Futuristic Tank's or something that could make sense.
Bill & Lance could have same treatment as Male and Female Robin, where they appear as Alts.
Bill could have 6 Alts., while Lance could have also 6 Alts.

Why Bill and Lance as Playables?
Bill and Lance deserve to be in Smash, because they could be another Konami reps, but they could be another 3rd Party Retro characters like Simon Belmont. They could also represent Contra series and they are first Run 'N' Gun characters in Smash to be Playable.
Like I said earlier, Bill and Lance have appeared on Nintendo systems many times and they have Nintendo Legacy in their franchise.
Contra is also Iconic VG franchise that could deserve to be in Smash, which is "Nintendo Allstars" and "Celebration of Gaming".
You know, Konami could let them in Game, since some people want him them in Game, but they could join the Roster due to their Popularity back in 80's and 90's.

Last Words:
I just wanted to tell you about Bill and Lance, because they could be another Konami Reps in game and they could be 3rd Party Retro characters like Simon Belmont.
Also, let my dreams come true by adding them in Smash Infinite as DLC Characters.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
The Nahobino

Shin_Megami_Tensei_V_Protagonist_render.png
Nahobino_Form_Render.png

Once again, I'll be submitting this guy. It's perfect timing since I've just finished SMT V and can safely say it's one of my favourite games of all time. Although I must just be clear about this, the character's name is not "Nahobino." It is merely a title granted to them after fusing with the demon Aogami. The Nahobino is the silent protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei V. He was once a normal highschool student that got caught in a bridge collapse incident and was transported into the mystical world of Da'at, an apocalyptic version of Tokyo. It is shortly revealed after you first exit that the world of Da'at is actually the real Tokyo and was destroyed some 18 years ago in a war between God and Lucifer's forces. Lucifer had then slew God in a battle of the ages causing the collapse of the modern world as it was known. As a last effort on his part, God used his power to create the Shekinah Glory, a miracle that would create an illusory Tokyo for the remaining living souls to reside in in ignorant bliss.

The Nahobino would then proceed to go on a life changing journey fighting against demons in the netherworld of Da'at. He wouldn't have survived alone however, he had his friends by his side. No, not his human friends. In the SMT series, players recruit demons to their aid by negotiating with them. And after he collected enough demons, the Nahobino could fuse them to create more powerfuld demons!

History on Nintendo

I'll paste my excerpt from above into this section.

The first Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei game originally released on the MSX back in 1987 but the modern SMT series we know now started on the Super Famicom in 1992 with the original Shin Megami Tensei. Since then, every main SMT game except for SMT NINE (not to be confused with being an actual ninth entry) and SMT III has released on Nintendo, although SMT III: Nocturne would later be released on the Nintendo Switch in 2020.

Many spin-off games have reached the 3DS too such as the Devil Survivor series, the Persona Q series and the port of Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. The ties to Nintendo are strong with this one and after a Western character as the first fighter, it would makes sense to show the Japanese audience a character they may know better.

45437-shin-megami-tensei-snes-front-cover.jpg
Smt_if.jpg
6457727_sd.jpg
SMTStrangeJourneyJPcover.jpg

Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV.jpg
81XM714tLtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
shin-megami-tensei-5-box-image.jpg

What Could They Bring?

The SMT series is known for recruiting and summoning demons, an aspect that could be represented in the Nahobino's moveset. Additionally, the Nahobino has tons of unique skills only they can learn that they could use in their moveset. There is also a mechanic in SMT V known as Magatsuhi skills. They are immensely strong skills that need to be charged by fighting and defending yourself but can turn the tide of a battle without taking up a turn.

Nahobino's Unique Skill Animations

Additionally, there are tons of iconic demons to turn into spirits!

Jack_Frost_SMTV_Art.png
Amanozako.png
Mothmanof.png
Alice-0.png
Decarabia_(SMT_PSX_Art).png

Jack Frost, Amanazako, Mothman, Alice, Decarabia

Some demons may be a tad too inappropriate for Smash so I would not think about adding that green demon riding a chariot. Additionally, some demons reflect satanic imagery which would most definitely not please certain crowds such as Lucifer, Satan and Beelzebub.

Attachments

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Travis Touchdown

Travis Touchdown is the Protagonist of the No More Heroes franchise of games. Travis is your typical Otaku and is a beam katana wielding assassin.

In Terms of Gameplay Travis can use not only Beam Katana skills but also a variety of wrestling moves and other abilities introduced in TSA and NMH3

The No More Heroes franchise was Nintendo exclusive for the longest time up until NMH: Paradise, TSA and the PC Ports and the game was entirely designed around the Wii Remote and Travis' appearance as a Mii Costume already ties him with Smash.

D

Deleted member

I know this is really nitpicky but wouldn’t travis technically not be eligible for this since he violates the rule about dark red color schemes?
Could probably just use the purple jacket. That's the one the mii costume used anyway.

D

Deleted member

Yeah but that doesn’t change the association with the color dark red.

Like, don’t get me wrong, I like no more heroes and want travis to get in smash but I just don’t think he would technically be eligible
Pretty sure Venus has said he's eligible but I could be wrong.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

PhoenixWright.png

Phoenix Wright has been one of the most requested 3rd Parties for Smash even before Ultimate, due to the Ace Attorney series's strong association with Nintendo consoles, with every main game debuting in some form on some Nintendo system. This strong connection has led many Nintendo fans so far as to consider him an honorary Nintendo character alongside Banjo-Kazooie. The character's appearance in MVC3 also displays his ability to show up in a fighting game, with Maya Fey likely assisting his moveset with her abilities as well. With so many Capcom series being represented in Ultimate in one way or another, it's an outright crime that a series with such a strong Nintendo connection is completely absent, so let's "wright" this wrong in Infinite.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
AiAi

From the Super Monkey Ball series, AiAi has been a hot topic lately thanks to a certain YouTuber's trips to Japan and the remake created in return. He loves bananas, has a baby from the future, and likes to roll about in a ball - that's pretty much it.

AiAi would be a rather simple fighter who'd allow us to get a break from gimmicks and summons, using primarily original moves with a few references to the Battle games and stage obstacles.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
ASUKA
1641583884119.png

Who is she?

Asuka is the main protagonist of Senran Kagura (閃乱カグラ, "Flash War Dance"), a hack-and-slash video game known for its fast-paced action and spicy tongue-in-cheek fanservice. Asuka is a kunoichi-in-training at Hanzo Academy, and one of the most popular girls in the series, second only to Gessen Academy third-year Yumi, who would debut in a later game, Estival Versus, and would even be chosen as the SK representative in BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle.

Why Asuka?

As I've explained before, Senran Kagura made its debut on the Nintendo 3DS with Senran Kagura: Portrait of Girls, and since then has developed a very niche yet very dedicated fanbase. The series even spawned some anime, various spin-offs (including one important enough to be one of the games shown off at the Nintendo Switch Presentation two months before the console's release), and even a crossover with Hyperdimension Neptunia on two separate occasions.

Now I know you people have your horny bats ready to bonk me and send me to horny jail but to be entirely fair, Aphrodite was practically unavoidable the moment we voted Zagreus. Besides, we already have a character who is literally designed by a hentai artist in the form of Pyra & Mythra, and even with all their design tweaks for Smash they're still the #1 most fanservicey characters in Ultimate, so we already have some precedent. The two Aegises apparently even have jiggle physics, another notable feature in Senran Kagura. We could tweak Asuka to be more fitting in Smash just like with Pyra and Mythra, and unlike Mai Shiranui, Asuka's design shown above feels a little more conservative.

Even outside of the series, Nintendo and Marvelous have a great relationship with each other, working together to release Daemon X Machina as a timed Switch exclusive, and they've also worked together on other series such as Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, and even games like No More Heroes and the Fate/Extra series. They've even collaborated for some Pokémon arcade games!

How would Asuka play?

Despite its main draw being that the series is the video game equivalent of HighSchool DxD, its bigger main draw is its fast-paced combat. Asuka would be a character similar to two other ninja characters we have in Smash: Sheik and Greninja, being a fast-paced rushdown character with a heavy focus on combos. But unlike those two, she would be more air-focused, as that's a unique mechanic Senran Kagura possesses: Aerial Raves. Basically, if you time your dash after performing an attack that launches an enemy into the air, you basically pursue that launched enemy quickly to continue the combo in the air. This could work similarly in Smash: if Asuka launches an opponent into the air using an attack with high knockback and presses the Jump button during end-lag, she will dash towards them in an attempt to continue the combo. We could balance this by making it so she can only travel so far before she starts falling, as some opponents could be just knocked too far for her to reach.

As for other capabilities, she's a dual wielder with two wakizashi blades, and as such, she would possess swift, multi-hitting attacks. She also has the ability to summon a giant toad that can fight alongside her at the risk of hitting her as collateral. The toad could leap as part of an Up Special.

Final Words

You said you lowkey wanted her, Venus, so I decided to go through with this suggestion. I'm actually a little nervous about this one, in all honesty, lol. Oh, and before anyone critiques me for this suggestion...

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Howard 1.png

Blue
Male default
Howard 2.png

Blue
Female default
Howard 3.png

Black
Raven armor
Howard 4.png

Black
Raven armor
Howard 5.png

Yellow
Lappy
Howard 6.png

Yellow
Harold
Howard 7.png

Red
Drab Civies
Howard 8.png

Green
ARI Medical Gear
Howard 9.png

Brown
Yoseph
Howard 10.png

White
Olive
Howard 11.png

Orange
Kyle
Howard 12.png

Purple
Jena Anderson

I know we are submitting new characters for our next fighter but here's some chainariffic of some astralizing colors for a pair of Howards!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Screw it, I'll be submitting Sakura from Sakura Taisen/Sakura Wars for this job but it will have to wait until after I get off work tonight.
Question since I don’t know the series too much. Is Sakura Taisen known for its involvement with Nintendo systems or are those games that appeared on Nintendo systems more of a ported variety. Reason I ask is that from what I saw on Wikipedia, Sakura Taisen doesn’t appear much on a Nintendo system save for ports of one main game and then a few side games here and there. I would argue that isn’t isn’t exactly what we are looking for in this prompt as Sakura isn’t synonymous with Nintendo where as Bayonetta, Hero, Banjo, and Simon all have a deep and connected history via their franchise with the Nintendo consoles. I personally don’t think Sakura counts for this job for those above reasons.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Question since I don’t know the series too much. Is Sakura Taisen known for its involvement with Nintendo systems or are those games that appeared on Nintendo systems more of a ported variety. Reason I ask is that from what I saw on Wikipedia, Sakura Taisen doesn’t appear much on a Nintendo system save for ports of one main game and then a few side games here and there. I would argue that isn’t isn’t exactly what we are looking for in this prompt as Sakura isn’t synonymous with Nintendo where as Bayonetta, Hero, Banjo, and Simon all have a deep and connected history via their franchise with the Nintendo consoles. I personally don’t think Sakura counts for this job for those above reasons.
My argument for why this has a legacy with Nintendo is due to the fact that they were some of if not potentially the first Sega IPs to show up on a Nintendo system (the GB), yes, even before Sonic. I think that the fact of the matter is these games helped open the door to having SEGA be a household name for Nintendo fans as well.

The series has had three games on Nintendo, and has appeared in several crossovers that also are on Nintendo, notably, she's appeared in a game with Fire Emblem and Xenoblade characters.

The game that first came to the west was also initially a Wii exclusive iirc.

I think that should at the very least barely qualify her. If Agumon qualifies just for being from Pokemon's biggest rival, opening the door for SEGA titles on Nintendo platforms should qualify Sakura.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
My argument for why this has a legacy with Nintendo is due to the fact that they were some of if not potentially the first Sega IPs to show up on a Nintendo system (the GB), yes, even before Sonic. I think that the fact of the matter is these games helped open the door to having SEGA be a household name for Nintendo fans as well.

The series has had three games on Nintendo, and has appeared in several crossovers that also are on Nintendo, notably, she's appeared in a game with Fire Emblem and Xenoblade characters.

The game that first came to the west was also initially a Wii exclusive iirc.

I think that should at the very least barely qualify her. If Agumon qualifies just for being from Pokemon's biggest rival, opening the door for SEGA titles on Nintendo platforms should qualify Sakura.
I’m all for having Sakura in our game but I feel that Sakura and her series connection is flimsy at best. Digimon, on the other hand, has a few more games under their belt and the entire rivalry with Nintendo can be further proof to that legacy and connection to Nintendo. I feel even AiAi has a better connection to Nintendo when it boils down to it. From what I’m seeing with Sakura Taisen, there’s a port of a mainline game for the Wii back in 2010. Then there’s spin-offs of the series that started on the Gameboy but even then, it only produced two additional games for the GBC and DS. Not exactly a expansive Nintendo legacy for a series that has a number of titles if you understand where I’m going at. Bayonetta has only three titles but all titles are on a Nintendo system hence why she has a Nintendo legacy. Chrono only has one game but Chrono Trigger is synonymous with the Super Nintendo. From my experience in Japan, Sega was a household name for many people for quite some time; I wouldn’t think Sakura Taisen had that much impact on Sega’s visibility in Japan. Was this game localized in the West?

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
So, you always wanted them since Melee back when you were a wee lad, huh?

New Nintendo-Connected Third-Party Fighter - Bub and Bob (Bubble Bobble)
BubbleBobble.png

Who are Bub & Bob and What is Bubble Bobble?

Bubble Bobble is a multi-player platformer arcade game which was developed by Taito Corporation and released for arcades in 1986, which focuses on the twin brothers Bubblun and Bobblun (just think of them as :ultmario: and :ultluigi: turned into two :ultyoshi:'s), who were originally human boys before they were turned into Bubble Dragons (palette potential with existing characters) by the evil Super Drunk (or Grumple Grommit, depending on how you call him), who kidnapped their girlfriends Betty and Patty (who also turned into Bubble Dragons, Peb and Pab in sequels, who may work as alternate costumes) into the Cave of Monsters (a stage similar to Honest Slug Honest Slug 's submission, minus brothers as hazards 👌) alongside Baron von Blubba (or Skel-Monsta) under the orders of the Boss of Shadow (true antagonist who appeared in Rainbow Islands and Bubble Memories as Super Dark Great Dragon), attempting to rescue them by defeating enemies via blowing them by breathing bubbles and then popping them, thus turning them into food.

Later on, the game is followed by a long list of sequels and spin-offs such as Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars (in which brothers appear in their human forms as Bubby and Bobby) and the most famous example: Puzzle Bobble (also known as Bust-a-Move), which became successful in its own right and spawned it's own line of sequels.

Why These Two Deserve to be in Smash?

Taito Corporation, as we all know, is the original king of not only Japanese arcades, but the whole video game industry thanks to Space Invaders' world-wide release in 1978, with several of their games having been recognized as important and revolutionary (like starting the golden age of arcade games) before they were purchased by Square Enix in 2005, even maintaining a chain of arcade centers known as "Game Taito Stations" across Japan with iconic aliens showing up as their mascots, who we have as an Assist Trophy and spirits in the base game. Taito deserves to be represented even further thanks to their large impact on gaming history, and some recent games they made alongside Nintendo such as a milestone collection, Space Invaders Invincible Collection, etc.

Besides, much like Pac-Man and Terry Bogard with content from other Bandai-Namco/SNK classics respectively (fun fact: Puzzle Bobble was originally released on the Neo-Geo), Bub and Bob would also represent a company in whole with some moves (as demonstrated here), various music tracks and spirits such as Arkanoid, Elevator Action, Sonic Blast Man (:ultfalcon: is obviously going to be a host), Darius, KiKi KaiKai/Pocky & Rocky (now that we have Reimu), The New Zealand Story, Psychic Force (fellow fighting game chads like Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto , rise up!), The Ninja Warriors, Chack'n Pop (which is related with Bubble Bobble as it's predecessor with shared characters and a similar game structure), The Legend of Kage, Time Gal (Reika Kirishima was one of the original video game heroines before :ultsamus:), etc.

As a list above pointed it all out, the franchise has lots of games on many Nintendo consoles/systems, which makes it one of the most familiar series to a broad audience of gamers. The original arcade game itself has been ported to practically every single platform of it's time, viewed as a Nintendo Entertainment System cult classic and well-received by reviewers/critics, all thanks to it's cutesy aesthetics, charming premise, memorable soundtrack (just imagine potential remixes, tracks and choices as seen below), gameplay and multiple endings depending on how many secrets are discovered and a second player joining in, making the two-player/co-operative mode necessary to achieve the true ending, which became a tradition in following sequel installments (maybe they would be a Ice Climbers-like duo fighter to reference this?).

How They Will Work in a Fight?

As they're Bubble Dragons, Bub/Bob are quite small and light, yet nimble "keep-away" fighters who rely on a big diversity of projectiles and stage control, being able to perform tail swipes, claw slashes and headbutts to attack their opponents for melee moves, which is quite simple to tell out. Their natural ability to breath bubbles can be used for slightly damaging opponents, trapping them inside when charged up into bigger bubbles like in Bubble Memories and bouncing on top of them as temporary floating platforms before popping them far away with their spikes by jumping from below. They can also shoot three different Elemental Bubbles in a set order akin to Sora's Neutral Special such as Water (a stream that drags opponents in like Piplup's attack when released from a Poke Ball), Fire (a small fireball that drops a burning flame trail on the ground) and Lightning (a small thunder bolt that paralyzes opponents).

Bub can make use of a bubble catapult/cannon from the Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move series for his recovery/Up Special move by encasing himself inside a bubble as it shoots them into the air, able to adjust the firing angle by turning the control stick before releasing the button. Obviously, it would also be used for his Final Smash in which he jumps into the foreground of a stage (in other words, bottom of the screen) as a catapult/cannon (with Bob placing bubbles) and a few columns of colored bubbles appear, allowing Bub to fire bubbles which traps opponents inside as they fly into the top, even ricocheting off "walls" and blow them up with huge damage when clearing a column, basically working like in the games themselves.

In spin-off games where the twin brothers appeared as humans (even though they also play identically with bubble flutes in Bubble Symphony, maybe as costumes if we're creative enough), they are capable of summoning rainbow bridges (up to three by holding the button) forward as platforms that they can walk on or jump to drop it down while leaving a glittering powder and use their parasols/umbrellas to grab enemies before throwing them forward by swinging it, as shown in Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars respectively. These would easily work as their Side Special and unique strong grab move, which can also make them float in the air when holding a parasol upwards.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I’m all for having Sakura in our game but I feel that Sakura and her series connection is flimsy at best. Digimon, on the other hand, has a few more games under their belt and the entire rivalry with Nintendo can be further proof to that legacy and connection to Nintendo. I feel even AiAi has a better connection to Nintendo when it boils down to it. From what I’m seeing with Sakura Taisen, there’s a port of a mainline game for the Wii back in 2010. Then there’s spin-offs of the series that started on the Gameboy but even then, it only produced two additional games for the GBC and DS. Not exactly a expansive Nintendo legacy for a series that has a number of titles if you understand where I’m going at. Bayonetta has only three titles but all titles are on a Nintendo system hence why she has a Nintendo legacy. Chrono only has one game but Chrono Trigger is synonymous with the Super Nintendo. From my experience in Japan, Sega was a household name for many people for quite some time; I wouldn’t think Sakura Taisen had that much impact on Sega’s visibility in Japan. Was this game localized in the West?
Only two games in the series have been officially localized, but I do think like I said that the olive branch between Nintendo and SEGA is just as important as Digimon's rivalry with Nintendo and TPC, hell, if you want to be technical all of Digimon's most popular games are actually Playstation exclusives and spinoffs are relagated to Nintendo handhelds.

I'm just saying I feel like the Digimon connection is just as flimsy so I don't see why I can't submit Sakura on the virtues of helping be an olive branch between the two console rivals.

That said - Sakura is a primary reason SEGA is a household name in Japan. Back in the day her series routinely outsold even the hedgehog in their home country. She's essentially the mascot of Japanese SEGA, whereas Sonic is the mascot of American SEGA.

Oh, and again, she crossed over with FE and Xenoblade, so that gives a pretty strong Nintendo connection to me imo.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Only two games in the series have been officially localized, but I do think like I said that the olive branch between Nintendo and SEGA is just as important as Digimon's rivalry with Nintendo and TPC, hell, if you want to be technical all of Digimon's most popular games are actually Playstation exclusives and spinoffs are relagated to Nintendo handhelds.

I'm just saying I feel like the Digimon connection is just as flimsy so I don't see why I can't submit Sakura on the virtues of helping be an olive branch between the two console rivals.

That said - Sakura is a primary reason SEGA is a household name in Japan. Back in the day her series routinely outsold even the hedgehog in their home country. She's essentially the mascot of Japanese SEGA, whereas Sonic is the mascot of American SEGA.

Oh, and again, she crossed over with FE and Xenoblade, so that gives a pretty strong Nintendo connection to me imo.
There is that about the crossover and Sakura being the face of SEGA. I’m trying to draw distinctions between characters that also have a flimsy connection to Nintendo and the possible chance people would say “But you let in Sakura but why can’t you let in Monokuma/Nightmare/Dante/KOS-MOS/Marina Liteyears/Frank West/etc. I feel that if we were to draw a line in terms of what’s appropriate, than Sakura would probably be that line instead of goal shifting to appease people’s preferences and feelings if that makes sense. While the prompt didn’t directly dictate, the general feeling is we want a third party whose connection to Nintendo is a bit stronger and more visible than what Sakura offers. Sort of a honorary Nintendo character due to their legacy and lasting impact on the Nintendo history.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
There is that about the crossover and Sakura being the face of SEGA. I’m trying to draw distinctions between characters that also have a flimsy connection to Nintendo and the possible chance people would say “But you let in Sakura but why can’t you let in Monokuma/Nightmare/Dante/KOS-MOS/Marina Liteyears/Frank West/etc. I feel that if we were to draw a line in terms of what’s appropriate, than Sakura would probably be that line instead of goal shifting to appease people’s preferences and feelings if that makes sense. While the prompt didn’t directly dictate, the general feeling is we want a third party whose connection to Nintendo is a bit stronger and more visible than what Sakura offers. Sort of a honorary Nintendo character due to their legacy and lasting impact on the Nintendo history.
So I'm guessing that's she's not allowed then?

Well, I guess I can only hope Nahobino or AiAi don't win then.

Also, speaking of Nahobino, how the hell does he qualify and not a more legacy SMT character?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Jibanyan is fine.
Huzzah!

Third Party with Nintendo Connection: Jibanyan
JibanyanArtwork.png

Jibanyan is the mascot of the Yo-kai Watch series by Level-5. A Yo-kai born from a cat who got run over by a truck, Jibanyan now has a vendetta against any and all automobiles, and trains to one day DESTROY THEM ALL! Starting with YW2, he moves into Nate's (the canonical human protagonist) house after being kicked out of his old place, and joins him on all of his adventures.

Yo-kai Watch got it's start on the 3DS, and during it's Western debut, was even treated as a Nintendo IP, showing up alongside the likes of Mario and Pokemon in advertising. Speaking of Pokemon, it (albeit unintentionally) gained a bit of a rivalry with the House of Pika, one that many atribute to its subsequant fall, even if it was more the fault of game journalists than the games themselves. But yeah, almost every game in the series has been released on Nintendo, be it mainline or spinoff titles. If that doesn't count as a Nintendo connection, I don't know what does.

Jibanyan himself would attack with his paws, being a cat and all, and both swipe at his enemies and unleash his signature Paws of Fury Soultimate Move. He can also launch fireballs due to being a Fire Elemental Yo-kai, and can Inspirit his enemies to hinder their stats temporarily. He has a lot of moveset potential for your typical "caught monster" archtype, or whatever we call it.

D

Deleted member

Also, speaking of Nahobino, how the hell does he qualify and not a more legacy SMT character?
I guess there they are counting the series as a whole.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

I have yet to fully decide on it. I’ll discuss it with the leadership team :). Nahobino technically gets a mulligan as he is connected to SMT which itself has a connection with Nintendo since the beginning. This is something that other franchises don’t have sadly. I’ll let you know know what’s decided.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I fiddled around with the ideas of submitting Hayabusa, Amaterasu, Farmer, and possibly Professor Layton but ultimately decided on the character …

Chrono

Chrono Trigger was first released on the SNES on 1995 by Square which would give rise to a spiritual sequel Chrono Cross. Despite having only one game of a Nintendo system, Chrono Trigger became the epitome of what the SNES was capable of at the time and solidified itself as a huge benchmark in gaming history. It’s been labeled as one of the most influential RPG games in history and recognized by the Guinness Book of Records as the 32nd most influential game in gaming history.

Furthermore, the series sold over 2 million units in Japan during its first two months back in 1995 which showed that the game wasn’t a sleeper hit but one that had tons of hype and attention brought to it. Talk to any gamer who grew up in the 90’s and Chrono Trigger and SNES will fall together somewhere in that discussion. Even my sports-loving cousin who only played Madden and Ken Griffey Jr games had and managed to beat Chrono Trigger which caused him to move from sports game and pick up games such as Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, and Secret of Mana.

But why Chrono. He is just an anime swordsdude

And magic user! Chrono is capable of using Lightning Magic as his disposal as well. Chrono would be a nice foil for the complexity that was Zagreus with a more straightforward movement that still utilizes an MP gauge. If we want to get SUPER GIMMICKY though, he could perhaps use combination techs that he gained via his teammates. Perhaps he could perform unique special attacks when teamed up with someone like Peach, Greninja, Mario, or Samus? I would rather go a more simplistic route. Anyways, Chrono could use a number of attacks such as Cyclone, Wind Slash, Lightning, Cleave, Lightning II, and Frenzy. If combination attacks, then Ice Sword, Fire Whirl, Megavolt, etc. So yes, Chrono would be a magical sword user with an MP bar with, perhaps, more in your face sword fighting action than Hero or Robin.

But….THINK OF THE CONTENT!!!!

One thing that drew me into this series wasn’t the characters per say but was the world. Mine you, time travel within gaming and I mean active time travel was t a huge plot device. It existed but not to this extent. Going back several decades to centuries and seeing the world change to such an extent blew up my brain. It was crazy and I remember spending days just doing this. Heck, you can even fight the main boss right off the bat by going to several years in the future! That’s crazy when considering that this was a 1995 game and I feel this aspect of it truly shows that this game is deserving of its legacy.

Now, we could discuss at length what an appropriate stage would be. Probably one that would shift through the eons. Frog was be my ideal assist trophy should we add one. The series has a number of enemies and bosses to include plus tons of amazing spirit ideas. But I feel the biggest advantage to include Chrono Trigger is the music. There’s very few soundtracks that I will shamelessly plug into a discussion. I’m a huge fan of Mass Effect but the soundtrack is raspberries. It’s alright but not the best. In reality, the two …. three greatest soundtracks I have heard in my life was Final Fantasy X, NieR Automata, and Chrono Trigger. And I have heard a lot of soundtracks but these were easily my most favorite of them all.

Chrono Trigge music was be amazing in Smash and, much like 2B, is my driving forth to wanting to see these characters in Smash. It’s largely why I wanted Sora just to get Utada Hikaru music despite it….well…imploding on my.

Here are a few of my choice tracks:

And this amazing gem…

But why this series?

Sadly, Square has been rather silent on Chrono Trigger over the years but it’s importance to Nintendo and gaming can be understated. The game is considered one of the greatest RPGs of all time and credited for redefining the genre while being recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the 32nd most influential game of all time. The game also sold over two million units back in 1995 in Japan which is amazing. This all happened just under six generations ago in a world of 16-bit gaming yet this one was able to accomplish so much as still continues to age well. So much so that Square hasn’t seen a need to introduce another game in the series or even do an HD remake of the original. They are content with its original appearance and the fans are as well. The series saw a new game, Chrono Cross, plus a PlayStation Port for Trigger in 1999 with anime cutscenes. This was eventually ported to the DS in the 2000’s and eventually the Wii. This shows that Chrono’s home is indeed on a Nintendo system. In fact, his legacy is largely confined to Nintendo and one particular system that lacks a representative. Banjo found his legacy on the N64, Shulk and Rosalina found theirs on the Wii, Min-Min and Rex found theirs on the Switch, and Duck Hunt found theirs on the NES. The SNES is one of the few home consoles, other than the Wii U, who doesn’t have a representative fighter whose legacy was founded and forged on that system. King K Rool debuted but continued said legacy on the N64 and GameCube. Chrono’s legacy is synonymous with the SNES. I feel that this legacy and his connection to this system who has largely been forgotten by Smash to be 101% worthy of inclusion in Infinite.

In Closing

I talk about how some of the characters we included aren’t my personal favs or even ones I like. It’s true but I know people were happy to see them added and I am in turn happy. That’s partially me just being silly and contrarian. Now, that being said, a few characters on my life are ones I REALLY want us to add into this game. Those being Skull Kid, Chrono, 2B, and Fulgore. Now, Skull Kid was a dud. I just ask for once to take a look at the legacy Chrono Trigger left for the SNES and helped shape that system and modern RPG games today and make your decision if you feel Chrono Trigger should he honored in one of the greatest crossovers in history.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

The job was more whole series', not individual characters. As well, I think Nahobino is the most fitting SMT rep under the Nintendo themeing. SMT V is on track to sell 1 million copies which is a near breakthrough to mainstream and definitely far more recognizable than Flynn or Nanashi. The Demi-fiend is quite popular and I'd say Nocturne is the most recognizable game but SMT III: Nocturne didn't get a Nintendo release until this very recent port.

The Hero from Shin Megami Tensei and Aleph from SMT II are potential contenders but their games have never released outside of Japan unless you want to count the iOS port of the first SMT that was available for about a year before never being updated for modern OS systems leaving in unable to be played anymore. And Doomguy from Strange Journey is a character from a side SMT game. Well, I'm not going to get into the arguments of the terminology of SMT spin-offs or else I'd be here all day.

Besides, if we're going to talk about legacy, there's no way using demons can't be a part of his moveset... well in a way that wouldn't make him a summoner! EEP! Maybe something like a bootleg Arsene where swapping demons changes his specials or something- er- we can get there if he even wins. I digress, Nahobino would use timeless classical demons such as Jack Frost or Mothman who have been mainstays since the original Famicom duology.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I fiddled around with the ideas of submitting Hayabusa, Amaterasu, Farmer, and possibly Professor Layton but ultimately decided on the character …

Chrono

Chrono Trigger was first released on the SNES on 1995 by Square which would give rise to a spiritual sequel Chrono Cross. Despite having only one game of a Nintendo system, Chrono Trigger became the epitome of what the SNES was capable of at the time and solidified itself as a huge benchmark in gaming history. It’s been labeled as one of the most influential RPG games in history and recognized by the Guinness Book of Records as the 32nd most influential game in gaming history. Furthermore, the series sold over 2 million units in Japan during its first two months back in 1995 which showed that the game wasn’t a sleeper hit but one that had tons of hype and attention brought to it. Talk to any gamer who grew up in the 90’s and Chrono Trigger and SNES will fall together somewhere in that discussion. Even my sports-loving cousin who only played Madden and Ken Griffey Jr games had and managed to beat Chrono Trigger which caused him to move from sports game and pick up games such as Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, and Secret of Mana.

But why Chrono. He is just an anime swordsdude

And magic user! Chrono is capable of using Lightning Magic as his disposal as well. Chrono would be a nice foil for the complexity that was Zagreus with a more straightforward movement that still utilizes an MP gauge. If we want to get SUPER GIMMICKY though, he could perhaps use combination techs that he gained via his teammates. Perhaps he could perform unique special attacks when teamed up with someone like Peach, Greninja, Mario, or Samus? I would rather go a more simplistic route. Anyways, Chrono could use a number of attacks such as Cyclone, Wind Slash, Lightning, Cleave, Lightning II, and Frenzy. If combination attacks, then Ice Sword, Fire Whirl, Megavolt, etc. So yes, Chrono would be a magical sword user with an MP bar with, perhaps, more in your face sword fighting action than Hero or Robin.

But….THINK OF THE CONTENT!!!!

One thing that drew me into this series wasn’t the characters per say but was the world. Mine you, time travel within gaming and I mean active time travel was t a huge plot device. It existed but not to this extent. Going back several decades to centuries and seeing the world change to such an extent blew up my brain. It was crazy and I remember spending days just doing this. Heck, you can even fight the main boss right off the bat by going to several years in the future! That’s crazy when considering that this was a 1995 game and I feel this aspect of it truly shows that this game is deserving of its legacy.

Now, we could discuss at length what an appropriate stage would be. Probably one that would shift through the eons. Frog was be my ideal assist trophy should we add one. The series has a number of enemies and bosses to include plus tons of amazing spirit ideas. But I feel the biggest advantage to include Chrono Trigger is the music. There’s very few soundtracks that I will shamelessly plug into a discussion. I’m a huge fan of Mass Effect but the soundtrack is raspberries. It’s alright but not the best. In reality, the two …. three greatest soundtracks I have heard in my life was Final Fantasy X, NieR Automata, and Chrono Trigger. And I have heard a lot of soundtracks but these were easily my most favorite of them all.

Chrono Trigget music was be amazing in Smash and, much like 2B, is my driving forth to wanting to see these characters in Smash. It’s largely why I wanted Sora just to get Utada Hikaru music despite it….well…imploding on my.

Here are a few of my choice tracks:

And this amazing gem…

In Closing

I talk about how some of the characters we included aren’t my personal favs or even ones I like. It’s true but I know people were happy to see them added and I am in turn happy. That’s partially me just being silly and contrarian. Now, that being said, a few characters on my life are ones I REALLY want us to add into this game. Those being Skull Kid, Chrono, 2B, and Fulgore. Now, Skull Kid was a dud. I just ask for once to take a look at the legacy Chrono Trigger left for the SNES and helped shape that system and modern RPG games today and make your decision if you feel Chrono Trigger should he honored in one of the greatest crossovers in history.
I don't care if I'm double posting but Chrono is getting a vote from me, yes sir! :D

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Aha, an opportunity that isn't a double post to shill music from the Shin Megami Tensei series!

A boss theme that plays for various demons such as Ishtar and Baal. Also a 97% chance to make you start dancing furiously.

The theme of the final area of Da'at in the game. Truly gives off the sense that this is the last area.

Another banger, its most iconic appearance probably against Fionn mac Cumhaill.

The ending music that plays when you beat the game. Unlike other credit themes that make you feel accomplished for beating the game, SMT's credit tracks always make you feel a bit somber inside, like you completed it but at what cost?

The battle theme versus the mysterious character Alex who attempts to murder you at every opportunity in Strange Journey Redux

A snazzy banger boss track featuring the power of friendship from the Persona Megami Tensei series,

Tokyo thrives amidst the chaos of demonkind but only in darkness. Truly, it is on its last breath...

Another snazzy banger boss track! Walter used Agi!

In the first age, in the first battle...

ONE MORE GOD REJECTED!- Wait, what do you mean the lyrics are actually "War broke out in heaven."?

We're in the endgame now...

When you reject all ideologies and creation itself yet you also deny your humanity and embrace the true demon within you. All that stands before you is the final battle. The TRUE DEMON final battle!

The Fiend theme as you know it actuall originated in if...

Praise be to your lord and saviour for he is just and the only one fit to rule!

The battle theme that started it all, go kick some demon butt now.

D

Deleted member

Ryu Hyabusa

The main character of Koei Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden series as well as the Dead or Alive series.

A Ninja from the Hayabusa clan and eventual weidler of the legendry Dragon Sword. Ryu is actually has demonic heritage, giving him demonic abilities alongside his incredible Ninja skills.

He could alternate costumes for both his classic and modern designs.

Ryu is one of the last big NES icons left to add to Smash, and would fit in alongside the likes of Mega Man and Simon Belmont. His original three games were all on the NES and his later games and games in the Dead or Alive series would receive ports to Nintendo platforms.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I have yet to fully decide on it. I’ll discuss it with the leadership team :). Nahobino technically gets a mulligan as he is connected to SMT which itself has a connection with Nintendo since the beginning. This is something that other franchises don’t have sadly. I’ll let you know know what’s decided.
Well I suppose just let me know ASAP. I'd like to do a writeup before I have to go to work tomorrow if it's allowed :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom