• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
side b is a noose tether
Jesus Christ, can we not do **** like this? As someone who had a friend kill themselves via hanging, this is in extremely poor taste.

In fact, I'm just gonna say it. Characters intrinsically linked to themes of suicide and depression shouldn't be here, PERIOD. These are incredibly serious issues and have no ****ing place in a silly platform fighter. As someone who's lost several friends to suicide, and has serious, life-ruining depression, can we keep that **** out of here? Please?

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So my basic takes on this:

-Lara, Slayer, Ahri, Ezio and Frisk are prolly our best bets

-I do also like Guybrush and Miner Willy, these feel like cool historical picks. I can dig it

-CJ would be the funniest thing ever but I dunno if we should actually do it

-Sunny is a pick that feels.....in really bad taste, honestly. Not comfortable with it at all.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
This was announced just last month.
Exactly mentioned this back in my submission alongside Sea of Thieves' easter egg (A Pirate's Life expansion was released right the last year), but you made a good point on bringing that up again.

Plus, for GaminGryff to tell, there's been some relevance in recent years like a fact that the whole series was released on Steam (with Tales returning to it and GOG.com from being de-listed) and Limited Run Games' physical anthology collection boxset in 2020 to celebrate it's 30th anniversary.

Heck, even The Curse of Monkey Island is included as one of the free games in Amazon Prime's line-up this month. Give the series a try if you guys want to, I promise it'll be worth of it.

(chuckles) Ironically, what you said about Guybrush's name, the series has a running gag where other characters often misnamed or cannot pronounce it right, only for him to correct them.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Miner Willy really is scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's obscure, irrelevant to modern gaming, and comes from a non-existent studio now; in addition to being from a game with basically one move. Pass on this.
Like, you know I can see someone going "No way, Ezio!? Holy **** I didn't even expect him!?" but can I see that with Miner Willy? Hahaha...
I don't think you understand - that's the point. To introduce non-Brits to an important part of British gaming history that's quickly becoming more and more overlooked.

Also "one move" lmao, Willy has no moves.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Even if I'm not too invested in Willy and didn't vote for him, I don't see the issue with including a a lesser known character and introducing them to a new audience. How many kids new Ness before Smash 64? How much of the Smash fanbase knew Terry? And now he's pretty regarded as one of the most liked DLC additions.
Ive known Terry since I was 7 :x

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Also Penguin is in kind of an awkward spot because yeah it's Disney so it already has ties to Smash, Disney has basixally abandoned the IP. They cancelled the original, rebooted it and that flopped badly and now all you have is CP Rewritten which also is getting taken down. I mean I know there are songs from games you can't play anymore like Minecraft Console Minigames and Earth but a whole character, idk.
This is actually a very good point and one that I considered while writing up my submission. There are "dead" characters who have made it in like R.O.B., but the difference between someone like him and Penguin is that for one, he's first party, and for two, you can still technically play with a R.O.B. toy.
I think Penguin can overcome these, though. While they may be owned by one of the greediest companies on the planet, it's also a company who doesn't care about what their most popular original game series is doing so long as it's making money, and will give the license to whoever is willing to pay up :ultsora:so I think the same would go for Penguin. Also, you can still play the games that were released on Nintendo, so there's something at least. And who knows, maybe getting in Smash is exactly what Club Penguin needs to get back off the ground!
I know voting's practically over so there's not a huge point to this discussion anymore, I just like talking about this stuff :p

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Because it would force creativity as opposed to directly lifting powers. That's one of the many reasons I prefer 64/Melee/Brawl moveset design over Namco era.
Has I said before, I don't think "force creativity" is an actual good thing, isn't like you can't make smash-exclusive moves for a character either for adapt a non-combat mechanic (like the Villager's pocket) or because it actually fits the character (like most normals of Little Mac coming from actual boxing moves). If basically the 99% of a moveset should be created for scrap then maybe the character isn't made for the game after all.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Has I said before, I don't think "force creativity" is an actual good thing, isn't like you can't make smash-exclusive moves for a character either for adapt a non-combat mechanic (like the Villager's pocket) or because it actually fits the character (like most normals of Little Mac coming from actual boxing moves). If basically the 99% of a moveset should be created for scrap then maybe the character isn't made for the game after all.
To me, the only appeal of adapting a game is creative liberties - be that into a crossover, as a sequel/spin-off, or even as a localisation. If there's no creative liberties taken and original concepts created, it's worthless. I don't want to see moves and abilities I've already seen, I want something new and weird, based just loosely on the source. That's what almost every character submission I make to every creation thread is based on.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was able to get through the results a bit quicker. I apologize for the bare bones presentation as I’m a bit busy today. Here are the results!

Name3 Points2 Points1 PointTotal
Spyro2 (6)039
Joanna Dark0011
Freddi Fish0011
Monika2 (6)
1 (2)
Miner Willy2 (6)017
Lara Croft5 (15)1 (2)320
Frisk1 (3)2 (6)110
Gill Grunt1 (3)1 (2)15
Ahri2 (6)7 (14)020
Doom Slayer3 (9)1 (2)516
Recruit01 (2)24
Ezio1 (3)1 (2)15
Shepard1 (3)003
Sunny02 (4)04
Penguin1 (3)4 (8)112
CJ2 (6)1 (2)19
Captain Price1 (3)014
Guybrush02 (4)15

Please click below to see the results!
Ahri & Lara Croft

Due to both gals getting 20 points, we have a tie so we will have to do a tiebreaker. I will be starting in via Google forms in a little while.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'm more familiar with Ahri than I am with Lara Croft on account that I have never played Tomb Raider in my life and that I have a better grasp on League of Legends's gameplay.

Plus, LoL had a massive impact on streaming and eSports, and we wouldn't have the "Mr. Samurai Presents" presentations today if it weren't for LoL.

D

Deleted member

Hey if league girl wins we'll have three red characters in a row, right? I guess she does have other looks though.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Both of these are excellent picks and both worthy for inclusion, in my opinion; and I voted for both.

Between the two, I give a slight edge in want to Lara, due solely to her legacy. She'd probably be more simple and not have a gimmick beyond being able to run and jump while shooting.

Ahri's the best possible pick for League because she's got the most market appeal, and as a bonus has a very Eastern aesthetic making her an easier sell for a League character there; she also has potential for both a gimmick themed after MOBA cooldowns like in League itself (a gimmick Multiversus is even playing around with) or potentially something with lane switching to modify her attacks' stats, a la Ruined King's lane system.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I personally like the idea of Ahri has League is such a huge game and has had such an impact on the industry. Not to mention Ahri brings in a magical play style that could focus on incorporating status effects and buffs like Shulk. Also, League has tons of characters and content to draw from. That’s not to say I don’t support Lara. I just think Ahri is the more enticing option in this particular season.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I hate League of Legends, anyone who plays League plays no other games, it is a soul sucking game, your honor, League of Legends is indeed death.

But I think it would be cool in Smash lol, that said I'm not exactly sure what makes Ahri specifically special. I'm not familiar with her other than the Smash Ultimate leak and that one animation, you know the one. I'm just putting good faith that she is a popular character in League according to the submitter.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
My personal pick is Ahri. While Lara has so much going for her and is a phenomenal choice overall, I really like that Ahri reps a new genre and would bring worldwide appeal. While Japan isnt super hot on LoL, Korea and China dominate to the level that USA Mens Basketball dominates the Olympics. And obviously the west loves it too.

If I cant get my Bioshock or Far Cry reps in League of Legends is my next big pick

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I am ready and willing to admit that Ahri would probably have a cooler moveset than Lara, but it's Lara Croft! Too timelessly cool to ignore.

If we get Ahri we should go ham with alternate costumes like Sora.

Default, Spirit Blossom, K.DA, and Arcade are all cool and should all be alts.

If we do Lara she should at least have one skin that's the blocky classic version as well haha
Very important question, if Ahri gets in can we get K/DA as stage music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom